Any Mommies in mid-late 30s or over 40 with small children?

Hi mumusings
thank u! will only be embarking on the part time half load "expetition"! heehee not so bold to take on full time, i think i will "sink" hahaha. going back cos my elder one will be K2 next yr, so would like to secure a seat for her at a nearby neighborhood sch.

btw u can really cook! i'm always cooking the same few dishes...my hubby so nice to say "you cook healty foods", hahaha wat to do i hate oil splattering so everything can steam i steam, cannot then grill. have u got your pan?

btw, any mummy here tried eating just organic food? i'm trying to change to organic food but realised the things are pretty costly huh? but am really scared of the amount of chemicals we are exposing ourselves n our loved ones. any one who can advise on this matter?

joy, congrats on ur DD's results. My colleague was telling me about the exceptional Mrs Tan too (both her kids in Rulang).

Tam, Rulang is NO ordinary neighbourhood school.

Helen, part time might be more siong cos its half pay, full time load! But have fun!
happy.gif

Re organic, think I read in some mag (shape?) before that there are some stuff that have more pesticides than others (apples is one of them) so if u wan to partial switch, switch those first (so that you can get away from as much pesticides as possible). Think if u eat a lot of bread, getting a breadmaker and making ur own organic bread is a good idea too

Hi Helen,

I don't cook elaborate stuff at home hahaha... my husband's the one who taught me how to cook. If I'm not sure, I'll just ask him eg. "what should I do with fish?" He'll then come look at the ingredients and then recommend 1, do this, 2 don't overdo that, 3, etc. These days I will modify when I'm feeling creative.

Haven't bought the Happycall yet 'cos it seems very heavy - I have weak wrist so try to avoid heavy pots and pans. I don't eat organic food. I don't know how 'organic' is organic but the air is already filled with impurities etc, and some pure things may have previously been borne from non-organic sources. I've only planted chilli padi and pandan leaves before and that's as organic as I get. Someone once told me that organic stuff is natural but likely you also get more natural worms and bacteria lurking on surface because they use manure as fertiliser. I guess you have to decide for your family.

I can't do organic 'cos I'm carnivorous. I don't buy weird modified foods like square watermelons though and just buy fresh meats and veggies, don't overdo sauces etc. Balanced meal should work out better than being too obsessive about calories and chemicals. Just my views lah...

Hi all,

Was greeted by a spelling error on Straits Times online - they are getting very lax these days. Unclear headlines, cheesy phrases and mis-spellings... Sometimes on Channel News Asia too
sad.gif

6366826.jpg

What sort of phrase is:
"The jobs that Singaporeans shun, revealed"??

Odd use of 'The' and the comma - makes the phrase looks like it's plucked from a Japanese haiku.

Shouldn't it be simply:
"Jobs shunned by Singaporeans"

Mumusings,
Thanks for asking, I am barely surviving during this holiday period. My 2 toddlers are squabbling every hour of the day, I am also busy preparing my eldest and myself for P1 next year by reading up the KSP forum. She just had her P1 orientation and like Joy, I did not like some of the behaviors exhibited by the parents. We were happily smiling to all the parents in the same class (trying to make some friends) only to be greeted with a stone faced expression. I was telling my hb "Why must be so atas, all in the same class right??"

Hi Muffin,

Ignore those snobby parents - there will be insecure people who try to act class all the time. Take care and all the best
happy.gif
Not easy dealing with many kids at home. My mom's antidote in the past was to leave us at grandma's or her friends place so that they have their own gathering and kids have kids' play.

Hi all,

Hehehe... hb cooked kamameshi (Jap steelpot rice) using the clams my mom bought for us
happy.gif
Looks crazyily-crowded right? The kid and his father finished almost the entire pot of rice!!

6367662.jpg
6367663.jpg
6367664.jpg

Very easy to do. Recipe here - might want to teach your kids how to cook this! My son helped place the clams, egg and prawn into the pot. This will cost you minimum 1500 yen per person.

