Premature babies support group

My husband's auntie got it for us. If I'm not wrong, her company deals with electronic appliances. But kkh lactation consultant said can get from carrefour. Maybe giant those kind might have too..

Blossom - might not be economical to rent... ESP if u intend to bf for longer period.

Courts , carrefour , gain city have chest freezer.
I bought mine aerogaz brand one at ard 250 after disc.
I seen technogas one at 299 in courts b4. There r a few types , the ice cream box type with no shelves n open fr top (store more but more troublesome) n the front open type with shelves to put milk (convenient but lesser storage)

The last time I went courts megastore at tamp ( the ons near
ikea) they hv a few models on display so can compare... There's kadeka , technogas etc...

Alternatively, u can also try posting under forum WTB section
There r mummies selling their chest freezers too

Hi all,
Signing in after a long time. I see a lot of new names! Just for background, my bb was born at 31+6 days at KK because of IUGR+preeclampsia. Stayed in NICU/SCN for 2 months and is now CA 10 months. Mostly doing ok but appetite and weight gain is very poor. She's only 6.5 kg at the moment.

Blossom,
I bought my freezer at Carrefour, brand is Farfalla and it's about my hip height. It served me very well when baby was in NICU and it's still serving me! Definitely a good investment.

Hi Jaggiebaby,

So you mean, if you have complication even though it is an emergency case, the doctor will still allow us to downgrade to grade C to get the subsidized rate? If that is the case I'd really like to go for TPS first. I asked the nurse they just told me, if you see a fix gynae then you will be unsubsidised throughout (from prenatal check up to delivery).

I was transferred to SGH from Mt A last time, and was not easy to get the place. But still very confused with the system here.

Hi, thanks for all the advice on freezers. Just went to recce this weekend, saw the Farfalla, Kadeka and Technogas ones. 2nd hand from WTB forum gd idea tho, cos I don't know what to do with it after that.

Aixin,
I was seeing fixed gynae at KKH and hospitalised 4 times during pregnancy. Each time, I got to choose which class of ward I wanted, so you can see pte gynae and still choose class C if hospitalised. Can double check with receptionist (they wear pink uniform) next time you go. They are more familiar with these admin matters than nurse.

For me, I have stayed in C, B2, B2+ and B1 ward. I was told that the difference is if you stay in subsidized class, your gynae may not come to see you in the ward. But if you stay in pte class, your gynae will. In my case, it didn't make a difference because my gynae is super famous/ high flyer/ busy/ and never came to the ward to see me anyway, even when I was staying in the B1 ward. I had to be wheeled downstairs to his clinic instead.

However, during my last hospital stay (when I delivered), I was "gynae-less" as my gynae had already quit KKH by then. Plus it was an emergency situation, not normal delivery. So it is better for you to check with the KK staff about normal delivery vs emergency/ complications kind of delivery.

Hi Blosssom,

Thanks for your reply. May I know who was you Gynae last time? I'm almost 18 weeks, will it be a bit late to change to see a fix gynae?

The written info from KK is if there is complications or emergency c-section, will be handled by senior doctor. If normal birth could be by midwife or any doctors on duty. And the presence of medical students.

So in the end who delivered for you last time? Your own Gynae or any doctors?

Aixin,

My own gynae had left KK by then, so the doctor on duty in the labour ward delivered for me. She was a consultant. You can PM me if you'd like more details.

Aixin, I just want to let u know that you can request not to have medical students in the room and you expect a consultant or registrar. Even tho' we are C class, that does not mean we have to obligedwith their standard procedure. I refused further VE after different gynaes (I suppose they are MO) wanted to do a VE. Becos I had PPROM, I am not supposed to have any VE lest there are infections. My gynae from TMC told me that I should not allow any more VE (she used to be from KKH). The only reason why they want to do a VE is because of procedure. And I feel (perhaps I am biased) that some of the doctors think we are uneducated or don't know anything as we are in C class. So insist on your rights. Keep a record of the procedures done on u and ur baby. If you are not comfortable, ask why the certain procedures are being done. For instance, my baby was sent for a brain scan two days before he was discharged. Just a day before he was discharged, the nurse told me that they are sending him for another brain scan. I asked why. Is it because the 1st result scan was not favourable? She replied she doesn't know but was nice enough to check with the doc. Ended up, the doctor made a mistake! Forgotten that she has already sent my boy for brain scan. I was like???? hello?

