Anyone read to your baby ?

25qin

Hi Mummy out there,

Do you read to you baby daily? When is the best time to read a story book to the baby and lastly what type of books to u read to them?

I highly recommend you read to your baby daily. If your baby is old enough, you can also start on "Your baby can read" vcd series. I started reading to dd when she was 6mths old, now at 2.5yrs old, she can read. You can read anytime of the day to your child. Preferably start with simple short board books cos babies attention span is really short. You can try borrowing books from the library instead of buying them. The library has a wide variety of books that's worth checking it out.Also dont forget to read chinese books to your baby.

I started reading to my girl when she was only 3 months old. Once your baby can focus their eyes on something, you can read to her.

My first book for her is "Five little ducks". It has pictures of cute little ducks, simple, repetitive.

You just have to look for any baby board books, those where every page is card board, so that your baby doesn't tear it. Find a book with nice, cute, and very colourful pictures, and repetitive. Babies like colour, and repetition.

Don't worry that your baby does not uderstand, or try to grab the book. If she grabs, just let her grab it. If she wants to turn the page, then let her turn the page. Read to her every day, she will grow up loving books
happy.gif

tks.. Am just started reading to my baby. But reading all type of books.. So I will check out the library. I read from web that it better to read to the baby on a specify timing of the day. So wanted to understand more.

Can read newspaper to baby while I am reading?

Do u gals sing to your baby.. Now suddenly realise that i ve forgotton the lyrics for the nusery songs.. Any ideal where can get a book for that?

tamarind.... just wanna check with you ar.. i heard other mommies said that bb when they are 1st few months, their eyes only can capture objects that are white and black.. other colours they cant visualise yet... is it true?? if this is the case, then will it be better to get books and even toys that are more in black and white??

blue.. that time when i help to take care of my niece and nephew... i too forgot all the lyrics leh.. then end up only sing tune when i rock them to sleep... haha...CD shops have CD on nursery songs.. inside should have lyrics lo...

btw.. anyone know where can get mozart music?? meant to be a gift for my friend... but cant find and her bd is approaching...

blue,
You should read, talk, and sing to your baby as much as possible, it is very important for speech development.

howblur,
I have heard about that too, that new born babies can only see black and white, and you have to hold it very close to them.

But my babies both love their colourful baby books from around 3 months, so I think babies learn very fast. I believe that once a baby can focus their eye sight on something, you can show them anything. If you only show them black and white, then they will not learn about colours right ?

CDs and nursery songs

Don't know about you mummies, but I select my nursery songs CDs with great care. There are lots of them out there, but many are of very poor quality. The singing is terrible, the pronunciation is really bad!

Someone passed me a CD some years back, and I had to discard it when I heard the children singing "...five leeter duckings i once knew..."

Children pick up spoken language skills from songs too!

howblur
Why Mozart?

Hi howblur,

Yes it's true.. baby can only see black, white and red for the first 2-3 mths..

Hi Cowandchick,
among all the classicals, only mozart works for baby's brain development. listening to the rest like chopin and bethoveen is of no use. That's what i heard from a few friends i met during a seminar.

Hi Howblur,

U can get the mozart CD from Mothercare. But the selection is limited. Hope my reply is not too late..

I agree with tamarind. You should read, talk, sing and communicate as much as possible with your child.

For me, I don't restrict ourselves to just books. If we're at a supermarket and my 18-month-old shows an interest in a can of baked beans, I'll point to the picture on the can, describe it and read the label. In a taxi, she'll point at the taxi fare sticker on the window of the taxi and I'll read to her the information there.

And, for all reading moms and dads, do point to the words as you read so that the child will be able to associate reading with words and that it is done from left to right.

My 18-month-old may not necessarily become a PSC scholar as a result of an early exposure to the printed word but I hope I am helping her develop a love for reading, which is extremely important, I feel.

