(2002) Any 2002 babies?

hippo
I check website, my community centre don't have S&D. Anyway, would check personally at the cc. My son originally wanted to go art class. Enrolled in CC, paid $50 but go only 2 - 3 times. The class is too big at 18 students.

Unless you teach your child piano, then okay to learn simple songs. Because learning piano is expensive. My husband insists my girl learn piano. I know piano, I even didn't suggest she learn. Last time my mum said, play piano can de-stress when studying too much for exams. My girl every time also never practise. Nag also never touch. waste money. I told her to stop learning, she said don't want. bo pian.

Julia Gabriel also expensive. Teach by ang moh is never cheap. Ya, saw their story session at library, good & dramatic.

ssm
totally agree, money is also an issue for FTWM. my husband gives his mum allowance & pays her for taking care of son, pays nanny for taking care of girl, pays his car loan. I pay all bills (PUB, property tax, TV licence), enrichments for both children, piano, girl's assessment & textbooks, now son's assessment books, girl's transport, uniforms. Both of us still have insurance, income tax & part time maid to pay. Practically no savings!

ssm
when you wrote boys learn ballet, I almost laugh out. piano? I think my boy is 5 min interest. Still early to tell. But it may be good way for him to sit still.

caroline3sg,
haha, same here, all our $$$ goes to car loan, housing loan, mil's allowance, kids school and enrichment fees, utility bill, property tax, hp bill, income tax, insurance, maid's salary and levy and on top of paying all these stuff, still have to save. So I have to be selective on the courses I plan to send my children to, esp fm next yr onwards.

abt the boy learning ballet, really no joke. he learn together with his sister at the CC. his sister wears pink costume and he wears baby blue.

caroline3sg,
I'm using cpf and cash to pay off housing loan. gd that u paid off, at least dont hv to worry that much.

btw, any mummies here send yr kids for MPM programme?

ssm

where did you boy attend phonics?
didn't send my kids to MPM
golf & drum is good leh. my girl not interested in any musical instrument or sports. she only likes running

CarolineSg

here's the PA link for your info http://one.pa.gov.sg/CRMSPortal/CRMSPortal.portal
Why don't you teach your girl piano?

I am not musically inclined, took keyboard lesson at Yamaha before. Yawn...
Maybe my girl inherited my genes
lol.gif

Jasmine

Isn't it better if your kids like to sleep? hehe, got more free time while they nap

hippo2002,
in a way... i can cook dinner. on the other hand, it is quite a waste of time during noon. tried to cut short but they end up very grumpy. most of my son's friends do not nap.

ssm,
i met a mother who sends her sons to mpm. she said the programme is quite good. i din not ask much as i was not very interested then.

Hi All
Could I join the thread?

I am FTWM with DD1 (yr 2002) and DS2 (yr 2003). I was reading at the discussions on enrichment class. My kids also take many enrichment - Phonics, Chinese, English S&D and organ. Thinking of Gym next yr as it's unisex so both can go tog.

<font color="ff6000">jasmine,</font>
waste of time meh? I thot kids who take nap will be able to focus and concentrate better cos got ample rest? also like hippo mentioned, while they napping, we adults also can hv our own time. I think my colleague helpout at the MPM part-time. Let me go ask her more abt it.

<font color="0000ff">hippo,</font>
my son used to attend phonics class thru PAP but next year onwards I will enrol him to, probably, zoophonics. This time, I will send my younger one too. Still trying to find out more abt zoophonics.

<font color="ff0000">gin,</font>
welcome! how do u find time to send yr children to so many classes since u are a FTWM?

ssm
Actually I started my boy for phonics at mid yr, hopefully he can finish next mid yr, then proceed to preparatory for P1 for half yr.

Unfortunately after 4 months of sit down approach of phonics (originally thought that such approach can make him more sit still, but apparently I think he didn't like it, and just switched off or couldn't follow), he only knows the 26 sounds. At that time, I wasn't exposed to zoophonics until one forum mummy highly recommended it. He should know all 26 sounds from Kinderland Child Care had he not been absent due to frequent falling sick. So after 4 months, start all over again at zoophonics (ie wasted in front 4 months).

caroline3sg,
oic. but at least he learn and improved alot?

Just called up the Zoophonics. The nearest branch has got no evening class, so I can only send my kids for weekend classes. I didnt know the teacher will access the kids before enrolling them.

Hi ssm
Tink you are also in Bedok thread? I recently updated my profile and edited my name to Gin (user unchange lwg) so you din recognise me ; )

Half a year ago, I was still SAHM. Jus started working some months back. My maid brings my kids to Phonics and Chinese class (all on weekdays aftn). The other enrichment is at nite / weekends so I bring them myself. My gal finishing her 2-year organ course soon. After that I'm gog to take a break. It's a BIG pain to bring her there every fri nite, sit in w her 1 hr and worst, is practice w her every week. I shouted at her until whole flat can hear. Can't wait for the course to end! But I do admit there is satisfaction in seeing her being able to play a complete piece with both hands. For my ds2, I plan to teach him myself at home.

