Any good pediatrician to recommend in AMK/TPY/Bishan/Thomson?

pandababy

Hi mummies

I am new in this forum.
Anyone has a good & affordable PD to recommend in AMK/TPY/Bishan/Thomson area?

My son also goes to SBCC. Sees Dr. Koh too but eversince we visited Dr. Vella, I prefer him. I also like the PD at Aglow (United Sq).

Hi ladies

Thks for ur info. Btw, how much is the consultation charge in SBCC? Is there usually a long queue for Dr Koh & Dr Vella?

SBCC, i look for Dr Chan Kit Yi
happy.gif
Alden onli see her with no cries de :p

i visited Dr Chan Kit Yee @ Mt A too. She's nice and v friendly. She also sees patients at AMK SBCC on Thurs evenings.

Dr Ong from Aglow (united square) is quite good....

He is quite patient and tells you from A to Z... The staff there are friendly too... Since the birth, my boy has been seeing him till now

Hi Evelyn,

Dr Heng was my gal's PD for her first few visits. Can be quite brief in her explanation and therefore decided to switch PD. But overall, she is not too bad lah, not fantastic though. Now I bring my baby to see Dr Koh of SBCC (AMK) and has been sticking to him eversince.

just being curious on what's the difference for bringing the baby to a PD for injection as compared to a normal GP ?

Hi Panda,
I believe in bringing my kids to see a PD for their jabs instead of the GP. After all, the PD is specialized and I can ask them questions relating the the baby.

I would STRONGLY NOT NOT recommend Chan Kit Yee fr. Mt A (SBCC) to anyone.

I just came back after staying in overseas for a while and chance upon this thread, thot she will be a good PD and so went to her to do a checkup for my 10mth old daughter.

My baby is not sick, but I just want to ensure an overall checkup for her.

Went to this PD Chan Kit Yee, she was impatient even to answer a few questions. I was out of her room within minutes. She only do a few check on the ears, eyes and make my bb stand, that's it. She didn't even bother to check my bb's spine, tummy and genitals etc and yet she ticked these columns in the health booklet.

Wonder why she was so rude and impatient as there's no queue after me, it turned out that she wanted to attend to a boy by the name of Adrian from Raffles (JC I think). Before she attends to me, I saw that she was all smiles with him (he was perfectly well). Guess he could be some big shot's son, which may explain her attitude.

I paid about $80 bucks for her "service", I got some better advice from an auntie and it's free of charge.

Do NOT go to this PD, that was the first and also the last that I will ever let her see my child.

stephz: i guess when making your baby stand, can tell something about her spine. i guess doctors are not perfect.

Dr Chan was my 2 kids' PD till she went to MAH which is out of the way for me. She was very detailed in her checkup and very experienced. Especially appreciated her care when my son was hospitalised at 8 months old for bronchitis. she also diagnosed some nasty bug that made my girl very ill for 2 weeks.

would still recommend her to anyone.

Well, she was aware that my baby is not sick and I came mainly for a DETAILED checkup.

I agree that not all PD are perfect. If just because she was to attend quickly to big VIP boy (who is perfectly well)

and was thus sloppy in her service for us (impatient even to answer few questions from a 1st-time mum), this reflects something ??? about her professionalusm.

ZMM, I won't stop you for going to her (it's yr choice), but I trust my own experience and judgement.

I believe there are many experienced and professional PD around in Singapore.

My Boi also visits Dr Chan, to me, as long as she can cure my boi, its fine with me
happy.gif
and so far my boi always cries when he visit the GP but if he goes to Dr Chan, he will not cry lor.. LOL

SBCC service is quite bad. The nurses there are not friendly and quite pushy. Had an appointment at 8.30pm. Was abit late and reached at 8.40pm. She called us up at around 8.30pm and asked where we were and if we know what is the time now.

Since we were late, we got pushed to the last slot. Saw the doctor (Dr William) at around 9.15pm. My son is having HFMD, but Dr William just merely take a look at his palm and confirmed it's HFMD. Never even bother to check his feet and mouth. Later my son just happened to cough abit and without using the sethescope, he "diagnosed" it as bronchritis. ??!?!?! In short, waiting time 30mins, seeing the doctor, 3mins.

I have been bring our son to see Dr Shermela Appan @ the Children's Medical Centre, Bishan St 12, next to the Posbank for small things - kancheong parents - she has been reassuring and have prescribed the minimum of medicine for our son. Good so far!

Dear Mummies,

I would recommend Dr Terence Tan (kinder clinic, Mount Alvernia). He has been my 8-month-old son's paediatrician since birth .

