Any Mommies in mid-late 30s or over 40 with small children?

Snoopwen

Its near telok kurau side.I think few mins drive from your place.You live opposite katong mall, as in behind the shop houses?Many good makan place there....

I go parkway very often. Going this afternoon for coffee and may pop in popular at around 2pm...wanna come along?

Anyone help to take care of your son?

Hi,

Welcome Snoopwen and Cpoon!

Cpoon, I am staying in Tampines St 23, how about you?

Have any mummies enrol your kids in Sakamoto?
How's the maths and english there?

Hi snoopwen and cpoon.

cpoon:
My 2 kids are a good 8 years apart! My girl is now 10, and my boy is 2! Yes, it's rather tiring 'starting out all over again', but it is fun. I enjoy my boy very much, maybe because i miss having a bb in the house. The wide age gap means the sister is able to help me babysit while I'm busy. Not bad huh?!

Wow, so many enrichment programmes and all. But I do not subscribe to any of these, so will probably 'sit out' on this discussion. But please, do carry on. It is quite interesting and informative to know what other mummies are doing for their kids. I'm just too lazy to send my kids to anything 'extra'.

quek
I did send my gal to sakamoto for 1 year when she was in k2.I stopped after that and may sent her again in mid p3 or so...

Hi snoopwen and cpoon.

cpoon:
My 2 kids are a good 8 years apart! My girl is now 10, and my boy is 2! Yes, it's rather tiring 'starting out all over again', but it is fun. I enjoy my boy very much, maybe because i miss having a bb in the house. The wide age gap means the sister is able to help me babysit while I'm busy. Not bad huh?!

Wow, so many enrichment programmes and all. But I do not subscribe to any of these, so will probably 'sit out' on this discussion. But please, do carry on. It is quite interesting and informative to know what other mummies are doing for their kids. I'm just too lazy to send my kids to anything 'extra'.

cpoon

i know.. having No. 2 is like going thru it all over again. When the older one is so easy now rite. Bef i got preg, i was having so much fun with my DD. we go out weekends, and its like just get dressed and go. Every evening after dinner at my mum's plc, we go home, watch TV, snack, read, jus enjoying each other's co. Now with DS, huge change which we are adapting. Also explains why i procrastinated to have No.2

DD started to ask for a didi or mei mei. She is so envious of her frens who have siblings. She has been a lonely child for 6 yrs (no other children from my family side, and my hb side not so close) I was also thinking if one day we are not around, she ony has got herself leh...

Anyway, having DS is so natural, I so wanted another child by then.

<u><font color="119911">Hi all mommies,</font></u>
Thanks to all those who contributed to my research. I will take some time to compile the table.

Something to share. I read an article about the 2 year old girl Georgia Brown . I actually first read about her on the cover page of Lianhe ZaoBao.

Georgia has become the youngest female member of Mensa after scoring a genius-rated IQ of 152.

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/pages/live/articles/news/news.html?in_article_id=463539&in_page_id=1770

Quote:
<font color="0000ff">She was crawling at five months and walking at nine months.

By 14 months, she was getting herself dressed.

"She spoke really early - by 18 months she was having proper conversations," Mrs Brown said.

"She would say, 'Hello I'm Georgia, I'm one'. She was also putting her shoes on and putting them on the right feet." </font>

Actually I know of some kids in Singapore who can do most of the above, and some are even better. Like some can recognize all the alphabets ,numbers,shapes,colors at 16 months old, speak in complete sentences since 18 months old, memorize 7 digit phone numbers and make phone calls on their own at about 2 years old. I have even heard of one amazing boy can read a book without pictures, do 300 piece puzzles, and multiplication at 2 years 8 months old. I wonder why he is not in world news

I know some mommies in this forum, also have gifted kids. Would you consider letting them take the mensa test ?

The only thing I found amazing about Georgia Brown, is her ability to draw a perfect circle. She does have very advanced fine motor skills.

Something I find interesting :
<font color="aa00aa">Georgia, who is at nursery school, was also able to tell the difference between pink and purple - a skill which most children learn at primary school age.</font>

Quite surprised at this. Both my boy and girl can tell pink and purple since 2 years old.

Rainbow

i dun know, maybe i jus find my gal's higher chinese not easy cos of my own standard ba. So i must think of enrichment / tuition for her bef its too late. SO far she is good with hanyu pinyin. But chinese characters - she cant make it. I also cant make it, hb also cant make it...

tamarind,

ya lo, my DD can tell the difference since about 2 yrs old leh.. like this is genius meh??? I know cos she started to love pink things, every thing pink.. when i give her purple she rejects.

