MOMMY CLUB - Yr 2007 P1's (Yr2000 Millennium & Dragon Babies)

Cath,
Yes, yes!!! My kid is exactly like that! She does her work on her bed, then falls asleep with a storybook beside her! Now I truly believe it when you say you understand me.
happy.gif

Hi mummies,
Finally the SA2 is over and my girl got all her result, she passes all her papers and the result is better than her CA2, her science and Chinese scores band 2. I told her since she has improved, I will stop her tuitions in Nov and Start again in Dec to prepare for her P5.

My girl also got her results. I can't say the same for my kid. Her Chinese and Science have lots of room for improvement, in the range of Band 3. Oh dear. I have prepared her butts for some would-be kway tiao.

Hi Mummies,
Finally, the SA2 results are OVER !!!!
Results are out. Son's Chinese almost flunked for Paper 2...even though the P4 Chinese paper has a new format this year with lesser sections.
His comprehension open-ended and duan3 wen2 tian2 kong1 pulled him down according to his Chinese teacher. I couldn't believe it when she called me.

Science 85%, Maths and English (Band 2) are not bad too...Chinese in Band 3.

I went for a briefing at my kid's school today. I learnt from other parents that the Science paper was a tough cookie - the highest for Science in 2 best mainstream classes is 85. It did comfort me a little altho my kid still falls short by alot.

I got a shock of my life for Chinese though - according to the teachers and parents, the Chinese paper was already returned to the kids for parents' signature! And like a clueless parent, I didn't know about it until then. When I got home and asked my kid for the paper, she said,"I don't have it!" !!! See how blur she is ... my husband asked me if she really does know what she is doing in school.

Hi mummies, so so happy!!! Exam over;)
Any of yr kids taking violin? My gal want to pick up violin.
Do u think I should allow her to go for it?
She has been talking about it since beginning of the yr... Tho we are not keen as she is in band.

Also, any mummies decided to let yr
Kid continue with higher Chinese next yr? What is yr view on this?

Also what is the mark range for band 3 n 2?
Paisay... Got so many questions to ask and TIA

Hi rains, just read yr posts about yr gal. Mine was worse... She will do the homeworks that I gave. But anyhow... Imag doing a math papers wo any working!!! Wa!!! I really cane her...almost everyday...n I know it is not doing our relationship Any good.. So I outsource all her subject... I got a Chinese tutor 1 month b4 exam but hor imag.. The tutor complained to me after lessons..
Will die man... Can't understand why a gal behave like this...

I always tell hb that not all ppl are cut out for studies...
Haha!

dorothy,

Yes, yes! (Sigh, 'yes' again) My kid also likes to do Maths without working, even problem sums. I told her if I see no working in her exam, she'll get to eat kway tiao. Kept telling her that there is method mark but still no working, so she deserves to be caned.

You haven't seen kids who are 'not cut out for studies'. Our gals are either lazy or want to challenge themselves using mental sums. Those who are not cut out for studying don't even do the paper.

For my kid, there's only one kinda Chinese in her school, so there's no option for her to 'take or don't take'. Her principal shared with the parents that HCL's textbook is just more stories than the ordinary CL textbook. I thought if that's the case, then should be ok to continue with HCL, becos you get to cover what others don't.

I think if your girl is interested in violin and she's coping with the academics and other enrichment stuff, then go ahead. My kid has only piano and Learning Lab for English, but I feel that she's not coping with her academics so I said no to her request to learn karate.

Hi cath, thanks!!!
So I know what is her banding... Eng n Chinese band 3 n the other 2 band 1.

Rains... Haha. Know what u meant... My gal belongs to thr super lazy n careless type... Imag... 2+3=6!!!
buay tahan....everytime got to use cane then get things done

Violin- ya... Looking around but she like too old for class.

Oh!!! Anything to suggest for them to do for the long break?

Mine dunno most results yet although he seems to know he got band 2 in maths. said he couldn't finish the paper and left out last 2 problem sums.

Rains, how many problem sums in PSLE maths ah? I'm worried coz I know PSLE has more. would be disastrous if he can't finish his PSLE paper :S

Dor, mine wants to learn drums but I plan to send him for Chinese class first. I'm deciding between chinese oral or essay writing. But since weightage for oral is 30% and compo is 15%, I thought maybe oral will be a more practical choice :p What you think? He is not good in MT and I'm puzzled how he scored well in his SA2 MT oral...the school standard is not high.

