Piano Teacher from forum - Terrible experience

alsee

Hi all,
my gal is currently attenign piano lesson at a music school. I find her progress quite slow. Any one can recommend piano teacher that is wiling to come to Yishun?
Thanks
Alice

I visit yishun area.do u still looking for piano teacher?my qualification is Diploma in teaching and performance,has been teaching for 8 years.previous music school piano teacher

hie

if you are still looking for a tutor, u can contact me. i will get u the best tutor that cater to your personal preferences thats teaching any subjects, any location for every level from K1 up to JC2. other than academic tuition, we also have non academic ones including music (piano, guitar, drums), sports, computer, languages & culinary. dont worry, we're registered with MOE & established for over 15 years.

intersted/more details, call nabilah @ 81549548

Hi yernying,

Do you teach at bt panjang area? My friend is looking for a piano teacher to teach her daughter at home.
Let me know. Thanks!

Commitments made were broken by Music Teacher I found on forum

http://www.singaporemotherhood.com/forumboard/messages/353638/1259046.html?1230695657

Posted by Miss Teng (Pianist_teng) on Tuesday, November 04, 2008- 1.45am:

HI, I'm a well qualified piano teacher, u may contact me for lessons. some of my info- Was a judge to the Zhong Sing International Piano Competition and Taiwan Bachstein Piano Competition. Hold a Masters in Piano Study from the Royal College, London and been teaching for 10 years already. Have vast teaching and performing experiences which includes piano departments in colleges/Pedagogy workshops, and recitals at many concert halls as well. Dedicated and patient, with teaching that emphasizes 0n 0ne's communication with his/her piano and the aesthetics of Sound. Teaching Diplomas and beyond with lessons conducted 0n Grand Pianos. For all other grades, children =) or house visits, pls contact for info. Call 81435869/[email protected]. Encore performance http://soundclick.com/share?songid=1459598

I was impressed by the above. We had confirmed and agreed via sms: $140 for 4 lessons (45 minutes) on every Saturday 10am to 1045am. Payment to be made on every 1st week of the 4 lessons.

13 Dec 08 (1st lesson) : She sms me at 9am to change time to 11am, but I told her I cant & ask if she wants to postpone our 1st lesson to next week. To my surprise, she managed to turn up on time at 10am.

20 Dec 08 (2nd lesson): She didn’t turn up because she thought that I was still on holiday; this was to due mis-communication between us.

27 Dec 08 (2nd Lesson): She sms on 26 Dec 08 informing that she was sick and won’t be coming.

28 Dec 08: She sms & offered to have make up lesson on 29th Dec 08 at 4pm.

29 Dec 08 (2nd Lesson): She sms me at 3pm to cancel the lesson because she was still sick.

On 29 Dec 08, she sms me asking if she can change our agreed timing (every Sat 10am) to (i) Weekdays/weekends evening & (ii) Late Sat morning but I said No. Finally she requested to change to (iii) 10.15am Sat. I asked her if 15mintues is a great difference; she said because she need to travel to my place.

3 Jan 09 (2nd Lesson): She again sms me on 2 Jan 08 (345pm) saying that she can’t turn up for the lesson because she was still sick.
Immediately I tried calling her hp, wanted to hear her sick voice to verify. However, she didn’t pick up the phone. At that moment, I know I had engaged an irresponsible music teacher for my girl. I was very angry and emailed her to request for refund of $105 for the remaining 3 lessons. If not, I will post on forum.

Story continues on the refund of SGD105:

On 3 Jan 09, she emailed to commit that she will do the bank transfer either on 4 Jan 09 or latest 5 Jan 09.

On 5 Jan 09 (17:13), she sms saying will transfer either on 6 Jan 09 by 2200 or 7 Jan 09 by noon.
On 7 Jan 09 (11.20), she sms saying will transfer by 7 Jan 09 (2359)
On 8 Jan 09 (10.52), she sms saying she was busy and will transfer by 8 Jan 09 (2359)
On 9 Jan 09 (00.12), she sms asking me if she can refund after Chinese New Year.

