A fresh new thread to locate SAHM of yr2006?

Garfield
Actually the best place to let them practice self-feeding is outside.... hee hee! You get what I mean?
Of course, I will apologise to the waiter at the restaurant/cleaner at the food court.

CY
yeah, i think it's the jam too..maybe u should get a bottle of that jam & try to spread it on bread etc for him hahaha..let him use it as a dip for anything & everything

garfield
my cousin oso dun let her kids self feed at home though he's able to do it in sch. She's v fastidious abt cleanliness though she has a helper to clean up the house hhahaha...but she sees no problem wif them not self feeding...partly oso cos her son (4 years old)is small so she wants him to eat more.

CG
yaya, N oso loves to play wif the older kids but not so much cos they sayang her but cos she loves to run, play catch, scream wif them...can see her idolising them lol...just now when she realized we were not getting into same cab as ning, she cried in the cab...i had to 'bluff' her that ning will come over to our place tmr then she stopped crying.

garfield
i guess to her, it's not an impt priority. She feels they will eat on their own when they're older, no need to train such things...anyway, he's able to self feed in sch so it's really no big deal to her if he self feeds or not at home.

Cheri
Thank you for sharing.
Sha had a great fun using <font color="ff6000">glue bottle with paint</font>. No mess at all! So good for me, hahahahaha! I brought 4 glue bottles @ $1.05 before 10% membership discount.
Hee hee, so is N going to see Ning tomorrow?

Any mummies been to <font color="ff6000">Jurong East Swimming Complex?</font>

Sounds interesting; one mummy was sharing:
A friend told us about Jurong East Swimming Complex. It is a local complex run by the council, so the entrance fees are the same as going to any of the public pools here.
But this one is special.
As well as a beautiful 50metre competition pool there is a toddlers pool, a wave pool, a lazy river (my favourite), a jacuzzi, a bubble jet station, and 3 water slides!
You can hire rubber tubes for $2 (pay $5 deposit and they refund you $3) to float around the river. The river is landscaped with waterfalls and rocks and is propelled by water jets, so it can get be quite fast in places. I lie in the tube with my 4 year old on my lap, and the tube spins and bumps into other tubes as we pretend we are floating down the Nile.
There is a cafe on the premises but it has never enticed us inside, and a KFC upstairs if you get desperate for fast food. Otherwise, if you get there early enough, you may be lucky enough to nab a picnic table.
So take the plunge and visit this wonderful water fantasy. The kids will want to come again and again.

cheri

i'm quite sure u saw the starfall phonics at my place.
abt $30 for 15 books.
remember i told u abt them when we saw at magic box n acmamall.com?

McDonald's
The one with pond and outdpprsy is at Henderson/alexandra
It's called Rid Out.
Good to feed the terrapins!

The celebrations at Mac's are ok.
They shld be able to cater to diff age grp.
Ning just attended one n she loves it.

aishite
haha i did a rough stock take and yes i do have abt 300 books, on 2 shelves. I have abt 10 shelves, excluding those on the floor and those downstairs and some stashed away in the cupboard... heehee
so it's a bit of a library, u're right!

Cat
R u referring to Queenstown McDonald?
Don't know why, somehow all children like McDonald... hee hee! Interesting!

CG
i think it's the exposure in a way.
i seldom bring ning to McDonald and she was not able to recog the big M when her cousins were going McDonald's at a very young age.
I told her not too much fries cos bad for health and she was ok.
We hardly bring her there.
she likes the milo, fries n fish fillet. now that she's bigger n more exposed to such junk food she likes la
when she ask to go there i'll give her other options
not sure how long or how far i can influence her with regards to this but hope it'll have a lasting effect on her

just like i dun really like to let them stay out late...
it's a mother's fear that they're so used to staying out late n falling asleep outside that when they are older, say their teenage yrs, they take it as 2nd nature to stay out late
then how to convince her to come home early??!!
yes i've close encounter of kids staying out late so bad that juvenile court had to order probation

i like to think that what we do have lasting effect on our kids
my mom used to bring us to my gran's every sunday when we were younger
likewise we visit my mom every sunday now

i also read that eric khoo was very much influence my his mom(she used to bring him to the movies0, so much so that he's now a film maker.