We have no travel plans this year end...most probably Sentosa, our fav staycation spot. Considering whether to sign him up for some science holiday camp.

Hi Dorothy,
My son did badly for his SA2 Paper 2...so no chance of continuing with it next yr. It's super hard to believe why his Chinese turned out so poor. Anyway, with P5 subjects getting tougher, it may be a blessing that he doesn't continue.

dorothy,
My kid would write '4' so thinly that in the next number sentence, she wrote '1' becos she thought it was '1'! Then her '3' looked like '5', so much that she herself took it as '5' in her next number sentence.

I keep telling her how can others understand what she's writing when she herself doesn't!

Long break ah - I think I'll get my kid to read more chinese books. She's starting to enjoy them. So I hope it'll help in her writing by and by.

Wen,
I only know problem sums take up 60 marks of the paper. I can't remember exactly how many sums tho.

I think most schools would set their p5 paper in the psle format. So not to worry.

rains, wa.. yr gal's school so strict...kids must take HCL... raffles huh? keke

my gal is as bad... her working is 4 but when she write on the answer it can become 5.

i just saw her chinese compo result...i faint!8/15... i ask her what happened.. she can laugh somemore... the other day, she still tell me that she want to try HCL for P5...
but i decided that i will let her go for normal chinese... dont want her to spoil the teacher's mood in the HCL class.. tho i would love her to continue it...

i think it seems that chinese is a commonly weak subject among our kids... any way to improve on chinese? other than TV? my gal very auntie... she like drama...
we always fight when it come to watching korean drama when i insisted on watching in korean and expect her to read the subtitles...
kekeke

Wen- i think X is playing drum? thought i saw him doing so in FB?

Longbreak
any nice place for them to spend time.. my cc got nothing much... my friend's cc got cupcake deco class...sian...

chinese book
other than library... other where else to find?

PSLE
wa.. rains... u think very far... i want to relax first...will die

I read from somewhere that some kids are able to solve maths questions without working. Unfortunately they cannot survive in our education system....

What is the weightage for compo, listening compre, oral and written paper in PSLE for both EL and CL?

dorothy,

Chinese
I'm still very old-school when it comes to language learning - I'll get my kids to read. I think TV helps in 'immersion', but in terms of word recognition, it's not very useful.

I bought some books from dangdang spree. But it can take a long time - I waited for 3 months I think before they arrived.

hi mummies,
Apart from reading books, reading newspaper is good also. I have started to get my gril to read both chinese and English newspaper. After reading, she has lots of questions to ask, what happened to this and that, why was it happening, etc....

rains.. can share what books u ordered from dangdang.. i got some chinese voca book from dang dang too...

dorothy,

These are what I ordered from the spreeist:

Item 1: 不一样的卡梅拉(全6册)
URL:http://product.dangdang.com/product.aspx?product_id=9213954&ref=search-0-A
qty: 1
Price: RMB ¥27.00

Item 2: 窗边的小豆豆系列(共六册)URL:http://product.dangdang.com/product.aspx?product_id=20541075
Price: 钻石vip价:¥79.70

Item 3: 花婆婆
URL: http://product.dangdang.com/product.aspx?product_id=9296427
Price: 钻石vip价:¥20.50

Item 4: 安房直子系列(全3册)
URL: http://product.dangdang.com/product.aspx?product_id=20610249
Price: ¥28.30

Item 5: 小狗钱钱
URL: http://product.dangdang.com/product.aspx?product_id=20478919
Price: 钻石vip价:¥13.20

Item 6: 德沃夫爷爷的森林小屋
URL: http://product.dangdang.com/product.aspx?product_id=9254957
Price: 钻石vip价:¥20.80

Item 7: 小皮斯凯的第一次旅行(精)
URL: http://product.dangdang.com/product.aspx?product_id=9115611&ref=product-0-E
Price: 钻石vip价:¥19.00

Item 8: 小皮斯凯的第一个朋友(精)
URL: http://product.dangdang.com/product.aspx?product_id=9115615&ref=product-0-E
Item: 1
Price: 钻石vip价:¥19.00

Item 9: 不一样的卡梅拉(第二辑 全三册)
URL: http://product.dangdang.com/product.aspx?product_id=20531735&ref=search-0-A
Price: RMB 17.40

As a review, I think that some of the books are overrated eg. 不一样的卡梅拉. And I bought too many of the 小豆豆系列 - some are not interesting to me even. But I like stories about 小皮斯凯. I think the reading level is appropriate for my kid and I myself like the stories, especially 小皮斯凯的第一个朋友(精).

