Twins Babies SG

Thanks Sharifah. My first set is fraternal. 2 sacs, 2 placenta. As the gynae puts it, that's the best kind of twins to have. The lowest risk as they won't compete with each other. I was suppose to deliver naturally until my body could not hold on any longer, with pre-eclampsia setting in. So end up with scheduled csect at 37 weeks 4 days.

Gynae also weigh up the risk for me if I do wait for natural. Risk of 2nd twin turning after twin 1 is out is always there. He can help turn the baby but it's not always a 100% can case. If can't, have to e csect which will put both baby and mother in great risk. Somehow, gynae also believe in the luck around delivery time. When I was going to deliver, I ask the ward, gynae and nurses, all say recent case, no success, all end up emergency. Then there's the cost. If twin 1 out natural, twin 2 emergency, we pay double.

Shall see this time.... Still hoping to go natural. :)

that's what I am thinking and worried about too.. shall weigh the options as the delivery date nears. 37 weeks and 4 days sounds like a good amount of time for the twins to arrive! How big were they when they were born?

Hi raining cows, they were 2.23 and 2.25. But no complications and of good health. Only extra night stay cause twin 1 had slight jaundice.

Thanks Sharifah. My first set is fraternal. 2 sacs, 2 placenta. As the gynae puts it, that's the best kind of twins to have. The lowest risk as they won't compete with each other. I was suppose to deliver naturally until my body could not hold on any longer, with pre-eclampsia setting in. So end up with scheduled csect at 37 weeks 4 days.

Gynae also weigh up the risk for me if I do wait for natural. Risk of 2nd twin turning after twin 1 is out is always there. He can help turn the baby but it's not always a 100% can case. If can't, have to e csect which will put both baby and mother in great risk. Somehow, gynae also believe in the luck around delivery time. When I was going to deliver, I ask the ward, gynae and nurses, all say recent case, no success, all end up emergency. Then there's the cost. If twin 1 out natural, twin 2 emergency, we pay double.

Thanks for sharing. Majority of mommies who had 2nd set of twins are those who carried fraternal twins before. As for identical twins are jewel cases that happens ones in a lifetime. I am carrying fraternal twins and hubby always had those strong feeling that we will have 2nd set in the future. Both ways are blessing.

Which hospital was your 1st set of twins delivered? I have read about pre-eclampsia and it's scary. How did your doctor identify them? During my last visit, I asked doctor from high risk clinic about the guidelines for twins delivery. Hospital guideline to induce for twins is in between 37-38weeks. An ideal weight for each is estimated 2.6kg+- without NICU. If everything is healthy, we can compromise till 39weeks since due dates, scanning details are always estimated. I am afraid of induction because what if the induction failed and babies heart rate become distressed? All of us know the answer to this is emergency c section. So now I am reading on natural induction such as walking, having sex and many more that we could do. Next guideline, after 2hrs of first twin born and second twin not responding, emergency c section will take place. But again I asked if she did came across the 2nd twin born a day after since fraternal twins are with their own sacs and own placentas. She smiled and answered yes there are such cases. If 2nd twins sac and placenta are still intact, doctors will not force baby out. She kept reminding me that doctors will always advise the worst cases to avoid dispute in future and it's up to mom to decide next. They will prepare a form to sign if we refuse and they will ahead if we agree.

I am planning for natural too since this far babies both are heads down and even so 1 is breech in future, hopefully not the first twin. Hope the best for your VBAC for your 2nd twins.

that's what I am thinking and worried about too.. shall weigh the options as the delivery date nears. 37 weeks and 4 days sounds like a good amount of time for the twins to arrive! How big were they when they were born?

I have asked around about full term of twins and 38weeks is the best and 39weeks for singleton is the best. This is to ensure babies are ready.
Screenshot_2013-12-10-16-47-21.png

WOW ariadne.. You are amazing.. two sets of twins!! and you carried the first set to 37 weeks.. how did you do it?

Thanks for sharing. Majority of mommies who had 2nd set of twins are those who carried fraternal twins before. As for identical twins are jewel cases that happens ones in a lifetime. I am carrying fraternal twins and hubby always had those strong feeling that we will have 2nd set in the future. Both ways are blessing.

