BEWARE CONFINEMENT LADY: WANG YU YAN FROM PEM

nia88

I engage PEM and have a confinement lady from March 21 to April 17. I was given this confinement lady named Wang Yu Yan with ID no. 704. She ask us to call her AH YAN! She is 42 years old. Mine was only her 5th case in Singapore. Although she say she have experience in Malaysia but I feel that she is not up to standard in a certain way!

She is a very stubborn woman and she love to talk back when we go against what she wants. The way she talk sometimes is very intolerable! The way she behaves in front of me and my husband and the way she behaves when my in laws are at home is different! I let her complete her service of 28 days because I feel that it might be a hassle to change to another CL and she had worked for about 2 weeks when her attitude slowly changes and she is getting lazier too. As she puts up a good show in front of my in laws, she gain good record from them. Well, perhaps she forget who is paying her and who she should really take care of.

Some incidents to share: We did mentioned that don't give pacifier to out child unnecessarily and we don't like the idea of it. He is still too young for it as it may causes nipple confusion. But I still see her giving him. I asked her why she say he is crying badly but the thing is that we did not hear him crying very badly! And she did not try to pacify him first before sticking the pacifier to him. I told her not to give him anymore and he cries for a reason only till no choice then we can give in to giving him it. She said ok but behind my back I still see her giving him! When relatives came to visit me she will tell them I don't allow her to give but she is still giving whenever! When I crept in to the room 1 night, I saw her putting him on the same mattress, lying beside her, and mouth sucking a pacifier I asked her why is he not on his cot she says that he keep moving around making her can't sleep and got to climb up to see him and this is making her very tired!! It happened again after days! Having the baby with her on e mattress is such a dangerous thing! She put baby on the edge while she sleeps in the inner part. What if baby turns or moves around and had his way falling to the floor? Or what if she is too tired and she toss and turned herself onto baby? She then kept telling my in law that in the middle of the night she wakes up every hour to feed or soothe the baby causing her having almost no sleep. In the afternoon, she have her naps for hours and throwing the baby to my arms and ignoring everything! Even when the baby suddenly screams and cries, she did not come to offer her help to help in soothing the baby. All these plays a part in making me not being able to rest during my confinement.

Next, in the beginning, when she bathes baby in the morning, baby will scream and cry. My mother in law touched the water and says it's too hot. She has quite a high level of tolerance of touching hot stuffs, even she feels that is hot so she told her. Standing at her own stand, she says it's not hot. It's normal. But baby still screech till the bath is over. I did touched the water myself and feels that it's hot and took a thermometer to measure before and it was 41°C. I did say her and even commenting that if she don't know the exact temperature to go, she can use the thermometer too. She say no need for that as she trust her own hands. After few days of that, my mother in law herself prepared the water for baby's bath herself and helped in bathing the baby in the morning. Because firstly the water is too hot made by her and secondly she cannot cope in bathing baby alone as he keeps kicking, rejecting the bath to take place and she cannot hold the baby well herself! After my mother in law prepares the water for baby's bath, baby did not even cry at all during his bath. So what does this proves?

Swaddling the baby is what we learnt at classes so that baby feels cosy and protected. So we asked the CL to swaddle him too. But she keeps claiming that baby like his hands outside, don't like to be swaddled. So she did not listen to us and just cover him with the blanket to sleep or sometimes she did 'swaddle' him, the body only. His legs and hands will still be dangling outside. Her reasons will be if not baby will be making noise and she have to climb up and down again! As baby always got a shock while sleeping, we keep asking her to let him sleep sideways but as being stubborn, she still lets the baby sleep openly facing up. She says that he will turn and make himself lying flat up again, well.... there's pillows given to her to use to support him to avoid turning, she doesn't want to use them. Correction, she did put the pillows there BUT not on the side of the baby but a slight distance away!

She is also a very proud lady. When saying something is right she will proudly say already say it. Eg.my son has jaundice and when we went back to see the doctor the doctor says no need to shine him anymore as he is recovering. Next day, I still see the CL sunning so I just say doctor say no need already then she say she feel that just continue shine is better. But few days later, his jaundice is back so we went to another PD. The PD say since jaundice is coming back and is not so high, we can suntan him to let him recover. The CL then say 'see,already told u suntan him you still say no need'. But after the 'no need' that I say, I still see her sunning him. So, what's the need for commenting and saying me for? A PD gave us rid wind medicine for him and I told her before give him half an hour before food. She agreed. Then, I still see her giving him the medicine and making him to sleep. So I asked if he is drinking anytime soon. She say no, I say the medicine is for him to eat half an hour before food and not eat to sleep. I say I told you before and you still 'orh' to me. She say I never say! I got angry and just say, it is written on the box itself!

