(2012/02) Feb 2012

Mich - grats! If I had to do it a 3rd time I will still take epi! No regrets! Really too pain without epi! Heh speedy recovery!

Pineapple - was at tmc. Initially was in observation ward den after shifted to labor ward quite fast. old ward. Not renovated. But I guess better than stay in observation ward. Got a ger in the next bed kip crying liao. Stay there I'll b scared. =x how r u liao? Delivered? Hope everything went well! =)

Chewie - waaaa! The price sounds quite not bad leh. If got #3 mite consider there liao. Heh thanks!

Opps - hey dun b discouraged! Bb's just waiting for a gd date! Mebbe bb wan daddy to witness birth so waited abit longer for hfmd to b over? =) jia yous ya!!! We'll b here for u still!

Meiji - waaaa lucky u made the right choice! Grats ya and speedy recovery!

Jinglebell - my #1 used medela and avent bottles during 1st month. She prefer medela though. No confusion but in the end she still chose to latch fully and totally refuse bottles after 3rd month. Tink the taste after milk stored stored in fridge den heated up tastes v diff from when it's fresh from the tap. So she prefer the latter. Jia yous with the supply!

Evon - I did drink water during my #1 confinement cos nose bleed. Though not supposed to but too heaty from all the red date tea and too dehydrated. Felt much better afterwards and tink it helped with my supply. =p

Hi, thanks for the well wishes.

Xia, congrats to u! I m also on the 6th floor n will be discharged later. Agree with u the food not that nice but service wise on 6th floor not bad.
happy.gif

Xia - big congrats to u too!!! Ur #2 share the same birthday as my hubby! He actually wanted our #2 to wait till his birthday but I told him impossible lah. Too overdue liao. Wish u a speedy recovery too!!!

Congrats xia and meiji. I'm a mar mummy now. Sian. Everyone wan me to go for c-sect again, including my sis and hubby. Very angry of them leh. I told my hubby tat shld get him to hav a taste of been cut up then he will know how I feel. He immediately keep his mouth shut and start encouraging me on natural birth.

Xia, big congrats!! If pd saw no jaundice shd be no jaundice. But usually jaundice only surface on 3rd-4th day and peaks around 7-8th day so doc will still check bb again. Hope your bb no jaundice, is quite a nuisance, am still dealing with it!

Mich, I also cut down bm plus been able to sun bb these 2 days. Although different pd have differing views on sun, I find it works. Did for no 1 also. Sun bb under morning and late afternoon sun for 10mins front and back each with bb in diapers only. The skin needs the sun to help break down bilirubin. I think my no 2 looks slightly less yellow after yesterday and this morning sun.

Opps, ya at times I find must remind hub of the pain we go through. I dun think they can fully appreciate wat we go through!!

GG Lee, u r very right. Esp for my hubby. He is the kind where he need to go thru the actual event then he will know. If not he keep thinking everything is so easy.

Hope he can go in wif me for the c-sect (if I really hav to go thru) so tat he knows how I feel. Cos I asked him to peep wat my gynea is doing is he hav a chance. Btw, he not afraid of all this bloody scene. Heop after he peep, he will know wat I hav gone thru.

GG - we only go for morning sun, scared afternoon sun too strong for bb. Praying hard that it will be of normal level soon. Bb dun have so much blood to go thru the pricking mann.

Opps - the first sentence my hubby said to me after I pop was "good job, well done!" can u imagine that???

Mich, initially my CL also dun dare to sun much, everytime 5 min she wan push in. Better still she say no need to strip bb. Then we find jaundice like getting worse. My hub insist must strip bb and we sun 10 min each side. Today I increase to 15 min each side since morning sun not as bad. As fir late afternoon, I will do it after 4pm if there is sun. 5 mins also better than nothing. Cos I really dun wan jaundice to get worse and definitely dun wan end up phototherapy v poor thing one. After sun make sure give milk to hydrate.

