Cutting of baby's fingernails

Discussion in 'Year 2009 Mums' started by breezie80, Mar 15, 2009.

1. breezie80

breezie80 Member

Hi, would like to know when do u start to cut your baby's nails? and do u use nail clipper or scissors? seems very difficult to cut cos their fingers are soooo tiny!
  2. echt

echt Member

hi,
    me cut my boy's nails after he turn 1 mth old where i remove his mittens liao. use e curve scissors, much easier =)
  3. kennyg

kennyg New Member

hi,

As for me, I use the baby nail clipper. I usually cut my son's nails when my wife is breastfeeding him.

At least he won't move.
  4. zolldoll

zolldoll Member

Hi, i always cut his nails the min my son falls asleep, this makes things much easier. I started when he was about slightly over a month old.
  5. anya

anya Member

I cut his after his 1st mth..I use clippers..sometimes he is awake when i cut his nails..nowadays is my mum tat help him cut..
  6. ~dg~

~dg~ New Member

i started when i see his nails started to grow long! used a scissors to cut when he's asleep.
  7. bel_vodka

bel_vodka Well-Known Member

i cut after my boy turned 1 mth for some chinese significant.. ..
  8. nana_moby

nana_moby New Member

i have been cutting my ger's nail with clippers/scissors since she was 2 weeks... find that clippers is easier when she was smaller coz bb below 3 mths tends to clench their fist... after 3 mths, i used scissors.. i do it when she is awake ley.. coz my ger dun really struggle much and i wanted to explain to her wat mummy is doing.. she seems to understand so she let me cut.. hahaha
  9. charis_tan

charis_tan New Member

Hi breezie,

jus to share with u my hubby cut off part of my bb fingertips for 2 fingers while using baby clippers when she is awake.

Now we use bb scissors instead and cut when she is asleep..
  10. yiyi123

yiyi123 Member

My boy is about 12 weeks old... he is still on mittens.. many pple tell me is time to remove his mitten.. but everytime I leave him alone without mitten, and I have tried my best to cut his nail short, his face still get scratches... So the quesyion is mittens or scratches??
  11. lukes_mom

lukes_mom New Member

hi yiyi123,

usually by 3 mths, babies are curious and strong enough to grasp at things, esp hanging toys on the playgym, so dats y pple say it's time to remove the mittens.

u myt wanna continue watching him when his mittens are off so dat u can stop him when he's abt to scratch his face. or u can take his mittens off only when it's playtime at the playgym.

but nowadays the weather is so hot, i'm also likely to take off my baby's mittens soon. cos his hands get stinky due to the sweat buildup under the mittens.
  12. heavenlymade

heavenlymade Member

yiyi
    u should really take his mitten off already. its time for him to explore his hands n fingers. to minimise the scratches, after cutting his finger nails, remember to file them.
  13. yiyi123

yiyi123 Member

Joanne,
    Yea... tried your idea by filing his nails as short as possible... will only let him wear mittens at night(sleeping). Seems to be working! Thanks for your advice!!
  14. joily

joily New Member

<font color="aa00aa">i actually cut my 1mth old girl and 3yo son's fingernails with a baby nail cutter.

what i actually do is cut the edge and then peel it off.

its fast and good!! ;)</font>
  15. mehui

mehui New Member

Best to do when bb is asleep (safer!). Cut nail quickly and decisively too - no need to be too short if u are going to trim them weekly.