Hi mumusings,
Your food looks so delicious !

bloom,
Yes Rulang is a "premium" neighbourhood school. Now there will be many more parents fighting to get their kids in the school.

Helen,
Are you going to get a maid when you go back to work ? It is definitely not easy to juggle work and family, with or without maids. I have a lot more white hair now, so sad.

As for special needs children, perhaps one solution is to employ one teaching assistant for every teacher. The largest class that I teach now is 25, and my students are age above 17. I can understand how difficult it is for a teacher to control a class of 30 to 40 kids under the age of 12, especially when there are one or two kids with special needs.

I have visited an organic vegetable farm in Kranji area before, the vegetables are not expensive. I don't think they are certified organic by international standards, but the Kranji farm claimed that they only use natural fertilizers. There is also kampong chicken selling in NTUC, and I guess these chicken are not fed with growth hormones, but I am not too sure.

When I was in China, I found that the chicken sold in restaurants are always so skinny. When I told my China colleagues that the chicken in Singapore is very fat, they told me that our chicken has been fed with growth hormones. I have been eating it all my life !

Actually I have also heard about many chemicals used on vegetables and fruits grown in China, so I always avoid buying any food from China for my kids.

Helen,
Here is the link to the farm I wrote above :
http://www.fireflies.sg/

They don't use animal waste as fertilizers, they use rock dust, molasses, etc. I haven't actually been buying from them, though I want to, but it is a hassle to drive there.

muffin,
I find that parents in my kids' class also don't bother to talk to each other, perhaps they view each other as competition ?
All the best to your eldest and children of all mommies in this thread who will be in P1 next year. Hope that your kids enjoy and do well in school.

Hi Tam, Helen

It's sad people view others as competition rather than people whom they can exchange ideas and learn from.

Thanks for the info on organic food - I think different countries' farm operate differently so unless we know for sure what comes from where and how, it's a risk eating everything these days, organic or non-organic.

I agree with Tam about China veg/fruits. I saw once at supermarket, coloured water dripping from the oranges. I though I was seeing things until I picked one up and looked at the plastic wrapper. After that incident, I stick to Barnfield, Sunkist, Jaffa citrus fruits just to be safe.

Hi Tam,

Not true that all fat chicken are so due to growth hormones. Local chickens can be naturally large, depends on whether they are slaughtered before maturity. Got pecked by one before when I was in Primary school - a relative keeps a coop under her house for their meals. Buys a few chicks and feed them till they are plump and large before they become food on the table. About the height of a toddler when angry and even scare the family dogs away!

Article on poultry farming:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Poultry_farming

Thanks Bloom, Mumusings and Tam for your inputs on the organic food.

At the moment, I am just buying from the organic section in NTUC . B4 i started eating organic veg, I also buy from local farm or malaysia and will avoid China. Reading all the black-hearted merchants in China makes one shiver....

I have decided to try organic food cos I am suffering from eczema on my right hand and it seems like it is spreading downwards to my palm. My elder one also has eczema, tho not as serious compared to other kids I have seen, my heart aches when I see her scratching and her wounds so sore! Have let her undergone TCM but condition improved for a couple of months then it comes back again...sigh...

Actually, I am also thinking of switching household detergents, bathroom shampoo etc slowly. Reading the toxics that we expose ourselves to is frightening. And i am so scared of taking medication. Even taking supplements such as multivitamins make me feel like vomitting. I really hope I can help myself n the family stay healthy by providing "natural" food. Maybe I am been too "kia si"??

Btw organic is not proven to be any more nutritious than non-organic food, just lesser pesticides(watched a documentary on this)

Mumusings
your food makes my mouth water.....hahaha
U must be an English guru. will need to consult you next time if i encounter any prob in English

Tam
As long as I can put off, I think I will not engage any maid as I am really uncomfortable with a stranger living under the same roof with me. Remember? I tried only for 51 days and then send my first and hopefully last maid back to the agent? I will need to train my gals to help out more with housechores, maybe involve them in preparing for meals heeheehee liking peeling onions, washing veg etc. geez... but sure will need to clean up more than b4!