(All sms were kept in my saved folders)

I do not wish to drag this until Chinese New Year; it has been a nightmare for me. I cannot believe her explanation that she used up all her cash on a surgery for her loved one on 8 Jan 09 and left with no money to refund me. Why in the first place kept sending sms to me on the payment dates? I was furious with her. Unpleasant sms and emails started flowing between us on 10 Jan 09.

On her last email, she mentioned that she will sue me if I do anything beyond “that”, I guess she was referring to posting the truth about her on forum.

Mothers, dont ever make the same mistake as I did. The main focus is not about money, it had been the most torturing session I ever had, liaising with her via sms.

I've also had a most unpleasant experience with a piano teacher I sourced for on one of the forums.

We agreed on a timing on Saturday although she had asked if it's possible to do it on Sunday. I'd also told her I really would like my kid to take the piano exam this year since my kid has been taking lessons for 2 yrs. She promised she will try to push my kid for it.

Things went downhill when I had to deliver in October 08 and couldn't send my kid to her lessons, I told her I needed to stop for a while and would continue again in November. When I contacted her again in early December, she told me she's given up my time-slot to another student and asked if I could take Sunday instead. I said no and she agreed to try to give my original time-slot back and would contact me again.

I waited but she never did. I called her several times but the phone was not picked up. When she called me back, she said she couldn't accommodate my kid cos she's 'too busy' and asked if I could take Sunday again, knowing I would say no, since from day one I'd already told her I have other commitments on Sunday.

I wouldn't mind taking Sunday for another six months though if my kid is able to take her exam this year, but the tutor said it's not likely that my kid can take the exam this year.

In that case, I asked if I can have a refund of the two remaining lessons which she hasn't completed. To my rude shock, she said it's not her practice and music schools don't do refund either. She even said that it's the integrity issue. I was greatly perturbed. My money is with you for incompleted lessons and you're talking about integrity with me.

Although the tutor has offered to complete the remaining 2 lessons, I see no point in completing the lessons since my kid will not continue under her. I feel uncomfortable about the fact that when we first discussed about piano lessons, she proclaimed that she wouldn't charge for lessons that are not completed, but now she refuses to refund the fees for the remaining, incompleted lessons.

It's a small amount no doubt, but I definitely have my reservations for letting my kid to be taught by her again even if it's only 2 more lessons since I've seen for myself how ugly a tutor can be for the sake of small money.

From my experience of sourcing for piano tutors, I can't help but feel disappointed with the integrity, or rather, the lack of it, of the tutors. I've also resolved never to look engage a part-time piano tutor as these pseudo tutors are only out for a killing and not committed to their so-called passion for piano.

I am not saying that teachers from schools like yamaha etc are any better, but at least, if you sign up with a school, there is better recourse if you teacher wnats to change the time etc etc...

My kid is in grade 1 with a school- with a teacher who enjoy kids, and responsible to call us if she needs to change a lesson date...so far so good...

Bethy, I understand your feeling.... being disturbed by this type of irresponsible "so called" professional music teacher.
It had been a great lesson for me so I do not wish other mothers to go through the terrible experience.
I had signed up my girl with Lee Wei Siong Music school. So far so good, they allow cancellation on exceptional reasons.

Thanks, Louise,
I read your posts on the other piano threads as well. I'll definitely be enrolling my kid into a music school the next time.

To a large extent, my experiences with piano tutors have made me lose faith in learning piano. I always thought that people who learnt the arts have more integrity and take pride in themselves and what they do than the average person, but apparently I'm quite wrong. I don't want my kid to end up behaving and thinking like these people, and yet thinking that they are superior just because they know how to play piano. I'll take my time to mull over it first before taking the dive again.

Yeah... i dont want more mothers to suffer from that! I guess majority of them are good, just that there are a few black sheep.

Is important to have referral even for music school.

I still cant recommend my girl's current music teacher yet, no doubt she is so patient, gentle and pretty; yesterday was 2nd lesson.

Hi there dear parents, to my horror.
I didn't know such piano teachers actually exist.
All the many excuses and changes.
For me, i'm a piano teacher. However, I make it a point to explain to parents 2 weeks beforehand or at least 1 week beforehand on the changes in schedule if there are any like for eg, my overseas lecturer coming to town for revision lectures or etc.

