(2002) Any 2002 babies?

The on sponge methods of solving can be confusing for some kids like my dd whose foundation isn't strong enough
sad.gif
I bought Book 4 last year. Won't be buying anymore
happy.gif

Otherwise, it is a good book for challenging questions and advance practices. Last I heard, one of the top schools is using the book for their P5 kids and my friend's dd was so de-moralized as she struggles to comprehend n follow.

Yes, I agree with Aly..my #1 has weak spatial skills and so it is quite challenging to teach her using on sponge method.

Results for math out.
Son didn't do well.
Paper wasn't difficult.
He said only one question he didn't know how to do, but he lost more than ten marks over computation error.

fz,
I think our kids are still getting to psle maths format. My dd told me they need to complete 2 maths papers within a short time. Some students either cannot finish the papers or forget to shade the OAS. She completed her papers but no time to check, so has a lot of computation/ transfer errors too.

Any gd 1 to 1 tution teacher who come to our place or agency to introduce at town area? My boy test paper drop alot though he has went to those classroom type of tution centre.. Feeling stress seeing english almost fail at 56 plus only..;( thk u all

fz,
Your boy's class has high maths standard. Mean of 86 is quite high. My gal also scored 70...she lost 14 marks due to carelessness....think we need to train up their speed at home so that they will have time to go through the paper again before handing up.

Hi mummies

Has anyone purchased exam papers (printed hardcopies) from those stalls vendors? Will solution be provided? Are the workings /steps illustrated in the solutions?

MD,
did you manage to compare against class mean score? that will show roughly how tough the paper is.
my boy all results dropped, but only Math dropped below class mean score with drop more than ten marks. The other 3 is about 6 points above.

we are quite pleased with his CL performance, where he managed to nail the dialogue section and front section. He is currently having CL 1-to-1 tuition and group tuition once a week each. we are considering dropping the group tuition by end of the year (if he manages to maintain his performance) and sign up for Science group tuition instead to hone his answering skills as his answers for 2 marks questions can be up to 6lines. His CA science result was 94, class mean between 88-92 (I guess as the Science teacher said the class mean is VERY high; last year SA2 class mean i think is about 90ish). Not sure if it is wise to drop 1 CL in favour of Science....but not sure if it is wise to focus so much (ie 2 tuition for 1 subject) on CL as it is only 1 out of 4 subjects.

FZ,
The class average for most subjects are around 70. I'm waiting for the school average to be published in their website. She's in the 2nd best class so actually should compare to her peers i.e. the first 2 class to gauge how well she did. But on a whole, the standard is definitely getting higher.

I dont see any 90ish in my girl's CA. Math still ok as though 85 still above average in school. no CA for science so cannot gauge if she is coping. Chinese and HMT I almost heart stopped , just passed but her tutor says paper is difficult and class chinese teacher says she is actually not too bad. English also dipped but she is still top few in class.

I am stopping mind stretcher Writer toolbox just because she does not want to be the only girl in class and other timing is not good. Anyone staying near clementi, need recommendation for creative writing class.

Started off my gal with English home tuition..and I was surprised to hear the tutor commenting that her English is good, above average. She said maybe I have been bench marking against her school standard and there is why I have high expectation, compared to her other students, my gal's English is quite strong. I showed her the compo and compre she did in School as well as the Mindstretcher's worksheets. She commented that the standard are high. In Mindstretcher she is a borderliner and I do admit that the class size is hugh (almost 15) and my gal is starting to feel stressful doing their worksheets.
Errr...so shd I continue let her take one to one or stick to group tuition in Mindstretcher?

bebe75,
actually, both group and one-to-one has its merits. that is why my boy has both for his CL! burn a hole in my pocket. but whenever i contemplate to drop the group one, the 1-to-1 tutor's schedule gets busy (she is a school teacher) or the 1-to-1 weekday tuition schedule clashed with son's adhoc school activities (tutor's availability for makeup lessons also largely dependent on her school commitment too), so he will missed that session for that week, hence we rely on the group (weekend class) to ensure he gets his weekly practice.

but my boy's chinese group size is only 8 students...half your girl's Mindstretcher class. a smaller group will be more effective.

FZ,
What tuition does your boy has? They are so busy it is a nightmare to even arrange their schedule. I have grp tuition for English and Chinese for both kids. For science/maths, they have private tutor.

MD,
my boy has 2 CL, 1 EL and 1 Math.
1 CL and EL is group.
1 CL and Math is private tutor.
takes up Tuesdays (he no need to stay back unless adhoc programme like CIP), Saturdays early morning and early afternoon and Sundays early morning. contemplating to drop 1 CL for Science for next year for the last leg of the race. husband asked me if it would be wise to drop 1 CL.really have to see his SA results then. if not, will consider drop younger son's Math for 1 year for older son to do Science. Currently, he writes 4 sentences answer for 1 mark questions and 6 sentences for 2 mark questions! he does get his marks, but it eats into his checking time and i worry he may not complete on time. his sch science teacher clarified that they need all the points to be present and that my boy needs to sharpen his answering techniques.

