Premature babies support group

kkf, last time i also stay in KKH 6-bedder for 8 days and on ventolin. I felt so miserable and wish doctor to take out my baby also...because i can't take the effect of ventolin.

Also, i can't sleep well in 6-bedder, so noisy and warm....

but baby still come out at 31 week. sign.

kkf, good report card from baby violet again uh? i mean, she is being good gal in the tummy! how is she like as compared to dash? more squirmy, or like to do more karate chops?! i am so excited for you, can i be very bu yao lian and ask that you invite me to ur place when violet born?! i will go with powergal since we 2 stay nearby.

gg11,
i bought the PIS advanced. honestly all tubes will get some condensation (the rest not using medela can correct me?) but i have never had milk enter the tubes. i guess that happens when you use it incorrectly.

i bought mine at the first years, retailing only 500++ (sorry cant remember exactly) with extended warranty - total 15 months. this is really the cheapest that i checked. it worked very well and din require any repairs. i guess it is safer to buy locally with warranty. you can call them to check.

Hi xbliss
Where is the first years? When did you buy it?

Hi Fushigi
When did you deliver at 31 weeks and how is your baby now?

didi
hehe D&D so cute! yeah hope they will be close, not all siblings r. somethng for us to work at to try cultivate the sibling bond ;)

gg11, for you 36 weeks not a problem, but for me who had twice premature labor, gynae not so optimisstic...haha. But yah, i will reward myself if I pass 32 or 34 weeks too!

xbliss, sure welcome, if violet a good girl, will throw a full month party!

fushigi, your water bag burst or you had contractions?

gg11, I spend a lot on bulk purchase, n overseas spree liao. but i bought things mostly for my 3 year old son, cause i already have most of the things needed for baby, so nothing much to buy...

But did get a few nice clothings for her.

dunno why, somehow, if i haven't have my little gal with me, i just dun feel safe. you noe in hospital, the nurses will check for baby's heartbeat sooooo frequently, until I tot is it that you experience contractions will cause baby in danger?? now make me a bit worry.

*wave at kkf*
happy.gif

this is the jacket

http://tw.f4.page.bid.yahoo.com/tw/auction/d35911093?u=chu837

Total (plus shipping etc) S$10 :p. but don't know must wait how long haha. i order Size 11 for 5-6 yrs old of 105-112cm. i am super duper KS haha

hi kkf,

Glad that u have come home. We so worried abt u. continue to jia you.

My boy's head alot of dandruff due to dry skin.everyday comb, apply olive oil also no use. his body also alot of rashes.....haiz. any mummy can help? now he's using Cetaphil to bath, but still the same situation.

hi kkf
don't worry too much. am sure if gynae can discharge you, you must be ok. i do notice from the ctg chart and the nurses' reactions - they are worried if the baby's heartbeat dip at the same time of the contractions. it happened to me quite a number of times though I don't know what it implies.

don't worry so much about it...you do feel violet's movements right? i think if she moves, she should be fine.

how often do you have to go back for check up? weekly?

jane, the jacket so cute. $10 only? good leh, i go take a look.

xiaowanzi, last time my boy has dandruff too, but it will disappear i think? i use olive oil to clean.

Precious one, yah, in laws place, though not my own home, but somehow compare to hospital, it is much better. My in laws very good to me too.

gg11, i am going kkh for weekly checkup, and mount E twice weekly. Now I m considered subsidised patient at kkh so they assigned a gynae that dun think is senior one (kkh). So I intend to also see back my own gynae at mount E, cause dun feel safe with the kkh gynae. I want to change to a senior one, but think 30 weeks onwards hard to change gynae.

xiaowanzi,
Think it is not dandruff ? maybe 'cradle caps' ? my younger boy has that too when he was about 3mths (iirc), we consulted pd during one of the routine check-up and she says it will go away, it does after a while, I didn't apply thing particular for that
happy.gif

kkf
i can understand your worries. afterall, most of us here delivered way before wk 30. but, every mummy is a mummy after all, we want the best for our kids. so that's y all of us here strive for full term, whether first kid or last kid!! jia you jia you! i just discussed abt having maid today with hubby and he disapproved. i told him like that i wont be having second child. there's no way i can be pregnant in peace cos he simply cannot manage bryan on his own. i leave them for 5 min bryan will suffer a fall or end up crying madly cos daddy dun understand what he wants. hai..

xiaowanzi,
wat u mean by rash? important thing is wat doc say.. some babies naturally have small pimple like dots on their bodies that may resemble rash for the first few months that will go away on their own. as for the "dandruff", it is commonly known as "cradle cap". i believe that is wat your boy is experiencing now? honestly you dun need to "treat" it. for my boy, i din even use olive oil. old people say dun even need to clean cos it will drop on their own, but when i bathe him, i will swipe his terry towel over them gently and they will all flake off into the bath tub! they din regrow after that!

