IVF/ICSI Support Group

How often do we have to go for scan or blood test once start ivf? Is the waiting time long? Thinking if I should tell my boss. If I can take half days then maybe not so bad.
I have already taken close to 2 mths HL due to 2 lap done this yr. Worried will affect my job / appraisal if I take more HL after ET.

Hi Hlixian,

At kkh, the timing depends on the queue at various points. Based on my experience-

1st scan on day 2/3 of af- scan, wait for prescription, go pharmacy to get meds, go back to nurse to wait nurse to train injections - Ard 3 hours.

2nd scan- 10th day of injections, scan, see Dr, wait for prescription, go pharmacy. Ard 3 hours.

3rd scan- 11th day of injection , scan, see Dr, wait for prescription, go pharmacy.

4th visit- blood test in the morning, 20 mins.

5th visit- evening in the same day of blood test for trigger shot. 20 mins.

6th visit- ER 5 hours cos I was unwell and needed longer observation.

7th visit- ET- 2 hours.

All visits completed in morning, except for ER.

Hth :)

Hehe. My hubby is too paranoid: )

How is everyone Who is at 2ww now? I'm already feeling really bored at home with zero symptoms at all.

I'm in my tww too. Actually rather enjoy it...

I try not to read too much into symptoms, cos I tend to over interpret in the past when trying naturally and all false alarms... but I still can't help it but wish that all those twitches are symptoms. :D

I find my challenge is to keep the hope but not to pin hopes too high.

Hi Hlixian,

At kkh, the timing depends on the queue at various points. Based on my experience-

1st scan on day 2/3 of af- scan, wait for prescription, go pharmacy to get meds, go back to nurse to wait nurse to train injections - Ard 3 hours.

2nd scan- 10th day of injections, scan, see Dr, wait for prescription, go pharmacy. Ard 3 hours.

3rd scan- 11th day of injection , scan, see Dr, wait for prescription, go pharmacy.

7th visit- ET- 2 hours.

Mondays and Fridays are the busiest days

I'm in my tww too. Actually rather enjoy it...

I try not to read too much into symptoms, cos I tend to over interpret in the past when trying naturally and all false alarms... but I still can't help it but wish that all those twitches are symptoms. :D

I find my challenge is to keep the hope but not to pin hopes too high.

I have the exact same feelings as u!! I also feel I must be positive But try not to pin too high hopes.

I'm now watching a lot of Taiwanese variety shows n laughing myself silly everyday.one way to keep my mood up: )

Hi ellesie, yrs sound v positive! Esp when u do not hv any symptom is good sign!!! By the way, why fet is better than fresh trsfr?
Bbfanatic, I think it depends on the gynae. For my gynae, fet works better maybe because of less stress as no jab and hormone level more stable and manageable. But its just gynae's preference. Some believes fresh will have higher chance.

Btw if there are any symptoms, roughly when will they kick in?
Ttc77, for my #1, which conceived naturally, I have the symptoms as early as 2 weeks. All the pre af symptoms persistent until I found out I was preg at 5 weeks. Only then the bloatedness and strong sense of smell kicked in. I was lucky as I dun have ms last time (finger crossed) but I bleed easily. For the first trimester, almost every week visit to gynae due to bleeding

Ttc77, for my #1, which conceived naturally, I have the symptoms as early as 2 weeks. All the pre af symptoms persistent until I found out I was preg at 5 weeks. Only then the bloatedness and strong sense of smell kicked in. I was lucky as I dun have ms last time (finger crossed) but I bleed easily. For the first trimester, almost every week visit to gynae due to bleeding

Sorry What's Ms?

Hi Hlixian,

7th visit- ET- 2 hours.

Hi happy peanuts,
Thanks for sharing,this is helpful to some of us :)

Last edited:
Hi HappyPeanuts, thank you for sharing the detailed schedule for IVF to us.....

Hi hlixian, I am also in dilemma whether to tell my boss & my teammate in advance. I have only told 1 colleague so far & I told her to keep a secret for me. She suggested that I keep my boss informed by 2nd or 3rd scan.... cos my boss is 1 who doesnt like pple to take long leave. I preempt my teammate le cos most probably she is covering me. I dont have friend in office & can only find comfort here. I am cycling in Nov at KKH which I think a lot of ladies will be cycling next month also.