MD - yes, my gal has to stay back on 3 days per week, and so she is left with 2 days free - and I had to use those days for tuition. Sometimes if they have events or activities, I have to reschedule the classes and it is not easy, and my gal hates make up classes, as she will get uncomfortable with different groups of students and teacher. That is why die die I have to take the weekend classes for mindstretcher, but their weekend class size is always big.
Currently I am adopting the wait and see approach - depending on SA1 results. I have heard of bad tales of pte tutors pulling out at the last minutes esp before the Big exams - that is why I only look for full time tutor, and hope that they are good and can stay all the way till PSLE. On the other hand, I scare to let go of the tuition center slot, the bishan branch is very popular and it is not easy to get weekend slots. If the tutor is not committed and not good, I still have another life buoy to standby..

Her home tutor said I am too overly concerned and that PSLE is not that terrifying..eerrrr...I dunno leh..I just feel that my gal is borderline case, and I think she can do better with close coaching and teaching. The last thing I want to do is to shortchange her..

After the 2 hr English tuition (3-5pm) at home, my gal said she felt tired and needed to nap...hiaz..this is another concern - she concentrates better in the morning.

And with another kids attending sch and tuition, if I change #1 timetable, I may hv to adjust #2 schedules accordingly...as much as I can, I try not to touch on #2 schedules (which is also quite packed) ..and also to reserve some family time to R&R..really time is not enough..

fz, double tuition on CL?

bebe, double tuition very tiring but I can understand the dilemma in giving popular timeslot

My kids having group tuition for 3 subjects. I find that there's already max. No time slot for 4.

dd1 told me recently one of her tuition classmate has 5 tuition in a day on Sat

Yawn,
One to one mainly covers compre and compo. No time to cover paper two components. He goes to group for paper two.

fz, oh i see. yeah, CL is quite intensive. My dd's tuition covers all components but she always last to finish compo in class, over run as long as an hour. teacher let her continue writing in class

bebe, initially I signed up for weekend class back to back classes last year for dd2 but I realised teacher is horrible. Only distribute worksheets. Waste money! They change to another teacher (heard various parents complained) so I gave another chance but this new teacher explained too slowly and cannot control class size so end up many worksheets not done during class & become homework instead (which means not learning effectively during tuition hours & expect parents to teach?)
After encountering two lousy teachers, I gave up on popular timeslot. I suspect it's dumping ground for not so good teachers at popular timing since parents will sign up anyway.
Although inconvient to go twice and on different days, I've no choice but to switch dd2 to other unpopular slots, teachers are at least explaining, perhaps more manageable due to slightly smaller group compared to weekends. If still doesn't work out, I'm withdrawing. Sian, so hard to find good group tuition

my kids attending tuition at different location different days. So you can imagine I rushing in & out sending/fetching multiple times. No choice leh, cannot find a timeslot that fit both. And I have switching dd2 classes due to bad teachers. Fortunately dd1 prefers her old tuition center because same teacher as last year. She is okay with big class size so I let her be. But the class size is really huge!

Yawn,
Both my kids also go to different classes on different days, different centres. Weekends, me and husband split, he takes older boy,I am better at controlling the younger one. On days when husband need to do his own stuff, older one will take public transport or walk home, so location is very important to us. It also helps that at least one CL and math is home 1 to 1, no need to travel. It is the make up class arrangement for group tuition that is headache. My boy going to miss two lessons due to school commitment. Out of goodwill, the centre allowed us to make up but only other class available is weekdays after his HCL class. Ok for us, but then last minute we were informed to attend a briefing for school immersion trip and their oral exam shifted to afternoon on the two days we arranged for make up. That is half month fee wasted!

fz
where is your ds going for immersion trip? I didn't let my dd go. Cost $1.7K so expensive! But guess what? she is the only person who didn't go, the entire class is going! I feel so bad for her. But we're single income, have to be careful with money. Plus so many days she will missed all her tuition, waste even more money.

Yawn,
My boy is going beijing for a week. Around $700 cash,$300 edusave. He will miss one english class. One to one tuition can reschedule.his chinese cl group tuition happen to close for holiday break. They had to attend a group interview for selection.your girl school all her class mates going?

fz

Yes, ALL her classmates going. No need selection interview, as long pay can go. I'm surprised, thought with that price tag maybe only half the class will go, didn't expect everyone to be going. I guess her classmates are quite well off, heard most live in landed properties.

