IVF/ICSI Support Group

I strongly agree. When I underwent the first IVF 4 years back, I still went back to work, in a middle-sized law firm. It was so stressful and on the day that the managing director scolded me in front of another colleague and threw the stack of files to the floor, my AF arrived that night, after clinic closing hours. My hubby quickly called KK 24 hours O &G, and they told him to bring me down straightaway. Seeing the amount of blood that I had lost, the doctor said likely that I had miscarriage already. So it is best not to work during the 2ww of IVF.

I'm sorry to hear that sweetie *hugs*

Are you trying again?

I have the same thots as u gals. Ivf babies are so precious. But when we first told my mil abt my bfp, she asked Isit natural? My whole mind went blank. My hub just said yes. Din want to elaborate more. Totally dun understand the relevance of her qn. My mum on the other hand was sooo thrilled that we finally succeeded. Who cares whether it's ivf or not right! Ivf babies will never be inferior in any way!!!

Anyway I wanted to share my ivf journey with u gals as well. I only succeeded at my 5th try. Did 3 fresh n only made it at my 2nd frozen. For my failed cycles I tried almost everything. Endo scratching, intralipid infusion, dr zou tcm med & acu, tcm tsb, blastocyst. Ate pineapple core, Brazil nuts, egg white, red bean soup, chicken essence, etc.

For my bfp cycle I continued with tsb, had red date longan tea everyday, rested my legs in half a pail of warm water. Also i went bk to work the day after ET. I had bad cramps at ard 9dp2dt and thot all hopes are gone cos I had it for all my bfn cycles. I even went to the gym. Only when I missed my period then I tested with an expired stick which showed a positive! Next day immediately bot a new one with the same result. Really couldn't believe my eyes.

So ladies pls continue to try and don't give up!! We must continue to be hopeful and I believe all of us will succeed. Just a matter of time but continue trying!! I hope my story has inspired and encouraged u :)
Thanks for sharing ur story, ur story really have me a glimpse of hope and see some light, hope we can be out of the woods one day...

I'm sorry to hear that sweetie *hugs*

Are you trying again?

Hi littlemonkies,

Well, due to my advanced maternal age (39) and also multiple miscarriages history in the past 4 years, Dr Loh SF referred me to see recurrent miscarriages Professor Choolani. We consulted him in his private suite on July 22, had gone through very detailed tests, both myself and my hubby; and we will be reviewing the results with Prof this Friday at 11 a.m. Then he will advise whether we can try to conceive again. If he gives us the go ahead, then we will try during our USA trip in early Oct. It will be ideal if we can get the BFP during this long-haul trip journey.

Think you have to check with your gynae if you they can do an endo scratch for you. It's normally done the cycle before you do your ET.

What is endometrial scratching?
The lining of the uterus (the endometrium) is gently ‘scratched’ using a thin catheter (a fine, flexible, sterile, plastic tube) which is passed through the cervix.

Embryo implantation should occur five to six days after natural fertilisation or following embryo transfer, when the embryo embeds into the lining of the uterus to continue its development.

Who may benefit from endometrial scratching?
Midland Fertility offers endometrial scratching to women who have had more than two IVF, ICSI or FET cycles which resulted in a negative pregnancy test, despite having good quality embryos.

How does scratching help implantation?
New research and evidence suggests that scratching the uterine lining causes a ‘repair reaction’ which may increase embryo implantation rates.

How much is the endo scratch ?

hi wynn0404, i went thru subsidised route, seen dr tan tse yuen twice, n other gynae on duty on appt date. price wise much cheaper like $30 plus minus per consultation, meds also much cheaper. but subsidised patient usually see diff doc.
for ivf once referred in will be considered private patient. i was referred by dr tan tse yuen but chose to switch to dr hh tan cause of his reviews here. medisave usage and govt grant will all be same..
Thanks for sharing, I have personally text you.

Morning,

Need some advice, done 2 IUI failed. Currently at my 1st IVF fresh cycle and did ER on Tues 22 Sep and schedule for ET on this coming Fri at KKH.

The tummy cramp after ER is quite bad at night until I couldn't sleep well for the past 2 days. I had been laying on bed most of the time but the cramp goes on n off. Had been taking panadol at night, but is it safe for me to take after the ET procedure on Fri?

