Advise on Baby & Maid Exps

dear mummies, i recently sent my maid back to indonesia because she stole my money, make out with few bf while taking care of bb, stole my clothes etc. i just got a transfer maid from agent but she is hopeless. she let bb (17months) play with sharp pencil and panadol!!! my bb goes to half day nursery and my daughter 5+ goes whole day. both me and hubby working. no one at home except for the cameras. i would appreciate if anyone has a reliable maid to transfer. i'd be happy to give a day off a month in half a year's time when bb turns to 2. please help. thanks.

Hi mummies

last friday i caught my maid stealing my money. she opened my bag and took the money from my wallet, while I was in the room watching TV. I found my money after i did a body search. She hid the money in her bra, thinking I will not touch that area. I went through her belongings and found $600 cash, and her salary is only $340.
Can someone advise how i can report to MOM and blacklist her? do i need a police report?
Thanks

Snowball,
Oh dear! Has your maid finished the loan? If yes, should report her to police!! $600 is a lot of $$ and also do blacklist her to MOM and Tam's blog.

This kind of maid can steal $$ when u are around...what kind of person she is!!

Hi KC

Spoken to her just now, she hoped that i can give her a 2nd chance. She has returned the money to my mum and me. she has been with me for 10mths, and can take care of my 2 boys. So, i am thinking if I should give her another chance.
On the other hand, if she were to steal again, I am sure she will be extra careful. So, now I make sure i only have little cash in my wallet.
Did anyone of you give your maid a second chance?

Snowball, I will nv keep a maid who steals. If she can do it when u r around, what more if u r not at home?!? She's indeed one daring maid. U shld send her off soon without informing her. If I'm not wrong, u have to make a police report in order to black list her as MOM needs evidence. Btw, she's a filipina or Indonesian??

efg

she is an indonesian. In general i think she is quite a good maid, so i will be giving her a 2nd chance. Its a risky decision. I told her if i caught her stealing again, i will send her to the police station.

Hi Snowball,

U are one terrific employer! For me, i will never give her another chance...i will report her to the police as $600 is not a small amount. Also will have her blacklisted with MOM so she cant work in SG anymore.

If i am working in a company and steals the petty cash of $600, i dont think my boss will give me another chance.

Furthermore, I will be very wary about her all times which will be very tired too. And in future, if $$ is lost, I will definitely suspect her too..

If she steals food or clothings, i still can give her another chance. Not on $$, expensive items or jewellery lor.

Snowball, I agreed with KC! Even if she steals again, I believe she will be more careful the next time round.. Do reconsider, there are always more better maids out there.

snownall, my maid also stole cash (couple of hundreds) and clothes from me. she also used the stolen money to buy a handphone which costs $259. she has few boyfriends as well. i did not report mine to the police but sent her home straight. i am gonna blacklist her on tamarind's blog.
i think u should not give this maid another chance. mine was also a good worker but at the end of the day, if she dares to steal, she dares to do anything. if u keep her, she knows that she is so good that u just can't leave without her. give her the boot!

Sball,

Wow....your maid is VERY DARING to steal $600 at one go. I feel that she is trying to play on the fact that you like her to beg you to give her a chance.

If she is already so daring to steal $600 at one go, I cannot imagine what she will do next (esp when U are not around). All the more, you are leaving 2 kids in her hands.

Moreover, she is already 10mths with you before you caught her red-handed. How about those times when she steals and got away with (she might have spent the $$$ or pass $$$ to her friends/ relatives when U are not around).

I agree with KC and efg's mommy that she is totally not a trustworthy maid and shd be SENT back immediately. These maids are totally ungrateful and will take "Kindness for Weakness". Do consider again about keeping her.

Bee,
Pls blacklist her on Tam's blog. That will helps potential employers to be on alert.

