I Can Read - Anyone tried?

u mean i can read learning ctr is very good for kid to learn

then GUG The teachers tried to stretch the 2hrs by talking slowly

so u strongly recommend i can read ?

Anyone can tell me which centre is better in Creative Writing for Pri 1?
"Jan & Elly" or "I Can Read?"

I understand I Can Read teach Oral skills as well but not Jan & Elly.

Pam, my gal is also attending the same lapbooking class. Totally agree with the general knowledge part.

Previously my gal can read a few words because of peter and jane series, but after a while she lost interest. she attended I CAN READ for a term but I don't like the teachers there and she also doesn't like the class. She seems to have no motivation in learning and must also coax and force. So we stopped it.

Then I chanced upon this lapbooking programme and after attending the lapbooking class, she likes it so much that she even tells me she wants to change her kindergarten to this lapbooking class!! Haha. I like it that the programme is so well-rounded and my gal is now so self-motivated. She even willingly look at all the library books that I borrow now and even try to read herself.

Most important thing is for a child to have the self-motivation to learn. Brilliant programme!

Tammy,

How old is your child? which lapbook class does your child attend? Do you reinforce at home according to the tips? Can she read the book in her class?

My 4yo still reading Peter and Jane. He does make noise. It is ok if he does not want to read, we break for a day or two or even a week, then continue to read P&J.

My son likes to look at story books. I read him as many as possible every night.

I reinforce the words that he learns in P&J using EPH-high frequency words for 5-7 yo. He likes it. I have both chinese and english.

For lapbooking, i find it a bit difficult for me to teach at home as parents need to pick up the knowledge to teach.

My son enjoys the lapbooking class and likes the teacher too. My son is very active but he listens to her.

Rabbit, we are in a weekend class. :> Sorry don't want to be too specific yet. My gal doesn't read Peter & Jane anymore cos she hates them. I used to fret about phonics as there just doesn't seem to be progress no matter what she learnt in school, from me or enrichment.

But now after attending this lapbooking class, something seems to CLICK in her. Just last weekend, she wanted to read us the book used in her lapbooking class and she read about 80% of it by herself!! We are so impressed! She is very proud of her lapbook and will tell her daddy every week after class what she likes about the lapbook class and teacher. Never seen her liking a class so much. Kind of comical. So we also very happy!
happy.gif

I really like the teaching style of the teacher. Can tell she is very passionate about her students. I chatted with some parents while waiting sometimes and everyone has only good things to say about the programme AND teacher. No wonder her classes so popular! Actually I just enrolled my for Term 4 class and my cousin's kid is joining too. Maybe even my neighbour's child! Haha.. my gal always drags me out of house so she won't be late for class and my neighbour asked one day. Now she is also considering.. hehe

Rabbit, one more comment..

actually I must say besides having the knowledge to teach, parents must also create the right lapbooking activities in order to build the skills. Now that I have seen my gal's finished lapbooks from this programme, I must say it is DIFFERENT from those free internet resources. Do you agree?

I think the free resources just not very good, either too simple (not challenging like those annoying word search, dot-to-dot, coloring activities etc !!! I hate those) or too tough which in the end means we have to do most of it for kids and they learn nothing! From what I understand, every lapbooking activity and discussion in class trains the kids to think in a certain way to improve their cognitive abilities, besides learnign concepts.

A mum told me last weekend that her son has been attending for a while now and she noticed he is now becoming very inquisitive! Not simple questions but those that even adults didn't think of asking. I can't wait for that day!

Hi Sandra,

Chance upon this thread...ICR is great...my girl started when she is 2.5 yrs and now she is 5 yrs.

She can read almost everything...incl. newspaper...and when we watch Mandarin she reads the subtitle kekeke..

ICR is great....but you have to help too...read with your son...cos only through encouragement will they soar!

cheers!

Called up ICR @ CCK branch. They are starting the Little Bears Club and enroling for a new class.

No need assessment. Fri nights.

Looking fwd to sending my son there
happy.gif

Hi all,

Any mummies sent their kids to ICR at Sengkang Rivervale Mall? Need more feedbacks as I am tinking to send my ger there...Is my 2.5yr old ger too young for this program? Please advise..>Tks..

