Pregnant with a new job

camomile_opal

I found out I was pregnant when I was a month into my new job. I was slightly more than a month pregnant by then. I had pregnancy spotting and had to be on mc. Thus, my boss has come to know of my pregnancy.

About 3 wks into the new job, I keep feeling that the job is not right for me now and then. (In my new job majority of my colleagues seems to do OT which I deem excessive and it really puts me off). I had even contemplated about calling up my old colleagues/ boss and see if they still have vacancies. But I have not done that. Now that I know I am pregnant, I feel that it might be unfair for my old work place if I were to go back there.

Please advise what should I do ? Should I stick out here in my new job and hope that things will turn out for the better and deliver my baby here or should I go back to my old work place. If its my old work place, how should I open my mouth to tell them ? (feels kindof weird to tell them do you still have headcount? and then I am slightly more than 1 mth pregnant)

Btw, I didn't sleep well last night cos I think I dreamt or kept thinking that this job is not right for me. Partially cos a lot of ppl left in that team and there is noone to guide you around as a newbie I find it tough.
Am afraid my worries might affect my baby.

I feel that if you are on talking terms with your ex boss, you may wanna contact him/her and sound him/her out and also be upfront that you are currently 1mth+ pregnant. After telling him/her all these, the ball is in his/her court to make the decision. I think it's premature to decide for them if they will feel shortchange just because u r pregnant. If your ex boss wants u back, it's really nobody's business to decide if u shld be back to your ex company or not. Contact ur ex boss first then decide what happens next. All the best! Take care of your health and baby.

WhO: Congrats!

Camomile: Its will not be unfair if you are upfront to your ex-boss, i.e. telling them u are preggie and they can decide if they wanna take you back.
happy.gif
If you really dun feel like gg back, then gotta endure and bite the bullet and bear for 9 mths till delivery and take the full 16 weeks ML and quit after that.

Hi Who, Congrats !

U EDD in Jan, that means about 20weeks pregnant and you just found out? Haha..

Welcome to join our Jan forum.

Opal: i am in almost same situation with you... i think i am preg and i am going for my new job next week! kinda worried of what the people will think...
probably you can try asking your ex boss and at the same time just endure in your new job?

hi camomile_opal
i was in the same situation as you last year. i just move to a new role and new job and new boss and discovered i was a month pregnant.

and being new in the job add alot of stress and the need to performance, get to speed and "chiong" all the way.
and my pregnancy i was very sick, and unwell.
so after 2nd month i told my boss the news. of course she din seem happy. but i assured her that i will do my best to performance.

so i think in your case, you have to think and assess
1) tell your boss about your situation and assure him/her that you will continue to perform but monthly u need to take 1-2 days off for medical checkup.

2) if he/she is understanding boss, then i guess no issue to continue to try on the job and tahan until you deliver if you want to get the paid maternity.

3) if your boss seem unhappy and start giving u negative feedback, then you have to think if you can leave the job and maybe relook and get a new job after you deliver.

for me, i was very stress but i told myself i will do my best nad if i really cant do it, i just resign.
but i manage to surive the last 8mths on my job and then i was off 4mths maternity and when i returned to work, i had a new job scope change nad i had to struggle and relearn everythign.
but now im abut a yr into my job, things mor stablise but again i was told to take on more new role.

so no matter where and when, there always be changes. so you just have to assess the situation and if you thinki u can tahan, then stay on. if really cant, then take a break!

thanks for all your advise
happy.gif

1) Previous company
I contacted my previous boss cos of other matters coincidentally. He asked about my new job and I told him about my current company and he asked if I want to go back. Told him I need to discuss with my husband first. I have not told him I am pregnant though cos was thinking of telling him about it when I am more firm about rejoining.

2) previous previous company
my previous previous company's colleague contacted me to ask me how I am also. Told him about my current job and he also asked if I want to go back he say my ex team should be needing ppl. I asked him to help sound my boss out cos I a not in contact with my boss there.

was thinking that actually we all leave our previous jobs because of a reason so rejoining would mean going back there...

I left my previous company cos I wanted a change of industry so I was doing something completely different from what I had been doing.

