Not producing milk after delivery

ongsher

Hi, I have delivered my baby 7 days ago & I'm still not producing enough milk for my baby. Went to see lactation consultant & was told to massage my breasts. Only after vigorous massaging then I'm able to squeeze out some milk with my fingers. But my milk is just not flowing fast enough & I'm not even engorged till now. & my breasts are not responding to the breast pump either.
Has anyone experienced this before? Any advice? I'm wrecked by guilt when I see my baby crying because my breast milk can't satisfy her.

Hi, I dunno if this is late.

To stimulate milk supply, you got to have the demand. So, either u keep latching your baby (which I think may not be a good idea since she gets frustrated with the lack of supplY) so, the best way now for u is to keep pumping. My supply was totaly cut off when I had blocked milk ducts after 2 weeks of breastfeeding. So, I pumped every 1 and half hourly to 2 hourly. One day, I can be pumping about 8-9 times. It sounds a bit obsessed but I was determined to get my supply back. I also took supplement like Motherlove's More Milk Plus, and drank lots of soup. My supply increased after 1 week of vigorous pumping. I was able to sustain and continued to bf till my son turn 1 yr.

A good breastpump is also very impt. I was using medela pump in advanced. i must say it is really a good pump cos i was a heavy pump user. I was pumping 8 times a day even tho my supply was good. It is still not late for you to try pumping vigourously. It may wear u out cos it did to me. but the results will be satisfying.

However, if u really are feeling very stressed and not feeling good, i think it is ok not to breastfeed. As much as we would like to give our babies the best milk, if it is putting a strain on you, then is ok to take it slow and go on fm .

Jia you!

Hi, I agree with Rachelle, i keep pumping every 2hrly ever since BB is born and even wake up in the night to pump. My first drop finally came only on 4th day and subsequently i only pump 20-30ml. But i never give up and keep pumping and everyday there is an increase of 10ml!! i reach 150ml every 3hrly pump after slowly build up too. Even though not a lot but sufficient for my baby girl in take for half a day. No total breastfeed for me but better than nothing. Jia you!!

Hi mummies,
I'm finally responding to the breast pump (using medela freestyle) but can only pump 20ml each time 
I'm taking fenugreek for 3 days already but still don't see any improvement.
It's getting harder for my baby to latch on now as she gets so impatient each time. I have to give in to formula to stop her from crying. Lactation consultant told me not to do that as it'll affect milk supply but I'm just so tired & at a loss whenever my baby cries for milk.
I'm just hoping that my milk supply will increase miraculously

Shernice,

Go get motherlove special milk blend. For my #1 I took fenugreek and there is a limit it increase my milk supply nia. But for my #2 I took motherlove speical milk blend and my supply was good.

Shernice,
Don't be too stress over bm. I do not have enough for my son and i took fenugreek and even domperidone but supply still low even with 3 hrly pumping. So i supplemented with fm and managed to bf partial till 7 mths.

Just give whatever you have. Not everyone is blessed with sufficient bm. I grew up with only 2wks of bm and still fine.
happy.gif

Shernice

How is it going on yr supply. Don't get too stress up. Just gave birth to my ds 2mths ago n was pretty stressed when 1-3 days after delivery I had no milk to feed him. However, I keep on persisting by having the baby latch on for even up to an hr on both side. Thereafter,I wld pump out my milk despite nothing came out. Also during expressing drink a cup of hot water it help to letdown better.

With all this diligent work u will see yrself in no time building enuff supply for yr bb. Rem to drink lots of water too. Warm water will help a lot. Btw, I hv also got a massage lady to help in massaging the breast n thereafter the milk flow was very fast when expressing.

I hv the same problem too, milk doesnt seems to flow and I just gave birth on 17apr. May I ask hw long do u all pump each time, I'm using Medela freestyle n nothing comes out, hand express a few drops only. My nipples will get so sore after pumping, anyone encounter tat?

Hi mummies,
You may try to visit Mdm Rokiah frm traditional & holistic postnatal centre FB and check on the vegetables that she posted to increase your milk supply. I had the same problem with very low supply till when googles about her service after saw many mummies that successful BF with her support. I went to visit her centre to have my breast massage and she share lots of tips and advise. So happy at least I could able to BF my bb till now.
Jute, you could try lansinoh breast cream for your sore nipple as its really help.

Hi jute 100

Each time I will pump abt 15mins but u may feel disappointed that sometimes nothing comes out but don't worry. The purpose is to build false demand as u know milk will only produce base on demand. Jus make sure u du rest well n drink lots of water n while u pump sip warm for simulating the let down. Finally feel relax
happy.gif

Thks for the advise.... Right nw I'm hvin lumpy breasts on top of my sore nipples. Lactation consultant says my nipples are really sensitive, areola area is hard and bulges up instead of flat so fr side view, it's something like a pyramid. Anyone hv the same shape as mine? Izit possible to continue bf wif such areola? I'm advised to rest fr latching till my nipples are better, clear my lumps thru massage and pumping every 3 hrly.... I even feel small lumps at the areola area. Anyone encounter this?

In short, I suppose my milk is trapped as it's unable to come out therefore I develop those lumps... On top of tat, my "unique nipples", dunno if I'm suitable to latch on anot... I'm in a dilemma if I shd give up? So depressing...

I have the same issues before. Why not go to those massage to clear up block ducts. It's helps for me.

