Being SPECIAL ,...

City
no, i mean check their websites - maybe got info on what you can do for Sym? Somw mat sell books or programmes you can buy and do the stuffs yourself - since the therapists here not doing much for Sym.

I do most of the stuffs myself for my girl. Also got no money to go overseas leh. But assessment no choice coz not available here in Singapore! We take our holiday there as well when we go for her assessment! Looks like we can only take hols in Melbourne each time! ha ha

heyhey, I found the thread
http://www.singaporemotherhood.com/forumboard/messages/451986/893799.html?1185451621
897946.jpg

Cowandchick - paper talk n no practical, I prefer got practical/ppl show me cos not everything fully illustrated = sometimes dont undertand .... just like GD, what I read on the book dif aft I attend the real thing. some easy to catch ball .... some forumers talking on my girl's syndrome made me c stars (Think my brain old already)

Go Melbourne - travel good!! No USA??

Hi City

USA is another place suitable for my girl's assessments. But too far, and so expensive leh. How to afford? Nearly brot her to New York 3 years ago, when I didn't hear from centre in Melbourne. Hb fuming mad about costs! Luckily Melbourne responded, so made trip there instead!

But we also have to think long term. Singapore not a very good / conducive place for people like my girl. Don't know what will happen in the future, but we hope to be able to help her as much as we can lor!

What kind of therapy does Sym need? Since she's already attended some sessions, do you also need to do them with her at home?

USA has a lot of support/info on special needs but really far, expensive n the time dif turning day into night is hard for my body clock ... anyway, no $ to travel (holiday) so can forget about receiving any expensive treatment/consultation. When I feed her, she's already turning and head her mouth
angry.gif

Sym needs drilling on fine and gross motor skills. I should train her with pincer grasp but she's now very choosey on food (used to be her favourite) so if I want her to pick up her own food or spoon/fork then no need to eat liao cos she can go for a hunger strike!!

Know what you mean when you talk about cost of consultation and treatment. Theoretically my girl needs to go back for yearly review coz her impairment is progressive - worsens with time. But, how to afford travel every year. Already once every 2 yrs a strain for us, coz whole family got to go!

That's why I try to get info from internet, and see what I can do on my own lor. But assessment, I cannot do leh. Need the professionals.

Now, my girl is due for occupational therapy. Actually, I overlooked that previously. Ordered some books and video. See if I can do something on my own first. Then, save up some money to bring her to Sydney for therapy! What to do, no one here can do it leh!

Besides using food to train Sym with pincer grasp, any other things that can also work? The idea is the motor skill, right? Not so much the food, at least for now? What are Sym's fav foods?

Have you tried writing to the USA websites for advice or more info. Beats going all the way there. I did that when my girl was first diagnosed. I wrote to strangers all over the world. That's how I got to know about Melbourne and NY! And these people are really nice, to offer advice.

Singapore is a lousy place to bring up a special kid!!!
sad.gif

Agree - Singapore is a lousy place to bring up a special kid.

I have just joined a support grp for kids with multiple handicaps/disabilities. Experienced parents' view - cheap and relevant, although having different medical diagnose.

Sym's favourite food can turn out to be transparent if she doesnt feel like eating. She doesnt play toys so I find it hard to make her fingers more agile/useful - pointing, pincer, waving, etc. Furthermore, she has short attention span.

I signed up for a few overseas forums (parents exchanged views usually from USA) related to her syndrome not on any special therapies. When u know something but u cant afford, what's the use of knowing.

I've only attended a course (somebody sponsored) - held in Spore not USA. Further assessment and continuance is in USA, cost $3000+

Good that you are able to join a support group, even tho the diagnoses are different. Similar needs?

I wish I have a group to join, just parents with visually impaired kids. Sigh, tried to get the association here to help organise one, they say cannot! Why not? Sigh!

Was the course you attended useful? Do you get useful information from the overseas forums? What do the other parents do for their children? Can you also do something similar for Sym?

Similar needs? my grp involving chromosome and speech problem.

Was the course you attended useful? Useful but need 2 adults to carry out 'exercise' so wasnt able to do anything - shorthanded, hubby works long hrs.

Do you get useful information from the overseas forums? Yes, from forums created by experienced users.

What do the other parents do for their children? mainly reading, patterning, masking (seizures), Maths, etc.

