IVF/ICSI Support Group

I don't mean to ask silly questions. Sorry ladies. I apologise because that was what shared with me. I will exit this group. Have a good day ladies.

You don't have to exit the group. Over here, everybody is helpful and you are welcome to ask question and talk abt ivf. But please be tactful because your words may hurt some of our feelings. And don't talk about ivf children like they are not normal children.

I agree with you. It's quite a lonely journey when people around you are not understanding enough. I sounded my parents out before I did my first IVF and as traditional parents, they also don't understand why need to do IVF. So I actually didn't share with them at all and went ahead quietly. And when I gave birth to my firstborn, I actually banked his cord blood cos I was afraid that being a IVF baby he may not be as healthy as those who were conceived naturally (see, I have been influenced by the same mentality as those disapproving people) plus it was a popular thing to do. When a friend gave birth to her first child, I actually asked her if she has intention to do bank her child's cord blood cos I could refer her. She replied to say "Don't think so since mine is not through IVF". Her response really hurt me deeply as though my child is some alien just because he was conceived with help.

It's really a tough journey so I hope we continue to encourage one another because only we know what one another is going through. Jia you and baby dust to you @DawnBB .
Sigh.. I think there are many ignorant ppl out there. Don't be hurt by their remarks. I'm lucky to have very supportive friends and family. And you know what? They think IVF babies are actually smarter Coz they are specially picked from the best egg and sperm! And I do feel my first born (conceived thru IVF too) is quite intelligent and I am so proud of him :)

Sorry ladies, maybe because i haven't shared my background. I have 2 boys already and nurse for 8 years until my breast has some issues. Have a good day ladies! So Sorry everyone. Didn't mean to be insensitive. I miscarriage twice after my 2 kids trying for third...and asked my gynae about IVF. she said gender can be determine by XY sperms. That's why i was asking... Have a good day!

I apologise for assuming about your boob job. Sorry about your miscarriages.

You are welcome to ask about IVF here. In SG, you cannot choose the gender.

Sorry ladies, maybe because i haven't shared my background. I have 2 boys already and nurse for 8 years until my breast has some issues. Have a good day ladies! So Sorry everyone. Didn't mean to be insensitive. I miscarriage twice after my 2 kids trying for third...and asked my gynae about IVF. she said gender can be determine by XY sperms. That's why i was asking... Have a good day!
Don't worry, don't have to exit - this is a support group where we see how best we can help one another. Since we know you are not here to pull pranks (from the way you put your sentences so casually, it gave us the impression) yeah, so in , we cannot choose the gender.

I agree with you. It's quite a lonely journey when people around you are not understanding enough. I sounded my parents out before I did my first IVF and as traditional parents, they also don't understand why need to do IVF. So I actually didn't share with them at all and went ahead quietly. And when I gave birth to my firstborn, I actually banked his cord blood cos I was afraid that being a IVF baby he may not be as healthy as those who were conceived naturally (see, I have been influenced by the same mentality as those disapproving people) plus it was a popular thing to do. When a friend gave birth to her first child, I actually asked her if she has intention to do bank her child's cord blood cos I could refer her. She replied to say "Don't think so since mine is not through IVF". Her response really hurt me deeply as though my child is some alien just because he was conceived with help.

It's really a tough journey so I hope we continue to encourage one another because only we know what one another is going through. Jia you and baby dust to you @DawnBB .
Yeah, I think it's not a good idea to share that the kids are via IVF as it may create probs - the older folks & ignorant peeps may think that they are weaker and worst if the kids may think they r different just becos they are via IVF

I don't think you read our thread. If you do, you would know how precious a child is to us here and we definitely wouldn't choose a boob job over a precious child. And that question! Why do you have to label them 'ivf kids'? It sounds like an insult. Children from IVF still come from egg and sperm. They are the same as other children. How a child behaves is from upbringing, not how a child is conceived!
Hi the_spinsterella, I totally agreed wif u...thumbs up to u. 'How a child behaves is from the upbringing from their parents, not how a child is conceived.'

Sure, after dawnbb use it I'll pass to you. :) Actually the CD is for downregulation, stimming and post ET.

