IVF/ICSI Support Group

I was just about to share my little piece of news.... that my results came back positive with 3 digit hcg. :)

Baby dust to all !! :)

I am with Dr Yu at SGH. Dr Hema did my retrieval as Dr Yu was on leave. after she returned, she did my ET.
Congrats! I'm with Dr Yu too! Collecting baby dusts!

I was just about to share my little piece of news.... that my results came back positive with 3 digit hcg. :)

I am with Dr Yu at SGH. Dr Hema did my retrieval as Dr Yu was on leave. after she returned, she did my ET.
It's a fresh cycle? Mind to share your protocol? I'm currently in my stimms stage for my #2 fresh cycle.

Congrats. How do you prepare yrself prior to simulation?

thanks connie... :) yes this is my first pregnancy. i did the following:

1) I avoided cold drinks for the whole year;
2) Avoided "cooling food" for half year;
3) Consumed royal jelly, CoQ10, Vitamin C supplements for half year;
4) Cut out caffeine drinks from 2 previously to maximum 1 serving a day;
5) Kept feet warm by wearing slippers at home; socks to bed for past 2-3 months;
6) Kept warm by placing a thick towel on belly almost 24/7 since ET;
7) TCM acupuncture since August 14 (not sure if it helped.. i felt like i was going thru motion)
8) TCM medication from Aug 13 to Apr 14 (not sure if it helped but i couldnt keep up with it)
9) Consuming longan red date tea daily since start of stimulation;

I also felt that sgh process worked better for me due to growth hormone and embryogen given to me.

3rd fresh liao ..this is also not easy ivf journey for u. u take good care and rest lots lots !

Thank you babe... yes it has been tough. i am praying for the best for myself too. trying not to think of work and stress in the coming year. Will also pray for every success to every one here on or starting cycle.

u think your endo scratch helped too?

oh yes i also did endo scratch 1 month prior to cycle. i almost forgot abt this on the list above and had probably mentioned in an earlier posting. well. i just went with everything i could manage... anything is worthwhile.

These factors are giving you unnecessary stress. Dealing with office gossips and going through a physically & mentally stressful cycle is double whammy. I've never realised how adverse effects of stress can be until my current cycle where I just wanted to take it easy. I remember during my earlier ivf, i was dealing with work issues from home and broke down so bad coz it was too much to handle. I wasnt surprised those cycles didnt work out. While I had many retrieved, few fertilised, my only remaining and transferred embryos were of average quality and didnt make it. obviously other changes i made prior to my stims this time round as commonly practised by other sisters here probably helped along the way. littlejo, as much as you are in a hurry, I feel that it may not be a bad idea to take a break, build yourself up & plan your next cycle carefully. body and mind have to be in an optimal condition for best results. as for leave matters, you may wish to save your annual leave for the next cycle and just tell your colleagues that u were going on holiday.
Hi JennaW,

Thanks so much for your advice. You have been very patient all these while. All these procedures really has been creating lots of challenges in our lives but ain't going to give up. So easily give up how to become mama. ;). Hee.

Grabbing ur bb dust too!! :p

BTW, why wear socks to sleep? Also, what exactly endo stratch does?

One of the TCM physicians I consulted commented my basal temp was low, not conducive for ttc and told me to avoid cooling food. And literally cold food as well. So I changed my diet and tried to keep warm in the physical sense too. A different TCM physician told me feet and womb are "connected" so important to keep feet warm. In acupuncture, 2 physicians I consulted also poked more on my legs and belly and used heating lamps to "warm" up these areas. I went with the notion and started wearing socks to bed, keeping my feet off the cold flooring at home. It's also a common practice for ttc ladies. :)

Endo scratch is like a Pap smear where doctor took a gentle swipe off the womb. The "aggravation" leading to healing process is said to help with implantation. Was a bit uncomfortable but over before I knew it. If u google, there's more professional explanation and sorry for my layman knowledge but that's in a nutshell what it is supposed to do. I just went with whatever I could to boost my chances!

Last edited:
Hi Ladies ,

I was with Dr Loh 5 years ago in KK currently with 2 healthy IVF boys age 2 and 5 , lots of baby dust to all ladies here , hang in there and dun stress too much .

Need some urgent advise here for my friend planning to go for IVF .

Wanted to recommence Dr Loh to her but now Dr Loh in private Hospital so my friend can't enjoy the ART co-funding scheme .

May i know now mostly you ladies seeing which doctor for the below Hospital ? Highly recommended Doctor in the following Gov Hospital.

