Mummies in Australia?

hi mummies

Thanks for the information. Its really very useful but taking me awhile to sink all in.. I'm heading to perth this sunday just myself first for about 2 weeks and back to s'pore for the easter and back again.

I will be glad to meet any mummies we are free but of course i will be working so maybe timing may not suit you mummies..

Anyway i will pay a visit to the Belmay Pre-school which seems to be within the boundaries to understand abit more. Rang them but they got no slot for my gal.. just have to try...

Hi Lavender & Optopus
Which ABC school did sent your kids to? I would like to check the school out too when i'm there.

Hi Piglet and Lavender,
He's attending the one at Myaree. When my friend moved up North, she re-enrolled her kid in the ABC there and she seems to have no problems too. Best to visit the centre and speak to the director and carer for yourselves. I wouldn't recommend enrolling your kid in a place without visiting it-- which is what I did for the Montessori place (paid for 2 kids for 1 term!).

hopeac
great to hear that there's another mummy in melbourne now...I'm still waiting for my hb's company to confirm details. they need to check on the taxation laws etc to confirm his package. Which part of melbourne r u residing? how old r ur kids? is there any regular group of SG mummies whom you meet up or talk to in Melbourne.

hi Cheri,
I am now at bayside, south east of melbourne. I stay quite near to the beach. Not staying at the traditionally asian area like boxhill,blackburn or glen waverley. If you stay in those areas, you will feel that you are back in SG.

My kids are now 6 and 3. Do you hold PR? If not, you have to consider private education at international rates which can be very exp. Well, there are actually more malaysians here it seems. I do attend an asian church. And 1 or 2 good friends from SG here. One of which i meet regularly since our sons attend chinese school together. If you come here, I have another SG mom right. grin

I feel Melbourne is in the middle between perth and Sydney. Not as hectic as sydney and not as laid back as perth.

hopeac
i'm so happy to hv found you hahah...how long hv u been in melbourne? it's not easy being away from home & its comforts so really hoping that we'll adapt there.

staying near to the beach is beautiful idea (how near is near? hahah) is it self sufficient in bayside as in there r enough shops, schs, parks, playgrounds etc to get by? good area for families to live in? u drive ard wif the kids in the day? Possible to survive there as sahm without driving?

i've a ger who's born in May 06 so should be abt the same as ur #2? we dun really need to apply PR for now if he is being posted there but toying wif the idea cos heard can hv lots of savings & benefits. Do u mean to say that if one is not a PR, the only option is pte international schs? any half day childcare sorts like in SG?

Hi JE

We used Geometra Movers to shift to Melbourne last Nov. Their rates are pretty good and their service is excellent. They provide boxes and also do the packing for u. We spent ard 3k plus (i tink, cant rem the exact figure) for 70 over boxes.

Here's their website.
http://www.geometramovers.com.sg/

No worries at all!

I'm not familiar with city area schools. My husband was checking out on international baccalaureate schools for his sis in law recently. Let me ask him and let u noe.

when r u moving to melbourne?

Thanks!!! We're moving over after mid may.

I heard things are more expensive over there. Wonder what should I ship over esp. children stuff??

melgirl
yes, what r the things u shipped over then? we r thinking of renting out our flat here so most of the furniture will not ship over. Also cos most of our furniture r built in type so can't remove haha

Hi Mngo, Hen and octopus

I'm in perth already. Manage to find a rented place near tuart hill. Was a hectic weeks trying to sort all out. Now is the school, plus trying to find 2nd hand fridge and washing machine.. Know anyone who wants to sell them, of course in good condition.

By the way, which plan is good for phone and internet and cable tv? I'm on Telstra prepaid, but its eating my money like crazy? Is Savvytel good and reliable for prepaid cards? What do you moms use?

Now need to scout for furniture too...aiyo so much to do...plus work!!!

Thanks so much again!!! I really appreciate all the info, it works wonders for me...

Hi piglet

Yeah I spent hours surfing on plans for phone, internet and even cable before I came over.
Mobile phone:-depends on your usage. For myself, I used bean counter on virgin (have to buy over internet)initially coz of cheap SMSs and calls for initial use esp when calling places for rental etc Following that it really depends on your usage. If your husband and u use the same provider, it's usually free SMSs and calls to each other. Virgin uses the optus network. Somehow, I found Virgin suited our needs. check out optus and telstra too. They have their own deals.
Cable TV--is yours a rented apt or house? does it already have a dish? If not, you may need to check with your agent to see if the owners will approve a dish. Apparently 90% of the households that have paid TV use dish here rather than undergound cables.Very leh cheh!
Phone - dep on how comfortable u are with having or not having a landline.I'm just using Telstra for home phone. But it's quite popular for people to use VOIP which just uses the internet and a modified phone to call.
BTW I got a phone card (Easy calling phone card) over the net from www.phonecardselector.com.au to call S'pore. It costs $0.01 per min and there are no connection fees. Pretty worth it.
Hope the above helps!