@babyluck, I got the CD and tried it, very relaxing and enhanced my daily nap as I got into a deep sleep. This despite the worry nagging me after returning from PIO shot at clinic.
Confirmed with the_spinsteralla that I will be returning the CD to her after my use and she can pass to you.
Am so deeply grateful!

Hi to all sisters from KKH,
Anyone has go through Dr. Tan Tse Yuen, Dr. Sadhana or A/Prof Tan Heng Hao? What is your experience with them?

And what is the different in price for the IVF between a subsided and a private patient in KKH?

Do you mean hcg for pregnancy test?

DawnBB, are u referring to the HCG or Beta reading ?

My dr did not do any progesterone BT at all for my FET. However, I was asked to come for the PIO shot 3 times in the 2 weeks after ET. This is on top of twice daily crinone.

@koirc, hi! First of all, congrats! Must catch your baby dust :)
Not hcg, I meant progesterone.

@hopes , hi! :) opps, missed your reply earlier. I meant progesterone.

@the_spinsterella, hi again :)
I was not required to do progesterone BT for FET but only for fresh ICSI, need to do one week after ER.
I asked the nurse and also asked to see my BT report. Confirmed that actually my progesterone level at 65.7nmol/L is within the normal range, which is 5.3 - 86.0nmol/L for luteal phase.
This is sufficient to support pregnancy if implantation is successful. Just that Dr Loh has strict standard set at >100nmol/L.
The nurse tried to assure me because of this, many patients with fresh IVF/ICSI need to take the PIO shot. In addition, that she has seen patients with 25nmol/L getting BFP so ask me not to worry.
Think I must have looked v stressed at the clinic.

even after going thru a few 2wws, this another 2ww still rough leh

Last edited:
I am only taking folic acid ley...take more healthy natural food like fish and veggie? should help better...
This time round, i jab myself. less stress wor...the previous cycle, my hub jabbed me and aiyo, it was so damn messy..

@towkayneo, @babyluck. Wow! I salute both of you having the courage to self-jab. I can't even at 3rd fresh ICSI, DH has to do it...

@babyluck, at least must take folic acid as @the_spinsterella mentioned too. Take more protein rich food -egg white, fish, chicken. Take lotsa veggie and drink 2L water.

All the best to all of you! Jia You! :)

Hi ladies, Did a a Beta HCG on Monday and today, it is BFP of 160 & 320 respectively despite of my earlier posts regarding having bleeding & abdominal cramps. I couldn't believe my ears and was vey much not convinced of the results until I went down to the clinic to see the results. Need to be on proluton & pregnyl injections twice per week each on top of the crinone insertion, duphaston,folic acid & Multivitamins consumption.

Spreading my baby dust to all ladies !

Hi et2180. Congratulations!! Grabbing your baby dust :)
Take care and I wish you all goes super well and have a smooth sailing prig journey. Hugs

Sigh.. I think there are many ignorant ppl out there. Don't be hurt by their remarks. I'm lucky to have very supportive friends and family. And you know what? They think IVF babies are actually smarter Coz they are specially picked from the best egg and sperm! And I do feel my first born (conceived thru IVF too) is quite intelligent and I am so proud of him :)

at this stage, i'm really just hoping to be able to get BFP and then hoping for a healthy bb...
Thanks so much @hopes for your encouraging words
Hugsss

Koirc, i so feel you too..hugs
Thank you so much for the encouragement :)

Wow, did we all just got trolled?!

I did think that we got trolled too! It seemed so cavalier, the way she went about saying those things. No offence, but if having an 'IVF kid' who is harder to handle is a deal-breaker for her, perhaps she should not even embark on this journey.

The injections, the bloatedness, the pain, the hassle, the stress from the treatment were all difficult to endure, and I could endure all these only because the pain of longing for my child is much more than that caused by the jabs. Most of us here just want a healthy child, come what may. Without undermining the pain of her miscarriages, I do not think that dolly_81 appreciated how painful it is for us to not even conceive. Anyone whose been through the same pain would be slow to resort to such insensitive comments.

Sorry, but I am taking her comments quite hard.

