Advise on Baby & Maid Exps

Hi all

I recall someone said that there is a recipe book for maid. Can someone tell me the title and where I can get it? Thanks.

may i do a survey? when your bbies crawl on the floor does he/she collect dust on her hands and knees? mine does, and my maid claims that she mops the floor everyday. even when she jus vacuumed.

valc,
when my maid started work for me 3 mths ago, my dd was already walking, so i can't tell if she collected dust on her hands and knees. however i do know that my maid also sweeps and mops every morning, and by the end of the day ALL our feets are not black-black with dirt or collect dust, etc. and bear in mind i also have 3 cats at home hor...

wow, 3 cats!! do they scratch your daughter? or yourself? i once had a cat who was perpetually scratching me. v v v badly.

valc,
no the NEVER scratch my dd at all. my dd is the terror of the house instead - she will pull their tail lah, sit on them lah, pull their ears lah...very noti! my cats are very mild-mannered lah, cause they are not stray cats, but fully domestic-short haired cats from australia (we had them when we were students there, so we brought them home with us). my dd is especially close to one of them (tiger) and she hugs and kisses him (on his face!) all the time!!
happy.gif

Hi there,
anyone here letting ur maid to take care ur bb at night, do u let them rest in the day? and how is the coping? And if u don't let ur maid look after bb at night can i know why?

Shining - my maid looks after my baby during the day as I am working during the day.(supposed to be working right now!)..but he sleeps with me at night. I take over from my maid once I have showered..and take care of his milk etc all the way until morning. I think babies are close to those they sleep with..and I feel that I have to do my part caring for him. Though I can only spend quality time of 3 waking hours or so per day with my boy - he is very close to me, and quite sticky at times..always jump for joy when I walk through the door..and always chooses me over the maid. Little things like that give me the assurance that I am still impt to him.

Lani,
I lose... I only have 2 cats at home. Haha...

shining,
Same as chin, my maid takes care of my gal in the daytime. When I am home in the evening, I will take over. My gal sleeps with me at night cos I believe that will keep the bond. So far she still like me more than anyone else.
happy.gif

chin & cat_tail,

I agreed that we should look after the bb in the night as I'm a working mum and already so little time with them so in order to keep the bonding must take care them in the night..
***sigh*** but my DH said that since we've a maid why don't we let her take over the night feed etc then we can hv good night sleep as the next we still hv to work and is very tiring if hv to wake up to pump and feed the bb. Instead we let the maid hving good night sleep but we suffered...
I feel that maid also hv to look after my son and bb in the day + all the hse work. if she still do night feeding how can she cope the day work, I feel is fair that she can sleep thru as she also sleep late (11:30pm onward) due to attending to my boy and bb.

Shining..I guess my answer to that is that it is never easy to be a parent. If your maid does everything for the child - night and day - that she may as well be the mother! Sorry if I sound a bit harsh..I mean well -i.e. I have seen cases of my friends' babies preferring their maids over their mummies...it is quite heart breaking for their mummies.

Hi all,
I had interview a ex-sg maid, but she her ex-employer is indian muslim n malay. wondering should i take her...
Any advise please?

Hi ming_liew,
Is the maid from indonasia or philipines? For indo maid if work for previous malay family she can't speak english well as she has communicate with them using their language etc.

HI shining,
Actually she can speak english. But the thing is she only cook malay food. N when i interview her, she seems a bit impatient. even say bye bye to me before i finish my question.. So decided nt to take her..

Hi all,
I've got an INDON maid who has been with us for slightly two months. My sleeping hours are from 9.45/10pm - 6am. She only needs to take care of my bb, breakfast for hb, dinner for myself n hb, as well as the usual housework. During the first counselling, her feedback was that working here is comfortable and "senang".

Yesterday night, I discovered that she din wipe the kitchen floor after dinner. We asked her y and she refused to tell us. Just stayed quiet.

I expressed my anger after my hb left for work as I am really concerned that she could get away without a good accountability. Assured her that if she has a reason not to clean, that's fine and will close the case. She then said that I gave her "Chilli" yesterday and the chilli is hot, so she has stomach upset and hence couldn't clean. And I realized that the "Chilli" she referred to was capsicum (I cooked sweet n sour pork with only pork and green capsicum). I was so shock by this answer. I told her that e capsicum is not spicy at all as they are just vege, not chilli. I suspect that she did not eat the capsicum at all, hence do not know the taste and was just trying to bluff her way through. She probably saw that internal of capsicum and tot that was a big chilli.