so what do i want out of my kids?
lots of outdoor!

not so long ago ning asked for a pair of wheelies(those shoes with wheelies at the heels)
we went to look for them but cld not find
ended up she wanted roller blades
i bought for her with some reservations cos she's not really that good at motor skills kind
but she tried on yesterday and loves it!
i was like, good! I like it when my kids are sporty!
never mind she can't swim and has phobia
she can enjoy other sports and i'm happy!

True, most important the kids must enjoy what they like to do!
How to convince her to come home early?
Hmmm... As long as I know her whereabouts, and knowing God will continue to protect her safety, I don't mind.
(I know G will mind, especially Sha is a girl and will ask her 100 reasons why she needs to come back hm late, haha!).
And I also know during teenage yrs, they don't like to be controlled, they also need some freedom and trust from us... hee hee!

CG
went to jurong east swim complex b4...very big space and quite fun for kids...but very crowded during weekends...now june holidays...sure crowded even on weekdays...

cat
i dun think they cater to different age group, but i may be wrong. coz i went to my niece 8th birthday and other niece 2nd bday, they actuallyplayed the same game. the one they asked you to find a few objects (ten cent coins, twnty cent coins, pack of chilli sauce or something...etc...)

cat, cg
okok..that is new to me. i put CY to bed early coz i wanted him to get as much night time sleep as possible coz only during sleep in darkness at certain hours they secrete some hormones. stay out late not good coz of the kinda hormones they secrete that will lead to premature puberty and stuff...that is why children (older ones) are so much bigger these days and reach puberty earlier...therefore earlier sexual awareness without maturity to deal with it etc. (eh, not sure if it explains why CY is so tiny lah...)

but interesting to see both takes..hmmmm...

cat
i rem we used to have this library at home when i was a little girl. the books there are really difficult ones. the day i managed to read one of them, i felt sooooo accomplished..kekekeke...

i still rem it was a book by james herriot,i fell in love with his books ever since!

CG
yes, CY loves their balloons!!! but he lvoes anywhere they gives out balloons!

cheri
haha. yes i have a bottle of jam reccom by dietitian at home. he does eat it but bad habit lah, he will try to lick the jam off the bread and it ends up pretty gross...

macdonalds
queensway shopping centre mac=all the above macs you are talking about? (queenstown?) or ist here another one?

CG
actually kids kampung got bday celebration right?why dun you do it there?can feed and catch fish as well...

CG
great to hear that sha likes the dot paint...ya, it's less messy but maybe cos of that, N still prefers brush painting or hands. She loves squishing the paint in her hands!

no leh, tmr no prog for her except bishan class hhaah...hope she wun rem &amp; nag me...i told a white lie :p

jurong east swim complex is walking distance from my mum's place...used to go there when it first opened. Hee din think it was as great as wat that person in ur post described lol...think chua chu kang swim complex oso quite similar concept. As well as the bukit batok csc club that i go to at times now.

cat
can't rem if i saw the starfall phonics books at ur place &amp; if i did, how they r like. so many types; i'm really confused hahah

CY
hmm bd party at kids kampung sounds cool...v diff &amp; unique leh. Aircon?

re kids staying out late
for me, in their teen years, we'll still impose a reasonable curfew time for her to be back home. dun wanna leave it to chance cos i believe no matter how good the upbringing or values imbibed in them, when they r faced wif temptations, it's easy to do wrong. Not so much an issue of trust but i think the consequences of her actions might still not hit her fully during those teenage years. Of course, ideally, having a relationship of 'friends' wif them would hopefully soothe out watever teenage angst they may hv.

maybe cos it's her bd today, so i'm esp sentimental...

hahha i actually played my wedding day vcd for N to watch..first time! She could recognize cat (she was my jie mei then). After watching J &amp; I toast tea to my parents, started asking, "Nikki where? Ah Yi (my helper) where?" Called my ivory wedding gown 'princess dress'! hahah. It was a pleasant nostalgic journey for me..any mummy showed the wedding videos or photos to ur tots b4? wat was their reaction?

