very little breast milk

Yes Doris,this is what I did too when my baby is very young. I only pump once a day and latch on all the way before I go back to work.

maureen, cactus, doris.... thanks..
So we lay bb on the bed 2 suck 1 breast n the other pump 2gether is it ?
when bb considered very young ? my bb is 3 mths le.. is 1 breast enough 4 her ?

hi lingling, my baby was borned on 18 aug probably a few wks younger than yrs...for me, i do not know how to lay on bed to feed baby..i'll sit on a chair & carry my bb on one side & pump the other side..1 breast is enough for my bb who usually drinks 2-3hrs interval..

i tink u r staying ard sengkang as i seems to see yr name from the sengkang/punggol thread..i stay in SK too

Wah DOris...

Means ur ss sufficient for your bb leh... Even only 1 side enough.. MIne I gave 2 side liao :D
Yes I'm there in PG/SK thread.. I stay in PG
happy.gif

What is the good food in SK ? hehehe.. r u using PT maid ? Looking 4 one
happy.gif

hi ling ling,

No matter 1 side or both side, so long bb is satisfied, not crying & gaining weight is fine..is yrs a bb gal or boy?

i used to have PT maid but now I have a full time maid..my PT maid was an indonesian but she's pregnant now.
There is a prime mart & scuplture park & a food court at compassvale street. The vegetarian stall in this food court sells nice vegetarian food..not many gd food in SK unlike mature estate

Doris,
that's the problem... I gave 2 side liao but I feel mite not enough
sad.gif
how to pump one side leh ?
Mine is bb gal but big at birth so doc said she needs more milk..
Do you think it's better using full time or part time maid ?

Leona, if I really really need it, can I count on ur EBM ? :p sourcing for supply heee

Hi Lingling...

I feel part time maid a bit not worth it... coz they can;t readlly help at nite time... but then again full time maid also scared... lack of privacy when someone in the hse....

Jean, that's true... Hb said to get a maid but the privacy I was thinking about leh.. moreover we do like to travel ( i mean b4 bb n after bb bit manageable lahh :p ) then how ?? Worried oso cant get good maid
sad.gif

ling ling, sure! So long as i still hv the supply when u need it =) I gng back to work soon so may nt be able to chk this thread so often. PM me if u need ^-^

my bb latch one side n i pump the other side too.

cactus,

if supply drop, do you think can increase back again? i previously pump out 250ml each 4hrly. But now 6hrly can only fetch 180-200ml. At most 900ml per day. Is there anyway to increase? I'm supplementing with 1 fm feed in the afternoon. But quite depressing.. & I've been reading this thread on & off. Feel very motivated by a few mummies here. Pls advice.

Mummies,
Pls help too.. thanks, my baby prefers bm to fm.

Kel yes you can. Maybe you try not to have too long interval between each session. Over the weekend increase your express session. Try to drink more fluid.

kel, I think it is possible to increase supply. In fact, there are some mothers who practice re-lactation after they stopped bf for a while.
happy.gif
I agree with Maureen's suggestions! Try to also pump longer at each session. Pump till you are dry and beyond for a couple more minutes.

Maureen,

I'm trying out 4hrly now. I usually watch my fluid intake. But cut down on food abit. Like carbo.

Ling Ling,
my boy is coming 2mths old tml.

Cactus_79,
I read your posting. & I pump for another 5mins after i'm dry. Hope it helps.

Btw, i read on somewhere can get this drug moltimium i tink. Any1 tried b4?? Fenugreek don't really work for me.

Thanks!!!

kel, keep up the good work on pumping after you are dry. I compress my breasts when I pump too. This speeds up the expression and helps to empty them better. Give yourself 3 to 5 days to see if your supply goes up. You can ask your GP for the drug but my suggestion is rest more, drink more, pump more and pump longer, take more protein rich food. Then see if your supply goes up.

kel, i agreed with maureen tat cut down on food intake & less fluid, supply will decrease..my bb is 3mths old & i still eat quite alot & drink milo & anmum to maintain my supply b4 returning to work (cos stress, supply will decrease:-(
Ling Ling, my bb is also quite big at birth 3.764kg & initially i've been feeding on both side (abt 1-2hrs interval on latch on) till my supply increase & bb now drinks only on one side (2-3hrs interval)..if u still cant handle pump while latch on, u can try to pump after feeding though not much milk will come out but at least by doing so, it'll tell the body to produce more..if possible latch on instead of pump..
Last mth, i tried to increase my supply & now i stop cos bb cant drink tat much, in the end, got lumps on breast & its painful..

Doris, I agreed with you. I got one time I have mastitis. Sometimes it is due to the position you sleep too.

So especially bf mummies try not to go on diet. Maybe can just eat healthy instead of junk food.

I had mastitis 3 times.. learnt not to wear tight tops and normal bras. Always wear nursing bras and always massage when expressing/latching on.

yes! It's important to eat healthy food like oily fish. DHA!

oh i c..i hardly massage..

agreed must eat healthy food, i ate alot of "wuyu" fish (i tink its called thread fish?)

