Perth Holiday - Any Suggestions/Advice/Tips?

duckweed

haha... i am abit early... anyways, i am planning for a holiday to perth this sep/oct with my hb and soon to be 2 yr old boy. was wondering if anyone can share any good sites i can visit to gather information on where to visit and also on accomodation suitable for young children.

many thanks in advance!

ixwong,
wow! wow! already booked ah? that's great! i should start doing my homework :p. how long are you going for? we are planning to drive around, so the site you have provided will come in handy. thanks!

Hi.
I am also going for a perth holiday late june/july. Wondering how the weather is like then. Hope it is not too cold for my then 10month old girl.

I was also eyeying the Pacific Suites too. It looks like it is near the shopping area, so that we can pop down for shopping and up to the room if baby wants to nap. Also has a kitchenette area which will be useful for preparing her food.

duckweed
Me super ks...:p We would be there for 9 days. Will spend 3 nights in Perth city before heading down to margaret river for another 4 nights (farmstay + B&B), then return to city before flying back.

Will also be driving around. For car rental, I'm considering either www.bayswatercarrental.com.au or www.m2000car.com.au. Their rates are the cheapest I can find so far.

msmummy
I think late june/july would be tailend of their winter but dun know details of temp. Ya, Pacific suites location is v gd, too bad they got no 2-bedroom and no car park....if not I would also book them.

msmummy,

Winter starts in June, so late june/july will be in winter. I was in perth in Aug2004, mid-winter. Temperature really depends on the weather. When we were there, it was sunny, so temperature ranges between 15-20 degree celsius. My friend was telling me that one week before I arrived, it was raining almost everyday! So with rainy days, temperature can be around 10 degree. Hope that helps.

Another website that you can check out to help you plan yr aussie trip is www.australia.com

<font color="0000ff">hey ixwong,</font>
I am also planning for my Perth trip in early July. But hor, I haven even get my air tickets. Have been really busy with work. I really wonder if I can go in early Jul.

I plan to stay in Perth city for about 2 days and then will head south to Margaret River. The last time I was in Perth, we drove down south too. Really love Margaret River.

Can share with me your intinerary?

ladies,

i went to Perth in early June 2006... the weather was cold.... 6 or 7 degrees celsius when we reach there.. n DD was happy that our mouth r 'smoking' when we talk... hehehe.... i make sure DD put on her thermal wear everyday...

the best part my DD enjoys is King's Park... the scenaries is terrific... plus the grass is cold n clean... we c children there playing rolling down the grasshill... i drag my DD to join in too... otherthan i feeling giddy.. it's fun... nw, DD keep on asking when will we bring her back to perth for rolling down the grasshill... make sure u try it when u r there.. frankly speaking, i think i enjoy the rolling myself too.... hehehee.....

fremantle is nice too... they serve popular BIG portion of fish n chips... there's a ship, jus like a pirates ship docked at the harbour n allow visitors to visit... DD was very happy to go up n keep on telling everyone back home that she had been on a pirates ship... AH-HOY-THERE..... hehehe....

DD is afraid of the smell of animals so we skipped the farmstay part... we did not go further than the city... we took the FREE transport CAT bus in perth to travel around... they r very convenient... n harbourtown perth is not to be missed.. if u want some shopping... a factory outlets for branded stuff.. like NIKE, etc... they hv a small Hi-5 merry-go-round... ur kids might enjoy...

we stayed in holiday inn city centre...

hope everyone enjoys their perth trips... Cheers...

Hi everyone,
I just came back from Perth. It was a great holiday! We stayed in Mont Clare apartments, which was comfortable, it had a kitchen so we could cook baby's porridge. Did not stay in Pacific Int'l suites after all, cos although they said that that we could park in the public carpark near by for $12/day, but thought that it would not be so convenient cos we were carrying so much luggage! Mont clare also had a washing maching/dryer in the bathroom, and had 2 grocery stores nearby so we could buy stuff. Also had a singaporean/malaysian restaurant one street down but we did not try that. It was also cheaper, cos we paid S$140 for a one bedroom apartment, which I thought was a good deal!