Re: shopping
i had a fun time shopping at mothercare for bryan and his cousin who will be born in apr 09. bought so much tat i got free membership. some items after 50% are very worth it!

now orchard a lot of sale.. got gucci sale somemore.. very gian...maybe shall use bonus to treat myself.. :p hubby say i should treat myself to marie france first.. so mean.

gg11
this website http://www.firstfewyears.com.sg/warehouse/list.htm?pid=15

Hi kkf & Precious_one
I been wanting to get a jacket for siang (as he has outgrown most of his jacket). Oh yes this cost me S$10 haha and i only order this haha. noramlly i prefer to get clothings off the rack :p

kkf
hmm if i were you, i would seek both side consultation too
happy.gif
violet jia you ah

kkf, gg11, fairylander & daec
I help all of you say horray! its another bright new day into your pregnancy
happy.gif

xiaowanzi
Siang had cradle cap when he was 9th months (corrected). I used a little bit of oilve oil and i use baby comb to gently comb away the marks, after that it never come back. Rash on body? Siang has had rash on neck and doctor say he allergy? Maybe can bring your boy for a review with your company doc or PD?

xbliss
me too thinking how to pamper myself ler?? haha. maybe i should get my hair done hehe. There is this hair saloon at AMK that provide chauffeuring for their customers ler hehe. I wish i have some leave to meet some of my friends too (year end mah).

Mothercare card is a good card to have. they have lots of very nice item

Morning mummies

yes, horray, violet is 30 weeks + 4 days.

today will be seeing ann tan. kiasu me, seeing two gynaes.

Actually today is my eldest son, jared birthday. Sometimes, i do hope violet will be out today, and share the same birthday with her eldest brother, that means he is coming back to me...
sad.gif

On christmas day is his death anniversary, so christmas is no longer the day for us. we dun celebrate christmas at all. used to love the lightenings, the joy, the fun, but now...

anyway, xbliss, you still young, must have 2nd one lar.

jane, i also order the same jacket for dash.
happy.gif

kkf
I see (sorry i did not know that jared death anniversay is on xmas day). Sadness is in the past. I would think jared would want his parents to look forward to every new day and in a way i think jared is already back with you (blessing the family) in every other way.

for dash, jared, violet. kkf, stay strong and don't think too much.

To me, everyone has their very special birth date. It mark the day when we arrive in this world. I am sure jared would love to see his mei mei arrive in her very special birth date. You know what i meant? They are already very special because both violet and jared belongs to you and your hubby.

don't think too much. let us know what dr Ann Tan says ah

oh you order same size 11 too ;) or u order a bigger size hehe. oh then we will get our boy jacket at the same time
happy.gif

oh kkf, you ordered size 11 too
happy.gif
. btw, S$10 is inclusive of postage :p. i have tt over. if self collection is S$9.50 :p. i hope the jacket turn out nice wor. first time i order from this seller

day-c,
Ya, but sometimes they also fight for some toys
happy.gif
soon you will enjoy seeing how nada 'sayang' the brother
happy.gif

Jane,
yup, the jacket is nice, thot of ordering for D&D
happy.gif

Hi jane, thanks, i see $10 inclusive postage liao? ok will transfer over soon...
happy.gif

I thought size 11 already very big liao...

Btw, have seen dr ann tan, very blur, suppose to be tomorrow but keep thinking its today so I went today. Anyway, good news! violet is 1.9kg at 30 weeks plus 4 days! yeah!!!
happy.gif

didi :p.
i personally like the colour but honestly i am not sure if the material is good. but indeed its very nice printing hor haha

kkf
i super KS la. so order bigger haha. hehe so lets us wait for the jacket to be inside our mail box haha

Horray! jia you jia you. i gather i be self invited to violet full month party
happy.gif

take care and stay cheerful okie. you can do it.