Hi,
i have been pumping for 6 weeks and still no increase in bm... each time can only pump 70ml..i think hopeless for me already

hi mummies,
is it possible to increase ss of bm if we feed baby on demand? i feel very discouraged when i pump cos the max i can get everytime is only about 40ml & that's considered good for me. if not it hovers around 20ml-30ml. so pathetic! everytime have to supplement with fm & it makes me feel so lousy.
sad.gif

shan, are u a SAHM ? Or u need to work so need to express ?

If u are going a SAHM. Feed baby on demand. No worries of not enough milk. Always latch on when baby demands will slowly adjust your body to produce the milk that your baby needs.

Supplement with FM will make your baby drink lesser on breast.

If u are doing expressing, than 3 hourly once. It takes at least one week to see result. Some ppl even do 2 hourly for the first few months.

I find it very troublesome and stress to express thus i've been latching on for the past 10 months. Recently wean my baby off breast and been giving through bottle. Supply drop like nuts. So introduce FM. Very very upset
sad.gif
But i am happy enough to latch on for 10 months.

Smurfy & Shan, if both of u are still on maternity or SAHM, I would encourage to latch on & feed bb on demand as this is the best way to increase supply..i used to be told by drs & nurses tat I've not enough for my no. 1 but i've persisted to latch on almost 1-2hrs interval till my supply increased..now i've breastfed by no. 2 for 3mths & supply has established after sleepless nites of latch-on every 2hrs for the first few weeks..dont feel discouraged, continue to latch on if not possible, pump at least 3hrs interval & must also drink lots of fluid & eat..(i felt giddy after latch on if i didnt take my meal)..shan, its ok to supplement with fm when u r really tired at nite but if too much of fm, yr supply will not increase tat much..
babyrainbowz, me too, felt its troublesome & stress to express & I prefer latch on but i've to get used to pumping when i return to work (no choice)..

Doris, i agreed.

Now i'm total expressing. No more latching. Miss the bonding but i guess is also a good time to wena my baby off so someone else can take care of him when i need to go out.

Even thought u are pumping, u can continue to latch on when u are home from work. Just don;t give up breastfeeding !

Hi mommies

Do you know how much to time taken to empty the breasts.... I just stopped after 20 mins and sometimes don;t know if there are still milk or not...

Jean, if the breasts are soft then you should have emptied the breasts. You can also feel that whether your breasts are heavy or not.

Jean, yes there is a difference when yr breasts are heavy, once they are soft, u shd have emptied them, usually 2 letdown or even 3

Mommies, my breast never look swollen swollen like very big the whole one at least that what my mum said.. But aureola n niple do lehh... I think there is milk cos after bb latch on, only can see the niple shape..
One concern actually, is it enough for her ? She is 3 mths ystdy. If I let her latch on then she finishes, she looks ok, mean not cry or smth but then after that if I give FM, she can finish also.. at least 120 ml now. Confuse whether my ss ok or not
sad.gif

ling ling, if u latch on demand without any miss feed, yr breast would look normal unless bb has missed her drinking like 4-5hrs, yr breast would feel hard & full..if bb is satisfied, she will stop & refuse to have yr nipple..as long as bb has urine a couple of times & pass motion & putting on weight, she's enough...do you latch on ard every 2-3hrs?

Ling ling, you can try to offer the 2nd breast if she still latch on that means she is not full. If she rejects means she is full.

i'm a SAHM, & i try to latch baby on whenever she wants. it usually starts out ok, but a little while later she'll start fidgeting & squirming, then she'll arch her back & start screaming. happens the same on both sides. think my supply is really not enough for her. when this happens i've no choice but to supplement with FM if not she'll scream till she's red.
sad.gif
she's already 3 months now, & i wonder if it's still possible to increase ss by latching on more often. cos she wont want to continue sucking when there's no more milk.

Hi mummies,
i have problems with my breast milk supply. i only felt a bit engorgement on 4th and 5th day after i delivered my baby. i did try to pump out my milk, 1st time pumping was on 3rd day and i only got 20ml, on 4th and 5th day, i got 80ml. but soon after that, i don felt any pain for my breast anymore and it is very soft until today. i didnt latch on my baby regularly because he gets very frustated each time as he was too hungry to suck on milkless breast. whenever i try to pump now, i can only get at most 10ml for 1/2 hr of expressing. i am very reluctant to give up and feel sorry for my baby. if my breast is soft all the time, am i one of those who don't have much BM no matter what? my baby is nearly 1 mth old now, what can i do to help? is it too late?

Soft breast doesnt mean no supply. Only engorged breasts are not good cos often get engorged mean you didnt let the baby latch on or pump out, as times goes supply will drop. Pauline you are doing very good. Just let him latch on and pump as often as you can regular supply will increase. Your supply has not stable yet. Supply will stable about 8-12 weeks. So don't worry.