Then we went down south to Margaret River where we stayed in Quest Margaret River (expensive, but so nice, and so conveniently near town). This is not our first time there (in fact, my 4th time!) so we did not go about much, mostly it was to relax.

BUt I can recommend the Sunflowers Animal farm! Costs $7 per adult, children <2 free. You can buy a bucket of food to feed the animals at $2.50/pail. My dd at 10 months was a bit too small to feed the animals, but it was agood exposure to the chickens/ducks/horses/kangeroos etc. She laughed out loud at the funny lookng llama (looked like someone with a wig of funny looking hair!) Also friendly kangeroos that come up to you! We had a nice morning there.

As usual, we also went to the MR chocolate factory (love the free chocolate bud tasting there!!) and the dairy factory (free cheese tasting!) Do not drink much, so did not go wine tasting, but I'm sure those who do will love MR too.

DD was very good during the trip. We planned the trip around her schedule. As she sleeps well in the car, we drove around in the morning and afternoon during her naps and she usually woke up refreshed as we arrived at our destination.

Tip: diapers are much cheaper in the bigger supermarket Coles etc. We bought at the smaller supermarket and it was quite expsnsive! ($18for 30 pcs - large size!)

Bottled Heinz food is also cheaper there! Usualy $1.40 here, can get at $1.10 there.

If anyone needs any further advice on travel in Perth, I would be pleased to share more. Perth is a good place to travel with a baby!

Hi Sunny.

sorry for the delay in replying. had to check with dh about car rental. We booked Budget for 8 days, cost us about $500 for a large car (3.5L i think). Car seat cost about $33 for all 8 days. Was in OK condition (ie. used, but not worn out). I believe car seats are compulsory for children in australia.

If you dont need a car at the airport, discoverwest.com.au has good hotel packages that include airport-hotel transfers. But we didnt choose that cos we had so much luggage, preferred to load up at the airport- more convenient. I think pick/up and drop /off at the airport costs more too.

msmummy,

can share with me yr itinerary? i'm more ks here. will be organizing a holiday trip there in jun next yr with a group of 4-5 families with kids! so i need to gather as much info as possible. i've been to perth/mr once 10 yrs ago but alot of things must have changed now. although jun is winter season, it doesn't snow right?

any recommendation on farmstays is also appreciated. i've brought my elder gal to OZ a few times but have never stayed in farmstay before. thinking this time i shld plan on one so she can enjoy feeding animals with her baby sister.

finally... moved my lazy butt to get my perth travel plans moving a little.

msmummy,
thanks for all your recommendations.

accmodations in perth and margaret river all sorted out and booked. was not able to get montclare apartments (fully booked), so now going with medina grand perth (4 nights). also booked quest margaret river (2 nights). chose both because they come with king-size bed as our 2yrold boy will be sleeping with us. cannot imagine doing so on a queen-size.

have not decided if i'll be doing any farm visits, but will most probably vist sunflower as suggested by msmummy.

i have been scouring round various websites to look for cheap hotel rates... must say that i am now most pleased with octopus travel. they are the cheapest so far eg. for medina premier 1br, most sites are offering AUD185-200. i managed to get the 1br for SGD201. it is booked under travel agent rate, i think. even cheaper than wotif.

Hi Duckweed,

We stayed at Aaron All Suites Hotel (4.5 star) in central Perth in May this year with our 3yr old gal. It's a really convenient location, central to all atrractions. The 1 bedroom apartment is very spacious &amp; it also has a fully equipped kitchen. King size bed is also available on request or otherwise, a foldover bed will be assigned to u. It costs only $130-150AUD per night. In fact, hubby &amp; I have stayed there 4 years back in the studio apartment &amp; find it good that's why we chose to go back there again this time..
happy.gif

Here's the link if u might be keen:
www.aaronssuites.com.au

For farmstay, u can try The River Retreat at Swan Valley if u hv plans to visit there. It's a really great retreat for the whole family. Chk out their website at www.theriverretreat.com.au.

