MMI @ katong shopping centre

nuahcouple & rabbit

i agree, the price of HDB at marine is really rocket high!! i used to stay there too before i hv my 2 kids & may move back BUT not becoz of schools. my hubby likes the surrounding environment.
as for schools, of coz tao nan is the highly sought after, so even if i'm staying there i wont enrol my kids coz chances are very slim.

elaine

if u putting ZH in Kong Hwa, then he & chloe may be classmates again
biggrin.gif

hi rabbit,
lucky you manage to convince the teacher in charge to change the teaching method. BTW, how old is your son?

hi nuahcouple,
the schools at MP are quite hard to get in. Which school are you aiming for?

hi small bell,

My son is Mar06 baby, now in short vowel 'i'. Had completed short vowel 'a'. He is reading Peter and Jane book 2a. What about u?

Hi Jamie,

Yup. He is 4 yo in terms of year.

Aside phonics,he learns chinese classic in temple. He has been learning LUN YU and it will take about a year to finish learning this classic. Then he will progress to learn other chinese classic eg: 300 TANG POEMS, SAN ZHI JIN.

nuahcouple
that's fast. time really flies! lil brother or sis for Chloe?
happy.gif

we just moved to old airport rd 2 wks ago. in fact, we bought the hse 4yrs back. then no kids, so didn't think of surrounding schools. now with kids, we r worrying now. the nearest one to us is Kong Hwa. We were also aiming at Tao Nan initially. But it's so popular i doubt we stand any chance like what Jamie said. There's CHIJ but since it's a girl's sch, it means going thru the whole searching process twice. So prob we are left with no other choice.

Hi all,

actually I dun mind bedok as the hses are much cheaper bt only left with red swawstika n location my hb dun really like...he prefer MP as hv buses, supermarkets etc...bt after viewing 2 hses in MP....he said mayb get a small pte apt n move again once Chloe enters school as the prices in MP is too ridiculous....btw can check...one hv 2 chances of buying HBD right be it a resale or Brand new? We only left with 1 chance.

My parents said buy old airport too bt only 1 school there...Kong Hwa and we prefer to play safe...at least must hv 2 shcool. Do you know the HDB at cassia crescent cost ard $600K - $700K or more which is crazy...so hv said might as well buy pte!!! he said he will not pay more than $500k for a HDB.........the point blk at MP is asking for $700K-$900K!!!!!

We are thinkning if we really move to MP HDB or Pte apt...1st choice I would prefer Tao nan since we are gonna pay so much for the hse there..just give it a shot....

Actually I need some advice here..cna help me rank the below schools :

1) Tao Nan
2) CHIJ
3) Haig Girls
4) Ngee Ann
5) Katong Convent

btw my 2nd bb is gonna be a girl so I still can opt for girls school even though both HB and me dun really like all girls school..bt no choice liao if Tan nan cannot get in...

nuahcouple
$600k - $700k at cassia crescent??? that's way too much!! that same amt can get u a maisonette at Dakota Crescent already.

I would rank according to your ranking too except i'll drop off CHIJ and Haig Girls if it' for Ethan. btw Katong Covent is sec school right?

hi nuahcouple,
wow, MP at 700K. My goodness, still need to consider the costly renovation as MP flats are rather old.

Well, CHIJ and Katong Convent are the same school (i am ex student there). Like babyethan mention, Katong Convent is secondary school. Tao Nan would be quite difficult to get in.

Hi All,

The HDB price is indeed crazy. How can residents who earn average income able to afford?

If this continues, i wonder how does next generation survive?

nuahcouple
the 1st link is my blk! yeah prices at my place here hv increased quite a fair bit. there are 3 renovations in my blk since last mth! i guess the hike in price really didnt make any diff for these ppl.

my ranking same as u if both my kids are girls. infact my hubby likes CHIJ
biggrin.gif
but i wouldnt want to go thru the whole balloting process twice, really kinda stressful leh.
my choice now would be kong hwa, ngee ann & tanjong katong primary.