I got my hb to confront her just now abt her claim. She still insist that the capsicum is hot. Asked her if her stomach still hurt and she said a little still. Told her that I'm going to bring her see doc tomorrow, she refused repeatedly till my hb put on a stern look and insist. We even told her that we'll buy the capsicum and let her eat in our presence then tell us if its hot. She said dun want n still said its hot. I could not tolerate this lie of hers as its such a stupid and obvious one. She still lie to her teeth despite of the confrontation.

She once broke the bb's slow cooker LED light. Then, quietly use tape to stick back without letting us know. Only admit when we confronted her. And other stuff that she did wrong and did not tell us till we found out ourselves.

What would you do with the capsicum case? I really can't stomach this lie of hers.

Sarah,
I think your maid really has an attitude problem. You should tell her directly that you cannot accept any lies, if she still does not change, then you should consider changing another maid. It is no point facing her everyday and make yourself miserable.

Hi Sarah's mom,

I suggest you threathen to send her back to the agent. To me, lying is unacceptable.

How's her other area of performance? If it's ok - then you may just want to warn her about lying and then lay down your requirements clearly that she has to clean the floor after cooking dinner.

Tamarind/Yuki,
Thanks for yr opinion. As she's been quite a smartie (double edged sword), I chose to give her chance in the past and threatened to send her back if she lied again. Now, obviously she's lying and rightfully, I should send her back. But she's been doing fairly ok (except thoroughness still lacking). I dun know what to do with her as I'm now really upset having to face her. Yet, she has made our life a little easier with the cleaning and initiative. *hiaz*

How do I expose her lie and get her to admit that she din take the capsicum afterall as she din even know abt the taste?

Sarah,
To my experience Indo maid like to lie, steal and will nv report any damage that they done. And when they do wrong thing they will jus anyhow come up all sort of funny reason to cover, and they tongue is so tight that u won't be able to get any truth from them.

Sarah's Mom,
For the capsicum case, u practically got to threaten her. Tell her if she own up her lie, u will let it go this round. If not, u will bring her to a Dr to confirm. And if she bluff, out she goes to the agent. Then physcho her a bit tat the agent will really "take care" of her & send her to a 3 storey bungalow blah blah...Idea is makes her think that she will not have a good life outside.

shining,
Not really all Indo maid are so bad. I actually like my Indo maid better than Phillipino.

Hi Mummies,

My HB insist to get a Indo maid but myself and MIL cannot speak Malay, how hah???? He said Indo more demure.

Any mummies have advise to share how to train Indo maid??

Hi BBRayan,

I dont think Indo more demure. . . dont judge the cover by the looks.

Ask around those who have Indo maid are they more demure and gather the feedback and you make your own judgment, dont forget that you will be in control of the maid most of the time and not hubby.

Thou indo is more "economy in price" but the most important is you must be comfortable with your decision and dont regret it.

My hubby leave it to me to decided as I will deal with the maid more and also I have told my hubby that maid are that stupid so I dont want because of a maid and mess up our relationship or quarrel over maid matters - this like this do happen.

Shining,
Thanks for the insight. I tot she belongs to the minority that lies...I'm contemplating of getting a Myanmar one as without hard fist and maid management experience, may not be able to handle Filipino.

Cat_tail,
I was quite tempted to use yr method. But realized that I dun have the patience to communicate with her this way. Planned to bring her see doc, but too busy with errands and work. today. Also, bringing her to see doc will only expose part of her lie, or not afterall. Doc will not be able to diagnose any abnormacy in her stomach thru general consultation. Anyway, with the diagnosis, it will not change my opinion of her.

After making the decision of changing her, felt a little sad...She is pretty good a worker, if not for her personality. Lotsa initiative. And a fashion advisor to me. *hiaz* My tolerance level towards lying is esp. low coz she is responsible to take care of my bb. If she's not honest, I would always have fear in putting my bb with her. Well, next concern is...will I end up having a new maid with another set of problem?

BBrayan,
Unless you could find an indon maid that speaks english, yr family will have difficulty putting things across to her. You have to work closely with her everyday, n round the clock. If none of u could communicate with her, there will be lotsa of disappointment, misunderstanding and frustration as she will not be able to meet yr demand.

