Any mothers using slow cooker to cook baby's porridge?

megt

I'm thinking of buying a slow cooker for cooking my 9 mth old son's porridge. Any recommendation of a brand? Is the 0.7 ltr one enough or should I get the bigger 1.5 ltr type?
Thanks.

meg_tan
I intend to use slow cooker to cook for my coming to 6mth boy. My mum bought a very small one I think is the 0.7ltr type, not too sure.

Hi Meg

For me, I think the small one is enough cos normally porridge I only cook for one meal. If cook too long not that nice.
happy.gif

Meg, Jas,
I got a 1.2 litre for my MIL to cook my girl porriage.

Meg, ur 07 Litre cannot control one right? 1.2 litre can control on n off.

Hi megt,
my mil bought 1 Toyomi 1.2L slow cooker for me. dunno good or not cos havent start using. she claimed tat she bought tis cos its inner pot is "rough" texture, so have the option to cook over the stove then transfer to the slow cooker is want to get the porridge cook faster.

I have the national probably 1.2L slow cooker. It is used for slow cooking soups and herbs.

you can cook porridge for your child using a normal small pot over a small fire. I do that when I am in the mood for porridge (cantonese kind) and my young nieces and nephews have no problem eating. it cooks faster.

I used the smallest (no control panel kind) which cost about $20. I find that it is sufficient if it is for cooking baby's porridge.

Depend on the desired consistency of the porridge. For a newly-weaned babe, must cook longer so that the grains 'break up finely'. For older children, no need to cook as long. For young babies- 3+ hours (if I remember correctly). Then again, we can also boil some water and pour it into the slow cooker to cook the porridge. That will shorten the cooking time.

I agree with Pink Tulip on getting the smallest one. I assume u want to make your baby's porridge fresh everyday? A 1.2l may be too big for cooking that small amount of porridge (unless the whole family eats the same porridge... everyday?
uhoh.gif
)

I have being using the 0.7l since my boy was 6 months. We brought the cooker along during our stay in Sentosa when he was 11 months. It was convenient. The cooking time is about 1.5 - 2 hours. It was only recently that I upgrade to 1.2l as he is turning 16 months. I don't really mind without the control panel. Will still keep the small one for making soup for him.

Hi my slow cooker cook really slow, for 4 hours it can only breakdown the porridge to a very soft texture. For the carrot and sweet potatoes, it was still hard.

Any good recomemdation for slow cooker that just need around 2 hours to cook porridge with carrot and all kind of vege and fish or meat?

also can contol high/low on/off

THanks
mom2004

mom2004,
i have been using the 1.2L Toyomi slow cooker. tho it only has off, auto & high switch, but u can use the inner pot over flame. so when i need the porridge to cook faster, i'll boil the rice n water over the stove b4 putting into the cooker.

so far if i use the cooker on high setting thruout (without over the flame), porridge will be ready ard 1 1/2 hours.

btw, i also realise cooking time also depends on the rice grains.

Hi mom2004,

I too use the same model cooker as Vanessa. If you really want baby's food to be cooked fast yet soft enough, you can try blending the ingredients beforehand and then throw them all nto the cooker.

Hi

I too used the slow cooker but if u really want food to cook faster, can try using hot boiling water.

Cheers

Hi,
Thanks for replying. How about carrot? do you put carrot into your slow cooker (together with porridge)? how long does it takes to really soften it (that you can use your spoon to smash it)? My slow cooker seems to never soften it even after 4-5hours.

Thanks.
mom2004

mom2004,
usually i slice the carrot n put it together with the rice grain to cook. either slice it thinly or use a peeler to peel (faster). it cooks much faster.

Hi mom2004

U can try boiling the carrot till it's a bit soft before putting it in the cooker. Tis way, it's much easier...

Hi mom2004,

I blend everything beforehand and then throw in together with the brown rice to cook. The final texture is like cereal, very soft and easily digestible for baby.

