Advise on Baby & Maid Exps

hi apple,
congratulations to you! how's your maid coping?

babycutie,
maybe you can explain to your mum that priority shld be children first? of course cleaniness is impt, but sometimes have to discount a bit on cleaning cabinets or other stuff if your maid really have no time to do it, cos looking after kids with cooking do really take up much of her time already.

Babycutie,
If you have a maid, your mum shouldn't have to do manual work if she can't. But, she can help ease the maid's workload with the preparation (cutting and seasoning of meat) and cooking. Then the maid can just mop the floor after your mum has done the cooking.

Maids come from countries which have a different way of bringing up children. We believe in hygiene, safety and good nutrition, which is low in priority in not so developed countries. So before a 'volcano' erupts after your maternity leave, it would be good if you can have a word with your mother.

ribena, my maid came yesterday afternoon. Fr what we observed she took initiative to do work that I never ask her to do
happy.gif
happy for the start.
I went out for a while in the evening and left her and CL at home, when I'm home, CL told me that she wipes my gate and main wooden door and also all the floor skirting.

Before I went out she was mopping all the floors and clean toilet. She felt uneasy when I ask her to rest!

Hi apple,
It's true the maid will feel uneasy if you ask her to rest. You are fortunate to have a maid with initiative. If your CL's cooking is not bad, can get her to teach your maid. After 2 weeks, you can ask the CL to teach the maid to bathe baby while she looks on.

mom2nat,
Nice to see you here ! Yah some maids are lucky. I read in the newspaper about one maid who works for a very rich family. She sleeps in aircon room, and even drive her owner's expensive car to go marketing !

babycutie,
I am very paranoid about the maid falling out of the window. So I never ask her to clean the window or window grilles ! I was thinking of cleaning myself when I have the time, but haven't had time to do it for more than 3 years already hahaha
But I think my maid took her own initiative to clean it, because I don't see that it is very dirty.

Like your mum, my mother also single handedly brought up 2 kids without any help. My father is the kind who believes that husbands should not do any housework. My mother also like to complain that the maid is too slow and forgetful as compared to her. But I told her that even if I get another maid, there is no way to guarantee that the new maid will be better. Then my mother will stop nagging, because she also don't like to change maids, since I have already changed so many times !

Although my mother cannot squat, she can still carry my girl, who is 16 kg now. I think she has more stamina than me. She also likes to hand wash her own clothes, cook for herself, and wash her own plates, even though I told her to let the maid do it. She says she just like to do these things herself.

Janet,
There is a baby boy in my neighbourhood, whose parents are from mainland China. He does not wear diapers, only wear those pants with a big hole at the buttock. His grandmother from China came to look after him. She likes to bring him walking around in our neighbourhood park. When he wants to pass motion or urine, she just let him do it anywhere, and anyhow use some leaves or any paper (rubbish) she can find to wipe his buttock ! But the boy grew up big and fat, and very obedient some more. Talk about different upbringing.

Tamarind,
My mother always instills in us not to depend on the maid to do everything. She is hired to help out but not at our beck and call. That's why our maids are so spoilt after working for us. My friend has 2 maids. Her MIL wants them to stand at the table until she has finished her breakfast. If my hubby or myself want something, we take ourselves.

The upbringing of some kids are scary. But they grow up well. As for hygiene, that's going to be a big question mark !

tamarind,
We locked all our window grilles except the one in the kitchen because she needs to put laundry out to dry. And its a very small opening only so we r not afraid if she falls.

Probably I will ask my mum to do the cooking of dinner and help out with taking care of Jayden when the maid is busy.

apple,
All maids "act" hardworking when they first joined their employer. They will clean everything in your house.

Though u went out leaving the CL with your maid, the maid didn't know that yr CL is actually not part of yr family members so thought that someone is still observing her and hence dare not be lazy.

U will see the difference after few weeks. Slowly they will tou gong jian liao in their housework. All maids r the same.

We can't expect much from them. So long they do what they should be doing, obey our instructions and don't give so much attitude problem, we r consider lucky liao.

All the best with your maid. Hope that she is really a good one.