Which hospital was your 1st set of twins delivered? I have read about pre-eclampsia and it's scary. How did your doctor identify them? During my last visit, I asked doctor from high risk clinic about the guidelines for twins delivery. Hospital guideline to induce for twins is in between 37-38weeks. An ideal weight for each is estimated 2.6kg+- without NICU. If everything is healthy, we can compromise till 39weeks since due dates, scanning details are always estimated. I am afraid of induction because what if the induction failed and babies heart rate become distressed? All of us know the answer to this is emergency c section. So now I am reading on natural induction such as walking, having sex and many more that we could do. Next guideline, after 2hrs of first twin born and second twin not responding, emergency c section will take place. But again I asked if she did came across the 2nd twin born a day after since fraternal twins are with their own sacs and own placentas. She smiled and answered yes there are such cases. If 2nd twins sac and placenta are still intact, doctors will not force baby out. She kept reminding me that doctors will always advise the worst cases to avoid dispute in future and it's up to mom to decide next. They will prepare a form to sign if we refuse and they will ahead if we agree.

I am planning for natural too since this far babies both are heads down and even so 1 is breech in future, hopefully not the first twin. Hope the best for your VBAC for your 2nd twins.

Hi Sharifah,

I delivered in Gleneagle. I actually had an uneventful pregnancy with only severe ms for the first 14 weeks. But things went a bit downhill from 30 weeks. At 30 weeks, I had mild contractions, warded for two nights, put on drips and had injections to help babies lung develop faster. Contractions stopped and I was discharged. Had a second scare when I had contraction again at week 35. Again warded for a night. Gynae give me injections and pills again but he says if contractions do not stop by next day, he is prepared to deliver me. Thankfully, it stopped. By week 36, I had traces of protein in my urine and blood pressure getting high. I also had swollen feet.

Hence, doctor make the decision to deliver me a week later. Cos he weighs out all the options. Waiting is no longer an option as preeclampsia can be very dangerous and can shut down my organs one by one. Besides, the babies are not growing significantly any longer in me. 37 weeks is almost full term for twins, so decided to take them out and reduce the harm to my body.

To be honest, weigh is just a guideline. Once babies are born, their estimated weigh will dropped as they shrink. A small baby can still have a fully developed lungs and avoid NICU. A friend who delivered a day after me had a 3kg baby but baby had difficulties breathing so in nicu for a day.

Most twins pregnancies will deliver before 40 weeks, so should face the dilemma if induction. Also doctors will estimate closer to edd when will babies likely to come out and administer injections to help babies with lung development. The lungs is the last organ to be developed. Hence the fear of nicu for premature babies.

Normally, gynae will perform emergency csect to remove twin 2 if twin 2 no movement after twin 1 comes out is cos of fear of infections. But of cos, if totally no movement, no sign of second wave of contractions, mother can make the choice not to touch twin 2. But it's rare.

My gynae also told me that with my situation, the babies must come out. Not advisable for natural anymore. If I insist, I have to sign a form.

With pregnancy and delivery, every case is different. We just have to follow the flow. Singleton pregnancy is already high risk in delivery where there's always a chance cervix won't open enough, labour too long and end up emergency csect. Let alone with twins where it is most important to ensure safety of both babies and the mother.

WOW ariadne.. You are amazing.. two sets of twins!! and you carried the first set to 37 weeks.. how did you do it?

Hi Nimiuhek,

I didn't do anything special. I guess keeping a positive mind and open to any possibility helps. I didn't think too much. From third trimester, I count every passing week as a blessings. I even travelled in last 2nd trimester to relax and did lots of climbing and walking into caves. Lol

My advice is just relax and enjoy it. Once babies comes, you will miss your me time and sleep. Lol

My doc prescribed me duphaston (3 x a day now till full term) so that to avoid any pre-term delivery.. anyone had the same experience too?

Hi rainingcows,

Yes i am on that too but twice a day. That is to keep the progesterone level up. Also on Submutamol (ventolin) to prevent contractions.