By the way, my tummy is now more bloated and swollen compare to before ER procedure, is this normal?

Thanks in advance.

Dear sisters, sorry to share bad news here.
At 4+am this morning, was awaken by a sharp pain in my abdominal area. Went to toilet and passed out big chunks of liver like tissues.
Woke hb up and he scooped up the tissues (sorry tmi) and we headed down to KKH O&G.
Throughout it all, I was very calm (hb says scarily calm) and composed. No tears, I think it's becos I always had this niggling feeling that sth is wrong so I was alr prepared for this day to come. And becos I have been thru a stillborn @ 24wks so this was considerably less heartbreaking.
We didn't have to wait too long. Doc took our tissues samples and took blood from me.
Results came back after 2 hrs. Beta has dropped from 73 to 29.
Currently still resting in observation ward.
I'm OK... Will look forward to my FET before end of this year. May not want to go thru a second fresh as quite traumatised by the bleeding episodes etc. Come what may.
Hope the stork visits all sisters here with good news soon and no one has to go thru this.

Last edited:
At 4+am this morning, was awaken by a sharp pain in my abdominal area. Went to toilet and passed out big chunks of liver like tissues.
Woke hb up and he scooped up the tissues (sorry tmi) and we headed to KKH O&G.
Throughout it all, I was very calm (hb says scarily calm) and composed. No tears, I think it's becos I always had this niggling feeling that sth is wrong so I knew this day would come. And prob becos I have been thru a stillborn @ 24wks so this was alot less heartbreaking.
We didn't have to wait too long. Doc took our tissues samples and took blood from me.
I'm OK... Will look forward to my FET before end of this year. May not want to go thru another fresh as quite traumatised by the bleeding episodes etc. Come what may.
Hope the stork visits all sisters here with good news soon.

I'm so sorry for your loss. Stay strong, have a good cry, rest & recover well soon.
My prayers are with you and your hubby.
Lots of love and tight, warm hug.

Wynn0404, and ladies, just want to add on as I just read some previous posts re qns on red dates and pre-IVF prep.

The ginger and longan drink guideline i mentioned previously is for after egg retrieval. If you are looking to condition your uterus and prepare for IVF cycle, best start at least 3 months before the IVF start.

You need to confirm the starting condition of your uterus and ovaries first and along the preparation period, monitor the overall health condition (whether heaty, damp, cold or any sickness) as there are different foods appropriate for specific condition. E.g. before IVF cycle, if my body not heaty, I will drink longan, red dates + wolf berries (without ginger as boiled ginger should not be taken daily for long term while it is ok to have a bit daily but fried as in a chinese dish) moderately but I stop when starting stims. I also always have 八珍 once a month but stop during IVF cycle. Now after embryo transfer, when I don't feel too heaty or badly constipated, I resume drinking the longan, red dates + wolf berries mix but very moderately. No chinese medicine food at all, only acupuncture. During stims, I have double boiled black beans soup (with pork bone & ribs, black fungus, garlic, ginger and a honey date/ 蜜枣) but note this is not suitable for women with cyst/fibroids/PCOS/endo condition.

I have started TCM consultation with acupuncture after my first failed ICSI and have since continued till now. I learned a lot from my TCM doc and also confirm based on research. If you have sickness, TCM seek to treat before conditioning or conditioning to complement western treatment. When you have treated any sickness, you should have a balanced baseline (regular cycle, ovulating cycle, healthy womb plus overall good health, without over heaty or damp or cold). Thereafter I would advocate that the objective of lifestyle and diet is to maintain balance plus actions/ foods that complement IVF treatments. After that, they are foods to complement IVF cycle to help body cope with the strong stims medication and rough procedures, then to support luteal phase bearing in mind that estrogen and progesterone medication will already be taken.

TCM consultation & treatment is expensive but it has given me a lot of assurance that I am doing things right and weekly checking that my body and reproductive system is in apt condition. Even for DH, while there is no specific medication or treatment that guarantees that his sperm quality can recover, TCM has indeed helped in his overall health. His health has deterioted since starting high BP medication which he cannot stop and used to fall sick every other month. He took longer to recover whenever taken ill even with antibiotics. Since starting TCM to complement a conscious healthy lifestyle, he has only caught throat inflammation once and recovered speedily without antibiotics.