Can you also do something similar for Sym? Can, I DIY reading but Sym doesnt want to pay attention. Others, need extra hand so cant carry out.

Did u try set up a thread or search at Yahoo Group - visual impairment kids? I found this:
http://groups.yahoo.com/search?query=visual+impairment

Thanks City for the link. Most went already, info so-so only. Prefer to get to the professionals. Some not really relevant. But that's how searches goes. Not everything relevant, got to slowly sieve them out lor. Time consuming hor!

Tried to set up thread here, but nobody leh! Nevermind lah, just keep going lor. I'm sure one day something better can be done for special needs kids. Try to be optimistic, otherwise can become suicidal!

Sometimes, go to slowly, try and try again, no choice. Even for my girl, taking us years to get her to learn her braille properly! Now, I think she's forgotten all that she's learned previously. Got to start all over again lor! Hiyoh!!!

Hey City, come to think of it, will just any special school do for Sym, since there isn't one that caters specifically to Angelman Syndrome? I know SSVH does take in special needs children with/without visual impairment. They also have classes for Autistic children. But the school is in toa payoh.

You may want to check them up? www.ssvh.edu.sg Call the Principal, Mr Koh, for clarification. But last i know, they DO NOT have any full-time therapists there. One comes in once or twice a week only.

Fees are not very ex. If rates are same for all, it should be around $20 a month. They may have different rates for special classes, I'm not sure. Better to check with the school.

yah, you stay very far leh!

That was the fees we paid 3 years ago. If means testing not kicked in yet, should remain the same, or thereabouts lor!

Some parents stay Bedok/East Coast side also bring their kid there coz much cheaper. But before you enrol Sym, you should go take a look at the place first. Quite run-down old buildings. The teachers may have changed. Check around first before committing yourself lor!

hi
is this thread still active? i have a 4mth old daughter who's having feeding difficulties. she seems to have a problem sucking and swallowing and will only feed in her sleep(v slow and tedious process). i suspect it may be neurological. our paed has adviced us to see a neurologist to examine her altho when he saw her he thought she looked alert and responsive, but jus to be sure. her feeding problem started at about 5weeks. so it's bn 3mths now.

jus want to check with any of you who might have similiar experience with me who will be able to share with me. i jus want to know wat to expect later on in her life and how to manage her for now especially her feeds. cos i'm struggling to get milk into her and dun really want to tube feed her cos right now she's not critically underweight. we still manage to feed her in her sleep and are supplementing her caloric intake with carbo powder prescribed by dr.

hi ValC
Dont understand what u mean feed when she's sleeping. Sleep still can feed, wont get choke? spoon or bottle feed?

Did PD say y she cant feed normally during the day?

hi ValC
Have you brot your bb to PD for referral? It might be better to do just that first. We do not know for sure what is actually wrong, or if there's anything wrong at all wif your bb!

Let us know how it goes!

Hey City,
know what happened to all the other mummies on this thread? Missed chatting with them leh!
How's Sym doing? The school ok already?

hi city & cowandchick
at abt 5weeks she started having difficulties feeding on the bottle. she would keep breaking suction with the teat and gulp air and then start crying. to it seemed like her tongue is not moving appropriately so the sucking and swallowing is affected. it came to a point that she totally rejected feeding. so the only way is we put her to sleep then feed. she does choke alot, whether awake or asleep. at 4mths she still can't figure out the spoon yet.

we may go see a neuro after all to eliminate possibilities.

Hello cowandchick
ya lor, so quiet .... where everybody gone to?
Sym is progressing slightly better cos one of the kid in the class was transferred elsewhere 2wks agon thus giving teacher a chance to spare some time for Sym. A new kid coming but I hope that child could report next yr ..... sent my girl there to learn not to rot/past time lah!

Hi ValC
tougue issue? Sym had tougue thrusting which means she doesnt suck her teat but using her top jaw and lower jaw to press out the milk. Initally I didnt know y she drank little milk, refused milk totally b4 turning 1yr (stopped bf at 1mth), just b4 she turned 1yr old, we found she has a problem (alerted KKH since she's 3mths old but no action done) and it was due to this chromosome that she's 'behaving' weird.