Or usually it'll be the parent who will be changing the time slots. And so far, it's usually the parents. And i'm very cool with it.
That is because I believe there's this element of give and take. Where parents might need to change schedule sometimes because something cropped up, and same goes for the teacher. :)

No doubt, piano schools offer you more security and at least there won't be abrupt changes. However, me myself, I've learnt in piano schools before. Yes, they make lessons entertaining for the kids however, the actual fact of them learning and absorbing much from the group lessons in those music schools are limited. That is because they're not given enough attention. Or otherwise, certain schools actually pull and drag the period of time your kid learns before taking grading.

I'm just sorry to hear that parents actually came across such incidents.
Maybe as parents you will once again be paranoid to hire another piano teacher.
This is why, it doesn't necessarily mean all the descriptions there are tiptop, it means piano teacher would definitely be of top quality.

Should you guys consider to hire a piano teacher, feel free to contact me and ask me for details :)

You can address me as Miss Lim.

hi jas and sunshine,I am too late to view your message.if you still looking for piano teacher.U may call me at 90252089

hi sleepy garfield.

I stay in woodlands.but I teach from geylang bahru to boonlay.majority students in Bishan and ang mo kio.bcos last time I taught in the music school in that area.

actually saturday morning time is the most peak hour for a piano teacher.

I got a lot of parents called me for asking this time slot.but I directly refused them and offer other time since my this time slot oledi occupied.so they also looking for another teacher.but few weeks later,my this time slot student wan change to weekday....

I think the teacher wan to take new student but this time slot oledi occupied by existing student.so she agree with u but while the lesson start,she only can come for the 1st lesson,for the rest,she cant make it oledi,cos she also afraid lost old student.

I also know some teachers,starting they charge ur lesson fees very cheap.but just teach a few months,ur lesson will be adjust to very high.cos they believe u oledi get along with her so even fees increase but u also wont change teacher.

I rather to keep looking for new students instead of doing these.

to OLI,may I know which area u teach?cos I received a lot of call form Tampines,bedok sengkang.all these I cant teach.I only teach from bishan to Boon Lay.

Hi,

If staying in Jurong West , I am available in most mornings n some evenings. But students must travel to my home studio at Jurong West st 81 .

Many thanks

I've let my kid join a music school for one-to-one lessons after my nasty experience with a fly-by-night private piano tutor.

Contrary to common belief that private piano tutors are better, the way I see it, music schools' tutors are way better than the private tutors I had gone through. The very first thing that struck me was the dedication and patience of the teacher. The teacher asked me why it took my kid so long to learn the basics when she can move quite fast. I couldn't answer her question at all since the last tutor refused to let me sit in the lessons. My only feedback from my kid was 'very difficult' and refused to learn anymore.

She also expressed puzzlement as to why the previous tutor skipped an important basic lesson on Level 2 when there are vital skills needed to bridge Level 1 and 3.

It makes me feel more strongly than ever that private tutors don't know what they are doing, although I hope this doesn't apply to all private tutors.

The very first time I took my kid down for a lesson, I made it clear to the school tutor that I would like my kid to take Grade 1 exam and she immediately demonstrated to us how the exam is like, and what it comprises of. This is what the private tutors failed to do. They couldn't even give me a timeline as to when my kid could take the exam. The only statement they could manage was,"Oh, should be able to." and in the end, told me my kid was not ready. The last tutor was even worse. When she was incapable of training my kid for exam, she said,"You can let her learn for interest." If I wanted her to learn for pure interest without any form of examination to ascertain her skills, then there's no need for me to engage a private tutor in the first place.

I feel that fairyprincess is right about seeking recourse from the music school on the piano teachers. When you go private, you have no one to help you when these irresponsible tutors give you sh*t. But most important of all, I really feel that piano tutors at music schools are better and more competent in teaching piano, since they would have been interviewed and their qualifications screened. I will most likely stay with music schools for years to come.