Jamie,

that's why hb refused to pay so much for HDB!!! plus hv to spend a huge amt on reno also..sigh sigh...headache..

btw is tanjong Katong primary good? heard that it's like an international school!!! also it's combination of Haig boys and moutbatten ;) I used to study in mountbatten ... kekekeke.....

nuahcouple

actually i'm not sure if tanjong katong primary is good but there seems to be no other schools liao. my hubby did went to check out their webby, the school seems quite new. but he feels there are quite alot of ah nei leh
biggrin.gif

i would think if schools not near our house, chances will be reduced, as priority will be given to those within 1km & siblings. just hv to give it a try lor. if by then i moved house, i will still try kong hwa for my 1st choice, using my mum's address.

jamie,

think u cannot use ur mom's address as they will check here and there as initially my eldest bro also wanna use his mil's address for Tao nan school bt decided not too now....so they are hving headace also as they die die wanna send their kids to tao nan..so they wanna rent a apartment near to tao nan....

sigh sigh why no kids goes to school also diff!!

yes, tanjong katong Pri has lots of ah nei ;) which we dun really like too.

which is ur primary school?

nuahcouple

i thought can, just tell them (if kenna query) that my mum is the caregiver & my kids are staying with her?? if really cant then no choice, move later lor. really headache finding good schools for our kids.

my primary/secondary school is Kuo Chuan Presbyterian, formally at joo chiat road (current haig girls' premises), now its at bishan

jamie,

oh kuo chuan is a good school leh bt too bad at bishan...

ya now so diff to find schools for kids...as for ur mum is a caregiver...they will make sure ur kids are staying with them..sigh sigh....

hi jamie,
oh, same question as nuahcouple. I thought cannot use your mom address, must be the actual owner of the address location.

smallbell

hv to change address i guess. same applies to those ppl renting house. will see how it goes when the time comes

hi jamie,
we havent decide to choose kong hwa or maha bodhi but if i'm still working in kong hwa when Zh is ready for sch i really dont mind putting him in that sch cos the new kong hwa will be single session and there will be a student care centre directly in the school. Whereas maha bodhi still operates 2 session and there isnt any student care in e sch premises itself. So far I really like the sch and the teachers and also e higher chinese teaching for all children from P1 to P4....
hope chloe n Zh can become classmates again... but still got few year to go :p
btw ur current address is not old airport road meh?? if really not n u want to put ur mum's address I think u have to submit a employment letter to say tat u r working then chloe is under ur mum's care... not very sure abt the procedure. Anything is dont forget to try to become a parent's volunteer to get another chance to get into the school.

smallbell.... u can consider putting patrick in kong hwa too
happy.gif
heehee

hi elaine,
you happen to stay near maha bodhi? as now the babysitter for my gal is staying at ubi, just opposite this school.

hi smallbell,
ya i'm staying at ubi.... not very far from maha bodhi.... thought u sending ur baby to infant care?? now still at nanny? which block?/ 318??

hi elaine,

I live in Circuit Road.

hi mommies,
Anyone know any good enrichment centre nearby? Be it arts, english, chinese, math, music lesson anything good for pre-schoolers.

I will be moving to Punggol in 3 years time.

hi elaine,
still putting at nanny as the cherie heart infant care not open yet. nanny staying at blk 327. For the student care should be alright, as i suppose they only need in lower primary, then can walk home from maha bodhi when they are in upper primary.

Hi elaine,

not all school allows or hv vacancy for volunteer work leh...my bro and sil submitted and call a few times to nan hua school last time and no vacancy and nothing for them to do volunteer work!!

