(2002) Any 2002 babies?

Fierce teacher:

My son seemed to be very terrifed of his Chinese teacher - terrifed to the extent that he said his heart beats very fast and keep on saying very scared. I asked him what he scared of? He said he scared he forgets to bring things - teacher will scold. I told him in this case, remember to pen down stuff you need to bring and you will not kena punish... but he still feel scare... it is been like that for almost 2 weeks...

Any advise?

Thanks

bebe
Your dd's workload does sound heavy. Mine has English enrichment once a week and Chinese creative writing at nearby CC once a week. I'm suppose to cover the rest of the subjects including Chinese since CC classes only touch on creative writing.
But afternoon seems to pass very quickly hor. Not easy to ask her to keep to my timetable. I plan to monitor her progress before deciding whether need to add Maths or Science enrichments. Her weekdays still quite idle and she's free whole day on Sat

mommies
I've been hunting high & low for a cello teacher. Her current teacher's timing not suitable for us. Any recommendations?

oh..sounds like he is nervous in the presence of that teacher...maybe advise him to take a deep deep breath everytime he sees the teacher...so that calms his nerves and then assure him that teacher is reasonable and wont scold if he behaves and does the right things...also, if i were u, i might also communicate his fears to this teacher and let him know that the kid's fear..so that he is aware of this condition your child has and might take things easier with ur child..

hope that helps

HI yawn, you may want to check out Edvox Music School. My gal attends piano there...the teachers there are quite gd but pretty pricey tho'.

juz me

your boy still at that same enrichment center in Tampines?

I don't have any good advice regarding fierce teacher. My dd2 encountered one. Her ex-nafa teacher. Almost killed her interest in music. Imagine she's so fearful that her fingers shivered during lesson. We dropped that teacher after 1 semester. So I understand your boy's stress but can't drop school teacher in this case. Perhaps you can speak to that teacher tactfully?

Mom

Thanks! Any idea which cello teacher is good?

Your dd is at which piano grade? $130 for 30 mins seems very expensive

Hi yawn,
yes, depending on which teacher you are with...the senior piano ones are $130 for 30 mins...that's y i am contemplating changing the school....hopefully can get someone gd with suitable timing as well...

you can call them and enquire abt the teachers...tel: 610003380

Yawn/Mom: Thanks. I have spoken to his teacher about him. He said he will "comfort" him tomorrow... Well... I hope my son will get over this "stress"... It is very unhealthy if it continues like that.....
sad.gif

Enrichment centre - Yes - English and Chinese. But may need to drop English as his pri school has supplementary classes after school hours. I figure out he will be dead tired when he comes home. And to go for English class in the evening - next morning, I am afraid he will be feeling sleepy in class....

However, his English is pretty weak.... Haiz....

Your daughter - any English enrichment/tuition?

bebe75,
my boy's dismissal at 1.30pm and by the time he reached home, had lunch and bathe, already 3.30pm. Dilly dally, start at 4pm, and he always complain to me no time to rest. how to rest when he wasted his time dilly dallying?

Juz me,
I give my boys the frozen prata for lunch. heehee. i usually add a pc of cheese and a sausage and roll it up.
happy.gif
and also a cup of fruits because no veg. my elder son takes light lunch because his appetite is small. Today took weight and height and he weighs only 21kg....-__-"

RE Fierce Teacher,
Juz me,
my boy is also afraid of his form teacher this year. his form teacher last year (which i believe is Ling's dd's form teacher this year) is a soft spoken lady. This year's FT is strict. When i asked about her this morning, my boy's eyes went red. he described it as 'i feel like an ant and she like a T-rex'! lolz. he needs getting used to. One thing i see improvement is his handwriting! haha...he said teacher will scold and then he now writes neater than last year!

mummies,
anyone tried Mindstretcher's Writer Toolbox?

Fierce teacher:
My kids are not scared of teachers (don't know if it's good or not). My ds can even quarrel with his teacher cos he said the teacher was not reasonable. Faintz. Why don't you try to talk to that teacher to know the cause of his fear? Then maybe can have a session for your child to trash out with the teacher. The best way to overcome it is to face the fear.

Yawn,
Cello is not common. Did your dd requested for it? She can join Symphony Orchestra next time ; )

Hi mummies
I find that p3 workload is so heavy for my gal... Can see that she is very stress! Just received letter from school that she has to stay back on every Monday for her Chinese supplementary class! Hope she can overcome it!