Bloom
I am on half load half pay. report late, no cca etc. but if they wan to squeeze me dry, i will say sayonara. cos i have told them i do not need the $, coming back cos helping my friend who will going off to a HOD course. Honestly, I am very happy working from home, writing for publishers/ online portals. Told my friend: if i quit after she comes back from her course, she will knw that i have been bullied hahaha!

So long my dear friends here at the forum. it has been great knowing you ladies and have learnt a great deal too! hope I can still visit this forum as often as I can!

Enjoy family time together and wishing all good health and happiness!

Hi Helen,

I must learn from you 'cos you're the teacher
happy.gif
Organic shampoo etc cheaper from iherb - the mark-up here is alot. Have friends who join sprees telling me that it's cheaper to get online. (eg. lollipops, creams, vits, detergent etc).

Great chatting with you here too. I'm sure you'll find time for us even after term starts
happy.gif
No CCA and half load should be manageable - no need to sit through all meetings (contact time etc) right? How did you get to be working from home fo publishers and online portals btw?

helen, yeah, should still have time to surf net since its parttime.. bookmark us on ur hp (i surf alot on the MRT/bus etc).

Re eczema on hand. I suspect its ur detergents. I had that after I gave birth to DD with my mama lemon dish detergent. See doc, tcm no use. Later switch to MLM (amway) and after a few months, can use mama lemon once a in while. You might want to try switching too.

My gal is using QV bath for her eczema and nature gate for shampoo (all supposedly SLS free).

Hi Tam,

Stay strong and firm! Read ST today
sad.gif

Hi Bloom,

Yes, my mom staying away from commercial brands detergent. Helps. Now using Ecover's dish detergent. Nature's Gate is great too - toddler also using. I buy the shampoo and use as all-in-one. Pomegranate and aloe vera are lovely. Are we long-lost twins? Hahaha I used to use QV too when I had sensitive skin. Like the fact that it cleans well and very gentle. Cannot tahan Dove brand anything - creamy, residue and sticky.

mumusings,
Thanks for your kind words. My maid blog is now notorious.

Actually my biggest wish is for my blogs about reading in Chinese and English to be widely read. I only receive good comments in my reading blogs, unlike those nasty and hurtful comments in my maid blog.

One thing I learned is that truth means different things to different people. Some people just whole heartedly believe that all maids are kind and innocent, and all employers are villains. The world is never as simple as that.

Thank you for sharing about the chicken that pecked you hehehe so funny. Now I feel better because I love chicken and can eat chicken for every meal. I wonder why the chickens in China are so skinny, perhaps they don't bother to feed their chickens well.

Helen,
If you can do without a maid, it is definitely the best. You will be putting your kids in student care/child care ?
In my case, my current maid is good, and my mother is getting older, so I want to keep this maid to look after my mother. It will be really very dreadful to find a new maid again because the whole system of employing maids in Singapore is really unfair to the employers.

Hi Tam,

The news article was very one-sided. Fails to address why Singaporeans are so worried to hire the wrong people (eg. abuse, even murder of kids). Guess when profits are hit, folks in the business need to get defensive and cut down any form of bad publicity...

I read your most recent post and suddenly realise that I'm very lucky indeed to be stayhome. I sometimes try to imagine myself working full-time and having to leave the boy to someone (??) to take care of 12 hours a day. Quite scary. Not the chores, 'cos I'm like doing them, but the physical and mental fatigue from running about. Not easy to place trust on outsiders, sometimes not even family!

About the China chickens - maybe they were slaughtered when they're not yet full-grown. I love eating chicken too. My granny told me the chickens in China are fat! Really depends who who rears them, method and duration. I know there are school trips to local farm - would like to know what the creatures are fed these days.

mommies, today wobao mentioned that MOH is bringing forward the MMR jab dates for kids... not sure what it will mean to those kids of ours who are in between (after 1st dosage and supposedly waiting for 2nd dosage in P1)

Hey mommies, just returned from KL. Stayed at Mid Valley again. Nice business hotel linked to shopping malls. Went sunway lagoon. Sing Karoke, makan a lot, shop a little. Didn't plan any long haul trip so last minute we decided to go KL lor

Will catch up reading recent posts later.

tam, went to my parents place to dig up that article. mummusings is correct. one sided, and quotes are taken from ur blog to make it sound misleading.

the most u lock some sections up... but dont stop ur work... alot of people use it as advice/reference stop.