Opps, my hub went in for both my c sections. Ya then they know wat we go though. I imagine must be quite scary for them cos they can hear all the actions hahaha! Whereas for us actually not as conscious cos under epi. I recall my hub quite worried when I kept shivering after delivering, kept kissing my cheek asking if I am ok. But wonder how long they will remember the pain we go through..

My hubby was with me during my c sect, n shot the first pic of bb delivered out of my tummy, with my tummy partially exposed somemore. A bit gross but glad to have tis first pix of bb though! Keke...

Thanks xia! These 2 days pumping realized that every session, managed to hit 40ml now... Jia you jia you!!

Rashes n pimples on face

My girl for rashes all over since day 3 for a week. Pd said common for newborns n no need to worry. They indeed gradually resolved themselves after 1 wk plus. for pimples on face, my girl got them too. But sometimes could be milk rash, so take care to clean off any milk stain from bb cheeks n mouth after feeding. Read the book this is due to some hormone thingy too. My girl now day 21 n these slowly going off too. So no worries!

Thanks xia! These 2 days pumping realized that every session, managed to hit 40ml now... Jia you jia you!!

Rashes n pimples on face

My girl got rashes all over her face n body since day 3 for a week. Pd said common for newborns n no need to worry. They indeed gradually resolved themselves after 1 wk plus. for pimples on face, my girl got them too. But sometimes could be milk rash, so take care to clean off any milk stain from bb cheeks n mouth after feeding. Read the book this is due to some hormone thingy too. My girl now day 21 n these slowly going off too. So no worries!

Hi Hazel & Mummies,

Sorry for mia for quite a while. Been more active over at facebook
happy.gif
I've been busy back reading the forum dated 5th Feb till nw. Phew can hardly catch up.

I ve given birth on 4th Feb via elective C-Sect. Thankfully i selected c-sect as bb weighs 3.84kg.

Breastfeeding is so tough!!!
On my 4th day had the prob of engorged breasts. Can feel breast feel very full but just can't express out. Went TMC parentcraft, they help me massage but still got some stubborn blocked ducts. End up visited Madam Rokiah n managed to clear the blocked ducts. Next had to cope with low supply so been supplementing fm at nite. Am now taking domperidome and fenugeek to help build up supply. Supply still not fantastic, sometimes managed to get 70, 100, 130ml (both breasts) not constant.

Its a challenge to pump every 3 hrs especially at nite. Wasn't so hardworking end up feeling a bit feverish, suspected it was mastitis so quickly massage n pump it out. Hopefully it doesn't come bk.

Does ur babies get more cranky at night? Mine was awake yesterday from 11pm to 2 am. Keep wanting to be carried and rocked. Donno is it becoz he feeling uncomfortable as he caught a mild cold, still having blocked nose. I see already so heartpain.

Congratulations to Feb mummies!

I'm a Sept 2011 and reading through your thread brings back memories of my confinement!

I read that many of you are having problems with breastfeeding. Do feel free to contact me. Just to rant or ask for advice, I'll be glad to help!

You can email me at [email protected] or find me on Facebook using this email address.
happy.gif

Jinglebell, tks for sharing. Hope the tiny pimples go away soon.

Happytomato, congrats! Ya bf is hardwork. Must keep pumping every 3 hrs to maintain supply. My bb 2 wks now, my supply dun seem to go up anymore, abt 120ml per pump. My CL say cld b I pump not long enuf. I usually pump 10-15mins each side. CL say her clients normally pump up to an hr total both sides so I think I may not have drained all my milk. Currently am throwing away my ebm as I stop this 2 days hoping bb jaundice goes down. Meanwhile allow myself to take watever herbs these 2 days. Hopefully bb jaundice better.

Mummies who tried fenugreek, is it effective in increasing supply? Any side effects? Can nurse immediately after taking or need to space out like taking Chinese herbs?

Hi Feb Mummies,

Am from Mar EDD, however would like to find out:
1)How much for TMC hospital bill(1 bedded or 2 bedded) for c-sec w epidural, including medisave.
2)Any deposit & how much final amt you all paid? How many day you stay?
3)Heard there's some renovation work, affect wards? or just delivery suites?