Hi Hlixian,

7th visit- ET- 2 hours.

Thanks @HappyPeanuts!

Hi Hlixian,

7th visit- ET- 2 hours.

Thanks @HappyPeanuts!

Hi HappyPeanuts, thank you for sharing the detailed schedule for IVF to us.....

Hi hlixian, I am also in dilemma whether to tell my boss & my teammate in advance. I have only told 1 colleague so far & I told her to keep a secret for me. She suggested that I keep my boss informed by 2nd or 3rd scan.... cos my boss is 1 who doesnt like pple to take long leave. I preempt my teammate le cos most probably she is covering me. I dont have friend in office & can only find comfort here. I am cycling in Nov at KKH which I think a lot of ladies will be cycling next month also.

We are cycle buddies! After some consideration, I decided to tell my boss. If the company were to penalise me, so be it. My priority now is to conceive.

Hi Hlixian,

7th visit- ET- 2 hours.

Althought 90% procedure done in morning, but do take note of the waiting time. my first scan visit completed till 3pm. the rest of the scans also take hours. (unless your office is in town area, else quite heart attacking. From ER onward, you will be giving HL..app 3wks.

Hello.

I was with KKH. The worst time to arrive is 8ish-9ish. The wait will be long because those early birds are already q-ing for the door to open at 730am. So there is already a bulk of patients there. So reaching at say 830am is not ideal. You would rather go at 1030-11am (if you can’t be one of the early birds) when the q is starting to clear off. That’s my personal observation.

There are also days of the week which make the kkivf a market place (eg after a long weekend). But sometimes this is hard to avoid since your scan days are precise and not for the patient to choose.

How often do we have to go for scan or blood test once start ivf? Is the waiting time long? Thinking if I should tell my boss. If I can take half days then maybe not so bad.
I have already taken close to 2 mths HL due to 2 lap done this yr. Worried will affect my job / appraisal if I take more HL after ET.

For my previous ivf, i went for ard 4 scans before they confirmed my ER date. Also got to depends on your lining and the size of follicles.

The waiting time is horrible for me. Mostly will take half a day or longer if i still needs to see the nurses for medication. So i will take leave cos i don't want to be so stressful during the whole process. And it indeed helps to stay positive and relax.

Talk to your boss about it. This year i also took alot of HL. Once during ivf and once during my mc. And i just informed her about my fet for next jan.

We got no choice, as having a baby is not a smooth journey for us. But if we know ivf works for us, we should try our best to try it. It is not a cheap process afterall.

Stay relax! Good luck to U!

Connie I’m not sure for your case of long progynova dosage (30 days you mentioned). But for me, it was for FET and I had it for exactly 17 days. Since FET was aborted, doc told me to stop and she said my AF would appear in a week’s time. When I stopped, it was on CD22. However my AF appeared surprisingly early on CD26. My cycle is usually CD31/32.

I would think the pill would stop your AF from coming (not entirely sure). But for my case, it brought forward my AF much early, after I stopped it that is.

I agree with meiling. Just focus on the IVF. Take full day if you can (super unpredictable at KKIVF). Need to take HL then just take. I really think the rest doesn’t matter. If your boss has to know about this journey, then tell him/her. It is better you go through this with a peace of mind then to worry about rushing back office in time or what you boss may be speculating, etc. Even if it affects my appraisal, I also don’t care liao. By the way, I just had my appraisal done last week. I told my boss frankly my focus for the past half year was IVF and I really don’t care about how she is going to grade me this year. I took many leaves and HL :p

Hi-5 Hlixian!! Mentally I am feeling stressed actually. haha.... probably too fearful about the process although a lot of sistas shared their experience with us.

Hi redvel! How are you doing? Thank you for your encouragement!! You are really a brave gal which I totally agree work is secondary cos we must focus what we want in life!! I really mind telling people about me going thru this because every colleague is encouraging me to have 2nd one.... actually can be quite irritating.... Based on happypeanuts schedule, that means we have to be prepared to take at least 5 days of leave? Can we take MC for scanning instead? If this is really the case, all my leave for this year are all used up. Sianz....

