MOMMY CLUB - Yr 2007 P1's (Yr2000 Millennium & Dragon Babies)

Rains,
Do you have to torture me any further ???
It's lunch time and you're making me DROOL!!!
打包 for us to eat lah...we can't eat pictures leh. Hehehe.

Janet,
I'm not so rich lah - fly to HK and ta bao char siew pao for you.

My elder sister said crystal jade bakery also have bo lo pao with char siew. I tried it yesterday and thought it was passable. But my sister and mother who tried the above said it could not make it and it was nowhere near it.

Hi long time no write
Whenever i see good food, i cannot resist...
Anyway, i'm user (familyfirst) but i've forgotten my password. Just window shopping to see what travel plans/ idea to reward my child.end Dec 2010. Of cos. - good n cheap prefered 2A +1C +1baby. Thought of Melbourne's jetasia promo but hubby said nothing to see n play.Hubby prefer Taiwan/Korea. Can't decide becos i don't really enjoy " long travelling"-esp with young babe on board.

hi sharon,

I chanced upon this link about melbourne attractions:
http://tommyooi.com/melbourne-attractions/

I thought melbourne looks interesting for the kids ie. penguin parade, puffing billy, Healsvile Sanctuary and Eureka Skydeck!

But probably HK would be cheaper and it's very convenient. Your kid will enjoy Ocean Park and Disneyland all within HK.

I would think Taiwan and Korea nothing much to play for kids, comparatively.

Rains,
No lah...just joking.
Cannot compare Crystal Jade por lor pau with HKG one. The por lor pau in HKG are authentic stuff. Ours here are make-do, since can't possibly eat authentic ones often.

hi all 2000mum (Dragonchild)

rain- Melbourne's weather is 'summer esp during Dec' ,I might consider Goldcoast xcept that it's more expensive n not more to do (sightseeing 1 day)
after reading Janet's posting in some theads,I realise peculiar trait in Dragonchild-they are smart & rebellious(disobedient) in nature. My son only obeys when computer game time is given as reward. Otherwise, he refuse to do any work during hols. I told hubby he's disorganised, and we decided to have some 'family discussion' to improve on his behaviour

Hi Sharon,
Gold Coast is nice, very nice. But 7 hours flight no joke for hyperactive kids.

Some boys tend to mature late...work hard only when there is a reward dangling in front of them. I'm just waiting for my son to mature asap...can't possibly let him play Wii or Nintendo too much next year. P5 already, and from what I heard from many friends, school work is very heavy.

Jess,
Term 3 has started. It was tough to go into 'work mode' after allowing myself to go easy during the month of June.

Homework has also started to pile up. Math teacher told class to tear out/detach worksheets from Maths Homework Book P1-24. Homework is from P1-20. Submission on Wed, that means 10 pages yesterday and 10 pages today.

yeah, on one hand, i want them to have a good rest during the holidays but on the other hand, i dread to tune them back to work mode when school reopens...
Janet, you should let your younger one enjoy this year - K2 is the last year before formal schooling starts. Btw, I heard from my niece that CHIJ TP is not moving next year, lucky her...

Jess,
I'm giving her a chance to enjoy but she has 听写 and spelling from school. Other than that, she plays with her cooking sets.

CHIJ TP is not moving to Geylang Bahru...I was informed that not only is the school not moving, the principal is looking for a temporary place in TPY itself. Whew !!! Geylang Bahru is so inconvenient with road works going on at Bendemeer.

Hi mommies..
just discovered this thread.. I've a year 2000 girl and a 2006 boy.. & we're staying at the West. Any1 at this area too?
My girl currently in CHIJ Kellock, very weak in her maths, am still searching for a home tutor for her.. any good recommendation ?

Hi MaMaYeo!
This thread can be very quiet for very long periods, but it can also be very lively at times. I can't help you with your queries, hope someone else will. Many of the mommies here have at least 2 kids. The "dragon" kid is likely to be the older one. I hope the thread will wake up with your participation.

hello jess..
oh i certainly hope tat d thread is active always, tat's where we can feed each other info.
I'm FTWM.. U ? 2 kids too ? noticed tat u were in HKG for june's holiday.. tat's a plc which i never get tired of.. just like home.. ha..
Love the food & dessert, maybe I've the cantonese blood too.. We were in gold coast/sydney in june.. superb weather, relax trip for us !