Apple,
With the CL around, sometimes the CL may take the chance to 'eat snake' since there's a maid around. But the maid won't do that, because she thinks the CL is part of your family. It is a bit messy to draw up a schedule now. But once the CL leaves, get your maid to stick to it.

Don't have too high expectations from the maid. Just be firm with her for the first 5 months and don't spoil her yet. If the maid is good after 4 months, you have plenty of time and chances to spoil her a little. All the best.

babycutie,
your schedule looks alright. but who will watch belvia/jayden while your maid is doing all those chores in the schedule? also, if she needs to do those 1x/week or 1x/mth chores that you listed, where in the schedule is she supposed to fit those chores in, as the schedule seems packed already, and she seems to have other chores already scheduled when the children are sleeping/napping.

Janet,
I intend to teach both my boy and girl to fold their own clothes, wash their own plates and even mop their own room, when they are older. I want them to be independent and be able to take care of themselves.
My hubby and his sisters were taken care by his servant since young. His younger sister did not want to wear her own socks even when she was already in primary school. Until now my hubby doesn't know how to fold his own clothes or even wash his own cup. I don't want my kids to grow up like him.

Lani,
Will ask my mum to help to watch out both kids when the maid is doing the chores.

May take out the cooking from the maid and let my mum handle.

She can squeeze in the once a wk/once a mth chore into the schedule when the children are sleeping and there r no clothes to iron.

I have translated out in Bahasa myself this morning. Maybe u can help to check? Hope my Bahasa is not broken type....kekeke

Setiap Hari

5:30am
Bangun dan cuci sendiri

6:00am
Cuci botol susu, didihkan air mensterilkan botol
Cuci baju bayi
Cui baju sendiri
Cuci kotor lap piring, lap lantai dan lap tangan (kalau ada)
Bikin kopi (for SIR)
Lap perabot rumah
Makan sarapan

8:00 - 8.30am
Kasi Belvia makan sarapan

9:00am
Kasi Belvia mandi

9:30am
Kasi Jayden mandi
Sediakan bahan-bahan ke makan siang (kalau ada)

10:30am
Kasi Belvia tidur

11:00am
Masak makan siang (kalau ada)
Pengepel lantai dapur

12:00 - 12:30pm
Kasi Belvia makan makan siang
Sendiri makan makan siang

2:00pm
Bikin sop

2:30pm
Kasi Belvia mandi

3:00pm
Membersih Jayden

3:30pm - 5:15pm
Kasi Belvia tidur
Sediakan bahan-bahan ke makan malam
Sapu dan pengepel lantai
Lipatkan baju
Menyeterika baju (kalau ada)

5.30pm
Masak makan malam
Pengepel lantai dapur

6:30pm
Kasi Belvia makan makan malam
Sendiri makan makan malam

7:30pm
Membersih Jayden

8:00pm
Cuci semua kotor kompor, piring, mangkuk, sumpit
sendok

8:45pm
Membersih Belvia
Kasi Belvia tidur
Mandi sendiri
Tidur sendiri

Seminggu Sekali
1. Cuci kamar mandi dan kamar kecil (Setiap Sabtu)
2. Cuci SIR/MAM kamar mandi dan kamar kecil (Setiap Minggu)
3. Tukarkan anak anak sprei (Every Jumat)
4. Bersih ruang bayi dan ruang duduk teralis (Setiap Senin)
5. Bersih dapur teralis (Setiap Selasa)

Sebulan Sekali
1. Bersih kipas
2. Bersih ruang pelajaran teralis (Setiap hari pertama dari bulan)
3. Bersih lemari dapur (Setiap hari kedua dari bulan)

Hi ladies, I also wanna get a maid after my CL leaves...till now I have not booked n my EDD is in less than 2 weeks...I hope I still have time.

After my last maid, I have to agree that maids likes to "act". When she first came, she has so much initiative, always worked non-stop, asked us to give her a timetable, when she didn't do a thing correctly, she cried n apologise & all sorts of nonsense, the moment we treat her better, her "fox tail" came out. Wipe floor halfway, stand there n watch TV. Went out with friends when nobody is at home, WITHOUT permission. & the last straw is take home a fake 4D ticket and told us can claim money. Aiyoh. Headache.

