Toddlers who fall sick often

ciheal

Any mummies with toddlers who falls sick every month? My gal who is 2 and a half falls sick every month since she was 3 months old!
How to prevent them from falling sick like flu, fever, diarrhoea, endless list! Its always one after another! Should I be very worried and seek expertise help? The PD says its common. Any advice? Thanks!

children below 5 have lower immunity. its common. you can help by making sure they take lots of vegetables and fruits (balanced diet with lots of vitamins). i will not recommend supplements unless doc prescribe. also avoid crowded places and ppl who are not feeling well. hope this helps.

hi, but she takes lots of vegetables and two servings of fruits each day and also she drinks lots of water each day and yet shes still like tat! sighhh... i really dunno if i am worrying too much..

Hello,

try scotts emulsion cod liver oil? How abt a teaspoon of apple juice from fresh apple, provided ur gal is not having toddler's diarrhea.....And some rice water if she is not constipated.
Proper hygiene is also impt, like cleaning her hands and feet after she went out to play or touch any things outside the house.

Hi cindy,

Does your gal attend childcare or playgroup? If she does, it is pretty normal for them to fall sick very often. My son, now coming to 3 1/2 yo, falls sick almost 1-1.5 months too.

There was once when he was 2 plus, he visit his PD 7 times in a month. I have tried many ways too. Vitamin C, fruits, veg, blah blah blah and nothing seems to help. I was told by the PD that if he continue with his childcare, nothing we do can help much.

After he turned 3, it is better. At least he recover faster. I still continue with his Scotts cod liver oil, GNC kids colostrum, GNC kid multi vitamin (alternate with cod liver oil). I also double boil lean pork with cordyceps once every wk. Well, I am not sure if these are starting to help him since he had been taking these for the past 1.5 years, or that he is better now coz' he has grown up and his immunity is better as compared to before.

Besides all the supplements which I hv been giving him, I also ensure that he takes good food, sleep early and have proper hygiene (this is hard coz' he likes to put things in his mouth still). So, I sometimes behave like a kiasu mum who wipe his hands or bring him to wash his hands after play or whenever he place his hands on floor.

I can understand your pain coz' my son is often sick after he turn 4 months.

Hi Cherrie, I did try cod liver oil but it seems like it doesnt work for her.. she still fall sick and i have to stop it.
Hi sirotan, actually my gal just started childcare. but she was like tat even before childcare. thanks for the advice... i also kiasu one hehehe.. my gal also like to put her fingers in her mouth hence i will clean all over with wipes... will try the cordyceps though... thanks! and hopefully when she turns 3, there will be lesser of such episodes!

hi cindy, what do you mean cod liver oil does not work for your girl? it is something that you will need to take for a while and slowly then your body will build up the resistance. since your girl can take it, my advice is to continue. i started my girl too late and now she refuse to take cod liver oil.

hi hwee, i'm not too sure.. cos everytime she takes for a few days, she starts getting sick again.. then i have to stop it.. then restart, then again... it goes on for a few months.. not sure if its the cod liver oil or just her.. hehee

hi cindy, think whether or not if she's not feeling well, guess have to take such things all the way. other mummies, correct me if i'm wrong.

oh... is it? i really dunno lei... i thought when sick, cannot give the cod liver oil cos no use.. hehehe.. ok maybe i will try again...

hi tan leng leng,

I purchase from GNC locally. But I cant rem how much they cost coz' I never pay attention to the price tags...
happy.gif

Hi cindy, my neighbour told me b4 tat her dd who did not attend ccc, falls sick very frequent too. Some more, she stays at home most of the time with the maid. I guess it is their immunity. Dun worry too much. Initially I worry alot for my ds too. So long, your dd is growing well, has a healthy weight, dun worry too much.

To be frank, I used to fall sick very often (once a month) last time since I am a baby. Maybe tat is why my ds has weaker immunity like me. When I was pregnant, I start taking Vitamins and in fact, I am stronger now. Except for migrane for some months... I am still having tat coz' of my hormonal changes before my menses.

I have been giving my kid organic fruits and vegetables. So far, she seldom fall sick.

Maybe sick twice a year. Touch wood!

Hi
When your kids (below 2 yrs) fall sick, do they reject food? My boy recently down with cough, sore throat and i think runny nose is coming up. He has been rejecting food for almost 4 days already
sad.gif
only survive on milk and some biscuits ...

