A fresh thread looking for Melbourne mummies

Hi,

Anyone knows which ISP plan is good and cheap with 3GB upload & download (like mobile partner in SG)? Lazy to find out...so many of terms here:p TIA

Dymples,

Thanks for the info.

Cheri,

Regarding the tax, you may want to check on http://www.ato.gov.au to find out more. But I guess your hubby's coy will be in a better position to advise. We'll be taxed in Au based on the visa we're holding.

Bad traffic in Hawthorn? Hope that's not a norm?
happy.gif

Dymples, thanks for sharing!

hi,

anyone can advise whether it's safer to stay in house or apartment here? Houses here are typically without grilles...Wonder how safe it is??

hi,
My preference is house if there is a choice. Someone tell me, if you are unlucky, you get an apartment with alot of teenagers or few early 20s sharing. Then you will have to be prepared for alot of noisy parties and music. So we were advised to get an house if possible.

However, places nearer the city or at the city are mostly apartments. Houses are very expensive.

How safe are the houses, well if u get out of the city and inner suburbs. Most of the accomodations are houses. So I guess it should be pretty ok. However, u do need to research on the suburbs. You can find reports incidences of crime rate per suburb on the internet. Some of the higher crime rates are nearer to the city. And the place you stay also determines your car insurance. The safer the suburb, the lower your car insurance. You can buy a report on the surburbs from ther internet.

Shopping, harbour town at docklands, DFO in the city and moorabin for branded stuff, chadstone (biggest shopping center). Actually most of the shopping center are the same, they all have david jones, meyers, big W, target, K mart, coles or safeway

je
hahah i rem i asked the same question abt houses or apts earlier...we oso think house is nice...sthg diff, more space.

hopeac
if we prefer to stay not too far away from Chadstone, which suburbs should be we looking at ah? suburbs wif a fair amt of asians & asian stores...

Hi JE,
Welcome to melb! Its been really cold and windy these few days hasnt it? Think it will be better around the weekend.
happy.gif

As for ISP, we are using TPG. Not bad.. competitive rates and no upload charges. Speedwise also good cos we are on the ADSL2. But since u may be moving home, you better check if there is a fee incurred to move the broadband from one location to another. The last i heard is the ISP will charge. So depending on how long u will be staying in collins st and whether the place u move, the same ISP you choose will have an exchange in ur location (e.g. some places, some ISP can only provide ADSL1 and not ADSL2). Of cos if you go with the big names, like telstra and optus, not much problems there, except higher monthly charges. :p Alternatively, there is also prepaid internet plans if you are using it for short term, then subscibe once you are in a permanent location?

Whenever i drive to richmond and hawthorn, there is quite a bit of traffic but it also depends on the day/time. Generally okie during weekdays while pple are working. Off work time around 5-6 can be quite bad. How do you like it here so far? Havent had the need to see GP yet but there is one near our place along La trobe st.

Hows the place at collins st? We are pretty much staying put here. Our place is at flagstaff gardens. If you are coming to vic mkt again, let me know? Can meet up
happy.gif
As for shopping, harbour town and DFO at southern cross can find branded stuff at factory outlet prices. Sometimes we drive up to Highpoint whenever we go to footscray for marketing.

As for housing, i second what Hopeac said. I would opt for house too, esp if have kids. More space lor. I see my frens' houses out in the suburbs all very nice. Seems safe too but they do install some sort of alarm system. Staying in city has its pros like more convenient if working or studying in the city. Less time/$ spent travelling. So far so good, no one has any noisy parties yet! Hahaha I think the condo resident committee here quite strict :p

Hi Hopeac,
Ya. That's wot fren advised too. Just go to GP. Erm what's bulk billing? Most GP do it rite?

aurorin
does ur apartment come wif a swimming pool? that's one of the things we most sorely miss if we choose to stay in a house haha

hi Aurorin,
I thought so at first. My friend explained that the bulk bill ones usually more crowded. And they dont small talk. Those who answer questions, give more service charge more. So need to out of pocket.

I am also using TPG. Now the connection is ok. But during the whole summer, every 5 mins it gets disconnected.

Cheri,
Ya.. got a heated indoor pool, a small gym and a tennis court. So far havent used yet. The pool here cannot compare to those in the condos in SG lor.. more like lap pool.. but at least its heated so winter can also use. Heh heh..