Sorry for so many Qs.. Thanks!

Hi tattybaby,
My total bill for single premier 3 nites was about $10k+ including medisave. Actually single premier and single bed difference only $100 per nite so bill won't b big difference.

Deposit $3000. Medisave can claim $3950. I was at 5th floor, no reno going on.

Hi GG Lee,

Thanks for reply. Wah.. Single premier can easily go up to 10k+ with medisave.
If you dont mind sharing, How much u pay in cash on final bill, can use credit card for payment? Thanks!
ya, saw single bedded always FULL HOUSE.

Still contemplating 1 bedded or 2 bedded as tight budget. Any one stay 2 bedded can share bill size?

Thanks GG Lee,

I pump abt 30 mins each time. Ur supply is considered good already for 2 wks bb. My bb is gg to be full month this Sunday n the max i ever hit for both breast combined is 130ml!

My doc perscribes me to take 2 tabs 3 x daily. My supply increase from abt 50ml to 80-130ml. But i m not too sure if tt is becoz of it or pumping more regularly. I eat it like a normal health supplement aft meals. Didn't space it out like chinese herbs/ I don't think i experience much side effects but i think could differ from ppl to ppl.

Here is the link to some side effects:
http://www.buzzle.com/articles/fenugreek-side-effects.html

Why do u have to stop bfeeding due to jaundice? I thought bb need to drink more to flush out the jaundice? Hope ur bb gets well soon
happy.gif

hi mummies,
do anyone know where i can buy fenugreek extract? Seems like this is in liquid form n its btr den capsules.
i read this in mummysg forum. Fenugreek capsules doesnt work much for mi.
Do u noe y we cant drink plain water during confinement? what's e logic behind? my lips hv been cracking.
pls advise
thks

GG lee, my baby also had slight jaundice (13.5) during 6 day check, 10.9 when discharged on day 4 (mine also c sec) and PD never told me to stop BF. In fact need to BF more often, even 2-3 hours. When discharged tt time, asked me to sun baby between 8-9am and 5-6pm for 10 mins each side (front and back) under direct sunlight. After the 1 week check, asked me to sun baby in indirect sunlight from 8-6pm for 5 days. Now my baby don't have the yellow tinge anymore. I don't think got anymore Jaundice.

Please don't throw your BM away! So precious! Freeze it, if you freeze in the separate freezer compartment in the fridge, it can last you 2 months.
happy.gif

By the way, all those moms pumping 100+ per pump every 3 hours, it's very good already! Tt's probably all your baby needs. From day 7 onwards to 6 months baby need an avg of 750ml per day. Some more, some less. If you feed baby 7 times a day, each time around 100ml is enough. All the best!

Orangeroses, tks! Ya I heartpain also, but cos scared the herbs inside will cause jaundice. So din store to keep. Maybe I will start storing tomorrow.

When my gal discharge was 10.4. Then poly review they seem to use different metric, cos doc there tell me is now 190. Then latest visit 150.

mich, xia & meiji, congrats on your NB. =)

GG, i went polyclinic for checkup today. My girl's result is 156. Doc actually refer me to KKH A&E cuz he say for 19 day old bb is actually quite high. But I didnt go in the end. I called up Thomson PD, nurse say actually level is normal. So i guess i will wait until my next schedule check up at Thomson.

Do you bring you bb downstairs to sun or at home?

Also thinking if I should give BM or just give FM. I read from an article that there's an enzyme in the breastmilk that actually prolong bb's jaundice.

Re: Pumping
I usually pump 20-30mins and i will massage almost all the milk from my breast. My girl 19days old, only manage to get 80 - 100ml per pump. Not a lot but at least still can meet my girl's supply for now. Let's all jia you!!!

Evon, not sure about not drinking water. What my massage lady told me is that drinking water will cause water retention. And when we drink fluids, we are supposed to be sitting down, not standing up.

