Horrible delivery experience at local hospital!!

babymeganboh

Hi everyone i recently gave birth to a healthy baby girl at one of the local hospitals. I wish to share my bad experience at this hospital.

My labour was a long process, about 20 hours. Labour pain started at 5pm in the afternoon, i endured for 8 hours without any painkillers. However by 1am the pain was excruciating and i opted for the epidural as i was only 1cm dillated with many more hours to go. The nurses topped up the anaesthetic after a few hours. Finally i was fully dillated and was wheeled into the delivery suite at around 12pm which was when i noticed that the level of anaesthetic was low. I didnt voice out my concern as i assumed that the nurses were professionals and will know what they are doing.

The nurse which was initially attached to me was called out of the room halfway and was replace by another nurse whom i assume is not local. This nurse kept stepping out of the delivery suite to chat with other nurses and even took water for herself and was drinking it in front of me when i am pushing. This is my first baby i am not experience about the birthing process. However i feel that it is not acceptable to leave a woman to push for herself in the delivery suite regardless of the period of time being left alone.

Throughout the pushing i kept asking the nurse if they have called the gynae, and the nurse kept telling me that it is still too early. At about 1pm i could feel that the baby is coming and i begged the nurse to call the gynae, however they gave me the same reply. Shortly after the gynae actually came into the delivery suite on his own initiative. I know that gynaes are supposed to make an incision in order for the baby to come out. However there was a tear in my vagina. I am not sure if this is becaused the nurses have delayed calling the gynae resulting in the tear.

I gave birth shortly after 5-10mins, the pain during this last few moments was simply unbearable. I could feel the gynae stitching me up and was obviously looking in pain and distress. This was when the gynae asked the nurse how come i am in so much pain if i am on epidural. He questioned the nurse on why didnt they top up the anaesthetic for me. To which the nurse replied that it just ran out. However accordingly to the gynae that is not possible as there should be a lingering effect. If i am feeling this much pain, the epidural must have worn off long before.

After the gynae left the delivery ward i was left alone once again to bear with the pain of my cervix contracting. My husband tried to asked for painkillers as he saw that i was clearly in pain. The nurse said that they cant prescribe any painkillers in the delivery suite and i will have to wait till i go back to my ward. My husband was rushing the nurses to transfer me back to the ward asap however they said that the "trolley bed" is currently in use. My husband was so upset that he almost wanted to wheel me out of the delivery suite on the bed that i gave birth on. Finally after a long and miserable 90 mins the nurse came in with the "trolley bed" which she simply push beside me and said na..... She expected me to shift myself off the delivery bed and onto the trolley bed all by myself. It was only after my husband insisted did they get another nurse to help me with the shifting.

After going back to the ward i was so exhausted i slept immediately. It was only after i woke up did i started crying from the trauma. If i had opted for no epidural, the contractions in between will build up my resistance to pain. In my case i was resting for 10hours without any pain to suddently feel the pain all at once at the last moment.

The experience was really traumatising and i am totally disappointed and appalled by the nurse at this hospital.

I am currently contemplating on suing the hospital for negligence and the trauma caused. Do anyone know if i have a case against them? Open to feedbacks

babymeganboh, after reading your experience i feel pain inside.. hope you are healing now...
is good that you write and sue them for this neglience act..

take care!

Hi, someone told me never to give birth in local public hospital coz one of the nurses commented to my fren 'now u in so much pain during labour but when u were having sex it was shiock rite, so u have no rite to scream in pain.'

And this public hospital even pushed her in a wheelchair that kind with a urine hole , instead of a bed to her ward.

Hope its not the same hospital u went to
sad.gif

Hi Babymeganboh, after reading your experience it sent chills down my spine. I'm a first time mum-to-be. Hope u are recovering well now. Do u mind to pm me which hospital is that?

Hi can pm me as well which hospital....
i am going to deliver end of next month...
will change hospital if it the same one that u mentioned....

Hi babymeganboh

So sry to hear your story. It sends chill down my spine.

Can pm me the name of the hospital pls? I'm currently seeing gynae at local hospital.

oh no.. i think the hospital is tmc...cos i want to pm babymeganboh and happened to see the hospital she indicated there..

har....
den must reconsider to choose the hospital. Im wondering which gynae is it? how come the gynae never take action anything?

Sad to Hear that. You should raise up to your gynae. You might need him as a witness so just check with him first.

Actually I think the nurses in KKH and SGH gynaecology are much friendlier than this.

Oh dear. No mummy should have gone thru that.