Hi mummies,

Can i have more details abt this Lapbooking Shirley? is she conducting a class? where is the class being held? any website?

I'm also trying to encourage my 5yo girl to read more but need to have more knowledge as in what kind of books should i get for her...

thanks!!

Dear Goddess,

Is your 5yo daughter an independant reader?

My 4.5yo son is reading P&J book 5b and Odonata chinese book 6. I try my best to encourage him to read every day.

Alternatively, you could borrow lively books from library to encourage your daughter to read.

There are many good books eg:
Dr Seuss
Eric Carle
Mercer Mayer
Charnan Simon
Nancy Shaw
Margaret Wise Brown
mem fox
Byron barton
Pat Hutchins

Hi rabbit,
My girl is not a independent reader, always want me to read w her. I try my best to encourage her to read n really thanks f ur recommendations.
Btw, what's p&j?

Dear Goddess,

Ladybird series-Peter and Jane. It comprises 36 books in total. You may required set a and set b.

Try to encourage her to read 1a, 1b, 2a,2b,3a,3c...

A page a day and revise the new words. It is very good to introduce high frequency words.

My son isn't keen to read too. Always cry and make a fuss. Sometimes we stopped for a month,a week, or read 2-3 times a week, depending on his mood.

If she isn't like the books, then get her simple story books to read. The kids still need to learn to read eventhough they are attending enrichment.

My son is with Lcentral, started lately.

Hi Rabbit,

noted, will probably get the ladybird series to start her off first.

I'm starting to explore on those books wh u recommended. now checking which library carries those books.

True lah, kids have mood so sometimes it's really not easy to get them now and read properly.

My girl is currently Julia Gabriel Readers and Writers class but I thinking of switching her to ICR cos she's not really progressing much as expected.

Goddess,

These books are available in library.

Another good author cum illustrator is Leo Lionni. Look for rainbow fish series. These are for kids who can read. Very wordy.

Library has ladybird series. You might want to check out library website.

Do check out this website for good recommendation of Caldecott Medal & Honor Books

http://www.ala.org/ala/mgrps/divs/alsc/awardsgrants/bookmedia/caldecottmedal/caldecotthonors/caldecottmedal.cfm

My i know how long she has been with Julia Gabriel? Does she attend any other enrichments?

Hi,

Really appreciate on all your book recommendations!

She's been with JG since jan this year. Also, recently signed her with Berries World.

Hi Goddess, the website for the lapbooking class is www.****************.com. The teacher is Shirley and her email address is also on the website. you can read more about the lapbooking classes on the website. Hope this helps! Better hurry if you are keen to enrol your gal as her classes fill up really fast!

Hi Rabbit, nice to "see" you here again! Wow.. looks like your son is progressing welll. You must be so happy for him.
happy.gif
Is he still with the lapbooking class? My gal is still there and enjoying herself very much. She has recently renewed her interest in Peter & Jane after stopping for a few months. I think all thanks to the lapbooking class actually. One day she came to tell me that she is going to try reading the books again because now she thinks if she tries a little harder, she can master all difficulties. Because her teacher shirley told her and she believes her. WOW! Talk about positive influence from teachers! :D Now, no need for me to coax her to read, she just pulls out the books every night after dinner and "guai guai" sit there and read to me. I hope the magic lasts long.

What do you mean by lively books? And what is odonata chinese books?

Hi Tammy,

Sorry for my late replay.

How is your daughter doing now? May i know how old is she?

We had discontinued Lapbooking class as i find it not beneficial to him after being tried for 2 terms. It is more like a fun science class. For English language, i personally feel that it would be more appropriate to send my son for language class to learn.

About the positive influence- it is very short term for my case. I am the one who need to talk and encourage him a lot instead of anyone else.

I personally feel that she is not very patience towards normal or challening kids. I heard such feedbacks from mommies too.

Hi rabbit, my gal is 5. your son is 4 right?