Hi mom2004,

Like the porridge texture from my Cornell 1.2L slow cooker so much that I decided to buy another one to cook Jyn's porridge at my mum's place.

It has LOW (helps to keep porridge warm but not burnt when Jyn oversleeps), AUTO & HIGH (great for ta bao porridge to my mum's place every morning), v difficult to find all 3 controls in a small cooker.

I like to boil the rice+stock+chopped carrot in small pot before pouring into slow cooker. Cook on HIGH abt 1 hour is enough to cook the porridge & even chopped carrot nicely.

I had been using the 0.7l slow cooker to cook porridge since my baby was 6 mths old. I will normally grind vegetables like pumpkins, carrots and brocoli using a food processor. Then, add in rice adn awater together with vegetables and fish. My baby simply loves it as it taste yummy.

mom2004 (mom2004)
u can cut the veg into smaller pcs and minced the meat(fish or other poulty) before cooking thus fasten the cooking time ..boil the porridge than put the slowcooker la..i take abt an hour for weaning and shorter time for 9mths and above bb to get the porridge well cooked and open up..

can anyone here help? I've got one Ellane slow cooker(it has an off/auto/high control), and the claypot can be removed and cook over e stove like e one Vanessa has mentioned. However, I think I've on e flame fire to abit higher tt day n e claypot broke(i usually cook over e stove first if I need it to cook faster).
Now I need to get replacement but I duno who's e distributor for this brand or where to get it.

Hi, need some help here. How long does it take to cook the porridge? How to tell whether the porridge is ready? Watery until cannot see the rice shape?

Hi Cat_tail,

Recommended that you blend the rice first. Cos, your baby is still very young. Cooking normal rice might be too difficult for your baby to swallow. You can increase the texture as your baby grows.

Angeline
blend the rice using miller? or blender cup? Do we need to add water during the blending process?

ixwong, u mean rice or porridge?
anyway, with either one, it'll be easier for u to scoop them(together with the ingredients) out into a feeding bowl n blend, otherwise, u'll hv to transfer e contents frm the blender cup to the feeding bowl again.

mum05
I mean for porridge. So we blend the porridge after it's cooked right? If transfer to feeding bowl first, does it mean we blend manually using hand?

ixwong, ya u hv to blend after it's cooked. U can put in yr ingredients n cooked if u're blending them together, dun hv to cook separately.
It wld be better to get a hand-held blender so that u can blend in any bowl or even container.

mum05,
shld we blend the porridge before cook or after cook? normally we will blend the rice into very fine grains, then blend the meat (uncooked), then put everything into the slow cooker to cook. Btw, we use separate blender cup to blend the dry/wet items.
coz we scared after cook then blend, the porridge will get cold very fast...

BTW, I'm getting a thermal cooking pot to cook my baby's porridge. My friend told me it's better than using slow cooker as this thermal cook uses heat-retention cooking and do not require any electricity. Hence, u can cook the porridge just once for baby's lunch and dinner. Only thing is that the food will be the same. But saves the effort of cooking again.
happy.gif

Hi mummies,
Any recipe to share when using slow cooker to cook baby's food?

Hi hoshi5,
How do u use the thermal cooking pot? It sounds so interesting.

Hi cat_tail,
for thermal cooking pot, there's an inner pot and an outer pot. U just need to put in all the contents into the inner pot, boil for 10 minutes on the stove cooker, till there's bubbles appearing. Then put the inner pot into the outer pot, cover and it will cook using heat retention, just like slow cooker. can keep warm up to 6-8 hrs.

can see this link for the details:
http://www.tiger-corporation.com/com/com0304.htm

I use my fuzzy logic rice cooker to make fish porridge for my husband and I as well....works great and it's really VERY tasty even with no salt.Not sure about porridge for babies though, I assume it should be the same.