Hi Sarah's mom and all,

As i read your postings, i see myself very much in you. My Indo maid has been with me for coming 5 mths. I'm a first time employer and very recently i also have this dilema of whether to change my maid. i'm still in a confused state now.
i do value the gd points of her, some examples are she's clean & hygienic, not vain, very careful when handling things, not those rough type, not greedy and her english is good.
however, thru these 5 mths, we have also noticed that she don't really have much initiatives, forgetful, don't follow instructions at times, don't know how to play with my boy and the thing that bothers us most, lies and stories.
the reason why i kept procastinating to change is becos i have to spend time to re train the new maid, and i'm fearful that i will get a "worse" maid. and surprisingly, i already have some feeling towards her, as in when my hb wanted to send her back to agent yesterday, i actually felt sad and a bit lost.

with regards to your capsicum case, i fully understand what you're feeling. i can identify with that cos there were many times when i asked my maid qns and she just kept quiet and she can be quite insistent in whatever reasons she provides.
shining is so right abt when they do wrong things, they will come up with funny reasons or stories and its very difficult to get the truth from my maid. in fact i also find her reasons hilarious, sometimes dun know whether to laugh or cry.
so seriously speaking sarah's mom, i'm in the same boat as you. your case will be better than mine cos at least yours is only for 2 mths.
hope to get some advise from here.

Hi Sha_987 & Sarah's mom,

Tks for the advise, I am still trying to figure out the best solution. Think shld ask my hb to let me decide who to get.

I ask from the agent a Indo christian who can speak a bit eng but till now no news. Going to the agency tomolo, hope to get someone there.

By the way, do you all prefer married w kid or single maid???

Ribena,
Thanks for sharing. Dishonesty is a no no esp. for family with very young kids. They couldn't express themselves and will not be safe with such kind of maid.
Have you sent back yr maid? My agent will collect her either the coming Monday or Tuesday. I distanced myself from her today due to lost of respect towards her integrity, as well as feeling a lil guilty for the decision. Esp. when Hari Raya is around the corner and not sure if she could find an employer here. Also, she was trying really hard to make it up by being extremely industrious and pro-active.

BBRayan,
If yr hb is looking for a "demure" maid. You might also like to consider Myanmar ones. I've received a lot of good feedback abt them. General feedbacks are very gentle, timid, hardworking, patient, fast learner, honest and good sense of hygiene. Wow, almost all the qualities we are looking for in a maid. Speak better English than inexperienced indon too.

Mommies,
Anyone who has/had Myanmar maids? Hope you could share with us your experience. Thanks.

HI all,
Did your hear that now we must give off day or $20 more to your maid if no off day. I got an agent who insist on doing that even according to them the rule will only come after 15 sept?
I quit like thier maid but i wondering why this agent must do that..

ribena,
sorry to hear about your maid. i can understand your apprehension in changing her cos it's really like taking a gamble, you'll never know if you'll get a better or worse one. but i agree with sarah's mom, i wont be able to tolerate dishonesty especially since there're young kids around.

Sarah's mom,
My Myanmar maid has been with me for 5 mths already. After reading some of the "horror" stories here, i appreciate my maid better even though she's not perfect.

Some of the qualities you've mentioned are true for my maid. Gentle, timid, hardworking, patient, honest.
Not quite true about speaking better English. Yes, most of them are better educated and have studied english in school. But because of the lack of exposure to the language and practice, the initial months are v difficult. She can read simple english but i had difficulty understanding her cos she can't articulate her thoughts. Likewise, she could not understand my accent and i think i probably spoke too fast. So the problems started because she either couldn't understand some of my instructions and dunno how to ask / clarify or maybe too timid to ask.
Her english is better now. She can read to my son after hearing me do it but i still have to correct her pronunciation every now and then.

My maid had no experience when she came. Everything had to teach her from scratch. So there were many frustrating moments because what seems natural and easy to us didn't seem so to her. But the good thing is that she has got v good attitude, willing to learn, will not show black face when you tell her off. I had the luxury of staying at home full time for 4 mths before gg to work so that was enough to train her.

