Perth Holiday - Any Suggestions/Advice/Tips?

coldwinter
Karri Valley is a very beautiful resort @ nite very2 cold...but situated very deep inside...for me i travelled from perth 2 albany stayed at a motel then to pemberton stayed at karri valley

hi,

I'm told that Karri Valley Resort and Karri Valley Chalets are 2 different properties and management. We will be staying at the chalets instead. Hopefully it will be as nice as the resort!
happy.gif

Coldwinter,

Wah u're really a fan of Perth! haha.. *SALUTE* :p

Yup gd choice! Karri Valley Resort is a v. beautiful place. Their lakeside rooms offer balconies with both lakeside & forest views. It's a great getaway especially if u're nature lover cos it's really serene & it also has fantastic lakeside & sunset views! Really shldn't miss if u're stopping over @ Pemberton
happy.gif

Oh btw, they've just been refurbished recently & I heard the rooms are even better now! Besides the studio room, they also hv 2 & 3 bedroom chalets as well, all under same property. Mayb u can visit their website for more info:
http://www.karrivalleyresort.com.au/

Cheers!~
1280782.gif

I'm not a fan la.. my hubby is the one! in fact I was a bit sian when he said ok, let's go Perth again this year.. i was like duh! haha..

I'm not staying at the resort but the chalets instead. I am told they are of under different management.

claerwen, you went to Pemberton right? Which route did you take from Perth? South Western Highway then to Vasse Highway or?

Lastly, anything we can do in Pemberton besides the steam train and the forest walking? hehe

Hi all,

I'm planning a 10 days free & easy to Perth this April (just my hubby and myself, i'm in my 20 weeks preggy). This is our 1st trip to Perth, we hope to have a relaxing, fuss free holiday.

I need your help on the places i can visit at each town. And recommendations of kitchen equip accomodation in each town. Many thanks
happy.gif

Fri - Sun
Day 1, 2 & 3 - Perth City drive up to Albany (3 nights)... what are the things and nearby towns i can visit

Mon - Wed
Day 4, 5 & 6 - Margaret River (3 nights)...what are the things and nearby town i can visit

Thu - Sat
Day 7, 8 & 9 - Perth City
1st day drive up to Swan River for a day trip.
2nd day take ferry to Fremantle
3rd day - Morning at Cashervam Wildlife & noon Shopping at Perth City

Day 10 - Half day Shopping

hi Kite,
We stayed at goodearthe hotel before. It is quite ok. A basic hotel. The apartments are quite ok, come with cooking facilties including oven. It is at a corner of the city. It is about a 15 mins walk to the shopping belt itself. However, it does not have parking for cars. You have to park along the road side. If you are there during weekdays, parking will become a problem. It is expensive and difficult to find parking. It is only free from 5pm to 7 am.

hi alina,
Perth City - Albany, the trip down will take around 5 hours, if you make stops for lunch. Maybe it will take 7 hours. There is not much things to see in the trip down.

Albany -> Margaret river
You can do wadpole, denmark, pemberton. You can do a farm stay at Pemberton. There is a lighthouse at augusta

Margaret river -> City
You can also do a farmstay in one of the towns near margaret river. There are quite a lot of things to do in margaret river, wineyards, chocolate and cheese factory. Eagle heritage place, cave walk.
a) Busselton -> walk 1 km to see the observatory at the end
b) bunbary -> Dolphins before 11 am
c) mundurah, harvey -> There are quite of nature stuff, farm. There is this pie place near mundurah which is famous. It slip my mind now.
d) Rockingham -> Take a tour out to visit the dolphins, or do the seal tour You can also visit the macademica nut place near rockingham

