Advice Needed - Baby Having Blocked Nose

lanichua

Hi All,

Last night, my 3 mth old baby had a blocked nose. She had difficulties breathing, so woke up from her sleep at 4am, and then made these snorting sounds (like a pig!). It happened again when she was taking her afternoon nap today. Any advice on what I need to do to alleviate this problem and discomfort? Thanks.

Hi there,
when my girl had bad blocked nose many months ago, I found that, other than medication from the doctor, rubbing her back and chest with vicks helped. Also that putting her more in an upright position makes her breathe easier. For babies as young as your girl, use baby vicks (bought from watson or guardian) and put her to sleep on your tummy while you half sit against a pillow. Will be very tiring for you though...
Hope she gets better soon.

Hi Lani & Linda,
just a note..do not put vicks or baby vicks (snuffle babe?) near babies' nostrils.

wat i do is:
1. use nose drops or saline drops
2. use nasal aspirator to remove the mucus
3. put her sleeping a bit inclined (i place a folded blanket below her cot mattress at the head side, so the whole cot mattress is a little slope)

Hope this helps!
happy.gif

Hi Linda & ohmig0sh,

Thanks so much for your advice! I really appreciate it. I will take them all into consideration. Anyway, it happened again last night/this morning. She woke up this morning with a blocked nose, so I've decided to bring her to her PD today, just to see if anything's wrong and to get some medication.

Btw, can I check if any of you let your babies sleep in an aircon room? My girl does, and I'm not sure if this is good for her in the long run. We've tried putting her in a non-aircon room, with a fan on, but she perspires like crazy! And when she is hot she will get cranky, so we have no choice but to let her be in an aircon room. Any advice/feedback?

Lani Chua,

I son used to sleep in aircon room, he always had breathing problem and dry cough at night. After I puting him in a non-aircon room, he gets better.

I use this Karvol drop if my children have blocked nose. It very effective it help them to clear the nose and can sleep thru the night. U can buy it from watson or pharmacy. A box comes with 10 capsules of oil. Wat I did is I will have half a bowl of hot water then put a capsule in and leave the bowl in their bedroom.

Lani,
My daughter sleep in air-con room, like urs she will perspires like mad even if i only on the fan directly at her.

What temperature do u let her sleep in? We normally set it to 25 degree.

Aircon is dry, so i will have a bowl of water place in the room and a bottle of water for my daughter and let her drink in the mid of water.

Hi Lani,
my baby sleeps in the aircon room especially when the weather nowadays is very hot. Coz he gets cranky and cannot sleep when it's hot. And he perspires a lot. In the end develop heat rashes. So, i let him sleep in the aircon room. But i set the temp to 24 or 25 degrees.

Lani,
Read somewhere that you turn hot shower on then close the door and later allow you kid to breathe in the vapour.

esparto,
Thanks so much for the tip - I will definitely look for it at the pharmacy today and try it at home over the next few days.

hong & ic,
Thanks for your feedback. Yalah, the weather these few days very hot! And my daughter cannot tahan lah. Btw, the aircon temp in her room is set at 24-25 only, never lower than that. I also let her drink some water, around 2-4oz if she happens to wake up in the middle of the night or during her naps - it seems to help alleviate the blocked nose.

Hi All,

Just wanted to let you know that yesterday, I brought my girl to the PD because of the blocked nose, as I was worried she may have caught a flu bug. Then when the PD saw her, he said prob. not flu, but a BIG piece of nose shit stuck in her left nostril, thus fully blocking her breathing! So he proceeded to dig her nose for her, and one WHOLE GIGANTIC piece of nose shit came out! Aiyoh, so paiseh one! Go all the way to PD just for him to dig her nose for her! And then got to pay $45 some more for consultation! Luckily can claim medical costs from hubby's company...

Anyway, he said it's ok for her to sleep in aircon room, so long as temp is above 24 degrees. And he also said can let her use Vicks.