- SGH
- NUH
- KK

Thanks so much .

thanks connie... :) yes this is my first pregnancy. i did the following:

1) I avoided cold drinks for the whole year;
2) Avoided "cooling food" for half year;
3) Consumed royal jelly, CoQ10, Vitamin C supplements for half year;
4) Cut out caffeine drinks from 2 previously to maximum 1 serving a day;
5) Kept feet warm by wearing slippers at home; socks to bed for past 2-3 months;
6) Kept warm by placing a thick towel on belly almost 24/7 since ET;
7) TCM acupuncture since August 14 (not sure if it helped.. i felt like i was going thru motion)
8) TCM medication from Aug 13 to Apr 14 (not sure if it helped but i couldnt keep up with it)
9) Consuming longan red date tea daily since start of stimulation;

I also felt that sgh process worked better for me due to growth hormone and embryogen given to me.
Hi jennaw may I pls know what is the use of embryogen?

Hi jennaw may I pls know what is the use of embryogen?

It's a growth hormone for cultivating embryos and also to help with implantation. It's used in the lab. If I recall, Dr told me it's for patients with previous miscarriage or repeated failure with implantation.

Thank you babe... yes it has been tough. i am praying for the best for myself too. trying not to think of work and stress in the coming year. Will also pray for every success to every one here on or starting cycle.

Congrats Babe!!

If u don't mind me asking, how long did u rest between second n third ivf?

1.5 years between second and third ivf. I was mostly ttc naturally since June 2013 though earlier on this year, i also failed 1 round of IUI.

JennaW, congratulations and thank you for sharing your experience with us.

For sisters who are interested, you can get belly warmers from daiso, those used for travelling. Actually not very thick, just like cardigan material wrapped around tummy.

One of the TCM physicians I consulted commented my basal temp was low, not conducive for ttc and told me to avoid cooling food. And literally cold food as well. So I changed my diet and tried to keep warm in the physical sense too. A different TCM physician told me feet and womb are "connected" so important to keep feet warm. In acupuncture, 2 physicians I consulted also poked more on my legs and belly and used heating lamps to "warm" up these areas. I went with the notion and started wearing socks to bed, keeping my feet off the cold flooring at home. It's also a common practice for ttc ladies. :)

Endo scratch is like a Pap smear where doctor took a gentle swipe off the womb. The "aggravation" leading to healing process is said to help with implantation. Was a bit uncomfortable but over before I knew it. If u google, there's more professional explanation and sorry for my layman knowledge but that's in a nutshell what it is supposed to do. I just went with whatever I could to boost my chances!
Hi JennaW,

I jus wondered for the endo stratch, it's something we can request to do for ourselves if we want to rite? Cos dunno why Dr Loh didn't ask me to do since my embryo quality has issues. For me, I dun have any endometrium issues. He always said my lining good.

hi jenna! really happy for u. your perseverance inspires me. i've had two unsuccessful fresh attempts.

hi everyone else! gonna start FET in jan. any cycle buddies?

Hi JennaW,

I jus wondered for the endo stratch, it's something we can request to do for ourselves if we want to rite? Cos dunno why Dr Loh didn't ask me to do since my embryo quality has issues. For me, I dun have any endometrium issues. He always said my lining good.

hi littlejo, i think endo scratch is not a standard procedure practised by all clinics. At kkh, i wasn't given this option and back then, i had no knowledge of this procedure at all. it was much later during my cycle break that while reading up on ivf did i find out about endo scratch and consulted sgh doctor during my earlier visits. not sure if it is offered to every patient or specific patients at sgh, or if tmc, nuh, etc also offer the same. if i may put it this way, endo scratch is a bit like acupuncture, may probably be a supplementary process to an ivf process but not advocated by every doctor. personally, i was just willing to try out anything and everything i can tolerate in hopes of boosting my chances. this is an introduction to endo scratch: http://www.dailymail.co.uk/health/a...ning-womb-double-chances-having-IVF-baby.html and there are many more articles online if you are interested to find out more.

for egg quality issue, there are just too many aspects or possibilities on failure, like cells didnt divide properly, didnt fertilise successfully, even gd grade embryos may fail to implant or stop developing for unexplained reasons. I dont even know how inadequate my eggs were in the previous cycles or why they couldnt implant. my 2 different doctors at kkh couldnt tell me and guess nobody can diagnose it for sure. i didn't have spare eggs from my cycles to test out, even if it was even an option. Hence, i was given different drugs under my earlier 2 cycles to produce more and more in hopes of producing gd quality eggs for fertilization. but none worked out. it felt like probability games. doctor even commented that it is 'mother nature'. thats also partly reason why i decided to change clinic to obtain another opinion, maybe a different protocol, more tests, etc. and thankfully this time round it worked out. we need a lot of persistence and perseverance in this journey.

Last edited:
JennaW, congratulations and thank you for sharing your experience with us.

For sisters who are interested, you can get belly warmers from daiso, those used for travelling. Actually not very thick, just like cardigan material wrapped around tummy.

thanks peanuts. i havent yet seen such belly warmers but it sounds like a splendid alternative to my thick sarong towel. :p

Congrats JennaW..Grabbing your baby dust...

Congrats Jenna!
I am new to this thread as I am only starting to do my first fresh with SGH too in Jan/Feb.
It seems that most patients who are with SGH see Dr Yu. I am not seeing her..sigh..will my success rate be lower?