Have a great trip!

hihi claerwen, does Aaron All suites hv free parking?? 'cos we plan to do day trips out of perth but if no parking, would be quite expensive to park the car elsewhere. Thanks!

Hi Catz,

Yes, they do hv free parking for their guests but u need to pre-book in advance abt 2-3 mths or so cos the slots are very limited. So at the same time when u're making ur reservation for the apartment, u just need to let them know &amp; they will advise u on tt.

If the hotel parking slots are not available, u can always park ur car along the road, just beside the hotel (Victoria Ave), OR in front of the hotel along Hay St (more slots there). These parking slots offer free parking from 7pm-8am during weekdays (weekend is free for whole day). For daytime parking on weekdays, u need to pay depending on how long u want to park ur car there. Different slots have different parking time limit like 5mins, 1/2 hr, 1 hr..etc. Maximum is 2 hrs. If I'm not wrong, 45mins will cost abt $1.

For parking along the road, it will be good if u're out most of the day &amp; u're parking ur car for a short duration like 2-4 hrs or so. But if u'll be in ur hotel most of the day, it'll more advisable to park ur car at the public carpark slightly further up between Irwin St &amp; Pier St &amp; purchase a full day parking ticket ($12). It'll be much cheaper &amp; more convenient this way than running dwnstairs to pay every 2 hrs.

Hope it helps...
happy.gif

hihi claerwen, thanks so much for the info. Will try to book Mont Clare 'cos it will be a hassle having to worry about parking. BTW, for King's Park, is there free parking?

Snow, if you want cooling, u've missed the window 'cos it's best to travel there Aug - Oct for their 'winter'
happy.gif
Dec is flaky weather and Jan is pretty hot.. no choice for me, hubby couldn't take leave earlier so gotta travel in Dec. Hope the weather isn't too hot!

Catz,

No prob. When u going btw? U can always check with the hotel if the parking slots are available for the period u want &amp; if so, juz pre-book with them. I did that too when I book my stay with them a few mths back before my trip in May &amp; managed to secure a slot so parking is totally free. So if u book earlier will not be a prob at all.. dun hv to worry abt parking after tt, no hassle at all..
happy.gif

And nope, no free parking at King's Park. U need to pay..
happy.gif
So where else do u plan to visit in Perth?

Snow,

Mar-May will be the best period to travel cos it's autumn &amp; the weather is very cooling. Aug-Oct will be spring time &amp; it's also a good time to visit coz the wild flowers wil be in bloom then.. very pretty. Like wat Catz mentioned, Dec-Feb is summer time &amp; can get really hot there so better to avoid if u're bringing ur kid along..
happy.gif

Hi claerwen, I'll be departing 2 Dec.. yah I definitely will call the hotel 'cos I want to ensure cot availability. Sigh.. hope it's not too hot. Is the parking around Perth city v expensive??? Hope it's not killer like Sydney parking :p Planning to spend 2 nights out at Margaret River also. Perth - plan to take it easy.. maybe go King's Park, definitely hang out at Fremantle on Sunday, day-trip out to Caversham (maybe)... mmm.. not sure what else. Oh yah and the beaches of course!

Catz,

Paiseh, me remembered wrongly. Parking at Kings Park is actually free, except for the one beside the information centre which have maximum time limit of 1/2 hr for visitors popping by for information..
happy.gif

And it's actually quite difficult to find parking space in the city centre cos it's usually very crowded, unless u go some with multi-storey carpk ard NorthBridge area. And how much it costs depends on where u park cos different places will hv different parking fees even though it's in the city centre. But generally, it usually cost $1 for 45mins or so. Compared to Sydney, I think shld be much cheaper?
happy.gif

U visiting Swan Valley? If u are, Caversham Wildlife Park will be very intersting for ur kid as they'll get a chance to cuddle &amp; hold koalas as well as feed other wild animals like kangaroos, lambs &amp; koalas. There's also a Swan Valley Wagon Trial which will be fun for the whole family too.