Hi,

my baby also has blocked nose, but it is an everyday thing...the PD says he has sensitive nose...if this is the case, should I use vicks ? i mean use everyday ? will it help to stop the block nose totally ?

IZ,
My mumn tried this on my boy before: Have a little Mentholathum on your palm and rub it against the other palm till it's very hot before allowing your kid to inhale it. A little will do.

Hi Helena

Will this totally cure him of the blocked nose or jus for tat day only ? my baby has blocked nose since 1 mth......... still having it...the PD says he will grow out of it only when he is older....will this make him dependent of the Mentholathum ?

Hi Lani, I m curious to know how PD dig nose shit out for bbies? My bb always have nose shit.. but I dig until he can recognise the cotton bud already.. so he will always try to squirm his way out once he sees the cotton bud..

jannie,
He used a cottonbud, but make sure it's those small one. he said if it's very stubborn, can drop 1 drop of water into the nostril first, and then use the nasal aspirator to suck out.

Aiyoh, the PD dig out very hard leh! My baby cry until so loud - must have been painful! At home I don't dare dig as hard as him, so I do very slowly lah...

Hi all mums
Well ask for nose drops when u bring your bb to see a PD. It works for my daughter, it helps to clear d mucus, so bb will feel more comfortable.

The air at my area must be very dusty. cos my baby's nose easily gets blocked within 4 days. I used nose drops that I got from the clinic. Feeling insecure about too much drugs at such a young age, I went to buy safety 1's nose aspirator pump. Works ok esp when it's used with right pressure and when after a bad crying spout. Just worry about her nostrils getting too big...
happy.gif

hi happy mummy,
it's Iliadin
happy.gif

Hi ohmama,
can try saline instead of nasal drops. can buy from pharmacies
happy.gif
can put some saline to moisten & then use aspirator, so that u dun have to wait for ur baby to finish crying for moistening effect
lol.gif

haha, I'm quite terrified to put liquid onto her nose. It's quite a feat to get the nose drops/aspirator/my fingers near her nostril in fact. With liquid just worry it'll 'choke' her. But think I'll give it a try the next round when the hubby is in.

Hi Ohmama,
Heheh..dun need to worry too much..just put 1 or 2 drops..same as nose drops. I'm more terrified of putting nose drops for my girl cos afraid it'll get into her eyes if she struggles..for saline, it's quite safe even if get into her eyes or mouth.
I also had the same concern last time-choking. But after i tried it on myself (to give myself peace of mind)..it's actually ok. Have asked PD & GP also..both also said better to use saline..if doesn't work then resort to nose drops.
happy.gif

in desperate situations when your baby (and you) and really not gotten any sleep at all, i wld also try nose drops as recommended by some others. it's called iliadin but becareful that you get the 0.025% one that is for children under 6 yrs. i used the adult version of this myself and it sure does work wonders. so can imagine the same effect for babies.

How abt kids Vick rub?
Can apply some on the chest and the back when the child slept.

It may not be as effective as nose drop but it does helps a bit.

hi..my bb is also having this problem but she doesn't sleep in air con room..

i have tried using the drop and then suck out using the aspirator..but still can hear the blocked sound

went to the PD yday she used the machine with the tube to suck out..bb cried terribly but think it's too hard and couldn't come out..so any solution?

is it advisable to use the vicks to put on her nosetrils?

Lam Yvonne
It's not advisable to use vicks to put on your bb's nostrils. It can sting her delicate skin. What you can do after rubbing on the vicks (spread it on your fingers 1st) and apply it on her chest and back adn then in front of your bb's nose, rub your fingers together for her to breathe in the vapours of the vicks.