I think the strength of these China books lies in their illustration. Most of them have attractive, well-drawn pictures. The storylines are overrated tho I feel.

How about yourself? What have you ordered and how do you like them?

Rains

Are the chinese characters in simplied chinese? Is it possible for you to scan a page or 2 for me to see the contents? I would also like to get some books for my older boy, but not sure whether the standard is too difficult for him. He wants to try Higher Chinese next year and he know that he has to read more books in order to do well.

rains,
thanks for your titles.

I most ordered books for my boy.... activties n some right brain training/story book as well... a few batch.... yes yes... the pic n llustration is good...and they r so much cheaper...

u plan to order again?
maybe we can combine?

i ordered a few books on chinese verbs which the chinese tutor commented not bad... i will take pic n post here...

i do find some of the titles that dangdang carries in our library

Jess, you can go to the link n scroll down... the chinese characters in simplied chinese.they do post some of the pages there...

Mummies
do u think i should go tw and get their chinese books?

Jess,
The characters should be in simplified Chinese if I remember correctly. If not, mothers would not order them already.

For sample pages, you can click on the links of the books. Scroll down and you'll see reviews and sample page/s of the books.

Dorothy,
I haven't decided if I want to order again. I went thro a spreeist in this forum the last time I ordered them. I find the process of self-ordering very complicated - me a technophobic lah. Unless you want to help me place order and share with me what books to buy. I had difficulty deciding what to buy the last time. Most of the books are what other mothers have bought and I follow suit.

What books did you buy huh? Got good read?

Taiwanese books' chinese is in the traditional version leh. I don't think you want to get them, unless you want your girl to be exposed to them.

dorothy,
The wooden blocks look very interesting and fun to play with. But I got a worry: what if my kid starts to mix and match anything and thinks there are such words? I think it's good for testing what you know and may not be good for kids who might get the characters all confused. I saw a few rarely used characters there and I actually wondered if there were such words or were they mixed up on purpose.

rains....
keke... i only ordered...
let me go back n take pic of what i get for my gal... maybe some for your younger gal also....

Am thinking of getting it for her to use it as a aid to learn new words.

Hi Mummies,
Got report book back. From next yr, son will be taking normal Chinese, English, Science and Math (school terms it 'standard subjects'). In fact, 2moro night, the principal called for a briefing as she wants P5 classes to have new 'names' for the classes since there is HCL and CL.

hi Janet,
My daughter also taking normal chinese next year. But I have not received any briefing letter from her school yet, wonder if all schools have briefing for P5.

Hi Cath,
I asked his teacher if he can take HCL next year...if he doesn't do well for CA1 or struggling with it, then will switch to normal CL.
Her advice is that...subjects next year will be even tougher on top of the intensive drilling, so it's better to drops HCL.

The briefing conducted by the principal is regarding the change of class names for P5 next yr.

hi Janet,
I asked the same question to my daughter's teacher as well, if she could take HCL instead. Her teacher told me the same thing, the science and math for next year will be a lot tougher and she suggested to conentrate/put more effort on those harder subjects rather than taking HCL. So after discussed with my husband, we decided to go for normal Chinese.
I have called my girl's form teacher, she said there is no briefing for her school.

Hi Cath,
Then both of us can shake hands...hahaha.
I told hubby I wanted him to drop HCL next yr...too time consuming and stressful esp since we don't speak Mandarin...was thinking if he continues with HCL, might help him with normal CL.

His CL teacher was nice to return my call this morn...explained to me that P5 subjects will be very much tougher and if taking HCL as well, it will require more time. Starting from next year, no need to buy anymore 'Higher Chinese' assessment books. I dread to think of next year
kao_scared.gif
kao_scared.gif
...the whole family has to help him with his homework.

hi Cath, could it be the briefing isbegining of the yr? my gal school'briefing was in april.