I guess for every class and programme, there are always some parents who will like and find them beneficial and others who think they are not suitable. In our case, my hub and I love the class and teacher a lot. We have seen more benefits on our daughter than originally expected. I do expect a lot, having researched so much prior to signing her up. My gal is now reading and writing a lot on her own and the part which i like most is she is asking a lot of questions now. She is beginning to see things quite differently too. I don't know how to explain properly actually but when we read books together, she is now beginning to understand more difficult books at a different level and it shows in the questions she asks. This is only class my gal attends now, so i think it must be what she has learnt in the class that has the effect. We like how every lapbook has such different activities. my gal did some really interesting activities in the last 2 lapbooks that combined many concepts learnt in previous lapbooks. It really showed how much she has learnt. so we are happy to continue for as long as posisble.

Contrary to what you feel and heard, I personally think she is very patient with all the kids, even the ones who are difficult. According to my friend whose 3 yr old child is now with the class, her boy was very resistant to any academic activities before the class and dislike books in general. But now after just a term, he has learnt a lot of new words and is asking to be read to daily. His attention span has also improved a lot.

She is a strict teacher though, especially towards children who have poor learning attitude. I have heard her telling them in stern voice (not scolding or shouting but sternly) that they should try and not just give up straightaway and something like 'we must always keep trying then we will succeed'.
happy.gif

Some parents may see that as not patient enough, but I think teachers should be strict and firm instead of too relaxed and indulgent, especially if the kids lack discipline. My own views only lah.

I think we parents must always be the ones who encourage the kids on regular basis, after all the enrichment teachers only see our children once a week or maybe even less if there are breaks. Maybe you feel differently?

Dear Tammy,

My son is 4yo, going to be k1 next year,

Thank you for sharing your views and glad that your daughter likes it a lot and progress so well.

My son had attended her class for half a year and i dont see much result even though i follow through what she suggested. So i guess, her method may not be appealing or too advance for him. He needs a lot of encouragements, revisions and yet he has very short attention.

My husband and i dislike the way she talks to our son. We are not the only couple who dislikes the way she talks or reply emails.

His other teachers from other enrichments are soft spoken,never talk to kids in a stern manner, very encouraging and more skillful in handling challenging kids. So far so good.

Tammy, may i know what kind of book is your daughter reading now? Aside of english, does she read chinese and pratise math at home?

For parents who are interested to do lapbooking with free resources, do check out this site.

http://www.homeschoolshare.com/levels.php

Dear Rabbit, thanks for sharing your views too. Hmm.. maybe your personal experience was not pleasant. Can't comment cos ours have been very pleasant so far. Even emails exchanges are polite and professional. She sent me emails a few times with feedback on what my gal been doing in class and suggestions to follow up and whenever I email her to check something, response been fast and good. Good that you change anyway if you don't like it. A child in my girl's class is really challenging, even his mum said he is very naughty, won't listen to anyone in CC or at home, but at this class, because the teacher uses both hard and soft methods (sometimes speak sternly when he behaves badly and sometimes sweet-talk and coax him), he usually responss better. Now, his 4th term and the mum thinks he has improved a lot in all areas, all thanks to teacher shirley. The boy's CC teachers are all softspoken and very young, so the boy throws tantrums and manipulates to get out of doing diffcult work, must be bribed with sweets to finish work etc.. all the bad habits. But now after some months with T shirley he is more self-motivated when it comes to learning, even at home. So i can only say many factors play a role in how a child responses to any method and as parents, we all have different expectatons of what is stern manner, what is good teacher and how much time we give to see effect.

my girl is reading whatever that i bring back from library now.. and i can see improving week by week. no more readers. she has finished P&J 9b in only about 2 months since we restarted it after the lapbooking class. All thanks to her improved attitude towards reading, more self-confidence (again I say credit to teacher shirley) and better attention span. by the time we reached 5a, the pages are so long, but she can read through 10 new pages in one sitting which is why we can finish so quickly. Not bad at all! Before the class, just asked her to read one page of 2b and she cried.

For chinese, i did a bit with her a long time ago, now waiting for my hubby to take over. he is better in chinese, so he is going to help her. For maths, i have not done much, except what is covered in the lapbook. Maths is very simple even for K2 level. So no need to worry.

What is odnata chinese which you said your son reads now?

Do you use the homeschoolshare a lot? I have used it before and still refer to it sometimes to see if i can find any ideas but i don't like the activities even though it is free. Either too simple or too difficult and some totally irrelevant to our kids. But i know some parents just want to be doing something with their kids, so they just print whatever they can find and don't care about quality.

sorry i so chiong he (long-winded) again!