If her block nose still don't clear, you might want to bring her back to the PD, this time round pd might give you nose spray

since yr baby so young, should bring her to the PD. PD will suck the mucus out..so easier for her to breath. Check the vicks label. Not advisable for baby's under 1 year old.

hi... there is another option other than sucking it out, a seawater nose spray. my bb is 1 tat cant suck, cos b4 they can get anything, already bleeding and all they can get is blood, makes it worse. i bot tis sterimar physiological sea water microspray fr kk to use. usually i will use tis to clear the nose b4 i puff her (nose drop dun work for my bb, so gotta puff, bt not ventolin).

it scares her a bit cos stinging, bt it clears immediately so at least she doesnt choke. she's ok aft a while. its especially gd if the musuc is thick or already dry, and cant suck out using bb nose sucker. i learnt fr my PD cos she will use tis b4 she suck bb.

My baby block nose become worst if sleep in a air con room so usually i will on the fan instead and you can really see the different.

I agreed with rac's mumy.

My gal, now 2mths+3weeks, has excatly the same prob when she was 1mth plus. Always nose blocked. Sometimes can't see the shit at all.

The first time I can't see the shit n so couldn't use the cotton wool to dig out n got to bring her to see PD.

The PD used the nasal spray that is from seawater one n sprayed on her nostrils n of course, she cried initially ... but subsequently when I applied on her when I couldn't see the shit n she has nose blocked, she only wailed a few seconds then she happily smiles.

btw not necessary use cotton bud.. if pressure too hard, may hurt bb nose.. juz roll the cotton wool to a stick like by applying a bit of water will help. It seems most effective if after bb cries or after bath.

mum in law of my wife 's sis uses his mouth to suck the mucus out (wife nephew)....it the best way.
of course it up to individual.

hi all

i tried the above. Use aromatherapy. Used saline drops plus the pigeon thing. Let her sleep with head elevated, but still got nasal/nose blocked sound.

will it go away on its own ?? For how long ?

hi stumbled_by
i would caution against aromatherapy cos its hard to control the concentration and it may affect the baby more than you want.

if you are using saline, good. there is also another drop called illyadin (can get from pharmacy but make sure you get the infant version) or get from your pd. alternate between saline and illyadin every 3 hours, up to 2 days.

I suppose the pigeon thing means the pump? use that only when the mucus is soft... probably a few minutes after applying the saline.

If your baby is still feeding and sucking well, his breathing is not seriously blocked, it should be okay.

Oh, and try to avoid having the fan blow sstraight at his face. Try not to use aircon too.

Our son had stuffy nose for about 10 days before it went off. no need to worry too much.

when does this block nose syndrome go away? i think it's affecting my girls feeding. she keeps crying on the bottle. and it's v stressful at every feed. when she's sleeping her breathing seems fine but when she starts to feed she'll fuss cry struggle and making noises with her nose. it affects her swallowing too - can hear gulping sounds and she starts to cry.

ValC
not sure if there is a phase...
if it only happens during feeding, it might be the teat size causing her to need to suck harder or too fast flow causing her to choke, or other things during the feed that affects, like whether she prefers to be sitting inclined, lying down etc.
If it really affects her appetite, then maybe should go see a pd for a more thorough check.

yes, i guess we are lucky?

but we also made sure that the conditions are right - eg no direct fan blowing, no aircon, and clearing the nose even when he struggles and cries, dropping of saline and ilyadin.

ozzie

i find the pigeon pump to remove mucus is really ineffective. it can only pump out a little.bb still have nasal noise after that.

i guess i cant live without fan(daytime) and aircon(nighttime). So i still let bb be expose to all this..

Hi,

Just to share this, I use Karvol drop too like some mummy whenever my baby girl suffer from block nose. The package comes in a blue box with a baby pic sleeping soundly. A box comes with 10 capsules of oil.
How I do it is : I will take 1 capsule, drip the oil on the hankie and leave it beside the baby or somewhere near the baby. The smell of the oil will clear the baby block nose.
Its effectively helps my baby to clear the block nose and can sleep thru the night. It works surprisingly well.
You can get it at pharmacy or watson.
Hope it can help u a little.
happy.gif

hi carmen,
bought Karvol drop for try yesterday.
my gal suffer from block nose too, & start block every day from 9pm. Can't sleep well, so both me & baby get sick... bcos bb wake up every 1 to 2 hrs...
I tried it last night, it really help. no more block nose & sleep vy sound thro'out the night. Thanks for sharing.