At the back of my mind, I was tempted to change to another paediatrician as the queue at Dr Tan's clinic is usually very long.However, after my son's hospitalisation last week, I decided to "stick to" him.

At the hospital, Dr Tan was trying to locate my son's vein for the drip but to no avail as my son had too much baby fat. I was prepared to have my son "poked" a few times.

But based on his experience and a bit of luck (according to him), Dr Tan managed to get it in at the first try. Everyone including the nurses was relieved. By the time Dr Tan left, it was already 11pm.

Though it was late, he never failed to ally our fears. It is so comforting to have doctors who can empthatise with us (first-time, kancheong, helpless parents).

Hi meilinbigfoot,

Dr. Tan was also my son's PD, but like you said, the queue is very very long and in the end we usually let him see the PD with the shortest queue.

There was once my son also had to go to A&E and Dr. Tan was called back to the hospital. It was night time and he came rather quickly. He was very reassuring and very detailed in his assessment also.

Anyway thanks for sharing your experience. Now I know if my son needs a jab or to locate his vein, I'll go to Dr. Tan.

Btw, can share what happened to your son?

Dear Blueydoo,

I hope that your son won't need to undergo intravenous therapy. It pains not just the child but also the parents.

My son had an infection to the respiratory tract. He had high fever for a few days and refused to eat or drink. By the time we went to the hospital, he was already dehydrated and coughing badly.

When Dr Tan attended to us, it was 9.30pm. I doubt he came from home; he was probably still working at the hospital. One amah commented that Dr Tan was very hardworking. One will see him early in the morning and also late at night.

hi,

my baby is 3mths old also seeing Dr Shermela Appan now. It was his 2nd visit to see her earlier today, for vaccination. So far my impression is that she is rather patient and detailed.

I brought my baby to see her earlier this week for fever. She spent 20mins with us to throughly check my baby (eyes, nose, mouth, throat, ..) and explained to us that it is more important to find out the cause of the fever than try to bring the temperature down.

Today, she also had patiently performed development assessment and gave him the jabs one-by-one, making sure the baby is comfortable before the next jab (i've opted for 5-in-1, pneumoccocal & rota). She had instructed my maid to distract the baby with the toys that she has in her clinic. And my baby almost didn't cry throughout the vaccinations (he only wailed on the 2nd jab, but stopped right away).

on both visits, i went on weekdays, so the queue was very short.

But the only confusing thing was, she initially discourage us to use paracetamol on the 1st visit (coz it is not good for baby's liver), but did prescribe it on today's visit (most babies might have fever after vaccination). She mentioned that coz baby is now 3 mths old, it safer to use paracetamol. But between our 1st visit and today is only 4 days difference. My only guess is that almost all doctors prescribe fever medicine following vaccination.

i previously visited Dr Woon in Bishan Baby & Child clinic. Not comfortable with him. He just brushed off my questions. (this doctor also gave me paracetamol, baby was 1 mth old then)

When i asked baby why baby pass motion only once every 4 days when i solely breastfeed, but he pass motion everyday if supplemented with formula, Dr Woon just answered: "give him formula then". Asked him about loud snoring, he didnt check and immediately said it's just nose dirt.

But throughout the whole consultation, he spent a lot of time giving bad comments about baby's previous paed from Australia Clinic (Upper Thomson)

But do note that Dr Shermela charges are slightly higher for vaccination compared to others. (but since she's right opposite my place, i saved on cab fee, so wouldn't mind)

he is good but the waiting time kills!!! even with appointment, the average waiting time is abt 1 - 2 hours. his clinic always full.

I bring my daughter to see Dr. Chan and was the PD assigned to her by my gynae.

Recently my daughter (11 mths) was down with UTI and was hospitalized. On a Saturday night at about 11pm, she was admitted and moved to the ward, she came in to look at my daughter and immediately prescribed the treatment.

Upon confirmation that my daughter had UTI, she was sent for kidney scan and was cleared.

I do agree the nurses are rude but i think Dr. Chan is the really not as bad as she was being described.

I bring my son to see Dr Ong Eng Keow, dont like his service. Everything we ask, he refer us to his FAQ New Born baby book (i call him Mr FAQ)... hello i pay for your service and you ask me to read a book?!? not very professional.. the nurses at his clinic are also very slow and not customer oriented..keeping a lookout for a new PD

Hi Mummies,

I'll be delivering my 1st child in Aug and am searching for any good pediatrician in Tampines/Simei. Does anyone has a good & affordable PD in the East area to recommend?

Thanks a lot!

Agreed with Veny on Dr Woon Baby & Child Clinic at Bishan. Wish I have read your thread earlier before visit. He seems to be very mercenary & impatient.

