Converted to part time after 1 month of no pay leave

Yuuki_Asuna

Hello all I am currently in a situation that I was wondering if I will get anything if I go down to MOM to make a report.

My baby is now 4 months old. I have cleared my maternity leaves and annual leave. My maternity leave is supposedly to end on 1st December. Initially my mother-in-law was supposed to take care and I am staying over at my in laws. But due to the safety of my baby as my sister in law attempted to kill her when she is 1 month plus. I had to move out to my parents place temporarily and my mother in law doesn't want to travel so far to take care of my baby. I told my boss on 2nd November that due to such circumstances, I would have to take no pay leave from December onwards until the issue of caregiver for my baby is solved. He actually agreed. I didn't terminate from my job and neither did he say that he wanted to terminate me. Instead he told me to settle it ASAP. Thinking that he really need my help I actually made a lot of planning and found a rental flat near my in laws so my mother in law can take care of my baby. Before giving the deposit for the rental. I actually messaged my boss on 30th November informing him that I can return to work full time in January. He actually replied "Great! Welcome back to the team! So it is confirmed?" I confirmed with him and because of his message I paid the rental deposit. We could move in earlier than expected, so On 22nd December I messaged my boss telling him that I can start work next week. Only to receive a message telling me that he will let my colleague decide. Isn't he the boss????

End up. I received this

Hi ____, with pertaining your reinstatement with _______ after discussion with Ms ____, we are pleased to offer yourself a part time position for teaching cum administrative duties on Wednesday and Friday, 3pm to 9pm and on Saturday, 10am to 6pm.

As much as we understand that you have commitments, but please do understand that AMK is running on high overheads too.

In view of your request to work as full time, we would review when there's more enrolments and demand.

You may lias with _____,for the contract details, should you decide to take up our offer.

Thank you

Pauline

The issue now is why no one informed me that my position will be changed to part time if I joined back? Didn't I gave them 1 month notice of my no pay leave? And also, when someone take no pay leave.. their position will be affected? Also.. I felt that they should let me know in advance and not send me for a joy ride. So at least I can decide to look for another job or be a stay at home mum.. It's pointless to rent a flat so I can work part time.. How much can I earn for working 3 days a week? Now due to them, I have no job and I have to find one to cover for the rental. I have an extra burden of paying rental which I initially do not have when I am on no pay leave and staying at my parents place. I can't be unreasonable and back out on the rental as the rental money is people's income as well.

Isit possible for mom to get them to compensate me? I am now at a loss and financially stressed up cuz of unnesscary rental expenses now.

Depending on your company's policy, some companies do not guarantee a position for employees who take long no pay leave. But they should have informed you that in advance when they change your position to part time. It looks like you have taken more than 14 days no pay leave since 2 Dec, please check if your company has a policy which pro-rates annual leave/benefits if you take > 14 days leave in a year, i.e., the annual leave you have already utilized after your maternity leave will have to be paid back to the company.

You can choose to go to MOM only if you fit the criteria: http://www.mom.gov.sg/employment-practices/employment-act/who-is-covered
If not it will have to be raised via a civil court.

Back