For my prep, I found info from 2 books assuring and reliable:
1. "It Starts with the Egg: How the Science of Egg Quality Can Help You Get Pregnant Naturally, Prevent Miscarriage, and Improve Your Odds in IVF" by Fett, Rebecca
2. "Feed Your Fertility: Your Guide to Cultivating a Healthy Pregnancy with Chinese Medicine, Real Food, and Holistic Living" by Bartlett, Emily

I wish I have know more and have started doing much more even before I started my first ICSI. But I really didn't know what i was getting into until this journey started. Once you get into IVF, egg quality is really important as it is the only factor that determines the ability to repair any DNA damage and any hope for compensating issues with the sperm, and also up chances for implantation.

it is hard when people assume that if you are dealing only with male factor, sure more easily succeed with IVF. Actually it's tough either way. Even my parents cannot understand why need to go through ICSI since only sperm issue. They insist that just try naturally sure can conceive anyway. As they are not supportive, while I know they are worried of the side effects on me, I refrained from sharing with them too much as it is hard to see their disapproving look. As time goes by, the isolation increases as you start to only find out indirectly your friends' pregnancies or deliveries, and fewer and fewer friends connect with you... Fortunately there is this forum where I found strength from ladies who get us.

Sorry long post and I'm getting emo. Anyway, I am still waiting for the stars and moon to align to get my BFP. While not yet there, I have seen positive improvement in my egg quantity and quality (fingers cross for embies to stick). As I have benefitted from your advice in this forum, I do hope I can contribute to help in anyway.

Jia you everyone!! :)
Thank your for sharing

Wynn0404, and ladies, just want to add on as I just read some previous posts re qns on red dates and pre-IVF prep.

The ginger and longan drink guideline i mentioned previously is for after egg retrieval. If you are looking to condition your uterus and prepare for IVF cycle, best start at least 3 months before the IVF start.

You need to confirm the starting condition of your uterus and ovaries first and along the preparation period, monitor the overall health condition (whether heaty, damp, cold or any sickness) as there are different foods appropriate for specific condition. E.g. before IVF cycle, if my body not heaty, I will drink longan, red dates + wolf berries (without ginger as boiled ginger should not be taken daily for long term while it is ok to have a bit daily but fried as in a chinese dish) moderately but I stop when starting stims. I also always have 八珍 once a month but stop during IVF cycle. Now after embryo transfer, when I don't feel too heaty or badly constipated, I resume drinking the longan, red dates + wolf berries mix but very moderately. No chinese medicine food at all, only acupuncture. During stims, I have double boiled black beans soup (with pork bone & ribs, black fungus, garlic, ginger and a honey date/ 蜜枣) but note this is not suitable for women with cyst/fibroids/PCOS/endo condition.

I have started TCM consultation with acupuncture after my first failed ICSI and have since continued till now. I learned a lot from my TCM doc and also confirm based on research. If you have sickness, TCM seek to treat before conditioning or conditioning to complement western treatment. When you have treated any sickness, you should have a balanced baseline (regular cycle, ovulating cycle, healthy womb plus overall good health, without over heaty or damp or cold). Thereafter I would advocate that the objective of lifestyle and diet is to maintain balance plus actions/ foods that complement IVF treatments. After that, they are foods to complement IVF cycle to help body cope with the strong stims medication and rough procedures, then to support luteal phase bearing in mind that estrogen and progesterone medication will already be taken.

TCM consultation & treatment is expensive but it has given me a lot of assurance that I am doing things right and weekly checking that my body and reproductive system is in apt condition. Even for DH, while there is no specific medication or treatment that guarantees that his sperm quality can recover, TCM has indeed helped in his overall health. His health has deterioted since starting high BP medication which he cannot stop and used to fall sick every other month. He took longer to recover whenever taken ill even with antibiotics. Since starting TCM to complement a conscious healthy lifestyle, he has only caught throat inflammation once and recovered speedily without antibiotics.