My take - I try my best to assess my children's intellectual capabilities with an open mind. If I see potential, I try my best to develop them in that direction. I will not force or expect them to fulfill my dream. Like ev mum, I would be happy and proud if my child is smart, but i will not go all out to prove that, I am more of a relax mum. Let the child explore, expand and realise his own abilities.

QUEK

I do not know how is the standard of English. Am helping her myself...

Cuddles
I understand.For me, am chinese educated, so quite interested in the language , thus teaching it myself...

CHILD IQ
No, I will not push for the above...Overly stress a kid beyond its limit may have reverse effect...I have seen it in quite a few cases...To me, as long as my kids are on path, happy, healthy, am very happy liao...

IQ test

even if a child is gifted, she still has to go through the same MOE syllabus, can't promote faster anyway. so I guess gifted or not makes no difference in Singapore. unlike US where we read about kids completing their Masters at age 16

In Singapore, many kids are very advanced in Kumon. I read in one of the Kumon newsletters, a K2 boy doing P4 maths. Watched a documentary on TV a few years ago, a 3 years 3 month old boy doing P4 maths in Kumon

Agreed we should not push the kids too much although I felt that we should give them a little nudge whenever necessary so that they don't slag.

I read that gifted child are at times quite lonley. I will just let my son be, as long as he is happy with what he is doing, and he is at the same milestone as his age group, I am happy.

I will not let him take IQ test lah, think I will be stress, not him.

cowandchick

same same here again. i was feeling kind of lost in all the latest discussions. Only attend essential enrichment like chinese cos i can't help them much. And piano. No time to bring them for so many classes oso.

Hee hee ZMM, nice to find like minded mummy here too. Maybe we too lazy. But still, quite interesting to know what other mummies doing, not that we have to follow, right?

My girl's so-called chinese tuition is not really tuition at all coz she doesn't take school syllabus. Tutor just come and tell her stories and converse in Chinese. she loves it!

So many smart kids around. I wonder what it's like being one and being a mummy to one. I've always been rather slow even as a student, so my kids probably be like me. Still, I managed to survive. Just wondering whati's like to be really smart! Always thot my smart friends were of a different world! No, not aliens, but from a world of which i will never be a part! Hmmm.....

Cuddles,
Actually I am not sure whether a child should be considered gifted, if she develops very much faster than other kids the same age. May be she just develops fast, that's all. When she reaches a certain level, she may remain stagnant there. That girl Georgia Brown, is supposed to have the same as IQ as Stephen Hawking. If she increases her IQ as she grows older, then it will be very scary.

Your girl is doing higher Chinese ? Does all primary school offer this ? I let my girl attend Berries which teaches only Chinese character, because I am worried that she may like hanyu pinyin better because it is easier than learning the Chinese characters.

hippo2002,
MOE doesn't allow a child to skip to a higher level, right ? Actually I wonder why not ?

Do you worry that your girl will feel bored in class when she reached primary 1 ? Since she already knows everything at that level already ?

For example, my girl is already reading sentences and complex words in her phonics class. But in her daily nursery, she is learning A - Z and their phonics sounds. But luckily it is only 2 hours. She likes to go to school, I think she enjoys the company of other kids, and she enjoys following the class routines. But I know she is not intellectually simulated enough in class. But no choice, schools in Singapore are "one size fit all".

rainbow, snoopwen,
When I read that article, I was thinking, what kind of mommy will put her 2 year old girl through an IQ test ?

Actually to me, a genius is not someone who is very smart, but someone who is very creative.

Wah... so many threads after I have not logged in for a few days...

My second ds:

N1 (coming to 3 years old):
English:
1. Know some alphabets ? (NO, still struggling to learn the letters)

Maths:
1. Know some numbers from 1 - 10 ? (Some)
2. Know some shapes and colors ? (YES, all shapes but NOT all the colours)

Not too sure is it a boy thingy as they are slow learners or is it my boy. He is not interested in learning but likes to play and watches TV programmes....not forgetting playing "fighting" with my elder son.

Tamarind

that was my concern too. surprisingly she's not bored in school. In fact her PAP teachers commented she is very outspoken and has strong leadership skills. she's popular in her little clinqe too.

huh? so different from my perception. I thought she was feeling upset from a fallout with one of her favourite friends and I always thought she's shy & timind, slow to warm up to anyone. she usually withdraw into her shell when in a new environment, refuse to talk at all

I believe why she behaves so differently in class is due to her confidence at the subjects so she dares to speak up when asked a question or even volunteer her answers. she also enjoyed helping teacher in tasks & is willing to share her knowledge with her friends so she's popular in her little clinqe.

In that sense, studying beyond her level is good for raising her self esteem and confidence.

I will not stop her from pursuing a level beyond her age just to conform to the norm since she loves the challenge. There is no need to even push her. she's super on herself.

