Any mummies feed their baby on expressed breast milk only?

cin

Any mummies here are on total breast feeding through EBM for their babies? Can share some comments? I heard than through pumping only, milk supply will reduce over time? how soon will this happen? and what can we do to maintain/increase supply? I prefer to feed EBM because at least this way i know how much baby is drinking. cause she normally falls asleep after feeding on one breast.

Hi Mummytobe,

My baby was on EBM from about 2-3 weeks old. I pumped every 3-4 hrs, and stayed up late at night to pump too. My ss was decent until I fell ill with the flu when my baby was about 5 mths old. When I was ill, I didn't pump religiously and the ss dropped. After I recovered, I was bogged down with work, so spent less time pumping as well. I bought a tin of FM and started giving her FM for some of her feeds. When she was 6+ mths, I stopped pumping altogether. By then, she had started on solids and was already used to FM.

I recommend that you invest in a good pump. It'll stimulate milk production. I used the Medela PIS and was very happy with it.

HI YYP,

Oh that's good news! so as long as i express regularly, i should be able to maintain the BM supply?

I'm using the Ameda Dual Lactaline, which like the Medela PIS, is a electric dual pump. Can i check with you something...

i dunno how to use both pumps at the same time. Cause have to hold both pumps, where got hand to switch on and off the machine? also, i tend to adjust the pump around various parts of the breast to get milk out from the different milk ducts; very hard to do so when juggling with two pumps at the same time. how did you use both pumps lei? any advice?

hi mummy-to-be

so good to hear about other mummies who also spent a good part of their lives pumping away.
A good double pump will indeed keep up your supply. i am using the Medela PIS and it is such a life saver...in terms of time and energy.

To hold both pumps up, i sit on my sofa, cross my legs and balance the bottles on my thighs. Once the suction kicks in, i can read a magazine, watch TV or surf the net at the same time.
But because i usually want to get over with the pumping as soon as possible, I will hand express at the same time when i am pumping to speed things up
happy.gif

When i first started pumping when my baby was born, i pumped 7 to 8 times a day to keep up the supply. Then i slowly decreased by an estimate of one pump a month. It's been working great!

Hope this helps!
Good luck to you!

Hi,

I also feed my baby on expressed breastmilk only.. Only latch on abt 2 weeks after delivery but bcoz of sore nipples, I start pumping after that.

My son is already 3 mths plus & I'm pumping at abt 6hrs interval (5am, 12pm, 5.30pm, 11pm).

Hi alittlemiracle,
Ya, i also hand express or massage at the same time when pumping, to encourage more/faster flow. Hence, at a loss of how to use both pumps leh..you mean, you hand express and pump using both pumps at the same time?

Hi Irene,
Ya i started pumping more than BF initially was also because of sore nipples. cause i got quite flat nipples, quite difficult for baby to latch on.

btw mummies,
Do you get engorgement when you pump at 6hrs interval? if i don't pump for more than 4 hours, i will get engorgement.. i even had early mastitis once because i went on for more than 5 hours without expressing..sigh

hi mummytobe,

yup. Even now I do get slight engorgement when I pump at 6hrs... initially was quite bad but now quite used to it already. Got to wear breastpads whenever gng out..

hi mummytobe,

yups, i let both pumps run at the same time, then I will alternate between the 2 breasts to massage so that the milk will flow faster. it will take some getting use to. Another mummy friend asked me about this too and after i shared with her, she is pumping well too.

engorgements are part and parcel when your breasts are still adjusting to the revision of pumping intervals. i used to get very bad engorgements, sometimes so bad that the milk flow is restricted because of clogged ducts. Then pumping becomes so difficult...will have very little milk. i always thought that was the beginning of end of milk supply. But i always perserve and continue massaging and pumping. Most of the time hand expressing to remove the clogged duct because the pump can't do that for you.

Well, so far so good, my baby 8 months on total EBM...of course not she also on solids so she has cut down by quite a bit liao.

agree with the irene that breastpads are a must! i must have gone through thousands of them!

Hi alittlemiracle,

Wow! you manage to 'tahan' 8 months of BF and expressing! i hope i manage to tahan at least 3 months man... its the waking up at night around 3-4am to express that is a real pain... how often do you express your BM now? how much per express..is it enough to meet baby's demand? or did you express a lot last time and store in the freezer?