Perth City
If you have booked not anything in perth. You may want to consider this svc apartment which we stayed last year. It comes with a car port. http://www.staywest.com.au/. 110 dollars if less than 5 day, but if you stay longer, it is cheaper. We stayed in the hensman road one. The apartments are quite nice, comes with full cooking facilities, washing machine etc.
a) I would suggest skipping swan valley, it is a mini margaret river. If you really want to do it. It whole route should take no more than half a day.
b) Since only 2 of u, you may consider driving up to north. There are places like lancelin, gingin(bee farm, sci observatory), Yanchep national park. The coast line is quite spectacular. The above can be done in 1 day. You can also consider avon valley, york.
c) Cashervam Wildlife, is a good place to go. (half day will do)
d) I love fremantle. Fremantle is good to go during a weekend, there are busking and weekend markets. However, I do love browsing the shops. I like fremantle better than the city itself.
e) In the City itself.
- Northbridge. Alot of asian stuff. There is a grocer which sells alot of nuts stuff,etc. It is at the corner of northbridge opposite of the Railway. You can get cheap and good almonds, macademia nuts, half the price of you what you get in sg.
- The shopping belt. Parking is expensive, most stuff are relatively expensive.
- Harbourtown. Factory outlet. You can get your baby stuff at pumpkin patch and cotton on kids.
- Museum. The museum at perth city is really good. It is worth going.
- Cannington Vale. There is a wholesale market every Sat morning. You can get apples, strawberries, mushrooms, beef, lamb and seafood at a very cheap rate. However, you need to buy in cartons. You need to be there by 7:30 am.

If you need to get a rental car, I would recommend M2000. You can collect and return at the airport. It has good rates even after factoring reduced damages. http://www.m2000car.com.au/.

hi hopeac, no parking at Goodearth? Their website mentioned there is free parking..

We are also considering staying at Goodearth but if there is no free parking, i will have to start looking around again..

hi coldwinter,
Subjected to availability. The carpark is so small, only like 12 to 20 cars can park inside only. Therefore it is always not available. Try staywest, apartments got car port, and anabelle is quite nice, she even got us a high chair when she saw my daughter. One thing to note, most CBD hotels and apartments have limited parking.

ic.. ok, shall try our luck. Gonna stay there for one night before proceeding to Pemberton.

I saw you mentioned about the Macadamia Nut Farm, is this the one http://www.macnutswa.com.au/ ? Is it very difficult to locate this place? Are the prices at the farm cheaper than those selling in the city and Fremantle?

I saw the website of the staywest, indeed a very nice place. We are likely to stay at Alderney on Hay on our returning to Perth. Will try staywest our next trip (though i seriously hope we will be going to somewhere else besides Perth next yr.. hahaa.. ).

Thanks Hopeac, for all the information.

Hi Hopeac,

Thanks so much for the info. I have a clearer picture of my destinations now
happy.gif

I will properly stay 2 nights at Albany and 1 night at Pemberton.

I went in to M2000 web. The rates are good but they do not have unlimited mileage. I'm concern that if we exceed the given mileage, the excess we pay will add up to alot more.

Have you hear of Red Spot car rental? There was a booth set up during the Natas fair and their deals are reasonable. MOst likely will rent from them. Any comments of this rental company?

Is overnight parking safe in PErth? Any cases of car got stolen?

Hi Alinda

We are also thinking of Red Spot.. first time with them so no comments. Alternatively you can email Hertz, they have a promo going on too.. 10% and 1 day free rental. But you must mention it's the NATAS promotional code otherwise they wouldn't include that in their quote.

If you are parking in the apartment parking lots should be quite safe.

hi Alinda,
They have unlimited mileage within 500km radius of perth, you need to email them.We took unlimited milege the last time. This is a breakdown of the quotation for unlimited the last time they gave me.

Getz class
6 days rental $212

Elantra/Tiida/Lancer6 days
6 day rental $266

Hyudai Tuscon 2WD
6 days rental $360

Car seat is 15 dollars for whole period
Airport collection and return is $80.
Optional liability of 8 dollars per day to bring reduce damage until 250 dollars.

You may be able to get cheaper per day if you take more than 7 days. Their reduce damage option is very low, so we took the reduce damage also.