I have the same thots as u gals. Ivf babies are so precious. But when we first told my mil abt my bfp, she asked Isit natural? My whole mind went blank. My hub just said yes. Din want to elaborate more. Totally dun understand the relevance of her qn. My mum on the other hand was sooo thrilled that we finally succeeded. Who cares whether it's ivf or not right! Ivf babies will never be inferior in any way!!!

Anyway I wanted to share my ivf journey with u gals as well. I only succeeded at my 5th try. Did 3 fresh n only made it at my 2nd frozen. For my failed cycles I tried almost everything. Endo scratching, intralipid infusion, dr zou tcm med & acu, tcm tsb, blastocyst. Ate pineapple core, Brazil nuts, egg white, red bean soup, chicken essence, etc.

For my bfp cycle I continued with tsb, had red date longan tea everyday, rested my legs in half a pail of warm water. Also i went bk to work the day after ET. I had bad cramps at ard 9dp2dt and thot all hopes are gone cos I had it for all my bfn cycles. I even went to the gym. Only when I missed my period then I tested with an expired stick which showed a positive! Next day immediately bot a new one with the same result. Really couldn't believe my eyes.

So ladies pls continue to try and don't give up!! We must continue to be hopeful and I believe all of us will succeed. Just a matter of time but continue trying!! I hope my story has inspired and encouraged u :)

I have the same thots as u gals. Ivf babies are so precious. But when we first told my mil abt my bfp, she asked Isit natural? My whole mind went blank. My hub just said yes. Din want to elaborate more. Totally dun understand the relevance of her qn. My mum on the other hand was sooo thrilled that we finally succeeded. Who cares whether it's ivf or not right! Ivf babies will never be inferior in any way!!!

Anyway I wanted to share my ivf journey with u gals as well. I only succeeded at my 5th try. Did 3 fresh n only made it at my 2nd frozen. For my failed cycles I tried almost everything. Endo scratching, intralipid infusion, dr zou tcm med & acu, tcm tsb, blastocyst. Ate pineapple core, Brazil nuts, egg white, red bean soup, chicken essence, etc.

For my bfp cycle I continued with tsb, had red date longan tea everyday, rested my legs in half a pail of warm water. Also i went bk to work the day after ET. I had bad cramps at ard 9dp2dt and thot all hopes are gone cos I had it for all my bfn cycles. I even went to the gym. Only when I missed my period then I tested with an expired stick which showed a positive! Next day immediately bot a new one with the same result. Really couldn't believe my eyes.

So ladies pls continue to try and don't give up!! We must continue to be hopeful and I believe all of us will succeed. Just a matter of time but continue trying!! I hope my story has inspired and encouraged u :)

Luvhbb, thank you so much. This is so inspiring. Jia you and persevere!

I did think that we got trolled too! It seemed so cavalier, the way she went about saying those things. No offence, but if having an 'IVF kid' who is harder to handle is a deal-breaker for her, perhaps she should not even embark on this journey.

The injections, the bloatedness, the pain, the hassle, the stress from the treatment were all difficult to endure, and I could endure all these only because the pain of longing for my child is much more than that caused by the jabs. Most of us here just want a healthy child, come what may. Without undermining the pain of her miscarriages, I do not think that dolly_81 appreciated how painful it is for us to not even conceive. Anyone whose been through the same pain would be slow to resort to such insensitive comments.

Sorry, but I am taking her comments quite hard.

@littlemonkies, hi! Don't understand what's going on with this dolly_81. Got me a bit too.
How are you getting along and has your ET been confirmed?

hi dawnbb thanks for sharing! i believe all of us feel the same way, at least for me too!
im still trying for my 1st and will be doing jabbing in Nov.
also have same issues, and confirm only option will be icsi already.
in fact, i didnt share with my parents that i will be going thru this.. and i have ignorant friends telling me ways, postures etc to strike gold and it made me more frustrated instead.
hopefully we will all have one to hug in our arms one day! the sacrifice we are going thru, only the ladies here will understand.
let's jiayou together!!!

hi Kissryl. It's really warm to know ppl like you giving positive encouragement. Thank u!
Yes, jia you! All the best to you on this journey. Be kind to yourself :)

That post just reminded me of an incident.
About 2 yrs ago when my 1stborn was 6 mths old, a lady (my brother-in-law's mother-in-law) casually remarked "Come i see the ivf baby. Got difference or not?" right in front of my face. Luckily my son was asleep then so i decided not to be rude and ignored her. My hubby who heard her answered, "samelah like any baby. 2 eyes 1 nose 1 mouth 2 ears"

I swore i was fuming up over tat comment. I mean how different can a baby look like right? Even if he is special in any way, he is mine.