I finally tried using both pumps of the Ameda Lactaline at the same time. Following your method, I placed a pillow on my lap, and held one bottle in each hand. basically when i needed to switch the machine off or not, to adjust the bottles etc, i balanced them on the pillow (while machine still pumping) to free one hand hehe.

wah! dual pumping (expressing both breasts at the same time) really can pump more milk leh! Previously, one pumping session (using just one pump, but alternate between both breasts) i usually get about 100-130ml. The most i ever hit is 155ml. This afternoon, by pumping both sides together, i hit about 220ml! 100ml on one side and 120ml on the other side. Saves so much time!! but i must 'practice' more and get used to this method of pumping..i kept accidentally spilling some of the milk whenever i try to balance the bottles on the pillow. ended up wasting and making a mess, if not will have even more milk kekeke

my sister says i remind her of a cow haha but no choice lah, what to do..baby drinking so fast! my baby girl feeds every 3 hourly, and now at 2 weeks old, she's drinking about 3.5oz or 100ml each feed. I need to pump faster than she feeds... cause when she grows older, will need more milk!

Hi irene,
but the pain is really very painful leh..i cannot tahan ah..if you pump every six hours, how much can you express out? enough to feed your baby? or did you express a lot previously and store in the freezer? how much does your baby drink at 3 months plus? does your BM increase accordingly, or must eat some stuff like papaya fish soup etc to boost milk supply to meet increasing demand? hehe sounds like econs tutorial
happy.gif

Btw mummies,

Re: disposable breast pads
So far i've tried Pigeon and avent disposable breast pads. Is there any other brand out there which you have tried and would recommend? i find that avent's breast pads are too small and only have one piece of adhesive... pigeon's breast pads are bigger. But as for absorbency, i haven't really had the chance to test either, cause usually when my breasts start leaking, i start expressing liao..(me still doing confinement, so haven't really gone out for long hours yet). Which brand would you recommend for comfort and absorbency? thks.

mummytobe,
i know exactly what you mean man... when i first started pumping - 8 times a day and waking up at 3 am - i thought i would give up in 2 months! i kept complaining to all my friends that my whole life revolved around pumping, feeding and diapering the baby! That effectively took up ALL my time. i was truly miserable But, it did get better ;)

I had lots of milk in the early days so i kept it all in the freezer. firstly in bottles, then it took up too much space and so i started keeping them in milk bags...currently, i have about 60 bags of 100ml in the freezer. It was difficult to ascertain how much more baby would drink, so i just keep emptying my breast all the time... there came a time when i had way too much milk collecting in the freezer so i slowly cut down on the amount i expressed each time. but for a start, more is better than less. At one time, my baby was drinking 1 litre a day! oh, i should add that my baby refused to latch which was why i had to give total EBM although i consulted 3 lactation consultants.

as i asid i cut down on the average of one pump per month so now, i am managing 2 pumps a day!!!! Each time i cut down, i will nevertheless pump out the same volume as before. Might mean longer duration per session. I will sit there until i get the amount i need per session. It has worked great for me. now, i pump what baby needs which is about 650ml per day.

i used 2 brands of breastpads. Mothercare and Pigeon. In the early days, i found pigeon to be good because they are absorbant and large. Initially, i liked the adhesive but later found them to be so troublesome. the Mothercare ones are economical but they are a little scratchy and needs getting used to. I use them now for the just in case leaks. They have no adhesive and when i need to express, they are easy to remove.

anyhow, hang in there with the pumping...i thought i could not do it for so long too!

Hi alittlemiracle,

Wow! how did you manage to accumalte 60 bags? my baby is drinking almost as fast as i pump leh..i only manage to accumulate so far a few bottles of 100ml in in the fridge. any advice on how to more efficiently pump EBM?

So you pump twice a day only? your breasts don't hurt?

hello mummytobe,

your baby is only 2 weeks old so you it;s still early days for you... your supply will increase as long as you continue to pump REGULARLY and EMPTY your breast each time. You will already have excess in 2 weeks which is good liao. My freezer stores almost nothing but milk and baby food now...so prepared!

