(2013/06) June 2013

mummy nc,
yes, i hoping for natural if baby is co-operative! I also going tmc
happy.gif

CNY is here at the right time for us, now that we're in our feasting mode and before we get too heavy in our final trimester heh heh :9~ I'm a hungry mama!

Hi Mummies,

Work has been so busy. Can't wait for the week to end.. =(

Mummync: Don't worry so much. Your baby will be healthy. Will keep you in my prayers.

Kris: I've put on 3 kg so far from 12 weeks till 20 weeks. Seems a little slow...

May
Hazeline snow my mom use it to put on face. Normally she use on bb, so I follow. Hehe......to get smoother skin.

mabelths, ya good to shop in US, things are much cheaper.. just a suggestion, u may want to buy thermometer in US. i bought a Braun ear thermometer online, much cheaper than in SG.

im 22 weeks, also put on about 5 kg already..

thanks jassie!

i bought most of my stuff from US also..coz cheaper..jus did a round of baby clothes purchase after i found out the gender..haha in my mind i haf most stuff alrdy coz from #1 time so abit complacent now n never really tink thru wat i need..but if i bother tinking thru..i tink i will realise..some items esp small small ones like hanky n towels v hard to share coz they r normally tagged w my boy's name for his CC.. n really gotta start setting up some of the bigger stuff soon..now the playpen is like a 'storage' for stuff toy n my boy goes in once in awhile..he needs to know tt mei mei is gonna slp in there soon..so mus try to get him to relinquish it..

I'm 21 weeks tomorrow with #3, put on 1.3kg so far..

Kris - I saw the Beaba baby espresso machine thing in Switzerland last year. Not sure if its useful cos the water temp it dispenses is around 37-40 deg? I think most Singaporean mummies will find this too "cold" for baby formula. Also quite ex if I'm not wrong. But can try lah and tell us how it goes, hee.

Just to share, for bottle steriliser I have both the traditional "steamer" type and microwave version; find the microwave one better and faster cos it only takes 2-3 min and very compact, so its easier to store away after you don't need it anymore. And if mummies planning on total breastfeeding and only need to sterilise the pump parts and occasional bottle, the microwave version is cheaper and better. Hths!

super tiring day..having a headache now from work
sad.gif

mummync: dont worry i think as long as gynae says both u and baby's weight is ok will be fine?
my friend who's underweight and loss weight still during her pregnancy due to MS delivered a healthy baby
happy.gif

mummync.. yeah i agree with mabelths.. one of my gf lost weight during her preg due to terrible ms throughout delivered a very chubby baby 2 months ago! She herself is now back in shape. (maybe that's a plus point after birth too?
happy.gif
)

thanks girls..yeah i asked my dr..he said for now no probs..as long as baby is growing but just eat more lor...haha jus hope i dont affect the baby down the line..

all will be well!
happy.gif

ah..i'm suddenly snacking alot today...dont know why keep feeling like munching..hahaaa.finished up 5 cookies in one go! hahaaa

Evening mummies.. Finally finish my work and leaving office soon.

mummync & Lilac > Stay positive! All will be fine..

Kome > Thanks for the list! I was just looking on my list and most of it is there..

I added on a few more items here as this is my #1. Additional are:
- Breast pads (as I will be BF)
- Baby nail clipper
- Bath tub
- Thermal flask (to bring out)

Mummies, I have a few questions..

1. Is infant car seat really required? I will be buying carriers and hubby will be the one driving us around so am thinking if it's still required.

2. Is it necessary to buy pram / stroller before delivery? Based on ur experience, do I need to buy it so early since I am intending to use carriers? I am thinking of looking for it at a later time when baby is ard 3 mths onwards..

3. This is a weird question to #2 & #3 mummies.. May I check what is the avg head circumference for your kids? I saw on web it is normally 13" onwards.. I am going to knit a newborn hat for my boy to wear home and want to play safe side so it will not be too big.

Thanks!