Tam's blog is so popular and is also published in the newspaper few weeks back.

she stolen the $600 over couples of weeks. I forced her to tell me the total amount that she took from my family members. My mum is at home with her and the 2 kids everyday. I was quite disappointed with her too. I think she just wants to give her son a better life back home. She intends to send the $600 to her son on the next day, but was unluck to be caught by me

As a mother i understand that she wants to provide the best for her only son, but she did the wrong way

Hi snowball,

My opinion - Once the maid is caught red-handed, they will come up with all sorts of stories to coverup for their sins. Once they steal, be it $1 or $1000, it is still stealing.

For me, I would not want to keep a thief at home. The Chinese saying goes 养虎为患. If there are a couple of times already, that means, she is getting the hang of it (even when your mother is around). This maid should be BLACKLISTED and be sent back immediately.

I may sound cruel but, relatives and friends around me have similar experience, gave the maid chance and they go out to get more. I have a relative who treated their maid very well and even gave her a big $1000 angpao when she decided to go back for good after working for them for 2 contracts (4 yrs). On the day of her departure, some instint tells my relative to check her luaggage and bags. To her surprise, she found stolen gold bracelets, necklaces & cash (almost $1000 - small loose cash stolen over the years) in her belongings. She was so disappointed that she took back the $1000 angpao and retrieved all the stolen goods, drove her straight to the airport and sent her home.

hi snowball,

Do you leave a lot of $$ around your house openly? How come the maid got chance to steal even your mum is at home? I will keep my bag (wallet) in my room once i reached home from work. Also the maid is not supposed to go in my room without my permission when i am at home.

If you decide to keep her, dont ever keep any $$ or valuable items openly now.

Actually they are very smart in stealing and hiding things, can keep things in their bra, underwear or sew it in some of their clothings, in their sanitary pad etc etc...
Use their head in a wrong approach...shld be using it for working instead

Totally agree with KC's comment on "use their head in wrong approach...shld be using it for working instead"!! haha...

Dun understand why...dun like to work, then dun work lor....y come and give pple problem rite...

I also won't keep a maid who let me caught stealing. Cos if next time something is missing, eventhough is really not stolen by the maid, but the 1st thought come to mind will be the maid cos of past history.

KC, actually when we reach home from work, my family has the habit to leave our bag in the living room and have our dinner. So the maid makes use of the time we go to the kitchen/ when we play with the kids to steal. In fact, I have been suspecting her as i find that i have been 'spending' a lot more. One day i have $50, and the next day the $50 was gone, and i cannot remember what did i buy! She stolen from us for almost 3-4 weeks, and accumualted $600. My maid asked my mum's maid to keep it for her. It was my mum's maid (with us for 10yrs) who told us abt the $. My mum's maid is surprised that my maid has so much money.
Its really not easy to forgive her on my part.
Should i fired her ?

Snowball, no matter how desperate ur maid is, she shld not steal even for the sake of her kid. She can always her salary in advance if she's really in need of $$, y chose to steal instead?? Cos it's an easy way out for her n probably she knows u hv a soft heart n u will forgive her easily.

efg

i think you are right, i am very soft hearted.
I find they they are quite pitiful to have to leave their kids at home and work here for 2 yrs! Imagine if i cannot see my kids for 2 yrs, i will not be able to work.

snowball,
U really have to think hard and also cannot be too soft hearted to the FDW lor. Just treat them as employer-employee relations. I find yr maid very daring/bold...

Maybe u can find a new maid which is much much better than the existing one. Since yr mum's maid has been working 4 so long, maybe can ask her to coach the new one.

My maid has broken my vacuum, washing machine and dryer all within her first month. She forced the doors of the washer and dryer open and snapped the handles off. Shall I ask her to pay for it?

Liana,
Unfortunately our govt does not allow to deduct their salary as punishment. Haiz... having maid is like that. So angry cos sometimes they will purposely break and spoil your things just becos you reprimand them for their mistakes and they are not happy.

