Advise on Baby & Maid Exps

Hi Babycutie,
My current maid is not bad. Of course there are times she drives me nuts with her attitude too. I guess it's my fault that I treat her as a friend, & that she has forgotten where to draw the line.

With a new maid, I will know what to do and how to deal with her. For one thing, she can eat what I say ok.

hi janet, am in the same shoes here. treat her like part of family and she steps overboard sometimes. anyway, hope that i won't neeed another maid after she expires.

Hi Lay Tin,
Hope your kids are fine now.

I guess being a mother and all that, we have feelings and compassion for these women who work here as maids. My hubby said the maid has forgotten the boundary. I'm pissed off with her at times, but I tell myself it's ok because God has eyes to see I'm not ill-treating her.

Janet,
If u can tolerate yr maid's action, then its fine. If not, quickly correct her on the spot. Let her know what can be done and what cannot be.

No doubt God has eyes to see however these women do not appreciate at all. Of course not all are like that but I am not afraid to say that most of them are like that. So I would rather draw a line.

Its good that yr current maid is good. Mine is satisfactory. Of the 4 maids that I have hired, she is the most stupid. I can't stand her slow action and lack of initiative. Have to constantly remind. Sometimes I really want to call the agent to talk some sense into her. Like fasten her pace with housework and use her brain to analyse on situation.

Sometimes we can't blame these species who came from undeveloped countries but still we have our expectations and need them to follow. Well, once in a while they will drive us nuts.

I hope when her contract expires, I will get a better maid. BUT who knows maybe halfway thru her contract, she quits..... She always get scolding from my mum.... so dunno how long can she take it.......Like u said, take 1 mth at a time since she is patient with my kids....

hi janet, i agree. that's why most of the times i just closed 2 eyes unless she really drives me mad. so, one day at a time till she finished her contract. but if she commits a major fault, off she goes. she will be my last n final maid.

Babycutie,
On the whole, she has helped me a lot since my girl was born. So, I close one eye unless it's really on my nerves. After having 2 kids and a maid, my tolerance level has improved a great deal. HaHaHa !!!

In fact, I'm quite upset she can't even extend another year with me. My son is going to P1 next year and my brother is getting married in Oct. I don't know if the new maid will get on my nerves. But no point getting her to extend if she doesn't want to.

Janet,
I can't say that I treat my maid as a friend, because I don't really chit chat to her. I don't know what to talk about, I mean you can't discuss movies, TV, shopping, restaurants, politics with a maid, right ? Most of the time when I talk to her I am giving her instructions, or asking her about the kids.

But I do treat her with respect, I always ask if she has enough to eat, and enough rest. The good thing is that she never argue with me, she knows that she must always do things my way.

Tamarind,
I wouldn't say I chat with her like a friend. What's there to talk about with her anyway, right ? Just ask her what she does at home, what her parents grow on the farm and general stuff.

May I know what are the procedures or paperwork to be done if my friend transfer her maid to me? She only use the maid for a week or so.
I called the agenices and they charge $250-$300 for doing the paperwork. They said it is for applying WP, bonds, insurance, etc. but is it necessary to reapply for insurance, bonds, etc again? i thought just apply Work permit under my name can already?

hi mum88,

u can refer 2 d MOM website on d procedures 2 transfer d maid 2 u. Yes, it's necessary 2 reapply 4 d insurance as d maid is nw under a dif employer.

another way 2 do it is 2 get ur fren's agent 2 do d transfer 4 u. tink it shld b cheaper.

out of curiousity, y did ur fren wan 2 transfer d maid 2 u?? better chk it out jus in case d maid gives u prob in future. then u might b stuck.

Hi mum88,
Have you asked your friend the maid's attitude & performance ? Is your friend strict or easy-going with her maid ? It makes a lot of difference if she is easy-going (bochap) and you have a high expectation.

mum88,
It sounds a fishy that your friend only used the maid for one week, then want to transfer to you. If the maid is really good, no one will want to let her go.

Dear Vone,

The MOM website only mentioned under "Change of Employer" that I have to reapply WP. Confused...mmm..

How much is the insurance? how come the agency charge so expensive to help us do the transfer?
Application of WP is only $10, right? Mmm..

Dear Vone,Janet, Tamarind,
My friend have very high expectations too. She find this maid very good but the only weak point is that she cant cook. As my friend have no time to coach her on cooking, she preferred to get another maid who can cook. She find it a pity to let the maid go, so she recommend it to me.
It is very rare to find a good maid. I really hope she is really as good as my friend put it.

Mum88,
Do you really need the maid that urgently ? Personally, I would prefer to get a new one than a transferred one, esp from a friend. I can set my expectations & conditions with the maid. As for maids who can cook, what they cook is normally something we won't like to eat. My mum taught her to cook & now she is so good. I've asked her to extend another year with me.