For your info ... Saw this news today

Birth defects: Views sought on MediShield coverage
Govt proposal will help affected families with hospital bills, but may push up premiums for all

By Salma Khalik
Singaporeans are to be asked to decide whether babies with serious birth defects should be covered by the national health insurance scheme.
About two infants a day are born with conditions such as heart problems or damaged nervous systems.
Health Minister Gan Kim Yong suggested last week that babies with congenital illnesses should be included under MediShield. But he warned that this could push up premiums for everyone.
The issue is now due to be put up for public consultation.

haha, just on a lighter note -- my mum has recently taken to the idea of feeding me birds nest in the hope that it will transmit through the breast milk and help the babies with their lung development.

There are paedetric TCM doctors around right? If anyone knows of any to recc, do share.

Aixin
Juz like wat blossom say, I got to choose class when warded.. When I warded during week 26, we choose b1 not knowing much, then the estimated came up to a 6-digit amount.. But luckily he was not borned.. During labour, coz I choose class c, my gynae not able to deliver for me so will b any doc on duty to deliver for me

Blossom
My 2 previous gynae left kkh too.. Haiz.. But coz of my complication, I dare not follow them to pte hospital..

Hi lilac and Jagiebaby,

Thank you so much for your feedback.

I never know that we can request to have no medical students when we are in the C class. And VE is for vaginal examination? I also gave birth prematuredly due to PROM. My private gynae did one check on me for my 4 days stay in Mt A. When I transfer to SGH, the gynae there think it is better not to hold baby in to reduce risk of infection, so i gave birth and not too many test done on me.

How old are your kids now? My gal was borned in 2009. When i think back of what happened now, my brain is blank.

Aixin

i din know we can request no medical students too.. my boy was borned in 2009 too, in June.. which month is ur gal? eh.. i din trace back.. ur gal borned @ how many weeks?

hi Aixin and Jagiebaby, my boy was born in 2009 too =) He was born in the month of June. Yes, you can request not to have medical students. Just insist on it nicely but firmly. Actually I was very stressed out staying at the hosptial. The stay was not restful and there were many checks. I couldn't really sleep well. There was once I broke down and cried while in the labor ward (they sent me to labor ward cos' CTG showed contractions - procedure lor... so send me there). I asked why they kept sending me to the labor ward etc. Somehow through a connection from TMC (Dr. Adrian Tan wrote a referral to Dr. Irene Chua who was then based in KKH), Dr. Irene Chua was kinda my doctor i/c even tho' I was in class C and not allowed to chose a gynae. Also by God's grace too. She came down very early the following morning and saw my CTG readings and asked how I feel. She went 'aiya, a bit of spike in readings only mah....' and then wrote a cover letter on my file stating to consult her if they want to send me to labor ward again. I am not out to make things difficult for the MOs or medical students or resident doctors.. All I am asking is to treat me as a person (esp since I am high risk for premature delivery) and not based on the readings/case studies that I can be.

Hi lilac and Jagiebaby,

My gal borned in Oct 2009, a 30weeker. Are your kids in childcare already? Im going to register my gal for the next year N1 class.

Lilac it is lucky for you to have both very good doctor to be your doctor in charge. My sis in law was delivered by dr Irene Chua also, she was pregnant at 42yo then.

If I'm going to see any fix Gynae, do you guys have any suggestion? Wonder should I just walk in to see one or do I need to inform KK of the switch from seeing any gynaes in clinic C to fix Gynae.

How did you guys last so long? I mean for the hospital stay. This is babies' 9th week in NICU, and I know we are still no where near the end.... Soemtimes they seem to be making no progress at all. And then one day, pumping is ok and the next you have issues and wonder if you need to get some help for it. Sorry, just venting.... it is one of those days.

Blossom - no special method. Just take one day at a time. Everyday is a victory for the little ones. Keep pumping - it helps... For me to be doing something for the baby. Remember that every interaction with your baby helps ... Every song you sing, every encouragement ...I believe your baby can feel it. Jia you, hang in there... I know it's tough .