Other must-visits at Swan Valley incl. The Margaret River Chocolate Factory, the Oggies Ice Cream cafe, where they sell delicious hand-made ice-cream as well as Edgecombe Bros- for their wines &amp; unique home-made jams &amp; marmalades..etc. Oh ya, the passionfruit butter jam there is really gd. U can't find it elsewhere..
happy.gif
And the muscat wine is also very cheap.

At Fremantle, remember to try out the Fish &amp; Chips at Cicerellos, it's really gd! The seafood there like prawns &amp; lobsters are also extremely fresh! And the E-shed markets there will be a gd place to get some souvenirs back.

In Perth City centre, The Harbourtown Shopping Centre at Wellington St is also a popular &amp; cheap place to shop. There, designer &amp; branded goods can be up to 60% off..
happy.gif

Further down from Perth, u can also visit fruit orchards like Raeburn Orchard at Armadale or The Old Goldfields at Donnybrook since u driving south. Can handpick some fruits in season for urselves, really fun.. =)

U can also bring ur kid for the Dolphin Watch/Swim Tour at Rockingham (just 35 mins drive from Perth), where they'll get to see &amp; interact with wild bottlenose dolphins. Will certainly be an experience for them. My gal really enjoyed herself there..
happy.gif

Further down at Busselton, there's also the famous Busselton Jetty which extends 2km out into the Indian Ocean. There's an underwater observatory at the end where u get to see different species of marine life deep down in the sea below. Kids will love it too.. =)

And further south at Balingup, there's a lavender farm there which is only opened from Sep to Apr. The lavenders will be in bloom then, very pretty. There's also a Lavender &amp; Berry farm at Pemberton near to Margaret River. Also a very nice place &amp; with lots more things to see. Besides lavender, u can also see raspberry &amp; blackberries. U can also handpick them when in season, which is from Dec-Mar.

For caves, there's a famous Lake Cave at Margaret River, only 20mins drive south. They're opened daily &amp; have guided tours to bring u in. Stunning views inside, really beautiful. And it's suitable for people of all ages..

Here's the link for these places:

1) Caversham Wildlife Park- www.cavershamwildlife.com.au
2) Swan Valley Wagon Trial - www.swanvalleywa.com
3) Old GoldFields - www.oldgoldfields.com.au
4) Raeburn Orchard - www.visitarmadale.com.au/orchards.php
5) Fremantle Markets - www.fremantlemarkets.com.au
6) Rockingham Dolphins - www.dolphins.com.au
7) Busselton Jetty - www.busseltonjetty.com.au
8) Balingup Lavender Farm - www.lavenderbalingup.com.au
9) Lavender &amp; Berry Farm (Pemberton) - www.lavenderberryfarm.com.au
10) Lake Cave - http://www.discoverwest.com.au/western_australia/margaret_river_caves.html
- www.margaretriver.com/pages.asp?code=101

Oh forgot to mention, there's also a Tumbulgum Farm at located at Mundijong, just 40 mins drive from Perth. Many activities u can do there, will be interesting for the whole family. Like watching &amp; participating in sheep shearing, milking cow, hayride, tasting traditional billy tea, BBQ lunch.. etc. For more info, u can visit: www.tumbulgumfarm.com.au

Lastly, if u need any further info abt other places or attractions, can always visit www.westernaustralia.com. There's also distance charts &amp; an online interactive map to help u plan out ur routes in advance, very useful..
happy.gif

Hope it helps! ;)

Wow, thanks claerwen! Mmm.. I remember Cicerello's from my last visit too. Heh.. my visits to Perth have always had v long intervals and this is the first time with a kid so a little nervous tt it will be too tiring. Thanks again
happy.gif
You've really been a wonderful help!

