(2002) Any 2002 babies?

official sleeptime is 9pm..but I have been liberal and letting her sleep at 10pm for the past 2 weeks. I did not tell her explicitly in case she thinks she has more time to dilly dally. between 9pm - 10pm, I spent time going revising with her, guiding her on her homework, or she learnt her tingxie/spelling.

TV time has been shortened to an hour a day (used to be 1.5 hr) except Friday evening...actually I meant to let her go swimming weekly on Monday afternoon (her only free day without tuition and extra lessons in school) - but I think her homework load is increasing...very hard to squeeze extra time for R&R..

I can't ask her to nap..as it is very hard to wake her up from sleep..trying to train her to power nap..but not successful..ended up I spent more time and energy trying to get her up..I let her eat snacks, do her work at balcony, bay window...wherever she feels fresher...

She also another slow motion...yesterday she spent 2 hours bathing, ate lunch..until I have to blow my top..why can;t she be independent???

Bebe,
Yes, the 'sloooow motion' in bathing, eating, plus doing non-essential stuff really drives me up the wall. I can totally relate to that!!

I have been nagging her to finish her lunch within 30 min, shower within 20 min...but still...sigh..if I did not call for her outside the bathroom..she can spend hours inside..dunno what she is doing inside..even after coming out from the bathroom, she can spend another half an hour drying her hair..*faint*

Aly_nat & bebe75, I can totally relate to you cos my son also takes his own sweet time. The only time he doesnt is play.

Mine slept at 11+pm and work up at about 6.30/6.45am.

He has 2 enrichment classes on weekday (mon and fri)

My son needs to stay back in school everyday. Monday till 3:30 - enrichment class, tues till 5:30 - enrichment with cca , Wednesday till 2:30 - extra class, Thursday till 5:30 - enrichment and mathematics Olympiad training class Friday till 1, but goes back to school at 3:30 for Chinese creative writing class till 5:30

Mathematics question

Stephanie has 24 more sweets than Jolene. Stephanie gave half of her sweets to Jolene. After that, Jolene gave half of her sweets to Stephanie. In the end, Stephanie has 40 more sweets than Jolene. How many sweets does Stephanie had in the end?

aly_nat,
my ds' home tuition on weekday. his other tuition at the centres are at weekends. very difficult are to arrange for weekdays as sometimes he has a lot of homework to be submitted the next day. he wakes up at 5.40am every day as the bus leaves at 6.08am.

Sounds like most of your dd/ds r keeping longer hours and having more commitments than my dd. I really ought not to complain.

So I can only conclude that my dd needs to work on her time management, n work. harder at improving her grades.

Fz,
Your ds is picked up by the bus real early. My dd would hv been in the same situation if she takes the school bus. I let her take public transport since P5.

aly nat

my dd also like that, slow motion. Cannot change leh, I've been trying to convert her since she was 3 years old with nil success to date. Bedtime is 9pm. If she couldn't finish homework by then, just too bad lor, cannot extend. So she knows that's the consequence for taking her own sweet time.

I dropped her music already, only left theory class till end of this month and no more classes. Really no time lah, unless she can improve her speed

She doesn't take nap. No TV time.

Yawn,
That's a great idea! My dd scared of her teachers, so if I don't allow her to continue working but hv to get to bed by 9, she might just speed up (hopefully)! Worth a try!!

Your dd drop music? She was doing well, isn't it? So sayang. I promise my dd that we will go slow with her piano after this Mar exam. Although not gifted musically, she is keen to continue learning piano. Her affiliated sec school has a rather comprehensive music program. She hopes to take up harp, if there is a chance to get into the program. We agree that there will be no more graded exams for her until after PSLE.

Hi-5! My dd also no TV (nor computer games) time.

aly nat

she passed grade 3 with merit last March. Indeed wasted. But I suppose she can always pick up again when she learn how to better manage her time. And realistically really not much time for practice with such heavy schedule, staying back in school so often. Nowadays hardly had time to read. She more busy than me, I 'eng eng' compared to her ROFL

Happy CNY to all.
Been a peaceful CNY for us..thanks to the rainy seasons and my #3 was down with flu..so we have "legitimate" reason to stay at home except for the first day of CNY..