Sorry for a bit of out topic in this thread.

Dear Tammy,

Great to hear that and it is not long winded at all.

I guess a lot of mommies hope to hear experiences and the truth. Thanks for sharing.

The reason that i sent my son to her class was hoping to see changes in his attitude towards learning. It didn't really work out for my case.

When i sent my son to lapbooking, i see many parents busy glueing and coaching their toddler in the class (toddler). Is it necessary for such a young age to attend enrichment? I personally feel that it is a waste of time and money.

Nurture young tots at home at such age is good enough. Read-aloud is the simplest and effective way.

Parents who is interested about how beneficial of reading aloud and how to go about it.
Please read this book- The read-aloud handbook
http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/0143037390/ref=pd_lpo_k2_dp_sr_1?pf_rd_p=1278548962&pf_rd_s=lpo-top-stripe-1&pf_rd_t=201&pf_rd_i=0844672343&pf_rd_m=ATVPDKIKX0DER&pf_rd_r=13N28EFS84KA26JQ6CG0

You meant your daughter finished book 1a to 9b within 2 months? Could she remember all or most of the words learnt bcos there are about 20 new words for 10 pages. It means 20 words learnt a day.

Did you explain and talk about pages she read?

Primary 1 preparation.
Have you read this thread? And what is your view?
http://www.kiasuparents.com/kiasu/forum/viewtopic.php?t=117

Odonata chinese
http://www.odonatabooks.com/webshaper/store/viewCat.asp?catID=3

He has completed 1st 100 words -10 books.

It is similar readers like Peter and Jane.

Now, we use these books- 7 readers in total from dangdang.com. Kids could learn 500 words.

http://myplayschool.net/%e5%9b%9b%e4%ba%94%e5%bf%ab%e8%af%bb-chinese-word-recognition-program/

His weekly lessons:
1 lesson of the above-mentioned reader (8-10 words per lesson) +
4-6 English sight words +
a set of phonics words (6-10 words) +
2-5 pages of math +
arts n craft

I read aloud 2-3 stories + recite lun yu to him daily.

I used homeschoolshare. It has the best free resources for lapbooking. We can't just use it all, have to cater to the child's ability.

For my case, i google a lot for relevant activites.

We had stopped lapbooking due to time constraints. I have a lot of materials prepared but no time to do it. Will do so when my son is more mature.

The above is personal views.

hi rabbit again! haha.. a bit paiseh to be off topci here again. thanks for sharing the links. never seen the book before but will go check out the odnata. where can you buy odonata series? thanks in advance! I know this chinese reader 四五快读 because tamarind (another forum mummy) recommended this a long time ago, way before this playschoolnet website did.

my cousin's girls used them before but didn't start from book 1. I was told the first 2 or even 3 books not necessary. A lot of reptition with what our local kindy will teach.

Wow your boy's weekly lessons are very organised. I am not so organized. my gal restarted P&J 2b or maybe 3b after we joined lapbooking class. Went from 2 pages a night to 10 pages a nite. At first, i also wondered if she can remember all the new words, but she can leh.. after we read a few pages, i will ask her questions and she can understand what she was reading. In P&J, the words repeated in later pages, so i didn't always revise a few times. Sometimes she will read page 1 to 5, next day, read 4 to 9, another day, 7 to 14 etc.. depending on how enthusiastic she is and how tired i am. Almost read daily and there was one week when we went through 2 books in 7 days! i think i skipped the B books in level 6 or 7, can't remember now, but when the new words appeared in the later series, she can read them too.

Honestly, my girl is no genius or gifted. Far from it. I think because of what she been through in the lapbook class,she is more sensitive to words and print now. Also, i think the discussion sessions in the class have improved her listening and ability to understand (comprehension). Also indirectly makes her more motivated to learn reading. Think attitude changes is important, so i don't have to push her, you see.

as for toddler classes, i think subjective matter really. it is like our 4 or 5 yrs old. some parents also think waste of $ to attend any enrichment and call us kiasu, right?
happy.gif
since our kids already attend kindy, why is there need to attend extra classes? but we have our own reasons,r ight?