This time round, I will tell my parents to watch closely and not allow her to go out alone. Once they mix around with other "seasoned" maids, jak lak liao.

Tamarind,
My hubby does not know how to do housework. Thanks to his mother's mentality that sons don't need to learn because they will have wives to wait on them.

I don't plan to have a maid in the long run. The money spent on her salary and levy is a substantial amt. But it is only for the present moment. As my children grow up, I will teach them to fold clothes, wash the dishes, keep the house tidy and mop the floor. Also a good chance to bond with them. I am not a slave to the house. As long as it's acceptable, will do. Then my hubby will have to do more housework.

tamarind/janet,
I am more lucky. My hb does housework. He can vacuum and mop floor, hang laundry, iron clothes and wash utensils. Just that he doesn't know how to cook that's all. And I dunno too...hehehe

I only do the laundry and wash utensils before having kids and maid back then. The rest hb bao ka liao.

Hi ladies,

Does any of you is currently engaging Fil maid.I used to have an Indo maid who is hardworking and fast. In fact, we do not give her any timetable.But i guess i am being too nice to her that she becomes more cunning and not respectful to me lo. Take my instruction like nothing. After 1yr plus without a maid as my boy is in the full day childcare centre. Now i am preggy agn, edd in June.Had already cfm a Fil maid whom had work in SG for 1yr. This time round, should i set her a time table. Pls help!!

Droopy eyes,
Wow, your prev maid can ah ? Can nominate her for Oscar award for acting so well. That is one reason why I didn't want her to wash the car even though she is free on weekends. My mum's prev maid taught us a lesson. Every morning at 6am, she will disappear downstairs to wash a car and return 1 hour later. Then one morning, my dad went downstairs at 615am and heard her having a jolly good time shouting across the carpark.

With a new maid, there is a need to be firm with her. All new maids come without much clothing and really pitiful. I provide soap, shampoo, a few postage stamps, t-shirts, towels for her to inform the family she is at the employer's house. After about 5 months, then you can slowly treat her nicer.

Yah loh, Janet, actually partly my mum's fault lah. We dun come from a well-to-do background so we pity the maid loh, esp my mum. My mum pampered her so much that she climbed over our heads. She would even take my mother's bankbook from her hands & look at it. When my mum said cannot, she said "never mind lah, one family". **faint** We didn't fix up a timetable for her n we didn't say what time she must wake up n sleep. Luckily I was around as the "black face" in the house. She didnt dare to do outrageous things when I was at home. We made a great big mistake by letting her go out every Sunday becos she is a Christian. Then she started making friends and dressing sexily. Actually it's out of goodwill but she took it for granted. My agency told us this is a bad mistake, actually once a month can already.

This time I will be extra careful. But I cannot show blackface leh, coz she will be looking after bb. That's why initially I was reluctant to get a maid but really, that's my best option. Haiz...

Droopy,
So much agreed with you. We have been too good to the maid and in the end they climb up over our head.Wat we get in the end is "puke blood" and suffer. I am in the same position as you. If not cos of my coming new born bb, i would rather my hse like a dog house than to invite them into my hse and embush trap. Sigh!!

Droopy eyes,
Your maid really too much already. How can she take your mum's bank book and see ? So rude.
As employers, we tend to pity these maids when they first arrived. That's when they take advantage seeing that we pity them.

JoJo,
I had no maid for a long time until my 2nd child came. My mum can't work much as her shoulder always ache. So have to employ a maid. Fortunately, she is good. Learns very fast, so much so that we have no freedom of speech now. But on the whole, she is very patient with my 2 kids. My girl is 15 months+ now.

Janet,
Crossing my figure this time round. Hope I am lucky to meet a maid like yours.She is a Fil maid working in SG for the past 1yr taking care of 2 children.Her ex-employer is an Chinese-indonesian, hence,intend to change to 2 indo maid instead.Do you think i should give her a time table or just observe her in the beginning till i think its necessary to give her a time table? Actually my main purpose is for her to take care of my new born coming in June.My boy is already 5yrs old and is attending full time childcare, so i guess the workload for her wont be heavy at all.