Ariadne, you stayed strong throughout. I couldn't imagine myself going through so much complication at this stage now in my 3rd trimester. The strength you had has inspired me. Thank you for taking your time sharing dear. Some of you may have known that I was searching for a fix doctor but now, hubby and I have decided to continue as subsidy patient. There are a few pointer that the last doctor told me and it was, not 100% your doctor will be on duty. Any doctor will assist me since I am trying on natural induction. Unless if I choose to scheduled it. So I pray hard that God will schedule a good doctor for me on that day. I am going with the flow, Haha! This all happens in NUH. I don't even know if my body is ready for natural delivery as this is my 1st pregnancy but I know my body is design to and mummy who gave birth to her 9 children always praying and giving me hope that I can do this. Especially being her first daughter to have twins was a new experience in the family. I keep myself occupied with reading to understand the most risky situation. I have been very careful with my body when my symptoms gave me a disaster start. Eat right by force because there is nothing my body will absord by eating unhealthy food - vomitting was bad enough already. I lifted my tummy each time I go toilet in case babies goes to low or at least giving them support by placing my hand beneath my tummy - my heart just moved to do this trick, Hehe. Eversince I start feeling them moving and kicking, I talked to my babies each time I feel them in breech position. Miracle that my left baby was feet down kicking my cervix (it doesn't hurt but literally feels her strong kicking when I quickly lift my tummy), I laughed and told her to turn. I lay on my back and told her "ok mummy sweetheart, now try to turn. Head down legs up sayang.." she then was not as active, no movement till evening. Suddenly I feel her tight movement and start kicking near my chest. Hehe. Moms-to-be, I then conclude that I wasn't crazy. Talking to your babies is beautiful. They listens to you. Rub our tummy everyday. Telling that everything will be alright. :') My sonographer encouraged me to talk to babies during my scans and seeing them responding to me was heart melting, loved. May all of us have a Blessing and blissful journey. Cherish every bit of our moment with our babies when they are still with us. And make us the best moms ever! Ameen! <3

Take care moms!

IMG-20131212-WA0000.jpg IMG-20131212-WA0001.jpg
Hi mommies here,
I am a mommy of a pair of boys, now going to 2yo.
Letting go my pre- loved Esprit Sun Speed Duo Double Stroller / Twin Pram / Tandem
We bought it for $369. Used only for morning park stroll with granny. Condition 8.5/10. Lightly used.
Letting go at $110. Self collect to be arranged.
Msg me if interested at 9145 0808.

Hi mummies, im 6 weeks pregnant and am feeling nausea throughout the day. Cannot put any food into my mouth and was feeling terrible. This is my 2nd pregnancy and my first bb was a singleton who is now 18 months old. Can anyone share with me how you overcome your ms? Im thinking of applying for one month of no pay leave to rest at home - but im worried because i heard for twins normally doc will order for bed rest when we are about 30 weeks.

Hi mummies, im 6 weeks pregnant and am feeling nausea throughout the day. Cannot put any food into my mouth and was feeling terrible. This is my 2nd pregnancy and my first bb was a singleton who is now 18 months old. Can anyone share with me how you overcome your ms? Im thinking of applying for one month of no pay leave to rest at home - but im worried because i heard for twins normally doc will order for bed rest when we are about 30 weeks.

Hi bb_2012, congratulations for your 2nd pregnancy :) taking unpaid leave is between you and your company or maybe your doctor could give you a week MC (bedrest). It really depends. The medicine that my doctor gave me doesn't work for me. I took a few days unpaid leave till I stopped working and my all day sickness decreases only when I reached my early 4mths. Yes it only decreases for me but it gets better by each day onwards. So I avoid spicy food, oily food, too much onion, chilli - all of this cause me heartburn so be very careful. Find that super uncomfortable. Do not ever skip breakfast. Have granola cereal and a banana will put your headspin on bay. Have a healthy snacks with you at all times. At least it did for me. I ate yogurt, oatmeal, nestum, fruits such as kiwi papaya pears since real food doesn't stay in my stomach. Drink plenty of water and if water taste awful to you, drink cold Apple juice, glucose or a hot cocoa drink (not Milo) Whatever you do, keep yourself hydrated - you don't want to end up in ward with drip bcos you dehydrated. As for me, at times I still vommitted them out but at least it's not as hurtful and mostly do stay in my tummy so I eat whatever I can moderately like MacDonald breakfast, pizzas, beef - hahah. Hope you get comfy real , take a day at a time so you won't be too stressful (not good for our babies) and enjoy this roller coaster ride. :)