Ah.. get a house with pool? heh heh or you can always get a inflatable one for the kids and those water sprinklers.. heh if i have a house i will want.. looks fun
happy.gif

hopeac,
I c... well.. no wonder most pple self medicate unless no choice. :p

aurorin, we're staying very near!! mine is just opposite of southern cross station!!! will give u a ring if i'm going to qv market again. i had not been to the DFO at southern cross yet....btw, where do you shop for baby's stuff?

actually i prefer to stay in condo here with facilities and it's much safer....also, easier to settle meals cos i don't cook at the moment...but again, hv to find a good school for my elder one...went to hawthorn again yesterday arnd 10+am. the traffic was slightly better. brought my children to a park there. they're so excited....my baby enjoyed her swing ride so much! it's good to stay there too, but security is my main concern if were to stay in house....

talking abt mobile/internet plans, already spent quite a fair bit on optus. unlikely to get the TPG ADSL now since we're not sure if we're going to stay put in this condo or move somewhere else...

aurorin
the heated indoor pool sounds good...ur sprinklers idea's fab too! maybe we can visit each other in future then can enjoy both hahaha

je
i went to the dfo at southern cross when i was in melb in may. so so only..din buy much. nt that cheap either.

how much r u paying for ur condo now? how many rooms, size, what r the facilities? hv to pay conservancy like in SG...any diff btw Oz & SG condos?

hi,

anyone can recommend a spirit-filled christian church near city? thinking of going to city life if can't find one near city.

hi,
We are attending an asian church in Rowville.http://www.acfchurch.com/. Not sure if you want visit. We like the church and it has a good sunday school

By the way, would you like to join my cell group tomorrow night. We are having a potluck dinner tomorrow follow by cell group. Since you are new here, it may be good to meet up with some follow malaysians or singaporeans. And your kids are around my kids age. So we should have a few kids around their age. They will be entertained.

JE,
Wow.. so you are quite nearby!
happy.gif
Ya, let me know if are going to QV market again. You are right.. the condo here not like SG, with many amenities etc. But of cos cannot compare apples with oranges... just think about how cheap landed property is compared to SG.

I dont think the DFO has much interesting things, esp for kids. Harbourtown at docklands also have factory outlets, including pumpkin patch. For most things, i like to go to Baby Buntings. Its abit like Kiddy Palace. Some of the stuff on Specials are cheaper than supermarket (e.g. diapers, wet wipes). The one i go is @ Rosamond road, near a big shopping centre call Highpoint (got saveway, myers, target etc, free parking). Its just a bit further up from footscray.

For groceries, we found footscray market pretty good, esp for asian veggies. 3 big bunch of Cai Xin for $2.

Cheri,
Haha when u are here, remember to jio me over ur place to play under the sprinklers in summer and you can come over for the heated pool in winter. :D

I think the condo JE stay in is much newer than ours. Ours dont have a spa just tennis court/bbq pit, pool and gym. This place pretty old cos my family bought it almost 12yrs liao. Have to pay mgt fees.. about $400/mth. Used to be cheaper, but the mgt committee raised it.. to 'maintain' the facade etc. Heard that they will change our garden tiles next year. So they better lor... :p

mummies
do u guys hv a list of To-Do stuff b4 u relocate? stuff to look into both in SG & Oz? can email me if you hv?

Hello Mummies!

Really thrilled to find this thread. Was asked by a friend to join her at the other forum, instead bump into this - which is even closer to heart!

Ok, bit of self-intro. A MTB who has been living in Melbourne for past 15 months, until recently got back to Singapore for work. Due in Nov, the pregnancy - enjoying totally! Heading back to Melbourne in Sept. - just in time for our new born!

Btw, there's a HUGE group of us (abt 15?) Singaporean ladies based in Melbourne from the Brides forum. We are still very much in contact and have regular meet up in Melbourne. Would LOVE all of you to meet up too!

We are mostly married and some are just also entering into Motherhood. How exciting is that! Most of us live in the SEastern suburb. I used to live in an apartment along St Kilda Rd, due to the change at work, we intend to look to buy a house in SEastern suburb as my husband works around there.

Though I am just got out of the brides forum and married for less than 12 months, have forgotten my password! So now creating another one....

Was trying to read all of your posting.. too much to absorb.. esp. while at work... shhhhh...