1) some things about my previous company
- workload there is much more than my previous previous company but can still go home on time if u want. I did spend some of my offdays working at home before and some late nights or OT like about 7pm.
- scope of job wise is quite broad and challenging. Might have some stress because of that. but prospects wise can be quite gd in long term.
- pay and benefits are quite gd and reasonable
- place is a bit messy in terms of work so this might add some stress
- env wise the ppl there am already familiar with some are quite nice but there r some users that can be quite nasty

2) some things about my previous previous company
- I have been there for a long time close to 10 yrs so I know the inside out of things
- work should be a breeze nothing challenging workload wise no matter how busy u get can still arrange to leave work on time and on the dot
- not much prospects for career though
- pay and benefits wise not as gd as my previous company (pt 1)
- place has become messy over the yrs but I have stayed long enough to see it evolve from not messy to messy to at least it doesnt bother me that much
-env wise cos I been there for a long time am very familiar with the ppl there and have a lot of friends there so its a very nice friendly working env

3) some things about my current company
- cos Am only about slightly more than a mth there they have not started me full load. But from wat I can see from others they seem to be doing a lot of OT every at least till 8 or 9pm and sometimes they work till 12am or 2am jus to rush a piece of thingy out for boss and sometimmes they even work on wkends cos boss wants sometime by say sat or sun (which puts me off).
- scope of job wise its totally different from wat I have been doing it is suppose to be simplier might cos the place is so messy the job ends up looking difficult so might have some stress because of that. my initial plan was to treat this job as stepping stone to go some place else late
- pay and benefits same as my previous previous company
- place is messy in terms of work so this might add some stress
- env wise the ppl there doesn't seem to be too friendly doesn't seem quite gd

So with all these points and concern, what's the best place for me in my current preggy state so that my baby can be delivered healthy ?

Hi camomile, bump onto this post. i sense you are quite stress with your new job and with your pregnancy, you are thinking of going back. I am not sure what your ex-co might think if they discover you are preg. You may want to be open about this fact. if you can go back to your ex-co, you need to find out, if you are still entitled to maternity benefits by the time you joined them since maternity benefits is entitled if you have worked for 6 mths. (I think)

well, if you are still with the ex-co, i will suggest you stay there till yr maternity is over. since u hv moved on, unless yr ex-co willing to take u, u hv to assess whether u can cope with the current job. It's never worth risking your pregnancy state for any reason. Choice is yours. take care
happy.gif

Hi Camommile, As least you are in a better situation than me. I just join my company in May. Found out I was pregnant in July. I have cramps and spottings so was on HL and MC. I just went back to work 2 weeks back. Today, HR ask me to see me. They asking me to leave cos my boss complain that I am disruptive as I might be on MC anytime. And I am working for a govt body now. They still have the cheek to tell me no company will accept a staff like me. I do know a few people working in the private sector that takes HL and MC due to pregnancy complications. Just very pissed off right now.

hallo! keep all your emails, and record your converstaions with HR. whether in writing or what. i seirously think such employers should be brought to light and justice. gather all your evidence and make sure that you are always sounding positive, reasonable and willing. then bring your case to MOM / Media / MP / online forums once you have decided to move on. sometimes you just to go to show these stupid companies that you mean business. you are human and not just some statistics in their KPI.

I have already been terminated and today is my last day of work. given only one month compensation. Sighs... How to find a job now..it is impossible task.

Hi Joanna, I was asked to leave with immediate notice when I was 14 wks pregnant with #1. Was in the company for about 5mths.. Was crashed but looking on e bright side, we get to stay home to rest n enjoy life abit ya =P Remember nothing is more important than having our little one safe and sound.. Though it'll be hard with limited cash.. take care ya~

These companies are horrible. Not everyone can afford not to work. I am having a big headache cos I am in the midst of moving to a new place. Just spent quite a bit on Reno and furnishing. Good thing My renovation is simple, nothing too expensive. Sighs... just worried about cash flow cos My hubby 's job is commission based so it is not constant. Sometimes his take home is not a lot. Cannot even sell My car or house away without incurring a lost.

hi Camomile
I got preg 1 mth after joining new company and quit in 3rd mth. The new job was too stressful & tiring with daily OT, had to go back on Sat to OT and bring work home sometimes. Almost whole team had left, no guidance, I was doing 4 persons' jobs. My boss told me he'll hire 1 more person to share the load but it was just NATO. Already a colleague had suffered a m/c few mths b4 i joined, so the thot of it scared me a lot. Plus I plan to be SAHM so to me, it's just a matter of time when to quit. Finally decided to quit in 3rd mth even though had to pay job agency a penalty, no pay for remaining 6mths, no ML pay. Financially tight but survived.

Report such companies to mom n they will help u get ur ML if u meet the criterial. I'm a victim of such horrible company too but got my ML in lump sum with mom assistance.

