Any mothers using slow cooker to cook baby's porridge?

HI there

any idea how long wd we be using slow cookers to cook porridge for our little ones? I mean until they are 1 yo or even older?

Hi,
actually it dpens on yourself... if you like hassle free, just-dump-all-ingredients-into-cooker, you can continue to do so all the way (i.e. if you child dun cmp he is sick of it)... As they grow older, you no need to cook until everythg is all mashed up, n u can cut in bigger chunks.

otherwise, you can always cook using the normal way, on the stove.

Thx for the info Sunflower. I hv not started on the porridge yet coz hv not bot the slow cooker yet.

Seems like cooking porridge is a lot of work huh? Must grind ikan bilis to make stork, soak rice grains b4 cooking rice then porridge, chop veg & blend veg & cooked poridge in blender. Then into slow cooker for 2 hours. Is the process correct? Btw, can I use the normal juice blender, I hv a brand new one. Also heard tt the Braun handheld one is v gd for making bb food cos gd for small amount of food.

Yippee Yaya,
in fact u dun hv to go thru so much hassle to cook porridge. My porridge is usually done within 1/2 hr. Cook rice, chicken, veggie (potato or carrot) at one go. When rice is good, simply blend them. If BB is less than 1 yr old, blend till puree, otherwise, lightly blend and presto, proceed to feed BB. No hassle no problem. U can also boil egg separately and add into porridge later.

rite now my girl's porridge is still sieved into puree form. she is 7 months old. how many months then can give semi solid food. she don't have any teeth yet

Mine bought the cheaper brand iona and still works well.
in fact i do not use really much cos once my bb reach about 8-9 mths. For veg i just cut into small pisces and for carrot i just grate it.Rice i do not blend it either.

i put everything into my slow cooker (e.g veg + rice + ikan bilis + mince meat) and let it boil for abt 3hrs plus.

if want to cook porridge fast, soak the rice in water abt 1/2hr & put the soaked rice & some water to blend it. for younger bb blend longer till all crushed for bb like 8-9mths just awhile still can see some grains. with that need only cook 45mins-1hr w high heat. my mum usually cook the broth using fish or pork bones sieve out all residue & put together w blended rice in slow cooker (1tbsp rice with 1bowl of broth). all veg & fish are steam separately & mash & add to porridge when abt to eat. so the nutrients will be intact.

Hey all,

I am using the Toyomi 1.2l slow cooker. Will put in rice/wolberry/dried scallop/spinach/carrot (cubed)/fish in and heat the claypot on the stove 1st. After that, will place the pot in the slow cooker and put to high. After 3 hrs, everything is in purree state. Will put to auto after that to keep his dinner portion warm.

Hey All.

So far I have been adding the vegetable into the slow cooker to cook together. I am thinking of introducing more things so mayb I should blend 1st then put in. So can I keep the blended vegetable in the fridge for how long? Will the nutrient be lost? A lot of my friend told me if put the vegetable in slow cooker it will also lost its nutrients..How true? THank you! Advice please...

Hi
I am also using the Toyomi 1.2l Slow cooker. I find it really good. This size is just nice cos i cook 2 meals of porridge for my baby. If buy too small, next time when baby is older, his/her consumption will be more hence may not be big enough. This Toyomi one has Auto, high and off function, and can be placed on the stove to cook. Good, cos porridge will be cooked so much faster if u cook on the stove, say, 20 mins on high fire.

Actually why need to blend porridge? It will be so soft and fine after about 2 hours.

Ya.. y need blender?

The porridge i made for her's so soft n fine tat's easy for my gal to consume. = )

Unless the slow cooker is set to Auto n u've not cooked more than 2h?

normally I set high for 2h n then set to Auto, the porridge will be soft n fine.. not a prob for my gal. = )

Hello mummies,

I have 7 months old baby. He started on solid since 6 mth old.

I'm confused whether I better use the toyomi double boiler or slow cooker to cook baby's porridge.

Any mummies care to share with me what the difference between them?

Tks a lot in advance

Hi mummies,

Decided to get slow cooker as it has more benefits and is most economical for me. Low in watts. Affordable in price. Hee...

Tks for sharing
happy.gif

Hi mummies,

Some of my friends complained that their porridge dried up in the slow cooker. I thought this should not happen cos slow cooker is supposed to lock the moisture inside. I used to have one (forgot the brand) that doesn't dry up even when I cook soup overnight.

Any idea which brand is good (doesn't dry up)?