Cheri, I am not sure if my list fits you... cus mine is all baby new born stuffs! Trying to remember 15 months ago when I move, I guess most important is to try to get all banking stuffs, government stuffs (Singpass) etc sorted out before you leave. While over there, might be tricky to transfer/transact without going online with valid password etc.

So I presume you mummies are all going to Melbourne for good? Not coming back SIN?

Oh yes, aurorin, you mentioned Baby Bunting. I know there's one along Warrigal Rd. Is that cheap? I fumbled into so many other online website too which am very tempted to try. I have had many good experience with Oz online shopping while preparing my wedding in Melbourne last year!

Hi Cheri,

Eh, my to-do list was in my head. Mainly to financial stuff like get my insurance etc to go on Giro, sort out my online accounts/statements/passwords for my banking, investments etc. I sourced out ISP/telco before i left SG and got a tel line connected before i flew here. I guess it will only be applicable if you are moving straight into a perm home.

I find www.melbourne.vic.gov.au quite helpful cos i needed more info on the community services, esp for kids (e.g. maternal and child health centres location etc). Since we knew where we will be staying, we also made sure we took down all the relevant tel and address of impt things (e.g. telstra service tel, GPs ard the area) since internet will not be available for the initial few days.

Then there is the packing and the list of things i need to bring and how to fit everything in. If going by freight, then will need to make sure have all the freight details, contact numbers, list of boxes itemized, documents etc.

Ah and most important, change enough Aus dollars cos it takes at least 3 working days to get check/bank order cleared and set up banking account plus get them to activate debit card. We can only apply for credit card after 3mths in the country.

After that, just relax, pack, make sure got all impt documents and air tix ready. :D The rest of the stuff, if missing, can always buy here. :D

Hi Lilybliss,

Congrats on your journey to motherhood, i think you will find it rather enjoyable. Will you be a SAHM here in Melb? Anyway, will love to meet up when you are here.
happy.gif

I think the price in Baby Bunting generally cheaper esp when there's sale or specials. I quite like going there because there is a greater range of things like car seats, stroller etc compared to supermarket/dept store. Some things the supermarkets/dept stores do not carry which i managed to find in Baby Bunting (e.g. cot bumper cushions). In fact i was directed there by the sales lady from Myers when i was hunting for baby stuff. Toys wise, i would wait for sales at target or bigW etc. There's a toy sales coming up at Target and BigW where FisherPrice stuff are going for up to 70% off for some items.

Have not really tried the online shopping here yet (though i did in Spore)... do you recommend any sites? I rather enjoy going out and actually seeing the actual items when buying, esp when purchasing things for my baby (Got a few choice items at Pumpkin Patch factory outlet down at harbourtown). But, if there's cheap and good online stuff, i'm game! :D

lilybliss
welcome to the thread & being a new mother soon! wow, the group of mummies u know is a big one...r they all staying in Melb now? any idea which SE suburbs they r generally staying in? Esp those wif young kids? i'm now in the process of looking for a place so hopefully, can stay near some mummies then we can org playdates for the kids or hv dinner get togethers in our homes etc.

mummies
how do u all spend the evenings usually? esp since the stores in melb close early? do u meet up wif neighbours & hv dinners tog etc? so that the kids can play tog too? i've only one child so really hope to find some playmates for her.

aurorin
thanks for the tips on banking etc.phew lots to do haha

Cheri,
For us, my son is school going. It is finishing homework time. Thursday and Friday the shops close at 9+. But certain shops like Kmart close at 9 pm on weekdays, or 24 hours at burwood. Office Works also close at 9+ on weekdays. If it is saturdays or sundays, it is dinner with friends, or dinner out then home.

G'day! I am sure the girls won't mind about me sharing some brief Intro. about them. So here you go...

2 Mummies have daughters aged 3-10? live in Western Suburb (one in Caroline Springs)

1 new mum just gave birth in June, lives in Doncaster

1 mummy with just a bit over 1 year old boy lives a bit further - can't rem. the suburb... its Monash Fwy all the way down towards Dandenong - new estate.

The rest are all hippy (hehe) married wives spreading across Wantirna, Glen Waverly, Box Hill.. my husband and I are also looking area at Bayswater, Rowville... though its a far cry from where we used to live in the city, but we really enjoyed the space and big backyard!