Make a note of how much your baby drinks every day and determine how much more you wish to pump for storage. what i do is every day i use 1 bag from the freezer and i store whatever excess. I give my baby freshly expressed (pumped within 12 hours) whenever possible coz your body makes the "right' type of milk for baby.

Hee hee...now my breasts are used to it so they dun hurt anymore. No more engorgements too
happy.gif
finally.

Hi mummies,

I feed my 9 mos baby with EBM too. No latch on from the very start.

* alittlemiracle, let's cheers heehee
kao_cheers.gif

My experience is same with alittlemiracle just that she had them in bags and i have them in bottles. (whole freezer...) alittlemiracle, my freezer all bottles of EBM till my hb also a bit of "face black black"
uhoh.gif
but he dare not say anything, juz noe he buy less frozen food to store liao. haha, guess we both understand the process of "ku" & "le" ya...

i hv 1 single pump and then borrowed my friend's Single pump and same as u, I just put both on my leg to let the machine do the work. However i can't balance it at time...

Anyway now my EBM left with 5 or 6 bottles, no longer can catch up wif my baby... Now i pump 3 times a day and weekends 2 times. alittlemiracle, you hv 650ml per day? I cannot catch up wif my baby, i can pump at most 500ml from both breasts per 24hours, maybe i should learn from you haha. My mum now supplement wif formula and solid food.

Hi bitbit,

hee hee...my hb and i are very careful when we go to the supermarket...cannot buy too much ice-cream, waffles, etc... lucky thing we got a pretty large fridge otherwise sure mati!

Actually, me not pumping enough for baby on some days too coz she sometimes wake up at night for milk...so my reserve is also slowly depleting. Intending ot give formula once my reserves are zero...dun want to increase pumping! very sian liao... always think i can last until today..is already very good!

bitbit, how much does your baby drink these days? is she taking 2 or 3 solids ah? my baby now taking 2 solids, want to increase to 3 solids by the time she is 9 months i think. Can your baby crawl/walk/babble? must be so fun!

mummmytobe,

how are you coping with the expressing so far?

Hi alittlemiracle,

I gave up trying to juggle both pumps liao..keep accidentally spilling..not only waste my precious milk, spill on the bedsheet and my body, making a big mess and sticky sticky one. So now i use one pump only..manage to increase my BM supply to about 160-220ml per express session by pumping until breasts almost 'dry' hehe .. i try to 'drain' as much as i can cause i had previous slight case of mastitis, and gynae said i never fully empty breasts, engorgement keeps happening. but it takes me about 1 hr from setting up everything to finish pumping (prepare pump, hot towels, then massage breasts then pump). Its much slower to use one pump only, but no choice lah, me not adept at using both pumps together sigh..Now i express every 3-4 hours when possible. that's only six times a day.

Hi

i would like to check if u pump out the milk instead of letting the bb latch on, will the womb still contract much? i always heard others say if no direct latch ,the supply will fall but seems like not the case after hearing from all of u.

mummytobe,

maybe you will get the hang of it later with experience.
You will soon have a lot of milk from the looks of your supply! More is better than less since you dun really know how much your baby will drink. That is the problem with expressing. Your body will take a longer time to adjust to the demand-supply balance.
I think when i was about 2 to 3 weeks postpartum, I was expressing about 240ml each time (especially in the morning. That was when the lactation consultant suggested i slow down a bit beacuse my entire freezer was jam packed! So i slowly cut down by 10ml per breast per day. Eventually, i was pumping out what my baby needed plus 100 or 200 more per day.

important is to also pump or hand express the clogged ducts when you have them...even if no milk seem to be coming out... otherwise the milk supply might vanish if you stop.

inc,
my baby never latched on...she was too impatient wiht me. The womb contraction was not a problem for me. When i went back for postpartum check, gynae said all was ok.
The baby is most efficient at removing the milk from the breast and when the milk is removed, your body will make more milk. so pump regualrly and empty your breast.
I had no problems with supply with no latching.