KKF, 30+4 is very good progress, keep it up! You will be my inspiration when I decide to have another child next time.

gg11 too. Keep it up.

Update on us:
Yesterday, my boy is 2 months old. That is 61 days in the SCN.

Good news are, his MRSE sepsis is cleared few days ago(this was what caused him to be intubated in the first place, by weakening his lungs and causing lots of secretions). He is now taking 20ml EBM every 2 hourly which is good. His TPN central line has been removed, which is another good news as this could be another source of bacteria colonization. Also, no more apnoea. And he can do his suckling motion now
happy.gif
So cute! Oh, and he is 1.78kg now (birth weight was 885grams @ 27weeks)

Bad news is, he is still intubated. That making him about 1.5months on the ventilator. Therefore, he is offcially diagnose as having Chronic Lung Disease (one defination = more than 28days on ventilator). He also still have lots of secretion requiring frequent suctioning by the nurses. It's on low settings though.

The doctor is thinking of giving him a short regime of steroids for his lungs to get him out of the ventilator, and is awaiting our consent. We don't know what to do (read plenty studies on effect on brain cells, etc). I am very anxious and worried about what is the right thing to decide for our lil boy. We have not consented, and is hoping that he improves without needing it. Want to give him more time - but dunno for how long? Until after his EDD? (mid Jan)

Sigh.. definitely not feeling festive.

hello munyi
been quite a while since you are on this board.

its good news that your boy MRE sepsis is cleared, he is drinking (sucking well) BM and no more apnoea. he is also putting on good weight
happy.gif
well done mummy

my boy (who was a 26 weekers born at 980g) also was given steroids to strengthen his lung. He is diagnose with CLD too as he was incubated for nearly 2 months. My boy was discharged when he reaches is EDD. He stayed in hospital for 3months and a few days.

Recently he went down with croup and got wheezing. The doctors does give him some very mild steroids. all medication has side effects but i think there is this need to stay balance between letting the kid recover (become stronger) with medication and the side effect that comes with it.

I understand so long steriods is not given for long periods. mild amount is still ok. correct me if i am wrong. that is what the doctors normally explain to me

Don't feel down. tell your boy, breath and breath and he be able to go home soon. and he is reaching 2kg
happy.gif
hug hug him for me please.

Hi Munyi
Before you deliver, did you take some painful injection for the lungs development? I understand from the books and some websites that usually before premature delivery, such a jab has to be taken so that the babies' lungs can developed properly.

Can you share which hospital is your boy in and how are the charges like?

Your boy has grown so much and so well - from 885g to 1.78kg! He is really very brave. His mummy must be as well...Am sure baby will be fine.

I'm so sorry that I'm not able to give you much advice...have you considered on getting second opinion?

munyi,
thk chronic lung is quite common amgst preemies...leave it to the docs.....they wld noe best....i find my preemie son and my full term son not much different when it comes to illnesses...

Jane > Oh, thank you
happy.gif
Yes, was lurking here, but it was too difficult to type with the ipodTouch. Logged onto a proper PC now.

Can I ask whether did you see an immediate improvement in your lil boy's lungs/breathing after the steroids? As in, how soon after the steroids can he be out of the ventilator? Also, when finally the ventilator was removed, could he immediately breathe easily or was there 'recession' in his chest with every breath initially? (My doctor says that indicate stiff lungs or effort with breathing. My boy has that quite often even with the vent with low settings. Therefore the doctor has not removed the vent just yet and is considering the steroids). We want him to consider extubating the baby first before trying the steroids.

gg11> Yes, I was given 2 steroid jabs the day before delivery. Perhaps that helped him coz he cried on his own when he was born (c-sect).

We are at one of the top KLumpur public hospital. I'm from/in KL you see. Another mommy here whose child has discharged a week ago (warded same time as my boy) was billed a shocking RM2k. We all simply couldn't believe it. (Was very relieved to know, coz we never dared ask for the bill so far) I believe the bill in US can come up to USD1mil for about 2 months stay. Read in their forum. But it's normally covered by their health insurance la. We heard it's at least RM1k per day at PRIVATE hospitals here, though. What about Singapore? Someone mentioned SGD13k?