No prob Catz! How long will u be going for?? And how old is ur little darling? Little prince or princess? My little gal just turned 3 in Aug this yr...
happy.gif

Anyway, dun worry abt it okie.. u'll gonna enjoy ur trip..
happy.gif
We were quite nervous when we brought her there in May too cos she's only 2.5 yrs old then &amp; a little real terror. It's also her first time on an aeroplane.. &amp; ya, still gotta bring along so much of her stuffs &amp; necessities too. But surprisely, it was not 'disastrous' as we expected &amp; we really had a great time there. She actually liked staying in hotels so much &amp; going ard visiting interesting places tt she cried when she knew tt she's going home on the last day, haha. Till ow, she still kept bugging me to bring her to Oz again... :p

Anyway, me now also looking forward to our Gold Coast Trip next year. Will be the 2nd time for us there but 1st for her. Shld be a lot more easier this time now.. I hope.. keke... :p

hi,
I will be going there end of the month. I was thinking of lugging diapers there. Wonder what are the popular brands of diapers sold there.

We are driving down to margaret rivers. However, have not book any car yet. Which car rental company do you all recommend. And is northbridge accessible from train or buses? Don't intend to drive in the city center.

hi claerwen,
I am interested in the 2 orchards you mention. Do we need to pre book before we go? How to go about doing fruit picking? Do we just go in and ask? Or we need to book in advance.

hi there,
i hav booked my flights to perth for next march.
we'll be doing farm stay and driving to busselton jetty

hopeac
u can get huggies, pampers there. basically international brand. but more expensive lor.

Hi Hopeac,

Nope, dun hv to pre-book unless u're going for the guided tour at Old Goldfields, which requires a minimum group of 15 people..
happy.gif
When u're there, just them know u're interested in fruit picking &amp; they will advise u accordingly. Otherwise, u can also give them a call before u go to confirm. They have mainly apples &amp; pears there =)

For Raeburn Orchards, they have mainly apples, pears, pessimons &amp; oranges. But sadly, they no longer allow fruit picking now cos they're mainly dealing with export business. However, u're still free to wander through their orchard though &amp; sometimes, u'll be able to see the harvesting of fruits by the workers there. It's really interesting. Their orchard is also very popular with tour groups.

For cars, if u're looking for something cheap, u might wanna consider Bayswater or M2000. For us, we have always booked with Budget cos we liked their wide range of cars &amp; service &amp; there's no hidden costs which most other rental firm have (e.g excess damage, max distance u can travel..etc). They also have flexible &amp; attractive rental packages from time to time. My husband is a also fastbreak member so he's able to get a cheaper rate too. For our trip in May, we paid only $48 per day for a 2.2L Auto car (free upgrade from 1.8L), with unlimited kms per day, excess reduction &amp; child safety seat included. It's really cheap..
happy.gif

As for diapers, they have Huggies, Pampers &amp; quite a wide range of other local brands. Never really check that out when we were at the supermarkets cos we've brought enough supplies over. My gal is also diaper free so not much to bring too (only for sleeptime). Morever, never used their local brands before so not sure if it's really good &amp; suitable. Huggies is not really gd &amp; Pampers is also more ex. over there. So do not want to end up wasting $$$..
happy.gif

Hi Claerwen,

Thanks for all the info you've given. Really informative! Had been reading and helps a lot in my planning for my trip to Perth on 1 Dec. It's kind of last minute as I've juz booked my flt. Will be bringing my son (4yrs) there, 1st trip for him but 2nd trip for us.

Do you have any recommendation for Farmhouse stay. Have tentative reserved the Riverretreat which you had mentioned. Have you been there before? Also, any recommendation for stay in Margaret River, the Quest which was mentioned is quite ex but nice. Any good place to makan in Perth?

Currently planning my itinerary ... very exciting ... heehee! It will most likely be a visit to Fremantle (really like the place when I first been there), Kings Park, Harbourtown (is it worth visiting?) Also, a Farmhouse stay, Dolphin watch at Rokingham, Margaret River Choc factory, Ice Cream Cafe.

Thanks again!