Despites the popular belief that a child studying beyond his level is stressed, I believe the K2 boy from Kumon who's doing P4 maths is not stressed. if he has no interest, no one can push him, not even his parents.

stress is when we need to push a child to do something she hates. like I feel stresed when I have to nag my girl to practice piano and I believe she will probably feel stressed to be forced to do something she doesn't enjoy. So I rather drop it.

Tamarind

yes, agree. If a child keep on has to outdo the next higher level, then will reach a limit. If reach a limit got nothing to look forward to liao then how. Child will become "dong fang bu bai" and say "wu di shi ji mo de" hehehe... pardon me.. just spouting nonsense for some luffs!

Not all pri sch offer higher chinese. Given a choice, i rather not. First SA was on hanyu pinyin which she scored well, but coming SA should be involving more chinese character.. so am getting a bit worried. Eg, she cant differentiate between ya (duck), ji (chicken), er (goose) niao (bird) cos if you realise they all seem the same, just the side changes.

cowandchick ZMM

no worries, what we wanna do for our children is to each his own.

we can have another topic.. let's tok about something else

juz_me,
Just to clarify, I was asking about what nursery schools teach, not what your kids already know at that age
happy.gif
Every child is different, we really cannot compare.

hippo2002,
Actually social development is just as important as intellectual development. The K2 boy can do P4, but doesn't mean he is similar as a P4 child in terms of social ability.

I agree that a child who is intellectually capable, will enjoy challenges, rather than feel stressed. But I don't want my girl to be obsessed with perfection, and I don't want her to be afraid of failures.

Cuddles,
You chose the higher Chinese for her ? I don't mind letting my girl learn higher Chinese, if she is able to follow up with the syllabus at Berries. Their K2 level requires them to write short Chinese composition using Chinese characters !

Cuddles,

My suitation is the same as you. My family side do not have any children except my girl. As for my husband side, my SIL only give birth in Sep. So now trying for 2nd one, hopefully got gd news in this mth.

As for all the enrichment class that my girl attend, she actually enjoy very much.

Just wonder if any mummies know of "genuine" case of shichida kid. I am intereste to find out, if there's any kid, who started young with the school, and then excel all the way in primary or to higher. Been asking around, but so far hear nothing.
Like to know how they fair in their daily school, and their characters, the social type or the introvert type.

Tamarind

your earlier question on why MOE doesn't allow a child to skip to a higher level?

I think MOE is right because social skill development is not the same. so the child will feel out of place if skip levels

Singapore doesn't practice home schooling otherwise that will not be an issue. the child can continue to study at the level she is capable of and still play with children of her same age. ideal situation

how about discussing how we came up with our NICK ?

my girl's favourite soft toy is a hippo. and she's a 2002 baby. hence hippo2002
happy.gif

hippo,
for kumon, at the age of 3, the kid will sit there and do worksheet, so after completing it, the teacher will mark the paper? How many papers are they require to do? what about for older kid?

I might have missed what you wrote before, can share what your elder girl do when she is at kumon?

Cuddles

even if the school offers higher Chinese, can choose to opt out. anyway doesn't count towards PSLE, might as well rest & relax lor

Cpoon

Yes, just pop by Tampines East MacDonald to fill in a Red PEA form. the party is free. just need to order food from MacDonald

my target of getting my 3 years old off milk bottle is not successful
she goes on hunger strike so I gave in, return her the milk bottle

she loves to use this tactic. the last time I tried to switch a brand of milk she's drinking to the same as her elder sister, she went on hunger strike too

I'm wondering when she reaches teen, and if I don't allow her to stay overnight for chalet, would she use this old trick again ?

Hey, don't end your discussions on my account and ZMM. I don't mind reading it all, and i don't think ZMM will too. It is interesting to know what other mummies do for their kids. Of course each of us have our own ways, but that doesn't mean what others is doing is not right. I like your discussion! Very eye-opening! I think i have been living in a very deep well all these years. But nah, too old to change also!

As for our nick, mine's 'cowandchick' - break it up to 'cow and chick' Coz my girl born in year of cow, and my boy born in year of rooster, so chick lor. Join together becomes cowandchick! Hee hee.

hippo2002,
You managed to stop her from wearing diapers at night when sleeping ? How did you do it ?

For my girl, I use rewards. For example, I told her I will bring her to the seaside if she stop using her pacifier. She got rid of it very quickly. Now I don't need to bring milk bottles when I travel overseas with her. But at home I still give her the milk bottle, just because it doesn't spill easily.

My Nick
I am not creative enough to make up new words, and I like flower/spice names, so I chose "tamarind", because I like the way it sounds.

<font color="0000ff">cowandchick,</font>
Recently I was getting very kan cheong about preparing my kids for primary 1. Because I heard about some primary 1 kids being sent back to kindergarten, because they were not well prepared. I am not worried about my older girl, but very worried for my younger boy who shows little interest in learning academically. He loves his bulldozers, and say he wants to work in a construction site ! Sigh...

