Advise on Baby & Maid Exps

Piglet, my maid will use the wash clothes last rinse water to scrub the kitchen floor...cos after cooking v dirty...

Tinklebell, I don't remember having to submit my tax returns to the agency lei...ask them before you give...

Mrs Wong, thanks.

I agree with u on the utensils. I was advise by my friend to have separate set for her which I don't understand why. I mean, if they are afraid of hygiene issue, isn't it worse when we eat out and don't know who with what illness has used the utensils before..

Some people also don't allow the maid to open the wadrobe and thus they have to keep all the clothes themselves. With such restrictions, I find that I still have to do a lot of "picking up" after her...then what's the point of having a maid..

Tch, my maid keeps our clothes into our wardrobe. No point having a maid if you still need to pick up after her..haha...

I trust my maid. I believe they are also human, they also want our trust.

When my maid arrive, I told her we will trust her until we find she did something bad, then no chance, send her back to Indonesia immediately.

So I trust her 100% and am very happy with her.

Of cos must remember to treat your maid well. Bring her out occasionally, but her some things occasionally. It's v sad they leave their family and kids to work here so we must become their second family and they will love us back just like their family (and treat the kids well)...

My maid treat my nephews like her own kids...notty I tell her to scold and can beat their hands, no worries. Discipline in children must be upheld by every adult at home, including the maid, so she has the authority to scold and punish them also...

tinklebell..

i did submit my tax returns to my maid agency. i got a maid onli recently. i understand from my agent that as long as either u or hb's tax returns shows an earning of $30K.. 1 is suffice.. or combine of 30K.. then both are required.

another alternative is to give ur agency copy of ur letter of appointment with ur company & oso 6 mths cpf contribution. but this will mean going thru manual submission.. n take abt a week for approval.

Mrs Wong,
My maid has been with me for the past 19 months & will be going back on Aug 31. I wanted to extend her as she has done a great job with my kids, but she wants to get married.

She's clean, patient, thrifty and honest. When it comes to shopping, we go out as a family. Maids are human and it's important to treat them well.
As for clothes, she will keep in the cupboard for my kids only, as I still want to have my privacy of things in my master bedroom.

Janet,

It's sad when a good maid wants to return home. You should keep in contact with her. After she settles down and when she wants to come back and work again, you can bring her over to work when she wants.

My aunt did this and her maid came back after giving birth to twins, she has been back for 5 years already. My aunt lets her have holidays for 2 weeks in Indonesia (coincides with their family vacation).

I agree must treat them well. Even my dog knows how to treat my maid well, she will kiss my maid first thing in the morning...heehee...

hi,
me new to this thread and a new maid employer.. just got my maid about 3 weeks now, a transfer, filipino..

so far ok, but i guess early to tell...

i let my maid enter our MBR but i do lock some impt stuff up. we do not have a safe tho, and i would find it diff to always lock and take out some jewellary i use regularly...

like some rings and braclets... do u think its alrite to leave in a box? i use every other day , so if missing i would know.. i am not sure, but being 1st timer thot i can ask u gals here
happy.gif

sharon,
since my baby has not arrived, my hb and i still eat out at times and maid is with us, so we do not wish to restrict where we go, and she has come with me to Jap rest, chinese rest etc... i usually ask her what she like and she would chose either rice or noodle, then I help to order for her...

tch,
i also have same prob. hb dun feel secure about leaving maid alone at home, but cant be help. i have to still work.. so wat i do is to ask my mum to help pop by now n then if she can. if not i have to call back and give her some instructions, make sure she is at home..
anyone have any advise?
I want to trust her and she also be mature adult.. until the baby comes, she is rather free in afternoons. we cant always control what she does....

Butter8,
You can put your jewellery somewhere your maid don't know. Strictly forbid her to open any cupboards or drawers without your permission.

One mommy suggested putting the house key in an envelope and seal it, but let the maid know where it is. If you find that the key has been used, you will know that the maid has gone out.

If possible try to arrange for an elderly to supervise the maid everyday.

My friend's baby boy is taken care by her maid alone. She must be very careful to be nice to the maid, for fear that she will do something to the baby. She even has to bring the maid with her whenever she travels, since she is worried that the maid will not like to be left at home.

sharon,
We bring our maid to all sorts of restaurants, including Japanese. I will give her a choice of what she can order, usually the cheapest. Don't let her order what she wants !

Butter8/Tamarind,
So far i haven't bring her out yet,scare her after tasted the restaurant food will became choosy liao. anyone can share..

Tamarind
I got no choice have to leave my BB alone with de maid.No MIL/Mother to help me..

Sharon, I bring my maid out with us to restaurants. Usually I will ask her what she wants to eat, rice or noodles, then we will order for her.

