Mummies in Shanghai

emmie

Hi...any Singaporean mummies living in Shanghai now? wondering how to survive as a SAHM in Shanghai as I have never been there and never had any overseas stint before. Any one to share their experience?

Hi...I'm a SG mom based in Shanghai as well. There are quite many SG moms in Shanghai. Are you currently working and going to be a SAHM there?
How old is your child?

hi furryfurry

yup, i'm currently working... going to quit my job soon to join my husband in Shanghai. My baby is 6 months old. I'm excited yet apprehensive at the same time. Hoping to know more pple there.

Are you also a SAHM there? or working there? how old is your child?

Hey Emmie,
Err, not sure if its too "harsh" but do be prepared for the transition to stop work. Personally, I feel its tough to stop work and move to a new environment
happy.gif

I'm currently on maternity leave. yes, working there. my child is coming 3 months
happy.gif
Wanna chat via IM or email?

I can introduce you to the other moms in Shanghai. I would say 99.9% of moms in Shanghai are SAHMs...so you'll be in good company and they are a fun bunch of people.

When are you heading over? Any ideas on where you'll be living?

Emmie,

I was in SHA earlier..and I am now back in Singapore. Like Furry, my baby is 3months+. There is a fair amt of adjustment to make. Agree w Furry that it is definitely not easy being a SAHM in SHA, if u have been a working mummy here. Do you know where you will be staying? If in Pudong, I can introduce you to a bunch of mummies who meet up regularly in Pudong.

Hi Chin and Furry

ya... the adjustment would be quite tough given that i have been working all along. But got to learn/try to adapt i suppose as i don't want a long-distance marriage and it will take a while before i can trust someone else to take care of my son. Currently my mum is helping me. Just curious, were your babies born in Sgp/Shanghai? hee...thinking far ahead...

I will be coming over in mid-April and would be staying in Pudong, near the Long Ya Lu Station.

would love to get to know more pple. Otherwise my hubby would be driven crazy by me staying at home all day. :p

furry, you don't accept PM. so can you PM me and we can chat from there? either IM/email.

Chin, are you back in Sgp for good?

Emmie,
My daughter was born in SH
happy.gif
I had a marvelous experience there...that I don't think I'll ever get to experience had we chosen to birth here. No worries...not that far ahead la..just that more help may be neccessary with kid number 2...so err..home may be better as we can offload out 2nd one.

Ok..I'll drop you a PM
happy.gif

Hi Emmie,

Are u moving to Wan Bang Du Shi Hua Yuan? Opp to Longyang Lu station?? If you are, I can tell u lots abt the place, cos I lived there for a year, before moving to Jinqiao.

I came back to deliver my baby here when I was in my third trimester. Then, decided to stay on, cos find that I have better family support here. My hubby is still in SHA, but he comes back every month for abt 10 days each time. So not so bad..though not ideal.

Hey - feel free to ask any questions. I can totally understand your apprehension.
happy.gif

hi ladies,
did you all locate to shanghai due to work committments (spouse/yourself)?
Is it difficult to find job in shanghai?My hubby's doing his PhD, thinking to stay in Shanghai/Beijing for a year or so to do research.
We are in UK now, don't know how it'll be relocating from a English-speaking to Chinese/Shanghainese speaking environ...sigh...

Hey Liz,
I relocated from US where I was working to Shanghai as my DH was there for many years due to his work. Job wise, it depends on what kind of job you are looking for and also the kind of renumeration that you are expecting. IMHO, it definitely is not easy to move from a first world to third world country. Can give it a try la..since its only 12 months
happy.gif

Emmie/Liz, for some idea on how life is in SHA, u may want to check out this site. www.shanghaiexpat.com

I made some good friends from this site - and we remain good friends until now.

I relocated becos of hubby - but was doing own biz, and some lecturing on weekends. It was quite a huge adjustment for me - but there are many people in the same boat, so that helps.