Hello Mummies,

Need some advice.DD classmates are doing a last min get together and hope to book a chalet this month.Anyone has any advice where we can find a last min chalet?thanks

rgds
Joy

tamarind, mumusings

I enjoyed reading your blogs!

I cannot write very well, so cannot write blogs, otherwise very stressed, need check like crazy my grammar and sentence sense, haha!

Hi Yawn,

Thanks! I don't check grammar hahaha sometimes horrified to see mis-spellings and odd phrases. No time to write drafts 'cos got to do everything fast in case the kid comes over and freeze my laptop by pressing something
happy.gif
Thanks for visiting my blog - just want to share cost-saving and useful ideas around to save mummies from being fleeced.

Just wrote something yesterday - list of 'cooking' steps kids can get involved in. http://mumusings.blogspot.com/2011/12/home-mumusings-77-getting-kids-involved.html We're starting early to get him interested in cooking and chores so that he won't become like one of those men who can't lift a finger to help at home
happy.gif
For his future's wife's sanity too
happy.gif
His first dish was the kamameshi featured above (Monday's post). Both father and son have been having nothing but venus clams on rice and mushroom balls etc this week!

Hi Joy,

Better go book chalet quick - usually fully booked due to xmas, new year season! If not, can anyone who lives in a condominium get a function room?

mumusings, bloom,
The part about the amount of food that the maid should eat, was actually my response to another employer who wrote that her maid was over-eating, and the maid now has double chins with a tommy and flabbing arms. My advice is what anyone would give to someone who over eats. In any case, that amount of food that I wrote is much more than what most women can eat. The reporter is being very unfair to me.

I created my blog to connect with other employers of maids who share the same experiences as me. Now it has attracted so many busy bodies, especially expats who are so condescending. I am growing immune to the nasty comments, just delete and forget about it.

yawn,
mumusings write so much better than me. I really admire her. When I write, I often get my hubby to check and help to correct.

Hi Tam,

Yes, the part on food was deliberately quoted in a separate box to make you look like some sort of autocratic person who places restrictions even on food-intake! I showed my hb the article - basically they're defending their business more than 'rights' of domestic helpers. Just using the latter to fan fire.

Hi all,

Anyone read this?
http://www.straitstimes.com/BreakingNews/Singapore/Story/STIStory_740771.html

Hope this one isn't linked to one of the BPs on cruises a few months back
sad.gif

Quoted from article:
"They were not told why but some speculated that the firm may be cracking down on members who allegedly profiteered from selling off privileges they had redeemed with their membership points - such as cabin rooms."

Wonder what's happened to the other case regarding the RWS...

Hi mumusings,
I was kaypoh and posted in the BP thread warning other mommies to call Star Cruise to check first.

Instead of listening to my advise, other mommies came forward to support the BP organizer, saying that they had no problems with her. Many other people continued to do business with her.

Quote from the news :
"They were not told why but some speculated that the firm may be cracking down on members who allegedly profiteered from selling off privileges they had redeemed with their membership points - such as cabin rooms."

BP in this forum is unregulated and is very risky. Many mommies do not seem to understand this.

Hi mummies,
Juz come back from 8-day trip 2 Guilin laxt nite. Wow, so mny postings in 1 wk! Our flight back was delayed by almost 2 hrs as a passenger from the earlier arrival flight was detained as she din hv a valid entry visa n the ChineseCustoms refused 2 let our flight leave n wana fine the airline 4 failing 2 ensure tat all passengers got valid visas as required. In the end, the airline managed 2 negi n let the flight send tat passenger back 2 Singapore. Since when do the Airline gotta ensure visa issues? Ridiculous isn't it?