How you define a good maid is really individual. I'm not implying your friend isn't telling the truth but only after a maid has worked for you for 3 months, then you'll know.

mum88, it depends on wat kind of insurance u r getting. mine costs $70, bt i'll hv 2 pay $250 shld my maid runs away. another kind costs $170. if d maid runs away, then i dun hv 2 pay anything. my advice is 2 get d cheaper 1 1st. if ur maid is okie, then 'upgrade' 2 d better plan.

d reason 4 d expensive charges is coz d agency wans 2 earn some $$ fr u wif rgds 2 their admin cost. bt tink it's on d high side leh.

mmm... d maid is oni wif ur fren 4 1 wk & she finds tt she's gd?? sounds a bit funny 2 me leh. tink u better re-consider.

Vone,
1 week can't possibly determine a maid is good. My maid had some attitude problem after 2 months. I had a talk with her - either she bucks up or she can find another family. After putting in time & effort training her, I am intending to extend her.

mum88,
You can check the NTUC website for the costs of the insurance.
https://incnet.income.com.sg/uiFgnmaid/intro.aspx?thisSvr=myMaid

I bought Plan 3 + waiver, total $140 when I renew the work permit.

You can do the transfer yourself, don't need to pay the agency extra to do it. Just call MOM general enquiries number to find out the procedures. But this line is often busy, you need to try early in the morning.

How did your friend get this maid ? If it is from another agency, and she still have to pay for the maid loan, you need to check whether the maid must be returned to the same agency.

I guess if you trust your friend, then no harm trying. If you think she is no good, can straight away send her back.

hi there everyone
happy.gif

took all your advise and did proper checks on the recommended maids - sure enough there is some 'issues' so we cant take my part-time maids relative - very simple she is just to young.

we will start our search for a 'brand' new maid, no transfers and stuff
happy.gif

anyone has a realiable agent to recommend?

also another friends agency recommended a 41 year old maid, who has been here before but is now back in phillipines.. i am a bit skeptical..
i am happy to hear the mummies comments from here
happy.gif

Thanks!

Hi ladies,

hasn't been chatting for while. hope everyone's fine with their maids!

vone n janet,
guess what, i didn't use swift arrows in the end..cos i have to re-select the maid cos she was underage and there was pratically no choices for me at all. and again she did the same thing, give me all the biodatas (all married which i wanted single) and ask me to choose. again its vry different from what you girls tell me abt your experiences with your agencies loh.

so in the end i go to the one that 2005 recommended. homekeeper. wanted to go there first before going express, but wow they have so many biodatas and service was definately better, so we did everything there and then on the spot that day. maid is scheduled to come end march/early april.

janet,
can you email me your timetable cos i didn't received it. thanks a lot. [email protected]

hi butter8,

you can try homekeeper at beauty world centre. their website is www.homekeeper.com.sg

hi 2005,
thanks for recommending, but i realise their agent fees are higher than what you paid for the other time. but overall the service is good.
happy.gif

I've decided to extend maid's contract in June. Just wondering, would you do the wp extension yourself or you'll prefer to get Agency to the wrk with extra charges ?

1) Is it advisable to draft out an "Contract Agreement" with maid ? If so, does anyone have a draft ?

2) If maid is returning Sin after 2 weeks' holiday, during her absence, her salary is in full or pro-rated ?

cat_tail,

i paid $299 for the agency fees (full loan payment), $100 for security bond and $80 for medical insurance.

butter, i hv pm my agent's contacts 2 u. u can chk them out. mmm... if i were u, i'll nt take d maid.

ribena, gd 2 hear tt u hv selected ur maid.
happy.gif

ma22, i'll do d extension myself. no pt 2 let d agency earn my $$.
happy.gif

1) do u hv d old contract agreement? if yes, then u can reuse it. if u need a copy, let me noe & i'll 4ward mine which is prepared by my agency 2 u.
2) according 2 my contract, if my maid goes back 4 her 2 wks holiday, her salary is pro-rated. bt it's up 2 me. if i m veri happi wif her wk, then i can pay her 4 her 2 wks holiday so tt it's a form of bonus 2 her.

Tamarind,
My mum & I think it's best to let the maid go back instead of extending her. I've been thinking about that. We are grateful she has helped a lot.
Work wise, she is really not bad but her mum misses her. My son is in K2 this year, so training a new maid is easier now than in Oct next yr when he's in P1 and having exams.

With a new maid, I will try to be strict with her in the beginning.

hi ribena,
im glad u found e recommendation useful, hopefully e maid whos arriving will b gd. i hv 2 frens who used homekeeper, both hv renewed contracts aft 2 yrs.

mine is satisfactory so far. she takes gd care of my bb n keeps e hse clean. only abit greedy n sometimes never use her brains, but hubby n me r glad we chose her cos she doesnt give us any prob..

u chose indon or filipino huh?

Thanks Ribena,
Am quite impressive at their website cos they have the maids biodata on-line. And it's very useful for me to take my own sweet time to browse thru. So far I have already screen a few out.
happy.gif

Btw Mummies,
Need some advise. Do u think I should pick a very young single maid or married maid to take care of my bb?