Here is an update from my last visit. The discussion I had with my doctor which some of you have read in my earlier post, it was a discussion between my doctor through the birthplan I wrote. I always wanted a birthstool deliver but not permissible as Twin B needs to monitor after the 1st. So the closest is to keep my deliver bed upright in sitting position or I can go knees and hands down for gravity to assist babies down. As long as everything happens on the bed, my doctor said no problem for any positions. Birth without epidural, no episiotomy - prefer to tear naturally, no induction - apply natural induction techniques are possible. Delay on cord cutting for 2nd twin is possible but not for the 1st. I have added in about cesarean deliver for true emergency cases - only "gentle c section" to ahead with. Let me know if you would like to see my unmedicated natural delivery birthplan. I did input plan B too, in case pain relief is needed - those laughing Gas is my choice, Hahah! There are limits to everything so I got to work hard to progress when the day draw closer. Ok all, have an awesome day ahead yah! :)

Hi gals, just wanted to drop by and say hi!
I had given birth to twin boys late Oct this year at Week 36. Thruout the preganancy, I had been taking Utrogestan and Proluton jabs to relax the uterus as much as possible. The gynae also performed cervix checks every visit and at Week 27, she warned me of preterm labour as the cervix length was only 2.6cm then. I was given hospitalization leave to excuse from work as well. She encouraged us to go to KKH and register as a Class C patient in case I go into early labour as NICU charges are really expensive for private hospitals.
I was dilated 4cm during a gynae visit in Week 36 and was advised to go into emergency Csec to get the babies out. I was on GA as my tummy was too big for me to curl to take epidural. I am glad I made this choice as everything happened really quick and babies were out safe. Nothing beats seeing your babies safe in your arms.
All the best to all of you! Stay positive and happy and try to enjoy your pregnancy journey as much as possible!

Hi Bluebery! Thank you for sharing your pregnancy and labor journey with us. :) Hope your recovery went well. I am waiting patiently now for my babies arrival, so excited! Clock is ticking - another 2months plus to go. Loved.

Hi rainingcows,

Yes i am on that too but twice a day. That is to keep the progesterone level up. Also on Submutamol (ventolin) to prevent contractions.

Hi ariadne
From your experience of having had twins, do we need to get baby clothes of a smaller size or preemie clothes to tide them over for the initial month.
The NB clothes look so big and twins generally arrive earlier thus smaller - average 2.5 kg
Am having trouble finding clothes for babies that size.

Hi Bapple.

You are absolutely right. The normal NB clothes are too big for the twins. The only nb clothes they can wear when they first return home were from marks and Spenser. You can also get nb clothes from H&M. The bug is whole sales one are way too big. My twins can only wear those after a month.

You can try to stock up nb from Carter's and Gymboree too. Those are more fitting. Carter's infant clothes are small cutting so their bb suits twins sizes.

Hi Bapple.

You are absolutely right. The normal NB clothes are too big for the twins. The only nb clothes they can wear when they first return home were from marks and Spenser. You can also get nb clothes from H&M. The bug is whole sales one are way too big. My twins can only wear those after a month.

You can try to stock up nb from Carter's and Gymboree too. Those are more fitting. Carter's infant clothes are small cutting so their bb suits twins sizes.

Thanks ariadne, that is helpful. I will check out M&S.
Do you know Where can I buy Carter's infant clothes?

How about swaddling our babies? My sister advise me not to buy any newborn clothes since 0-3months, they will grow so fast. She even prefer to buy 6months old clothes for her 3months above baby.

As for me, I am blessed since sister handing over her baby's clothes. Especially the ones her baby hardly wear. As my other sister who now have 4 kids, she told me swaddling is still best for newborn.

How about swaddling our babies? My sister advise me not to buy any newborn clothes since 0-3months, they will grow so fast. She even prefer to buy 6months old clothes for her 3months above baby.

As for me, I am blessed since sister handing over her baby's clothes. Especially the ones her baby hardly wear. As my other sister who now have 4 kids, she told me swaddling is still best for newborn.