Today is 9dp5dt and I had my progesterone jab this morning. I use clearblue n it shows positive. Not sure whether accurate or not. I hv totally no symptoms, only hungry. Very different when im hving my #1. My blood test in on Wednesday.

Ellesie waiting for ur babydust spread. All the best

Bubbleblue I am good thanks.

For my scans I did not take mc because my job is generally quite flexi so I just tell boss I got scan and will be in office when done. However each scan your doc can give you mc. Do ask for one if you need as not all doc remembers to give you.

I don't tell my colleagues as I don't feel they need to know my life too much. Haa.

Connie I’m not sure for your case of long progynova dosage (30 days you mentioned). But for me, it was for FET and I had it for exactly 17 days. Since FET was aborted, doc told me to stop and she said my AF would appear in a week’s time. When I stopped, it was on CD22. However my AF appeared surprisingly early on CD26. My cycle is usually CD31/32.

I would think the pill would stop your AF from coming (not entirely sure). But for my case, it brought forward my AF much early, after I stopped it that is.
Hi redvel, nice to see u in e forum!
E answer is -progynova didnt stop e menses. Cos today my menses reported as per usual though i am still on it.

Does it mean you're starting your ivf, Connie?
I seriously do not know. I have to wait to see doc for post hysterosopy review whether good to go. Also pending my hubby sa freezing to see his soldiers can make it or not. Many unknowns. Can only cross fingers able to proceed further smoothly n see rainbow at e end

I agree with meiling. Just focus on the IVF. Take full day if you can (super unpredictable at KKIVF). Need to take HL then just take. I really think the rest doesn’t matter. If your boss has to know about this journey, then tell him/her. It is better you go through this with a peace of mind then to worry about rushing back office in time or what you boss may be speculating, etc. Even if it affects my appraisal, I also don’t care liao. By the way, I just had my appraisal done last week. I told my boss frankly my focus for the past half year was IVF and I really don’t care about how she is going to grade me this year. I took many leaves and HL :p
Hi redvel, u r v brave to tell yr boss that! For me, the past 10 mths of 2014 have been focused on conceiving but only with zero success. I haven brave myself to share any of my ivf story with office pp. when I took one week off after the et to rest at hm, I came up w excuse such as female related operation. Sigh, then now left 2mths of the year, I realize I'm not meeting my kpis that my boss set for me. Feeling quite lousy becos personal goal fail, work oso fail. I can't even imagine if I tell my boss the honest truth. Right now I'm just hanging on but feeling sad that baby dream is far away n no chance of promotion at work.

Bbfanatic, I think it depends on the gynae. For my gynae, fet works better maybe because of less stress as no jab and hormone level more stable and manageable. But its just gynae's preference. Some believes fresh will have higher chance.
Thanks. How's yr pregnancy test? Was it today?

That's a lovely news ellesie. Continue so-ing your tum and Friday you will come back with even flying colors.

That's a lovely news ellesie. Continue so-ing your tum and Friday you will come back with even flying colors.
Haha. My no#1 has been talking to e tummy since day 1 and she always checked wat I can eat n wat I can't. Hope has good result this friday
. So worried to disappoint her

Hi redvel, u r v brave to tell yr boss that! For me, the past 10 mths of 2014 have been focused on conceiving but only with zero success. I haven brave myself to share any of my ivf story with office pp. when I took one week off after the et to rest at hm, I came up w excuse such as female related operation. Sigh, then now left 2mths of the year, I realize I'm not meeting my kpis that my boss set for me. Feeling quite lousy becos personal goal fail, work oso fail. I can't even imagine if I tell my boss the honest truth. Right now I'm just hanging on but feeling sad that baby dream is far away n no chance of promotion at work.

I mean I'm affected knowing I likely won't get pay increment this year. But have to tell ourselves we need to do our best for ivf as it's more tough than achieving kpi! I tried to stay as stress free as possible during ivf. Now that it's over, I will catch up on work and get things back in place.

Don't think too far. Take a step at a time and focus on what's most important now. Although I didn't succeed in my ivf, I still think it's important to stay positive that every ivf cycle can be good. No point doing something which we keep thinking it will fail. That's just what I think la.

Back