Yup... I recommend Bean Counter too
happy.gif
But unfortunately now on an Optus plan coz of the iPhone. Will switch back once my contract is up
happy.gif

Cable TV - we don't see the need for one. No time to watch! HAHAHA... but we recently got a set-top box to access other free channels.

Phone - also on Telstra, but not the best deal in the world :p Because of location also, we decided on a bundled deal with them - landline and internet (Bigpond). A friend of mine is using Starhub's Voice (http://www.starhub.com/portal/site/Voice/menuitem.6e55f99da54ffdb7eaaf3b608324a5a0/?vgnextoid=a42f4cfef22ff010VgnVCM100000464114acRCRD) which I thought was quite good, but didn't get round to subscribing when I was back in Singapore.

Thanks andrea and octopus for the input..much apprciated!

Most of the telco co is on a 2 years contract. Trying to look for a no contract.

I'm currently looking at "3" seem to reasonable ok. For Broadband just got to pay the for USB for S$129 and monthly $15 for 0.5GB or more depends on usage!!! Not as cheap as in s'porelor..

As for mobile phone, think is $29 for $150 worth of sms, talktime and mms... Aiyo, die, my sms surely overlimit...

Not planning to get any land line...

Oh well, see how it goes, not decide on any yet... still thinking..

I'm using Optus prepaid for both mobile n wireless broadband. Am looking to switch to a plan for mobile cos am wasting a lot of credit with the $30 recharge. As for broadband, $30 recharge for 1GB per mth been working fine for us, esp since we r renting, else very troublesome (n extra $$) to transfer svc when we move.

URGENT...can anybody reply me whether i need to go to aus embassy in sg before my 1st pr entry to aus. if yes, how many days is the process??TIA

andrea
but in the grant letter tis is stated:
"Obtaining Evidence of the Visa Grant
The visa holder can have evidence of the visa placed into their passport at any of the department’s offshore offices with visa evidencing facilities."

was ur's done by an agent or yourself? cos my hubby did the application himselt n we were acknowleged by an email for the grant entry.

Hi,

I intend to put my child in local state school in Melb. I was told that Immunisation Certificate is requred for registration. In spore, most immunisations are recorded in the child's healthbook. How do I get those immunisations certified? Pls advise. Thanks.

Raytie,
You have been given the visa. But what they meant is you need the physical visa on your passport.

Yes you need to the Embassy before you leave for singapore. They will put in the visa slip in your passport with things like you must make first entry by when, and the visa end when. You need to do this each time u change passport. You can get it on the same day. The best you go early in the morning, like 8:45 to queue.(They start at 9 and close at 12). You should be able to get everything done before 11. You just need to bring the letter, your passports and any other documents stated,

JE,
My son is not in the state school, but independent school. We just showed the health booklet. I am not sure about state schools, but I can help you check with my friend who has kids in the melb state school.

hi Ryatie
yup... sounds like you will hv to go to the embassy. When my visa was approved, we were told to go to the embassy to obtain it, and one of the officers placed it into our passports, and we were told of our entry date. And yes, as advised by Hopeac, go there early... coz the queue can get really long.

Hi JE
I think t should be the same in melb. When I arrived in Perth, I took my boys to the clinic for their vaccinations. Brought their health booklets along, and the nurse updated them. She updated their details into the system, and the Family Assistance Office (and Centrelink, I think) captured the information. They will then send you a letter (Immunisation Cert) to show that the vacs are up to date.

But before you are able to get hold of this, you can just bring the health booklets and show it to the school when you register your child. That will help too
happy.gif

hopeac and andrea
thanks a lot for the info..yup tis morning i quickly go to the embassy@9am n got it done like less then 15mins...phewww...i was so afraid it cannot be done in time as stated in the grant letter, it takes 5 working days to process...so i was so kancheong cos i'll be in perth next wed...

did anybody use the first house grant n boost? if yes, is the process very fast?

hello mummies,
hoping to get some advise here. me and hb are aust pr and we have a 3mth old son.
initially wanted to give birth in aust, but i had some complications and was advised not to.
was wondering if anyone has done pr application for their child, and how long is the process?

thank u in advance!

athlete,

You will apply for child migration for your son. You can find the forms on the website. (www.immi.gov.au) The application is very straight forward and they process it very fast. I got mine for my baby within a week.

Hi,Andrea

I did not bring this brand, but I did bring in other milk products, usually if its small quantity and for kids, they usually let you through but make sure you declare it.