I'm a piano teacher, currently conducting lessons at students' place in Bishan, CCK, Woodlands, Yishun, Yio Chu Kang, Toa Payoh, Sengkang & Cairnhill.

If you're looking for piano teacher, please PM me. I'm not leaving my contact no. here because i have been receiving a couple of nuisance calls. Appreciate ur understanding. Thanks

Ms Tan

hi jhelen, i have 2 kids age 4+ and 2+ at home. Have a digital piano at home too. Do you think can use digital piano to teach? I try to PM you but you do not accept PM. Can you PM me instead? Thanks.

Its true that there are some black sheeps in the private teaching arena, as it can been seen in all education sectors.

I believe that leave of absence as what Miss Lim said should be communicated in advance, this is how private tuiton can be better than school music tutoring - more flexible.

Thus, I am currently teaching music in a private capacity, and I believe that everything about music ties in with what the students are learning in life, eg. being good in math help to improves their counting of intervals etc.

Theory and scales are boring to many students, but I believe that these are studies that help to support the ultimate goal of music performance.

Things that are learnt in theory such as 4 bar phrasing helps them to understand the manner in songs are created, chord progressions are essential for all songs and etc.

Helping them to understand that scales is not boring, but it is a fundamental tool for them to improve their finger movements and strength, thus enabling them to play harder songs.

Thus, I believe that the experience of learning music can be applied to their daily life.

If you have any queries, please feel free to contact me at [email protected].

Cheers,
Paris

I'm a piano teacher, currently conducting lessons at students' place in Jurong, Bishan, Choa Chu Kang, Woodlands, Yishun, Yio Chu Kang, Ang Mo Kio, Toa Payoh, Sengkang & Cairnhill.

If you're looking for piano teacher, please PM me. I'm not leaving my contact no. here because i have been receiving a couple of nuisance calls. Appreciate ur understanding. Thank you.

Ms Tan

I'm a piano teacher, currently conducting lessons at students' place in Jurong, Bishan, Choa Chu Kang, Woodlands, Yishun, Yio Chu Kang, Ang Mo Kio, Toa Payoh, Sengkang & Cairnhill.

If you're looking for piano teacher, please PM me. I'm not leaving my contact no. here because i have been receiving a couple of nuisance calls. Appreciate ur understanding. Thank you.

Ms Tan

Hi,

I am looking for a piano teacher to teach my daughter. I stay in Punggol. Pl PM me if you have any recommendations.

Thanks much

Pls do not engage Joanne Chiew as a private music tcher. She is unscrupulous and capitalise on parent's music ignorance and registers children in unaccredited and unrecognised music exam brd in Msia. She is currently a musc tcher in Sonare music sch in sengkang. It's a scam. Beware.

Beware of Yong Xin Mei - she is one big con woman wearing the mask of a piano teacher. She was introduced by my friend Mag (of whom 2 daughters were Miss Yong's piano students, but not any more for the same problems I faced) when I was looking for a piano teacher in end 2007.

She started out as an acceptable (I really don't demand a lot) teacher, though she was absent every now & then (with or without notice), I put up with her disappearing acts as they were kind of spaced out and my 3 sons were still playing the piano ok. In Nov 2008, one week after I paid her the four lessons ahead (I had to pay her on the 1st lesson of every 4), she asked for another 2-month advance payment, saying that her father(or mother, can't remember) was hospitalized and needed the money urgently. Then, a few disappearance episodes (with overdue sms notice to my son or no notice at all) took place before she fulfilled the paid lessons (with lots of ground work by me sending sms's to her, she never answer my calls when she owes money or lessons).

Then again, just when she had fulfilled the paid lessons and about 2 weeks after I paid for another 4 lessons, she came up with another story in early April 2009 that her parents and sister had a car accident in Johor Bahru and she needed another 2-month advance payment as she had to pay the hospital in JB urgently for her family members. I was sceptical about her tale & was reluctant to accede to her request, but eventually succumbed to her persistent pestering because, I was still having some bits of respect for her as a teacher and liked to believe that she wouldn't tell dreadful lies about her parents & sister being inured in a car accident. With no surprise, she disappeared again every now and then before she finally fulfilled the paid lessons by mid June 2009 (not without my hard work of sending her numerous sms's of course).