JoJo,
My maid is considered not bad. It's a pity she wants to go home and get married. But I can't be so selfish to make her stay.

It would be good to give her a time-table. In any case, with a time-table you know what she is supposed to do.

Hi JoJo,

If you are getting a Filipino maid who's already in SG, there's a high chance of her owning a mobile phone. So set a rule that you don't want to see her SMSing or talking on the mobile phone at all. She can sms or talk on the hp on her day off. Otherwise, confiscate the mobile.

Hi Jo jo,

I am having a filipino maid now.she has no day off as agreed when me interview her over the phone.She is taking care of my bb who is turning to 2 mth old this thurs.Me actually set a list of chores to be carried out daily,weekly and monthly.Me does not hav a fix time for her except what she is supposed to do daily,weekly and monthly cos the bb is still young(priority will be on him) and his milk feed can be 3 or even 4-5 hourly(not quite fixed).

The first time when me bring her bck fm agency, me show her a contract and her daily/weekly/mthly chores which I draft out.Talk n Explain to her the Do's N DOnt's,my expectation for the whole house n bb.Make sure she understand n agreed b4 starting wrk.So far she is quite hardwrkin and show much intative in her wrk.
I find it quite useful so far and all I hav to do is to show her once n she picks up fast n easy.I am consider que blessed to hav a maid who is a fast learner.Hope my post will help u in a way or another.

Hi all, I am a new employer and my Filippino maid came yesterday. Today, she is very hardworking, clean my whole house, including shifting the furnitures like my king size bed (very heavy) to clean the floor...all her own initiatives. I am very impress, but having read comments above about how maids only "act" hardworking at the beginning, I also a bit worried now.

Can I find out from the rest, when you say you start to treat the maid well, she starts to show her true color, what do you define as treat her well? So far, I bought her 3 new bermudas to wear today.....thanks alot!

Ariel,
Oops!!! U already treated her well on the 2nd day!!! ie buying her 3 new bermudas.

Once in a while u hv to check the furnitures. U will be surprise to find thick dirt in the long run.

Of course it has to depends on the priority given to the maid. If babysitting is concern, cleanliness will not be the first in priority so do not expect the house to be so clean.

Janet,
This new maid of mine do not have any sunday off for the past 1yr during her stay with her employer.But maybe i should check on her if she do have a mobile phone or not. Tks for that reminder.

Cecilia,
May i have your list of timetable. Maybe i can have a guide or idea what should be Do or Not Do.
You can email me at [email protected]. Tks!

Ariel,
My first maid is an Indonesia maid.She was also a transferred maid before i employed her. I do not give her any time table or limit to wake up at what time.I want her to take her own initiatives.At first she was quite good.After a period, maybe she is no longer used to me giving instruction.She doesn't take my instruction seriously and dare to talk back lo.I tolerated her for almost half a yr till i puay tahan so i sent her back.Maybe we should give them a list of Do's and Dont's like what Janet and Cecilia do.And don't treat them too nice in the beginning until u are very sure lo.My maid was meeting her friend at their place but i wasn't aware of it.Luckily she did not meet any guys.

Babycutie and Jojo, thanks for your advice...the only thing I did yesterday was to brief her my expections and also what she is expected to do daily, weekly and monthly but I did not give her a timetable.

I also have to tell my hubby and my mum to let me give instructions only becoz I realise we ended up giving conflicting instructions e.g. my mum told the maid can eat anything in the house, but I disagree (some of the things like ice cream is meant for the owners)...but before i can say, my mum interrupted me and tell her can eat everything...I nearly fainted!

Can someone share with me their time-table?

Hi Cecilia,
Tks for your time table. I also didn't wish to give her a timing on what should be done so and so. As long as she can maintain and keep the hse clean and comfortable is more than enough.Furthermore,my main purpose of employing her is to look after the new born baby.

