Mummies in Shanghai

u gals make my future life in Shanghai look optimistic! looking forward to a no cockroaches apartment

btw can ask how do u all wash the vege at home? use filtered water or mineral water? i read must use mineral water for making soups ??

i use the mineral/distilled water for all cooking and washing of food. But for vege and fruits, i use a cleanser for vegetables as well. Guess its the Kiasu Singaporean in me.

However, I only managed to find the Combi one over here and they sell it everywhere - the juvenile mall on Huai Hai Lu, King Joeut in Gubei Carrefour and at Toys R Us.

If its for baby, I feel better to first wash with the cleanser first, then dip in hot boiled water just to be safe.

Hi Van

PMed you already! email me ok??

happy.gif

miso,
water for consumption incl soup i prefer to use the bottled water. either distilled or mineral which i rotate between the 2. for washing ingredients i use the filter tap in my kitchen sink. yes, all units in my compound have tis on the kitchen sink. have to change the filters according to the recommendation. fruits n veg i pre-soak with fruits n veg wash. can get "kami" brand from most supermarts.
btw, carrefour is not a good place to buy meat. i didnt get from them after hearing stories.

I not very used to the idea of washing vege and fruits in `detergent`..
sad.gif

think i need to overcome this....
very worried about the food after all the negative news reports...

Hi,

i have been using filtered water for drinking, cooking and washing of veg. So far so good. No chlorine smell or funny taste. I normally buy organic veg for my son so i didnt use any detergent for washing (Although i dont know how organic they really are, but i guess just got to think they are)

Vanessa, are you still breastfeeding your bb or is she on formula now? Not sure if your PD mentioned to you that it is not good to use mineral water for formula cos the mineral from the water, together with the mineral in the milk powder might be too heavy for bb. Best is to make formula with distilled. Drinking wise is not a problem.

Hi Tailwhack, would very much like to meet up sometimes for coffee or tea too. Will PM you my contacts later
happy.gif

miso, i'm staying in La Cite. My son has never seen ants til we go back to SG for holidays. haha....

I must be one of the brave ones then. For cooking, bottled water is used. But washing-wise, I just use tap water. :p

tailwhack, where in CN do you live?

hee...rayb, always the friendly one
happy.gif

count me in for coffee/tea/lunch! Me going to be very free from next week onwards!

Hi emmie,
went to take a look at La cite..looks very good but too bad not located in the area I am searching in. We have to live to Gubei area due to comapny reasons.

i think we need to buy lots of mineral water/distilled water when we live in Shanghai...my son is still drinking formula now and I think i will take advice to use distilled water..thanks

can we get any good fresh milk in shanghai ?

miso, Gubei area not bad... but cos we don't have company car or transport allowance, staying in xujiahui area more convenient for us.

we use 1 and 1/2 bottles of the mineral water (the big ones) each week...my boy is still on formula as well...so that contributes to the usage. :p

Van - if Carrefour not good for meat, what about City? Is the meat from Lian Hua ok?

Rayb - yes yes, we should all meet up!!

Emmie - I am living on Zhen Ning Lu (Oriental Court a.k.a. Dong Fang Ya Yuan). Its near Hua Shan Lu and also near the Hua Shan hospital. Are you close by?

I don't have driver/company car like you. How do you guys get around? My husband quite particular - insist that i lug the car seat wherever i go. That is such a deterrent for me to go out alone with baby. He claims that the SH taxi drivers are insane - which is sort of true lah, haha

Miso - we normally get Guang Milk fresh milk - which is not bad. However, they don't have things like Hi-Lo over here. So everything is full fat. Unless there's one that I'm unaware of. Nothing tastes quite like Magnolia of course.

tailwhack, was told City's meat is much "safer". I've bought from them since our little one started semi-solids. so far no problem with the quality. not sure abt lian hua tho.
we also dont have a car nor driver. when #2 was in the newborn stage, i lug her ard in the rocker cum carrier. until she's able to sit up with support i use ergo n put her in travel booster or highchair when we eat. stroller is a no-no unless i'm out shopping whole day. now in taxi, i juz keep her in ergo.

thanks for reminding, Rayb
happy.gif
yes i remember hearing abt mineral contents may be too strong for infant kidneys. S is still nursing away with few occasion sipping gorgor's UHT
happy.gif

wahh.. but its so heavy to lug around! how did you manage!!