Do let her drink more milk/fluid. I cut a bigger hole for the teat and I 'pour' liquid into her mouth , meaning pour, take out bottle, swallow, pour again, take out. Teat is better den syringe cos softer. U can also spoon feed but might spill.

c whether this method works, if not, u need to go polyclinic. If necessary, ask for referral to KKH. I believe they have feeding/OT therapy.

hi city
can tell me more abt this chromosomal thing? how did u get it diagnosed? can a neuro do that?

also how did ur child take to spoonfeeding solids? wat am I to expect of the future.

I also stopped latching my girl from 1mth cos low weight gain. hv bn pumping till now. who knew bottefeeding wld become a nitemare with screaming and crying and now rejecting.

i've seen a gastroenterologist, 2 lactation consultants and a speech therapist and so far nothing has helped.

Hi City

Glad to hear Sym doing ok at school. So how big the class now?

ValC
Hope everything gets sorted out quickly for your bb. I think you need to find out what's the problem first. Then, you can find out more to see what can be done or what to expect. A lot of times certain illnesses or syndromes can be quite similar but have different progressions and outcomes.
All the best to you and your bb.

can i know how do i go about finding out the problem? blood tests? see a neuro? wat will a neuro do? CT scan? or MRI? any other tests to do?

Possible issues for a baby refusal:

Make sure that a physical problem is not causing baby to resist nursing. Could baby have a birth injury or other condition that makes positioning for nursing painful? Birth injuries are more common in premature babies and with difficult labors. Examples are a broken clavicle, bruising, misaligned neck vertebrae, ear infections or a pinched nerve.

Is baby having problems with breathing while nursing or coordinating sucking and swallowing? A baby having trouble coordinating suck, swallow, and breathe reflexes may well have a problem with breastfeeding. Breathing or eating - which would you choose?

Is the teat too hard or the milk too hot/cold? Was the holding/feeding position uncomfortable for bb? Sometimes a baby will aggressively refuse the breast/bottle for no discernable reason - this baby will often resist being held, and may also be easily overstimulated.

Some babies resist having anything in their mouth, often due to a trauma such as being deeply suctioned. The invasion of their oral cavity may make them resistant to anything in their mouth. Additionally, many babies who were suctioned also have impaired respiration which can also affect breastfeeding.

Feeding difficulties can develop if air cannot enter the bottle e.g. if the nipple ring is screwed on too tight and your baby also maintains a seal over the holes of the nipple with her tongue. So do experiment with loosening and tightening of the nipple ring and see if this fixes the problem. You will know you have it right, when you can see a steady and continuous flow of bubbles entering the bottle as she drinks. If you can't see any bubbles, loosen the nipple ring just a little more.

If a child doesn't feed well, she won't sleep well. However, tiredness can be the cause fussy, unsettled feeding behavior or falling asleep before the feed is completed.

A baby may have increased or decreased sensation to light, sound or touch, or have balance issues that interfere with breastfeeding. An example of this is a baby who is very difficult to wake during the day, but prefers to be up at night when there is less sensory input.

Tongue tie is when the frenulum beneath the tongue is too short or tight to allow full range of tongue movement. If a baby doesn't get full movement of his tongue, he may well have a difficult time getting the milk he needs.

A baby with tongue tie may use the clamp-down technique, using his gums for the job of holding the breast that his tongue can't do. Other babies with a range of issues also use this technique.

Oral-Motor therapies and exercises: A Speech and Language Pathologist or Occupational Therapist specializing in feeding difficulties can help babies with problems such as inefficient sucking, not opening their mouths wide enough or oral aversion.

If your baby is refusing to nurse, please remember that your baby is having issues with the method of feeding, not with your mothering.

Wow, long list ... hope yr eyelids didnt close!
Chromosome test such as FISH will be able to detect genetic problems. Normally docs wont rush u to do any detailed tests/scanning if u hv no family history. They tend to drag till child is 1yr old.

hi cowandchick
now the teacher is 1:2 kids
min 2:6kids per class

forgot to add...
Valc - detailed tests (CT scan, FISH, blood, urine) were done at KKH. The paed just sign on the papers. U c a Neuro/genetist or refer to rehab dept (if necessary) once the results r out

u can also go to NUH instead of KKH

Wow, City, you sure know a lot about this. Hope it helps ValC.