Hi,

I've been reading and singing to baby daily since he was born. Initially doesn't matter if he understands or not cos hearing mummy's voice can be a source of comfort to baby too.
happy.gif

Hi,

I've been reading and singing to baby daily since he was born. Initially doesn't matter if he understands or not cos hearing mummy's voice can be a source of comfort to baby too.
happy.gif

Hi...

My bb is 3 mths old now and I have been reading to her since she turned 2 mths old.

I am also singing to her nursery rhymes (but had to relearn from CDs). Recently got her a Vrtech Electronic Book which contained a handful of common nursery rhymes.Its very colorful with pictures and movable icons of those nursery rhyme characters like Humpty Dumpty, Twinkle Twinkle Little Star, etc and you can train the baby to touch and move those icons to develop their psychomotor skills.

My 3 mth old really loves it and recently starts to touch and move the icon when the respective nursey ryhme is being played. Its quite interesting to see her development.

hi mummies, i feel so guilty i dont start my child on reading earlier! now he is 2 and still can't sit still and read a book. whenever i try to put him on my lap to read to him, he would grap the book, flip the pages and run away after that. what should i do?

Hi Blue

Sorry for delay in reply. I got the book from a shop called Discovery Corner at Thomson Plaza. Unit number 01-17

hi winnie, i got the same problem as you.. my boy refused to sit still whenever i open up any books.. best thing is .. he tries to tear up the pages.. so i only look for cardboard pages book that he cannot tear up... i see mummies reading to thier kiddo at 3 months old... i nearly fall off my chair... so early. my boy is 20 month... but he still can't talk..let alone read... omg

hi howblur, i got a series of Baby's First Classics from Sembawang Music... There are 3 series.. can try that.. i played the music for pre-natal too.

Hi,
I have start reading to my 10mth ld boy, at first he ignore me, n play with his toy, but i continue to read it loud, with high tone, low tone, n that make him interested to know what i am doing. He crawl to me n filp the book n touch the fur (the touch n feel book-got diff texture), bite the book. He oso grab the book from me too. Im beri happy with his action, that shw that he is interested. When will he be ready n sit still n listening to me without snatching the book away from me?

winnie and foliage - start reading to your little ones. read with different intonations, while reading, involve them in the action words eg : if the book says "fly high", grab both of their hands and mimic flying. Grab their little fingers and point to the words as you read along. I think this helps develop their liking for books and words. Doesn't matter if they have short attention span. just manage however long you can grasp their attention. 2mins everyday of their attention will mean 20mins in 10days. Better than nothing.

my boy hymes along while i sing him to bed as young as at 2-3mths old. Once he hears me sing, he hymes along. at 7mths or so, whenever he is in the mood, he opens books and uses his index fingers to point to the words from left to right as I read along. He enjoys book flipping. Whenever he catch hold of 1, he flip and flip and flip. He had bite at many books, tore many and also destroy many pop ups. Personally i think it doesn't matter (try to minimise tearing though). So long it sets him learning. They gotta start somewhere
happy.gif

You should try to minimise TV exposure. TV shortens attention span. Selective DVDs is ok but nothing beats actual book reading.

Start now!

hi anyone knows where to get good picture board books for young infants below 1 yr old? thanks.

Hi! The library is a great source actually, especially since you can move on to slightly longer stories and move away from board books once your kids are used to read-alouds.

If you're really keen to buy, you can try The Home Library -- the owner homeschools her kids, loves books, and is extremely friendly and helpful:
http://www.thehomelibraryonline.com/?page=shop/browse&category_id=1091&CLSN_2260=12425312302260e77fa2ff3eed6c92c3

If you're looking for recommendations, you can try this list of top 100 books:
http://www.juniormagazine.co.uk/news/article.asp?UAN=60

I blog about good books for tots too, at:
http://bottomsup.wordpress.com/category/good-reads-preschoolers/

hi all, I'm a 1st time mummy.. currently 4.5mths.. can anyone share their ways for Tai Jiao? if read, do we read aloud and what type of books to read? if listen to music/ songs, what type of songs? thanks..

Back