Hi GreenPink,

Yes, we stayed at The River Retreat during our trip this yr. It's actually a very serence &amp; tranquil place cos Swan Valley itself is countryside &amp; also a wine producing region, so almost all accomodations there are similar in nature. It's a simple but nice cottage equipped with all amenities &amp; neccesities. There's also a children's playground, swimming pool, a swing under a tree &amp; a few farm animals like horse, pigs, sheeps &amp; chickens where ur kid can have a chance to feed them on request. We stayed there for only 1 night &amp; visited the nearby attractions like Caversham Wildlife Park, Chocolate Factory, Oggies Ice Cream Cafe &amp; The Swan Valley Wagon Trail..etc.

For us, we've already been to MR &amp; Albany regions 4 yrs back (but not Swan Valley) so we do not want to go back there again this time. That's y we chose to stay over at Swan Valley instead for our gal to experience a short taste of country life..
happy.gif

In fact, Swan Valley &amp; Margaret River are very similar in nature so if u're planning to stay over at Margaret River, u can prob give Swan Valley a miss. U can just do a short drive there from Perth City (since only 25 mins away) when u hv extra time to spare &amp; pop by for the attractions.

The last time we visited MR &amp; Albany, we did not stay over so really paiseh, can't give u any comments abt the acommodations there. However, I've heard good reviews abt the Quest as well as the Quay West Resort Bunker Bay &amp; The Waterfall Cottages from frens who've stayed there before, so prob u can chk out the other 2 too..
happy.gif

In Perth, there's actually quite a few restaurants in Northbridge area with a good mix of international cuisine. If u're sick of western food, u can prob try out Good Fortune Roast Duck House along William St (next to a Auto Master Carpk). We're not duck fans ourselves but a lot of my frens who likes duck told me it's really gd &amp; a must-try if u're there..
happy.gif

In Perth central, there's a Miss Maud Hotel at Murray St which serves delicious buffet breakfast, lunch &amp; dinner as well a wide range of cakes &amp; pastries (www.missmaud.com.au). There's also a Pier 70 restaurant cum cafe at Aarons Hotel on Pier St which serves delicious meals at affordable prices. And if u're looking for a quick &amp; cheap meal, there's a cafe along Victoria Ave just beside Aaron All Suites Hotel (where we stayed) which serves fully cooked breakfast &amp; many other snacks like sandwiches &amp; drinks. Lastly, if u're visiting Fremantle, the Fish &amp; Chips at Cicerello's is a die-die must-try, really fresh &amp; gd, keke..
happy.gif

For Harbourtown, we only went there on our 2nd last day &amp; abt 1/2 hr before closing time so did not managed to visit all the shops there &amp; did not buy anything too. But they do have a wide range of stores &amp; we also notice that some of the branded names like pumpkin patch are much cheaper than what u get here cos usually they're brand direct outlets &amp; more of off-price &amp; clearance stores. So if u hv time, juz pop by for a visit..
happy.gif

Oh ya, since u heading south, can also pop by McNuts WA at Baldivis to get some fresh macadamia products. They hv a very wide range to choose from &amp; they do hv gift packs too. U can also visit the orchard for a tour. Here's the link:
http://www.macnutswa.com.au/

Hope it helps! ;)

Wah claerwen, you really can become WA expert already.My boy is 22 months and I'm currently 6.5 months preggers.. so this is my last blast before my little girl arrives during CNY
happy.gif
Quite looking fwd to getting away from S'pore lah..heh. But at the same time, rather worried as my son needs 13 hrs of sleep and plus this is his first plane trip and being preggers, my hub has to shoulder most of the heavy responsibility.

greenpink
if u wanna stay at farm, my frens all recomend Bindoon Farm stay. Per pax is 122. and agencies tie up with this couple.

hi greenpink,
We are going to stay at the margaret river holiday suite,a 3 1/2 star place, at the heart of the margaret river town. (For practical reasons, we decided to stay in town) For deluxe king room, AUD129 dollars per night, with some cooking facilities. I am not sure how is the place, we are going end of the month only. What is your price range are you looking at?. Remember to look at the terms and conditions of the place you booking. Alot of places around Margaret River require 7 days notification period or else there is no refund. One thing I also noticed, that sometimes emailing the place directly may give you a better rate than online. You can check http://www.wotif.com and http://www.margaretriver.com/accom_rates.asp for the hotels in margaret river.