Jasmine
Don't think too much and take care.

wy_june
I put the breastpad under the other list for mummy. AAs for bath tub, normally hospital will give so i never include it in. Haha......as for thermal flask, i have alot so never include also. But u are right, i should put that in also. to make sure.

For car seat, base on my experience. It is not suitable for baby under 3 mths as their back bone is not that strong. But as soon as you feel that the bb is suitable already immediately let them get use to sit in it so that they will not be cranky wanted mommy or daddy to carry instead of siting in the car seat.

Stroller/Pram
If you are going out by yourself, using a carrier is good but if your hubby is going out together best to have a stroller as you will be carry alot of bb items out when they are young. Not good for mommy to keep carry heavy things.

Wyjune -
the average head circumference must be 34cm and below for normal vaginal delivery. Any bigger usually require c-section. So you can take that as a guide. Both my girls' head circumference was 34 although one weighed 2.7kg and the other weighed 3.65kg.. So baby's weight didnt seem to make a difference. From what I've seen of my friends' newborns its usually between 31-35cm. Hth.

As for infant car seat, it is definitely safer for the baby to be in a properly installed carseat than to be carried in arms in a moving vehicle. If you were to give birth overseas, ie UK or US or even Europe, you won't be allowed to leave the hospital without infant carseat and the nurses will check to make sure it is properly installed. Even when we left the hospital in a taxi still needed to have proper infant carseat. Otherwise the taxi wouldn't accept you. So anyway my kids have been in carseats from day one. If you buy the better brands such as maxi cosy or britax it is actually very comfortable for the baby.

Singapore doesn't enforce carseat rules so it depends on what you think is best for your child.

As for strollers, it is not necessary to buy now, my first kid was in a sling until she got too heavy at around 7-8 months.
happy.gif

Btw if you're breastfeeding your baby there isn't much to bring outside. Just diapers, wipes, a bib or nappy cloth to burp baby, extra set of clothes, breast pads for mummy. Oh, and either nursing cover or baby blanket so that you don't need to confine yourself to a nursing room. All these are quite light and manageable to carry if slinging baby and out on your own.

If feeding formula you can also just fill the sterilised milk bottles with hot water, put them in a warmer bag and just add formula when baby needs to drink.

That way you save on bringing a thermos flask out which can be quite heavy.

I only found a thermos flask necessary during winter. Otherwise if in Singapore or during summer just bringing the bottles pre-filled with warm water is sufficient.

Actually I feel tt infant carseat is a must esp if u guys travel a lot by car...u may think u won't go out much initially...but goin hm from hosp..going for BB appt...safer to haf baby in car seat...esp at such a small age..u won't really b holding baby in such a tight embrace n if suddenly brake..night cause more harm..actually in spore by law u need a car seat...I know of ppl who got fine for carry baby in car..even while bf

Mummync - I totally agree on the carseat part but I think most Singaporeans tend to prefer carrying babies in arms.. At least i always see ppl carrying babies rather than having them in carseats. Find it very unsafe esp since drivers are more impatient these days. I mean, we ourselves have seatbelts on so it doesn't make sense that the most vulnerable member of the family is only in arms..

My hubby had a mild accident once where he hit the bumper of the car in front. Even with my seatbelt on I hit the windscreen with my head and was quite dazed for a while from the impact. Can't imagine what would have happened if the kids weren't in carseats.. Driver tend to be ok when they jam-break because they already know its going to happen and their bodies react instinctively to minimise impact but passengers don't have this window of response time.

I quite kiasu lah, to me investing in a good carseat is even more important than buying strollers..

Morning,

Want to seek advice from all mummies here. I got a wisdom tooth which is causing me pain everyday but still bearable. Dental doctor suggested me to do an operation to remove it. Is it safe to do this type of operation now?

Car seat
Yes, i do agree that car seat is more important now. For me is i will try to take public transport if there is really a need for me to go out when bb is less than 3 mths. My car seat actually is pass down from another person, so actually the car seat is not suitable for babies less than 3 mths. The car seat that i have cannot actually adjust to a laying position which i find it not very good for babies bone that is still soft. If can invest a good car seat actually is better to put at car seat since young.