Shan & Pauline,

You can try to drink green papaya boiled with fish bone soup & eat lots of fish (thread fish? or "Wuyu"). Also, drink anmum milk and eat green apple. This is what I have been doing since confinement & of course, keep latching on.

maureen and doris,

thanks for your advice. now, i can only grab the chance to latch on my baby when he is not so hungry yet, maybe 5 to 10 mins each side and around 2 to 3 times a day every 3 hourly. other than that i try to pump out. my problem same as shan, baby don cooperate very well with me.

Maureen, I have given not only 2nd breast but 3rd sometimes hehehe....

Doris, I latch on whenever she seems want but that I have this same problem like Shan.. After sometimes bb busy bending her body and look other way but she doesnt cry... So I thought is it enough for her cos the time she spent on breast is not as long as when she was very young leh...

Shan, I have exactly same problem with you..
Early days when I pumped, I oso only got max 40 ml
sad.gif
very pathetic actually..my bb is also 3 mths now and also supplementing
sad.gif
Oso been supplementing myself with fenugreek and galact. Drink more and eat more ( like a cow oredi hehehe )then sometimes I can pump 60-80 ml after ard 6 hrs.. Once I hit 100 ml but after that dont know
sad.gif
back to 40-60 ml... now since I'm alone at home (mom has went back) and I has to cope with the bb myself, I hardly pump.. just latch her on.. Not sure though whether it's enough or not but if you notice mom's peace of mind oso work wonder in SS.

Pauline, ur bb still very young... many opportunity.. At least u have reached 80 ml on the 4th n 5th day, mine was still working on that even though passing one months :p

Pauline, ur bb still very young

ling ling,

i hope things would turn better. my grandma and mother dont understand the rationale of stimulation of suction increase milk supply, everytime they tell me to give up whenever i start to latch on my baby. very toubled by this also. hai.......i'll start on fenugreek soon to try. some mummy advice to drink more milk, i'll try too.

Pauline, wish u all the best... my mom oso didnt understand the suction rationale.. so i was under tremendous pressure to supplemen.. In hospital oso !! the nurse asked to supplemen !! Outrageous rite?

ling ling, that's surprise to hear that.

for mommies who have experience in increasing BM supply by latching on baby regulary, how long is the latch on session for each breast?

i still have problem in latching on, baby always reject me because he is too hungry. many time cant bear to see him struggling and crying =( if i try 1/2 hour before his feeding time, sometimes he is just open his mouth and look in a daze, if not fall asleep because too comfortable while i am cuddling him.

ling ling, i'm also under pressure to supplement by my MIL. everytime after latching on & baby cries, she'll say that baby doesn't have enough to drink, & better supplement with formula. quite discouraging!
sad.gif
at least u managed to hit 100ml! i've never had that much, highest i got was 70ml & it was only once. my max now is only 40ml & i'm tired of pumping already. i try to latch baby on whenever i can.

pauline, i'm taking this herbal supplement called Motherlove More Milk Plus. it's supposed to help with milk production. i read in the forum that it worked very well for some mummies. started taking it when i realised my ss drop to 20ml (how sad is that). i think it helped my ss go back to my usual amt. maybe u can try that too.

Hi Shan,

That 100 ml is also only that once
happy.gif
Max usually I got only ard 40 ml.. So that time if I insist feeding baby with BM, just collect from several pumping session to feed her :p but I heard baby suckling is better than the pump so she get more than whatever we pumped out
happy.gif

Hi Pauline, Shan & Ling Ling,

I've also been under pressure from MIL who insisted tat i've no milk when I've my 1st kid, however, after a series of every 1-2hrs of latch on, i've proven to her tat i can do it. Now my 2nd one, MIL kept quiet when she saw tat i could pump out as much as 5oz from one breast..thanks to my confinement lady who was good, she has cooked green papaya with fish bone soup for me & encourage me to latch on...don't feel discourage, i'm sure all yr supplies will increase

Pauline, I didn't time how long to latch on. I just let my baby latch on for 15 mins after that I switch to the other breast for another 15 mins. If still wants I will switch back to the original breast.

Ling Ling, which hospital is that?

i also noticed that when i supplement baby with FM after latch on, he took double the time to finish the amt of milk that he used to.

Maureen, it's GLENEAGLES !! Scary uh ?? maybe the FM company give them many things :D

Doris, share the recipe of the young papaya... do we need to add salt or something ? mom tried to make 4 me but it tasted n smelt very fishy lehh
sad.gif

Pauline, i bought the More Milk Plus from TMC pharmacy, costs $48.40. you can try to google "Motherlove More Milk Plus" to find out more about it. It also has fenugeek in it plus other herbs that are supposed to boost milk ss. at least it helped me regain my milk ss, little as it is!
Ling ling, my MIL also cooked the papaya & fish soup for me & it tasted & smelt really fishy too. *yucks* appreciate if anyone can share their recipe with us!

thanks shan.

i had a confinement recipe, it uses pig tails bone, red dates, wolfberries, white rice wine and ginger adding to the green papaya soup. i tried added with fish, really difficult to swallow.

Back