My maid is v simple and she will help me save $. Sometimes we are busy doing other things and no time to cook lunch, I will give her $ to buy food for me and herself. She usually buys the cheapest food in the market for herself: S$1 vegetarian beehoon with not much ingredients. I told her she can buy anything, chicken rice or noodles, etc, but she say expensive and don't wanna waste our $.

If you are worried about leaving the maid alone with bb, you can install a camera at home so that you can monitor the maid from work.

hi
I am intending to renew my maid for another 2 years. Her contract ending this dec. As the maid agency has wind down what are the procedures and the new salary or laws to follow for indo maid?

Thks

tamarind,
ya agree, i better tell her which drawer to avoid. since she came, she helped packed all our cupboards, so i didnt say cannot touch. now better highlight...
today she will be home alone all the way cuz we both have to work late...

so far, i think she never go out, cuz we didnt tell her if there is housekey anywhere. but next time, i ever consider give her, so she can walk my doggies...?? bad idea?

mrs wong,
do u know any good but simple camera system? we checked some out - very sophisticated type, so expensive about $2K+++

Bought 4 of two different type of camera to monitir maid but later realise that i used 2 only so i am selling them off at the price i bought.

Type 1:
Wireless camera to monitor your maid and record in your video recorder and play back when you reached home.

The camera is small black one like the one you can see from Sim Lim.

Features:
Size 715X60X200mm
1. Antenna
2. AV Line
3. Camera transmisitter 1.2G
4. DC X12V/500ma power adaptor

$85 negotiable

Type 2:
I have one put in my bedroom. Whenever the maid comes in my room(motion),it will start recording. My hubby also put one inside the car facing the front. Whoever try to scratch your car, their doing will be recorded.

Features:
- record VGA/QVGA image size and play: for
monitor/DVR viewing & playback.
- motion detection/continous recording
- ccompact and portable
- built in falsh memory 128MB
- act as hidden camera as it does not look like a camera
- 4X AA battery/DC 12V adapter power
- multi angle setting
- built in VGA resoltion CMOS camera
- NTSC/PAL selectable
- Built in flash memeory 64MB
- Live view while recording

Selling at $480.

Interested call 9047 3694 oe email me at [email protected] as I seldom come in.

Thanks.

ginger

This is the schedule for my maid.

<center><table border=1><tr><td>
mime_msexcel.gif

Daily schedule.xls (17.9 k)</td></tr></table></center>

Jo(bliss)
your maid same as my previous maid. change another new maid 2 to 3 weeks ago. hope you are not taking my previos maid cos I sent her back to agency and they found her a new owner. what is your maid name?

Amz, my mum gives the maid an angpow if she has done well during her 2 years here.

The previous maid was v good and my mum was v reluctant to let her go, but she wants to go back and look after her ill son.

My mum gave her S$500 cash and bought 1 gold necklace and 1 gold anklet (for her son).

My mum visits them at her home town on alternate Saturdays now as she is doing missionary work there
happy.gif

Hi Mummies
Haven't been 'visiting' this thread for some time..

sharon
Did bring my maid to eat jap food (the one at Marina Sq, the new one with the special ice-cream). Let her choose her meal and dessert. Since she had been working hard taking care of my twins, figure it's a reward for her lor.
The other day when she is off, gave her $10, told her it's for her lunch and dinner, think she happi lah...
We dun normally bring her out with us.

For daily meals, stimes she cooks (my mum buys the raw ingredients from market for her), stimes she buys lunch, I put petty cash in a box and tell her to take from there.

Amz
Me also thinking of giving her 'year-end bonus'..

Mrs Wong
U think $50 to $100 is ok or not??? That aside, I think my maid is rich by their country's standards... haha... cos she has worked here for many years...

tch
We never separate the utensils leh, cos my maid is v clean, she will wash everything thoroughly. In fact wat we eat she eats. But she is usu v auto one, wl let us eat first, then she eats even when we ask her to.
But she has her own cup and she only uses her that cup.

hi, Mrs Wong &amp; styloBB, me thinking of giving her bonus as well but because she didn't meet some of my expectations, i was thinking S$80 since this is her first year and also this was what I gave her for her birthday in Jan... - is this amount too little? I am a bit 'niao' when it comes to this as I have been particularly unhappy recently, so worried that I put her maid with auntie every weekday now; so don't want to give her the wrong message if i give her 200-300 (my original intention)...

need some help here, pls advise me...tks!

amz, if u r unhappi wif ur maid, then dun give her d bonus lor. if u give, then she might get d wrong idea.

I agree with Vone. Only give if you are satisfied with her performance. Not satisfied, no point giving at all.

By right, they are not even suppose to get any bonus. So any bonus, regardless of amount will rewarding them already.

Stylobb, I think it's the thought that counts lor.