Yeah, the HK trip was nice but I don't think we will be back again soon as we had brought the kids to the key places of interest already. And we have been to a few cities in Australia too. Nice and friendly place. Don't mind going again ...

hihi...back from HK few days ago. i especially enjoyed the excellent dim sum at Tim Ho Wan...thanks to Rains for recommending
happy.gif

mamayeo, my son is currently taking maths and english at Learning Lab...we have no experience with home tutor so far.

we're currently in 'relaxed' mode...will probably start to get stressed over CA2 next month.

hello wen..
Just back from HK holiday? with kids? our family enjoyed HK too.. food & desserts..best ! where's Tim Ho Wan ? what's the chinese character ?
My girl tried learning lab too, when she was in P3, but i'm not able to get the weekend class even waitlisted for 2 terms.. was then depending on my FIL to fetch her to & fro from Bt Merah, by public transport, I'm just afraid too tiring for him.. (he has heart attack history before). So, hv to stop her to get her home tuition.

only my sis and i went HK. left my boy and hubby behind. i dunno how to input chinese character here...it's tian hao yun...you can google the english name and it'll probably pop out.

my boy attending weekday classes as well coz i know it's difficult to get into weekend classes. i'm FTWM and my dad helps drive my boy there so it's fine at the moment. he attended Onsponge maths workshop during the holidays and it seems not bad...you can also look it up in the web.

Haven't been in the forum for a while. Was too busy to even email my HOD to clarify things.

Tim Ho Wan is 添好运 in chinese. Apparently, the shop in Yau Ma Tei is better than their new branch at Shum Shui Pu (深水埔). But the new branch opens earlier at 8am I think and is much bigger and have more seats.

Wow, Wen, you really live a good life. Not school holidays also can fly over to HK on your own. Hmm, I wish I could do that some day. But I realised that even sisters may not make perfect company on overseas trips. My HK trip had one of my sisters throwing temper at me every single day over my 'lousy' planning. I put up with her tantrums until the second last day and told her much as she had alot of opinion about my planning and the trip, I also have an opinion about her non-stop complaining throughout the trip. I make a mental note never to go on trips with this sister of mine ever again.

Wen

How's learning lab? Is it worth the fees?

They're opening a new center at Mountbatte Square. I'm seriously considering placing my girl in learning lab

Appreciate your feedback. Thanks
happy.gif

hi yawn yawn,

My girl's taking English at Learning Lab. For English, the result is not apparent yet. Language takes time to see results I guess.

My friend's son is at Learning Lab...it seems LL's method of teaching Compo is very good.

My son is at Jan & Elly...planning to pull him out as I do not find improvement after 3 terms...thinking of getting one-to-one instead. At least home tutor can customize to his needs.

yawn yawn,

I'm sorry, but I'm not very sure. Honestly, it's precisely I don't have the time to sit down with my girl to coach her that I'm sending her to an enrichment class, I'm guilty of not following up on what she does in the class. I did ask once or twice and my girl told me the teacher gave them some phrases, which she didn't use.

rains, i travel without hubby and son once in a while mainly coz hubby not interested in the places that i want to visit. i actually thought of visiting Beijing with my colleague this October but kenna nagged by hubby so likely postpone ;p

yawn yawn, i see a huge improvement in my son's English compo after he started LL...maybe coz his compo was v awful previously. in the past he would just write to the point without creativity but now his compo is peppered with better vocab and improved creativity. it's not an ace type of compo but i'm happy with the progress.

i dunno how they teach compo writing although i find the worksheets quite impressive. make me feel like the fees paid are worth it. he enjoys attending the class. overall i would say if your child is already quite good at the subject, you might not see a marked improvement immediately. this applies to most enrichment classes.

my son is not as enthusiastic about the maths class though...he just started last month and complain the teacher is boring and gals in the class too chatty....headache.

haha, Jess, yeah, you're right about the need to follow up even though there's enrichment.

For me, I let her join an English enrichment class mainly to stretch her becos I am not sure how I can stretch her myself. She has a mind of her own and sometimes does not listen to me. On top of that, English is my second language, but it is her first, so sometimes she doesn't agree with me when I tell her to do this and that, or not to do this and that. But when the instructions come from a teacher, they are different. I'm more relaxed about English becos she's okay in her foundation, so I basically throw the whole thing to enrichment so that I can cut down on one thing to help her in.