I bought my 3.5yr old boy for the first time to his clinic for his cough problem. I was hoping the PD would also give some good advice on building up my boy immune system.

Dr Woon immediately started my boy on the nebulizer moment after we sat down. He did not even inform me that he's going to use the nebulizer on him. At that time my boy was slightly breathless but not to the point of whizzing. I don't know if the nebulizer was a necessary move.

He also ran down other Doctors who are not PD like him. Kept probing on who was the family doctor.

Throughout the whole consultation, he did not bother to ask me question about my boy's condition like whether he is allergic to any medication, how serious is his asthma or what triggers the asthma (I discovered that he is prone to whizzing if he takes too much chocolate and watermelon)....etc.
He merely brushed off my concerns and acted on what he thought was good. He prescribed SINGULAIR (good for few days) without telling me about the cost or that it is a long-term drug which my boy will have to take everyday to prevent any asthma attack. I found out it cost $3 per pill at the Cashier. This will come to $90 every month on medication alone! I decided not to put him on SINGULAIR coz I heard from friends that it will caused drastic mood change in the child. See this link for more info..
http://pediatrics.about.com/b/2008/03/28/singulair-side-effects-hype-or-hazard.htm

Naturally I did not return to his clinic for a 2nd visit. I think my usual GP was better in many ways.

P/S He told me in a brusquely manner to chuck the medicine away if I do not want to use it on my boy. He did not even ask question or convince me otherwise it is safe. He added there is no refund for unused medicine! So much for PD!

I would recommend Dr Vella from SBCC, Dr Ang Ai Tin from Pediatric clinic at TMC, and Dr Low ?Kah Tzay... Forgotten where is his clinic.. He was a Dr at SBCC TMC.. And have came out to set up his own clinic now...

Details for Dr Low Kah Tzay

Anson International Paediatric & Child Development Clinic Pte Ltd
290 Orchard Rd #13-07 Paragon Singapore 238859
Tel : 6836 2802

Dr. Lim from Kinder Clinic, Mt. Alvernia is really good! Friendly and thorough. He doesn't give too many details so as not to worry parents but gives just enough to inform and allay their fears.

He also has a clinic in East Shore for Eastsiders.
happy.gif

DR WOON at Bishan and Baby Clinic SUCKS SUCKS SUCKS!!!

my usual pd was not opened on Sunday so i brought my son to see him since i'm staying in bishan.

my boy has been having feeding problems.. very lousy appetite and fussy eater.. so i'm hoping that he can give me some probiotics to improve his appetite.

my regular pd recommended a probiotics drop to improve appetite and immune system but this dr woon said thats rubbish... it wont help blah blah and insisted on giving some medicine instead and this medicine will make him SLEEPY most of the time!!!

i seriously dont dare to give my 1 yr old son that medicine.. i want him to eat more... NOT sleep more
sad.gif

can't stand the way he badmouth other pd.. very unethical and not professional!!!

please avoid him at all cause!!!

don't waste your time and money like i did

btw, my fren's boy who is having the same problem is on the same probiotics and has been eating lots ever since!! very very effective and most importantly no sleepy side effects!!

Hello, anyone know where Dr Koh from AMK SBCC has go to? Cos heard he has retired, maybe will set up a clinic later.

hallo mummies,

My girl, 16 weeks by this Fri (30 Jul), had flu at her 10th week, got it from her elder brother, 4yo. From there on, we seen a few PD but didn't see much improvement. Her running nose and cough have stopped, but her breathing is heavy, and has wheezing sound too. She has to sleep with high pillow and non-aircon room, and this has been for 6 weeks now.

Is Dr Chan Kit Yee $ Mt A good for this kind of case? Desperate to look for 1 PD that has higher chance to help my girl. It's too tough for her to be tried on different medicine and continue on nebulizer. She became quite thin now as can't drink properly and sleep properly.

Your suggestion or recommendation will be very much appreciated. Thank you.

Hi brandedfans,
My daughter goes to Dr Rhonda Watt at Mount A. Her clinic is on level B1. She has been seeing Dr Watt since birth and we like her very much. She is very patient, kind and good with kids. On top of that she really listens and gives very good suggestions on things like how to help build good immune system, how to help children eat better ..etc. We found her suggestions very useful and after following her advices and the recommended supplements which she suggests, thankfully my daughter is hardly sick.

In the instance where my girl is sick, she will sparingly prescribe medication. My girl is coming 2 years now and so far has only been prescribed antibiotics once and other medication which is not overly strong.

I would really recommend you bringing your daughter to see her.

Hope this helps
happy.gif

Back