Mom
Yes I am a SAHM. I sent her to Mindstretcher for English and Maths. She started the English class around Q3 2010. Her school English standard is quite high and I am clueless in teaching her English esp Compre. I only started Maths this year. I hv no time to supervise her daily and knowing her learning styles, I know she has to do constant revision in order to pass the exam. For Chinese, she is taking higher Chinese this year and the school arrange extra classes for them on Thurs noon. For music, she is learning guitar at Cristofori..initially I hesitated to let her learn but she kept pestering me and so we gave in. Partly also cos, she is always quite passive when come to trying new things, so we reckon that we will support her decision since she makes the request. Every Tues, she has swimming classes.

Yawn Yawn - I also worried that my gal will be overloaded. I am alos tired of sending/fetching her to and fro..ha ha. But then, I will monitor for a while..if it is not cost-effective, I prob got to do away with Maths enrichment. I have not thought abt Science tuition yet..need to assess if she needs it or not..

FZ
This year their school began operating as single session so my #1 and #2 will come home together and when they are together..they can yak non-stop. I find it very difficult to teach both at the same time..Their supplementary classes will begin next week and they are staying back in school on different days...I think I will make use of those days to do 1-1 teaching.

Jolene
I also just receive letter from the school that they are conducting computer lessons and my P3 gal has to stay back in school till 5pm on Thurs (for 6 weeks). Very shiong for her leh..Thurs she will be very stretched as she has extra Chinese lesson from 230 to 330 and computer lessons from 330 to 5pm. Very poor thing...need to spend such a long day in school. I hope the teacher will not arrange any test/spelling/tingxie on Friday..

Jolene,
I also find p3 workload very siong .... dd has homework everyday, plus science spelling! No supplementary classes yet. The primary school honeymoon period (aka p1-p2) is officially over. They are now transiting into upper primary. Expectations on p3s are also higher as observed from this thread tt most p3s are getting fiercer/stricter teachers ... For dd, luckily she still gets to de-stress and play with her p2 good friends during recess though they are now in different classes ...

Mom
My boy goes to Han Language Ctr at Woodlands. He is atending the Enrichment Course.

I'm a SAHM.

Any mummies here live in Woodlands?

Hi bebe75 and cookiepie,
may i ask whether your kids are in the top schools? cos my gal is in the neighbourhood school and i dun find my gal stress...her workload has increased incrementally only so still manageable for her...not sure if this is gd or bad ...

It is so fortunate that you all are SAHM who can supervise your kids everyday....i am working so by the time i got home, it is already 8pm and after dinner and bath, it is 8plus....which left me only abt 1 hr plus to go through her homework with her and she got to sleep at 10am as she got to wake up early for school the next day....always no time for bonding...
sad.gif

Hi Mimosa,
i stay at punggol...any mummies out there staying at punggol??

So far the workload is still ok. 1st week bonding no homework. This week everyday, there is either 1 maths homework or 1 chinese homework. Started spelling this week with 15 phrases or words.

26 Jan will start Ting Xie. So far my girl has not complained.

She has student care from Mon (chinese), Tue (English) and Wed ( Maths). They will have daily lessons after they finished homework from school.

She stays in school 2 - 5 pm on Thur and Friday for Chinese Orchestra so she actually missed the Science lesson in student care.

Hence Monday (7.30 - 9.30pm) I have a tutor to teach her English (she needs help for comprehension and compo), Maths (I feel just to train her on speed, concept she seems ok), Science (I decided to outsource to avoid friction)

On Sat, she has piano and swimming in the morning.
Sunday, creative writing at busy bee

I will focus more on chinese comprehension on my part.

Breakfast: I am like a restaurant who will take order the day before.

She will tell me what she wants and what she is already sick off.

I also will update her my weekly meal plan for dinner to get approval.

Mom - My kids r in CHIJ, not from those TOP schs..Actually I intended to go back to work once they are in P2/P3 but then #3 came along and I got to shelve the plan liao. Actually I have no time to supervise their work...can only nag at them and make sure they complete their homework and assignment. I outsource Language subjects if I can. I coach them Maths personally until last year when I simply hv no time that I have to sign her up for tuition class.

My P3 gal is quite slow and passive..need a lot of close guidance and pushing...and hence she has more academic classes. My P2 gal is a fast learner, so far no major issue from her except her Chinese. If no improvement by first term, I hv to get help liao..

I am considering engaging a pte tutor so that I can cut down time sending them to and fro..but not easy to find good tutor and someone who is effective in all 3 subjects (Maths/English/Science)..