Btw, is your maid 'fresh' or experienced? For me, I will punish my maid by confiscating her handphone. For each mistake made, I will 'quarantine' her phone for 3 full days and nights. If she makes 2 mistakes, I'll keep the phone for 6 full days and nights and so on. No choice leh... only way to make them buck up.

Cos I feel that they spend way too much chatting and sms-ing rather then doing their work. If I do that in my office sure kena "fried cuttelfish" a long time ago loh.

Hi Liana,

Lessons learnt from hiring maids. Buy the cheapest and simplest electrical appliances if the maid is going to use them. Be it cheap or expensive, they will not take care and spoil the appliances like nobody business. Just say sorry and sorry and still never learn. Reason is simple - Things are not theirs what.

For washing machine, you can buy another 1, tell the maid, if she spoil it again, she will have to HANDWASH all the clothings, no more washing machine.

Hi Snowball - Agreed with KC that you cannot be too soft-hearted with your maid....as per my earlier postings, if your maid is so daring to steal $600 over such a short span of time (with adults at home somemore), I cannot imagine what she will do when there are no adults at home. They will come up with all sorts of sad stories to tell you. But, to me, stealing is an act of theft which cannot be condoned to. I will not keep a thief at home ......like the chinese saying, 养虎为患. You can read Tamarind's blog on maids....this maid should be BLACKLISTED and banned from coming back to S'pore to work.

Hi

Yesterday my maid took shower for my son with cold water, and it was raining outside!
After the shower, 4yrs old son told me that the water was very cold. I questioned the maid and she said she doesn't know how to adjust the temp! I was so mad with her. I asked her why she didn't call me, as I was in the room with my younger son. she kept quiet.

On last sat, my mum caught my maid smsing in the toilet while taking a shower for my son. She let my son immersed in a red pail, with the water level up to his chin! And leave the water running! So now I keep her HP, and let her use after 9pm.

I have decided to fired her! Now waiting for my new maid to come in 2-3wks time.

Sball, great to hear that u r gg to fire her. U gave her a second chance n she didn't even treasure it. She not even bucking up despite the theft incident. Sigh!! What's wrong with all these maids???

Liana,
my ex-maid also broke some stuff in my home, including my bottle sterilizer. My hubby made her write it all down...every single item that she broke or did not watch over carefully and hence, spoiled. Then he wrote down the amt next to it and told her, this is what she owes us, and will deduct from her before she leaves. Of course, in the end, we didn't deduct lah. but after that she did become more alert and broke less stuff. On top of that, the moment something is spoilt, she will tell us immediately. I guess if we don't deduct immediately, they can't "complain" abt us...haha. coz we didn't do it mah...(not yet, at least). But I think the message that we're serious and we're monitoring her, will get across...

Hi SB,

Good to hear that you finally decided to fire this maid....but, just be cautious not to let her know anything abt this esp with all these fiasco. You will never know what she will do when she get to know about this.

Hi Ladies,
This is the first maid I've had that has broken so many things in such a short time. Anyway I wrote to MOM to complain about employers not being able to recover for damaged items due to carelessness. I mean, if we can't get a single cent back then they can trash our entire house right!

CSI, good idea. I will get her to write it all down with the cost beside.

Snowball32, if I can't get the doors fixed on my washer and dryer I'll buy the cheapest I can find. We replaced our $400 vacuum with a $169 one today. Still $169 though...money that need not have been spent. She broke the old one by vacuuming WATER!

Hi SB32

I didn;t let her know. I agreed that she is the most daring maid i've ever met. Agent told me to bring her straight to the agency and i asked them to help me to send her to the airport, which they charge $60.

efg, i am actually very disappointed with her too. I thought when she was given a 2nd chance she will put in more effort in her work. But I was wrong!