How old are your kids now? Maybe if I can 'hook' you girls up with the older kids mummies for looking out for kids playgroup
happy.gif

Aurorin, try google these on Aust. sites: mybabywarehouse, babyonabudget,dealsdirect.. don't think I can literally cut and paste the link here..... I haven't try any of these yet but very tempted to. Probably needs to research more for exact model and design before I buy online.

Looks like Baby Bunting is the way to go. Earlier, drove to this place along Nepane Hwy away from city, just before Freedom furniture, there's another baby stuff place. Not sure if good too. Probably might swing by when I am back Melbourne.

Shame that I have moved out of the city... was reading the posts earlier, looks like you girls hang around more around the inner city area. Doubt when i go back, we will frequent the city area much.. sounds like me living in kampong isn't it!

lilybliss
wow thanks for the update. Ur frens r spread out everywhere hahah

r the museums mostly situated in the city? We like the Melbourne Museum a lot our last trip there; so interactive & kid-friendly. R there museums or places of such nature outside the city?

my ger's just passed 3 years old. Is there a thread that ur frens visit now in SG Brides? or it's all offline nowadays?

hopeac
yes, school going kids & homework haha...but think the homework in Oz should be much lesser than in SG. Hope we can oso get to know some like minded frens in future who dun mind dinners, get togethers etc.

Hiya! In fact some of them are friends of friends. Well, once Singaporean, especially girls get together, surely have something in common!

I only know the Art Museum near Flinders Station.. not sure about outside city.

I think most of us are already offline. That's why I've forgotten my password! We chat in Facebook more often these days.

Btw, so you girls given up your SG citizenship already? I am now in stage of thinking how I should handle the citizenship issue for my unborn baby.. haha!! Maybe I think too much, but I heard that if I get my child a SG citizenship and if forgo it by age of 13 when they gets to choose, he may have problem returning back SIN.....

hi lilybliss,
Rowville is quite ok. Our church is at rowville, so we have friends staying around there. Monash freeway, 40 mins you are into the city. But I too prefer the open areas. Endevour hills looks nice also. At night, you can see the citylights. We are also out of the city, we are at mordialloc.

Cheri,
Homework is definitely less. But becos he attends chinese school and extra maths at chinese school, he has extra maths, abacus and chinese homework. 8P. But actual school work is readers, 2 pages of maths/english and spelling for the week.

Cheri,

Evenings are usually spent cooking dinner, eating, cleaning up baby, feeding her, playing then put her to bed. Haha by 930pm, after she sleep, then i have time to do my own things. But thurs/fri when shops close later, the free city circle tram goes till 9pm as well so we may stay out later. Guess, it is easier for us to hang in the inner city cos of where we stay. The coles around our places close at 12midnite everyday. Weekends we have time to meet up with friends and go out for dinner.
happy.gif

We liked the melb museum too! Fed sq have NGV (national gallery of victoria) and ACMI (australian centre of moving images), and just across the river is the Ian Potter art gallery. Me and hubby love walking around there. Sunday there's a book market/fair too.

I just went for my new enrolment appt with the nearby maternal&child centre. My ger had her preumoccocal shots and a developmental assessment by the nurse there. I find the services for kids provided quite good, they also ran free breast feeding clinics and have a 24hr hotline. And i was also give info on playgroup around my area. Will be making appt to join one nearby in docklands... can make for friends for myself and my baby.
happy.gif
Will also go to the state library (nearest lib to me) cos they have progs for kids too.

I think everyone else is staying out in the suburbs huh? Envy.. big houses and backyard.. great for kids!
happy.gif

Lilybliss,
I am a singaporean PR (msian passport) and i will try to get an Aussie passport once i meet the requirement. I think Hubby will retain his SG citizenship. For my girl, i want to get Aus citizenship for her. They are allow to have both till 21 before they need to choose. One of my online fren's child has two passports (one from each country). Child has aus citizenship cos' born here and if you register his/her birth before age 1 with the SG high comm in canberra, you can get SG passport for the child based on the fact his/her parents are SGporeans.

However, a bit more tricky for boys because of NS, so technically can keep both passports till 21 but as long as you don't renounce SG citizenship by 13, you are liable for NS even if you have never stayed in SG. If dont go back to do NS, the person can be charged anytime they step into the country. Luckily for girls, no such issue. Just need to decide at 21 whether to be Aussie or SGporean. Who knows, maybe by then, SG will allow dual citizenship?