Hi Inc,
When you say womb, do you mean uterus? should be ok leh..now am in my 3rd week post partum and my stomach is almost back to pre preg size..think cause immediately after birth, gynae helped me to massage and get rid of some of the blood clots. and just last week, i had a malay masseuse come and massage me for 5 days in a row
happy.gif

Hi alittlemiracle,

my girl girl is drinking almost as fast as i can express leh..how did you manage to stock up in the freezer? the most i have extra is a few bottles in the fridge compartment. Cause i express about 160-220ml every 3-4 hours, and my baby girl drinks about 110-120ml every 3 hours now..and she's in her 3rd week. Can't imagine when she crosses full month!

mummytobe,

hee hee, my baby girl also drink like a milk monster... I think she peaked at about the 1st going on to 2nd month... drinking almost 1 litre a day. Then after that, she managed about 800ml a day until i gave her solids at 6 months... In those 6 months, she somedays drink more, some less.

in the next few weeks, if you keep emptying your breast, i'm sure you will have excess... already you have excess now right? it will slowly build up!

hi hi I'm new to this thread. Me too me too! I gave my gal EBM almost from the start. Wanted to latch on but somehow in the hospital very 'zai" go home only cannot make it liao.. but i had blocked ducts after I discharge.. dunno how to clear & my gal not very patient trying to suck from a congested breast.

like mummytobe I'm also using Ameda pump. I use both pumps at one go. Wat I do is that I massage my breasts first.. then I place the left pump on, cross my left arm over to my right side.. using the forearm to wedge the pump. Then I use my left hand to hold the pump for my right breast. Dunno if that's vivid enuff description.

So now my right hand is entirely free so I can use that hand to squeeze my breasts (to quicken the expressing process) and/or to turn on/off lor :p

As for supply, I express 4 times daily (6hrly), each time I express ard 10-15 mins. I normally can express ard 1 litre or slighly more per day. Since 6-7 wks till now (my gal will turn 20wks in 2 days time) my supply has been constant. But I did try latching my gal.. the letdown is much slower compared to expressing. Thus my gal super impatient.. so now totally no latch on liao.

Hi sgmom,
your description vivid enough,i can picture it heh but won't your left arm be tired? i also need to use one hand to massage the lumps/squeeze the breast, that's why only got one hand free to hold pump. I shall try your method one of these days hehe thanks! btw, is your Ameda pump still in good condition? i heard that the motor will get louder and louder as it ages.

Re: poo and pee
Can i just check, for babies on EBM, how often do did your baby poo poo and pee pee and what colour is it, when they were solely on EBM? my girl girl can poo poo as much as 8-10 times a day (each time a bit) or 3-4 times a day (a lot of poo at one time) and its a mustardy yellow with a consistency like mustard...

hi hi, i tried to latch my baby on but he gets very frustrated as the flow is slower. so each time i'll try to have my baby latch on and follow by bottle feed coz it will at least give me an idea on how much is the intake. but i'll would still need to express out to clear all the milk... is there really a need to clear all my milk? thanks to advise....

Pheobe: I think maybe u try to latch ur BB longer to clear better? It's better to clear coz emptying the breast helps boost milk supply.

mummytobe: depending on ur BB's age la. Mine is 4ms+ liao. She normally poop at most 3 times a day. Normally 1 big one.. the rest smaller ones may or may not have. Colour is mustard colour. Altho sometimes she does poop more greenish in colour but not often. As for her pee.. quite clear one.

Hi mummies,

Can i check something with you? When you were expressing BM for your baby every 3-4 hours, how did you manage to go out? Did you have to limit your trips outside for less than 4 hours, or did you just let your breasts become engorged or bring along a manual pump?

Nowadays, every 2.30-3 hours i must express liao..how to go out like that??

Hi Alittlemiracle,
How did you manage to slowly reduce your expressing sessions and stretch the tme between expressions? won't you get engorgement and clogged ducts? i had slight Mastitis twice already, because i went for about 6-7 hours without expressing (cause i slept through the night hehe). had fever and slight breast infection as a result due to engorgement and plugged ducts.

Tks mummy to be.. wow how i envy u..
mine should be c section so i tink i cannot do malay massage so soon

harlow mummytobe,

in the first 2 months, my outings were limited to 3 to 4 hour trips...very sian and jialat...very low morale every time have to go home and pump but what to do!!!! Have to go out immediately after pumping. My whole life revolved around my pumping schedule. I felt so restrained!