Tamarind

do you still wear night diaper for your girl?

I find that night diaper doesn't help because my girl feels 'protected' so she will continue to wet her diapers. she finds it too troublesome to remove her diaper & walk to toilet. after I removed her night diaper totally, she will diligently wakes up in the middle of night to go toilet once herself.
I told her it's alright to wet her bed, just need to change her bedsheet herself. hehe, she probably figures out it's less troublesome to go toilet than change bedsheets

my younger girl is also off her nap & night diaper. she's very proud she is 2 years ahead of her elder sister in getting rid of diapers

my younger girl only gave up her pacifier at 2 years old. I kept telling her she's a big girl now, only young babies suck on pacifier. after saying that for the 10th time, she dump her pacifier into the trash can and that's it, no longer seek her pacifier.
although she blur blur most of the times, she still surprise me sometimes with incident like this
happy.gif

your boy only 2.5 years old. will surely catch up with his sister lah

My nick

Using RAINBOW and shining star as nick cos have been quite down for a while and just hope that I will soon see the rainbow and shining star...I am still hoping

hippo tamarind

its not an option for my gal's higher chinese. She has to take Eng and Chinese as 1st language in school. I wouldnt wanna dig my own grave if i had a choice.

hippo

i think 3 yrs still ok to drink from milk bottle. I rem for DD, I tried to take away her night diaper. Aiyo.. wet the bed so many times, turn the mattress till cannot turn anymore (she sleeps with us). So in the end, i gave up and let her wear her diapers. But shortly after, she just stop. As for the bottle, she is still using it till now for her morning and night time milk. She can defintely drink from mug liao, but i know its very comforting for her and she can drink fast if using the bottle. So i leave it. When we travel, she doesnt need her bottle.

cowandchick

u r rite, before i joined this forum, I never knew there were so much to think abt in bringing up a child. So its really interesting to read up and share. And good for my knowledge. But i will be just as happy to discuss other stuff.

My Nick
=======
I tried many nicks which i usually use. All taken. Then I tried very hard to think what i love to do - love cuddling my children, especially DS, so hence my nick was born

Tamarind

was it you who provided the advise how to add color and bold the text? Can tell again? Soli i forgot to note down...hee..

hippo2002
I only took off my elder son milk bottle mid last year, he was not using milk bottle only in childcare when he was 3 or 4 years. Heard ppl saying that children will stop drinking milk if take off the milk bottle.

Cuddles,
What school is your girl goes to ? I didn't know it's compulsory in some schools.

hippo2002,
Actually my boy is completely toilet trained even when sleeping at night, it's my girl who is not !!!

I also wanted to just don't let her wear diapers, but she sleeps with quite a few pillows, it will be very troublesome if all the pillows get wet.

May be I should go and get those waterproof pillow covers.

Cuddles
I think life is full of up and down...some disappointments....but sure hope this will be over and behind me....As it is, there is never fairness in this world...

Today is a very busy day for me cos just sent son to see doctor after his reaction from mmr jab...fever, whizzing, coughing and super cranky...to avoid waiting time, I am first in the q at the clinic this morning....

Mom give me headache as usual...seeing me buying things lately, think am very rich liao and start to talk about money to me...sigh....

Rainbow
Agreed with you no fairness in this world, hope your son get well soon, very tiring and worry when kids get sick. Take care.

Rainbow

to answer your question in another thread
whizziness is not asthmatic, just a lot of phlem whenever there's a cough. PD said whizzy kids will most likely develop asthma in future. using nebulizer whenever the child coughs will not get rid of root cause, just relieve symptons.

Quek

my elder girl still drinks milk. she drinks from the cup thrice a day, about 5oz each time. much lesser than previously. she used to drink 8oz each time from milk bottle

is your boy still drinking milk?

hippo2002
my son still drinking milk, using cup, sometimes once or twice a day.

can i check with you, under which level then we can sell in this forum?

Quek

thanks for your comforting words...

Hippo2002
What type of med that the yisi prescibe that helps to cure the whizziness eventually....My boy is on tuina and tmc and yisih says he has sensitive nose....

Your gal only whizz when got phlegm?My boy is when he is overly tired and cried too much, mucus in the nose and thus making that noise...what about yours?care to share with me...thanks a lot....

Rainbow,
Whizzing could be a sign of bronchitis, does your son whizz very often ? Nebulizer will help to clear the phlegm. Whenever my son cough badly and whizz, PD always ask us to put him on nebulizer.

Rainbow

Being treated unfairly by the il side, thus very disappointed with them, very long din go there liao.

Don let you son sleep in aircon room if he got whizzing sound.

Back