Lilac
My boy was in 2009 june too.. Mayb we chanced each other b4 in nicu/nsdc/scn..
My then gynae did visit me for first 2 days even tho i downgraded to class c.. She instructed the midwife/nurse wat to do for me.. But after was duty doc took over..

Aixin
My boy was borned @ 31 weeks. He is in cc since march 2011.. By right for 2009 kids should b in N1 liao right? Or ur cc go by month? My boy in N1 this year leh..

Blossom
I know its not easy.. Jiayou k.. I was milkless for almost first 2weeks.. But i din give up.. With the help from lactation too..

Blossom,

I was just about to vent also. My girl doesn't seem to be growing much
sad.gif
Nurse said that probably it's cos she's very active and keeps moving. The doctor told me yesterday that she still has a long way to go. Really need a lot of stamina to last this period man. The only good thing is that everything is stable with no major problems. That should be comforting enough but I really don't know how long more. At this rate, I doubt she can come out by her initial EDD.

Hi Blossom and sunkissed,

Hang on there. It is now a good time to make preparation for bb to come home. Do whatever you think is for the baby will let you feel better. Like Ning said, pumping milk is one of the best and only thing that mother can do, the rest other can help you ;)

Jagiebaby,
I'm a bit confused, i thought this year our kids should be in playgroup? Maybe some cc count by months. I still worry next year whether my gal is ready to go to nursery, she is still so active to walk around, how to let her sit down and stay in the classroom for 3 hours.?

hi aixin, my boy is in pre-nursery now. Don't worry about our kids being active. The teachers are trained to keep an eye on them. My boy enjoys school alot. He will come back and tell me all that he has learned in school. Very chatty, this boy.

sunkissed, I empathized with you. My boy was in hopsital for 78 days. I really don't know how we managed to survive. There are times when the day is long.... especially when they are in there just to gain weight. Press on.

Jagiebaby, maybe we really bumped into each other =) How's your boy now? Is he eating well and putting on weight? Mine is still as skinny as a monkey. Sigh....

Auxin
Like wat lilac say dun have to worry them being active.. My boy b4 cc he also can't sit still, enjoys his school too.. But I realize he can behave in cc but a monster again when at home.. My boy cc go by year so even if born in dec 2009 also in N1 liao... Last year he was in toddler/playgroup.. He is in full day.. I sent to to cc @ 8.30am and bring him back @ 5pm..

Lilac
Ur boy born at how many weeks? My boy a 31 weeker, in hospital for 44days.. Is he still seeing dietitian? My boy's growth actually quite good juz that he very lazy to chew his food and he got a speech delay.. Till now still can't really speak a proper sentence.. He is abt 100cm and abt 17kg.. Is ur boy eating well?

jagiebaby, wah! your boy very good weight! Mine was a 28 weeker baby and in hospital for 78days. He's not seeing dietician anymore. He has poor post natal growth apparently. He is only about 10kg wor. So tiny, sigh.... Dr Argarwal prescribed erm... lysine? to help with his appetite. I guess maybe he's like me? eat alot but cannot put on weight. Oh well, as long as he is healthy, I guess its ok.

Liliac
Guess my boy like my hb coz he is tall and big size.. Ya, tink by the age of 2 they stop seeing dietician le.. I used to try lysine with my boy but I found no use to him leh.. Will pediasure help? I heard people saying drink more milk can put on more weight dunno true anot..

Hi Jagiebaby,
Your boy is growing so well 17 kg!
My gal is only 92cm and 12 kg. considered average, but most people commented she is skinny.
For KKH premie actually all need to see dietician? I gave birth in SGH, doctor nvr ask to see dietician even though last time my gal even lighter. At least now she is back to 50 percentile.
The speech delay is rather common in boys, my neighbour kid 2yo also got delay though full term baby.
My gal went through the IQ test in Kkh few months back, luckily everything ok. Except for English languange delay, since we nvr speak English with her at home so we are not really worrying about that. At least she speaks in Mandarin clearly. But the whole test is really tiring 2 hrs! My gal just fell asleep after the test on her stroller.

Hello,

Thanks mummies for your support
happy.gif
Have to hang in there for the sake of my baby.

Just went down to see doctor yesterday. Dr Argawal updated me on baby's condition. My baby has been diagnosed with chronic lung disease. Anyone here whose babies were diagnosed with it too? Would like to know the long-term impact on baby.