Sball, u mean u hv to pay $60 bucks to send her back to the airport from the agency?? Y cnt the agency get their driver to pick her up from ur plc?? I sent my maid bck before n paid the agency $50 to pick her up from my plc n straight to the airport. No chance for her to escape, etc.

efg, how did you break the news to her when she was in your house waiting for the driver to pick her ? did she pack her own bag or you did it for her ? If i were to ask the agency to pick her from my house, i would not be able to go through her things to check if she have stolen any thing. Also, I have 2 young kids at home, i am afraid that she may turn nasty and scare my kids.

Sball, I did not let her know in adv. When the driver came, I asked to pack her bag immediately n while she packed, I'm at her side.. I made sure she emptied her bag, her clothes pockets and whatever things she had. As for the kids, ask ur mom or relative to brg them out of the hse first. It's also safer to get ur hb or basically a man to be ard so that she will not try to be funny. The last time when my maid stole, she kept
the stolen items in a wrapper n claimed it was a gift from her fren. On the wrapper, she even wrote birthday greetings on it but I just opened it up n found my things in it..

If u send her back to the agency, will they send her bck to the country or transfer her out to another employer?? Do u intend to make a police report on the theft case?? Hv u ever think of getting her to write a statement on the theft case n made her sign on it. At least to cover urself in any case of accusations.

mummies

me going to maid agency later... there are some things that we can stand... some that we can not...last nite i returned home.. i saw 8.5mths old baby quite stoned n blurred... not in her usual self.. but not sickly type oso.. it was after a long while that we traced it to the silly maid giving her spoilt sweet corn puree....

silly enough... she left the remaining puree for us (we told her not to throw away leftover baby foods, but to give it to us to eat).... the remaining unsteamed coRn (we told her to steam 1/4 for EQ and put the rest cling wrapped in fridge) smelled sour-ish.... she claimed EQ only take one teaspoon before vomitting it out.. but looking at the quantity leftover, it really dun seems so ..

i feel so sorry for my poor lil EQ.. .. it was a few hrs later that she's back to her smilely self

pls mummies when u have helper to cook food for the babies.. always remember to cook extra and taste it urself, k?

liana
my current maid spoilt 2 pairs of spectacles on her 9 mths stint with us.. each pair is ard $450 dollars.. coz mine is made of glasses...but still i continued with her.. and never ask anything back from herrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrr

but she never appreciate n never takes good care of my poor lil girl
sad.gif
.. gonna agency find a new one later.

hi all mummies ,

i m going to get a indo maid for the 1st time , normally how long does a maid from indo need to come to singapore ? 1 mth ? and also , how much is their salary now ? thank

Hi Mummies,
I wrote to MOM about getting money back from the maid for spoilt items. This is what they wrote. In a nutshell we can.

"We wish to note that our Ministry does not regulate on matters such as making foreign domestic workers (FDWs) pay for damaged items. We strongly encourage contracts to specify terms of employment based on mutual agreement of employers and their domestic workers to better meet the needs of both parties, and to avoid any misunderstanding and disputes".

We just moved house. The filthiest room in the whole house was the maid's room. Check it out.

3842694.jpg

She left her bedding, VCD player, drawers and other stuff behind thinking either we would pack up her room for her or she could simply just take her own stuff to the new place. She must have been shocked when we brought her back the next day to clean her room!!!!!

Hi Liana,

Aiyo, this is terrible. Think you gotta give her a specific timetable that includes her cleaning & keeping her own room neat and tidy.

Hi Smurfy,

For us, I always check on the food my maid prepares for my kids. I am very particular when it comes to cleaniness and food for my kids. My maids were told on the very 1st day they came to our house. I also always tell her to let me know if the food has turned stale/ bad which she is NOT supposed to give to my kids. My younger gal got solomonella bacteria attack when she was 4 mths old and my previous maid helped my MIL took care of her. She saw how bad her diarrhea was & she kept vigilant on the cleaniness (not only on food but also utensils used for the babies).

For my 2nd maid, when she 1st came, I have to check on the food she cooks for my kids (from preparation to cooking), in the 1st few weeks and correct her immediately when she mishandled. I also told my MIL to check regularly when I was at work.