ergo is a car seat system thing also? i use a peg perego and the seat/carrier on its own is already so heavy!

ergo is the infant/toddler carrier, like those baby bjorn, etc
happy.gif

the rocker cum carrier i had wasnt heavy. with a newborn is manageable. juz put her down on the floor when i'm sitting or tired hahaha... but once she passed the 5kgs mark i gave up. put her in the sling while carrying the empty rocker. felt so relieved when she started to sit up.

tailwhack, you are not staying that far from me. Do you know Grand Gateway (Gang Hui)? We can always meet there. ;)

Normally with the kid, we will definitely take cab. Cheap here! But yes they drive like crazy. But better to be driven than to drive...

Hi hi

Sorry for the lapse. Yes, I have been to Gang Hui and its not that far from where I am. I suppose I am between Gubei and Gang Hui. Hahaha

Am happy to meet up there
happy.gif

tailwhack, send me a pm? your setting don't accept messages. Then we can arrange for a meetup with Van and Rayb as well.
happy.gif

hi hi, am already in shanghai and is back to sing in march for holidays. i will be back to shanghai first week of april. let's keep in touch and meet up when am back. my email add is rachelstham@hotmail. it is really great meeting up with singapore mummies in shanghai. i stayed in jingan area at puxi side.

Hi
Glad to have found this thread. I will be moving to SH next week and will be staying in the Puxi area. Probably Gubei.

Would like to meet up with any mommies around the area. PM me!

Can anyone share some info on schools. I would like to send my kids to a bilingual school near Gubei? I have a 4YO and a 2YO.

Thanks!

Hi ladies!

I am due to move to Xi an(city of the terracotta warriors) in June. I understand that most of the ladies here are based in Shanghai; just wondering if any of u might have moved to Xi an or know of SG ladies there.

Cheers! Gong Xi Fa Cai!

Hi All,

I will be moving to Shanghai with my hubby and my 16 months old girl.
We will most likely be staying in Qibao town.
Could mummies here give me some advice on ;
1) what to bring over from SIngapore and prepare myself for staying long ( 2 years)?
2) what to bring for baby? ( Planned to move in August)
3) What to take note when preparing milk and food for baby?
4) which supermarket do you frequent to buy baby food ?
5) my baby is drinking milk powder, Wakadoo. Anyone knows where to get that in Shanghai?
6) Does any of you drive?
7) Rental of apartment- when should we start to place deposit as we plan to move in August?
8) Plan to place my girl in Shanghai Singapore International school. Any feedback about that school?
9) Do you mummies use stroller? I thought of brining my Quinny stroller. Will that be useful?
10) For winter, does your baby has any cold rash breakout? If yes, what is the treatment?
11) Which paediatrician do you all frequent? Any insurance to purchase?

Thanks!

Hi,

My hub is currently considering a job in Shanghai, and there are a few things we'd need advise frm you mummies there now.

We hve a boy almost 3yr-old, and a girl 3mth-old.

1. How's the hospital/clinics facilities? Any good family doctor and PDs to recommend?

2. Any 24-hr clinic there?

3. My boy is taking Pediasure, is it easy to find there? Is it expensive? Read abt the milk powder cases there, am abit worried.

4. Any schools to recommend for my boy? Is their security in the school tight?

5. Any playgroup I can bring my girl when she's 6 mth-old, heard there's a Julia Gabriel there, are they good?

7. Housing- Any recommendation for rental of a 4 bedroom apartment? What to look out for? Where?

8. I have a myanmar maid, would like to bring her along, how do I go about doing it?

9. Are the places child-friendly?

10. What to prepare for the children as if we're going, it should be ard November. My boy has eczema.

11. Was told not adviseable to drive, but to get a car and a chauffeur. Is it true??

Thanks so much.

Dear mummies,

As my posting in Shanghai has ended early, I have 5 cans of Enfac Stage 3 (1-3yr) milk powder to go. Expiry Date is 7 Jan 2012. Please contact me asap as I'm leaving Shanghai on 17 Jun. Letting go @ $50 per can. You can contact me at +8618 7210 88741.

Hello mummies,

Been reading all these posts and regret that I have missed out on such a good network all these years!

My husband has been in SH for quite a period of time. I will be visiting him soon. Hope can meet up with some mummies. My husband is staying at Hongqiao, Puxi. We have 2 girls, 4YO and 11YO.