Hi Amelia, can share what ingredients, fish you use? How much water did you put? I am very bad at estimation..:p

sorry hoshi5, I dun really come to this thread, so only saw yr query now. however, u can see my ans to your query in my reply to ixwong.
yes, blend after e porridge is cooked. I will normally minced e meat(except fish), cook it with the porridge n then blend them together. The porridge is always till piping hot after blending as it takes less than a min to blend them thoroughly.
I dun blend e porridge and fish now as my girl is already 13mths+, I only blend the meat. Only blend them again when she's sick lor.

Dun cook both of yr child's lunch & dinner meal at one go as porridge will cause 'wind' when kept for a longer timing, even if it's still warm when u're eating it. So not so good for young kids', especially bbs' immature digestive system.
I will cook my girl's lunch n dinner porridge separately(even when we're gg out).

Thanks, hoshi. I have started my boy on porridge for past 3 weeks. As my blender is not the handheld type, I now mill the grains before I put into the slow cooker. The grains will also open up very nicely. For chicken, I usually put a big piece into the porridge for flavour. After porridge is done, I'll take the meat out to blend/mill b4 mixing back into the porridge....

My boy is now on porridge only for dinner. Intend to start porridge for lunch later (now he's having cereal for lunch, no breakfast yet). How u keep the porridge warm when going out?

has anyone tried the PIGEON porridge maker ? actually it is a steel cup-size gadget which u place rice + more water, and put the container in the middle of the rice cooker when u cook the family's (normal) rice.

has anyone tried it?

ixwong, we bought THERMOS vacuum insulated food jug(Stainless Steel - cold to touch on e outside) n put her porridge in it whenever we go out. It can keep e porridge well warmed. It was still piping hot if we scoop out the contents 3-4 hours later.
E box indicated:
Keeps hot : 7 hours, Cold : 9 hours

We bought e bigger one - 500ml which retails at S$45.00

lilipit, i saw that too when i was at Takashimaya's Dept store, but I din buy it cos I feel that the container is abit too small.

i grind the brown rice in a blender before cooking in the slow cooker. but after 3 hours the rice still can taste the bits and pieces. any suggestion? should i boil it in the stove for 15 min before using the slow cooker?

how do u get the brown rice grain to be veri fine ?

thx

i grind the brown rice in a blender before cooking in the slow cooker. but after 3 hours the rice still can taste the bits and pieces. any suggestion? should i boil it in the stove for 15 min before using the slow cooker?

how do u get the brown rice grain to be veri fine ?

do u ladies cook using only water or u prepare stock?

if stock any recommendation?

thx

becky_cat
my nanny told me it takes abt 4 hrs in slow cooker for brown rice to totally mash. She will boil first b4 transfer into slow cooker. For tastier porridge, I'll use stock.

Can prepare chicken stock by boiling onions, carrot, potato with chicken. I sometimes use pork rib stock....

hi becky_cat

my MIL and myself have been cooking porridge for my boy since he's 6mth. we mixed white rice with organic brown rice for him. usually we'll cook the porridge in the slow cooker for approx. 3-4 hrs.

we cook the rice along with some vegetables and meat over the stove till the water boils before putting the pot into the slow cooker. only add in fish 30 min before the porridge is ready to serve so that the fish does not turn hard... we do not cut the fish to small pieces, just throw the whole piece of fish in to cook. the fish will get dissolve in the porridge by itself.

you'll need to add in sufficient water for the porridge to be totally mash. if half way thru cooking, you discovered that the water is not enuff always add hot water. cannot add cold water...

Hi
There is a shop in Choa Chu Kang-Lingbang that sells slow cooker's pot or cover,without having to get the whole set replaced.

May be when you ask the shops in HDB estate that sell slow cookers, they can also order just the pot or cover.

Also, using "New"rice(can be found in provision shops),shorten the cooking time for porridge, turn soft faster. You can just buy say 300g or 500g for cooking baby's porridge...

Just to share...
happy.gif

usually, I will soak the rice for abt 20-30min b4 I put into the slow cooker, I noticed the texture of the porridge is softer, even without blending.

Back