In the beginning, she sleeps with the baby with door open, then after baby was hospitalize and back at home, she started closing the door when she sleeps at night. I did told her don't close but I still sees door closes. Everytime when I go in and leave the room, I will leave the door open but she still go and closes it. My hubby say let her be then I kept quiet about it! Well, who knows what is happening inside? Also, she likes to bottle feed the baby. When is time for milk she will not tell me but will own prepare the milk for him. She says bottle feeding will let her know how much he drinks!

The day before she left, my family came to pay a visit and commented about the house etc as it was their first time coming to my in laws place. The CL then told my mother in law about what they had say, commenting house is small BUT they were just commenting about a particular room. This matter made my mother in law unhappy and we only learnt about it from my father in law after the CL returns. She is in such good terms with my mother in law and trying to make her happy everytime. Anyhow creating stories that made my in law believes in her. Even before she goes, there is supposed to be a feedback form for us to comment on her service BUT I did not receive it. It was passed to my in laws and written by them back to her.

After she left, I found the PEM guidebook to each CL, I suppose. I read and realize that they should be smiley, apologise for their wrongs. Well, nothing was followed. She did not even let us check her luggage before leaving. After reading the book then I know she should ask us to check her bags. Hopefully she did not steal anything from the house.

I hope PEM will do some actions about her behavior an attitude. I do not wish other mummies out there to suffer what I had and making me sad during the crucial confinement period!

Regards,
Eugenia

To add on:

When nobody is at home, leaving only her and the baby, while I'm having my massage on the room, she will be sitting on the sofa watching TV in the living room, treating herself as a big shot. Even my massage lady sees that. Sometimes when she's late for massage due to rain or jams, my confinement lady will questioned her in why is she late. She shouldn't be etc.... I did not say anything and is ok with her being late yet she tells my massage lady off!

When my baby is sleeping in the noon, I will see her sometimes playing her hp games, watching show on phone and even playing wechat with her friends / family. She can even be talking loudly on her phone! Is kind of disturbing as I may be getting my rest in my room and she's talking loudly. But if when there are others around, she doesn't talk as loud. Just like when my baby is cranky and crying, I heard times she scold him like why must cry so loud, are you trying to tear down the house. But when in laws in, I never hear such things!

This is really bad. . U shd feedback to pem. . I had my cl from pem too.. she also pattern a lot but not as bad as urs.. I even tried to get a replacement but they can't find any for me which made me super upset. This is also a very bad confinement period for me as well.

Stinzy: I thought PEM did mention in the contract that they will be able to find you replacement if not satisfied. This is equally bad.

PEM did ensure me that all their cl are good and will be terminated if clients complained about them twice.

I hope TS did feedback to PEM to avoid incident from happening to the next mummy.

Sorry to hear about your experience but I would say 7 out of 10 CL are no good... I had my fair share of issues with my own CL though it was through recommendation and I definitely feel you.. I suffered from mild depression and almost went for ligation so as not to experience confinement ever again, but decided against that in case my boy wish for a sibling when he is older..

I had my CL from PEM also. My worst decision EVER! i wrote in to PEM to tell them this type of person is not suitable to take care of babies and i hope no babies have to go thru the same ordeal! If im trying for a second baby, i rather not have confinement nanny than to engage one from PEM.

I'm surprised to find there's a post here on PEM!

I am still doing my confinement and changed 3 already!!! Each confinement lady has their own pattern and I would not recommend anyone to use PEM anymore.

I used them in 2007 and thought it's not bad but this round, I'm totally disgusted by the nannies. They first send you the newbies hoping no complaints when you complain, they give you the slightly more experienced but when you complained again, they send you an even lousier one who thinks so highly of themselves.

Get nanny through word of mouth better.

I also had a very bad CL from PEM. She never introduce herself,she only ask us to call her Har jie. All i can say is she is lazy, waste food and always find excuses. Initially when she arrived, we still find that she is hardworking. But her true colour shows after the 3rd day. She cannot even perform the basic requirements of what has been stated in the contract. She kinda act smart by doing things before consulting us. The following are a few examples which I will quote. If i were to write more, i think it will be a composition than forum

a) The chinese herbs which my wife need to use for cleaning herself up. The content is for 3 weeks supply but within 5 days, she told me that the herbs is going to finish and are many more stock?

b) She mixed up all the pails which is use to wash my baby cloths. When my mother explained to her, she talked back.

c) After sterilizing the milk bottle, water in the sterilizer was not empty. Same goes for my warmer. I've personally called up PEM to find out is this their practice, they claimed that the CL got to check with us if to empty the water or leave it. But the problem here is she did not ask.

d) Boiling of water for making milk and we had to clear up her mess etc. Even if reading magazine on the table, we had to close back the magazine and put back to our original location. It seems that shes the owner of the house rather than us.

e) After i questioned her 3 times, she can tell me off by saying if i don't like change another CL lor.