Hey Joy,
Congrats tat ur Dd's in Nation's top 10, Well done
happy.gif

Busy wif unpackg, catch up wif u all later.

Hi Tam,

Yes, I saw your posting on the BP thread. Bought only once from BP and it was fine. Small amount arbout S$10. Otherwise many things are expensive! Think I saw iherb stuff at quite high price. I think many ppl don't check before they order.

Anyway the cruise deal was weird. First it was put across like it's almost free, but goes up to more than a thousand. Secondly, the check in part is too convoluted. Thirdly, too business-like for something that runs on customer's VIP points. It's like an agent further helping tenant subletting room... which isn't right. Wonder if all the posts are genuine (those who said they enjoyed the trip etc). Resorts World 'promo' also had much business and rave reviews until things went haywire.

The joy in going for hols is personally getting tickets, booking for places, doing research and packing up. Absolutely miss packing luggage!!!

How's things with your blog?

mumusings,
I totally agree with you about the joy in going for holidays, I love doing all those things that you wrote.

Now I don't even join sprees. I buy from US websites directly, and combine a few orders and ship together.

This forum should ban BPs that will potentially cause people to lose a lot of money. Small amounts are not so damaging. I heard there are also many fake branded goods in BPs.

Busy bodies seem to have given up posting in my blog ever since I turned on comments moderation. Some maids posted in my blogs and now I learn that even maids have iPhones. I only own a cheapskate Android phone. I should have made my blog more private from the beginning. I don't understand why other people who are not employers of maids want to waste time posting in my blog. Especially westerners who insist that we are exploiting the maids by paying them peanuts, when in fact the maids are earning 5 times more than what they can earn in their home country.

Just need some advise here.

Do you mixed your kids white uniform and non-white (or dark colour) into the washing machine or should I separate them?

My DS going P1 next year. The school uniform top is white shirt, bottom is dark blue pants. He is the only child and I dont mixed his clothes with the adult clothes. I find that his laundry is too little if I separate the washing. Moreover I dont wash clothes everyday. I think I will ended up with clean top with no bottom or with clean bottom but no top.

Will I stain the white tops/or turn yellowish if I mixed together?

School Holiday
What is your child's daily routine during this school holiday?

Mine is super relax and laid back. Once he open his eye in the morning, he will watch TV all the way till afternoon. Then play ipad. I wanted him to attend some holiday enrichment programme but he said no. Even arts and craft, drawing class he is also not interested. I really dont know what to do with him. I think I am going crazy this school holiday.

Hi Pantone,

Best to wash the blue/blacks/whites together - that's what someone once advised.

Hi Tam,

Ohhhh!!! You didn't set moderation mode - no wonder! People who talk about rights don't get the facts right sometimes. Rights is also subject to lawas of the country. It's like a kid screaming "I have the right to buy a toy". Yes, subject to parents having the money and also good behaviour right?

Hello mummies!

I also need to instill more routine in my kids' schedule during the holidays....
- I added inline skating for them- organized by community center- luckily, they met a very nice teacher, so now after 4 lessons, can skate quite confidently- I plan to continue this into the school year, so they get more practice
- Luckily, their chinese enrichment class starts in Dec, so they will have some work to do
- Ballet (incl extra coaching class per week for exams) (for younger kid), piano (for older kid) and swimming still going on
- I wanted to recap chinese words with my K2 gal, to prepare her for P1- but have not done so yet...we are getting her to spell all words on the Dolch list (given to us at NYPS orientation- NYPS stressed to all parents to ensure that their child can spell all these words effortlessly by P1)
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Dolch_word_list

Am starting to plan for a Korea skiing trip during CNY...any mummies skiied in korea before? Any recommendations for resorts near seoul for self-travel?? Not many resorts offer online booking...=(

mumusings,
I was too busy to moderate the comments in the past, so I did not turn it on. Now I have no choice. I am blogging about a very controversial topic, I have to expect many people to hate me. I just came across a I hate xxxxxx facebook page, dedicated to hating one woman. I won't be surprised if there is a I hate tamarind page hahaha. My conscience is clear, and I don't care what other people think about me.