Specs broken - You can give her a stern warning that the next pair of specs she breaks, she will have to pay in full. Dymple's idea of making notes of the things she broke and "threatening" to make her pay is a good idea.

efg

I will be sending my maid home this sat. Will ask the agent to pick her from my house and drive her straight to the airport in the morning.
I think I won;t be making any police report on the theft incident, save troubles for myself.

Sball, u not gg to make a police report? U dun intend blacklist her thru MOM? But for ur own sake, ask her to write a statement abt the theft incident, keep it with u plus the photocopy of her passport n if possible her picture too. Pse blacklist her in Tamarind's blog for the sake of the her future employers to be.

efg
you mean i can make a police report without bringing her to the police station?

Yesterday she went for a walk with my 2yrs old son without telling me! My bro went home early cos he was not feeling well, and could not find my son. He went around the neighbourhood to search for them and found them sitting at a bus stop. I got so mad with her and scolded her.
I don;t know how many times she has went out with my son. sighs

I intend to send her home to Indo central Java, Brebes this sat. Does anyone know the nearest airport to her hometown ? I spoken to another maid and she said from Jarkata airport to Brebes need to take 12hrs coach, which cost abt Sin150. I ask my agent and they told me to bring the maid to the agency and they will ask her which airport she wants to go, and they will buy the ticket for her and charge to me! I think this is ridiculous

Sball, the last time when indon maid ran away n I managed to found her n sent her back to the agency immediately n I also made a police report the very same day without her. In fact I reported to the police so that I can use the police report to black list her from entering Spore again. U can inform the police that u do not want to take action against her, just to use the police statement to black list her thru MOM.

As for the flight fix back to her Hmtown, u check the contract of hers cos usually the contract will state which airport we suppose to send the maid back to. My ex maid who stole was sent back via ferry to batam instead but that was many yrs ago n it was the agent that insisted that.

efg, thanks for sharing. Can i know when we make a report at the police station, does the police have to verify what we say? My contract does not state the airport.

new system to tackle the problem of wayward maids
I AM writing in response to numerous letters regarding treatment of maids in Singapore.

I worked for a maid agency for two years in the past. During those days, I encountered complaints against maids from employers every day. They ranged from telling lies, refusing to take instructions, being lazy, using the employer's phone without permission, to serious matters like stealing, bringing in strangers without permission and sneaking out of the house in the middle of night.

Some maids steal household items stocked at home and sell to sundry shops nearby. Some sneak out to do prostitution at weekday nights and sleep during the day, frustrating employers. Some work as hostesses on Sundays and rest on Mondays.

In my agency, we made it a point to hand over our 24-hour hotline number so that they can call us when they are in trouble. Most of the calls were about nagging employers. There were few complaints about heavy workload. We did not receive any complaints about physical abuse. There was just one case of a male employer trying to seduce the maid. We transferred the maid amicably.

I have been employing maids for 14 years. I treat them with dignity and respect, taking care of their needs more than the law specifies. They work happily in my house initially. But when they have friends, they change. They are on the phone or writing letters most of time, and refuse to attend to children and the old mother when they call. They learn to talk back, tell lies and find short cuts to do work as time passes. This made me change maids every two years.

When I face such problems with my maids, I share them with my family members, and one or some of us explain to them why they are not supposed to do such things, and tell them to correct their behaviour. I imagine how it is if one family member must take all the burden of dealing with maids without adequate knowledge, skill and time in doing so.

And worse still, if agents fail to help. Out of frustration, employers may become abusive.

We need to come up with a system in dealing with present maids problems. First, more has to be done to educate and help employers. Many employers do not know how to deal with problems with maids appropriately.

Employers are busy people and may not have time to sit down and read the booklet from MOM. The only time they may sit down is when they choose maids at the agency's office.

Therefore, equipping agencies with legal knowledge and communication skills, and making them educate the employers may be one way. Or, just as maids sit for tests before getting their work permit, employers may be made to sit for tests on ethics, responsibilities, law, communication skill, et cetera.