Hi mngo

ya boy, surprise, surprise!! indeed a small world. Was wishy washy of going to fcc but glad i did. See you around fcc ya..

Hi Hen,
Did you say that you got your baby's PR within a week? I'm in the process of filling the forms and getting all docs certified, but then I'm going to Perth on June 26. And I read that if you submit outside of Australia, you cannot be in Aust during the application as it may be rejected?

So thought of submitting when I'm back, what do you think?

Hi athlete,

Yes, I got my 2nd kid's pr within a week or 2. After the 1st submission, they needed some further documents which upon submission, I got a letter from Australian Embassy in Sg within a few days. Child migration application gets priority in processing from what I understand. Usually, they require the applicant to be outside the country when application is being processed.

Your trip to Perth on Jun 26 is for holidays? If not urgent, maybe your kid can come over on visitor visa 1st, then apply when u r back.

Hi. Need some advice from those who have obtained their PR (particularly recently)what's the timeline between the case officer requesting for the police certificate to them actually processing the visa (ie getting out of Australia so that the visa can be processed)? Do you have to re-enter Australia before your medicals expire (1 year)? Thanks!

octopus,
Did u apply onshore or offshore? Becos I am nto sure y u need to get out of Australia for PR to be processed, If offshore, usually they request for police cert etc. you will are suppose to give it to them within 1 month. If not, you need to write for extension. Once they receive the police cert etc, within 1 or 2 months you will get your PR. You do not have to re-enter Aus before your med expire. You need to enter before the first entry date given. It really depends on your case officer. My first entry date once 1 year from the date of pr grant, some friends were 3 months or 6 months. So really depends what date your case officer give.

hi mummies, goodmorning!

I need advise...my family are all Aus PR (me, my hubby and our 2yr old kid)....but we have not moved to Aus permanently. We did our initial entry but still returned here in SG. We do plan on moving to Aus (either Sydney or Melbourne) by end of this yr or early next year. due to the recent economic downtime, we decided to hold our migration, but now since its picking up, we might want to try our luck there.

For those in AU, can you pls advise how is the job market there now? In particular for architects? We hope to move there with job offers (at least 1 of us - either me or my hubby) so at least it wont be difficult financially. On the average, how long is the job hunting? and is end this yr or early next yr will be a better time to move there?

For those who have jobs offers before moving to AU, did you applied thru the web? which sites? and do they consider those coming from here? and will they also consider our work experiences here - cause some say package will be smaller for those not having local AU experience.

sorry, got lots of questions =) we're excited yet also having doubts on our move. Pls advise. TIA

oh, btw, anyone to advise which is better : Sydney or Melbourne...although now Melbourne not very ideal due to H1N1 issue - right?

mumbebes
i am in perth and i've frens in architectural line. i was told that there are more openings here than the eastern side

hello perth-based mummies,
i'm going to perth in aug for 1 mth and am looking for a good condition second hand cot.
if anyone has one to sell, or know of anyone who's selling, do let me know...

thanks!

Hi Athlete
a friend of a friend is selling a cot with mattress for $100. I haven't seen it, but she sez it's quite new. Let me know if you want it. I will try and get contact details for you to let you contact her personally
happy.gif

Cheers,
@ndrea

Hello to all oz mummies

Perth Mummies : Word of Caution - Hand Food & Mouth Disease

I am a SAHM with a 23mths old son. We lives in Perth City.

Last Fri morning, my son's bottom developed some pimples-like rashes and we thought it was nappy rash. By evening, his condition get more serious with rashes on his plams, feets and some of the pimples turn into blisters. He developed a mild fever as well.

Yesterday morning, we brought him to Princess Margaret Hospital and the doctor confirmed that he got HFMD. Both my hubby and me were quite stunned by the findings as in our mindset HFMD happens in SG, not here.

Anyway, we reckon we should warn you gals about the virus. We have no ideas where he caught the virus from but we have listed the places that we went before he was sick. You might want to avoid those places for awhile.

1) Vic Park - Coles & Target
2) Garden City
3) Westfield carousel
4) Perth City - Myer
5) Toy r us - opposite Westfield carousel

Take Care!!

Hi Mumbebes

Australia's jobless rate have gone up recently. Under such economic circumstances, it is really hard to gauge. But employers are more cautious and they have more choices compared to good times. So if u do not have local experience, u are already loosing out slightly. But they may offer u a contract job instead of a perm job. How long to get a job, is a question.

It is usually much easier to find a job when u are here, they usually want to meet u. Unless u have contacts that can offer u a job straight-off.

Having said all of these, if u don't try u don't know. U need to have considerable savings for your living expenses while u are looking for a job without incoming income as AU living expenses is quite high. How about one of u come over first ?

Back