Ariel,
I had the same sentiment as you before.There was once when my previous maid did something wrong.She purposely skip her dinner.So i just keep my hb inform.Before my hb start to ask her what happen.Wow! she really can act...immediately cry infront of the sir.End up my hb quarrel with me infront of the maid.This actually will cause the maid not to respect me in future at all cos she will think that the Sir or Ah mah is protecting her.So try to avoid this kind of confusion.If things happen regards the maid.Maybe we can talk behind the door instead of infront of the maid.

Ariel,
Day 2 you have already spoilt market by buying her 3 bermudas already. Even if you buy 3, no need to give her all at one go. Otherwise she won't treasure your things. Give your new maid things bit by bit.

JoJo,
One more thing is that my hubby doesn't talk to the maid unless necessary. Most of the time, I am the one who gives the instructions. Unless my hubby asks her to make coffee in the afternoon or to tell her to be careful when we are outside, he doesn't talk to her. This way, the maid is afraid of the 'sir' in the house.

hi, sorry for interrupting.

me urgently need some expert advices.

issit true that Fil maid once worked in HK will not wan to come to s'pore as high pay and more offdays?

i'm currently sourcing for maid for my 8mths old son and my agency recommended me a Fil maid(ex-HK, no offday) and assure me that i won't regret getting her. But my friends told me be careful of getting maids worked in HK b4 and if she wan to come to s'pore, there must be something wrong
sad.gif
. after hearing my friends' remarks really make me half-hearted of getting her liao.

so now me very confused as i intend to let my son stay at home alone with the maid and Fil maid is my first choice as they can understand english better than Indo maids(although me going to be on leave for 1 week to train her lah)

march_mrch,
In Hong Kong the people speak Cantonese, so your filipino maid may not be good in English. It is not true that all filipino maids know English, I had one new filipino maid (no previous working experience), we just cannot communicate with each other. Whether it is filipino or indonesian maids, they learn to speak English fluently while working in other countries. Any Indonesian maid who has worked in Singapore for 2 years, will be able to speak good English.

Also, don't rely on your maid to teach your son English, even if she has University degree. I heard of cases where the child speak English with filipino accent, you don't want that to happen, right ?

It is possible that this ex-HK maid had problems. Even if she had no problems, when she come to Singapore, she had to receive a lower salary, and she will not be happy. You will have to give her HK salary in order to keep her happy. An unhappy maid will not be motivated, and will not be hardworking.

If you want an experienced maid, the best is to get one with experience in Singapore.

Hi March,

My uncle hired this Filipino maid when he was in HK. Her pay was S$850. My auntie went to HK during her pregnancy and that's when she realized the maid had been pocketing money meant for marketing.

Try not to get a ex-HK maid. I agree with what Tamarind said.

Tks Janet,my hb don usually talk to the maid as well.Like your hb too, he only instruct her when he need something.Though the maid is scare of him but in another way round, she respect him more than me cos i used to be very nice to her in the very first place when she is with us for the first 6mths.Gradually than i realised that she had been cutting down her workload so than i started to instruct her to do the things she had not done so.Eventually,i think she doesn't take my instruction anymore cos she already had a habit of doing things her own way. I guess this time i really need to give them a timetable.

What should i expect compare from a Phil maid to an Indo maid? Pls advise.

Hi all,
Thanks for the advise. Got my Indo maid & she's so much better than my ex Fillipino!! Sucks, should have change long time ago...

She's very polite, initiative, hardworking & best of all, cheaper! Only thing is her English is very weak. Can I know where to get a dictionary to translate English to Bahasa?

babycutie,
wow your Bahasa very good leh!! i am impressed!
happy.gif
yes, it's all fine. may not be perfect lah but she should definitely be able to understand, as i also can understand what you're trying to say.

babycutie,
Thanks for the lobang, just bot the dictionary from Popular during my lunch.
Oh yeah, now I can tell her I want my egg to be half cooked in Bahasa..keke..

I also wanna get one english-indon dictionary..keke..my new maid doesn't seems to understand normal Malay!

Now she is like quite free, coz I'm still doing confinement, CL is here to do things for me.
So my new indon maid everyday just take 1pc of cloth wipe here and there..sigh..even the softlan bottle she also wipe 3 times..my goodness! Can't blame her coz I haven't start her on the schedule yet.

