Any comments on Catholic Kindergarten,Kovan

not solve yet, getting another bus operator to help, but not confirm.
How's ur son now? I also wish to know more abt it. Thanks

He has recovered. But he really suffered during the school holidays. He has a lot of ulcers esp near end of throat. I am going to call the school later to check if there are any cases of HFMD.

blueblue,

last yr when my son was in pre-n, we always had notice if there are cases of HFMD. & i notice the morning session class had a no cases of HFMD. but not the 10am session. not too sure why..

& last yr, the school volunteer to close for 1 week to "clean up" (kinda forgot which period. but the period that the newspaper reported)

but this yr, have yet to receive any notice on HMFD.

maybe didnt get from sch??

just the other day, was buying durian, there was this man walking around (also to buy durian) when he obviously had chickenpox!!! was so pissed & scared, quickly take my son & run away far far......

chickenpox still eat durian and go outside. Ha..I would also take my son and run far far..hehe..

Actually when I bought my son to KKH A&E, the doctor say it might be HFMD or it might not be. He never confirmed it. My son don't have any rashes at all on his hands/foot/buttocks though. He has plenty of ulcers esp back of throat. I surf the net and it might be a certain virus (can't remember what it is called) but is a cousin of HFMD. Read that it is still contagious.

Ended up spending his holidays at home. Poor him. I had earlier plan to bring him out everyday.

I called up the school. They told me no case of HFMD this year.

By the way, anyone knows what type of phonics does Catholic kindergarten offer? Does it means parents must sign up for enrichment class?

I am thinking of getting 2 1/2yrs old son into a phonics class. Not sure should I do it now or wait until kindergarten level?

yup zo. He has recovered. It has been a week before he starts school on Monday.

He got a high fever on Monday (start of school holidays) He was so sick he wasn't eating any food or drink water. Very grumpy and lethargic. Now he can even jump and eat
happy.gif

I think he got the virus called Cox something..can get lots of ulcers in mouth but unlike HMFM, there are no rashes on hand/foot.

<font color="aa00aa">i blueblue,

Glad to hear that ur son recovered......I also thinking to get my boy into phonics class, I asked ICR, to me is very expensive. I will cont. to search for other sch. Let me know if you have good lobang, will let you know if I found one.

Cheers</font>

sure..both of us keep a lookout..abt ICR, I read some of the comments that it is not very good. How much do they charge anyway?

I gather that before the age of 3, the school will only teach the sounds of each letter. I see if I can do that myself. He can then proceed to the next level. If he cannot remember it, I think really hv to send him to a class to learn the basics!

Do you know if Catholic kindergarten offers phonics as part of their lessons or outside class hours? I thought it would be a waste of time/money if our children hv to learn second time if phonics is offered as part of the lesson hours.

Perhaps I check with them again tomorrow. I think they will think me as kiasu parent asking them abt K1 when my son is only in pre-nursery..hehe..

<font color="ff6000">Hi blueblue,

Me also one of the KS parent.....hehe. My friend say ICR very good, maybe is for K2 level.

ICR charge abt S$460 per term(wkday, once per wk), I forget how much is the registration fee and material fee. So did you charge whether CK got phonics lessons?</font>

I forgot that my hubby actually works today. We usually fetch our son when he does not work on that day. Thus not able to drop in personally. I actually prefer to ask it in person.

I did ask casually on phone before. Was told that they do offer K1 phonics lessons. I did not ask for further details as the administrator sounded busy.

$460 is even more expensive than the fees we pay to CK. No wonder you mention it is expensive. Frankly speaking, if I am to pay $460, I would rather put my son in a Montessori class. I ever placed my son there when he was 1 1/2. He was able to recite some of the letters sound. A pity I had to pull him out because he kept crying. (parent is not allowed to accompany child)

haha..I suppose u hv planned which primary school to place yr child in?