Yea.. am getting second opinion and researching from the internet :p

Hi munyi, think u referring to me. If Mummy stays C class ward (6 bedded), then baby will be heavily subsidised and costs ard 13000 for 92 days in NICU, which most likely can be covered by our cpf medisave, and dun need cash.

Regarding steriods, me not too sure too, doctors never mentioned to us, though my boy was also 27 weekers leh...

Jane, then i think wun order liao, cause I thought the jacket looks cute. Btw, you mention in ur blog you bought ikea table and chairs right (if I remember correctly), is it the round one? I bought one 2nd hand one, cause dash outgrows his little tikes junior table. quite ex hor, even 2nd hand also ex.

Hi Munyi
My gynae told me the bill would be about S$1K per day if stay in ICU!!!! That's why he wanted to keep the baby in me as long as possible.

I just joined in this thread so not very familiar with a lot of you - are you a Malaysian or a Singaporean staying in Malaysia?

From what you said RM 2,000 for a total of about 7 weeks (right?) sounds very reasonable leh..

Am cost conscious now cos my own hospital stay bill for 5 weeks is horrendous!!! And in Singapore, from my understanding, there is no insurance covering pregnancy.

hi munyi

wow its 2 years ago. let me try to recall. when my boy was in hospital. they did cycling and try to let him breath in room air. but my boy toke around 2 months before he could do it on his own.

Honestly, i cannot remember. don't want to give wrong information (thou i remember they did give him steriods).

BUT after he was discharged, he was hospitalised due to wheezing (caused mostly by viral infection - croup, flu) and they actually give him small dose of steriods (which of course i clarify with the doctors that its 'ok' and safe for my boy to take it). And indeed with the steriod medication, his breathing improve. But my boy now is 2 years old and your boy still young. so for this i think cannot compare..

Sometime i think cannot rush them. Cycling during my boy time in hospital is very critical and i never rush the doc to take out the tubes etc. Every day i just ask my boy to try and breath and 2 months (into his arrival into this world). he breath in room air
happy.gif

We are subsidy patient. frankly, i cannot remember exactly how much was his hospitalised bill. we have medisave to cover.

Money can be earn back lor... don't worry too much about hospital bill for now (that is what i think).

Cheer your boy up. ask him to breath and breath

good to get 2nd opinion as costa mentions
happy.gif

wave at kkf
happy.gif
not taking afternn nap? well, i chose another jacket keke. Determine to get a jacket for siang la :p.

oh yes :p (shy liao) you are right. We bought the Ikea Kritter Children Table (S$69) and 2 chairs (S$29/chair) :p. not the round table. mine is rectangle. heavy ler (other than not cheap). i ever thought of getting a 2nd hand one but my hubby say buy new one. maybe next time sell haha.

i think ryan's mum interested to buy the round table too

fairylander
the weight sounds ok. jia yuo

munyi
great that his weight is over 1kg
happy.gif

all the best, hope it gets better and better!

that mum's bill sounds ok leh -my bill was SGD$7500 for 48days AFTER subsidy. before subsidy, $30K at c-class rates. I dread to think wat the prices if its not C class rates

xbliss
thk its norm that most mums worry how to cope with 2nd baby when not sure who gonna take care of #1. before preggy #2, I keep telling hubby to get more involved.its not as much as I hoped but definately got improvement. sometimes have to watch her cry but must let hubby handle without jumping in to rescue. bedtime used to be me only, but I insist hubby accompany us. now somtimes she insist he's ard when she gonna sleep hehe. he's more confident when getting her to sleep. I must be there but she's ok with him putting her to sleep somemtimes. worse case, I gotta let my mum take care of Nada. problem is I still dunno where I am going to be since I likely going to be moving, and whether my mum can stay with me first few months. thnk the first few months rough, but mums tell me must know how to stagger their feeding/sleeping times or put at the same time depending which is more workable

ex hor? the round table 65 and yah two chairs 29 each...ex ex ex. i got 2nd hand for 40, and 2 stools for 10. then because location too far, need to ask courier help, another 10...so ex.

kkf,
i see. yeah not cheap ler :p. hope can let him sit until 6 years old :p (don't know if i am aiming too far away haha)

day-c
who are you seeing now? can i know? just curious

think the ikea table can sit quite a few years... dun worry.
happy.gif

daec, you also seeing kkh gynae n private is it?