Coldwinter,

Ya can see why ur hubby liked it so much, he's not the only one
happy.gif
WA is afterall the largest state in Oz so it's not possible to take in everything in 1-2 trips unless u hv a v.long holiday.. so really have to be selective each time. Also, the southwest regions like Denmark, Walpole & Albany all offer incredible hinterland & coastal sceneries & they each have their own unique attractions worth a visit if u have more time to spare. E.g Valley of the Giants Tree Top walk in Walpole, Denmark's William Bay, Wind farm, Gap & Natural bridge in Albany. For nature lovers, once is never enuff, just like me & my hubby so we'll definitely be going bk there again in a few yrs time
happy.gif

Oh yes, for Pemberton, besides the tall trees, steam trains & forest walks, there's also a Lavender & Berry farm where besides the beautiful lavender, u can also see raspberry & blackberries in bloom! U can also handpick them when in season, which is from Dec-Mar, v. interesting! U might wanna visit their website for more info:
www.lavenderberryfarm.com.au

And yup, u're right.. shortest way to Pemberton is to travel via South Western Hwy then turning off at Vasse Hwy. Total distance is ard 330km & abt 4hrs drive away. Also, if u want more info on travel distances & travel directions, u can actually go to www.travelmate.com.au. There's a tool there where you can input your origin & destination & it'll tell you exactly how to get there and how long it will take, v. useful. There's also an online interactive map & distance charts at www.westernaustralia.com which is v. helpful too. I actually use them for my planning during my last trip to Perth & it really saves us a lot of time & also helps to get us oriented before our trip which is v. impt, so tot juz to share with u too
happy.gif

Hi Alina,

For car rental, u might wanna consider Budget. They hv a wide range of cars available for selection & they also offer unlimited mileage. There's also no hidden costs which most other rental firm have (e.g excess damage, max distance u can travel..etc). Service has always been gd & most importantly, they're v. reliable. Their cars are also v. new & clean & there's been no complaints each time. Being an established car rental firm & compared to others like hertz, avis.. etc, they're actually the cheapest. They also have flexible & attractive rental packages from time to time, so u might wanna chkout their website to find out more (www.budget.com.au)

Another good thing abt Budget is their fastbreak programme which allows even more savings & added protection at a very low cost. Membership is totally free too. If u're a fastbreak member, the good thing is excess reduction is already covered within the basic cost of rental (at a minimum sum only), which incl. single vehicle accident & other waivers too, so u need not pay extra for insurance. Basically, everything will be discounted & included for you when u do ur booking. It's hassle free.

U can refer to this link for the excess reduction covered by Budget. They also offer a lot more protection like single vehicle accident, windscreen damage & collision with animals.. etc as compared to other rental companies, which mostly don't or otherwise offer only very limited protection.
http://www.budget.com.au/guidance/reducing_excess/default.aspx

To apply for fastbreak, just download the application form from their website, fill it up & send it back them to them. Will take abt 2 working weeks to process so just send in earlier b4 ur trip.

Hope this helps!
happy.gif

Hihi,
Me am going for a 6 days trip to perth in early april..Anybody can advise me?
I will have 3 nights stay in the city - Mont Clare Apartment and 2 nights countryside - Abbey beach resort
Anybody can roughly guide me thru
It's a self drive trip..I will have cars on day 3 till the day i return back to sg
Thks!

hi moonsky
juz suggestion..
1st day - mont clare apartment...just to rest after a flight and go to the king albert's park and around perth city

2nd day-perth city.. window shopping @harbor town or

3rd day-drive all the way to abbey beach abt 2.5hrs via Prth - mandurah- bunbury - buselton...u cannot drive thru albany cos it's a longer route...go out early so u stop buy some towns to go shopping for groceries..cos abbey beach not many groceries and shopping mall around...but a very beautiful resort. Just 2 hours drive south from Perth is the port of Bunbury.

Bunbury’s love affair with street art, harbour themes and indulgence of coffee and gourmet food has made the city one of Western Australia’s most thriving cosmopolitan cities.

In Bunbury be sure to experience the Koombana Bay dolphins. A group of up to 100 wild bottlenose dolphins live in the city’s bay and regularly visit the dolphin beach where you can swim and interact with the dolphins or take a dolphin watch cruise.
Cruise tours are available at 11.00 am and 2.00pm.
Swim Tours are available at 8.00am and 11.00am.