Dear mummies, wanna ask if there is a limit to how much bm we can feed our babies? My 5 wk old girl is starting to drink 100ml per feed. At this rate, I don't know what is the max before she starts weaning at 6 mth.

Evon: you can still drink other fluids to keep you hydrated. Drink red date drink like water. Need fluid especially if you are breastfeeding.

BluCryst, my 19 day old girl is already drinking 90ml since day 5. For my #1, she was drinking about 150ml when she's 6 months. I dun think we shld limit the amount of BM to give bb's and also each bb's intake is different, so cant really compare. I just give what my girl needs.

Evon, u can get it fr drugstore. I try it and hv a few spare bottle. Interested can let me know but it's ex. One small bottle last a week. But taste wise, not so nice. Whether effective or not no comments.

I finish 2weeks supply of domperidone, milk fr 80ml drop to 50ml!!! Even though still on fenugreek but milk still drop. Any one experienced stop domperidome milk supply drops?

http://www.drugstore.com:80/herb-pharm-fenugreek/qxp284368?catid=62341&fromsrch=Funegreek

serene - I think you need to wean off of domperidone, don't just stop suddenly for fear of drop in milk supply. decrease 1 tablet every 3-5 days.

Khim, looks like our bbs both on the high side. Today I sun her 15 mins front and back each. I do it at home as my living room the sun can shine in. But my CL did tell me she can also bring bb down to sun. Late afternoon rain so din manage to sun. Today I only latch her once shortly, din give any ebm. Ya I stop bm cos I read about the bm enzyme thing plus a doc implied dat herbs and ginger also makes it worse. But I also worry supply will be affected. Hope sat review will b good. I probably will start storing ebm from sat.

Khim, I hope won't have to go phototherapy. If touch wood need to go, wld rather go tmc or gleneagles. Have v bad impression with kkh somehow. Their A&E a lot are locums, all like to give textbook answers. If need 2nd opinion I would want to go to a pd that I trust.

GG, sigh! yah lor. think #2 is like #1, gng to have jaundice for at least 2 months. i also sun my girl at home. Afternoon, I dun sun as I scare my girl will catch a chill if sun downstairs.

I also hope my girl wun be hospitalise. I also dun like to send my girls to KKH from the reviews I've gotten from my frens. Will definitely prefer TMC more. I will wait till my appt with my PD next week, see if the jaundice level decrease.

Do watch out if your bb has fever with jaundice. Could be something more serious...

serene,
try applying more nipple cream. I apply before and after pump and it really helps.

Tattyhug, the cash payment will be the difference of total bill and max claim limit from medisave. yes can use credit card.

Khim, now I leave bb in living room even when not sunning as it has more natural light so is still better. She seems to look a bit better after 2 days of sun, hope next few days sunny and bright.

Evon, Selling at cost, $18 (us$9.35 @1.4plus $5 overseas shipping). Local postage excluded. It's a small glass bottle. Otherwise we can meet up for coffee to chat and pass to u. I complete my confinement already.

Evon, selling at cost $18 ( us$9.35 @1.4 +5 overseas shipping) exclude local postage. Is a small glass bottle. Or Let me know if u free to meet up for coffee getting bored. I complete my confinement.

Bee mummy , huh I finish per the prescription don hv anymore. Don know supply will built up again or not.

By the way, after taking it I do see increase now stop the supply like goes back to the initial stage. Is this normal?

Need some advise, should I see LC don know breast sore or nipplecsore. Feel the whole breast like inflammation, v painful when touch and the nipple painful the whole day.

Thanks for all the well wishes. Have discharged today abt 12pm. But bb had to stay behind for phototherapy. =(. Jaundice leve too high(23). bb placed in nicu for 4 way therapy. Currently on drip. Hope she gets well soon. Saw her just now. Skin v dry and cracked with scratches on her body cos not wearing mittens and clothes. See already so heart pain. Any mummies got experience and noe wat lvl does jaundice have to b b4 bb can b discharged to monitor at home? Have been hand expressing colostrum/BM and bringing to hospital. V pathetic quantity. Haiiz.

Back