I usually decide on cuttng down when i notice my breasts have gotten used to the routine. So, let's say, in month 2, i pumped 6 times a day, 900ml altogether, 150ml per session. In month 3 and half, i decided to pump one less. So, I would pump 5 times, 180 per session, total of 900ml. Thus, I up the volume each time, but down the number of sessions per day.
The first few days, I will feel uncomfortable nearer the pumping time, but after that, the breasts would have adjusted. I always got painful clogged ducts, but i still expressed no matter what according to the timing i needed to stick by. in 24 hours, the clogged duct would clear out. If it was particularly bad, i would hand express teh clogged duct in between pumping too, so that when i used the electric pump, it will help to move the milk.

it's a matter of intuition. You will know when you can cut down. Your body will feel comforable enough and then you will start thinking "How nice to express one time less!" When you finally pump one less, you will feel so liberated! like suddenly have more time to do other things

Hi phoebe,
your baby still cry for milk after you BF? Is that why you give baby bottle? Do your breasts feel uncomfortable after Bf?

alittlemiracle,

Here i am again!

I think we both really doing the same thing! Must shake hand again, hahaha...

Come let's cheers again!
kao_cheers.gif

Besides using the electric pump, me also using hand. If by hand, I can express from right breast better, u?

I also have the same problem as to feeling restrain going out when I have to pump every 3-4 hours those days! Yes, now I also same as you, 3 times aday and sometimes even 2 times a day. Body can adjust and chances of engogement is almost coming to Zero (but sometimes abit engorge also).

i had slight infection twice. It's apart just by few days, i had fever and infection and was given 2 days MC on the 2nd trip to my GP. (The first time happen on a Friday which I rest on Sat & Sun). Maybe because that time I am beginning to cut down my supply by missing one pump time, in the end got this fever & infection thing..

Hi bitbit,

I also had breast infection twice liao.Both times had fever up to 39.6degrees, with chills and cough. Really frustrated, cause when i sick, i also don't dare to go near baby. and i have to wake up every 3 hours to express, how to rest and get better? its a vicious cycle...sigh..first time was because i'm supposed to pump every 3-4 hours to prevent engorgement, but twice i slept through the night so went on for about 6 hours without pumping. kenna engorgement and infection. Second time, dunno why suddenly, pump 3-4 hours not enough, must pump about 2.5 hours. then kenna infection again when i only pump every 4 hours.

Now i am so tempted to stop breast feeding/expressing already, by stopping milk supply. My mum and MIL have been nagging at me to stop cause they see me so xin ku, keep falling sick. sigh...

dear mummies
so happy to find this thread. me also expressing my BM for my 2 week old gal. started expressing from day 5 due to sore nipple

Bit bit, tks for your reply on my electric pump.

mummies, i have some question, besides eating fish, any other way to increase milk supply? i dun know why, i feel that my BM supply is very inconsistent leh...sometimes i can pump 170, sometimes only 140 or even 110ml only. I very scared i can't BF my gal til even her full month. sob sob sob.

And so far the most i pump out per breast is only 80ml....my right breast is more active in producing BM, my left breast the most can only produce 60ml....sigh

the other question i have in mind is, when u gals pump out milk from both sides liao, do you still return to the first breast to pump again?

really appreciate all the advise ya! me really getting desperate over breastfeeding...sigh

Hi mummytobe,

I think you didn;t express it at according to time schedule that's why infection. if you stop expressing during breast infection, you will get the infection back, so have to be more hardworking to massage the breast (especially at the infected area), ya very painful but still have to press it out no matter what! The antibiotic is also effective to cure the infection, so take it. For me I express out the milk before I take the antibiotic.

Dun give up so easily due to your mum or MIL's nag. They jealous you spend more time with baby is it? maybe can tell them rather xin ku now so that they will be strong and healthy in the future (meaning fall sick lesser) than to give up Bfg or EBM and affect baby health in the long run. Guess it's just the first year more xin ku, gradually you will get use to it liao.