For my prep, I found info from 2 books assuring and reliable:

I wish I have know more and have started doing much more even before I started my first ICSI. But I really didn't know what i was getting into until this journey started. Once you get into IVF, egg quality is really important as it is the only factor that determines the ability to repair any DNA damage and any hope for compensating issues with the sperm, and also up chances for implantation.

it is hard when people assume that if you are dealing only with male factor, sure more easily succeed with IVF. Actually it's tough either way. Even my parents cannot understand why need to go through ICSI since only sperm issue. They insist that just try naturally sure can conceive anyway. As they are not supportive, while I know they are worried of the side effects on me, I refrained from sharing with them too much as it is hard to see their disapproving look. As time goes by, the isolation increases as you start to only find out indirectly your friends' pregnancies or deliveries, and fewer and fewer friends connect with you... Fortunately there is this forum where I found strength from ladies who get us.

Sorry long post and I'm getting emo. Anyway, I am still waiting for the stars and moon to align to get my BFP. While not yet there, I have seen positive improvement in my egg quantity and quality (fingers cross for embies to stick). As I have benefitted from your advice in this forum, I do hope I can contribute to help in anyway.

Jia you everyone!! :)

Woke hb up and he scooped up the tissues (sorry tmi) and we headed down to KKH O&G.
Throughout it all, I was very calm (hb says scarily calm) and composed. No tears, I think it's becos I always had this niggling feeling that sth is wrong so I was alr prepared for this day to come. And becos I have been thru a stillborn @ 24wks so this was considerably less heartbreaking.
I'm OK... Will look forward to my FET before end of this year. May not want to go thru a second fresh as quite traumatised by the bleeding episodes etc. Come what may.
Hope the stork visits all sisters here with good news soon and no one has to go thru this.
You are so brave!
Take care and rest well.
Jia you!

Big hugs**** please take care. Give a pat on your shoulder,u are so brave,gal. I pray that e next 1 you can succeed to full term. Hope all can walk this journey with result of a happy smile in e end.

Both you and hubby are very brave! Stay strong and prepare yourself for FET

Thank your for sharing

Awesome sis!! Thanks for the updates..yeah we are woman of various shapes, conditions , needs etc.. its good to know so many different concepts, methods n ways to improve our egg quality n implantation which many of our friends, relatives does not even share even they went for ivf as well. Sad...

Thanks sisters..

*hugs* I'm so sorry to hear that sister. We are all in this together, don't be sorry to post your struggles here. We will walk through the entire process with you. Jiayou for the coming FET.

Many many hugs dearie, recondition your body and take care dear

Morning,

Need some advice, done 2 IUI failed. Currently at my 1st IVF fresh cycle and did ER on Tues 22 Sep and schedule for ET on this coming Fri at KKH.

The tummy cramp after ER is quite bad at night until I couldn't sleep well for the past 2 days. I had been laying on bed most of the time but the cramp goes on n off. Had been taking panadol at night, but is it safe for me to take after the ET procedure on Fri?

By the way, my tummy is now more bloated and swollen compare to before ER procedure, is this normal?

Thanks in advance.

Sister, I did my ER just yesterday and I do feel some strange hollow pain around the abdomen too.

Most people say that the pain from extraction can be quite jialat so I don't think what you are feeling is abnormal. You do need to monitor to ensure it does not turn into OHSS though. Your hospital should have given you some write-ups on the symptoms of OHSS.

Hi littlemonkies,

Well, due to my advanced maternal age (39) and also multiple miscarriages history in the past 4 years, Dr Loh SF referred me to see recurrent miscarriages Professor Choolani. We consulted him in his private suite on July 22, had gone through very detailed tests, both myself and my hubby; and we will be reviewing the results with Prof this Friday at 11 a.m. Then he will advise whether we can try to conceive again. If he gives us the go ahead, then we will try during our USA trip in early Oct. It will be ideal if we can get the BFP during this long-haul trip journey.

Hope all goes well! You tried Chinese medicine? I am going to Ban Choon Chan, the doctor's medicine does quite a good job of regulating my womb's 'qi'

Morning,

Thanks in advance.

Hi Euns.

For my first fresh cycle, I came down with mild OHSS. Ovaries swelling caused my abdomen to be very swollen, sore and very tender. I was even spotting 2 days later when my ET was due. Throughout I could not walk straight and could not get on/off bed or car without help.