Oh oh mummies, if you read Chinese books, do pick up this book “好妈妈胜过好老师". One of the mummies recommended this book on her blog and I bought it. Very good! I realised I got some misconceptions about raising a child and they are all in there eg. I thought I should make my kid read aloud the Chinese stories so that I can check on her word recognition. As a result, she reads slowly. The author said that this is bad reading. Good reading should be 'read quickly, read widely' sort of approach. By deliberating on the individual characters, it can cause the child to lose interest.

Rains,
I think reading quickly and widely is good to encourage young readers. But sometimes, the kid may end up just chasing the plot and learnt nothing much. I suppose that is one of the reasons why some parents say that their kids read widely but their creative writing not very good...

Rains,
I have just read the reviews of 好妈妈胜过好老师, seems to be a very good read. Did you buy the book locally or online? How much is it?

Jess,
Actually I chanced upon it at Sun Plaza at a small scale book fair which sells one copy for every book they have. I don't know which bookshop that is tho. It cost $12 plus.

I think reading quickly may not seem beneficial to the kids now, it's probably supposed to benefit them in the long run. I like the author's view about mastering languages in that it's a marathon which is in line with mine.

Some mothers bought it from this China dangdang website: http://product.dangdang.com/product.aspx?product_id=20464285&ref=search-1-A

Mummies,

Just to share with you, I went to T3 with my kids on National Day. Got a giant slide (3-storey high) at the Arrival Hall, just beside the lift. But you need to spend $30 at T3 for 2 rides. We spent it on food before we started our activities there.

Alternatively, the kids can play on the one-storey slide at B2 (also beside the lift) which is foc and unlimited rides.

Also got YOG mini challenges for kids, esp boys - boxing challenge, trampoline and soccer challenge, but I think don't do the soccer challenge, it looks painful to kick the ball.

Mummies,

The blog of the author of the good book: http://wyy91.blog.sohu.com/

I did a search on singaporemotherhood and realised that someone is doing a spree on the dang dang website but the latest spree is closed. I'm quite sure the spree will be up again.

I was at Popular IMM on Sat...popped in at City Sq outlet after dinner yest...fell in love with the City Sq outlet as it is more spacious and easier to find what I want. IMM outlet is rather squashy now as part of the store has been given up.

TO ALL FELLOW MUMMIES HERE, just an advise, don't go to ZOOPHONICS I have poor experience and they are holding on to deposits to tie you down and treat your child badly once you give them a month's notice. Please bewarned. Siglap branch is the worst! The receptionist Lily is a hypocrite who keep persuading you to pay and pay and promise 'empty' promises. The whole school is a scam with so many complaints againts the school. I am looking for moms who have not being refunded their deposits to approach me by pm to get together to complain to CASE. THOMSON AND SIGLAP BRANCH ESPECIALLY.

I m looking for a good tutor for Maths & Science for my P4. Let me know if u mommies know of any good one.

Wen,
is learning lab good in their Maths n Science?

VQ, your gal no more taking classes at the center near your place? My boy started Maths classes with LL last month so I've yet to see results. Materials from their Maths class looks like those from typical Maths enrichment. Their English materials is more impressive. Not sure about their Science but I heard a friend saying they have a package for Maths and Science though I've not enquired. I might consider that later.

Someone told me there's this place called Formation Centre at Chancery Court that offers rather good Maths and Science programs. I've not checked them out coz my boy is pro-LL mainly due to their cool-looking classrooms :S...abit lame but that's what i myself like too...

Hi! How did your kids do for the CA2? My boy made some improvements and less careless mistakes this time round. Hope he will keep it up!

Wen,
I had stopped taking my girl to the centre for tution since may. had engage home tutors for her. 1 for english, 1 for chinese n 1 for maths n science. English n Chinese is good. but for science, i still think she needs to do experiments to hv better understanding...

for CA2:
English - i hv no doubts cos the tutor is fantastic! althou fees exp but worth it!

Chinese - new lady tutor from china. very good! last time, my girl chinese compre, always below average, nw she got 10/10 for compre!

Maths n science - improve fm Band 2 n 3 to Band 1(85%), but still not enough! i wanted her to improve by getting 90%.