Me too, everyday 3 times, i used to my schedule liao. Sometimes if i dun feel like expressing, then I skip one time and pump later, my breast wun give me trouble as it can adapt to the on and off schedule already.
kao_laugh.gif

Hi Bortei,
Yup, i do switch pumping. Pump first breast until full feeling gone, then switch to left breast, then when full feeling gone, switch to right breast again. I do so until no milk coming out from either side. sometimes can take me up to an hour! ya, my right breast also give more milk...

Hi Bitbit,
Ya, i continue expressing during infection, fever etc. everytime i express, i always apply hot compress, massage etc. routine leh... but these few days dunno why, think my breasts going wacko haha now every 1.5-2hours must pump liao, if not will keep dripping..so sian..i smell of BM all the time, and sticky one, and i have to keep changing breast pads. Most of the time i don't wear bra cause uncomfortable, so i stuff tissue paper in my shirt...

I very pei fu that your breast can adapt to on off schedule..my breasts rebelling against me sigh

hi alittlemiracle,

baby seems not to get enuf from me and will cry after feeding but yet he refused to let me latch him on again. now it's even worse after he was hospitalised for 4 days and got too used to bottle feed. he totally refused to latch on.. i'm really lost.
i'm also having a few lumps near to the armpit area and it hurts. I try to massage it according to what the lactation consultant taught but the lump does not go away and its a bit swollen after i massage it.. any advise on this?? thanks

Phoebe Lok,
Take a hot shower or use hot compress on the block duct. after that continuously massage.. if bb doesnt latch on, express and express to clear the duct. thats wat i usu do. hope it helps!

muz be so painful for you now.. i get blocked ducts on and off too. dun despair, it will eventually clear.
happy.gif

Hi Phoebe,
I had lumps at my armpit area when i was still in the hospital after delivery. Its because of engorgment..must massage. Use hot compress (very hot!) for a few minutes then massage and stroke down towards your breast direction. Must massage in a circular fashion and then stroke down (like trying to push it down towards the breast).

sorry to interrupt.. but may I know what's a hot compress and where I can get one? I use hot towels but it seems to cool down so fast. I also have blocked ducts. Went to lactation consultant to clear it but it came back again.. so frustrating.

tuffy
I know Gerber got such stuff, I saw it at John Little. It is known as 'Breast Therapy' - can be used as both warm or cool relief packs.

mummytobe
I used to feed my boy EBM since he's one week old due to sore nipples, and had been on EBM since till 10mths before I switch him to FM completely.

hi bit bit
looks like we are both coping well after those long months of pumping.....finally getiing the breasts to become used to expressing twice only is amazing! Although, now i hope to cut down to ONCE!!! hahaha, but i think cannot liao, twice i think is the minimum...otherwise i ahve to pump 650ml at one go...i think not possible
happy.gif

mummytobe,
if you are able, you should try not to give up...i also wanted to give up after a couple of weeks...i was so depressed over the whole thing....baby, pumping, cleaning, etc, etc, got so many things ot learn then still have to spend so much time pumping away....but it does get better.
However, if you feel like you really cannot cope, dun be guilty about giving your baby FM. I told myself that i'm sure my baby would prefer to have a happy mummy plus Fm rather than an unhappy mummy plus BM. My unhappiness was rubbed onto my girl and i think that was unhealthy too...

Hi phoebe,
the only thing i did when i had engorgement, painful lumps. etc was to MASSAGE. I massage in circles before and during expressing. Keep massaging the area. Usually when i have a clogged duct, the whole area becomes hard and very uncomfortable, i will massage the entire area and also push/stroke the lump in the direction of the nipple. much like trying to push the clogged duct out of the nipple. But massaging alone will not help...must express the milk out too lah... Usually, when clogged ducts happen, my milk supply will also fall..little milk will come out the clogged breast. After the massage, and continue to express, usually clears within 24 to 36 hours.
The hot showers and hot compresses did not do much for me.

thanks jastan!

hi alittlemiracle,
do you get clogged duct often? mine seems to be recurring and I have been latching on and pumping (if I din latch on).. wonder if this is a permanent thing that I have to endure...