For Farmstays, there are quite a few. At margaret river itself, there is margaret river farmstay, for 2 adults and 1 child. I think will be around AU150 dollars. You can always try redgate farm which is more expensive. You can check out this site for the farms which are open for farmstay in the south west. http://www.farmstaywa.com.au/ .
Another farm which are popular with the self-drive singaporeans is Feurgson farm near bunbary, which charges AU129+ for 4. UOB credit card gives you a further 10 percent discount. For us, we will be staying at harvey hill farm ($AU148 for 4 of us) which is at harvey which is recommended by my friend who is staying in perth. Most farms I enquire charge around AUD120 to 180 for a family of 2 adults and 2 kids.

For dolphins watching, if you are not taking the boat out. You can check out the dolphin interaction zone at Bunbury in the mornings before 12 pm. The dolphins swim up to the beach swims up the beach in the mornings. It is $4.00 for adults and children is $2.00. They also have swim with the dolphins and boat tours at a higher price.

hi all,
nice to see lots of activity in this thread. we are back from our perth trip (was there from 23oct - 29oct). we stayed at quest margaret river and paid AUD175 for the 1br. quite ex, but no complaints about the room. very comfortable and spacious which is important as it allows my 25mth old boy space to run about and lots of room for our big luggages.

for those who are planning on driving down south from perth to mr, pls remember to give yourself lots of time along the way for stoppages to give your child time to have some break and roam around. we allocated 2 nights in mr, which was not sufficient. better to give a bit more time as the travelling there already took up a big portion of the entire day (around 5 to 6 hrs).

we didn't do any farmstay as i was afraid some of the farm accomodations may have smell. i hope some mommies can share if this is so... if there is no smell, i may consider farmstay next time.

we visited the sunflower farm and my boy had a really wonderful time feeding the many animals on the farm. you will get to hug the kangaroos too. he held chicks, hugged the big farm dog (who even gave my boy a lick on the face), fed baby cow, lamb, donkey, emu, pigs, etc. it was a really fun experience for my boy as he is an animal lover. till now, he can still recall the feeding experience.

forgot to mention, the weather is perth was getting quite warm when we were there. it was much cooler at mr. i even gave caversham wildlife a miss as the temperature was really too hot in swan valley.

do note that there will be lots of flies flying around as well.

Hi Claerwen,

Thanks for the info again. In fact, I've been to MR before and as you said it's quite similar to SV then I may consider skipping MR and visit SV instead. Another thought, frens recommended Pinnacles which I may consider visiting now if I'm skipping MR. My last visit, we travelled down south all the way to Albany.

Erm ...revisions to itin again, am trying my best to fit in so many places for my 5 days trip. This is more like a trip for my son than us and hopefully he will enjoy everything that I have planned.

Thanks for the recommendation of the many eateries. Miss Maud Hotel seems interesting with its many varieties of pastries (I luv pastries esp in 'ang moh' countries!) Oh yah, will def try the fish &amp; chips in Fremantle. Luv the ambience in this "ship like" restaurant. My last visit to Perth was almost 8 yrs ago but I simply can't forget Fremantle ...

hi greenpink,
You may want to check the temperatures for the pinacles. Becos base on the travel books, they say it may not be advisable to up north during summer as the temperatures can go up to 40.

Hopeac/Mngo,

Thanks for the recommendation for the farmhouse stay. Yah, frens too recommended Redgate (a bit ex), Kerriley &amp; Ferguson (all in MR vicnity). In fact, I have tentative reserved Ferguson already. Thanks for the info on UOB Card disc. Do we have to book it through UOB ? Depending on my itin (which I am still planning), may visit farm in either Swan Valley or MR. Haiz ... so many choices now, planning will be a headache !!!
Thanks for the info on Dolphin watch in Bunbury which is part of my itin.