This is considered normal if you have many follicles during stims and use HCG to trigger maturation of the eggs for egg collection. This article from a doc explains quite well the reason - Are you at risk for Hyperstimulation Syndrome? by Daniel Potter, MD.
http://www.path2parenthood.org/article/are-you-at-risk-for-hyperstimulation-syndrome/

My clinic's guideline for post ER care suggest that to ease bloatedness you can drink water boiled with smashed ginger and dried longan. If too painful, you may take normal panadol, just one each time and only the normal type (not extra strong) type. Continue to eat protein rich foods and drink at least 2L of water. If your abdomen (2 fingers down from belly button) increases by 5 inches or more, or you have shortness of breath, seek medical attention immediately, call your clinic and go see your doc or go a&e.

The condition is self-limiting and should subside in time. Once not bloated anymore, stop the taking the boiled ginger. Continue protein rich foods and ensure hydration to prevent onslaught of worsened conditions if your body produces HCG again if you happen to BFP.

Hope this helps. Rest well and take good care. Hope all goes well for you. Hugs

Hope you feel better soon. Sometimes a good cry can help us to destress and get through a difficult time. Take care!

Hello, anyone here taking Chia seeds? I read that it is a very good source of anti oxidant and protein. There are articles recommending taking Chia seeds when trying to conceive. Any thoughts or personal experience?

I am sorry to hear that. *big hug* Please rest well and take care of your body. We are here for you anytime...

I think I have spent around $13-14K in total. I cannot remember. Let me go back and tabulate and give you the amount. I only remember the last payment was almost $10K.
Hi @missyscorpio Sorry I took so long to tabulate. I have paid $13,141.40 on the treatment right up to pregnancy BT and $2,303 for the medication. So total $15,444.44. Wah, so many 4s! :confused:

For those suffering from mild ohss, can try to up ur salt intake. If u have high content of salt in ur blood, it tends to draw back the fluid from ur abdomen into the blood to be flushed out from the body. Hope it helps

Hello, anyone here taking Chia seeds? I read that it is a very good source of anti oxidant and protein. There are articles recommending taking Chia seeds when trying to conceive. Any thoughts or personal experience?
I haven't succeeded taking chia seeds yet, and I've not heard it helps with conceiving before ..

Do make sure you soak them well before consuming because they are hydrophilic. I usually let it settle in water for at least 20 min.

Gal, sorry to hear this. No words can comfort you. Hugs and jia you!

Hello ladies, have your doctors ever told you what is the maximum number of times we should try IVF before we conclude that IVF will not help us attain our goal? I am just curious... Since govt funding is only 3x, is this indirectly saying that if we can't conceive after 3 tries, we should give up? Any thoughts?

@littlemonkies and @DawnBB
thanks for the advice.

I'll continue to monitor the swelling but I think I didn't take enough water as fear to pee. Just measure today twice in the morning and evening, it seem like my body temp is slightly higher than usual.

Guess I need to drink more before my ET tomorrow morning.

I have been taking chia seeds for more than 1 year. Usually i pour some into my overnight cereal, put into water or sprinkle some into my salad. Not sure for fertility purpose but for me, its because there are a lot of health benefits from chia seeds. U can google it. No harm taking since its not very expensive, easy to consume and comes with lotsa good benefit for health.

Sisters, can I be honest? As I am waiting for DH's soldiers to do their jobs, and waiting for my appointment with Dr. tmr morning, I am afraid.

I am afraid that out of 24 eggs, I will have less than 10 viable embryos. I am afraid that out of 10, I will have only a handful of blastocysts. I am afraid that the single transferred blastocyst will not make it. If that blastocyst does not make it, I will have to fall back on my frozen blastocysts but I am also afraid that they will not survive the freezing and thawing process. I am afraid that after a big round of pain and hope, I will be back to square one, with no baby to hold in my arms.

I am afraid.

I wished that I would have a just-right number of viable embryos that make it to the blastocyst stage. I wished that the one blastocyst will blossom into a beautiful baby. I wished that I will have another few blastocysts that survive the thawing process well so that my first baby will have a few other siblings to play with. I wish that this will be the first and last IVF cycle I ever have to embark on.

I am terrified and I do not know what to do about it. :(

Sisters, can I be honest? As I am waiting for DH's soldiers to do their jobs, and waiting for my appointment with Dr. tmr morning, I am afraid.