My past SH visits had been boring. Hope the next one will be a meaningful one.

Cheers!

Hi mummies,

My hub has accepted a job offer in Shanghai and is already started work this week. Me and the kids (3yr-old & 4mth-old) will be joining him in end Oct, we'll be staying in Pudong, any mummies staying near?? Hope to meet some mummies.

Hi, am staying at puxi. I am available to meet some of the mummies fr Singapore. PM me if u are interested n let's organize an afternoon tea. Rachel

hi muddypie, my hb also in Shanghai now, most likely will get apartment in Pudong. but i havent decided if i should go join him, as i have a 4 yr old and also giving birth soon in 3 weeks. not sure if i can cope by myself there plus i have a good job here in Singapore.

r u a sahm now? r u going to look after them yourself in shanghai? was it an easy decision for u to move?

Hi sy,

Maybe you can join him after bb is 6mth, that's what I'm doing now, waiting for bb to finish her vaccination, then I join him there.

Yes, I'm a sahm now, so it's much easier for us to make the decision. And moreover, our children are still very young, I guess it's really very difficult for you if you hve alrdy have a good job here, but maybe you need to set your priority. Or you can go over to shanghai and get a job there.

hi muddy pie, thats my plan too, wait for 6 mths before deciding. my hb also says to give him some time before he decides if he wants to stay there for > a year. is it tough for u to cope now without him in Singapore? especially with 2 kids now......

lets keep in touch. i may make a trip there in oct, and can meet up since we are all in pudong area...

Hi SY and Muddy Pie

I would suggest SY join your hubby later. That's what i did last time. It took me a year actually to decide because i have great job and support in Singapore. My hubby flew back and forth. I am now a SAHM in Shanghai and i flew in after a year. It's good for you and the baby. I must say that the air and support here are not as great so it is better for your bb to grow a bit older ie ard 6 mths before you bring him/her to Shanghai. I have a 3 YO daughter. I brought her over at ard 20 mths...

Let's meet up. I am in Puxi but i can always travel to Pudong or we can meet in the middle.

Take care. Rachel

Hi rachel, thks for replying. Was it tough for you to cope for an entire year without your hb in Singapore? Thats my concern. and feeling bad to leave him there alone, and to fly up and down.

Hi sy,

I must say it's not too tough cause I'm currently moved in with my parents and I've got a good helper with me to tend to my kids. However, it's still pretty taxing cause many things in regards to the kids like bathing them, feeding the baby, changing diaper.....esp my younger girl is very sticky to me, and now my older boy is sick, so also very sticky. If only my hub is around he can help me with one....sigh....

Anyway, I'll get by it. Now looking forward to 2 weeks later, cause hub coming back to visit.

Yah, would be happy to meet up, do pm me your details.

Rachel, tentatively we'll be flying there on 30th Oct, we can meet up maybe around Nov when we've settled in, will get in touch with you again when I'm there.

Hi SY/Muddypie

I live in Shanghai for slightly more than 3.5years. Currently staying in Pudong, Lujiazui area, near where Muddypie is going to stay in future.

My husband was here alone for about 1 year before my son and myself finally joined him. My son was abt 6mth old then too. I have friends who came with their kids when they are before 6mth old and are managing well too. An "Ayi" (maid)will be of great help here if you have 2 kids...
happy.gif

Rachel,
you sound familiar, may have already met up with you in some mummies' gathering..haha. Anyway we can always meet again someday
happy.gif

Hi Rayb, let's meet for brunch or lunch next week, shall we? We shd meet up since we are fellow countrymen... keke. Am here for 2 years and before that i came to Shanghai before and was staying at Pudong side. Now am staying at Puxi. Are you with Shanghai mama group too?

SY, replying to your question, am very used to my hub being away as he always travel frequently so i dont have an issue with him being away. I am quite independent. This is something we have to learn as well when we are here in Shanghai. Even am in shanghai, my hub travels domestically. Having a gd helper ie Ayi and friends here would be of a great help. Initially i struggle but now am better. You need more than half a year to settle here in his cosmo big city. I found it very very different from Singapore. I complained most of the time when i stayed here at first but now i learnt to adapt and start liking this place... Hope this helps. Rachel

hi all, thanks for advice, i will wait for at least 6 months before deciding...since 2nd kid is not even born yet. You ladies are so strong and independent..guess i am still adjusting.

btw, wanted to ask. Is it better to choose a higher floor because of mosquitoes? My husband went to look for apartment yesterday - need to choose between 7th floor (bigger 2 +1) and 29th floor (smaller 2 bedroom). I think its Yanlord Riveria..any advice from Rayb and Rachel? thanks...