Lynn,

I've registered my godson for pre-N 2010 at Cat Kindy. I think he'll be in Class B. He may not be starting in Jan10 cos the family is currently located in HK and cannot confirm when they'll be back. Latest by Jun10.

lourdes,

Which pre-N class is your boy in now? Hibiscus A? My boy's in that class.

blueblue,

The price for pre-N has gone up for 2010 cos it's gonna be a 3hr session, just like the N, K1 and K2 classes. They'll have 2 classes running per timeslot. Better that way cos the timings are more coordinated.

Hi vader

No wonder the fee went up for pre-N. Too bad they can't make it 3 hrs for this year. I would prefer 3 hours.

Hi blueblue,

U're right, I had "aim" Ai Tong Liao. Haha. Tomolo I go ask CK abt the phonics lesson. Will keep u update
happy.gif

Hi vader,

My boy in Daisy A. Maybe next yr will be the same class hehe.

<font color="ff6000">Hi,

I had checked with CK, no phonics lesson for Pre-N, only for N. But they introduce reader/simple words to Pre-N kids.

Cheers</font>

Thks lourdes! Does it mean they teach phonics within school hours and not outside school hours? If that's the case, there isn't a need to register them for phonics class outside.

Initially wanted Catholic High but the chances of balloting at Phrase 2B and 2C (below 1 km) is very high. Might not even get in even if within 1km.

So now I 'aim' for Maris Stella High which has a better chance of getting in.

My boy didn't go to school today cos he wasn't feeling well. His form teacher called to inform that there are 2 cases of HFMD from the upper class (prolly K1/K2)........

Hi Blueblue,

Ya, I made mistake, should be 6cases....haha. I already stop bringing my boy to sch, cos one of the case is from his class..... Now I very worried, moreover I going for a short trip with him today.....sigh.....

I also stop my son from attending school today. He's in Jasmine A. His friend in Sunflower A caught the HFMD on monday.

I called up Brenda this morning to ask why yesterday they did not start taking temp and checking their bodies at the entrance of the school. She said it was only yesterday when they see more cases happening then today they start taking temp. I told her they should have started yesterday as monday already have 2 cases. Do u notice that noone seems to be actively cleaning the school even on normal days? Previously my son was in half day childcare, and his childcare was really stringent in terms of cleanliness. There was a cleaner who is constantly cleaning the toilets and the floors.

jave, my son is from jasmine A too, wats ur son name??

they started taking temp today.
happy.gif

&amp; last yr, during pre-n my son had no phonics.. but he enjoyed his school v. much... they start phonics on N level.. doing joy-phonics.

but last yr, during the peak, they did take temp in classroom.. but they expected parents to be responsible &amp; not send their child to sch if sick....

the cleaniness is not as clean as many child-care.. but i tink so far acceptable. no wet area, dirty area... &amp; they clean the toys a few times a week. i've seen b4.. the teachers stay back to do that...
happy.gif

my son still going school.. heez
happy.gif

Sunflower A alone has 4 cases. If my son studies in that class, I will definetly not let him attend school. I will continue to monitor the situation.

Yes, I ever saw the teachers washing toys in a big tub of water so still not too bad.

Thks sarahbb for sharing abt the phonics class. I hv not heard of joy-phonics though. Is
Jollyphonics and joy-phonics the same? they conduct it within the 3 hrs school hours?

Hi Graciouswife &amp; Jane, if you happen to read this forum, i just called up the sch and Brenda said that there is 1 case of HFMD for Daisy B. Think i will keep my boy at home for a couple of days and call up again next week to check.

Hi Hao,

I had not let my girl to school since yesterday..will call the school next week before deciding whether to let her go back or delay...

just yesterday got 2 cases... 1 from sunflower &amp; another from dunno which 1.

oopz! sorry. its jollyphonics. they give u a cd too for learning @ home. and the teacher teaches during class time with homework every friday..

java,
my son is bryan..
happy.gif
i tink i know who is aaron..
happy.gif

My boy went back to school yes'day and today. Think they're not having common assembly with the outbreak of HFMD, so my boy will miss his singing of the National Anthem. Not sure if they still go playground, but I think it's best that they contain the kids from the same class to just their own classrooms.