I wonder how long this will last ... he is becoming a scare crow alraedy

Guess I am joining all of you now in this. My daughter is two now and started attending childcare 5 months ago. She is sick every two weeks and if it is fever, it usually persists for 5 days. Heart pain to see that and exhausting for the child as well as the caregivers. So I can understand how all of you feel here.

sigh... it's comforting to know i'm not alone. my son (who jus turn 2 last weekend) is sick EVERY OTHER MONTH. the longest stretch of 'perfect health' is 2 months and tat's all. all the other times he's unwell - running nose, block nose, feverish.

it's discouraging cos he's a breast fed bb and i was hoping he has got better health. but...well, i guess my own health is v weak hence tat's why...

he drinks cod liver oil every other days, home cooked food, goes out for morning/ evening sun, clean and disinfect my house every week and is v 'healthy' as in bubbly and active. but his nose is perpetually giving him problem.

checked with few pds they also say it's 'normal' and maybe the losing point for him is that he's got super sensitive nose heritated from parents so! bo bian, gotta live w it!
sad.gif

Gretel

I was inform by my mum tat Cod liver oil is not as good as Fish oil. I think u might wana try those omega oil supplement instead of Cod liver oil.

Can also try Vit C chewies.. helps in fighting common colds.

gretel
my 34 mths son was BF all the way till 14 mths, he only attended pre-N @ 26 mths for 3 hrs during wkdays. From 1 yr old onwards, he'll fall sick every mth, running nose/cough etc. it took at least 2 wks each time 4 him to recover and by then, another new cycle will start. v infuriating! i oso hv a niece (2 mths younger than my son) at home whom are both looked aft my by mum. My niece recovers faster than my son and at times will not kena when my son falls sick, so i guess its more to do wif the child's overall health.

it was v frustrating and i din know wat to do. sometimes i brought him to chinese physician instead of hvg to take western med all the time. he takes home-cooked food 90% of the time except for the 2 dinners every wkend where we let him take o/s food. i chg his bedsheets every wk too. and he oso takes aft us - sinus!!! hopefully he is outgrowing this phase soon.

then the recent mths we started the tods on multivits and things seemed to hv improved.
happy.gif

Hi i have read that vitamin D supplements improves the child immune system. I have been giving my son vitamin D supplement of 1200IU/per day. He is in childcare and hardly fall sick. In the cases where he has fever, i do not give in any kind of medication. I sponge him in chamomile tea, supplement him with olive leaf, elderberry supplements and vitamin C. His fever is well controlled and usually gone within 1-2 days. I didn't want to use medications like paracetamol and ibuprofen as over dosing and long term use damages the liver. And i have read that fever is the body's own respond in killing viruses in the body.

If he has a cough, i will give him raw organic honey and let him have his vitamic C supplement and also i will give him thyme extract in water.

If he has a tummy ache i will let him have a cup of organic peppermint tea with some raw honey.

If he has diarrhea, i will give him some yoghurt, banana and a good quality probiotics.

Last time, when he has a fever or diahhrea, usually I would rush to the clinic to see a doctor, i will dose him every 4-6 hr of paracetamol or ibuprofen, and dose him medications every now and then. Ever since i stopped giving him medication and treating his illness with natural remedies he recovered fast and hardly fall sick.

And most importantly, diet is very important in building up the immune system. A diet that is high in raw foods and sprouted grains will greatly aid the child to build his or her immune system.

at what temperature you usually feed paracetamol? noticed, if don't feed both running nose and fever medicine together, the mucus and temperature will keep getting worse, thus backflow and vomits due to choke of the nose mucus.

Hi mummies, i need some exchange of views... my girl just turned three and currently attends three hr pre N classes daily. Problem is she falls sick easily. Ever since she started school, she falls sick almost every month. And each time it takes a week to recover. It is always high fever, cough and runny nose. Sigh...doc said it is normal but im considering if i should let her stop school till and seek chinese medical help to "fine tune" her body immune system. Instead of going to school irregularly. Is this over reacting?

my gal has been falling sick every mth since last year jan 2011 till now even wif 2hrs class daily. I deduced it's due to her fingers keep touching lift buttons,play w toys at study ctr n then nose pick.as long as nose pick habit n lift button touching doesn't stop upper respiratory infection wil recur.does your kid has such habit too? I oso tired n afraid to keep giving her medicine monthly. Is it common for kid of tis age to nose pick?when wil they outgrow the habit?

tink u try to let the kids wear socks sleep everynite, it will help to prevent them sick, protect the coldness at nite...as for those bad habits, u just hav to try ask her wash hands frequently or u help her clean up everytime../

I gif my son G3 and Jungamals to build up his immunity after he start Nursery last year. Now his immunity is so much better nt like the begining of last year when he is sick at least once monthly.