And yes thank God, my child is just like any other boys. Active, cheeky some days, obedient some days, naughty some days. I believe all this are part of growing up no matter what gender, methods of conceiving or birth etc..

@littlemonkies, hi! Don't understand what's going on with this dolly_81. Got me a bit too.
actually it was a miscommunication. Dolly_81 wanted to know more abt ivf as she wasn't successful trying naturally. but she probably relayed the questions from many man on the street who are ignorant of ivf. I too hear myths from friends who assumed ivf kids are 'different'. but in reality I've never found ivf kids any different.

Hi to all sisters from KKH,
Anyone has go through Dr. Tan Tse Yuen, Dr. Sadhana or A/Prof Tan Heng Hao? What is your experience with them?

And what is the different in price for the IVF between a subsided and a private patient in KKH?

hi wynn0404, i went thru subsidised route, seen dr tan tse yuen twice, n other gynae on duty on appt date. price wise much cheaper like $30 plus minus per consultation, meds also much cheaper. but subsidised patient usually see diff doc.
for ivf once referred in will be considered private patient. i was referred by dr tan tse yuen but chose to switch to dr hh tan cause of his reviews here. medisave usage and govt grant will all be same..

That post just reminded me of an incident.
About 2 yrs ago when my 1stborn was 6 mths old, a lady (my brother-in-law's mother-in-law) casually remarked "Come i see the ivf baby. Got difference or not?" right in front of my face. Luckily my son was asleep then so i decided not to be rude and ignored her. My hubby who heard her answered, "samelah like any baby. 2 eyes 1 nose 1 mouth 2 ears"

I swore i was fuming up over tat comment. I mean how different can a baby look like right? Even if he is special in any way, he is mine.

And yes thank God, my child is just like any other boys. Active, cheeky some days, obedient some days, naughty some days. I believe all this are part of growing up no matter what gender, methods of conceiving or birth etc..
Shoot her!!! Shoot her!!!! ARGHGHGHG!!!!! :mad:

Yes dearie... 24 eggs were extracted today. Now waiting for hubby's soldiers to do the job. Fight soldiers, fight!!!

It was quite sobering to hear Dr. Sadhana say that even though I have 24, the rates of fertilisation means I may only get about 10 - 11 embbies, and out of which, only 3 to 4 blastocysts. She will only proceed with blastocysts and I will only have 1 implanted inside me. Think about it... 24 eggs = 2 years natural fertility lifespan! But you know what.. if I get a baby by the end of all this pain, it's all worth it!

You are very brave, my dear :) Your kids are really lucky to have you as mummy!

I am utterly biased but I think we, having battled so much for our kiddos, will make awesome mummies!

Shoot her!!! Shoot her!!!! ARGHGHGHG!!!!! :mad:
Hi ladies, when i first read dolly_81 comments and posts, i felt angry at one point of time.

To be honest, ivf route is not easy. Having to conquer all fears within us, be it from stimming period, to oocyte retrieval to embyro transfer..each stage takes alot of courage from each and every one of us.

Its a hurdle after another. Even after embyro transfer, we still need to worry that the beanie will stick and implant successfully. Even so, aft one gets their BFP, one still have to go worry abt maintaining the pregnancy and hope our baby is growing well n healthy in our womb...

dolly_81 comments r indeed insensitive to us who are going through the process but well..she alr apologised..

Why not get it over once and for all? Remember staying positive is one big contributing factor to our success! Let the negative energy be gone, ok?

Just saying out my thoughts...all the best to all the ladies trying to conceive! We will haf our bfp and our bb in time to come! Haf faith, stay positive! =)

Yes dearie... 24 eggs were extracted today. Now waiting for hubby's soldiers to do the job. Fight soldiers, fight!!!