She's also growing rather slowly. Dietician suggested substituting her feeds with half formula milk. But I'm afraid that will affect her intestines since she's so small.

Aixin
my boy dun look chubby too.... my boy got a gal classmate, 3 year old, height abt 89cm but weight 13+kg and she dun look chubby so think coz ur gal is tall too..
hmm.. not too sure leh.. he was discharged with appts for so many kinds of follow-up so we juz follow.. actually wat they do during the IQ test? my boy went for the autism check coz during his routine check, he did not have eye contact with the pd and he has a speech delay, but lucky everything is fine..

hi all. My darlings are two years (actual) today! Can't believe that it's been so long. Stats - my boy is 84cm/11.5kg. So still quite small and short.. My girl is approx 89 cm/13.2kg.

Blossom and sunkissed, the nicu/scn days are hard and long. My thoughts are with your babies. My only advice is to relinquish the idea that you need to control the situation.. it's out of your hands and up to the medical staff and your baby. Try to interact/bond with your child and take care of yourself.

Sunkissed
The decision of whether to supplement with formula/fortifier is a personal one.. The drs will always recommend to supplement because growth is very important and will help bb to be discharged earlier, and vital for development down the line. Eg. my boy had 0 growth for 1 month..and was small for a long time after that..and still short today. Express your concerns (if any) about nutrition to the drs, ask for explanations etc. Hopefully that will help in your decision.

A lot of preemies develop chronic lung disease. There's a huge range of severity. My girl technically has CLD because she was still on CPAP at 35 wk gestation. But she was always on 21% O2 and has no problems then or now. She may have mild asthma in the future though.

My boy has very bad CLD, came home on cannula, on O2 for 19 months total. He receives 4x inhaler puffs daily. Pulmonologist says likely to develop asthma symptoms as adult, reduced lung capacity etc.
Sorry I wrote a whole long story..

Bottomline - There's a range of CLD. Most children outgrow it. Sounds like your child isn't severely affected though.

Sunkissed,
Is your bb on total ebm now? My gal was partially on TPN for a few weeks after birth cos of her indigestion. And the ebm was also added with MCT oil. It is to help her put on weight.
If you decided to let your gal have half formula, you must also continue to pump as many times as usual, if not the milk supply will drop.

Jagiebaby,
IQ test is optional, but PDs will recommend that once the kid is 2 yo CA. Just to check for any development delay. But I find this test a bit advantage for English speaking family. For mandarin speaking family like us, some of the test cannot proceed. But consider lucky that the tester that day was able to communicate with my gal in Chinese. If not she might have fail it or I'll be dead tired to be a translator.

Jagiebaby, actually it is not really an IQ test. It is more of assessing if our child has any developmental delay due to them being premature. It is to test their cognitive, problem-solving and motor-skills. Like what Aixin mentioned, it is conducted in English and those who are non-English speaking will be at a disadvantage.

Hello Aixin,

Yup my baby is on total EBM now. MCT oil also given to her in addition to something else. Forgot what it is. But she's growing sooooo slowly. Weight gained in the past few days like nearly nothing.

At least now she's sleeping every time I visit her. Previously always moving. Now less movement also which is good I suppose.

My freezer does not have enough space actually. Have been bringing milk to hospital quite often. But she does not consume as much. Will kk nurses tell you to stop bringing cos no space??

onefish,

My first exposure to CLD was when my husband bumped into his friend at KK. That friend's son has quite severe CLD and his lungs are not working I think. So I was quite scared when I heard my baby has CLD. She's now on 22-23% oxygen. Previously was quite high cos her oxygen saturation level was not stable. Now it's a lot better so they have reduced the intake. Hopefully it can go down to 21% soon.

I was right, the nurse said no more space in the hospital freezer. Haha.

Anyone here needs EBM for their babies? If no premmies here need, I will open it to the other mothers in the forum.

And good news, my baby is now on 21% oxygen
happy.gif
but just started half formula milk feeding. so she needs even less milk from me now.

Sunkissed - u r blessed with gd milk supply. Ever consider getting additional chest freezer? Though your baby may not be taking much, might be prudent to store these up. The milk intake might rise

Onefish - happy to hear your uPdates! AA two years ! A milestone... U can stop using the CA after that right.
My family is halfway there , baby turning AA 12 mths! 8kg, 71cm. Time flies... Journey can be tiring/difficult at times, but when u look back, u see how much the baby achieved...