Just now I watched her eating the packet of nasi lemak..OMG, like counting the rice one by one..so slow. I cannot stand it and tell her that now she can take her time, when I'm back to work she has to handle bb and house chores, cannot eat like that anymore. My CL told me she drinks milo spoon by spoon in the morning.

aiyo, i tell you what apple. All Indo maid when they first arrive in Sg to work. They all tend to eat veryyyyy slow. Don't understand why they had that kind of habit.I think even though the CL is around, she also can help to do the other housework.Make good use of the CL, ask her to teach the maid how to do the household chores la.I am also going to hire a 2weeks CL only to take care of me and my newborn.And the CL also had promise to teach the maid how to cook and take care of the baby etc.

JoJo,
Your previous maid can go for Oscar!! Thks for your advice.
Janet, sorry for spoiling market, will be more careful now.

Got a question, do you open bank account for your maid or hold back any $ from her? My maid agency recommended me to hold back $500 in case they break contract. I thinking of putting this amt into a bank account for her but I keep her bank book and no atm card.

Apple,
Wow, your maid thinks she is some 'xiao jie' here ? Drinking Milo spoon by spoon. HaHaHa. With the CL around, she can afford to take her own sweet time, but once she is left with the bb and housework, she gotta buck up. So, it's right you tell her to hurry up. Now got such thing as 2 weeks CL huh ?

Ariel,
I just hold her money. No need to open a bank account. When my maid first told me she wants to send money home, I told her, 'fine, but cannot send home everything. put aside $400 with me and $10 to buy your stuff".

Apple,
U should ask yr CL to teach yr maid how to cook, bath yr bb and feed yr bb. Everyday get the maid to see how yr CL bath and clean bb. Also get yr CL to teach yr maid how to make formula (if yr bb is on FM). During cooking, get yr maid to write down the procedure of cooking which the CL has taught her. Get her a small notebook to write down. Check her notebook everyday to see what she had jotted down.

And those free time she has, get her to clean every part of yr house including furnitures, window grilles, ceiling/standing fans, main gate, main door, room doors, bamboo sticks for laundry, washing machine.........whatever furnitures u had not been cleaning for ages and has collected dust, just get her to clean.

On the final week of yr CL stay, ask yr CL to supervise while letting yr maid handle yr bb in all the chores like cleaning and bathing, changing diapers, feeding, making formula, put to sleep....etc etc.....

Don't spoil yr maid by letting her too free.

What do u do when yr maid keep forgetting?

I had just discuss the new time-table with my maid. Had asked her to change the common hand towel every night before she sleep and she still can repeat after me. Yesterday she did so but today she forgotten liao. She isn't taking my instruction seriously right.

Anyway, I hv told her 1 wk ago that she kept forgetting this and that and in future I will deduct $1 from her salary with every forgotten chore. She just laugh at it. I told her don't laugh and I am serious. She just smile.

Well, I hv already jotted down in the sundry expenses as "Forgotten to change hand towel" with deduction of $1.00. Will get her to sign and seriously deduct $1.00 from her pay.

Hv to teach some lessons if not tong nei mo dou....I am too tired to remind liao.... Will tell her no more chance given liao...She has been here for nearly 6 mths already....

cat_tail!
Wowee..your maid is here already! glad that you have found someone right.
happy.gif
which agency did you go in the end?

apple,
i agree with the rest that your maid has to start learning her ropes now, esp when CL is still ard. i'm sure she can do much more things than wiping here and there. i already started learning from my CL from 2nd week onwards, and during the last week of your confinement, your maid shld try to hands on for most of the chores already i feel
happy.gif

babycutie,
oh gosh..if she continue to be forgetful, i think you can have a fund for forgetfulness liao.. hehe..

ribena,
My maid is from Crystal Lite.
happy.gif

apple,
I think u should instruct her to eat faster now & keep giving her things to do. Just dun give her the luxury cos once she's slack, it's hard to correct back. Trust me... tat's wat happen to my ex-maid.
sad.gif

Back