Agree with duckweed that weather will be a killer as it's extremely hot as warn by frens and must splash loads of sunblock. Swan Valley hot huh, oh no ... then may have to skip my plan to go SV and head to MR instead. In that case, will visit Sunflower farm (guess my son will luv this place) instead of Caversham. Plan keeps changing ... keekkee.

Mngo,
Nope.., but it's my 2nd trip to WA..
happy.gif

Catz,
Congrats! Must be feeling very excited to be a mummy again...
happy.gif

Dun worry abt ur trip ya.. juz relax &amp; hv fun. Since it's self-drive, u can just let ur boy sleep in the car along the way, then let him sleep early when u return to ur hotel at nite..
happy.gif
My gal took some snoozes too along the way esp. when we travel far distances to places like Busselton. That's enuff to recharge her. And if she doesn't sleep much during the day, she'll automatically fall asleep like a little piggie by 8pm+ back at the hotel, surprisely. Cos that will never ever happen here in SG, no matter how tired she is, haha!

GreenPink,
Our trip is year is also more for my gal.. tt's why all activites &amp; places we visited are catered mostly for her :p Otherwise wld hv ventured even further up to Monkey Mia, which we have not been to yet..
happy.gif

For her, the feeding of the kangaroos &amp; the Dolphin Watch Tour espeicially, is the most memorable, cos it's the first time she actually saw live, wild bottlenose dolphins up close &amp; personal &amp; it's also her first trip out into the sea, so very exciting.. hee. It's really worth the experience..
happy.gif

And yes, Pinnacles &amp; the northern part of WA can get really hot in summer time so advisable not to go there now cos can get sunburnt easily, esp in Dec/Jan period. We went there 4 yrs back in May period so it's very cooling. It's a really beautiful place though. Weather will get cooler as u drive further down..
happy.gif

claerwen, a bit excited but also scared to go through the 9 poopy diapers a day with a newborn
happy.gif
Your daughter is so well trained and well done for getting her out of diapers so young! My son just isn't ready so we're stuck with lugging diapers around.

duckweed, oh noo.. think it might be pretty sweltering when I get there on 2nd Dec.. :p Hope the flies leave me alone! Oh no.. I also allocated 2 nights at Quest Margaret River :p Die lah..

Catz,

Haha.. dun worry, just take things as it comes okie, one step at a time.. dun give urself so much stress. Enjoy urself first before ur little princess comes along. I'm sure there'll be even more joy then!
happy.gif

As for my gal, she still need to wear diapers on the car esp. for long journeys cos very incovenient &amp; difficult to stop as &amp; when u like for her to pee, so still gotta bring extra supplies for tt, can't be helped.. keke.

For her, she was actually diaper free at 18 mths cos we potty trained her since young but even then, she doesn't like it &amp; always use the potty as a hat, so din expect her to be diaper free so fast too. So if u've oredi started training him, dun worry abt it, he'll soon be when he's ready..
happy.gif

claerwen, haha.. yah I guess I'm too stressed and frazzled, hence need the holiday to Perth!
happy.gif
My son only poops on the bowl in the mornings.. other than tt, he's quite happy to wet himself.

Catz,

It's gd enuff he's willing to poop in the morning.. keke. Slowly slowly lah..
happy.gif

Btw, do remember to bring a few of his favorite toys to keep him occupied. It's very useful at times..
happy.gif

catz,
looks like you are all ready. remember to request for some drinks from flight attendant prior to taking off and touching down. get your boy to sip-sip and that should help him handle the change in air pressure.

also, we brought along the toilet training seat cover so that we can use it at the hotel. otherwise, my boy's on diaper most part of the day. we brought pull-up pants, easier to change.

hihi duckweed, hope tt i am ready lah! just realised tt my baby has descended into the pelvic cavity so i'm peeing like 10+ times a day.. dunno how to make it up to MR! haha.. thought my kid would be the problem, end up may hv to pitstop 'cos of pee-ing mama
happy.gif

yeah those foldable toilet seats are such a great invention!
happy.gif

Back