Regarding MPM, my friend's dd enrol and join for a few terms. She say her dd cried and refused to go into the class. But her ds (pri sch) benefitted from MPM and improve his maths results. I think it depends on the kid's character. If he/she can't sit still, then not possible to expect to sit there 1.5 hr to do the worksheet. I think it's similar as Kumon, except the worksheet is different. Maybe can go for trial to test out interest?

gin,
i see from the website that MPM (kindermath) is only 45min x 2 session. i find the time spent there per session is quite short, considering that it will took me almost the same time to go there by public transport.

Gin!
gee! didnt know u are the same person! haha
Hmm, my colleague showed me some qns they do in class for K1/K2. It seems very interesting to me and I thought it can be quite fun for the kids. And my colleague said that they have align their worksheets to MOE syllabus. Anyways, I will make a trip down to the centre and take a look at their worksheets.

ssm
At zoophonics, assessement is by the boss herself, Renee (not sure correct spelling or not). She would indicate on the form which aspect your child know / don't know for teacher's reference.

caroline3sg,
err...i think i spoke to a lady named Shirley, if i get her name correctly.

jo, welcome to the club. are u a FTWM or SAHM?

ssm
Shirley is the recep. She said she is in charge of sales. Her sales meaning getting parents to sign courses for their kids. To me, this is not call sales. Most of the people who join are based on words of mouth.

She was with Bukit Timah. The branch at Siglap is new. So they transferred Shirley (old bird) there. Anyway, she stays in the East, easier for commuting.

ssm
Yes they newly opened 2 branches, East is one of them. I think another one at Serangoon?

Are you signing up? If you happen to sign up your child, pls quote my son's name "Clarence Lok" from Young Joeys at Bukit Timah Sun 9.30am.

ssm,

dun know leh. maybe my older son is in primary school so other mums felt it is a waste of time and it is a habit. but if he doesn't sleep, he cannot concentrate.

ssm
fyi, last week (& next few weeks), I picked my boy earlier to rush for my girl's class, he asked me he hasn't sing songs yet, meaning so fast go home, ah? Seems he begins to like the class.

mummies with kids in abacus,

do you let your kid do the grading test?
yes, and no, can say why?
if yes, how do you help your kid prepare, and roughly how is the test going to be like?

thanks.

caroline3sg,
its gd that yr boy enjoys the class. Not all children likes to go for enrichment classes, my son is one of them.

fz
grading test done in class. Teacher would give out worksheets, starting with level 10 (ie the easiest one), then move down to 9, to 8, 7 and so on. There is a minimum pass score in order for you to go down next level. So if the next level, fail, then you would be graded at the previous level.

ssm
that's why have to find one that is suitable to their character. Courses that are learn through play and yet not too expensive is not so widespread available.

thanks caroline3sg,
my boy has to go down to the community centre to take the test. need to pay a fee too. the easiest stage is level 12. even have to pay separately for both abacus and mental arithmetic grading test. don't know how to prepare him. i know that mental arithmetic has a time limit for the paper...does abacus has? any idea?

fz
yes, there is time limit, usually 10 min, for abacus. You can prepare him by placing an alarm clock in front of him when practising from the booklet.

caroline3sg,
ya i agree with u. btw i asked my colleague to show me her son's P1 maths text and work book. Looks simple but its the way they phrase the qn, quite creative.

ssm
don't be "cheated" by the so call simple maths syllabus. maths is killer paper. now seems sch don't use text to teach, just do worksheets and go through answers. So it depends on the setter's way of phrasing the questions.

So if a child needs explanation why this step like this, usually this is the parents' responsibility. If this happens, then it means that in class, just copy the answer from the white board.

one more thing, I realise next yr's textbook list includes chinese flash cards. If the size is small (ie slightly bigger than name cards), then isn't it very clear is parents' responsibility to reinforce the characters at home?

caroline3sg,
ya, now MOE emphasize on creative learning, which is why I am thinking of sending my son to MPM.

Wah, still must use flashcards ah?

Hubby said the new trend now is SAHMs produce kids with better academic results. Not because they are smarter but because mommies are there to closely monitor them. The top PSLE scholar's mom is a houswife. Other president scholars or scholarship holders mostly have non working moms.

mommies, what do you think?

hi mummies,
wow this thread is really moving fast. was busy at wrk, could hardly catch up.

like to ask all FTWM, hw do u manage yr time to teach n monitor yr kids? i leave hm for wrk at 7.30am, smtimes even earlier when there is wrk to clear. reach hm earliest by 7pm. hardly hv time to sit dwn with kids to go thru their wrk. ds1 goin P1 nx yr. feel he's spending too much time on tv and playing. i really need to make some adjustment!

brought ds1 to berries for trial class today. he likes the class and keen to join. spoke to the teacher after the lesson. she comment he's weak in reading/ recognising the characters, and his hanyu pin ying is not very gd too. he would hv a hard time catching up nx yr!

the assistant at the counter proposed that we enrol him in the k2 class to build up the foundation first before switching him to the P1 class when he's ready. otherwise he might get very stress up and lose interest in learning.

mummies, any advice?

Back