I am working for the Govt. Civil Servants are not covered under MOM ~T_T~ .... I can only go to the Public service department. They only forward my complain letter back to HR and HR just go on and on and no compensation at all. I sent another letter and same thing. So I am going to MP next..

Joanna, you can go to Tripartite Alliance for Fair Employment and make a complaint. http://www.tafep.sg/ Are u the joanna i know w a westie? :D actually, i found out i was pregnant barely 3mths into my new job but my new company wasnt anal w me, luckily my pregnancy is pretty smooth i took almost zero leave and mc(reserved all my 21days till after i deliver).

Hi All,

I just started new job and dicovered i missed my period for a month.. same situation does not seems like going to be long in the company...I thought i am the only one .. After readuing this forum ... I am more ease .. I am not alone
But I am not going back to the previous company.
also not right time for me to change job.

Hi

I was working a temp job for a few months and decided to go back to full time working now. Who knows realize I was pregnant, wonder who will want to employ a 7weeks pregnant lady? Kinda stress as need an income to support the family.

hi all,

my contract with this current comp is ending soon. boss ask me to stay and extend cuz now no headcount. headcount will only come next yr. -_- recently discovered that i am pregnant. now hard to find perm job at this time of the yr and who will hire me if they know im preggie? my contract entitles me to ML for more than 3 mths of service. but if i extend, my contract will end just before my EDD and i will lose out on the 4mths ML. i am at a loss and very stressed on future financial matters.

Cocsha85: if im u i will still work till end contract better than ya boss not letting u to extend. at least u work more u save more.. for my case. im less than 3 months company just sack me. and gov DONT protect woman who is pregnant less than 3 months.

Actually we should really write an email to reach to our gov on our concerns. Remember during National Day Rally, PM Lee asked how can Singaporeans be encouraged to have more babies...
In this case, after reading our posts and experience, we will be more stress to even try for a baby. And if all couples are waiting for the right time in their life to conceive, then birth rates will still continue to drop.

Hi Chloe,

Actually, i have dropped my comments on PAP facebook page with regards to the MOM policy not doing enough to protect preggie working women. So far, there was no reply.

To add on, i posted this comment following their write up on work life balance.

Hi everyone, i just found out that I am 6 weeks preggie with #1. And I have only been in the job coming to 3 months. Probation ends mid May. I have not told anyone at work about it. I am anxious of being not confirmed or even sent home immediately. I really need to keep this job for financial stability. How can I safeguard myself from the worse? Pls advise.

Hi Plush, you have the rights to keep it hush hush till it's the 12th week. If they were to make things difficult for you and show signs of making you resign, you can report this to MOM. Here's an excerpt of MOM's guidelines: If employer terminates the employment of a pregnant employee within six months from the date of estimated delivery or the date of her confinement without sufficient cause, the employer is required to pay the employee maternity benefits she would have otherwise been eligible for.

Employer is required to pay an eligible employee maternity benefits if she is retrenched within three months from the date of estimated delivery or the date of her confinement.

http://www.mom.gov.sg/employment-practices/leave-and-holidays/Pages/maternity-leave.aspx#obligations

Hope this helps

Thanks Tifanny. I have check and verified with MOM, it's true.

So I decided to tell my boss last week though they are still sitting on my confirmation status. He seemed to be easy going about it and said the confirmation will still stand (but HR is yet to contact me about the paper work and appraisal, I bet they will do it soon and decide to not confirm me and find a way out of this!) Well, I can only wait and see. But the annoying part is that my boss who is a 29 yr old unmarried chap, was very shrewd in putting his words to me. He said that there is one other staff who is in her 40s and jus returned from ML not long since I joined the company and that her baby is down syndrome and he is kind of guilty that the high workload and stress might have contributed to it! I just looked back at him blankly. He said I just have to think about how I want to juggle the workload etc! This was last Fri and he told me to think about it over the weekend. He was outstation for the weekend and is due back in the office tom. Gosh, psychologically playing with my mind, trying to make me call it quits on my own, so obvious. He's always out of town for work and it's so difficult to settle this once and for all.
sad.gif

huh.. Down syndrome has nothing to do with the workload leh.. Sounds like he's trying to scare you off and hoping you will resign voluntarily. Give him benefit of doubt, if he tries to be funny, just shoot him the MOM rules and regulation

My probation period was to be till 13 May. To date, yet to get a formal confirmation. Just verbal one... I dunno if I have a stand to complain to MOM that co is sitting on my confirmation ever since I informed them of my pregnancy.

Back