Hi Chicken Little,
you sound so professional..heeheee..taking order and preparing...what time do u need to get up to prepare a proper cooked breakfast? I told my gal i will get up early to prepare her scrambled egg and toast...forsee will need to wake up at 5.45 latest.... reckon that breakfast is important so gonna sacrifice my beauty sleep
happy.gif

Is Busy Bee good? Where is the centre? Has your dd improved from the lessons?

Hey, bebe75,
so u gonna have a rabbit baby this yr? Congrats! Gal or boy? So at least ur 2 gals can share some clothings and toys...heee...and the elder one can perhaps coach the younger one? That probably might help u a little? My two kids will always be fighting as the boy is really mischevious but sometimes, when i am really tired, i will just ask the Jie Jie to teach the Di Di...heee
happy.gif

Mom
Haha..nope..mine is a Tiger baby..already 7 month old and quite a handful to manage..I think boy is really very difficult to discipline..very tiring hiaz..since the arrival of #3, I have to admit that I neglect #1 and #2.

ah..not easy yea...i always take my hat off ladies who dare to have no.3 ..
happy.gif

u have a helper to assist u?

bebe75
I really pei fu you too. Looking after the youngest and still ferry the kids to and fro for this and that.

Mom
I am a early riser at 5.30. Will prepare breakfast if her request needs to be cook otherwise she will take bread from 4leaves, donut shop or etc.

I will usually prepare soup for the night and dump into my thermos shuttle chef to cook till we come home for dinner. And prepare the other dish if need to marinate etc. But of course I will knock out with them

Busy bee was recommended by my colleagues and friend for creative writing. I actually cannot tell if it is good just that before going, my girl is already quite ok with her chinese, after going , she still maintain. I just done a swop from language class to writing class this year so yet to see the result till her first essay in school which is coming up soon

Hi Mummies,

Wow there is quite a number of threads.

I seem to be a lazy mummy cos my son only has cereals for breakfast. Lucky for me,he has not complained.

I realized there is a jump from P2 to P3. It is getting tougher. My son has homework every day thus he has been trying to delay doing the homework which I gave
sad.gif

He has extra computer class on every wednesday from 1.30 - 3.30 in school.

CCA will start from 4 - 5.30pm. My son wants to join Robotics and will also be taking up swimming as another CCA to please me. I am hoping the CCAs will not fall on Thurs as he has Science class in the evening @ Mindstretcher Bishan.

On sat, he has Chinese class @ United Square's HUA Language and English @ Lorna Whintson. As for Maths, he wants me to continue teaching.

Hi avrilf, how is Hua? Do you think ur son had benefited and improved from their lessons? Are their worksheets tougher than the school? I remembered enquiring at their reception last yr but they didnt have a suitable timing for me...maybe can try again this yr
happy.gif

Also, is the Science at Mindstretcher gd? Do they go at a faster pace than the school?

Sorry for so many questions as I am in the midst of looking for gd tuition centres for my gal..

avrilf,
what cereal is good? you give with regular powdered milk or packet milk?

P3
my boy has been getting more homework nowadays. they still have unnecessary stuff like colouring though. with the stricter teacher, my boy now tries to bring home work to check even if he had finished them in school. I have to cancel some of the homework that i planned for him when he can't finish his school work. I try to believe that he is not dilly dallying on purpose to skip my work.

His school dismissal for mon is 4pm and there is an upcoming 4 weeks programme with dismissal at 4.30pm every wed. i am encouraging him to take up CCA this year and we also visiting his grandparents at least once during weekdays (and once weekends). Heard that may have remedial coming up and hope that it is for weaker students only. Time is tight.

My boy wants to join Robotics too, but needs to go through selection. I am asking him to take a look at Library club, Info-com club and Chinese Society in case he did not get into Robotics. He is not a cultural grp, uniform grp or sports person.

How is Mindstretcher's science programme?

Chicken Little, thanks for sharing
happy.gif
Nowadays, kids are just soooo busy...didnt remember attending so many lessons when i was P3..hee...sometimes, i really pity them but no choice, just to have get them to adapt to the society...i am planning to go and get the ready made pancake powder so i could just mix with water and pan fry in the morning...fairly easy...lazy mum i am
happy.gif

Mom
I have bento cutter etc. A lot of tools to play with so even if it is simple sandwich I give it to her with Hello Kitty face. Haha

I used to prepare bento lunch for her during CCA days. But she eat up during recess. And she enjoys buying food with friends so I just let her be

CL,
Wow! U r de best ''Chef" in town. No wonder my kids sometimes take
long time to finish dinner; must be sick of my menu.