My dd is naturally disappointed but she understands my perspective & thus she didn't kick up a fuss, just that I feel a little sorry to deprive her (of a shared experience with her classmates) although I don't think she will miss out a lot in the academic aspect by not going (since it's more like a sight seeing trip to me)

My dd is also going china in Jun holiday. It's her 2nd time. Last year was 1 week. This June holiday, she's going for 3 weeks. The school selects around 30 kids from whole level based on Chinese results. Cost was not an issue as it was very heavily subsidised under the SAP programme. 3 weeks for $600+. She seems happy to be away for 3 weeks! I hope I won't cry when I send her off in the airport.

Group vs private tuition
I realize cannot all 4 subjects go for group tuition cos if miss lessons for that week (if sick or for other reasons), then will need to keep doing make-up or else waste $. My dd goes for Chinese and English group tuition only. Her Chinese is 3 hr but always drag until 3.5 hr cos she is so slow need to stay back in class to finish her compo. Whole sunday burnt on Chinese enrichment. I let her go for pte tuition for science/maths cos her technical concept not very strong so need to have 1-to-1 explanation. I've tried group science tuition and she say she doesn't understand and/or cannot catch up. There is pros and cons to group and pte tuition. Usually tuition centres have the materials. But Pte tutor has more flexibility.

maisy, you 放心 to let your dd go for 3 weeks? 3 weeks is really long.

I would have said no if so long. Haiz, too expensive I said no, too long I also said no. Told dd I need to see her everyday otherwise I will get separation anxiety. She is so touched by my love declaration, ROFL

By the way, I prefer group tuition because of the materials.

Yawn,
My gal already declared to her friends that she's going. She is the outgoing type. Every trip she also want to go. Let her be independent and see the world. At home, she gets pampered too much by us ; )

Hi mummies, can help solve this sum:

Fred had some boxes, he gave away 35 boxes on Monday and 1/5 of the remainder boxes on Tuesday. In the end he is left with 1/3 of the total no. of boxes. How many boxes does he have in the beginning?

Thanks.

Below is how I do the calculation:

Since 1/5 of the remainder is given away, therefore
4/5 left which is also 1/3 of the total no. Of boxes.

1/3----> 4/5
3/3----> 12/5
Therefore
36 boxes ----> 7/5
1/5 ---> 5 boxes

Total = 12 units x 5 =60 boxes

Thanks Yen Ling, you are good. My husband used equation to solve but I wanted to teach my girl the simpler form. And I had brain freeze.

You have been a great help.
kao_kiss.gif

Hi Valeria,
Actually I learnt all this from my son and assessment books.
So maybe you can also try to look at different books to solve the problems.

Hi Mummies,

I have been so busy with work and home since my hubby is away on biz trip every week.

Like MD's gal sch, my son's school also selects the students based on Chinese results. My son was happy he was not selected cos he fared average. According to the teacher, it is an exchange program thus those selected need to host the chinese student in their house a few days when they come and vice versa.

Bebe75: I can understand your fear cos our child is not competing with only her school mates but the nationwide. Thus we hope they can do well in order to have more choices in sch selection.

MD - So far my son has been attending group tuition for English, Chinese and Science. I prefer group as they are more school based compared to private. Private really depends on the teacher.

My gf is using a private tutor from an agency for her gal cos the gal quite choosy. So far she said the tutor not bad and her gal results improved. if you wanna try, i will get the contact for u. The tutor is a undergraduate with local uni.

Mummies,

I am supposed to go China in May but given the avian flu situation over there, I am in a dilemma whether I should cancel my biz trip. Mummies with kids going to China during the june holidays, any updates or change in plans from the schools?

cookiepie,
I was told by the teacher they are monitoring the situation. I have the impression that they may cancel it unless it is undercontrol within the next few weeks. I will let the school decides.

cookiepie,
my boy going beijing. no news of cancellation yet.
we still have to go ahead with the flu jab just in case they need to travel. sch advise us to get jab at least 1 month before travel to be effective.

meanwhile, boy's tutor's sch postponed their china trip to yunnun until further notice under MOE direction

fighting !!! Ganbatte!!!

Mine already finished paper 1 and oral this week. Next monday one more HCL paper 1.

Real battle starts 13 - 17 May

Anyone with math tutor?
Want to ask what your math tutor typically cover in a session.
Is it structured or mainly gotthrough the questions that your kid stumble and can't do.

the start of SA1...ytdy was listening compre, next Monday Oral n compo and then the REAL nightmare will start...I can;t believe I am so stressed up with SA1 this round..been losing my hair..

FZ - I think u are referring to home tutor right? Currently hubby is the maths tutor..he will look at her worksheet and see if her understanding/concept is there or not...will pick up a few questions to gauge her...and slowly worked towards the more complex one. Now, he more or less knows my gal's pattern and knows which area to target (Problem sum, carelessness etc)

fz,

My gal's maths tutor will let her do the assessements/papers for a specific topic & then explain those questions that she doesn't know how to do.

Back