Did you find all these out when you were dealing with Sym's condition? When was she diagnosed?

city
we are going to a cranial osteopath. hopefully he can assess her and check for any birth injuries. the screw ring - we've experimented with various tensions already. feeding positions also. teat - using avent with #2 teat. temperature of milk - is usually room temperature cos she feeds in her sleep so takes v long anyways. we feed her in dim light. she doesn't have tongue-tie. we've tried everything but it's jus getting worse lor. milk intake v low now.

which bottle and teat did you use for your child?

cowandchick - I'm not that clever just happened to know and happened to be able to dig above info from net. Sym was diagnosed 3wks b4 turning 1yr. A big joke right? birthday present so unforgetable!

I'm still learning how to take care of Sym from other overseas mums .... not expert yet.

VALC - I used tollyjoy bottle n teats. Also tried others such as Pigeon, Lucky baby. Never tried Avent. Avent fat and big teat right? Feel/bent the teat, shld be soft and not hard. The hole is determined by the bb. Normally 1 shoot is for 1 mouth feed. Try cutting from a small hole, do a shoot (the same way to test temp). If too much milk on palm means not suitable for 3mths (too big). Alternatively, u can squeeze the teat once for 1 mouth feed ie u control the flow. I still dont understand y sleeping time is easier to feed. u mean yr child <font color="ff0000">suck</font>?

AC - copied this fm net cos I only hv 1 close contact with an autistic in my girl's class (many in other classes but no direct contact/know them). Boy was sent to sch when around 3yrs but only last month then diagnosed as autistic (already 6yrs old). Understand autism can be masked/not easily detected.

Only seen teacher showed him his own picture to recognise, no flashcards. There r dif levels/types of autistic kids so I'm not sure flash card works not. The boy wont look at the pic, he'll look at the ceiling or elsewhere - no eye contact!

I have read many ways of calming a child such as dolphines, music therapy, tui na, drawing and even clay moulding. I suppose trial and error. Something suitable for 1 child may not suit another.

Autistic symptoms begin prior to the third birthday, and are most commonly noticed around the 30th month. It is not known what causes autism, but recent studies have shown that it is not linked to receiving the MMR vaccine. It is also known that it is not caused by bad parenting.

Among the problems that autistic children may have include difficulty interacting socially with others and developing normal social skills. This can cause difficulty developing age appropriate social relationships with family and peers, an inability to use nonverbal social interactions, such as returning a smile or making eye contact, they may become attached to unusual objects (such as a rubber band or a stick) and they may have no interest in sharing their interests, achievements, or things they enjoy with others. Other early symptoms can include not developing a social smile, being overly irritable and easily upset, not cuddling, being indifferent to parents, not playing social games (such as peek-a-boo), and using people as tools or as a means to an ends (getting something from the refrigerator, etc.). The degree to which they have difficulty socializing can vary greatly, and some children may not interact with others or form emotional attachments at all and may prefer to be alone all of the time, while other with mild symptoms are able to make eye contact and may be affectionate.

Children with autism can also have problems with communication. This can range from a speech delay or total lack of speech (and unlike children with an expressive speech delay, autistic children do not compensate by using more nonverbal communication, such as gesturing), difficulty maintaining or starting a conversation, or difficulty with play. Others have echolalia, and their only speech consists of repeating things they have heard.

Autistic children may also have certain repetitive or stereotyped activities or patterns of behavior, such as being abnormally preoccupied with certain interests, needing to strictly stick to certain rituals or routines, and other repetitive habits and self-stimulating behaviors, such as head banging, body rocking, etc.

There is no cure for autism and most therapies are aimed at improving symptoms. These treatments can include language, social skills and behavioral therapy. Medications are also sometimes used to help improve attention (especially if other ADHD symptoms are present), aggressive behaviors, and obsessive-compulsive symptoms.

<font color="0000ff">If you suspect that your child has autism, it is best to see a physician that specializes in treating autistic children, so that appropriate testing can be done. You may also need to see a child neurologist or child psychologist for further management. Autism is a type of Pervasive Developmental Disorder</font>

<font color="119911">for more info, google search with key words</font>. Hope I've provided some suitable help.

city
becos she refuses to feed when she's awake. she jus wun suck. so we have to wait until it's her nap time, then give her the bottle, she will suck a little, then go to sleep, the rest of the milk in the bottle we have to slowly tap tap tap for 1 hr to let her swallow. that's y choke lor. we also pick her up at abt 1am and 7am to feed her in her sleep cos the rest of the feeds she takes too little. she will suck during those feeds.