Hi Ladies

Need ur help...My baby is currently 1.5 mths coming to 2 mths old....she dun latch on and hence she on feed on EBM...I was like pumping 5 times a day with an interval of abt 4 hrs...I dun wake up in the middle of the nite to express....My MS did increase over the weeks but now I have a problem....I am starting work in 3 weeks time and I am afraid that when I start to work I might not be able to pump as often as my workplace dun really have a place for me to pump and also the timing wise.....anyone can advise me how to reduce the no. of pumping session but still mantain the same vol of EBM???

Thanks in advance

Hi all mummies, so glad to find this thread. I'm also solely expressing for my bb who is coming to 4 mths. The biggest problem is with blocked ducts which i get v often. I find cold compress and using syringe to 'suck' at the blocked duct work better for me than hot towels.

I'm expressing 4 times a day and my supply seems to be dwindling recently, very sian.

Hi Love,

I'm also pumping 4 times a day since I start work. My schedule is :- 5am (before gng to work), 12pm (during lunch time), 5.45pm (pump in the office after work) & last pump is 11pm just before I go to bed. My volume now is btw 280-450ml (9.5 - 15oz)each session so 1 day can pump at least a total volume of 1200 ml. So far still don;t need to use my frozer EBM which I managed to stock up during my 3 mths maternity leave.

For me, I did stock up quite alot during my 3 mths maternity leave. Think my stock can last my son at least another 1mth plus if start pumping.

Hi westbb,

I do hv blocked ducts if I delay my pumping session for more than 2 hrs (usual is 6hrs interval) ... then I'll use the method stated abv by the others... use hot towel to massage & press hard on the area & push forward to the breast.

Try to drink more water & soups. Eat more fish as well. Think it really helps too.

hi everyone,
it's so good to see so many mummies giving EBM to their babes! Whenever i tell people i give EBM and dun BF directly, people always look at me as if i were crazy and wondered how could put up with all that trouble.

Tuffy, i dun get clogged ducts anymore...Finally... coz now my breasts are already accustomed to my schedule. It is not a permenant thing...will get better once your breasts get used to your schedule

hi love, hwah...you not taking the 3 months at one go issit? You can decrease the number of pumping sessions as mentioned earlier in this thread. reduce sessions but dun reduce volume. i dun think you can reduce too dramatically because...maybe 3 times......but that still means you need to pump at least once in the office... if you dun keep up with the pumping, your supply might go... but having said that, breasts are very adaptable so try to cut down and see if your supply is affected. if affected them up your pumping again lor.

mummies,

for those for you with super clogged ducts, the lactation consultant also suggests enlisting your husband to help
happy.gif

Hi Irene, wow your supply v good, i can only max 260+ml per session. I tried to drink more water and have soups everyday, fish also a few times per week... but also like that, that's why v sian lor. my friend said this is expected one cos there is no direct latching so the stimulation is not there *sob*

what kind of pumps do you mummies use here? I've been comtemplating to get an electric dual pump to help supply. i used to express 5-6 times per day, then find it really too tiring, so reduce to 4 times per day. maybe because i'm using a manual pump?? My concern is that electric pump is not as efficient as manual pump in emptying breasts, especially when there is blocked ducts... pumping mummies any advice?

alittlemiracle, there was once my blocked duct was really big and painful and cannot be cleared after many sessions, i got my hubby to "help" and it cleared v quickly!! but so far only help once lah, cos quite paiseh leh :p

hi westbb,
A good dual electric pump like the Medela Pump in Style will actually help boost your supply because dual pumping is much better than single pumping. It is true to some extent that then when you have clogged ducts, electric pump not so good, but the massaging will help and you can also hand express. The electric pump is my life saver...save time and energy...can't live without it.

i know what you mean you hb's help man... makes all the difference. I also only get help when i bo pian.

hi all, thanks a lot for the advise.. i've been following the advise given and massaging the lump with regular pumping but yet the lump is still around after 3 days. guess would have to monitor and worse come to worse will have to see doctor loh...
i notice that my volume is decreasing these 2 days. used to pump 250ml each time, now i can't even get 200ml and sometimes i only manage to get 100ml only. i'm starting to worried that my supply will keep on decreasing...

hi westbb,
wat do you mean by getting hubby to help leh? mind sharing.. hehe

hi phobe,
it means get your hb to "latch". It usually works wonders but may also take some time to rid the clogged duct. But effective because a latch is always the best way to clear it up!

Back