When I was supposed to pay her again for another 4 lessons on 18 June 2009, she asked for S$10000.00 in advance!! Saying that her marriage was on the rocks, she was filing for divorce and she needed money to engage a lawyer to fight for custody of her daughter, etc. I tried rejecting her but again, in a fit of sympathy, succumbed to her relentless pleas and issued her a cash cheque of S$5000.00 as advance payment. A few weeks later, she pestered me to lend her another S$5000.00 saying that she couldn't get that money else where and needed to have the S$10000.00 for the divorce. I told her I had no money. I only have myself to blame subsequently when her disappearing acts became too frequent to put up with and she was almost impossible to contact. She only responded some time in January 2010 when I threatened to recover the outstanding nearly S$2000.00 by legal means and pleaded that she could only repay by giving lessons to my sons. I was looking for a new piano teacher already, but had to let her continue in order to avoid the damages.

That was not all, I found out that she did the same to another friend of mine Ema, to whom I had introduced Miss Yong to teach her 2 daughters. Ema's damage was worse than mine, at the point of time when Miss Yong owed me nearly S$2000.00, she was owing Ema more than S$2500.00!! She also repeatedly not turned up for lessons with Ema's daughters. Ema soon stopped her daughters' piano lessons with Miss Yong in early 2010 (her daughters wanted no more piano lessons since), with the S$2500.00+ outstanding to date, as she didn't want to subject her kind soul to Miss Yong's abuse any more.

I had looked earnestly for a new piano teacher to take over once Miss Yong repaid her debt fully by lessons, but to no avail. Then I had to let her continue after she cleared her debt as I preferred my eldest son to attain Grade 8 this year or it'll be difficult for him to practise and sit for the exam next year when he'll be doing his National Service. And during those times, she continued to absent herself every now and then with last-minute/overdue notice or no notice.

To top it all, she attempted to misappropriate the S$610.00 exam fees I gave her this February. I had been the applicant for my sons exams with the ABRSM, and in the years with Miss Yong, she had persuaded me several times to let her be the applicant for my sons exam. Her reason being, with me as the applicant, the examiners at the examination centre allocated with respect to my address were more demanding than those whom her other students came across at the centre allocated with her being the applicant. She kept telling me that she strongly believed that my sons could have scored better if they were tested at the centre allocated with her being the applicant. So this year I thought, may be I should take her advice and see how it goes. That was BAD decision (again).

About a month after the closure of registration for practical exams this year (July-September 2011), she couldn't produce the acknowledgment card that I usually would have received from ABRSM by then. I started to have a bad feeling about the whole thing, rang up ABRSM, and to my horror, my sons were NOT registered for any grade of exam. I called her immediately, she responded that she would check with ABRSM. She tried cover up by saying that the ABRSM's "system" changes this year and caused the failed registration of my sons for the exams (she really thought I was a moron, ABRSM only accept registration online, and registration can only complete upon successful payment by credit cards, the only reason for a failed registration is failure to pay). I played along with her as I needed to push her to do a "late" registration (with late charge, which she had to bear) for my sons immediately and not lose the S$610.00 that I had paid out. She obviously knew that I could report to the police about her misappropriation of the S$610.00 exam fees, and alas, I managed to avoid the loss of money and the predicament of my son having to sit for the grade 8 exam while in National Service.

After successfully registering with ABRSM, I accused her of misappropriation of the exam fees, which she certainly denied. I didn't pursue the matter at first because I had just paid her for another 4 lessons before discovering the incident, and she had disappeared again after getting the payment giving excuses that her mom was very sick at the hospital and she was also not well. I wanted her to fulfill the paid lessons. When she didn't come again, that was the last straw.