Hi rachel, sure i will PM you my contacts later. How about we meet up on Thurs? Will you be bringing your daughter? if yes then i will bring my son. My son is now 3.5years old

SY, Yanlord Riviera is not far from me too. For Summer higher floor is preferred,esp Yanlord has got lots of green. i do think 7th floor is not so bad compared to first 4th floor. Just make sure the house's window all comes with mozzie/fly screen

Hi,

Anyone had tried shipping milk powder over to Shanghai, cause just found out frm the freight-forwarder that we're not allow to ship milk powder, how?? Really don't trust the milk there. Any advise?

Yap. China custom had restrict milk powder importation. You can try taobao.com to see if your milk powder is available from these seller.
Usually they bring the milk powder in themselves.

And their diapers are not the same quality as in Singapore. So , try to bring as many diapers or your own.

Hi kang kong,

Tks for your reply.

Who frm Taobao did you get the milk powder from?

Will take note on your advise on the diapers.

hi mommies in shanghai
my sis & i will be goin to shanghai first time ever. we will have 2 v young babies (2 months old) with us and a toddler
(2.5yrs old). just wondering if there are nice children friendly placed to shop or eat & what can we do? thanks

(btw we will be putting up at pudong area and will be there for abt 1 wk. its our first time to shanghai)

Hello Shanghai
Just arrive here in June and still very lost cos Hubby is in a traveling role so hardly around. Brought along 2 kids, 4yrs boy n 8mths old girl, so now a SAHM. We r now staying in Changning, Yanlord Riverside Gdns, and though there is a big SG community here, it's hard to fit in cos they have been ard for sometime n r a bit cliquish. When my son goes to sch, I do hv a bit of spare time to meet seasoned mummies around this area. Please let me know when there are mummy gatherings where newbies r welcome
happy.gif

Hi Alison,

I'll be leaving for shanghai 30th Oct, I have 2 kids, 3yo boy and a 6mth gal, will be staying at pudong side, am a SAHM too. You can pm me your contact.

Hi mummies...

Wow! I'm learning so much just by reading this thread alone! Thank you very much! I'll be relocating to Shanghai mid of next month with hubby n a 20-month girl. Will be a SAHM. Hope to meet some of you.

Need your inputs on the following:
1. Anything I need to prepare or bring esp for baby and esp for the approaching winter? Seems like many things we have here in Singapore are not found there.

2. Housing. We'll only be house-searching when we get there in mid nov. Hope to find a suitable one before it turns really cold. Any guidelines you ladies can give in regards to looking for an apartment? We heard it can get really cold in winter so anything in particular to look out for?
We'll be looking ard Xujiahui area cos hubby's office is there.

The last time we went up for a recee trip, we viewed houses and thought La Cite, Oriental Manhattan, Novel (yong xin) garden n Xu Hui garden are quite probable. Any comments on the above? Oriental Manhattan quite far from a supermart n metro station. Any mummies staying there that I can find out from with regards to supermart proximity?

3. As we r intending not to ship too many things there, we are going to be busy shopping for things in the first few weeks. Is there somewhere like a baby hypermart where I can get baby n children stuff? What about the best places to go to stock up on electrical appliances n kitchen ware?

4. Have you tried groceries delivery services? Saw some organic grocer's website... Seems quite common to order and have them delivered. Are they generally much more expensive than what you pay for in the supermarts?

I know I've asked a handful of questions... Hee... I've not been to China other than the recee trip n have not lived overseas before... So feeling quite insecure esp lugging a baby. Any advice or tips will be appreciated.
happy.gif

hi...am not staying here long term but came here for 3 weeks to visit my husband
Cant really help on accommodation but for kids' clothes, you can go to this place called Ni Hong Er Tong complex (Pu An Road in Puxi) to get all the winter clothes..one stop place. But they only sell clothes, not diapers, bottles etc...

hope this helps.

Hi,

I've just arrived in shanghai last weekend, hope to meet more mummies from Singapore. Do let me know if there's any coming gathering.

Back