My mum's maid help save alot of water and electricity, plus she v hardworking so my mum reward her more since my mum also got pay raise and v high bonus ma...it's like sharing what we have with them
happy.gif

Just give whatever you are comfy with...S$10 to them is ALOT already!

Amz
As wat Mrs Wong says, $10 is a lot already.. I feel beta to start with a reasonable amt otherwise they keep expecting to get $$ from us.. and we feel obliged on our side that we must give them. So long we treat them well, I feel we are doing our part. Dun want to end up with this unspoken expectation that everytime / year must give 'bonus' ..

styloBB, my mum only give when the maid is going home. Christmas, CNY she will also get some bonus to buy presents for her family and send back.

When we do spring cleaning, my mum also allow the maid to pick out whatever she like to keep or send back home
happy.gif

cheerful mum..

my former maid - Siti Cholipah. Is she the one u send back?

now having a new maid.. she is pretty good so far. very polite.. my whole family like her. imptly, my eldest son like her. 2nd day she was with me, she helped to clean up my room. my hb kept telling me she did a good job. takes initiative to clean up the fan even when i didnt ask her to clean. she doesnt use water from last rinse to wash toilet floor or wat.. but she doesnt waste much water. will oso off the electricity once not in use. unlike my previous one.. can keep telling me she forget this.. forget that.. n leave the lites on.. water running.. tell lies! thats wat i hate most!

jo,

so happy for you! at least now you can relax a bit hor, and use your time to spend with your 2 boys instead of stressing over the maid...
happy.gif

lani..

yah. in a way relax abit liao. BUT.. do u gals have such problems with ur maid? mine will off the lites when she sleeps at my place. last nite was the first nite she stays at my parents' hse, n she didnt off the lites at all! b4 i left my mum's place last nite, it was onli 8pm+, she oredi asked me if she can take her shower? i told her yes she can.. but b4 tt, she hv to fold the clothings first.. n she guai guai fold then go shower onli at 10+. one last thing.. any experience tat the maid will onli listen to mdm n sir? when left at our parent's place.. they dun realli listen to them..

vone..

have oredi brief her on my hse rules on the first day she was with me.. at my place.. she will hv to listen to hb n i.. at my mum's place, listen to my parents n sis.

I would like to ask from those who has a maid from Indonesia that has no experience in working in other country. Do you have a language problem with them? I tried to speak with them over the phone and realised that they could not even understand very basic English. My husband and I do not speak Malay. I foresee that there will be serious communication problems that will result in misunderstanding and conflicts. The agent kept telling me that I will just need to give them smoetime and they will pick up our langauge very fast? Is this true? How do you cope with this problem initially then?

Thanks in advance for you advice.

BabyC: My last Indo maid had experience in Saudi but spoke no English when she came. I went to buy 2 English-Indo/Indo-Eng dictionaries and gave one to her and kept one for myself. I also got another book on daily bahasa indonesia conversations and learned how to speak simple bahasa indo. I wrote her timetable of chores in bahasa indo as well and got a fren (Malaysian))to help me write out the rules of the house. After she arrived I spent a few nights teaching her simple English. She has already left last weekend to go home (contract ended). She really did pick up English quite quickly and she even learned Mandarin!

BabyC,
If you get a maid with no experience, you will need to have a lot of patience. No matter how smart she is, she will take at least a couple of months or more to learn English. Furthermore you need a lot of patience to train her to take care of baby, cook and clean.

If you are worried about communication, why don't you get an experienced maid ? Their salary is only a little higher. My current maid has about 4 years of experience before she started working for me. Her English is very good, and she is very good at taking care of newborn babies, toddlers. She has helped me tremendously from the first day she arrived at my house.

You can try to look for those transfer maids who have worked for at least 2 years in Singapore, and has valid reason for changing employers. Make sure she has worked for a Chinese family. If she worked for other races she may not be familiar with Chinese customs. I was looking for a maid to take care of my father, and found some good transfer maids, but they are always snapped up by other employers very quickly. Try www.netmaid.com.sg, click Search Maid, select Transfer. Another advantage is that their maid loan will be very little or none, so you don't have to pay so much money upfront. Best thing is you can get the maid within 1 week. For maids in Indonesia you can wait up to 1 month if they have no passport.

Unless you are those type who are very patient and have a very good temper, getting an experienced maid really saves you a lot of trouble.

Hi Kris and Tamarind

Thank you so much for your sharing.

Tamarind: Yes, I would very much like to get a maid with experience because I won't have much time and patience to train. However I'm looking at Christian maid and there are hardly any especially if they are experience. I'm open to Filipino Chatholics maid but I'm afraid that I can't handle them since they are generally more bold.

Furthermore I need the maid to look after my newborn girl and 2 years old boy. My mother-in-law will be staying with us during weekdays to help out. I may consider putting my son in playgroup/ half-day childcare or even full day child care if they can't cope.