Hi sunkissed,

Agreed with Ning, try your best to store up those milk. Get a chest freezer will really encourage you to continue pumping the milk.

You need to continue pumping though bb intake is lower, just to maintain the supply for when bb can be switched back to total breastfeeding.

oh yes, forgot to congratulate onefish. CONGRATS on reaching the milestone
happy.gif

i already have a deep freezer at home and it's full. now i'm occupying the house freezer which i don't really want to do cos got a lot of other stuff. don't think there's space to get another one =/ hospital still has a lot of the "old" milk since my baby can only consume about 1 bottle/packet a day and i pump about 8 packets.

i've been pumping, don't worry
happy.gif
the problem is the storage space so i'm thinking of getting rid of the oldest milk first.

Hi sunkissed, is your oldest milk is the first month milk? I've read that breastmilk produced in the first month, esp preemie milk, is quite different. Much higher levels of antibodies and other good stuff. If only I had known earlier, I would have split my milk more carefully and not let any of it go to waste at all! Even better, I would have delivered it fresh instead of frozen. So if you want to discard or give away milk, suggest discard milk produced after the first month. Of course I wouldn't know how frozen first month milk compares to fresh EBM, which is what kk is encouraging now. Something you may like to consider.

oh no really ah.. i've passed most of the first month milk to nicu alr. left maybe about a week's supply of the first month. then now maybe i'll keep it. oh man dilemma. brought up the storage issue with the nicu nurse and she said she will speak to lactation nurse to see what suggestions she'll give.

if possible i'd have delivered it fresh too!

my baby seems to be unable to tolerate formula milk so she's back on total ebm again.

oh yes congrats ning on baby reaching 12 months too! missed out that part previously.

blossom, hope your twins are growing well
happy.gif

They've stopped me from bringing milk down too. But I hv the chest freezer at home now. Twins are taking about 550ml combined. I bring around that much or slightly less of fresh EBM everyday, and top up the frozen stock with a few bottles every 3-4 days. They are around 1.5 kg now, so their milk consumption increases faster.

Did you manage to resolve the issue with your fever etc? It'snot all smooth sailing for me on the pumping front either :< wonder if things get less 'lumpy' over time....

Haha, wish I could rent a freezer for a month or so. I'm hoping baby will start consuming more next month.

Hmmm, I had fever twice in 2 days had chills and body aches as well. I didn't see any lactation nurse in the end cos I always visit my baby at night when they're not around. Do they charge for consultation btw??

What I do is to empty my breasts until they feel like soft and lump-free. But sometimes this means pumping for nearly half and hour on each side = 1 hour in total!! I regret not buying a double electric pump
sad.gif
thought a single one would have been sufficient since I was using a single one in hospital.

There's this breast massage that I do every time in the shower. Think it helps cos after the massage, the flow is a lot better like don't have the "stuck" feeling.

http://www.breastfeeding-problems.com/breast-massage.html

I suspect what I experienced previously was a blocked duct that had been there for some time. Cos when I massaged, it was VERY VERY painful
sad.gif
now no such problems but sometimes will be a bit stuck. So halfway during pumping, if I feel that the milk is not coming out properly, I will stop and hand express a bit while massaging at the same time. Then continue pumping and the flow is better.

Seems to help
happy.gif

Wow you visit your twins daily! I go like about every 2 days? Oh no I feel like a bad mummy
sad.gif

Are your twins drinking from bottle already or still tube feeding? Hmm, next time I will try providing fresh BM for my baby. Must check with the nurse what time in the day they will prepare her feeds.

I don't think they charge for lactation consultant.

Actually I don't go everyday. Too tiring. My parents help to bring milk down too. Husband on weekends. So the task is divided up. You can send fresh milk any time, no need to coincide with time they prepare feeds.

On ur storage problem, can borrow fridge space from friends? Newlyweds usually have rather empty fridges, I find.

Cos i checked with the nurse yday. They will only use fresh milk if the feeds have not been prepared. If not, it'll go straight into the freezer.

I'm the first and only one to be married among my friends so that's out too.

Are you only using glass bottles to store? You bought new caps or just re-used the metal caps?

Back