PM me if u wan more details of the supplements.

Hi yixuanmum,

I have been giving my kids Childlife Colostrum when they started to attend fullday CC and when they turn 3.5yo, I switched them to Sambucol daily to continue build up their immunity.

So far so good.

Besides sambucol, can try manuka honey (less than UMF10) for kids.
Highly recommend TCM and can try child massage (xiao er tui na) for long term benefits.

I think you have not given some best vaccines as Hypotitus B etc and also some of then due to which your baby always falls sick . This is common thing if you don't follow this because child's below having low immunity system .
Baby products expert

Try GNC Childlife Pro-Biotics. Basically most Childlife products r good for immune system. All can be bought locally.

Manuka Honey. for my 4yo i give 15+. cause only 1 tiny teaspoon a day. if lower than 10+ then i guess u can make it in a drink and give.

When i feel he's coming on a cough or cold, i'll give Flumucil dissolvants. it is good for immune system though PDs prescribe them as mucous dissolving medicine.
That you can get OTC from any pharmacy. Sells in 20 sachets per pack.

Hi petrina,may i kn where did u get thr info tat fluimucil is good for immunity too? i know it's drink for pregnancy planning to aid as lubricant besides mucuos dissolving

Supplements are very expensive locally.
Try ordering online, from USA;
http://www.iherb.com/Search?kw=chidlife
http://www.iherb.com/Search?kw=Manuka+Honey

Effective today, use coupon code <font color="ff0000">NEV454</font> to have the following value, based on the order amount:
• $10.00 off for any order of $40.00 or more -- greater savings for them, better earnings for you!
• $5.00 off for any order less than $40.00 -- no minimum!
Offer will be ongoing until further notice.
Please note: These coupon offers are exclusively for customers who have never ordered from iHerb.

<font color="ff0000">International Airmail Free Shipping</font>
Orders up to $80.00, and 4 pounds (1814 grams)
Takes 1-4 weeks, 10 days to Europe and Pacific
Very Reliable, But No Tracking.
Free for orders over $60.00! Promotion ends March 31st.

>>> Let me know if you need help with placing order,
Leng Leng
happy.gif

Hi,

Just to share that recently I was introduced to this product and not only for children, adult also can consume to boost your immune system. My gals like the drink n we everyday drinks.

The benefit is s follows:

• Boosts the oxygenation of your blood.
• Eases inflammation and soothes arthritis pain.
• Protects the body from oxidative stress.
• Prevents kidney stones and protects the body from oxalates in coffee and tea.
• Alkalizes the body, helping to balance overly acidic dietary habits.
• Cures ulcers, IBS, Crohn’s disease and other digestive disorders.
• Nourishes the body with minerals, vitamins, enzymes and glyconutrients.
• Accelerates healing from physical burns and radiation burns.
• Halts colon cancer, heals the intestines and lubricates the digestive tract.
• Ends constipation.
• Stabilizes blood sugar and reduces triglycerides in diabetics.
• Prevents and treats Candida infections.
• Protects the kidneys from disease.
• Functions as nature’s own “sports drink” for electrolyte balance, making common sports drinks obsolete.
• Boosts cardiovascular performance and physical endurance.
• Speeds recovery from injury or physical exertion.
• Hydrates the skin, accelerates skin repair

Kindly pm me or email me at [email protected] for more details.

Hi all mummies,

Please consider bringing your child to Tui Na (Chinese massage). My son has had cough, flu and fever at 4m and 7m.
He started Tui Na at 8m, once weekly. Now he just turned one and has not been down with these common ailments since 8m.

At the clinic, I do hear mothers' testimonies and their children have been going regularly.

Well, this is a natural way to improve blood circulation and strengthen immunity. You may even be able to do without those supplements.
All the best.

Actually I do believe in tui na but just didn't like my girls being touched by men.... Just when I'm teaching them not to let any guys touch them. I had been bringing them to this "western" massage and the ladies are all certified. Quite good actually and the place is very cosy. I can sit there n have tea while waiting for them. I had a very bad neck pain for weeks and the therapist massaged me and it was quite good. At least I didn't get the post massage pain like the ones that I used to get, so now I also go in for massage when my girls are there. They called it the 'bonding' time. Ha ha. Ya, forgot to mention. It is My Kid's Spa at Turf City. www.mykidsspa.com

Back