This morning I told my hubby to revise maths with #1 as I was busy taking care of my #3..and after half an hour, I could hear him scolding her "How can you not know this?" "You muz be kidding??" "Are you sure?" "Hey, this is..not something new, how come you dunno"..blah blah blah...

Then hubby came and asked me why I did not go through those weak areas with her earlier..I told him I hardly had time..and she won;t revise unless I nag (provided if I have the time to nag)..

He spent one whole day going through the assessment with her..and he concluded that she is likely to flung her PSLE if she continues to perform like this..he decided to take away ipad, set password..no more TV..20 min shower time..30 min meal time..and she has to complete his assigned revision paper on daily basis..we are going to stop her music lesson after this term..

In a way, I am glad that now he sees why I am so panicky and anxious over #1...not that I kiasu or kiasee..but #1 is slow and has no sense of urgency, and I myself has limitation teaching her.. She is already weak in Maths, English and Science and now she is starting to struggle with Chinese..I am really at the end of my wits teaching her...even sending her to tuition is not effective as before as she can't do revision herself unless I sat besides her...and also if she has the time to sit down with me..I myself also cannot take the stress..now he can understand how frustrated I am..having to go through the concepts again and again..drill again and again..and she still does not get it..and worse sometimes she could not be bothered..give me attitude face..hiaz...

bebe75,

Your hubby's scoldings sounded familiar to me....I have been saying the same things to my gal. My hubby also bar her from ipad but now she turns to ifone....

Her ca1 starts end feb, so I am waiting to see how she "performs" to decide the next course of action...she is already having tuition for all 4 subjects!

Hi Bebe
My gal is also very slow motion. She will take her own sweet time to do anything. As CA is edging close, I feel more kan chiong than her. Weekends, I'm like a mad woman shouting at her to do her homework. Sigh...

bebe75: My son is not better either. He has been losing focus and I have been getting teachers'call on his late work submission or never submit homework. Everytime I asked, he would say he has finished. Play and reading his story books seem to be his mind than studies. Told my hubby I wanna give up cos he cant expect me to do everything when I am also working lor.

last night, hubby wanted to go through maths worksheet (own assessment) with my gal..she argued that she had to finish her homework first, but hubby said he had to fly early next morning and will not be back till end of the week..so die die muz go through the assessment before he flew. My gal was so panicky and said she will not be able to finish her homework..we said serve her right, she came back from school since 5pm..dilly dally and only wanted to start doing homework after dinner..from 6pm to 7pm before I serve dinner, I dunno what she was doing..$#%^#$#$%

sigh, my girl too is too tied up with activities. 2 days stay back with ccas. Yday she had cca, followed by chinese tuition. She too dilly dally take her supper and then started her remaining mock test paper sums which all did not finish in class. As I have very much hands off since last year, haha I am now not so familiar with the methods used for the math sums. Took me a while to think and come up with a solution that school is teaching.

Avrilf
My girl too is under radar for late submission even though she has done it on the very day. She has lost interest in the subject , Math as I think this is the only subject with tons of hw daily.

I am also pulling my hair on how to tackle this issue. This morning I was just thinking about it. Instead of looking at her bad attitude, we have to put ourselves in their shoes too. Big jump from P4 to P5 with longer papers. They too are stressed too.

Must think of a motivational way to get her to like the subject and not treat it like a chore. I will be reviewing her worksheets and papers , understand where she is weak in and will just pick a few questions from the assessment book to get her to understand the concept and apply instead of endless drilling of sums.

Wish me luck.

CL,
The daily Maths hw or topical revision is quite tough and takes some time to solve. Yesterday dd has CCA till 4plus. tuition at 7.30-9pm. When she reach home, still have to complete school homework - a chinese compo and some maths topical worksheet. In the end slept at 10 plus. If this happen too often, she will not get enough sleep.

Anyone has been referred to HPB? The school refers dd to HPB to check on her spine. It was a waste of time. It was in the card that only if the curvature is 6 deg or more, they need to see the doc. But when we were there, the doc said her curve was only 3 deg. But because she was already referred, she has to keep going back every 6 months for the next 4-5 years until she stops growing. I am wondering if I should try to drag the duration i.e. go every year instead of 6 months.

MD,
Maybe you should monitor her condition. Goes back in Sept holidays for the review and see if it curves more.