Btw, i am on facebook so anyone on facebook, can also add me to chat there.
happy.gif

[email protected]

Hi everyone!

Been a long time since i came on to this thread. Wow, so many chatter has passed me by!

Hello to Lilybliss, JE, Ee, aurorin and all on this thread!

I'm a SAHM with 3 kids (two girls and boy youngest born in melbourne, so is a OZ citizen) all under the age of 5. Just moved to Melbourne last nov so have been here for 9 mths. Time flies..

I am staying in the eastern suburb too - Boronia.

We are in the midst of applying for spore citizenship for my boy who was born here..yeah we sure took our time to do so :p He's already 6 mths now.

Aurorin, i heard the age to decide which ctry's citizenship u want to keep by age 10..nt sure if that's the correct info.. Anyway still a long way more to go before we decide.

I'm also on Facebook [email protected]

Just a thought: Why dun we start a group on FB to chat?

Hi Melgirl!

3 kids under age of 5! Wow you must be a super mom! How do you cope? Can i have some tips? (though i only have one)

Re: citizenship,
I've heard 12, 13, but 21 seems to come up most often. Hahaha best is to let the SG high comm pple in canberra say. Perhaps they arent too sure themselves. :p The Aus govt doesnt really care since dual citizenship is allowed here? Complications are only because of National Service. If not, if you don't declare, nothing will happen (if child is girl), the most just return one passport only. Hahaha. But NS is tricky cos MINDEF keeps very close watch to make sure no SG male miss out on NS. So you may have to decide earlier to avoid being charged. The rule is also not clear (on MINDEF end) from which yr child renounce SG citizenship, then child is not considered liable for NS. During my brothers' time, it was 12 yrs old. Now could be younger?

Lilybliss has a FB group chatting (all Melb mummies), really great group! Perhaps she can try to add you in the thread too.
happy.gif
Let me add you on facebook now. Heh heh

G'day Yummy Mummies
happy.gif
Thanks for the warm welcome.

Aurorin and Melgirl - added you both in my FB
happy.gif

Melgirl, you live in Boronia?? Adding one more 'neighbour' to the majority of the SG girls living in Melbourne! Boronia is one of the places we house-hunt too at the moment.

Thanks Aurorin for the NS advise. Yes, my HB and I been calling and running up and down to get info. on NS matters. I personally think its better (in terms of accuracy) to get information from MINDEF and ICA here in SIN rather than the SG High Comm in Canberra. So far this is my finding after calling to the specific person in MINDEF and ICA:

SIN allow dual citizenship (even holding 2 passport) till the age of 21 (cannot renounce SIN citizenship any earlier than 21)
ALL SIN male citizen/PR HAS to do NS at the age of 18
There is absolutely NO WAY to get out of NS as the boy reaches age of 18 will be summons to return SIN for NS. Failing to do so, the Citizenship CANNOT be renounce when he reaches age of 21 as NS is yet to fulfill. Remember all system in SIN govt. are linked.
AUST. allow dual citizenship but SIN don't. So, in worst scenario, if no NS done, can't renounce SIN citizenship, the kid has to give up Oz citizenship.

Now, there are some hear-say. And the MINDEF only tell me its case-by-case basis (*yawn*):

At age of 13, an application of Exit Permit can be applied (to inform the govt. that child is not residing locally, ie. in SIN). The application involves sending through documentation etc. Anything less than 2 years of application (to allow 2 yrs to be away from SIN), its free application. Otherwise, a 'bond' is required (which can be substaintial!) At this stage, if the parents know that they are going to renounce the child Singapore citizenship, it has to be brought to their attention together with this application.

And this application is considered approved on a case by case basis. If not approved, the child has to register NS at age of 16 and do NS at age of 18.

We are in such a dilema. As the citizenship is going to determine a lot of things. But I am too stress these days after trying to clarify and making sure we speak to the right person on the phone re. to the citizenship.

Well, its almost end of the week! Hope you girls are getting ready for the weekend!!

mummies
pls add me in FB [email protected]

re looking for a new place
mummies, how does the sequence go? must I get the address of the house i rent b4 i can ship things over? if i need the address, does that mean i hv to start renting the place even though i've not moved over yet? My hb's company is paying for the shipping/freight so we intend to ship over whatever we can so that we dun need to spend our own $ to buy the stuff in Oz. Is this process rite? Or what other alternatives can u sugg?