I was there at 7.55am today and the school is sooo quiet! I peeped into my boy's classroom and I think I only saw 2 kids. I told my HB we "song4 yang2 ru4 hu2 kou3" (sending sheep into tiger's mouth).

Now I wonder if he shld go back next week. *sigh*

i tink e school seems more quiet is cos parents arent allowed inside now, so less messy maybE??

but if my son was from sunshine A i tink i will stop my child from going...

Yes, if my boy is in a class where there's 1 count of HFMD, I'll also stop him from going to school.

1. If he hasn't kena (which no one knows anyway), he may kena from his classmates who may be incubating the virus (no symptoms yet) and still go to school.

2. If he kena already but no symptoms yet, he may go spread to his classmates who hasn't kena.

I read somewhere on the net that HFMD is infectious even during the incubating period (3-5 days before symptoms start to show). That means to say, a kid may have the virus but still does not show signs of fever and blisters/ulcers. He can still be allowed into the school and spread the virus to other kids.

<font color="ff6000">Really feel "heart pain" for those kids that kana. I also monitoring my son. This is a scary virus......</font>

Hi Gracious Wife &amp; Hao

Sorry, I've not been checking this website for ages. Its Hao's mom who told me I got msg.

Just to let you know, I am trying to consolidate a class contact list. If you would like to exchange your contact with the rest of the parents, pls write down your number &amp; email address then pass it to me (Kevin's mom).

Hi Mummies,

I m looking for a kindergarten along NEL to enrol my son to pre-nursery in 2010. Can any mummies tell me what is the fees for pre-nursery next yr? And what is their curriculum? Any mummies let their kids take school bus? What is the rate of sch bus? Thanks in advance.

The HFMD really sounds scary
sad.gif

Hi Lynn,

I've enrolled my boy for Pre-N next year (2010), 8am session too.

oh dear.. the HFMD sounds scary... hope the affected kids have a speedy recovery!

Anyone can share their thoughts or experience on the enrichment classes held at Catholic Kindergarten?

I am also interested in signing up my ds for the enrichment classes but scared that he will be very tired after his nursery class.

Like to know if the enrichment class is good.

Agree. Most likely I will sign up for one and see how it goes.

Just wonder if the sch allows a trial or can I sit in for one session to observe. Think only Brenda can answer :p

My boy is in K1 and attends the Englisg Drama class by Magaret Nonis, Chinese Dara Class by Teacher Yvonne Choo and Drawing Lessons by Teacher Grace. He enjoys them all and yes, these are all good and well qualified teachers.

hi zo, so happy to see u here. Now then i khow got this thread. But still not too late. So, u hv signed up for the EL speech &amp; drama next yr for Zech? Tr Choo said she will arrange for another class in term 2. We shall keep in touch.

hihi mahmmy boy, glad you managed to locate this thread
happy.gif

Btw, blueblue's son is in the same class as our sons :p

Hi zo

Are u the one I talk to abt our sons not being in the same class next year and tat yr hubby prefers to train yr son to sleep earlier in K1? Yr son is Zachary? (sorry not so sure abt the spelling)

Hv u ever seen the children in the chief uniforms? Very cute..

Hi mahmmy boy

I am Chris's mummy. He will be in Rose A next yr. What is yr child's name and which class will he be attending?

Hi,

Have never heard of Catholic Kindergarten before, but am quite interested as I'm Catholic &amp; hope to expose my 15mth old boy to such an environment perhaps when he's a little older.

This is my 1st kid so im quite clueless abt when i shld start enrolling him for pre nursery / nursery etc. Can anyone pls advise &amp; share their experience on an appropriate age to start sending kids for such classes? thks!

Hi blueblue
Yes, my son is Zec
happy.gif
I will switch to morning session most likely in K1. Mahmmy boy's son is the bubbly boy, Joshua. What a small world, our kids are all in the same class
happy.gif

Back