Yup I had lumpy breast too after delivery n was very uncomfortable. So decided to check out this massage lady posted by other mummies in this forum . She assisted me by massaging the lumps thereafter I was able to bump out the milk and in a fast flow too.

I've been doing warm compress then massage the lumps then pump it out, 3hrly day time, however the milk juz doesn't comes out. Is mine considered as blocked ducts?

Her name is Mdm Ida . Her hp 94249829. She came over to consult my situation n charge me $50 for it. Though a bit x but I got what I wanted so I m happy with it.

I m not sure if yrs is a blocked ducts but perhaps if u r doing post natal massage . The lady may b able to assist. Just let her know abt yr problem

Hi,

Try lactation cookies. They contain flax seed, oats and brewers yeast. Worked for me. Quite yummy. Fenugreek worked too and ensure ur baby is latched on correctly. Plenty of fluids. A glass of liquid before and after feeding. Man! I get so parched after a feed.

Hi,
Do try Murunggai leaves or drumstick leaves. Can get from Little India if the market at ur place does not sell it. Cook untill very tender and eat. Supposed to increase libido for men as well, so share with husband!

Hi Mommies,
I have fbm dated 20th Feb 2012 onwards. Feel free to collect if keen. Collection at Old Airport Rd (Dakota MRT exit). :D
I'm 2011 mommy. I experienced blocked ducts when i first gave birth. Not much milk and so deprepressed. I kept trying till my nipple were sore and bleeding. A gf visited my place and show me the correct expressing method. While expressing, use your fingers to push outwards, along your breast. this will encourage milk flow. i did it, till my fingers were aching. And it helps. Every 3 hourly, i express.. 1pm, 3pm, etc.. It's very tiring as each session took half hourly. Even middle of night also need to set alarm to wake up and express. But you will see the result after few weeks. My supply increased from 50ml to 200ml per pump. Those lump is due to engorgement, meaning there is indeed milk inside.
Massage can help to temporary ease the prob. But end of the day, you have to do it right.
Hope above helps. :D

Hi mommies,
Been almost 2 months since I started this thread. Not too successful in boosting my bm supply. I took fenugreek but had no effect on me. I continue to pump every 3 hourly & the supply did increase, ranging from 50ml to 100ml everytime from the 3rd week onwards. (I had nothing in the first week after delivery, about 20 to 30ml each pump in the second week)
Unfortunately, my bm supply has decreased drastically after
my CL left & I started taking care of baby alone. I'm tired everyday & only pump 3 times a day now. Supply is so low that I need to pump 3 times to get 100ml. I plan to stop after I go back to work.
Initially I felt very depressed & guilty about not giving baby bm but I have gotten over it. I'm too tired & stressed taking care of baby alone & my hubby is not very supportive, still expects me to do housework. I really have no energy & time to pump or let baby latch. I figured that there's no point creating additional pressure on myself over bm.

Hi,

I tried lactation cookies for low supply. Helped me a lot and they were quite nice to eat too. A lil ex but worth it. First day, ate abt 5, then abt 2 to 3 after that. Helped a lot. They also sell nursing teas. Take that when my cookies are done. Good rest and plenty f fluid helps. Not sure, if anyone experienced this, my supply goes down after being on laptop for long.

Hi Shernice. I can understand how you feel. I encountered engorgement even this was my second birth. I had to keep massaging and pumping every 2 hours till my breasts were almost bruised and I only got 10ml. I managed to clear the lumps after good massages from my wonderful hubby but supply was still low (only 20 to 30ml). I keep latching and pumping every three to four hours, even woke up few times at night till now. Now can pump 80 to 100ml, sometimes 120ml. Though not alot, it's more than enough for my baby ger. There will be 3 to 4 bottles waiting for her, now she is in total bm. I tired drinking sacred tea and lots of red date tea. Keep trying but don't stress yourself. You can do it!!!

Hi Catherine,

I'm not breastfeeding my baby anymore. Supply totally stopped when she was 2 months old. (she's 3 months old now).
Wanted to continue trying but only a few drops came out & that was it. My hubby also asked me to stop, saying that I'm milking a dead cow!

Shernice, dun be disappointed. I faced e same situation like yrs. partial bm till 2mths and stop as I nvr hv any engorgement at all!

My boy is now 19mths and he seldom fall sick! Fm bb is as strong as those on bm..
happy.gif

Thanks Rainbow! Yup I came to terms with it as well.. But somehow when I tell people I stop breastfeeding already, they will always ask why did I stop, bm is best for baby etc. They don't understand that there are people who just don't have bm. Like you, I also never experience engorgement at all. Took supplements also no use. 

Shernice, dun care about what other people ask or say. Just be yourself and you yourself know that you have tried your best all this while. I felt guilty too when I managed to bf my first ger for three months only. But I knew it's not I dun want, it's because milk is just not coming out. I had tried my best. You are a wonderful mum, you still deserve a pat on your back! Take care of yourself and your baby from now on and you will be fine. Jiayou!!!

Hi mummies

i have EBM to give away.my baby is 4 months old.i don smoke or drink.have healthy diets.still taking fish oil,calcium and iron supplement everyday.my fridge is full.i Wish to give them away to mummies who need it.i don wish to bin them.

If any mummy that doesnt mind pls pm me.

Yes, motherlove more milk plus is good! The liquid are better than capsules. I have a unopened bottle. SMS 96155333

Back