Dont worry, i wont force my girl. I jus told her it would be better if she can get 90% n above!! Heehee.... DH n i nvr scold her for her results. cos this time, i can c she really put in efforts for revision.

Wen,
i had check out on Formation Centre but too bad the timing doesn't fit into my girls' schedule. i do hope next yr she can fit into Formation Centre for Science.

hi mummies,
Happened to see this thread. I have a year 2000 girl and a 2003 boy. I am havivng headache with my girl as she has done very bad in her CA2 especailly science. All her results are band 3. I have engaganed her a 1-to-1 tuition but not much improvement. 2 Math tutors have given up on her arready. The English and Chinese progress very slow.

VQ,
Seems like the tutors you got for your kid are very good. May I know how you get them. I have changed 2 math tutors for my girl and now I really don't know how I can get a good tutor for her math and science.

Hi Cath,

Do u alway hv a home tutor for ur girl? Probably, she does not like 1-to-1. She prefers to go tuition centre?

I understand the stress for looking for a "PREFECT" tutor for our children! This is TORTURING!!!

My Eng tutor use to teach in a tuition ctr which my girl went. then she quits n my girl's schedule cant fit the ctr, so i called up the eng tutor. she is a full time teacher in a branded school in bishan. My girl is rank no.5 in P4 for Eng in her sch. Althou very exp but worth the $$$!!

My Chinese tutor, i found her on the web ads. i always think chinese still need to find a teacher fm china. i called her up and she takes up the challenge to train my girl to write good chinese characters, good compo n good compre. she herself said she will be pai-seh if my girl did not improve. she wont dare to continue teaching her too! So i m ok with this agreement! Hahaha... Morever, her compre improves for CA2. she is a nice lady!

Maths & Science tutor, recommended by my BIL. he said his fren engage this tutor bcos his son is a FAIL for maths. then later he become band 1. But my girl improvement on maths is VERY SLOW!!! And this tutor will stop the lesson if he finds that he does not hv chemistry with ur child. cos my niece taught by him was those very bo-chap type. whenever this tutor ask: any questions to ask me? any problem with your school work? do u understand?, etc.... my niece just turn deaf ear n no response. so after a mth, the tutor stop teaching her liao.. But my chitty girl, keep on chit-chat with him, tells him what happen in sch, etc.... He is a soft-spoken n neat tutor.

I m nw looking for a Science tutor for my girl as i think this tutor is better in Maths n probably he should just concentrate on Maths for my girl.

Anyway, we mommies's headache will nvr end......

Hi VQ,
I had tried to put my girl in tuition centre before but she has no improvement at all, I tried both English and Math and Chinese, all the teacher at the centre advice me to get 1-to-1 tuition for her instead of group tuition. In fact, one of the tuition teacher even advice me not to waste money to put her in the tuition cnetre anymore. Therefore, with so many same advice, I eventually started her a 1-to-1 tuition for English, Chinese and Math except science, after few months of tuition, very little improvement. Sigh! I think maybe is the problem with my girl, not the tutors.

Currently I am also looking for a tutor who can teach my girl both Math and Science. Hopefully can get a good one that is patience enough to teach her. So far, 2 tutors have given up on her because she is also like your niece, bo-chap type.

Actully I have been thinking of an alternative choice, quiting my job and be a full time mother to teach her myself. But my hubby don't agree as he said our family need both of our income to support the family of six...

Hi Cath,
My boys are also born in 2000 and 2003. Are the CA2 papers for your girl very difficult? How did her classmates fare? I heard that some schools set very tough or even P5 questions, to prepare the kids. Maybe you should sit down and have a good talk with her before deciding to engage tutors. My view is that the child must have the correct attitude to begin with, else tuition may not help.

Hi VQ, you engage so many tutors for your gal? Won't her schedule be fully packed?

Jess,
My girl does not hv any other activities, like Ballet, piano,etc... Only Swimming, which SHE LOVES IT!!!

So other than her school extra lessons, she is very free. As she is in PM session, i arrange for her tutors to come in the morning. So after sch, she is still very free n can do homework, revision, watch TV, play games, etc....

But most of all, she likes all her tutor n can chit-chat with them. Before i engage them, i told them, my girl would like lively teaching methods, else she will feel bored!

I agree with u that the child must hv correct attitude to begin with tuition.

Back