Hi Chin

My hubby confirmed that we would be staying at Wan Bang. Any advice would be greatly appreciated! :D

Dear all

I'm also an ex-SHA SAHM for 8 yrs. Returned for 2 yrs. There are a few of us & we get together once a while to mesmorise of our shopping days in SHA. Maybe next round I host I invite you all!

Hi All

I'm a working mum working in Guangzhou. Any of you know of someone who is also in Guangzhou? I'm currently expecting my third child EDD 23feb07. Planning to return to sg to deliver. Any of you had the same experience?

I'm now worried about the airline asking for the doctor's cert, which I don't have cos I don't plan to see any doctor in Guangzhou. My encounters with them so far have been far from good.

just wondering if u have singaporean mummies/friends in Beijing.. pl pm me cos my friend is moving to Beijing to join her hubby next year and would like to know some one there..thanks

My situation is a bit different here. I plan to be relocated to Shanghai. I will be working and my hubby will be working from home. How's child care there or getting domestic help? My baby is now five months and my mum is looking after him while I work. Worried about baby though. How about medical?

hi mummies,
for those who are staying in shanghai or have hubbies working in shanghai, can you please recommend to me a good 4/5 star business hotel that is conveniently located. This is for my work purposes. TIA

Mommies in Shanghai,
do u hv any places to recommend for buying children clothings in shanghai, Puxi?

otherthan Qi-Pu-Lu? i know this place is famous!

hi to all mummies in shanghai,

my hubby is going to work there this mth, my babies and i will be joining him this may, i m very worrried and concern about being a SAHM there, any gd advice........

hi freshies,

i think i've the same concern about getting a domestic helper as you, any gd recommendation from anyone or advices.......

Hi VQ
You should try PuAn Lu children's market. It has a better range I find.

Hi Mavis
Saw your PM. It's great to be a SAHM in shanghai. Will have lots of company there cos there are alot of Singaporean mummies there who are also not working... which area would you be staying? As for domestic helper, best if you can get recommendations from friends/colleagues who are already there. Currently mine who works for me in the mornings (Mon-Fri) also works for my husband's colleagues.

Hi Julie
Better to get the shots done in Singapore as it would be quite expensive to do it there. As foreigners, we would rather go to the expat clinics but it costs a bomb. So medical insurance is very important. Think the minimum age for child care centre is 18 months.

<font color="ff6000">VQ &amp; Emmie</font>,
Oh yeah, I sure miss Pu An Lu market. They used to be cheaper.

<font color="ff6000">Mavis</font>,
are you joing us tmr for gathering @ Globaltrotter 3:30pm ? If yes, I can share with you more on life in SHA. I live there for 8 years.

Hi, I will be going to Shanghai in Jul as SAHM too. Glad that i found this threat? All of you still in Shanghai? Just like many of you intially, i have lots of worries and concern. My son is now only 4mths. Any good advise for my relocations?

Hi Rayb

I think this thread is no longer active.

If u want, u can PM me your queries n I'll try my best to help u
happy.gif

Hi Shmum,

I am not able to PM you cos its not open for acess. Can i have your email address? Alternatively can you write to me at [email protected]? Thank you so much for your response
happy.gif

hi rayb
which part of shanghai will you be staying?

hi shmum
are you in shanghai now? weather getting hotter hor?

Hi Emmie,

yah...the dreaded summer will be here soon..n together with it the dreaded mosquitos...r u staying in puxi or pudong?

Hi Rayb and other mums in SH

I'm also relocating to SH, around Aug / sept. Hope to know more people. Looking for apartment in downtown Puxi. Will look for school and apartment in June. Really hope to meet some of you in SH. Also currently a WOHM in SIN but going to be a SAHM in SH.

Hi Emmie,

I will be staying in Pudong, Lujiazui area for a start but hubby is looking around for another apartment, probably ard the same place or near Da Mu Zi. You still staying in Lujiazui area?

Hi Ris,
I am also working currently. Been working since graduation. The sudden change is going to be drastic. Not sure if i can get used. Hey if u are looking for schools, someone happen to post this in the Singapore portal. Hope this helps :-http://www.overseassingaporean.sg/forums/index.php?showtopic=835.