Head south out of Bunbury, to Busselton. On the beachfront, 7 km west of Busselton, towards Dunsborough, you will find Abbey Beach Resort.

4th day: Drive the length of Caves Rd and discover vineyards, galleries, forests caves and more. Visit the Cape Leeuwin Lighthouse and see where the Indian Ocean meets the Southern Ocean. There is always the chance to spot whales from the shore near the lighthouse from June –November.

For a taste of the coast, deviate from the road and discover tranquil private swimming bays, long sandy beaches or powerful world class surf.

Visit the Margaret River township, stroll the main street and explore the many boutique shops, enjoy a coffee in one of the many cafes, visit the Eagle heritage Centre.

5th day: Explore Busselton itself with all the shops and cafe’s you could want. Take a walk on the Southern Hemisphere’s longest wooden jetty or along the bay.

back to perth via fremantle

6th day: drive to airport

juz a rough guide.hope it helps

hi all, i;m planning for a trip in early may. is this a good time to visit Perth?
I wanted to bring my 3 yr old for a farm stay.. and would like to know for a 6 days trip... where will you recommend?

Thanks

hi Prisci,
I have 2 kids (2+ and 5), these are what they like in perth.
1. Strawberry farm. Picking strawberries. But they not may be in season. May want to check if there are other fruit farms which allow you go through the orchard.

2. Feeding the animals at the farm.
3. Cashervam Wildlife
4. Visiting Seal Island at rockingham
5. Dophins at bunbary
6. Chocolate Factory at swan valley or margaret river
7. If you are at fremantle during the weekend, the street performers are good
8. Swings at cottelsoe beach or the various beaches.
9. My kids love pie. So they did enjoyed miami bakehouse near mundurah
10. Toy R Us in perth. 8P
11. My 5 year old likes certain exhibits in the perth museum. They have good collection of space stuff.

hi Prisci,
I have 2 kids (2+ and 5), these are what they like in perth.
1. Strawberry farm. Picking strawberries. But they not may be in season. May want to check if there are other fruit farms which allow you go through the orchard.

2. Feeding the animals at the farm.
3. Cashervam Wildlife
4. Visiting Seal Island at rockingham
5. Dophins at bunbary
6. Chocolate Factory at swan valley or margaret river
7. If you are at fremantle during the weekend, the street performers are good
8. Swings at cottelsoe beach or the various beaches.
9. My kids love pie. So they did enjoyed miami bakehouse near mundurah
10. Toy R Us in perth. 8P
11. My 5 year old likes certain exhibits in the perth museum. They have good collection of space stuff.

Hi hopeac

Thanks.. I've been to that website previously but can't decide.. so was hoping to hear some comments from those who had stayed before.

Alternatively, I'm also considering accommodation in Cottesloe Beach area.. Anyone stayed in that area before, would appreciate your comments.
happy.gif

Thanks thanks

Hi,

I'm planning a fam trip wif my 2 gas (3+ & 5+) in May. Was thinking of taking night flight on 9 May (Fri), 01:20 & arrive the next am in Perth. My queries are :-

1) Is 7 days enough ? Would 9 days be too long ?

2) What am I suppose to do in Perth ? Been reading thru the archives till I'm very blur now. Sorry ya.

Would very much appreciate any advice. Thanks in advance.

Took my elder gal to NZ when she's 3+ & she's been very gd thru out the flight. Keeping my fingers crossed that this round both gals will be ok on their flight
happy.gif

Hi,
I am planning for perth trip in May. This is my first trip to Perth with hubby and son ( 4years), really has no idea how to plan for itinery.
Anybody can suggest? If you can provide as much as detail as possible, I greatly appreciated. We intend to drive there but also worry abt the road safety and directions there. Is it easy to drive around?

Hi unknown,

Tis thread seem very quite leh. Since both of us r going in May, why not we do some searching & exchange info ?

When exactly r u going ? For how long ? May i know which carrier u'll be taking ? I'm in the midst of checking here & there.

hi unknown,
It is very easy to drive in perth. Mostly straight roads out of the city. 8P.

hi Ma22,
If you are going for 9 days, I suggest you do the perth->albany->pemberton->margaret river->busselton->bunbary->perth route.