Hi, I've been using my rice cooker to cook porridge since my boy started at 6mths. The new rice cookers have different functions and I use the "porridge" function. Takes about 1hr at the most. As for texture, it depends on how much water u put in. I will usually add in the ingredents about 30mins into the cooking so as not to overcook them. When the time is up, I'll remove the ingredients to mash (or blend if it is chicken/pork meat) and then mix with the porridge. It's really convenient, fast and economical. I cook his meals separately. This mean only about 1/5 cup of rice each time. As he grows older, I use less water to cook so as to give the porridge more texture. For more taste, you can use stock instead of water to cook the porridge.
happy.gif

I havent started using the slow cooker i bought a mth ago coz my ger dun eat alot. Kinda wasteful to use a slow cooker for 2 over hrs juz to cook a tablespoon of rice.

Mine is the toyomi slow cooker which my mil passed me. So far it has been good. It can make the porridge very soft and easy for my son.

hi
i need advice..i cook my baby porridge with chicken or pork meat or bone but i never feed the meat except fish...when should i start giving? cos if i accidentally give him small pcs of meat he will have the action like wan to vomit...should i wait till he has molar teeth?

Judging from his gag reflex, obviously he hasn't learnt how to gum/chew his food...but that's not to say u shouldn't introduce semi-solids. U didn't mention how old he is.

I relied a lot on Ruth Yaron's book Super Baby Food http://www.superbabyfood.com Can't remember what age she recommends meat to a baby (too young and his immature digestive system won't be ready to digest the protein) but it could be 1 year.

Anyway... I used to put minced meat in porridge. If the porridge is still lumpy, u can blend it. A little hand-held chopper is quite indispensible for making baby food at this age. U shouldn't wait until he has molars to introduce meat for sure. Molars don't appear until closer to 2 years.

hi katgrrl
he is 15 months liao.neither the porridge nor the meat (except bone) is lumpy at all since i cook from around 8 or 9 and he will have this for lunch and dinner

i use big pcs of meat and would cut criss cross at the meat to get the juice out...so should i used mince now? after that i still blend? would that be too soft?
help...confused

hi, toddlers can be picky about texture..guess u just have to find what works with your boy. how big are the pieces of meat when u finally try to feed your son? my 22 month old has molars but he still doesn't like to chew pieces of steak that I cut up into tiny pieces for him. What may not be lumpy to us may be very different to a toddler.

Since 1 year, my son's been eating pasta bolognese...he's fine with the minced meat. now, he likes meatballs or chinese style steamed meat.

hi smhlim001,

maybe too much water was added..
actually oso facing the same problem when i bring out the porrridge to the mall for later consumption.
when left for an hour or so, it starts to turn watery...

hi,
is this thread still active?
im tinking of buying a mini slow cooker to cook porridge
wondering if i cook at bout 7am in the morn, will the porridge be burnt by 12pm? cos small one has no control panel?

hi sharon

i happen to bump into this thread.

e bb sitter has shared that we can soak e rice ~ 15mins.

boil it till it ripes (i'm using claypot) then transfer it into e slow cooker (has diff setting).

if u choose slow, usually it's safe. else u k try auto.

ops, is e small type really w/o control switch? or only certain brand.

i'm act thinking of buying ~50bucks (sales at OG/saw freq adverts of them selling this price for members think shld b also avail at other dept stores) thermal warmer colleagues hv been v happy using it.

they said that after bowling soap, it k keeps warm for v long. they boil soap in e am, when home in e evening, it's still warm enough.

oh btw,

i'm act searching for sharing forum on e bb carrier..

do u happen to use any or know any recommended?

if so, dun mind to share n send to my personal mailbox - [email protected]

thanks n hope to hear fm you

I personally don't like "slow cookers" because they only do one thing, slow cook. For about the same money as a slow cooker, you can get a "roaster" that slow cooks and can do a whole lot more!

how to make tasty natural porridge without adding seasoning and yet avoiding fishy smell? anyone can share?

Hi Mummies, I am going to introduce porridge to my six-month-old boy. what type of fish do you normally put in the porridge? Do you put the fish into the porridge about 30 minutes before the porridge is ready or throw everything into the pot right at the beginning? Thanks very much!

Last time i used to put fish inside slow cooker to cook with the porridge for 30min. This method made the porridge very fishy smell. After a couple of months using this method, I took my confinement aunt advice - cook the fish separately. Steam fish for 3min then combine with the porridge. I used "ma yau yu"

May I ask you mommies here? My mother in law said that using blender to puree the porridge will cause baby to have a lot of wind/ gas. Is it true? Because every single time she sees me blending my baby's porridge after I cooked it, she will make this comment. I know I can blend it first before cooking it. But I just want to know whether there is a truth to it or is it a old belief?

Back