My gal is also taking normal chinese..initiall, she wanted to take HCL but we managed to talk her out..PHew!

hi dorothy,
I think you are right, I remembered there was a briefing sometime in May.

hi Janet,
Actually my girl speaks chinese at home, my hubby said even if she takes HCL, it should not be a problem for her. But as what her teacher had said, other subjects will be much tougher in P5, and her Math and Eng are in band 3, so we decided to let her take normal chinese so we can spend more time to teach her in other subjects.

Hi mummies,

I made a mistake. There is normal Chinese in my kid's school, but bcos my kid is in a particular programme, she should take up HCL to be in the programme. Otherwise, she'll be out of it. I thought HCL will benefit my kid by having her exposed to something of a higher level and she enjoys the programme very much, so I won't opt her out.

Having a kid in P5 is quite a scary idea. P5 is the year that sees a drop in every subject.

I went for a 3-hour briefing last night at the school. The principal spoke for an hour, a senior teacher, subject head and hod spoke for another hour and a half. The form teacher spoke for half an hour. I didn't think the briefing was great. The previous principal had only one briefing per year. This new p wants 3 briefing in a year. I thought it kinda ... wayang.

Hi Cath,
On the whole, his Eng/Math/Science subjects are in Band 2 while CL dropped to Band 3. Since her teacher said all subjects will be tougher at P5, I think it's a better idea to take normal chinese...there will be more heart attacks next year. Anyway, my boy is too happy to drop HCL...even if I can convince teacher to continue with it, I won't be successful convincing my boy either.

hi Janet,
My girl is happy that she will be taking normal Chinese next year. Anyway, I told her that I will let her enjoys her November holidays since her birthday is in November and I will start preparing her for P5 in December. I have informed her Math and English teacher to start tuition in December.
As I am a full time working mother, and always need to go oversea(business trip), I do not have much time to teach her myself, so whenever I am in Singapore, I will try to teach her as much as I can.

Hi Cath,
My younger child's birthday is in Nov too.

I've told my son he will have to resume his assessment book from next week...at least 2 hours everyday. Next 2 years are very crucial years for him.

Hello mummies,
Didn't visit this thread for veri long time liao.

My gal will be taking higher MT next year. Her Chinese teacher told us to let take as she can make it so we will let her try for P5. She can opt out in P6 if she finds it too difficult.

Hi tling
Yeah, long time no 'see'.
Glad to know your daughter did well to do HCL next year. If can take, it's good bcos I was told HCL will help in CL...and have more options at P6 when choosing sec school. All the best.

If your child can cope, should let him/her take HCL. Mine, normal level Chinese also got problem so definitely no and can't take HCL.

Yesterday spent more than $130 at Popular on assessment and guide/revision books...not complete yet but will do for now. Among them, below 2 books were mentioned in one of the threads in kiasuparents so I got them :-
1) Science PSLE Revision Guide (in his school book list but optional)
2) Challenging Maths Problems Made Easy by Ammiel Wan

Hi Wen,
I agree...if child is allowed to take HCL, do go ahead. Mine here, almost flunk his HCL paper, so naturally cannot proceed with HCL next year.

I spent $40 on son's school textbooks & workbooks. As for assessment books, I bought P5 ones from time to time, when there were discounts.

Your son's book list listed 'Science PSLE Revision Guide' already ? Can you advise the publisher pls ? Is it by Casco ?

Janet, the publisher is Marshall Cavendish. His book list also includes Maths PSLE Revision Guide and MPH PSLE Maths by the same publisher but I only got the Science book. It covers topics from lower block to upper block, should be useful.

Wen,
Thanks
happy.gif

I bought quite a number of Science assessment books by SAP earlier this year...some were new publications...in fact new publications appear at non-peak seasons. Saw this Longman Science weekly just now.

If haven't bought everything yet, you can consider buying during BookFest from 10 Dec onwards. Try to go on the first day & avoid weekends.

Hi Mummies,
Our kids have grown up and going to P5 next year...how fast time flies.
Wento to BookFest yesterday...it was so crowded compared to last year.

Not that much cheaper, so I think I'll get assessment books from the store instead.

hi,everyone!

Janet,how come u only spent $40++ ontextbooks?

i paid $110++ including calculator.... this yr.. i din buy any assessment books... outsource to her tutor to do so....

times really flies.... am having mixed feelings...

Huh mummies,

Are you kidding me? I spent $200+ based on my kid's booklist excluding calculator this year. How did you manage to pay less? Did you buy all the compulsory items?

Back