Hi hopeac,

Thank u so much for ur advice. I'm trying to digest as much info as poss. Btw, do u think 9 days is too long ? Or should I stick to 7 days (Arrive Sat am & dep Sat pm) ? Have to decide be4 i can plan further leh.

Hi Ma22,
I am planning to go on 14 may to 19 may. I am redeeming my SQ air tickets. I have been checking the lonely planets and frommer books. Actually, i am not too ambitous in my first trip. I hope to cover: king's park, Perth zoo, fremantle market (over weekend) and then Aquarium... (cannot remember the full name) and also farmstay for my trip. In terms of the distance, are these places near to Perth city? Do u think i shld stay put in one hotel and then plan for day trip to these places?

Hi Unknown,

I'm targeting from 9 to 17 May. Have not decided on the place to stay whether in town area or outside. But one thing for sure, I wanna visit The Pinnacles ! I wanna try sand boarding
happy.gif

Saw that Australian Pinnacles Tours operates tis kind of tour but it'd departs from Perth. As we'll be driving around, can anyone advice whether can we drive to Nambung National Park & join the tour from there ? Appreciate any advice.

hi everyone,

Glad to see all the suggestions about Perth. Can I just find out what stopovers can I take when I drive from Perth to Albany? 5 hrs seem rather long so I would like hubby to take a break.
happy.gif

I think there was mention of Mount Romance Emu Oil & Sandalwood Factory. But it seems to me that it is closer to Albany.

thanks!

Meagan,

If you are taking the Albany Highway from Perth, maybe you can take a break at Kojonup. You can visit Myrtle Benn Flora & Fauna Sanctuary and Kojonup Rose Maze.

Another town to stop after Kojonup is Mount Barker.

Hi

Just came back from a 10 day trip to Perth & WA. benefitted from this thread when planning and thot of contributing now that i'm back.

Swan Valley
- stayed at Vale B&B next to the Cuddly Animal Farm. Nice host tho' the room is small for us (husband, myself, 3 yr old DD & 7 mth old DS). But the farm is really nice, big and alot of different animals.
- Sittella wineyard & Valencia centre are nice areas for lunch.

Perth & Frementle
- Love the Kings Park.
- The Westfield Carousal @ Cannington is a huge shopping centre with late nite shopping on Thu up till 9pm.
- Subiaco/Hay Street - nothing much.

Busselton
- Stay at Blue Bay apartment. Lovely place (my favourite accommodation); clean and you have almost everything there (washing machine, pte yard to dry clothes).
- the jetty is a nice walk.
- Jesters pies there are nice too.

Margaret River
- Stay at Vintage. initially had a good impression but later at departure, was disgusted with this woman attending the counter who is totally rude and impatient with children. Tho' near the centre, it's up the slope and quite tiring if need to handle 2 kids. Becos of that, don't think we'll go back there again.
- Ate at VAT107 (overrate and expensive), Spaghetti Bowl (nice & reasonable priced).

Magaret River Area
- Lamonts Wine : wow, this estate is sooooo lovely. We arrived in late p.m. (their active period) and saw so many kangaroos hopping around the hilly area. what a view!
- Voyage Wine : very nice garden/landscaping.
- Xanadu/Leeuwin/Vasse Felix Wine : nice area but not particularly impressed.
- Fonti Farm : very nice ice cream, better than that of Simmo's
- Providore Farm : nice place for lunch as it sits next to their vege farm. I see chef coming out to pluck herbs and bring back for cooking! it's that FRESH! Very educational sight for DD who is interested in those veg growing there, eg. Eggplants, carrots, turnip, zucchini.
- Jam : if you are into jam, found 3 places that sell - Providore, Berry Farm and this deer farm along Cave Road (recommended by one of the winery staff)

Mandurah
- Miami Bakery : highly acclaimed pies but think it's overrated. ok only lah.