Hi Tam,

Certainly understand you're very busy at work but it's just one way to sieve out the unsavoury and vicious. You have many supporters too, and people who use your sites as a reference place (kid's books as well as about domestic workers).

mumusings,
Some people even get very angry when I deleted their comments, accusing me of not allowing free speech. These people don't even understand the difference between a blog and a public forum.

I am glad that many people have posted comments to support me.

Thanks for listening to me . I really appreciate it.

pantone

my kids also super relaxed. I pushed them to do more housework lor, since they're so idle. Told them 'no maid in this house' & don't expect me to do everything. They whine & complain I'm an evil stepmother, haha!

However they argue a lot more. And always try to involve me in their squabble. Told them to keep me out of their arguments. This is the only thing I hate about school holiday. Noisy like a market

Tamarind

You've my support! if there's ever a 'I hate tamarind page', then we can start a 'we're tamarind's fans page', hehe

fairy

my kids' academic classes also starting next week. Not full fledge yet, just one class each. Music classes also on going. Since both are with private teachers so I let them have lesson break in some week.

Other than holiday sketching classes for dd1, didn't sign up for anything else. Too lazy to send & fetch. School holiday is my break time too. I think I'm even more idle than them. This school holiday I catch up on reading my favourite 亦舒小说 & manga, shiok!

Although I do have action items lah. Transferring dd to another school. Got to buy her new uniform & textbooks. Maybe 2nd half of Dec shall do that, now still in idle mode, can't think of school term stuff yet, haha!

Hi Tam,

There is a programme on CNA at 8pm tonite on Maid's Blogging. I saw your Maid's Blog featured. I guess those people whom posted those kinda nasty remarks have not met nasty or problematic maids yet OR, they are the guilty ones whom are angry having being "exposed". Till they come across one, will they understand our frustration as employers.

My colleague's maid of 5 yrs played him out, supposed to go back for vacation and disappeared into thin air thereafter. Wanna go back for good just tell lah....as if we are so mean not to let them go home.

Guilin - Weather was just nice (ard 20 - 25 deg) on the 1st 3 days we were there, with light wind. The weather took a drastic turn on the 4th day onwards and dropped to a low of 3 deg on one of the days and raining. Luckily, I brought sufficient clothings to keep us from the cold.

Guilin basically has lotsa caves with lotsa stalatites and stalamites formations. But, the Chinese "decorated" the those formations with fanciful lightings until I find that its too "fake" and cannot see the originality.

We enjoyed our trip to the Rice Terrace at Long Sheng. It was a almost 3-hr coach ride from Guilin City but, the air there is very refreshing in the Mountains.

Toilets - The toilets there are generally ok/ decent with proper flushing system. But, some toilets at the more remote areas still have no doors!

Overall, it was a ratther relaxing trip for us. My kids took the trip well, as usual, my DD1 reluctant to come back. But, too many shopping stops (a usual thing when joining grouped tours).

Mummies,

Check with you. Do you think its safe to go Tokyo now? My maid going back for her vacation next March and I am planning a getaway trip during her absence. My kids wants to got Disneyland again.

snowball,
I have encountered so many people who write offensive comments without fully understanding the topic that they are writing, who gives them the right to do so ?

I thought the blogTV is live on the internet only. Anyway I don't think I will be watching it, need to spend time with my kids because the last 2 days I have been attending night courses.

Thanks for sharing about Guilin. This is the first time your kids visited China right ? It must be very memorable for them.

As for Tokyo, many people are already going there now.

Hello mummies!

Snowball- my hubby and I were in tokyo in end Oct- everything looked and felt normal, but we both fell sick when we return, which was rather strange, so I am not sure if radiation is in the air and food, cos we ate A LOT of raw seafood....

In fact, I prefer for the kids to be more regimented during holidays, cos they can really idle and laze around doing nothing....but I have been so busy with work, have not implemented my plans =(

Back