1) Engage Oz real estate agent to shortlist some houses for us based on our criteria
2) We fly in to visit those houses that agent shortlisted then decide (do we hv to start paying rental once we decide?)
3) ship over our big stuff (how long does it take shipment to reach?)
4) fly over ourselves

Yo Lilybliss!,

Good on you to get it all clarified. Heh heh i take it that u r carrying baby boy?
happy.gif

I am just thinking... Of cos MINDEF will say all SG males MUST do NS, so they probably wont help you find a way to 'escape' from it. But what i don't understand is how can they be so autocratic to say child cannot renounce citizenship till 21 (after NS)? If person dun intend to be serving the country and be citizen, why force them to servce NS? Machiam like punishment like that. Do NS before we let u go. Why cant child renounce at say, 11yrs if decided that they dont want to come back to SG?

Anyway, i never like how MINDEF does things most of the time.. Heh heh luckily Avery is a gal.. no need to do NS so simpler. MINDEF really complicates matters. Anyway, dont get too stressed.. u still have more than 1 yr, before ur baby turns one to decide if want to register for SG citizenship or not. If you r going to be Melb for good, nevermind la :D

Heh heh.. here weekend is like weekday for me.. :p

My fb is [email protected]

Cheri,
1. Even you decide you want to get the place, you may not get the place. Here hor, need the agent and the owner of the place to like you then rent to you. Some popular houses may have more than 5 submissions. Usually, once you decide on the place, at the stipulated date, you need to start paying rent. THe first month is rent + 1 month bond.

Besides certifying that you have a job, you need local references. They will call your local references to "check" you out also.

2.Shipping via movers take around 6 weeks.

Aurorin, I am stressed cus its going to affect my 'maternity leave' - that's why I said, it will determine a lot of things in our instance. Sigh. I can't imagine thinking abt it things that will happen least 10-20 yrs down the road... yes, most likely going to be baby boy.

Soon my weekend will be like weekday... and everyday will be like weekend!! Can't wait!! But knowing me, when that time comes, I sure hope I can doll up nice nice and go 'opic'!

Cheri, I was also relocated to Melbourne by my company. I didn't get a proper address as we are still looking out. So, I only gave them Country and City as destination. So, Australia, Melbourne.

For me, we shipped furniture like King size bed, sofa, TV, dining table.... so, they got me a 40ft container by KC Dat (then in Australia, it transfer to this company called Kent). It goes by sea shipment - at least one month (I think mine even took almost 2 months!) before we got everything.

Then I had requested air shipment too (about 9 boxes of stuffs) which merely took 3 weeks depending on the clearance at custom.

All in all, they can store the things in harbour for meantime if you're address are not ready yet. I am not sure if this is allowed in all cases.

Re. renting, like hopeac said, you have to put through an application before its approved.

Adding all of FB now!! Will sent a msg ok!

wow, so many posts already!!!

hopeac,

sorry for late reply. thanks for invitation. will let u know if we're going rowville.

was super busy with "houses" inspection and in fact have been doing that everyday!! but sad to say, have not found my ideal home yet. so the search is still going on....

Cheri, i suggest you inspect your ideal home yourself....btw, those housing areas i visited so far are very quiet and dim at nites...you need to find out how safe is the area you want since your hubby will be travelling sometimes...

hopeac
ya, we know abt the local references. Hb has a number of Aus colleagues in Melb so referees not an issue.

lilybliss
what's ur fb name? sorry, a bit confused haha..r u eileen?

where did u stay then when u were looking for a place still? we're wondering if our other option would be to move over & stay in a rented serviced apt or sthg then start to look for our house. Rather than make numerous trips up b4 moving over. Is that more feasible?

je
which housing areas hv u visited so far? can share wif me so that i will take note of those quiet areas too? u r staying in a condo now rite? u rented it? did u fly up earlier to do that?

hi,

anyone knows if it's possible to find fishes like kurau, whitepomphet here for kids? if not, what are the fishes you give to your kids?

Cheri,

I only visited those areas which are less than 5km from city. So, may not be relevant to you. But I guess in general most suburbs are quite similar - quiet and dim at nights, unless you're living near main roads...