Hi Rach,

Thanks for your valuable inforatioms. Where are u currently staying? Pudong or Puxi?

Hi ris_ryr,

Have u in mind which area in Puxi u will be staying? How old is your kid?

Hi Rayb,

Lujiazui is a nice area. Not so congested and polluted. And i think lots of mummies are staying around that area. I'm currently staying in Jingan Puxi.

Hi all

We were staying in pudong, near Lujiazui. Very nice area. But will be moving to Puxi soon. Waiting for hubby to settle that while I'm back in Sgp now. :p

I was working prior to our move to Shanghai as well. Then was working parttime in Shanghai from home. Just quit to be a full-time SAHM.

rayb, there are alot of SAHM staying in Lujiazui area. A lot of Singaporeans.

So your child will finish the basic immunization before you move over? Medical is not cheap there. There is a Dong Fang International Clinic in Lujiazui itself. Will chat wth you more through email.

hi ris, how old is your child? I'm also going to look for nursery classes for my boy as well when we go back there.

shmum, this year's summer is arriving much earlier. Hopefully by the time I get there in Aug, the worst of the heat would be over. Jingan area is quite nice hor? Think my hubby would probably look around Hongqiao.

Emmie,
Why did u decide to move from Pudong to Puxi? I had the impression most ppl prefer Pudong for the fresher air and bigger space? We're picking Puxi because of proximity to office. Hoping to stay downtown.

i've 2 kids and they're 5 & 1. Elder one will start grade 1 and the other's not quite due for presch yet.

Rayb,
Thanks for the link! i've set up appts to see about 7 schools in June (look see trip), we'll pick from there and then settle on the aptm.

For all mummies already in SH,
please give me advice on the maid (ayi) situation there because I'm v worried about not being able to get good help.

Hi ris_rye,

The traffic condition in shanghai is pretty bad esp during peak hrs. Hence u might also wanna consider the distance frm the sch when deciding on where to stay.

I've gotten my ayi frm an ayi agency. The placement is almost immediate. U can interview the ayi before deciding whether to employ her and there's free replacement within one year.

I used to live in SHA 1996-2004. Back then, I got my Ah-Yi from agency. You can sit there and interview all. After I pick, I bring her home to test her for 1-2 days. If she doesnt do well, I just sent her back to agency and pay her for the 2 days' work. Then go back and pick again. Only when I am satisfactied then I pay the agency. Agency fee was really low, abt Rmb50-100.

But this is the local agency. If you go for agency catering to expat needs, then agency fee is much higher and terms/conditions much more complex. Think you'll even need to pay for medical checkup & buy worker's insurance.

hi ris
we are moving cos hubby changed job. So got to move to Puxi to be nearer his new workplace. Given a choice, I would prefer to stay in Pudong. Less luan.

re : ayi
are you looking for a stay-in or just someone to clean the place? If the latter, see if your husband's colleagues have any recommendations. Like maids in sgp, getting a good ayi can be a matter of luck as well.

Hi Emmie,

Yes, my son will take all the basic immunizations in Singapore. Will fly back if necessary for the follow up. Have been informed and warned about the expensive medical charges many times. I noticed people, esp kids are very promp to cough and flu in Shanghai. Is it the case or just my misconception?

Hi Ris,
Currently my husband have a Aiyi introduced by his friend but she is there only once aweek. Contemplating if i should ask her to come daily when i go over.

The last aiyi he employed was terrible. Normally she works at my hubby's apt when he is not home. Few time my husband decided to go home earlier and caught her leaving 1 to 1.5hr earlier with switched off work done. My sister who is there too, once opened our door and saw her sleeping on the sofa.....
sad.gif

Hi all,
What is the usual pay for aiyi per hr normally? We pay RMB10/hr. Is this the normal rate?

A fren just told me, tongue-in-cheek, the hourly ayi rate ranges from 6RMB to 18RMB per hour; 6RMB as the type that just arrived from rural countryside 2 days ago, while 18RMB type is the type that can speak English and cook French food. :p

I need a live-in ayi! That probably costs much much more.... although i don't know how much.