Autistism

There's an autistic resource centre (ARC) here in Singapore. Can get info from them, ac?

I know of some kids with ASD at the SSVH. All special schools in Singapore cater to kids with ASD. Their program is different from the other kids at the school, specially catered for ASD, and their teachers are also trained.

city
wat do you mean by behaving wierd? how come kkh did not find anything when you alerted them?

Girl till almost 1yr old still cant sit up. I c KKH every 2mth since birth cos girl got milk regurgitation problem. kept telling them my girl is different from my son but no doc bother take my words.

During my girl 1yr old assessement at polyclinic, I told the nurse/doc n they agreed my worries were right so referred me to KKH. I TOLD THEM I GO KKH EVERY 2MTHS BUT DOCs said some kids are just slow, told me not to worry!! Same attitude from my gynae. When polyclinic referred me over during pregnancy, I was worried (got the uneasy feeling) but KKH refused to run detailed tests cos they said I got no family history (they gave me this excuse after my girl was diagnosed). So when my girl diagnosed abnormal, KKH claimed they did whatever they could according to Spore rules and regulations. I'm just unlucky!!

The KKH doc actually based on polyclinic findings/letter to assess my girl. Thot they shld be more experienced den polyclinic??

Sometimes, I wonder how experience the docs in KKH r. All the good and experienced ones are out in the pte line either hv their own clinics or in pte hospital.
sad.gif

Girl till almost 1yr old still cant sit up. I c KKH every 2mth since birth cos girl got milk regurgitation problem. kept telling them my girl is different from my son but nobody doc take my words.

During my girl 1yr old assessement at polyclinic, I told the nurse/doc n they agreed my worries were right so referred me to KKH. I TOLD THEM I GO KKH EVERY 2MTHS BUT DOCs said some kids are just slow, told me not to worry!! Same attitude from my gynae. When polyclinic referred me over during pregnancy, I was worried (got the uneasy feeling) but KKH refused to run detailed tests cos they said I got no family history (they gave me this excuse after my girl was diagnosed). So when my girl diagnosed abnormal, KKH claimed they did whatever they could according to Spore rules and regulations. I'm just unlucky!!

The KKH doc actually based on polyclinic findings/letter to assess my girl. Thot they shld be more experienced den polyclinic??

Sometimes, I wonder how experience the docs in KKH r. All the good and experienced ones are out in the pte line either hv their own clinics or in pte hospital.
sad.gif

City

My sympathies with you and Sym. We all thot docs should be more experienced, but alas, no! This is so unfortunate. Very frustrating!
sad.gif

After diagnosis, did they refer you to any agency? Did they recommend Early Intervention for Sym? How did you get Sym enrolled in Special School?

city
that must have bn v frustrating. and when your suspicions were confirmed you must have bn fuming mad that they kept turning you away and telling you that you were jus overly anxious.

were there any other signs besides the feeding early on esp 0-6months that were particularly different abt sym?

how old is your son? must have bn tough to manage 1 toddler and a baby with special needs. i have a 2yr old son and i find it really tough cos most of my time is taken up feeding my daughter.

also how do you cope with getting your daughter to take enough milk? was she taking enough? my daughter barely takes 500mls a day. and how did she manage starting solids?

wld they do a test for me at this stage for this syndrome? she's 4mths now.

hi Cowandchick
Very frustrating indeed with KKH!

After diagnosis, KKH recommended OT and PT for Sym. Therapy was just once a month (all the way go KKH just for 30 to 45mins OT/PT ) while waiting to enrol into Special School. Kids like her had to attend special school or pte therapies - no hope going mainstream.

Hi Valc
When suspicions were confirmed, I was fuming mad, like so unjustified. I had tried to prevent such thing fm happening during pregnancy (base on my instinct) but was denied detailed tests.

Other signs besides the feeding (tongue thrusting), no eye contact, extremely cheerful, our night time is her day/play time, regugitated a lot (didnt drink the right amt of milk for her age grp + cant hold milk even though cereal added to thicken fm 3mths), cant sit up nor crawl fm 6mths.

Son is P4, 10yrs old. Was tough but 'lucky' during the early 2yrs, I was working so had a babysitter who helped to share attention/load. The initial wks after diagnosed were 'rainy days'. After decided to be SAHM, quite used to such life. At least I dont cry when trying to explain/talk about Sym.