Good morning mummies!

Kome > Oh ya.. I saw some post saying hospitals give free bath tub. Maybe I will hold back on that item first.. I just combine all in a list and strike off when I start purchasing haha!

absentmama & mummync > Thanks mummies for ur feedback! Yeap, I just googled and realised that it is mandatory by law since Jan 2012..

I will start researching on car seats soon.. Also, what's your take on buying 2 separate car seats (infant > 2nd stage) vs. combination car seat? I have not walked around but don't see much online.. The 2 main brands I saw are Maxi Cosi and Britax..

hello! i agree with absentmama and mummync, i think a car seat is essential.

mummync, lilac,
stay positive!

Kome, I think if the dentist knows you're pregnant and still suggest removing the wisdom tooth it's probably ok? Or you can call your gynae to check too.

Wyjune - for the carseats, we have one that's for 0-9mths, then the next stage from 9-18kg. And then a Britax toddler seat for my 3 yr old.

The stage 0+ carseat is cosier for the newborn stage.

Some ppl prefer having combination carseats to save money cos bb will outgrow it quite quickly. But if you're planning on having 2 or more kids close together then its worthwhile to buy 2 separate ones.. Depending on the baby's size and weight some outgrow the infant carseat earlier but others still can fit in after 1yr old.

I think maxi cosy and britax are the more reliable brands (at least overseas that's what most ppl use). Or maybe cos the European markets only carry 2 or 3 brands!! Cos the carseats sold there have to pass very strict regulations.

I also have a Combi coccoro carseat which my 17mth toddler is using now. That one is not bad too. My girl is very tall and still sleeps comfortably in it on longer drives.

As for the maxi cosy carseat, it is also compatible with some brands of strollers so you may want to keep that in mind when shopping for one.

morning mummies!

wy_june, Kome, absentmama: thanks for all your valuable inputs! i better start taking note..hehe

Kome: yea..i agree with absentmama..i guess u check with both dentist and gynae to see if the wisdom tooth extraction is ok..i know some only requires local anesthesia, those may be ok, but those requiring GA i dont think they will recommend. i removed 4 wisdom teeth last time and mine were fully impacted, so required GA.

to all other mummies, as for carseat, i heard from my friend who is in the police-force that it is actually mandatory to have a carseat if u have an infant in the car...unless u strap the infant with a carrier on the parent and the parent must sit at the back seat.

morning mummies.. its a must to have car seat cos we got checked by the TP before.. so best to get one..

@absentmama > how much is ur combi coccoro car seat? is it very bulky & can we use it for infant or toddler? i dont think my car is spacious enough for two bulky car seats.. )=

btw which place sells cheaper car seat? kaki bukit?

For stroller, do you think theres a need to buy twin stroller? i have a 3yo gal and she dont really wanna walk nowadays and just want me to carry her.. i cant imagine what will happen when #2 is out... headache...

anyway, any good recommendation on catering for full month celebration? i wanna start early this time..

Hapieger,

My Combi carseat was bought 3 yrs ago so I think the price prob quite different these days
happy.gif

Since your girl is already 3 would she be interested in standing on buggy board attached to your stroller? I posted a link before on the FB group for this 2-in-1 buggy board from Netherlands which comes with a seat so that your child can choose whether to stand or sit.

Although I do have a double stroller, I still got the buggy board cos my 3yr old only uses the stroller to nap. Rest of the time she prefers to walk or stand or the buggy board.