Thanks for advice. I guess I'm just concerned they may overheat when swaddled in non-a/c room. But will play by ear

I had given birth to twin boys late Oct this year at Week 36. Thruout the preganancy, I had been taking Utrogestan and Proluton jabs to relax the uterus as much as possible. The gynae also performed cervix checks every visit and at Week 27, she warned me of preterm labour as the cervix length was only 2.6cm then. I was given hospitalization leave to excuse from work as well. She encouraged us to go to KKH and register as a Class C patient in case I go into early labour as NICU charges are really expensive for private hospitals.
I was dilated 4cm during a gynae visit in Week 36 and was advised to go into emergency Csec to get the babies out. I was on GA as my tummy was too big for me to curl to take epidural. I am glad I made this choice as everything happened really quick and babies were out safe. Nothing beats seeing your babies safe in your arms.
All the best to all of you! Stay positive and happy and try to enjoy your pregnancy journey as much as possible!
congrats bluberry. How was your experience at KKH? at week 36, are the babies big enough to not have to stay in NICU?

Hi Bapple,

I got my Carter's clothes from on,one shopping and shipped from USA. You can get from osh gosh shop in Vivo and a shop in paragon too. But I am not sure if they sell newborn sizes.

I did swaddle my twins for about two months after they were born. That's also to prevent the startle effects the babies tend to have. Swaddling also prevent my twin 1 from serious injuries when she flew off the bed at 3 weeks old.

Hi Bapple,

I got my Carter's clothes from on,one shopping and shipped from USA. You can get from osh gosh shop in Vivo and a shop in paragon too. But I am not sure if they sell newborn sizes.

I did swaddle my twins for about two months after they were born. That's also to prevent the startle effects the babies tend to have. Swaddling also prevent my twin 1 from serious injuries when she flew off the bed at 3 weeks old.

Thanks for advice. So glad your twin 1 was ok!!

Hi Bapple,

Happy to help or provide any advice. ;-) my first set is now 15months old. So, am happy to share my experience with everyone. Now, we are still overwhelm by the news of our 2nd set. Lol

Just had a scan today, both twins same size and can see heart beat. So scary thinking of two sets of twins but yet happy. It's an amazing blessings.

hi all: have anyone experienced any lower abdominal pain at the right side during pregnancy? any likely cause of it? i dun have any bleeding.. but just felt uncomfortable at the lower abdominal area.. with some slight pain when i move around.

hi all: have anyone experienced any lower abdominal pain at the right side during pregnancy? any likely cause of it? i dun have any bleeding.. but just felt uncomfortable at the lower abdominal area.. with some slight pain when i move around.

Hi nimuhek, mine is on the lower left side. I assume it's the baby moving or something.. coz shortly after that it was ok the following day.

Hi blueberry, want to check with you... at KKH it would be a different gynae delivering your babies right? So in the end you were delivered by your usual gynae at the week 36 visit with her?

Hi nimuhek, mine is on the lower left side. I assume it's the baby moving or something.. coz shortly after that it was ok the following day.

Hi nimuhek.. this may explain the pain:

At the 18th week, morning sickness will hardly bother you, which will increase your appetite and provide you with energy you may lack at this stage. However, new symptoms may start now and you should be aware of them. Thus, you may experience sudden sharp pain in the belly, somewhere around the stomach area. To be precise, this pain is generally observed between the navel and the hip and is triggered by the stretching of ligaments supporting the growing uterus. This pain is not regular and usually goes away in a couple of minutes.

Full article here: http://dreamingabouttwins.com/18-week/

Hi blueberry, want to check with you... at KKH it would be a different gynae delivering your babies right? So in the end you were delivered by your usual gynae at the week 36 visit with her?

Hi,
If you register as a subsidised Class C patient, u cannot choose your doctor, meaning every time u go for checkup, it will be a different doctor, likewise you can't choose your gynae for delivery either.

Yup in the end, i stick to my gynae for delivery as i had confirmation from her that the likelihood of going NICU at Week 36 is very minimal.

True that, agreed with bluebery. Same goes to NUH. To be able to have your preferred gynae, you should register with Ward A or B1 as private patient.

Subsidies patients are in ward B2 and C.
My doctor said that I am able to switch from being a subsidy patient to private patient at my very last minute. Those are called upgrade. She said the difference is, the gynae I choose do not have the chance to get to know me better if that happens. It is also best to speak to your fixed gynae that he/she will be on duty when you are in labor. Otherwise, any doctor on duty will take over.

yeah it is growing uterus. Always remember to breathe. I had those rarely in the early stage but when it happened, it stone me. I rather not sit, I will stand up and walk around slowly or even do circular hip move.. It took a day to feel all back to normal. I do feel like there is air trap too so I self massage upwards gently and drink warm water. Prevent anything that can cause you feeling bloated.

