Things to do when new maid arrived

~cold

Hihi..This is the first time I am getting a maid. What are the things that I should do when she first reach our house? And also what are the things we need to buy for her? Do we need to buy clothes for her too?

Example: checking her things, taking all her clothes to laundry to prevent any bed bugs...

Hi Cold,

I've just had my Mmr maid beginning December 2012. We checked her bag and throw away clothes which we can see very dirty, gave her my sis 2nd hand branded clothes.. for her hair I told the agent we'll cut it if we feel untidy. Once the maid arrives your house, you could let her settle down first. Leave her to do unpacking and see if she comes out and do her chores. If she does, you can give her a break for that day and just observe what she does to your house on the first day. After observing, have in mind what you want to teach but leave it till tomorrow.

2nd day then you start teaching her duty by duty, but not overloading as you may scare her away... You may also tell her what time should be her waking up daily but leave the sleeping time open as sometimes it is initiative on the maid part to know if she should be resting or sleeping if things are still undone in the house. Some recommend having a timetable but I personally feels that doing housework is a self initiative and responsible act which should not be dictated by timetable.

So far my maid is ok, but really requires alot alot alot of patience and teaching and repetitive enforcement of duties from my side cause afterall, in Myanmar their household appliances and housework chores are different from us! As with our employment, you may put her on 3-month probation.

However, I'm in a dilema now... If I keep her it will be more for weekday nights and weekends (sat and sun) that she can assist me to look after my 2 sons (22 months and 2 months). I am not able to rely on my in laws nor own parents.

I wonder if I should :-
@@ continue with her OR
@@ let her go back to agent

I keep asking myself if I am able to look after my 2 boys alone weekday nights and 2 weekends?? This is a serious issue that I must consider cause I am all alone in the house with my 2 boys every night and every weekends.

By the way, I am a working mum from Monday to Friday. My 2 children goes to childcare and infant care respectively during the week, that's why I'm consider if I should save up on the maid salary and levy if I only need her at night and weekends.

Any mothers are in same predicament as me?

Cold,

For us we purchase the toiletries for my maid and tell her to use those for herself. We even bought deodorant for her bo. I let her call back myanmar once a month at our expense. As for her salary the agent will give you a file where you let her sign in receipt of the $$. As employer, you should sit down and ask your maid how she wants to manage her $$. Employer keep and give her back end of contract or maid keep but if lost it's her business.

Whatever monies receive by her, CNY ang pao (btw, she has $168 for all her ang paos collected this year!! more than me and hubby *haiz* hahahaha) or extra $ here and there must be recorded in file and made her sign so end of contract when you check her wallet the $$ must tally else extra you take back. If employer keeps $ for maid, same thing both must sign that end of contract $$ to be returned to maid. Please ask her if she needs to remit $ back to her country. You may also check if she requires to make phone calls back.

I do not give her handphone nor wooden door house key. She only has the gate key.

Hi pyopyo73,

Okay..thanks for your advise. Think you are quite lucky to have a maid who doesn't request for hp. The one which I am getting request for hp so I told her only can use at night and I will keep her hp during daytime.

I am also having the same dilemma as you. My 18mths old boy will be gg childcare during the day. I am getting this maid cause I can't decide if I should leave my newborn baby with the infant care after I start work or getting a maid to take care. Cause honest speaking, taking care of 2 during the weekends might be a bit tough for me n my hubby as both of our parents are not available to help out.

So end up we decided to get a maid to look after my newborn during weekdays as my mum will be avail to monitor the maid.

Mayb you can consider part time babysitter? But I am not so sure about their salary...seems expensive.

Cold,

You are slightly better than me, my 'stay-with-me' parents work on weekdays so I cannot leave my newborn with maid alone, thus he goes childcare at 2 months of age.

*haiz* during weekends it's my mum time of mahjong and outing with friends... my dad, forget it. He works everyday and anyway he doesn't know how to take care of babies or children. He's only a clown with them.

My in laws definitely don even need to talk about them. Thus you see I'm alone during weekend as my hubby also works.

I need my maid for every night and weekends, thus still keeping her until I can find a solution. Forum mummies, anyone has good suggestion ??

Back