Now that she knows my requirements and has gotten the hang of how things work in my house, she has been a great help. Most importantly, i can tell that she truely has a soft spot for my son. i've told her right from the start that her priority is to ensure the well-being of my boy. While i do expect accidents to happen eg knocks and grazes, she has to be truthful to me if it happens. If she lies and something serious happens to him, she'll get sent home immediately. She takes my words seriously cos i can tell that she got really scared when my boy fell from the sofa and cut his lips. Luckily it was just a superficial cut. i didn't scold her cos she admitted that it was her negligence without my asking and she seemed even more traumatised than him. i'm glad that she's honest about it and didn't choose to give excuses about how it happened since i wasn't home when it happened.

But of course, she isn't perfect. She functions best with routined work. Throw her in a new situation, she needs time to adjust. i guess this has got to do with the pace of life over at her home country.

On the whole, i'm glad that as a 1st time employer, i didn't end up having a difficult maid to handle. In the initial months, i also wondered if she's the right maid for me. Luckily i persevered and was patient with her cos i could really tell that she has good attitude. it's just the environment and culture that she needs time to adapt to.

But then again, not all Myanmar maids are that good also. Every nationality has their fair share of good and not so good maids. My neighbour, having seeing how hardworking mine is, decided to get a Myanmar maid also. But the one she chose gave her so much problem plus she didn't have the time to train her so she sent her off.

Babygrace,
Thank you for taking the time to share with us in great details. Really appreciate...
Like Emma, could you let me know which agency did you go to?

Btw, need to clarify that when I said better English, I meant relatively better than fresh Indon maids. Also, according to a Myanmmar maid I spoke to, try look for graduates as they could speak better English. Yah, they could write and read better than their spoken.

Like babygrace, I appreciate good and postive attitude, besides honesty. As long as she is willing to learn, I will be more than happy to teach and allow her learning curves. And as long as she's honest and patient, I will be able to entrust my bb to her without much worry.

Babygrace,
Questions: how old is yr maid? Single or Married? If married, any children? Any related experience in Myanmmar? Qualification level? Any day off?
Just visited some agencies, but most Myn Maids prefer to have off days..

hi babygrace
Do you get to interview the myanmar maid? My agency told me that there is no way I can interview them and I dont want to select them based on the piece of paper only.
Thank

hi ming liew, I just called some agency, maid who arrive after 15th Sept will get 1day/mth off after working few months else employer can give them $20 per mth inlieu of the leave.

Hi Babygrace, can share the agency, charges and Myanmar maid salary? Pls PM me if not conV to share openly...

Hi ming liew, the agency I called told me it applies to maid who arrive after 15sept. If you apply for maid now, think it takes a 3weeks to 1 mths so your new maid gets the leave or $20 in lieu.

Hi ladies,

me getting a maid to look after my newborn and will be leaving both of them to my mum when I work, can share with me?

1) PH or ID or Myanmmar better?

2) my sis say single maid better but I worried no experience in child care. but married maid with children might missed their kids?

3) salary for Myanmmar maid, any specific agency or all the agency can help to get Myanmmar maid?

4) u have any experience with maid ex-experience with Hong Kong, Taiwan owner?

5) New maid better or transfer maid?

6) How's the cooking skill for New maid.

lb, ming liew,
hv u checked what is mom's official policy? i'm wondering abt this pt too, cos my maid will most likely arrive around 15 sept.

lb,
my personal opinion:
1) don't mind any country. my mum was ftwm, so i had maids in the house since pri sch. while there r some cultural differences, i had more problems with behaviour issues not related to cultural differences, e.g. i've had maids fr both ph or id who lie, who sneak out at night to be with their bf etc.

2) no particular preference. my previous maid (the one i engaged myself) has a child, but i dun think she's so homesick she's incapable of functioning. those maids that my mum engaged r also the same, few had it so bad that it affects their work.

3) no experience.

4) no experience, bcos i tend to put those with recent hk or tw experience on lower priority. while i appreciate their ability to speak dialects, cook etc, i also think i will encounter pay problems after the trial period is over, bcos those countries give much higher pay n hv day offs, amongst other benefits.

5) new maid bcos i hv a newborn. if i dun hv a newborn, i wun be as particular.

6) usually, not much, unless they hv worked in families where they r responsible for cooking. i usually expect the married ones n those with experience to at least know the basics of cooking, e.g how to fry, how to cook rice etc, but if there r dishes i like to eat, i normally will teach them fr scratch n give them a few days to repeat what i teach.

Emma & LB,
i've PMed u the contact.

Sarah's mom,
your settings don't accept PM. maybe i can email u instead?