Hi all,

I have an indon maid but I dun intend to extend her contract when it ends in Sep this yr. Can anyone gimme your impression of Filipina maids?

Janet,
I can understand your reluctance to let her go. Who wants to train a new maid all over again ? Furthermore you have known her for 2 years and understand her character. With a new maid there is always this uncertainty at the beginning that she will do something funny.

cat_tail,
I would prefer a married one, whose age is between 25 -29. Try not to get one over 30 years old. Also don't get one whose baby is very small, she may miss her baby very much. Indonesians/filipinos usually marry and give birth at 18 years old, so by 25 their kids should be at least a few years old.
A married woman with children to support, will be keen to work hard to earn money. Those single ones sometimes come to Singapore with the intention to play, not to work.

Kris,
There is generally no difference between Indonesian and filipino maids. Filipino maids cost more than Indonesian. The higher salary is hardly justifiable since they do exactly the same work as Indonesians.

Most people think that filipinos speak better English, but I know by my personal experience this is not true. I got one ex-maid who cannot communicate in English. Even if your filipino maid can speak good English, I heard some people complain that their kids learn to speak English with a filipino accent ! You don't want that to happen, right ?

tamarind: Thank.
happy.gif
I'm still thinking of what nationality maid to get.. sigh.. headache. Talking abt filipino-accented English, my toddler now speaks Indon-style broken English! And my Indon maid tells my girl abt ghosts and about death... wah piang... AND she has also learnt to bite her nails from my maid!!!!

tamarind: Thank.
happy.gif
I'm still thinking of what nationality maid to get.. sigh.. headache. Talking abt filipino-accented English, my toddler now speaks Indon-style broken English! And my Indon maid tells my girl abt ghosts and about death... wah piang... AND she has also learnt to bite her nails from my maid!!!!

Dear all,

I am new mother, thanks for all the valuable advises. I need to hire a maid as I have just given birth and would need someone to help me with the housework.

Janet,

Can you share with me your schedule/timetable?

Babycutie,
Can e-mail a copy of your templates?

Thanks a lot, my email address is [email protected]

Janet: You said the Filipino maids will teach each other how to let their employers not keep their money. What are these tricks ah? Can share?

Thanks tamarind,
I think will just shortlist the mother.

kris,
My ex is a Fillipino maid & her English is so-so, tat's y she dun like to talk to me. She's very smart, cannot cook, spendthrift & very very picky on food. She luv to chat with any ppl she sees & enjoy yakking on phone calls or SMSing. Anyway, I have already kicked her out of the house after she was caught secretly making phone calls outside. Now trying to look for Indo.

cat_tail: my current indon maid also very smart, and worse still THINKS she IS very smart. She has lots of experience working in Saudi Arabia. She's also v picky of her food and SMSes the whole day... I know that she used to make phone calls outside when I send her out to buy groceries but I didn't mind... I dowan to continue with her cos she's not very careful with young children despite my telling her over and over again not to do certain things and my hb can't stand her attitude whenever he tells her to correct something. She has also spoiled our master bedroom air conditioner by breaking the cylinder inside and she has scrubbed the toilet taps and shower head so hard that the silver paint had come off. My fans also all scratched cos of her over-enthusiastic srubbing.
sad.gif

I really hope my next maid will be better...

Hi Cheeriomum,
Just emailed to you.

Kris,
I think she will say her family needs money or whatever. It really depends on how much you trust her.

Tamarind,
I'm grateful for all the effort she spent on my kids. She's very picky of food. Doesn't eat rice, just the chicken or whatever dishes. But I close one eye since she eats so little. My PUB bill never increased all this while. No matter how good she is, she will have to go back one day. I know we will all miss her but what to do ?

kris,
haha! your over-zealous maid reminds me of my sis' maid who scrubbed her shower curtains so hard that the graphics were gone!
Have you ever considered myanmar maids?

babygrace: never tot of myanmar maids leh.. cos there are so few... are they gd? What language do they speak?

All: Can I terminate my maid's contract a few months earlier and send her back?

kris,
Tat's nightmare! Err.. lesson learn, never get maid that has working experience in overseas.
Yes, U can send her back by buying her a 1 way ticket.

cat_tail: I think I treated her too well at the beginning lah.. till now she's more or less obedient with me and show proper respect but ONLY to me loh!
sad.gif

hi, all

may i know anybody install webcam in the house???
to spy the maid ??? did your maid know about it??
anybody can share with me ???

Janet,
Yes the most important thing about a maid is to be able to take good care of the kids.

kris,
Is your current maid your first maid ? How can she SMS all day ? I don't allow my maid to even keep a handphone. There was once she got it from her friend, I confiscated it.

Hi Kris,
If you are going to send her back, don't give her advance notice. Otherwise whole night you won't be able to sleep. Get the air-ticket, then ask her to pack up and go.

Back