For some parents, maybe they think that the earlier they start attending the classes, or at least in accompanied classes, they can learn themselves and then coach their kids at home.

wow rabbit.. the kiasuparent link is 65 pages long!! wahaha.. i must take a few days or nights to read first, then can comment, ok
happy.gif

Tammy,

Pei seh!

Wow. She has good memory.

I send my kids for enrichment as we are not good in english.

For Odonata books , you could get it from Popular, having discount 20% rite.

I got it from Malaysia as it is much cheaper. Anyway, u can try out library. Some library has it.

Initially i also thought of sending my girl for enrichment but i had changed my mind later on. She learns best at home. haaa.

It is long. I just read the 1st page. Scary!

My friend told me she sent her friend to a private tutor in Punggol. She teach in her own classroom which is her residential place. She uses Montessori Method and has taught in Brighton Montessori and Sunny Bunny MOntessori before. Her son went from zero and shoots right up to k1 standard within a few months! Heard that she also uses her own teaching method plus Jolly Phonics and Fitzroy readers. The teacher also did a short review on her child after each lesson so that she knows what is going on. I think sometimes it is not whether which school is popular anot, is about meeting the right teacher. Heard that she is patient.
happy.gif

Hi Fudge Thia,

Could you also give me her contact or email?
Im very interested too as my son has low immune system hence doc advise not to send him to a normal school.

Hi,

Can i know how much ICR charge for each lesson?
I'm keen to enrol my boy in as he is quite weak in english.

Thanks alot

<font color="aa00aa">Hi Piggy83,

For my girl whom is in ICR level, now is paying $465.45 (12 lessons)per term. This is for weekday. Weekend fee will be higher.</font>

Hi Mummies,
Merry Christmas to all!

I received a flyer this afternoon when I went to Thomson Plaza. Seems like there is a new preschool cum enrichment centre opening beside Thomson Plaza in Jan 2013. They have reading enrichment and Primary school preparatory programme. I called up and asked cos just nice my girl going to K2 next year and she still has problems reading. Abit gan cheong cos I plan to send her to Ai Tong. The lady was very nice and friendly and I have arranged with her to go see the school next week. Their reading enrichment programme is from Australia and its partially an online lesson. I think the name is Reading Eggs. Seems very interesting cos I went to the reading eggs website just now and the lessons were very fun. My girl quite likes to play on the computer and I think this will attract her. Besides having the online lessons, the teachers will also conduct activities in the classroom. I think will be a good balance.

They also have this Pri Sch preparatory programme sounds quite good too cos besides English and Maths, they also have this social and emotional learning lessons, something like learning how to listen, problem solving skills, focusing and paying attention etc. Which I feel my girl will need help in....she's quite hyper and can't really focus on a task for long. They having opening promo now. Got waiver off registration fees and discounts too.

Hi Jollysnow, I stay near Thomson Plaza, and happened to see the centre recently. It's known as "Giving Tre3" - unusual name for enrichment centre. It's quite a cosy and homely learning place.

They have quite an interesting reading programme from Australia. My 3-yr-old kid went for their trial and enjoyed the lesson, cos he got to learn to read the words through online games and activities. I've brought him around many places but he didn't quite like the "worksheets-and-reading" approach in those schools. So, in the end, I've signed him up for the reading class at "Giving Tre3" in Jan 2013.

You may want to check out the centre on their FB:
https://www.facebook.com/GivingTre3

Hi Fudge Thia,

Could you pm me her contact or email? I stay at sengkang and hope to find teacher to teach my gal on talking and reading.

Hi ,
i am thinking of enrolling my child into ICR.
Also anyone can recommend good educational games or materials to strengthen my child vocabulary ? like learning how to read more words
happy.gif
!
Thx in adv!

Hi can anyone give me Shirley contact number?

I never met her before. Based on the good comment on this forum, I emailed her and she replied there is a coming class tomorrow and asked me to make Payment ASAP via POSB transfer. I tt $277 to her and emailed her to ask for confirmation but haven't heard from her since. Pls help to pm me her number thanks

Hi all
Pls share with me any good recommended phonics English teacher's contact for my son, pls pm me, thanks in advance

Back