I haf a maxi cosi infant one which I use together w my Quincy stroller so tt if baby aslp during the ride..I don't need to wake him when I carry him to transfer to stroller..jus lift the carseat n transfer whole thing..my kid was tall so he sat in a normal carseat at 9m..coz he didn't like the recline position n also kept kicking against the seat for rear facing..alaltho the recommendation is to delay as late as possible..esp in US they try to delay to 2-3 yo..but here we upgrade them earlier..but now this is gd..coz the infant one freed up for #2 n by the time #2 is ready btw 9m-1yo to upgrade...I will buy a booster for my #1 cos he will be almost 3yo...so may b worth to invest in diff seats esp if it's ur first

yes i agree car seat is very important..even if the kid wanna scream n cry...

some battle we fight with kids we can give in..but the battle on car seat cannot give it..its very dangerous not seated in car seat...

the only time i let the baby come out is when i need to breastfeed.in OZ..if u breast feed, u need to stop the car coz the child is no longer in the car seat..its against the rule..

Kome > Perhaps you might want to check with your gynae? The only concern I can think of is the antibiotics. I did local anasthesia for 3 wisdom tooth surgery previously and was given 1 wk of antibiotics to complete..

absentmama > Thanks so much for the info! Information overload now as I was also reading a bit on the internet earlier on..

Seems like separate car seats is better den combination. I was looking at solely infant car seat initially as well coz I feel the reclined position is very impt for their spine. Yeap, saw on Mothercare that it is compatible with Quinny which was on my mind.. Gosh so many things to read up for reviews and feature details!

P/S: Is the author of the book u recommend by Diana West? I googled and the result is "The Breastfeeding Mother's Guide to Making More Milk".

mummync > May I check which model of infant car seat did you buy? I was looking at a few sites and commonly saw Maxi Cosi Pebble..

Not sure if I am over paranoid but I realised that I still have so much to read up on despite of what I have been reading and doing now..

Thanks ladies. I have called the clinic and the nurse advise me to go see gynae first before making appointment for my wisdom tooth extraction. I have brought forward my appointment from 19 to tmr. Coz i believe that making the appointment to do wisdom tooth extraction will takes about 1 week or more.

I only have 1 wisdom tooth to extract, think will not be so bad. What I am worry about is that during my first pregnancy, i have high blood pressure. Worry that when i go for my wisdom tooth extraction, i will be too scare till my blood pressure come back (touch wood).

Yup it's by Diana West. I found it a very useful book even though my supply was ok.
But then when my girl was unwell and not taking much from the breast, supply can literally drop very quickly over a few days so the info in the book was very helpful in terms of what to do to keep going.

And you're very welcome just hope the stuff we share here is useful for new mums
happy.gif

Maxi cosy is also compatible with the Baby Jogger brand of strollers which is our favourite cos its so easy to collapse the stroller. must go and chwckout the youtube videos!
we have the city select model which is a convertible (single to double)

absentmama, baby jogger is currently on our top fav list for stroller..
i took my hubby to see the baby jogger city select after u mention it last time and he's all over it.. so spacious as well.. went to check the price and it's abt 1.5+k for double.. saw an oz online website and after shipping to sg, tink it's only abt 1k... so tempted to get it earlier..

MsE yah it's actually much cheaper to buy overseas, the markup in Sg is crazy. Glad you liked the stroller!
happy.gif

The city mini single stroller is pretty nice too, if not for the price here I'll have gotten it as well to standby.

absentmama: on stroller, thanks for sharing on the baby joggers! i'll check it out maybe when i go US, or when my hubby travels to Europe in May. i heard there's this japanese brand of stroller that's super light-weight and can be operated with one-hand...but i'm not too sure what is the brand..price abt $2K in Singapore.

Car seat -
Agree on the importance of car seat an getting babies used to it from early stage! We've already got one by French make Bebe Confort, an infant one that can be attached to stroller frame.

Steriliser -
Thanks to tip from absentmama. After doing some research I've also decided to get a microwave steam steriliser as I've heard many electric ones tend to break down easily and takes up space.

Shopping -
I've done mostly clothes (too easy, haha) and bought some cloth diapers, toys... Got an Avent manual pump just in case... Bought a 3 in 1 travel system (car seat, bassinet and pushchair)... Got a hand-me-down cot. It's my first baby and I'm sure there's still some things missing so I should have a little note handy!

Back