Other mummies oso can try if your bb has this problem.

i would recommend karvol drops too... i will use that for my boy whenever he has blocked nose...

alternatively... i will rub some vicks vaporub on his feet and put on socks for him after that...

he will sleep soundly throughout the night with the above 2 methods...

Hi ymc,

Great to hear that it works. Hope that your baby recover soon.
I know what you mean. Once my baby fall sick. I couldn't sleep well too.

One gentle reminder, try not to let the oil touches your baby skin.
I drip it on my babys PJ once. And the oil came into contact with her skin. Within less than 5 mins she got red patches all over her. I have to clean her with a wet cloth immediately.

Hi kit,
Yup, I heard that the vicks idea works very well too. But I hear from my friends that it can only be use on babies 1 yr and above. Is it true???

hi mummies,

I stumbled upon this thread yesterday. Immediately went to pharmacy to grab Karvol capsules. My gal slept very well last night.

She has been down with a cold for the past one week. We applied otrivin nasal drops and that helped to soothe her blocked nose. However, otrivin drops can only be used for one week. Prolonged and frequent usage can lead to ultrasensitive nose.

We switched to Sterimar nasal spray 2 days ago.

Thank God I read this thread. We could stop stuffing liquid down her nostrils for once last night.

I have a question: how long can Karvol drops be used for?

Just to share with all mummies.
My boy has been having blocked nose and bad coughing for two weeks and is not getting better even taking medicine from PD. Then his nanny introduced me to take this fruit powder from Nutrifresh and after taking for a few days, he gets well. Amazing!
Any mummies interested, can email me at [email protected] for more details.

Hi Lani,

Just some thoughts on this topic... "snorting noises" and blocked nose can be pretty common in some babies due to a sinus problem or allergies (eg: to allergens from pets). They normally go away once baby grow up (when nasal structures expand).

But of course there may be other attributing factors to this and its best to check this out with yr PD who may prescribe nosedrops or medication to counter allergies or ease the nosedrop.

Hope this helps.
happy.gif

Reactions: jly
Hi ladies,
My baby's only 2 wks old and been having blocked/runny nose. We also can't sleep without aircon as room is very small and humid even with a very strong fan blowing around.

Is the sterimar nasal spray too forceful? Karvol only recommended for infants 3 months and above ley... pls help.

PD has assured us exactly what Mrs P has mentioned but baby's having difficulty breathing and jolts awake in middle of sleep due to blocked nose which is heartbreaking to watch. I even tried sucking with my mouth and managed to get some out but i know there are more clots stuck deeper inside. Afraid my sucking will hurt him. Tried the aspirator, tollyjoy, but stopped cos got a little out only and afraid will expand his nostrils.

Very desperate.. for around a week liao... since he was born i noticed he's got blocked nose but nurses say it's fine. But is it reall fine?? I've got to do something right?? Even though he's feeding fine?

Hi ladies,
My baby's only 2 wks old and been having blocked/runny nose. We also can't sleep without aircon as room is very small and humid even with a very strong fan blowing around.

Is the sterimar nasal spray too forceful? Karvol only recommended for infants 3 months and above ley... pls help.

PD has assured us exactly what Mrs P has mentioned but baby's having difficulty breathing and jolts awake in middle of sleep due to blocked nose which is heartbreaking to watch. I even tried sucking with my mouth and managed to get some out but i know there are more clots stuck deeper inside. Afraid my sucking will hurt him. Tried the aspirator, tollyjoy, but stopped cos got a little out only and afraid will expand his nostrils.

Very desperate.. for around a week liao... since he was born i noticed he's got blocked nose but nurses say it's fine. But is it Really fine?? I've got to do something right?? Even though he's feeding fine?

Hi ladies,

Very desperate.. for around a week liao... since he was born i noticed he's got a bit blocked nose but nurses say it's fine. But is it Really fine?? I've got to do something right?? Even though he's feeding fine?

Back