It was quite sobering to hear Dr. Sadhana say that even though I have 24, the rates of fertilisation means I may only get about 10 - 11 embbies, and out of which, only 3 to 4 blastocysts. She will only proceed with blastocysts and I will only have 1 implanted inside me. Think about it... 24 eggs = 2 years natural fertility lifespan! But you know what.. if I get a baby by the end of all this pain, it's all worth it!

Jia you! now focus on recovering your body. Since you are doing blastie transfer, you have more days to rest and recover.
Will be praying for you and your embies. Love lots :)

Hi paranoid
He is afraid of needle, do you have any link on the process? 3 failed IUI, think next will be ivf.
Hi @babymilo, im sorry i dont have any link on ivf ..

To my understanding thr r two type..one short protocol and long protocol..differences between the 2, i hope the ladies here will b able to advise u =)

Because im also not too sure if im under short or long protocol..im sorry abt it gal..

But u afraid to jab urself?

Hi ladies, when i first read dolly_81 comments and posts, i felt angry at one point of time.

To be honest, ivf route is not easy. Having to conquer all fears within us, be it from stimming period, to oocyte retrieval to embyro transfer..each stage takes alot of courage from each and every one of us.

Its a hurdle after another. Even after embyro transfer, we still need to worry that the beanie will stick and implant successfully. Even so, aft one gets their BFP, one still have to go worry abt maintaining the pregnancy and hope our baby is growing well n healthy in our womb...

dolly_81 comments r indeed insensitive to us who are going through the process but well..she alr apologised..

Why not get it over once and for all? Remember staying positive is one big contributing factor to our success! Let the negative energy be gone, ok?

Just saying out my thoughts...all the best to all the ladies trying to conceive! We will haf our bfp and our bb in time to come! Haf faith, stay positive! =)

Ok Roger that.

Ok Dolly_81, we ladies on this board hereby declare that bygones will be bygone. You've said your piece and we've said ours. Peace to all and let's focus on baby growing!

Jia you! now focus on recovering your body. Since you are doing blastie transfer, you have more days to rest and recover.
Will be praying for you and your embies. Love lots :)
Thank you dearie. All the best to you 2ww also! I'm getting so bored just staying at home waiting for the punctured wounds to heal. It's kind of painful but not as bad as what some sisters experienced - for which I thank God!

Hi paranoid
He is afraid of needle, do you have any link on the process? 3 failed IUI, think next will be ivf.
baby milo, I found the 'Infertility Channel' on YouTube very useful as a means of getting information on IVF. It's hosted by an infertility doctor called Dr. Randell Loy. You can go take a look if it suits you. However, do take note that each hospital has its own SOP and the protocols may also be adjusted according to the make-up of that specific patient. Ultimately, your doc probably the best person to give you the details. If you, like me, are undergoing IVF in KK, you can take a look at http://lavenderbaby2013.blogspot.sg. This lady is very detailed in her experience and I drew a lot of guidance from her :)

As for the injections.. I fear needles like crazy so I can't give you much guidance. My nurse friend was very nice, she helped me with the Orgalutrans. As for the Puregons, they are not that bad, though they may cause a bit of bruising if you are skinny. I have a very 'prosperous' belly so it didn't hurt that much :D

Jiayou with your IVF!

For the jabbing part. I prefer to do it myself. Better control. Scared DH too rough n is not jabbing on them. They wouldn't feel the pain. At one stage I jab until bruises. Show to him. Make it feel my pain. Hahaha

Ladies any natural ways to cure my flu n sore throat before I embark my IVF on 30sept. Seen Doc already completed the whole course of med. but don't seem to be getting better

Ladies any natural ways to cure my flu n sore throat before I embark my IVF on 30sept. Seen Doc already completed the whole course of med. but don't seem to be getting better

try loading up on vitamin c (2 capsules of berocca effervescent capsules at one shot a day works wonders for me) and manuka honey with at least umf 16 (brilliant for sore throat). Get well soon and all the best for your ivf!