As for rather common practice of having ayi come in 4 hour daily, i'm puzzled at this arrangement, heard that usually ayis will cook 1 meal and go off after that... then move onto another household. Wouldnt the first household need her to cook dinner as well?

for ayis, it depends on what you want. There are some who moves from household to household doing chores. And there are those who comes in to cook/clean etc for the whole day. And there are live-in ones.

Previously my ayi only comes in on Mon/Wed/Fri for about 3 hrs to clean the house, wash clothes etc. We didn't ask her to cook for us cos we are not used to their way of cooking. Plus it's asier to eat out or tabao or cook on our own cos my hubby does not come back for dinner quite often (with very last minute notice sometimes). Then we were paying her 300RMB per mth.

then I switched to having her come daily for four hours in the morning to help me look after my son as well. Cost went up to 800RMB per mth (Quite a good deal actually). Still no meals required as i will cook porridge for myself and my son for lunch.

ris_rye,

U're right, the going rate can be anything frm RMB6-RMB18 depending on the qualification n experience of the ayi. But this usually applies for part time ayi that goes by the hrly rate. For fulltime or stay-in ayi, we negotiate based on mthly pay. This can be anything frm RMB1200-RMB2000+. Wat we did was we called up the agency, specify our requirement n rate n c if there's any taker. My current ayi works 10 hrs on weekdays n 2 hrs on sat, we offered RMB1100 initially but has since gave her a raise. Our previous part time ayi who works 4 hrs daily on weekdays was paid RMB7 per hr. For my case, my mum was with me when i first arrived, so we only need a part time ayi to clean up the households n cook lunch. Dinner we can prepare ourself.

WAH !! Now AhYi rate so high liao ah!! I used to hv a full-time but dun live in (we din like to hv someone hanging ard the hse @ nite). So she start 8am-9pm (eat dinner, wash dishes then leave). She was ex-SGP & ex-Msia (ie experienced with expat) as otherwise they dun know how to iron clothes, operate vacuum cleaner + washer + dryer. We started her @ that tart from Rmb800 and raise it to RMB1200. Every 2 wks 1 Sunday off. Her role was just to look after baby & cook. I buy groceries myself, occasionally I'll ask her to buy & bring along veggy from market. I only select those with at least secondary sch education as communication is easier and she can read to the kid. Mine even taught my boy to recite poems, count and recognise words!!

Then another part-time AhYi who comes in daily for 3 hrs to do ironing & cleaning (3 times a wk) @ $350.

Getting good AhYi is really by luck. But at least you can fire and hire almost the very next day, and not incurring levy + airfare. :) I really miss that. It is such a hassle to change maid in SGP.

BTW, do get the maid to go for medical checkup once you confirm the AHYi, especially if their are kids @ home. You can just ask them to go do it & pay for it. Cant remember how much liao.

Kook_car

First ayi for baby + cooking = 1200
2nd ayi for ironing & cleaning = 350 (RMB?)

Is it common practice to hv 2 ayis?

From what little I gather from the forums, it seems the ayis' job scope is not as comprehensive as the maids here in sin?

Waht I mean is will they be willing to do housework + help with baby (eg bathing, changing diaper etc) + cooking + ironing etc? Coz my maid does all this efficiently, from 6am to 930pm. I wonder if the ayis are willing, or able? Pls give me some idea so that i'm prepared to hire 2 if necessary.

CUrrently, I take care of the kids at night and my maid sleeps thru. So technically, I don't need the ayi to sleep over, but she must be there 7am to 9pm, at least.

Hi ris_eye

I hv some friends who hv even 3-4 AhYi, each to look after 1 kid !! Some AhYi are efficient but some aren't. Just like here too ...

When I started I only had 1 full-time. But her cleaning wasn't good as her concentration was on the kid. We were hosting dinners & lunches 1-2 times a week, and I really like my place SUPER clean. So we had 2 lor.

Back