Do u make breakfast & dinner yourself? Any quick & easy recipes (esp
dinner) to share?
happy.gif

Homework
Homework is still manageable. It's just the spelling list that is a
killer cos it also includes ''good phrases'' to help them with their
compo writing. My gal came back yesterday with her 1st failure in
spelling since P1
sad.gif

Hey Chicken Little,
i am really impressed...sandwich with Hello Kitty face? Wow, my gal would love it...can u share with me what bento cutter are you talking abt and where can i get it...sorry for my ignorance as I am really not a gd cook
happy.gif

Hey mummies, just wanted to check if you have any advise for me...

last nite when i was gonna mark my dd's maths assessment, then i realised that i lost the set of answers to that particulat assessment book....gosh! Searched high and low for the answers but could not locate...think must haved misplaced during the hols when she started doing the exercises...How? What should i do? Anyone know how i can get another set of answers? Would the publication be able to provide? Any idea?

I didn't log in today and see a long thread. I'm probably one lazy mummy. I leave all the cooking to my maid as I reach home only at around 8pm. After swallowing down dinner, quickly go through today's homework before rushing the kids to sleep at 9-9.30pm. Really no time for bonding. Morning breakfast, my dd just refuse to eat bf... sigh. She only drink 1 cup of milk and eat a few pieces of fruits. Luckily she's not very skinny so hopefully got some 'buffer'.

re: Supplementary class
So far, my dd has no sup class or CCA yet. So it's still like 'honeymoon period' for her. The teacher said CCA will only start end Feb. She started her Science private tuition and Chinese berries. Other than that, she only has piano lesson. Hearing all these talk about extra sup class sounds scary to me. I can't imagine how she will cope.

hmm.. is really glad to see this thread gets active again... and really pei fu many hardworking mummies. For my ds, he only started morning session this yr after 2 yrs of afternoon session. So far seen not much stress in homework, not sure is it because of the long hours he have at home after school now, compared to past 2 yrs whereby short hours left for him to complete his homework after school.

he need not have to stay back in school for any extra lessons or CCAs so far. His P3 levels are all now having modular CCAs which is incorporate into his time-table on every Friday, about 9-10.30am. The level are separated into groups and going through 4 sports, to allow the kids to understand about them before they decided to pick them up as CCA by the end of the year.

Breakfast
Mostly bread or buns + 1 cup of milk. Then hubby brings dd to school in the morning & off to work. I'm not an early morning person, cannot wake up so early to prepare breakfast. Hmm, sounds like a bad mommy hor, never prepare 爱心早餐 for her

Supplementary classes
No extra classes for my dd's school. Her school also very 'nua' one, suits her lah. Hehe, I pyscho dd to drop her p2 cca as need to stay back in school for 2 afternoons this year, too time consuming. I ask her to pick another cca.

CCA

hey, talking abt CCA, i heard fr a colleague that there is this prog that allows certain CCA to be used to apply for direct entry into certain gd SAP sec schools (gd if your child might not meet the entry requirements for certain sec sch u like).....so do take note when choosing the CCA your child takes up.
happy.gif

hi yawn yawn, don't feel bad, i am one also... i also can't wake up early, so normally is my hubby who will prepare my ds for breakfast and bring him to school, while i still zzzzz away. Only today then i 'force' myself to walk him to school and is the 1st time since school reopens this year..., after ds' various requests over the 2 wks.... i sound a bad mom too.. :p

maisy

Music is not my dd's strength although she requested to learn. I've not bought a cello yet. Must find a teacher first. I don't forsee her practising daily or making her mark in music lah. We've a piano at home and she touches it like thrice a year, haha!

Mom and fz: Science @ Mindstretcher started in Dec 2010. My son seems to enjoy his class. They are also given beans to bring home and grow. Every week they will bring to class to compare.

Heard they will be given a hamster or something else later in the term to bring home and look after.

As there is no test yet, thus I am not sure whether if it is good. His 1st school test will be end Feb.

Mom: Hua seems ok cos my son's chinese sucks when he juz entered P1. Over the years he has shown improvement and scored well for both Hua and school exams.

Their paper seems ok to me. They have spelling test every week. The spelling words are tougher than my son's school.

They practised writing Chinese composition fortnightly last yr. Hope they will continue this year.

Hua also has a chinese class focusing on composition and comprehension.

Seems like all the kids are going for more classes now in anticipation of the tougher syllabus and an extra science subj.

Mom,
My kids will take grade 3 this year. They are both learning under a private teacher at home. I find that progress a bit slow but as they both have no music talent, I just let them be with a view that music is for enjoyment.