Congrats Jenna!
I am new to this thread as I am only starting to do my first fresh with SGH too in Jan/Feb.
It seems that most patients who are with SGH see Dr Yu. I am not seeing her..sigh..will my success rate be lower?

I only know of 2-3 ivf doctors at sgh. I understand that the protocol for each patient is discussed & decided at team level from onset so I guess Dr Yu will still be involved somewhat. Progressive results will be monitored by the doctors as well. Anyway, apart from initial consults, the bulk of the processes such as scanning and instructions on injections are managed by a team of staff. FYI, my retrieval was done by another doctor who stood in for Dr Yu as she was on leave.

Just did my 2nd scan..so disappointed with the results..had 9 follicles on my 1st scan but after 5days of Lucrin & Puregon only 2 follicles are growing..more jabs to come :(

anyone uses crinone? after abt one week of stopping using it, I found large almost dry white clumps mix with black specks (like 2 tbspn) when I wipe below today. so weird. its not itchy or uncomfortable.

Just did my 2nd scan..so disappointed with the results..had 9 follicles on my 1st scan but after 5days of Lucrin & Puregon only 2 follicles are growing..more jabs to come :(
Jmec,

Which Dr are u seeing? I had only 11 follicles during my last ivf. Still, is the quality counts, not really the quantity. Jia you! ;)

Jmec,

Which Dr are u seeing? I had only 11 follicles during my last ivf. Still, is the quality counts, not really the quantity. Jia you! ;)
I'm seeing Dr Yu, SGH. Praying hard the rest of my follies will continue to grow..going back for another scan on Fri which is day 8 of stimm..how many eggs u retrieved from the 11 follicles?

Last edited:
anyone uses crinone? after abt one week of stopping using it, I found large almost dry white clumps mix with black specks (like 2 tbspn) when I wipe below today. so weird. its not itchy or uncomfortable.
It's the crinone residue. Normal. And often with odd colour specks.

I'm seeing Dr Yu, SGH. Praying hard the rest of my follies will continue to grow..going back for another scan on Fri which is day 8 of stimm..how many eggs u retrieved from the 11 follicles?

Jmec,

I had 11 follicles. 7 retrieved. 6 matured and 5 fertilized. 4 can used be for ET.

Jmec,
Did sgh scan e follicle before start the injection?how many follicles u have at day 2 or day 3 before injections?

dun lose hope. Still got a few days for follicles to grow. If i not wrong,each day follicle can grow as much as 2mm

Jmec,

I had 11 follicles. 7 retrieved. 6 matured and 5 fertilized. 4 can used be for ET.
Thanks littlejo, I hope I have enough for ET too.

Jmec,
Did sgh scan e follicle before start the injection?how many follicles u have at day 2 or day 3 before injections?

dun lose hope. Still got a few days for follicles to grow. If i not wrong,each day follicle can grow as much as 2mm
Yes, they did. I had 9 small follicles on day 2 of AF before injections. I was hoping that after the jabs I will have more than 9, but after 5 days of jabs only 2 grew with a few other small ones..kind of disappointing..hopefully by Fri more follicles will grow. Let it grow Let it grow! haha..

Yes, they did. I had 9 small follicles on day 2 of AF before injections. I was hoping that after the jabs I will have more than 9, but after 5 days of jabs only 2 grew with a few other small ones..kind of disappointing..hopefully by Fri more follicles will grow. Let it grow Let it grow! haha..
9 for day 2 sounds ok. Today is day 8 for u ya? Still got time, try not to stress. Stress free is imp. Jiayou!

Jmec,
Did u go acupuncture? I rem when I did my 2 rounds I'd iui, i only had 2 or 3 follicles. Then I went for 3 months acupuncture to prepare my ivf. It shot up to 11 follicles. My hubby and me also think it should be the acupuncture helped me to increase the nos. Also, I used to have sinus every time I showered for many yrs but now I rarely sneeze aft shower.

Connie, I started my cycle already. Last week started lucrin jab. Hopefully this time round will make it through to ET. But my boss going on 2 weeks leave which I suspect will coincide with ER and ET date and so it means I will need to go back to work. Hope everything goes well!!

Was actually quite dishearten few weeks back with hubby sis. Hubby told his sis we are doing ivf and the family being very staunch Catholics started telling us that we Shld try naturally and gave me a book published for church that ivf is "illicit"!! I was so mad.. If we can conceive naturally would have conceive 6 years ago loh.. Told my hubby to stop keeping them updated about our ivf journey. But I have calm down now but seeing them in different light now. Just don't understand y people want to impose their idea and religion on what we do. It's so easy for them to say try naturally when they can pop just like that. Arrghh

Ok shall stop ranting. The new year bring new hope!! :):)
Hopeful13,yr cycle starting soon hor. Wish u all e best for this cycle! :)

Back