As for the maids, they need to receive more training in work skills and work attitudes. Language skill is also important. We see more Indonesian maids than Filipino maids being abused. One reason is the lack of communication skills.

All complaints from both employers and maids, however small, should be reported to MOM. The ministry may set up a page on its website for employers and agency to write in about their woes with maids.

Maids can use the telephone number given to them. And a committee may review all the cases once a month, and provide feedback to MOM, ICA, embassies and maid agencies.

Angie Kiyomi Nishi (Mdm)

Yesterday afternoon, i called my maid to teach my son with his homework. When I went home in the evening, i looked thru my son's homework, it was all done with extremely neat handwritting. Its was too well done to be true! I questioned my maid, and she told me my son did it himself. But my son told me its the maid who did it for him. This maid is extremely terrible! Luckily i am sending her home tomorrow

Hi All,

Need some advice.

I have 3 kids and already have a maid hired under my name.

My FIL's maid has been working for him for almost 2 years. Her work permit is due for renewal in June. We have intention to transfer her under my name.

Like to check whether I will still continue to enjoy the the maid levy concession of $170 for the 2nd maid?

How should I go about doing it? Renew her work permit and passport first? or transfer to my name first?

Thanks

hi, my new maid has been with me for almost a month now. i bought her a phone card and let her call home when we're not around so that she is not interrupted. my bb goes to half day toddler care as well.
anyway, i was looking at the home camera and she was making a call home. i couldn't understand what she said but i heard majikan (which means employer). then she spelled me and my baby's name to the person on the other end.
she doesn't really know how to tackle my bb and most of the time she sounds like a monkey when playing with him. she can't feed him milk well and she can't even change his diapers without him crying.
what should i do? should i keep her? since i suspect she wants to do some black magic to make me and bb get along well with her. i now worry about the food we eat.

hi, what actions that make you think your maid is making black magic - just by quoting names to the other end of the phone? anyway, if you feel cautious with her and find hard to convince yourself to retain,then please change. no point dragging on the relationship. but, you have to think carefully the criteria of the next maid you are going to take? one month of having her is easier to change as no feelings develop yet, unlike me - 1 year of toying the idea of kicking her out and now bb is so sticky to her.. we cannot be too soft hearted until they climb over us.

Hi,

So far I have only employed filipino maids because they can speak better English.
However, all of them love to chat and SMS on the handphone.

I discovered that they loved to hide inside the toilet for hours. I felt uneasy as I don't know whether they were using the toilet or actually SMSing on their phone. I can't just ask her to come out of the toilet, seems quite rude to do so. All the housework are not done because she was stucked in the toilet.

In the end, I encouraged her to use the phone in my presence and told her I don't mind as long as she does her work well.

So she plugged in her phone ear piece all day long, chatting with her friends and doing her housework at the same time.

After this, I found she didn't stay inside the toilet for a long time anymore and she seems more cheerful because she gets to chat with her friends all day long. For me, the housework were all done efficiently. Better than she stayed in the toilet and never do her housework.

Why does Singapore have the Starhub $128 or SingTel $125 phone card and free incoming calls?This allows them to chat endlessly as making phone calls has become very cheap.

Any great ideas from Mummies how to discourage less phone calls and yet have happy maids?

hi, i don't allow maid to hv handphone. mine ever asked me many times. i reminded them of their agreement not to have handphone. i told them you are hear to earn money for your family, not to keep spending on phonebills. in the end, if pressed for money, you may end up stealing and then being sent back to agent/family. it will be a disgrace to you as i will also report you to police for stealing. i only allow you to use my phone via phonecard. my maid, a few times sneaked my cordless phone in to use. i banged the toilet door and demand her to come out. told her my displeasure and insist that in future if you want to call, let employer connect the line for you. she, smart- sometimes she will let me connect and sometimes she will silently call while all of us sleep.

Back