Hi, can anyone share with me the link on ivf procedure pls? How do anyone overcome self jabs? Thanks.

Hi Baby Milo, self jab is scarier in the mind than the actual process itself. It's not painful, just a fleeting moment of discomfort. :) I don't have much fats at the tummy area, so I also imagined the worse.

Actually just pinch up a area below the belly button area, place the needle at 90 deg touching, take a deep breath and just push it in. There were times when i pushed and nothing happened (Maybe i poke a muscle?). Just change a new spot.

Don't worry!! You can do it!! I have been through two cycles. Survived without bruises. :)

For the jabbing part. I prefer to do it myself. Better control. Scared DH too rough n is not jabbing on them. They wouldn't feel the pain. At one stage I jab until bruises. Show to him. Make it feel my pain. Hahaha
Hi @piglet02, haf u started yr stimms yet? Were u given antibiotics?

For ur flu n sore throat..take lots of warm water n drink n do ensure u hsf enuff rest ok!

Dear all, thanks for sharing your experience and advise. Yes I am scare of jabbing myself, I trying to overcome it and I have to admit is easy to say than do. But still if I want to take this forward, I have to do it. And i am working and doing in office toilet with limited time is not easy but have to have faith.
My gynae told me whether IUI or ivf, these are just method to help woman get preg. This make me overcome the thought of perusing ivf in near future. These are just methods to help woman and other than that, everything is the same.
Now then I know the Long and short cycle.
This is a journey we embrace through together on board. Jia you to all <3

Dear all, thanks for sharing your experience and advise. Yes I am scare of jabbing myself, I trying to overcome it and I have to admit is easy to say than do. But still if I want to take this forward, I have to do it. And i am working and doing in office toilet with limited time is not easy but have to have faith.
My gynae told me whether IUI or ivf, these are just method to help woman get preg. This make me overcome the thought of perusing ivf in near future. These are just methods to help woman and other than that, everything is the same.
Now then I know the Long and short cycle.
This is a journey we embrace through together on board. Jia you to all <3

Actually, with the benefit of hindsight, I wished I had taken leave once the treatments started. This was what I wrote to myself in my own diary 'If you are going to bomb $15k on the treatment, abuse your body with all those chemicals and the needles, sacrifice years of your natural fertility lifespan, you might as well give it your best shot. That entails, I think, resting and readying the vessel which may be carrying your child for the next 9 months.'

In my case, I don't have much leave but i eventually decided to take leave from Day 10 onwards... because otherwise super disruptive for my colleagues. I realised that I was a lot less stressed and could rest more. The Puregon made me quite tired and jumpy when I was still working. Then I stressed over getting stressed.

So, sister, if you can afford to do so, take leave in the week your treatment starts ok. In any event, whenever you go back to clinic (which will be quite often once your treatment starts), you can convert your leave to medical leave because they do give MC for the scans.

Actually, with the benefit of hindsight, I wished I had taken leave once the treatments started. This was what I wrote to myself in my own diary 'If you are going to bomb $15k on the treatment, abuse your body with all those chemicals and the needles, sacrifice years of your natural fertility lifespan, you might as well give it your best shot. That entails, I think, resting and readying the vessel which may be carrying your child for the next 9 months.'

In my case, I don't have much leave but i eventually decided to take leave from Day 10 onwards... because otherwise super disruptive for my colleagues. I realised that I was a lot less stressed and could rest more. The Puregon made me quite tired and jumpy when I was still working. Then I stressed over getting stressed.

So, sister, if you can afford to do so, take leave in the week your treatment starts ok. In any event, whenever you go back to clinic (which will be quite often once your treatment starts), you can convert your leave to medical leave because they do give MC for the scans.

I strongly agree. When I underwent the first IVF 4 years back, I still went back to work, in a middle-sized law firm. It was so stressful and on the day that the managing director scolded me in front of another colleague and threw the stack of files to the floor, my AF arrived that night, after clinic closing hours. My hubby quickly called KK 24 hours O &G, and they told him to bring me down straightaway. Seeing the amount of blood that I had lost, the doctor said likely that I had miscarriage already. So it is best not to work during the 2ww of IVF.

Back