My maid is 25 yrs old. Single. A graduate with nursing experience. but can discount the nursing experience lah cos i think the standard is rather low and depends on their job scope. i know mine spent some time in the emergency dept and had to pack dead bodies to mortuary sometimes. Not quite relevant in child or bb care.
But she has younger siblings so still got a bit of childcare experience.

As for whether they get homesick or not, i think it depends on individual. mine had been staying in the hospital hostel, working and studying part-time for her degree. So she's used to not be at home. She doesn't feel homesick. in fact she told me that she wants to continue working for me after this contract ends cos she wants to see my boy grow up.

I interviewed her over the phone. not quite useful cos she could only say "yes, maam" most of the time. Could not rather understand some of my questions. But still i insisted to the agent that i wanted to interview so i called the agent over the other side at my own costs.

Maid's salary is $320 per mth without off day. Agency fee is more expensive for myanmar maids. mine was $488 for a lump sum loan payment. And the loan amt for myanmar maids are also quite high cos i heard that they need to pay quite a lot for their passport etc. My maid's loan is $2400.

Babygrace,
My email addy is [email protected]. Thanks.

Is your maid good looking? Saw some bios today and tot some of them look gorgeous. Their looks are quite diversified. Am in a dilemma..If I choose a good looker, pple might mistake her as my ma'm. As for not good looking ones, my gal has to face her everyday and I worry that she might bear lil resemblance of her over time.

hi sarah's mom,
its good that you have decided to go ahead and change your maid
happy.gif
something which i hasn't made up my mind yet. sigh.
yes i agree with you that we shouldn't tolerate dishonesty, i guessed its becos time n time again we have talked to her and forgo those lies, she probably thinks we will just bypass it again. We're still monitoring her, hoping for one more last chance that she will really improve. If realy all else fails, then i guess i have to put my fear aside and go for a change.
Has your new maid arrived? do keep us dated on your new maid, maybe it will lessen my worries..
happy.gif

hi bbgrace
happy.gif

its nice to "see" you again. hmm..maybe i shld consider Myanmmar ones. do u mind if you share your agency contact with me? i hve checked my agency's website and unfortunately they don't provide Myanmmar maids.
well your efforts paid off
happy.gif
i always believed in if training your maid right, you will get a lot of help n relief, of course must have positive attitude and willing to learn heart, if not no matter how patient or how we teach, also no use.

och,
The agent told that the policy come out after 15 sept. They dun want to create conflict so must ask us to pay..

As for maid choice, i prefer experience and married. Since i speak malay, i will pick indonesian.

I dun chose those with experience in tw, hk or saudi arabia because i think it's much different life styles and i dun speak dialact at home.

sarah's mom and ribena,
Sent the contact to you already
happy.gif

My maid is quite pretty but more on a darker side. i think she looks more indon than burmese. i agree that the myanmar maids' looks are quite diversified. Some are more fair-skinned. Actually my maid didn't look very pretty in the photo, in fact she looked quite stern, so i was quite surprised to find a pleasant looking one when the agent sent her over.

ribena,
since you're a SAHM, maybe can consider getting a myanmar maid and train her from scratch. you're right, it all depends on the attitude of the maid.

Hi everyone,

I'm currently looking for an Indonesia maids. Anyone here got their maids from Sinar Mas Employment Agency? Want to know is their service good and whether they are reliable. Or any reliable agency to recommend?

Many thanks.

Hi Mummies,
Need some help on this issue.
How does the Indo maid remit the money back to Indonesia? Can we do it on their behalf?

cat_tail,
i do it at those remittance companies. there is one at my place in tampines central, so it's quite convenient for me. and my maid doesn't do it, instead i do it on behalf of my maid. i think most employers actually do it on their maid's behalf.

Hi Babygrace...

I m contemplating to hire a Myanmar helper for my NB...an acquaintance told me tat Myanmar maids r very gd...do u mind if u cld PM me yr agency contact...does yr agency offer free replacemt...

I m oso tinkin of a Filipino helper instead of an Indonesian...tho I hv heard many comments tat
Filipinos tend to b more demandin...the qlity of Indonesian maids seem to b deterioratin...I interviewed a trf maid (out of curiosity_ b4...her English comprehension really "cannot make it"...I was advised by tis acquantance to get a Filipino fm a rural area...as they tend to commuicate better n practice better hygiene...for a NB...

Back