Can you imagine she spend her free time watching drama on her handphone in the afternoon and sleep like a log in the night. There were a few occasion whereby my wife went into the room and carry our baby out of the room for feeding, she did not wake up. She like to talk back and defending herself each time. This CL has more free time as compared to us. Most of the things we are doing for her. I would think that maybe CL from PEM in the early years were good but now is depend on you 'heng' or 'suay'.

Last edited:
Yes, I agree totally, the confinement nanny from heydays were much much better as they are really experienced and nowadays the nannies are just out to earn money only. I am also busier with baby more than the confinement nanny. They now talk back and argue and say we can always send them back if we want to. The 3rd one that came for my confinement told me on the 2nd day that she don't like to be bossed around when I ask her to change baby's diaper. I told her she can go if she want. I can jolly well do without a nanny if she is going to behave like that and because I told her she can jolly well see for herself that I do not sleep the entire day and I am awake at all times even if baby is sleeping. Barely 5 mins later, she apologized to me and say she say say only. I said don't say say, you want to go, the door is always open and she even threatened me by saying I already took 3 nannies from PEM and PEM won't give me another nanny, I said FINE, I haven't even complained about the 3 nannies that PEM sent.

My nanny did not even wash the cloth diapers on her 2nd last day of work, she just soaked and left it there and keep telling me that confinement nanny leave at 8plus in the morning and not till 10am.

How's that for confinement? I would say, don't take nannies from PEM.

I am having my confinement now & my nanny is from PEM.
I am very irritated with the nanny. Makes a mess in my kitchen & keeps complaining this & that to me . Telling me to buy this & that. If it is not becoz she takes good care of my bb , I would have change her . I also find it a hassle to change nanny. Trying to tahan the 28 days. Can't wait for it to end !

If I m going to have second bb , I would seriously consider if I want to use PEM again.

If you are getting nanny from agency then beware of Aunty Nanny (owner: Mei Yoong). Nannies provided we're totally unqualified and inexperienced. First nanny had some dispute with agency prior to coming to our place, and promptly refused to start work when told that we're unable to provide a "private toilet" for her use.

5 days later we were sent a replacement who confessed that she had never done confinement aside from her own grandchildren who are now 5 yrs old. Yet the agency lied through their teeth in claiming that She had 5 years confinement experience. She had nice personality, so we have her a chance to "learn" - she doesn't even know how to change diapers or burp the baby (luckily my mom was around to guide her) but she gave up after 4 days.

Agency kicked up a fuss when we decided to discontinue the service for not wanting them to just send us a 3rd unqualified replacement. In the end we only recovered about 60% of what we paid for 4 days of "confinement service". Thoroughly disappointed and would caution anyone planning to engage Aunty Nanny.

We had a slightly better experience with PEM, thankfully! Was going to go with a private one but last minute she couldn't make it...

The first nanny we got (I can't even remember her name) kept complaining and stressing me out by saying that the baby has not enough milk (I was trying to breastfeed). She also kept asking about how much money my husband and I made along with how much our place cost and was a bit of a lazy bum. Good thing about her is that she does treat the baby well and respect our wishes.

I didn't know any better (first time mum) that she was supposed to cook 5 meals a day for me! Luckily my mum noticed after awhile that she was only offering me biscuits for the extra two meals.. And this first nanny suddenly had a dizzy spell attack. So she gave us the reason to get a replacement.

Thank goodness for that!! Our second nanny from PEM was an angel in disguise! Nanny Janet (no 342 or 324...I can't remember!) is the gentlest, soft spoken, most efficient lady who is also very good at cooking! After we got her, then I realised what kind of crap the first nanny was feeding me :/ before I even realise it, she would have cleaned the house, bathed the baby and cooked my breakfast for me already!

If we have number two, I'm definitely asking for her.

P.S. Ladies, please don't let the nanny do all the night feeds if you are breastfeeding. Breastfeeding your baby at night is one of the best ways to make sure you have enough milk for the day as frequent emptying in the initial stages encourages more milk production. It is tough and tiring but worth it in the long run!

Back