I told her that she either refund me the fees paid for the outstanding lessons by the time specified or fulfill the lessons as per schedule, failing both, I would go to the police. The threat only worked for 2 more lessons (very useless ones, merely buying her time sitting next to my sons). When she was supposed to come last Sunday for the last paid lessons for my sons, she sms my son just before she was due to appear, saying that "I really must go temple n get an amulet. So unlucky. I fell from the staircase hurt my right ankle and wrist. Cant even drive. Very sorry cant make it over to ur place today. Goin to the chinese sinseh. Pls explain to ur mom." But the truth is, she had called my son the previous day asking to change lesson time to that which she knew my son had to be at school. Lately, she often seemed to have the magical power to predict events making her unable to come to lessons that she would attempt to change lesson time with my son first, then fail to come.

She didn't answer my call again last Sunday, and about 3 hours after I sms her telling her to refund the fees for the unfulfilled lessons by today (27 Apr 2011) or I'd recover the money by the necessary means, she replied "ok". I knew she will not refund me, till this moment that I am typing this, I just checked my bank account and no, she didn't refund me.

So dear all, just BEWARE of this Yong Xin Mei, in case you want to be sure that she's the one you think she is, you can check on her facebook "Xin Mei Yong". I seriously don't want any more people to fall prey to her, as I believed there are already other victims beside my friends and me. One note is that, my friends and I think that the main cause of Miss Yong being a crook, is her terrible vice of gambling. Before the casinos were opened, she apparently played shares ferociously and had lost big as all our kids reported that she would use our TVs to check on the share market during lessons when we were not around. Then after the casinos were opened, Ema's relative spotted her gambling in the casino of Resort World Of Sentosa while I received from her moon cakes and mandarin oranges in "Resort World" packaging.

If she is teaching your child, please do not let her take advantage of your benevolence, you may also want to pay her at the end of every lesson instead of in advance. I had wasted too much money & time with her, and my sons' progress in preparation for the coming exam is VERY disrupted. I can only hope that they can pass this exam. Sigh!!

Dear All,

I am a piano teacher myself, and i am disgusted by all the terrible experiences u've been through. I strongly encourage (those who are still engaging her, either for the last few lessons or for whatsoever reasons) to call the police and not let her get away to continue cheating other people.

Yes, dear jhelen, I am going to the police to report on Yong Xin Mei's foul play.

To all who had been cheated by her, please take the trouble to report to the police however trivial you think your damage is, so that the authority would see the seriousness of the matter and take action against her before more people fall prey to her.

hi opl623

tried to PM u but cant.

your case seems to be similar to mine.

I also thought my child's exam was registered in ABRM or trinity guidlhall. but couldnt find my child's record at all.
perhaps we can communicate?

pls pm me.

Hi gnk

I had PM you with my email address, seemed to have sent successfully, if you do not receive my pm, post again to let me know.

hi,i am a female piano teacher with 11 years teaching experienced,ABRSM Diploma holder is looking for students.any further enquiry,pls contact at 90252089.thx

I am a full time piano teacher with 11 years of teaching
experience. I have taught students from as young as 4 years
old to 40 years old, both at music centers and privately.
I have a Recital Certificate from the Guildhall School of Music
and Drama, London. I also have Grade 8 Theory from Trinity
College of London.
I am offering beginner to Grade 8 piano lesson, both practical
and theory in the comfort of your home and in my home studio in Woodlands.
. I am comfortable dealing with students of all ages. I am a
exam oriented teacher that concentrating on achieving high
grades in ABRSM examinations. I have a track record of
students achieving a high pass and merit in their exam
results.
Beginner to Grade 2 : 45 min
Other Grade : 60 min
Contact ms Teh at 98244526 or [email protected] for slot
available.

hi all,

Sorry to read about your unpleasant experiences with piano teachers here.

If you are in need of a teacher in the East Coast/Marine Parade area, please feel free to contact me.

I have a Bachelor's in Music from Griffith University, ATmusTCL (Trinity College of Music, London) and was formerly on a scholarship while doing a Diploma in Performing Arts at LaSalle-SIA. I have a 15 years of teaching experience.

I offer lessons in classical and pop piano as well as theory lessons from beginner to diploma. I'm patient and dedicated to helping you achieve good results and progress in your music education.

Please contact Ms Tan at 98426924 or email [email protected]

hi
i m looking for an experienced piano teacher in clementi/west coast area or nearby these area. pls. PM me the fee and contact. thanks.

Back