If you are in my shoes, what would you pick?

jo, then u might wan 2 tell her abt d rules again. in addition, tell her abt wat she did wrong at ur mum's plc, give specific egs so tt she can't act blur.

vone..

i didnt go thru the rules with her again. but was quite happy that she took initiative to do up some chores that i didnt list in her daily schedule. further to that, my sis casually asked her abt the lite thingy.. explained to her how expensive W&amp;E is in spore.. she understood. even said sorri to my sis. at least she admit to her mistakes. even told my sis to tell her if she does anything wrongly! wanted us to teach her mandarin oso. round of applause!

my parents are pretty protective over her. my bro wanted to loan my maid to his place to help with some cleaning.. my dad said No. told my bro, my mum like this maid very much.. her daily work is oredi quite alot.. dun stress her out. my parents are so afraid my maid will run away n leaves me with trouble to look for another one all over again..

besides the few mistakes she did n she admitted to it. we are pretty comfortable with the way she do things.. dun hv to tell her much on the chores.. she does it automatically.. b4 7am, she oredi sweep n mop the floor.. n its dry somemore.. at nite, when all of us retire to bed.. she sweeps the floor. in fact, my mum was telling me.. maid sweeps the floor a few times daily.. make sure its clean for my son to run abt.

for a fresh maid like her.. no prior experience at all.. its realli worth doting on. teach her once how to change my bb's diaper.. she automatically attend, check n change. after which she will tell me she oredi change the diaper. gives me a peace of mind to do my things at my place while leaving her at my mum's place to accompany my dad to hospital.. help my mum with hsework n to take care of my eldest son..

BabyC,
Not all filipinos are bold. Look for those who have worked for a Chinese family for 3 - 4 years, and supervised by elderly or SAHM. Don't get those who work for expats. If that family say good things about her, she should be OK.
If you get a good maid, she should be able to take care of a 2 year old and a newborn under your MIL supervision with no problem. This is exactly what my current maid is doing. Before she worked for me, she used to take care of 2 young children and a baby all alone at home, and still had to cook and clean. Just keep changing until you find a good maid.

Jo,
It's nice to know that you get a fresh maid you are happy with. Not everyone is lucky enough to get a fresh maid who can work, my neighbour changed 3 maids, still cannot get a good maid.

hi ladies

I need some help here. I got a maid on the 1st of this month and she is pretty good. Thought of seding her and baby to my mum when we go to work but then my MIL now wants to take care of her. Can I return the maid to the agency?

pebbles,
You can check your agency contract whether you can return a maid within 30 days. If it is not written then you should be able to return her. Have you paid the $2000 maid loan ? If you have, you need to check with the agency whether this is refundable.

tam..

i have problem with my first maid, 1 with 2yrs experience.. working in a big hse in spore.. it was realli a big headache! simply lazy n onli know how to eat.. n do things the short cut way. no initiative n at the end ran away.. got the cheek to tell the agency i hit her! damn pissed!

was realli lucky to get hold of current one. but still she is onli here less than a week.. still need more time to observe her.

Jo,
If getting an experienced maid, it is best to get one who has worked with a family as similar as yours as possible. So if you stay at HDB, best to find one who worked in HDB. Those working in households with 2 maids usually have lesser workload. In my case, my maid single-handedly took care of 2 young children and one baby before, so she can take care of my 2 kids with no problem.

Getting a fresh maid is like buying lottery because you have never seen the maid before.

tam..

yah, now i learn my lesson. i see my former maid.. oso see till very "bu shun yen".. cos she like to stare at me when i talk to her.

current one will chat with my family.. we even allow her to take dinner together with us.

Hi all, Advise needed here.

My maid is here for about 10 days. I have no major complain about her. In fact, she learns fast and also takes initiative to do things that I don't ask...not lazy at this point in time cos she will always keep herself occuppied.

However, she is very slow in her work. I have no problem with this now. But I worry how is she going to cope after my twins are borned. Though my mum will be at home to take care of the babies, her help to care for babies will still be required from time to time. How to make her work faster? Have told her about it a few times already.

I wouldn't want to change her cos I think she is quite good already.

tch,
One way is to write a detailed timetable and give her a time limit to finish every chore. For example, give her 30 mins to mop the whole house, 45 mins to iron all the clothes. Observe and see whether her action is slow, or she stop and think before doing something. Teach her the fastest way to do things. I got one ex-maid who was very slow. For example, when she filled up the hot pot with water, she will try many times to make sure the water came exactly to the mark. The same thing happened when she fill the rice pot with water when cooking rice. I told her to measure roughly can already, don't need to be too accurate. But that maid was quite stupid, taught her many times still don't get it.

Back