Hi,
If you register as a subsidised Class C patient, u cannot choose your doctor, meaning every time u go for checkup, it will be a different doctor, likewise you can't choose your gynae for delivery either.

Yup in the end, i stick to my gynae for delivery as i had confirmation from her that the likelihood of going NICU at Week 36 is very minimal.
Hi bluebery, by when must we confirm that we want to be a class C patient for delivery or stick to the gynae? at week 36 , we can still decide? I am now seeing June tan at KKH.

Hi bluebery, by when must we confirm that we want to be a class C patient for delivery or stick to the gynae? at week 36 , we can still decide? I am now seeing June tan at KKH.

hi,
my situation is kinda different from yours. my gynae was in Mt E which is a private hospital. so i went to the polyclinic and get a referral letter to KKH and straightaway went in as a Class C patient at Week 27. i go for my gynae checkups at both KKH and Mt E and until Week 35, i stopped going to KKH and only went to my Mt E gynae.

for your situation, if u are already seeing a specific gynae at KKH, that is not subsidized already. i m not sure if u can downgrade yourself to a Class C patient. suggest u go to the financial consultant unit and seek their advice. from the data they provided me, it cost $28K (after medisave deduction) per baby to stay in NICU for a month for a Class A patient. whereas for a Class C patient, no need to fork out a single cent after medisave deduction. hence, worthwhile to explore having a 2nd plan :)

Hi Zucal, I think it's best you check with Dr. June Tan because there is a guideline to transfer from private to subsidy. I was a subsidy patient in KKH before I moved to NUH and subsidy patient needs to provide referral letter from polyclinic OR from Dr. June Tan herself. My best friend recently gave birth to her son and she registered at 36weeks on her own at KKH but she is singleton. She registered and made payment of deposit on the same day she admitted. As my sister case, she submitted her deposit on the day she registered. I was advised to register from 32weeks onwards in case twins have the tendency to pop earlier. Upon your registration, they will let you know if you need to deposit or not. Normally C ward (subsidy) zero deposit but at some cases of emergency, you will be ask for some deposit. As for me is around 200sgd (natural birth) for 2days stay.

Do also note that B2 and C wards do not allow our husband to stay beyond visiting hours. In fact, I believe we need those rest after giving birth to our precious.

Hope this helps.

Last edited:
thanks! i checked with the nurse at the registration counter. although i am seeing June tan which is considered private rates.. during delivery, i still can opt for C class- but that would means any doc on duty will deliver my baby and i will stay in a 6 bedder and babies will be having c class rates if they need to stay in NICU.

Hmm, which means my Plan B should be to check myself in at KKH as a Class C patient. If in an emergency (e.g. pre-term), I will just go to KKH and I can register then right? I assume there is no need to make a prior registration?

My Plan A will still be to deliver at TMC if everything goes smooth and well :)

i heard from my colleagues that if you go to KKH and they do not have any beds , they may reject you or send you to other structured hospitals. but right now, i think you can go to a poly clinic and get a referral letter and register yourself at KKH as a class c patient as plan B.

i heard from my colleagues that if you go to KKH and they do not have any beds , they may reject you or send you to other structured hospitals. but right now, i think you can go to a poly clinic and get a referral letter and register yourself at KKH as a class c patient as plan B.

I see - ok shall do that then. Thanks!

yup, you will not b given priority if u r not their patient.
furthermore, they do not have any records at their end if (touchwood) u really need to deliver there. so, wat i did was visit both KKH and Mt E for checkups during the critical weeks since i was diagnosed with short cervix length by my Mt E gynae. KKH subsidized rates are very affordable. the only thing is u need to spend time on weekdays to go down for the checkups (they have no weekend appointments)

Hi all mummies, i am 1st time in this forum! I was expecting MC twins was in my 12week plus was follow up at KKH

Hello everyone! I'm also MTB of fraternal twins boy/girl. Currently 21 weeks :)
Just wanna check with u all, did ur gynae gave u any med to prevent pre-term?

Back