Solid feeding is actually not a chore cos she swallows almost anything. She loves tasty food. She grew/gain weight normally thou her milk intake decreased greatly. I gave multi-vit as supplments cos afraid she's lack of calcium n DHA. She started cereal by pushing the cereal out of her mouth .... most 1st time bb on solid r like that cos dont know how to swallow.

I suppose u hv no family history + only 4mths old = may get my kind of excuse/experience fm KKH. Not sure about NUH.

Did u search for more info fm net? Was the injecting of milk into mouth workable? Hv u tried getting somebody else to feed? R u giving cereal to satisfy bb hunger?

<font color="0000ff">We all hope our children r healthy n normal. My luck was just too bad. Hope yours just false alarm. </font> No harm asking for genetic test if the doc willing to sign approval - peace of mind.

hi mummies,
want to ask, when did u know tt yr child is diagnosed with DS? After delivery? Or after baby is 1 month or 1 years old?

TIA

understand DS - Downs can be diagnosed during 3rd mth of pregnancy.

Thus some ppl abort foetus or already mentally prepared for a DS bb arrival.

city
did you mean that during pregnancy, there were signs that made you suspect something was not normal? my daughter has eye contact, she is also extremely cheerful, tho sometimes she cries, she sleeps well at night, doesnt regurgitate, can hold her head up well. was your girl able to hold head well?

how was your babysitter able to feed sym? i dun think anyone else will be able to feed my daughter. she has bottle aversion. she doesn't want to suck at all except when she's about to go to sleep. and she chokes frequently. it's v tiring feeding her cos she will struggle, push away midway(even in her sleep). my whole body aches after a feed. and i feed her 7times a day.

when did sym reject milk altogether? how long did it take him to eat solids well?

yes, i have no family history. i did search the net for more info, but it said that in the 1st yr it's hard to diagnose.

i tried using the nuk bottle to feed her but the flow of milk was too fast(i used medium hole - they only have 3 levels and level 1 is for water, level 2 is for milk). when the milk came she wld struggle and push away. i think she has difficulty coordinating or is not good at sucking and swallowing or something and that's y she chokes. so i dun think the pouring the milk into mouth will work. she will surely choke. with anybody who feeds her is the same - jus as difficult - my hb, my mum, my in-law. i try give her cereal when she doesn't finish her milk. but she keeps coming back out of her mouth. she still doesn't really know how to eat yet. doens't swallow. and chokes too.

sorry for the lengthy post. jus very worried.

Hi Valc
b4 I had Sym, had an abortion cos foetus no heartbeat thus was worried/paranoid so requested to be referred to KKH for detailed test. To KKH, it is normal for women to encounter a miscarriage or foetus w/o heartbeat but not to us!

My unusual signs during pregnancy ..... wasnt able to sleep well since the day I knew I was preg. Survived the whole day with a lousy 5hrs sleep cos kept waking up. (was dragging my body to work) Although tire but was never able to sleep deeply - nobody disturbing me except foetus who's active when I'm suppose to sleep. Day time, foetus hardly any activity/kicks.

When Sym born, she was active in the night.

Sym rejected FM around 1yr old - tried few brands. I bot 2 net-type rocker (need one at babysitter hse) so she lies there to be fed/drink milk/nap. No need carry. Rocker can adjust height n it's airy.
934256.jpg
Sym doesnt move/kick much so was on rocker till almost 2yr old - didnt topple/fall off.

Yes, it is normal for bb to push out solid cos dont know how to swallow. Try spoon feed at the sides - avoid the tongue.

city
me too!! i had a d&c due to no heartbeat b4 my daughter, ashley. my gynae said that usually this is due to chromosome problem. then 2mths later got pregnant again with ashley. but when successful pregnancy, the gynae will order all the blood tests to check for abnormalities right? and oscar scan and etc..

was tired during 1st trimester too but is normal right? and when pregnant ashley also v active at night like 2-3am. when ashley was born she was sleepy most of the time even nights. from 1mth she was sleeping through the night. but i always pick her up 2ce to feed in her sleep cos of her low intake and that she feeds better at night.

bouncer - we feed her there for cereal. but for milk we carry cos she struggles alot. turn her head left and right. yes, even in her sleep. she will push away. and it's hard to get the teat back in her mouth.