I delivered at tmc n had no probs. but mine was a really smooth delivery. Think i reach the hosp, around 530am or 6am. I was hooked up on the monitor belt thing. Next thing I know the nurse ask me to go delivery ward. No time for epi. Only use ethonox gas. At first one nurse ask me not to push, then another senior nurse came in n argue say that I can't wait n just push first. She say dont worry n push. Was quite a blur, but next thing I know my gynae came, n I pushed then bb was out by 7am. I even got a cup of milo while waiting to go to my ward coz i said i was so hungry.

But my sil previously delivered at kkh had a bad experience like nurse kept scolding her to push. Hubby wasn't allowed in wt her after delivery while waiting for ward. So her #2 was at tmc. She say it was like heaven (@tmc) n hell (@kkh). She say nurses at tmc were very encouraging in the pushing process.

Think it could be luck on who is on duty during ur delivery. I will still go to tmc for my #2. Coz I love the hosp food. N my gynae stay really near there. I really think his response time was 5 min. He came in his tshirt n shorts. Which my hubby only noticed after the delivery. When he was leaving the delivery ward. Think fast response time of my gynae is impt to me.

So sorry to hear that. Hope u've recovered well and full by now. Dun dwell on that part and make urself angry or sad. Ennjoy the time with ur gal
happy.gif

I think it also depends on the gynae u choose. My gynae will never allow the nurses to let this happen. Ur gynae has to call the shots right? If he allow the nurses to be so negligent to his patient, what does that say about his authority n the respect nurses have for him?

I hope u have recovered from the trauma that you have went thru babymegan.

Will all respect to all ladies, I would think it is unfair to categorize the hospital is "bad" due to the negligence of that ONE nurse. (Tho personally, I would urge babymegan to take actions against either the nurse or hospital)
I myself had my 2nd child last year and though I delivered at the same hospital with my first, I felt that the standard had dropped. And for this, I attributed it to the peak dragon year. There are more babies being delivered and this is more than what the nurses and relevant infra can cope. Thus resulting in possible tiredness thus negligence etc.

Anyways, to all moms to be, hoping u haf a smooth and enjoyable delivery. Dun b too concerned abt the hospital that you have chosen/choosing. There will b black sheeps in every hospital (including the supposed best)

Oh dear, which hospital with that !
Congrats to your new born . i think you should make a complain of that nurse and the hospital.
hope you are feeling better now ! Thanks for sharing too
happy.gif

I always thought of delivering my babies in a "branded" hospital. So for my #1, I went to one. When I was warded when baby was 7 mth due to contractions, it was 11pm. No doctor was ard. Nurses came to check on me and updated my gynae via phone. My gynae came only at 8am the next morning. He did a test and said water bag leaking and the baby should be pre term. He advised me to go to a public hospital as the ICU charges in a pte hospital is high. Well at about 10am, I was on my way to SGH, full facilities. Once there, I received so much attention from the nurses and doctors there. And the doc did the same test said the water bag was not leaking! Later they did a blood test and it was confirmed as virus attack of the white blood cells.
Can you imagine the big difference??!! If I stayed on in that pte hospital, they would have delivered my child! Anyway my #1 was born full term in SGH, and my #2 and #3 are SGH babies too.
They have a team of doctors and nurses there to take care of the patients, irregardless who the principal doc is.We always think negatively about public hospital but I am so glad that I chose SGH.

Kiko, agree with you that nurses at KKH and SGH are so so so friendly!

Babymeganboh, thanks for sharing. Update us about the complaint ok.

Is it KK? Had bad experience there too? They (nurse) say baby is coming out and refuse to give me my epi when it runs out...

And say bad things when i am screaming in pain... like, you have "pleasure" before, now, abit of pain you cannot endure... (u know what they mean..)

Expecting to deliver at KK Hospital this June 2013 and understand that under subsidy scheme, midwife or doctor on duty will be doing the delivery instead. Anyone under the same scheme? Pls share your experience and if you have any recommended doctor to recommend, pls share it too.

Gosh....

If anything like this happens to any mummy, I suggest writing to Straits Times to complain. Only in this way, the hospital will react faster to your feedback.

Can feel yr pain n discomfort as I read on.....didnt knw tat this hospital has drop soo much in their standards. I jux didnt like their parking space as too small n construction going on too.

I suggest b4 u blow to the media, try to seek compensation from de hospital management n see how they comment about yr case. I believed they will compensate for risk of reputation n also obviously their nurses failed to carry out their jobs in a caring way n also nt responsible enugh.

I hv similar experience with a local hospital (nt tmc) during my delivery in 2009. I did nt take any actions then coz we were too overwhelm with a new baby as we do not hv any additional assistance. It is only me & my hubby to take care of our new baby with a lot of other additional domestic issues.

Same here I gave birth to my healthy baby girl in KKH too. And their service n gynae that attend to me is good too:)

Back