Regarding the rental, my hubby's coy helped us to rent. So, it's easier for us. Your hubby's coy should be able to help right?

hi JE,
We usually take whiting, snapper and salmon. They have threadfin here also. I saw before. Maybe the asian fishmongers have a wider selection, the supermarkets have a small selection of fish, usually baramandi and salmon or trout.

Hi JE,
Thought i saw white pomfret at the fish stall in boxhill, quite small. Not very common i must say. So far i got rockling, salmon and flake (comes in fillet w/o bones which is easy to cook for children). For ourselves we had mackeral also. Saw threadfin and other variety of fish in QV market.

je
ur hb's company is an Australian company? If not, how did they go abt doing it? They engaged an agent in Oz? My hb's company is a Canadian firm so they dun really hv direct contacts in Oz. They asked us to look for a place to stay ourselves. But we may be able to claim for the first mth's accomodation. He's given a total pay package whereby we take care of accomodation ourselves.

hopeac, aurorin,

thanks. had been eating salmon and cod for too long...went to boxhill yesterday but only found 1 fishmonger that sells small whitepomphet but not as fresh as what i used to get in SG though it's cheaper $2 each...btw, i tried out the frozen thai durian last friday, but quite disappointed haha...

cheri,

my hubby's coy has its own agent to settle accomodation for staff. since your hubby's coy is not helping in accomodation, you can either fly over and stay in those short-term service apt such as mantra initially and move out once you get your ideal home. or alternatively, your hubby can fly over first to settle the accomodation...

Hello Mummies, Happy Monday
happy.gif
Hope you all have had a fabulous weekend!

Was reading the places and type of fish.. I am totally not a fan of fish. I only eat fillet... hehe... but knowing fish is extremely good for me.. especially now preggie... so forcing myself to eat... also to buy and cook myself... how you all normally cook it? Steam? (I really detest steam)... other options? Hehe... *trying to steal recipe* Which one has the least 'fishy' smell?

Cheri, my company is US based. But we have a Oz office there and has 'Relocation Consultant' to help. But we can actually do it ourselves without that person. Its not that difficult. But be prepared as its different from 'Renting practice' in SG.

We stayed in Punt Hill along Punt Rd (quite near to city) while looking for the Rental Place. Punt Hill is like Quest serviced apartment - quite decent and self contained. 1 bedroom, you can cook, do laundry etc. You can google Punt Hill or Quest for more specific location and description.

Then try Realestate.com to look for Rental place. I think you can contact the 'Agent' for that property for 'Inspection' (check physically that place) before you put up an application if you're interested.

Do you have a suburb in mind already? Close to where your husband works?

JE, R you looking for durians. I know of church mate who brings in malaysian durians. It is suppose to be good also. If you are interested, I can get his contact.

Lily,
We usually grill the fish. Eg. Salmon or Snapper, just put salt and pepper and just grill in the oven. I am a lazy cook. I too hate steam fish.

hopeac,

hehe, i miss spore food haha!! can PM me the contact. will ring him if i "crave" for durian again
happy.gif
btw, i remember you mentioned abt good chinese food like crystal jade. where is it?? boxhill?? saw a few cafe at boxhill...but don't know which one is good.

Lily,

I have been eating salmon and cod since pregnancy til now (cos i'm still breastfeeding my baby). salmon and cod are rich in omega 3. good for baby's brain devt. i usually steam the fish with ginger and i love fish!!! recently, my hubby tried grill it by using the oven, not bad!!

JE,
Ah you found the pomfret! Small hor? Not quite like the ones in SG but then, its the only type i see here.

Lily,
Heh all pregnant women will be asked to eat fish. Like you, me not a big fan also but what to do, its good for baby and good for producing breastmilk (papaya & fish soup). Many ways of cooking fish actually and i actually do like steaming it. Like JE, i put ginger and some slices of tomato. Abit like teochew style (but without the kiam chai and tofu).

Thick fillet of fishes with their skin still on is great for grilling, esp the oily fish. That's my hub's fav, with bits of sea salt/pepper/dash of lemon before eating. If you get cross section fillet (like mackeral), can rub abit of salt to pan fried (best with porridge!) or pan fried then make a sauce (like ginger/spring onion, or sweet/sour).. Western style, you can cut up thick chunks for simple tomato based fish stew. I like stronger tasting sauce (e.g. ginger, tomato) cos it helps reduce the 'fishy' taste.

Hopeac,
wah u have lobang for durian?? Heh heh

Back