<font size="-2">ValC>but when successful pregnancy, the gynae will order all the blood tests to check for abnormalities right? and oscar scan and etc.. </font>
-<font color="0000ff">KKH refused give me detailed tests (eg FISH, choromosome/genetic test, not those general ones) cos I dont have family history .... end up in such an 'inevitable/sorrow' stage</font>

At least yr gynae still tell u chromosome prob, KKH said dont know y went wrong. Also didnt ask me whether to take the foetus for 'examination/lab test' (read on the net, we can request)

Day time, do u put Ashley tummy on mattress for play n free movement?

U only tired on 1st trimester, I was thru out till delivery - at least 8mths! End up I got sleeping prob so was on TCM (GP gave me sleeping pills aft delivery). Now better.

city
can i ask how was syn's head control wen 3-6mths?

tummy time - hardly. she doesn't really like it.

i'm trying to contact my gynae now to ask her abt the risks of this one since my previous pregnancy failed due to chromosome problem.

City and ValC
I also miscarried 2 pregnancies before my boy. Normally docs will not do test to check on foetus, but I requested for test on both, to make sure it was not abnormal pregnancies. They were normal, just that foetus did not survive.

I also had to wait at least 3 months before getting pregnant again after each miscarriage - this is to minimise 'complication'. My gynae did not elaborate on what he meant by 'complication' but did advice the 3-month wait. I guess one of the 'complications' could be a "problem" baby later.

But when I had my boy, my gynae did order all the tests to check on bb, tho these tests not 100% foolproof. Test results normal, so we were relieved.

My pregnancy wif my girl was smooth, no problems, her delivery also no major problem. didn't realise visual problem until nearly 5 years old!!! What a bad mummy hor!

cowandchick
i got pregnant again only 2 or 3mths after the failed pregnancy. does it put me at higher risk for any abnormalities?

ValC

That I don't know. Anyway, the bb is born, no point talking about 'ifs' and 'could it be..'

What you need now is get your kid properly diagnosed so that appropriate intervention can be done as soon as possible, and if needed!

Are you able to get your bb assessed?

Down Syndrome
Sometimes pre-natal tests can also miss Down foetus, and sometimes, tests also not accurate! But if the tests missed it, can be detected almost immediately when bb born.

cowandchick
i've seen my paed, a gastroenterologist, a lactation consultant, a speech therapist and even a cranial osteopath. they all said that ashley is normal. the gastro said she looks normal and have normal muscle tone. but need a neuro to confirm but he din think it necessary. the gastro is not in favour of doing any tests at all.

i told my gynae abt my problem n she said we shld ward ashley for observation. jus visits to the gastro will not be able to diagnose properly why her suck and swallow is like that.

<font size="-2">ValC> can i ask how was syn's head control wen 3-6mths?</font> head could turn left right. If lie down, unabe to lift head.

<font size="-2">tummy time - hardly. she doesn't really like it.</font> Let him lie on tummy to wiggle about. The feeling of hate to lie on tummy will 'force' Ashley to do something to his advantage like flip over, kick legs etc. Hopefully, he'll get hungry n wont be too difficult to feed - used alot energy.

Hi mummies...this thread suddenly become so active again...recently so lazy to post msg here...anyone miss me...heehee...last week my Jiaxing was down with HFMD (again)...don't understand where she got it...no one in the school or childcare got it and i didn't bring her out for the past few weeks cos my HB not in town...anyway she pass it to her sis also, so is quite a busy week...haiz...

Hi Beloved, DS can be diagnosed immediately after birth, cos they have some facial or body features that the PD can tell immediately they saw the bb...my HB was told that my gal was suspect to be a DS bb by the PD after she was born...he did not tell me until the next day, cos he was so sad and didn't know how to tell me...

Hi ValC, how is your gal? Mayb you can try to spoon feed the milk? When my gal was small her sucking was ok, but need to change a few hanki during feed, cos most of her milk flow out of her mouth and i was told to spoon feed her, cos down bb had weak muscle tone, including the tongue...and the swallowing movement helps to tone up the muscle...i bought the pigeon bottle with a spoon attached. Tried to spoon feed her once a day and the other times use normal teats bottle, cos really time consuming and messy...you can try...

Back