My son now has to stay back on every tuesday for english remedial in school. Thus the only day he comes back after 1.30pm will be Monday.

Lucky this year's tuition classes are from fri - mon.

CL,
Tried to have a heart to heart talk with my son last nite. He seemed guilty. Hopefully he will improve. One of his bad habits is not writing down what homework he has in the notebook. Get him to promise to write them down so that he can refer to and make sure everything is done.

Hi mummies,

Glad to know that I am not alone with my dd dilly dally to do all her things. Be it homework or eating. She also lost forcus easily nowadays and start to forget how to do those sums which pri 4 had done before. Faintz....

She will curse and swear when she is doing Maths. Every day tons of homework to be clear and also started to do aft her dinner.

Every day got to worry whether she had finished her work and not enough sleep.

Can I ask if you prepare your kids for the CA? Mine is starting next week but I haven't given her a single CA papers to do. Simply no time.

Yesterday was her only "free" day to be home at 1.30pm. But the school gave her 3 past year CA papers to do (science, chinese and English) so in the end the whole day burn doing CA papers.

MD
I think if the school give mock paper, just as good.
I let my boy do a few math ones, the standard is so difficult as his school has not done certain problem solving technique.
I let him do only mcq for english. No time to do compre and school just gave one mock paper this week.
Chinese, he also supposed to do mcq only, no time for compre. No mock paper from school.
Science worse, no mock paper from school too. School have not teach answer technique for section b for this year topic. We only did mcq and now doing revision for lower block.
Higher mother tongue, not preparing him as he has done regular assessment books. Just got back his mock paper, 32/60highest in class is 40/60.

I find that there's absolutely no time to give any outside school work like assessment books. In fact, completing homework in time is already a blessing. Aiyo, kids are so busy!

yawn yawn: I totally agree with you. There seems to be insufficient time for them to do extra assessment. Being able to complete their homework on time for submission is a blessing.

Think I will let him do some exercises during school holidays if not the books will be wasted again
sad.gif

Hi, i bought 1 book per subject for assessment books this year and yet have no time to do it regularly. I wonder what will happen next year... should we buy any assessment books at all?

Not only she has no time to do, i have no time to mark also due to my P1 dd. For her CA from 4 March to 7 March... really not doing anything much to help also.

Sigh...really not easy being a student nowadays...

MD - get your gal to go swimming..supposedly to be good for spine

Seems like all P5 boys and girls are struggling with time management. I can't stress my gal as she will perform badly under stress..but if I do not stress her..she will take her own sweet time..tough to balance. She does not have CA1..only topical review tests. I prefer CA1..at least prep her to manage her time during exam. Her tuition center gave her CA1 mock paper, and she told me she could nto finish..I look at the paper and I see her spending so much time in MCQ. Kept telling her, to scribble working in MCQ - dun need correction tape or rulers..she refuses to heed..

March holiday confirm no time.
This June holiday, I hope my dd can finish up that one & only Maths assessment she started doing last Dec holiday. No time to touch it once school term begins this year

My boy math assessment also untouched.
I bought thinking that he could use for topical test revision like last year. But this year, they scrap topical tests.
Need to see his ca results to see which area to focus on this march holidays. Hope don't get heart attack.
Coming monday higher mother tongue test.

Valerie,
Next year I will still buy chinese assessment as we have a tutor to go through his doubts. For english math and science, I will probably get exam papers because I already bought synthesis psle this year. Will leave compre for tuition centre. Science also comes in upper block,so no need to buy. For math, school will purchase onsponge, so I think exam papers more than enough.

Avrilf
So far-I am quite happy with the school homework allocation.
The teachers really give and take wrt homework submission.
They will write down homework submissiondates on the white board so all other subject teachers know what is due the next day and will decide whether they can give an extra day.
My boy said his form cum math teacher is easy going. She close an eye to students doing homework in class so long they can catch up with what is taught in class. Even if students need to go toilet in the middle of class work, they are free to do so, just need to write their name and where they going on the whiteboard , no need to ask permission.
My boy likes this style. She is the math hod. She is quite motherly figure.

Hi all, help please.

Please help to solve this sum:

A pail weighed 386g when it was 2/5 filled with water and 761g when it was 9/10 filled. What was the weigh of the empty pail?

Thanks.