Hi, any comments about an indication of the cost of dining out in Perth & Margaret River region? Any average cost of a meal for each adult? I'm asking because did a few initial searches & it seems that the average cost for a main course for an adult is about A$30, which seems quite steep.

amber
eating out there is quite STEEP..maybe u can buy ur own groceries n cook if ur renting an apartment or a motel with kitchen....

hi amber

Yes, eating out in Perth can be pricey especially if you go for those Cafes/Restaurants. Ryatie is right, you could just cook. the supermarkets stock alot of ready-to cook stuff such as premarinated meats etc...so you just need to dump in the oven and grill.

If you not staying in apt, then I suggest eating Asian as the price is usually better (about $10) .

Thanks ryatie...Hmmm, i've already booked my accomodation for 3 places already & only 1 place has a kitchen. I didn't think of that earlier. Hmm..probably we'll bring our own portable travel cooker along then. Thanks!

Amber
I agree with ryatie and cake.
We normally cook at home.
If u want cheap food, there's a chix rice shop called Chilliz at Nedlands and at Waterford Shopping mall @ Karawara

IF u want a selection of asian food, u can try Thornlie area - for food. Where abt will u be staying?

Hi mngo, thanks for the recommendation. We'll be staying at 3 places- 1. Harvey, Bluehills Farmstay, 2.Dunsborough, Wyndham Resort & Spa, 3. Perth- Pension of Perth. Only Bluehill farmstay has a kitchen....the rest doesn't, so am thinking of what are some ways to cook for certain meals.

amber
r u driving? If ur adventurous enuff, u can stop @ some park along the way to albany as to bbq ur meat/seafood or grilled vegetables..i did tat..i bought my food stuffs @thornlie n just put them in the freeze bag like the ones u can buy fr daiso..

Hi ryatie,

Yes, we'll be driving but not all the way south to Albany though. BBQ at park sounds interesting. Do I need to get the items to set up the BBQ pits then?

amber
for me i bought aluminium sheet to put on the bbq pit, olive oil or butter, salt n pepper will du..may be use wooden chopstick so can throw away...it's free in Perth(but Brisbane must pay i think 50Cents..kekrkrkkr) juz press the button below for heat...wah lah u can start ur bbq..my dotter enjoy it...

amber
enjoy ur trip..miss my holidays liao....dun 4get 2 post sum pixs when ur back.....

mngo
so u enjoyin now...hhehehe..now winter vely COLD rite..yummy..i'm so HOT here...

For 10 years, I have yet to visit Perth. Last visit, I drove up to north of perth till Monkey Mia with my fellow friends. This time, I will be travel with my family, my parents, wife and 22mths old, boy. Intend to travel for 14 days, self drive. Any recommendations of itenary. I prefer to travel south, farmstay and only to north, pinnacles only. Contraint is my mum just got her knee operation two months back. Hence, need to consider her movement. Pls advise the accomodation too. Thks

Hi

I am planning a family trip to Perth during Oct-Nov period. There will be around 7 adults and 1 kid (my 22 mth DD.)
Am thinking of doing it F&E.
Is it possible to self-drive with such a big group?
What are the interesting places to visit for the young and old?
Any recommendation on car rental, accommodation and places to eat?

Hi Xuan
I wnt to perth with 6 adults n 1 child...self drive using tarago...quite cramp expecialli if u got no where to put ur luggage..it's better u rent a van instead or 8-9 seater car to give sum allowance 4 luggage or split into 2 cars instead.

ryatie22

There is only one driver among us, so the idea of 2 cars is not feasible. As for van, do we need to engage a driver? or one who holds a class 3 license can also drive the van?

Can share wif me your itineary for my planning? Many thanks
happy.gif

It will cost a bomb in australia to engage any helper.

The problem i foresee with driving a van is the stability, safety, when driving at high speed. Unlike Singapore, a commercial vehicle like van, lorry has no limit of speed. They can travel as fast as the road speed limit allow. Especially when out of the city area, the speed limit is 110 and traffic is low

And have to ensure the driver is of mature mentality. He must take into account that a van is not meant for speed and he's okay for anyone to overtake him.

Back