Yawn,
My kids also. Only when I force them then they will 'touch' the piano.

Hi mummies
My gal will have Chinese & Maths supplementary classes on every Monday start from 2-3.30 then on Thursday English & Science also start from2-3.30. She has CCA on every Wednesday & Friday! Piano lesson will be on Sunday this ye her piano teacher is preparing her for her grade 2 exam in 2012....stress!

Maisy

Haha, my dd1 still playing beginner's pieces lah. Didn't send her for formal lessons, she picked up bits & pieces from her younger sister whenever she's in the mood. I tried to pyscho her to learn piano more seriously (like attend weekly lessons) instead of cello since already invested on a piano, although we bought the piano for dd2 not dd1. dd1 refuses leh, probably didn't want to be directly compared to her younger sister

How long do your kids usually take to progress one grade? Grade 3 is not slow lah

Jolene

Like that almost everyday need to stay back in school. Got time to do homework?

My dd2 just started grade 2 with a new teacher. Already told teacher to kiv exam to grade 3. Think no need to take exam at every grade

Hi yawn yawn
I really pity my gal.... I find that it's too much for her!
For piano she didn't go for grade 1 she will take grade 2 in 2012... She already complain that she is stress by the overwhelming workload! And she is in the best class so the teacher really drill them like mad! Seeing her like that made me heartache!

Jolene

The supplementary classes are compulsory? Then perhaps you can consider cutting back on cca involvement from 2 days to 1 day? which cca is she taking?

My dd's school has no streaming. They merely spread the top students among the cohort. So no drilling from school, no supplementary classes, no extra whatsover

Hi yawn yawn

She is in dancesport(ballroom dancing) & art club. I asked her to give up either one but she refused cos both are her favorite! Supplementary classes are compulsory for them! Then everyday sure got homework! Almost every subject also got homework'

Jolene,
Is your dd in one of the top schools? Sounds like a lot og stress. How does she come home after the cca and sup class? My kids are taking schoolbus now and I ask my maid to fetch them after or b4 cca (depends on the session). Going forward, seems like most time not taking schoolbus. V tedious to fetch them everyday. Next year they may have diff timing so may have to train dd to be independent and take bus home (3 bus stop away). But hub worried about having to cross a carpark to the bus stop. Sigh...

Yawn,
Your dd2 is only k2 right? So to be learning grade 2 is qt fast. My friends kids (p3 this yr) took grade 3 or 4 last year. Some of them were top in class or school. They will sms and ask if my dd is top in class. Stressful for me.

maisy

my dd2 is p1. She started learning since 5 years old so she has been learning for 2 years, not that fast to reach grade 2 lah. We just started her with a new private teacher, hopefully a better balance than before. I wanted her to focus more on her academic, restrict her piano practice to an hour a day only, don't have time to spend so many hours on piano lah, academic more important leh

I read in straits times that one of last year PSLE scholars have 2 music diploma. Jaw drop! Maybe your friends kids are in the same league? Super kids can multi-task so well. Beyond my imaginations. My dd1 only likes to curl up in bed to read. Zero tasking. Hey, I'm still packing dd1's school bag even though she's already P3

Jolene

Indeed very stressful. Maybe free up her weekends then, at least have some rest time

By the way, your dd loves to dance? Ballroom dancing sounds interesting. My kids' school doesn't have such hip cca

Gd morning mummies...wow, the thread is so active over the weekend...
happy.gif
happy.gif

Jolene,
wow, ur dd indeed has a very busy schedule....my dd is in one of the neighbourhood schs in Punggol - Mee Toh Sch...urs?

avrilf,
gd to know that Sc @ Mindstretcher is so interesting
happy.gif
Maybe i will find out more at the Punggol branch outlet.
happy.gif
Thanks!

Maisy Daisy,
my dd actually was the one who requested to learn piano but i always have to be the one to 'push' her to practise...she is so lazy...sigh..

Yawn yawn,
is your new private music teacher good? How much do you pay and how long is the duration of the class? Could you recommend to me pls?

All, have a great Monday ahead!!!

yawn yawn
I refused to pack the bag for my girl from this year. I will nag and nag till she pack all in herself. Told her she dun do it then answer her teacher herself.

First time my girl kenna a little more homework this weekend. 1 essay, 1 chinese homework, 1 maths homework and to do some reading.

She did all on Friday and Sat after swimming she knocked out till dinner time and Sunday she caught up on her tutor's homework and prepare for the week's spelling.

Her tingxie will start 26 Jan and you know what , she will be having chinese test in the week of CNY, so before CNY, she has to study hard

Back