My dd is having CA next week and i just realised the fraction problem sums are a killer as i am clueless on how to solve it...

Very worried now, gave her a test paper on fraction and she failed it.. Does having a private tutor help, i wonder, should i get one?

Valerie,

Convert 2/5 to 4/10

Fraction Difference between two pails of water excluding pail ->9/10-4/10 = 5/10

Wt difference between two pails of water excluding pail -> 5/10 equivalent to
->761-386 = 375g

5/10 (excluding pail) -> 375
1/10 -> 375/5 = 75
9/10 -> 75x9=675 (excluding pail)

Pail-> 761-675= 86g

check:
4/10 -> 75x4=300
Pail -> 386-300=86g

86g.

Valerie,
please check if my working is correct.
my boy did it and i am trying to intepret his working based on what he explained to me.

my boy also having exams next week.
private tutor certainly helped as they can personalised and zoom in into the weak areas. currently my husband coaches my son. he can feel the stress too as he needs time to digest before teaching son based on worked examples as he tend to use algebra.

Valerie - you are not the only. My gal flunked badly for her mock CA paper given by the tuition center. Showed to DH and he decided to drill her himself..but can only do so on weekend and he realised that she has weak concept and short attention span.
Really draining to teach today and tomorrow she forget. I am thinking of engaging private tutor..but hor, not easy to get good one and timing also not easy to fit..

bebe75, totally agreed with you...mine is teach now forget the next moment...

AT least your hubby is willing to help, can relieve some stress from you.

fz, your boy is good leh, can do the pail problem sum. I dun even know where to start, heehee....age must be catching up with me.

My dd is having her last ca paper, science today. I am totally hands-off this time round coz I want to see how badly she will fare....

Cookie pie
I don't know how to do that problem or any of his problem sums.that is also the reason why I can't trackIhis weaknesses for math as I don't know how to categorized the types of sums. I don't know what he knows and what he doesn't as he usually ask his dad or check model answers and said he understands or not.
I am out of touch.

Hubby only stepped in to coach her maths last month. I was at my wit's end as I do not know how to explain those solution to her to make her understand. He looked at her worksheet and her workings - and from there he selectively picked up questions and asked her to do. When she paused or did the wrong steps, he will correct her on the spot, from there he knew where is her weakness. Then he will select similar questions (from other assessment books) and test her again..Very tedious and slow progressing cos have to work through questions with her by her side. I do not have the time as my toddler son will pester me, and also I am very impatient compared to my hubby.

Sometimes hubby will ask me if this or that is within sch syllabus, I will advise him..few weeks ago, I accompanied him to Popular to get assessment books as hubby had no ideas which are the better one..I showed him those recommended ones from kiasu forum and he reviewed and made his selections from there. Just spent close to $100 on maths assessment last month!!

For this term, we decide to give maths priority. Hopefully she can pass her SA1 at band2. Hubby said a motivated student is half the battle won..so we hope that will instill her with more confidence and she will inspire to work hard for other subjects.

can see slight improvement since hubby stepped in, she idles and dreams less..probably cos she knows she has a lot of assessment to do...and now she also tries to finish her lunch and shower within an hour..

We are using onsponge for second year. At least bought for p5 but not done yet at home but school got use a bit. We use it last year. This year we only have time for exam papers. I don't know how to categorized his weakness so don't know which type of problem sums to focus on, just try whole paper. My assessment book is good as new.

I use onsponge selectively especially near exam. I will pick up selective problem sums and ask my dd to do so that she is ready for different methods of solving problem sums. I prefer to use that as an "enrichment" assessment than relying fully on Onsponge. Because Onsponge is focus on problem sums but to reinforce the foundation and understanding of the specific topic, should still start off with topical assessments.

I bought onsponge for my gal since p3. Agreed with MD that it is meant more for advanced training.

My gal has gotten back her ca1 results. No major surprises except for English..dipped to 70s..got to see the actual papers to know where's her weakness.

Avrilf,
The workshop is so expensive! I am not willing to part with that money yet as I'm not convinced if it is really effective for a few days workshop. I think if dd does not understand, she will still come to me. So maybe I should be the one attending the workshop instead. LOL...

It seems that some parents use on sponge as a supplementary book. For my son, he really likes it a lot and has been trying to learn from the book for other methods of solving questions.

Back