Wow kong hwa is a single session and hv student care....good leh...

elaine
both my mum & my address is not old airport road. its cassia crescent. actually i didnt really plan so far yet coz now property price is still quite high so most likely will stay put unless property mkt collapse
biggrin.gif

i thought by then most schools will hv adopt 1 session. honestly i dont really like kong hwa, i feel the students there are quite nerdy leh & school very chinese. so its only the close proximity that i like & i also dont hv much choice in my area. i dont intend to do volunteer work coz it doesnt guarantee a place in the school. u intend to do?

mummies,

staying near school or doing volunteer work indeed does not guarantee a plc in the school....

As for us, we intend to sell fast for our property as currently there are ard 40 units on sale liao in our EC...if we delay further...we might not be able to get the price we want....so hopefully we are able to sell our unit...also 1 of our irresponsible neigbours has moved back a few days back and all of us dun really like them.

Bcos of the other 3 units they rented out their unit bt now they are back again and hopefully not in action...if not.....hmmmm

also, since we are moving hence, might as well move to somewhere near to my parents, location convienence and most of us must hv at least 2 schools ard in case one of the school we can't get.....

bbethan
ya lor we really dont hv much choice. but since there's positive feedback fr elaine so i guess its not that bad lah.

nuahcouple
yes its always good to stay near parents thats y i move back after birth. my mum just stay opp my blk so its easier for her to drop by & help out.
i agree with bbethan, sell high but will hv to buy high since your preferred location doesnt come cheap leh.

hi babyethan n jamie,
so far i find Kong hwa not too bad leh.... at least their academic performance quite good... PSLE results is always quite good with lots of students getting 250 and above
happy.gif
wat i mean abt alot is more than 20 students get that resultsalthought i cant remember e exact number.... as for other sch like tao nan i think their academic also very sch but tanjong katong pri seems like not tat good...

smallbell,
oh..didnt know e infant care still not open yet.... so everyday u will come to ubi to look at ur little girl??

jamie,
maha bodhi dont accept volunteer but so most likely i will do parent volunteer for kong hwa, PV dont guarantee a place but u will be put in phase 2b then if need ballot n cant get in then u can try again in phase 2c... at least got 1 more chance to try
happy.gif

elaine
within 1km is which phase? aiyo even u dont stay near kong hwa, already intend to do PV. makes me think twice & buck up!!
biggrin.gif

my hubby also dont think much for tanjong katong primary, so most likely will be our last choice.

jamie
want to ask u abt the facilities near our house. it seems like there r no prov shops like econ minimart type right? or is it me who haven't explore the area enuf. i find myself so handicapped with the area. stuff in NTUC v limited. where do u usually gets yr daily neccessities?

hi elaine,
i only go on fri night to pick up baby and return to nanny on sunday night. If go daily, then can visit you. But not quite likely that i go daily as the travelling distance is also quite far.
happy.gif

bbethan
i would say my area (cassia crescent) is better equipped with provision facilities like econ minimart, bakery & wet market. but usually i do my grocery in cold storage at leisure park as food there is the most fresh. sometimes i will shop at ntuc in toa payoh after i drop my gal to school. coz like u said the ntuc here is really quite pathetic although its 24hrs. i would only grab things like bread & fresh milk from econ minimart coz some things are not that fresh & been kept for quite a while.

smallbell
when will the infant care be ready?

bbethan,

yes can be tricky...and yes hv to pay high for HDB in MP..bt all along the property in MP is always high regardless gd or bad mkt bcos of school.....after viewing 2 flats in MP, hb also said might as well buy pte in TK.... and move agin once C enters school....as hb said he will not pay more than 500k for HDB!!! pengz ...bt the prices in TK also not cheap wor..sigh sigh

nuahcouple
hey... the other day was talking to auntie sally from the sch. she was mentioning abt considering to sell her hse in TK. maybe u can ask her... hehe... but hers is landed pty so i dun know how much she's asking for.

hi jamie,
infant care will be open next month. But still hesitating to put so soon as that will mean i need to wake up for night feed.
sad.gif

Back