I am afraid that out of 24 eggs, I will have less than 10 viable embryos. I am afraid that out of 10, I will have only a handful of blastocysts. I am afraid that the single transferred blastocyst will not make it. If that blastocyst does not make it, I will have to fall back on my frozen blastocysts but I am also afraid that they will not survive the freezing and thawing process. I am afraid that after a big round of pain and hope, I will be back to square one, with no baby to hold in my arms.

I am afraid.

I wished that I would have a just-right number of viable embryos that make it to the blastocyst stage. I wished that the one blastocyst will blossom into a beautiful baby. I wished that I will have another few blastocysts that survive the thawing process well so that my first baby will have a few other siblings to play with. I wish that this will be the first and last IVF cycle I ever have to embark on.

All of us have been through your fears. But take it one step at a time, a day a time. Your counts are pretty good, a lot went on to succeed with lesser. Right now, you should try take your mind off as much as u can, watch tv play games or not eat snacks. Everything will fall in nicely.

I am afraid.

Dont be afraid, @littlemonkies

You have a lot of eggs, hw mani r matured?

I only had 14 eggs..and only haf 7 tt made it to blastocyst stage

Would you consider doing more before you do your first et? Seems like endo scratching does help in improving the success rate of implantation..also, do start to cut down on cold drinks as too sudden a change..our womb may not be able to take it

Doing a frozen transfer might be an ideal one becus ur body can rest first and also, dont worry abt the thawing part..for it to make to blasto stage, it is alr a v strong fighter!

Stay positive dear!

All of us have been through your fears. But take it one step at a time, a day a time. Your counts are pretty good, a lot went on to succeed with lesser. Right now, you should try take your mind off as much as u can, watch tv play games or not eat snacks. Everything will fall in nicely.

I will try, but it's overwhelming.

@littlemonkies and @DawnBB
thanks for the advice.

I'll continue to monitor the swelling but I think I didn't take enough water as fear to pee. Just measure today twice in the morning and evening, it seem like my body temp is slightly higher than usual.

Guess I need to drink more before my ET tomorrow morning.

Rest well, take care & wish all will go well for you. Hugs

Dont be afraid, @littlemonkies

You have a lot of eggs, hw mani r matured?

I only had 14 eggs..and only haf 7 tt made it to blastocyst stage

Would you consider doing more before you do your first et? Seems like endo scratching does help in improving the success rate of implantation..also, do start to cut down on cold drinks as too sudden a change..our womb may not be able to take it

Doing a frozen transfer might be an ideal one becus ur body can rest first and also, dont worry abt the thawing part..for it to make to blasto stage, it is alr a v strong fighter!

Stay positive dear!

I dunno how many have survived, or are matured. Doctor did not get to tell me much, except to ask whether I wanted everything to be fertilised and I said ok. I forgot to ask whether I could freeze the eggs without fertilisation. Doctor also told me she wants to get to blastocyst stage, and only 1 will be implanted. I can see the sense in that because she wants to avoid possibility of twin pregnancy. But I can't help but wonder why others get 2 and I only get 1 shot... if that 2 blastocyst does not make it, then.......

As it stands, I don't even know whether I will be having ET tmr because she just asked me to turn up. Nurse told me to fast and everything but no one has told me whether the embryos will be transferred tmr, or on Monday. The lack of information is killing me!

I am afraid.

Ivf is never a hundred percent success rate. Tell yourself that you did your best. The outcome you cannot control so you have to remain positive and have faith that you will succeed. Even if you don't you can always try again. As long as you persevere one day you will hold your little one in your arm. It's ok to be afraid but be strong for any outcome. All the best girl!

Ivf is never a hundred percent success rate. Tell yourself that you did your best. The outcome you cannot control so you have to remain positive and have faith that you will succeed. Even if you don't you can always try again. As long as you persevere one day you will hold your little one in your arm. It's ok to be afraid but be strong for any outcome. All the best girl!

I will try, jumbo girl... I have done my best. I just don't know whether if this doesn't work, whether i have the strength to go through another one. Thank you all for your support. It's strange isn't it? We all tell our deepest, darkest fears to a bunch of people we don't know in real life, but we get the best comfort because we all know exactly what the other person is going through.

I do love you ladies.

Back