Hi ladies
Side track a bit...fyi, got Robinson sale on 25 - 26 Dec and Isetan cardmember sale on 26 Dec.

Not that I can go and shop but from the catalogue, going to make some orders and ask sis or hubby to buy.

Thanks to the link given by xbliss, I could find the Medela breast pump at S$599. Still have not decided whether to get this. Ameda will be having offer at Robinson - the set going for S$350. Anyone use Ameda before?

Also, both places also got sale for Philips Avent steriliser and bottle warmer. Need some advise from experienced mothers...is a bottle warmer a necessity? Else how do you warm up milk?

last week went to see the surgeon, my MIL cannot stand and ask the surgeon about the cradle cap. But the surgeon said according to my boy's age (1 yr old, corrected 10mths), it shouldn't be cradle cap. She said is due to dry skin. But my boy has this since he stayed in hospital. Everyday apply olive oil and comb his hair also no use. Think really need to see a skin specialist.

Hi MunYi,

My boy also given steriod during his stay in hospital due to his weak lung. Think Doctor wlll know what is the best treatment for yr boy. Too long intubated also no good for the lung. My boy ia a good example. Now, he still comes home with nasal cannular.

hi gg11,

currently, i'm using Ameda breast pump. i strongly recomend u to consider this. Is not noisy as medala pump, moreover suction is powerful.

Hi Xiaowanzi
Thanks. I know Medela is the popular one which a lot of my friends are using. When I searched the amazon website, a lot of positive feedback came from Avent and Ameda. Heard Ameda is rather filmsy...is it? Some other feedback says the pump will get weaker and weaker. How long have you been using Ameda and have you used other pumps before?

Thanks.

gg11, i am just using the normal medala, i really dunno wats the difference between all the breast pumps, to me, got supply means got supply, so watever breastpump shd make no difference?? sorry me a bit suai ku.( last time i dun have much supply, use watever also no use leh)

Anyway, our babies just 3 weeks different in edd leh...hee. next time we must meet up!!! maybe can zhi fu wei hun! haha, since urs is boy mine is gal, next time we may bec in laws...haha

Jane> Cycling - not done here leh. Yea, everyday we ask him to be good boy and to fasta learn to breathe properly. Am running out of baby talk already - haha
happy.gif

Sigh... the steroid (dexamethasone) that the doctor wants to give my boy for his lungs comes with the potential risk of damaging brain cells, c.palsy, etc...especially for preemies. Hence, our signed consent is required. That's why we are very "kan cheong" for our boy to fasta graduate out of the vent, instead of getting the steroid.

gg11 > I'm Malaysian staying in KL. Gatecrashing this forum
happy.gif

NO NO NO - haha! The RM2k bill was for 7 WEEKS NICU stay, inclusive of everything. It's super cheap!
happy.gif
Should be the subsidised amount, since its a public hosp.

However, here in Msia we do not have any CPF scheme for this kinda medical bills (erm..I think).

xiaowanzi > Ya lor.. too long on vent not good. He always seem to pull at the vent. Poor lil guy. And when I saw the nurse suction him yesterday (he has lots of secretion), he desaturated until 49%, bradied and turned limp and grey. So scary. No wonder, the nurses here always ask the parents to leave whenever they do that procedure. So torturous for the baby.

Your boy was discharged with a cannula? Is it easy to manage at home? Does it come with a O2 tank?

i've been using the pump for 1 yr plus. So far so good. Never try on other brand, but my friend did use the medela before. She said no good, she is the one who recommend me Ameda.

jane.kkf
now seeing private at thomson. planning to change IF progress not gd. he prescribe me aspirin to thin blood in hopes more gets to baby and growth is gd. last time growth was not gd. my case is straightforward - bld pressure if not gd/baby growth no gd they will just c-section. at most, they try lower my bld pressure if too high. last time they did - affected baby heart rate so c-section

thk for kkf case the management more impt and not so straightforward for mine. gd thing tho baby growth is not affected. for me keep worry baby growth how, even if baby is still inside - the growth is not steady last time and dr warn this time maybe likely same

Back