Cg
water slides??? hmm...lena's condo hv rite? hmmm...tampines..got 2 small ones...
but think ju east one is still the biggest with wave pool...

Dsii
Thanks.

YY
Stay out late not good coz of the kinda hormones they secrete that will lead to premature puberty and stuff?
Actually nowadays why children are so mature, maybe because parents are much educated, lifestyle improves, education system improves and etc.
I encountered a few older kids at the pool, around 7-8yrs old asking me about my age, when I get marry, where I live and etc.

Cheri
Kids Kampong has no air-con.
And it is quite inconvenient for those who don't drive.
I had shown Sha twice, not much reaction, maybe because it was couple of mths ago.
But she loves to see our wedding photo, points and says "Papa, Mama, Flowers"

Re: Staying out late
G said "If next time Sha wants to go clubbing with her friends, let's go together with her!"
OMG! I almost faint.

Shauna/Cat/Cheri/CY

Give me about 2-3 weeks to dig out my items in the boxes either at my place or pils. keke. Only have cool cats, clifford, elmo on my shelves to clear now. Very busy battling daily with a shipping company about my parcels for the sprees during my spare time at home. So fused each time i talk to them at home. Cat has the books so maybe can have a look when we are there for playgroup? Me dun think i wanna lug books out to show mummmies unless you confirm taking them, rather let the books rot at home keke. Paisei. Carrying that 11.2kg's C is no joke for my fat arms.

All books to me are precious and great. I will wrap them with clear plastics individually....even for the 300 books of joy readers, rigby, sunshine series. That explains why i am always busy with all these little chores which brings me so much joy to see them in pristine condition. No money to buy nat geo maths
sad.gif
so betta clear my excess to get some money haha.

Re: Swimming
We are now at Safra Yishun to dip every sat. Very serenade, no crowd.
Also there is warm shower for us to use in the clean cubicles. C hates cold shower so we do not bring her to public pool.

CG
Is there warm shower at the public pools? Woodlands pool has just renovated too, with playground.

Pebbles
I used to stay at Yishun, and loved to go swimming at Safra Yishun. Too bad, public pools has no heater.
Each time after swim, I got to rush back home to shower her unless I bring her to Toa Payoh Safra. But Toa Payoh Safra is very quiet, no other kids to play with her.

Yishun or Khatib swimming complex has waterslides? I thought I saw when inside the train, but cannot remember well.

CG
Cool, if only you still stay in woodlands, so near my place! Safra Yishun is very quiet and that's what hb and i like. Find the public pools too noisy for us to spend a weekend.

CG
I hope to train C to be a cinderella too so that i can shake legs.....my dream keke.

Woodlands has the same slide in the swimming pool. But hb will only go to safra and others cos it is quiet.

cat, pebbles-
wow wow wow, the amount of books at home!
pebbles, take ur time. i'm in no hurry.

Self feeding-
actually the therapist just wans to c what he does with spoon n bowl. its more pretend play than actual feeding itself. sidney puts many things in his mouth, but when we put him on his highchair, everything that he picks up ends up on the floor, except the spoon n bowl..
so he's not feeding himself finger food too.

cheri-
go to starfall.com. they have the online version of all the books in the set, i think. u may wanna take a look.

CG-
they get really helpful dont they? when my bro was young, really young, we used to send him ard the house to pick up water for us, take the books etc. haha.

Re:Swimming
Now i am avoiding it totally due to HFMD cos swimming pool is the easier place to caught it wait till it totally clear then i will bring K back to swim.

CG
hahah..that is so cute. CY used to do that when he saw the maid cleaning the floor. once he took off his own pants and used it as rag to clean the floor!

pebbles..
hahah...C is the cinderella then you evil mother liaoz leh...
eih, im not sure which colour set to get leh. CY likes otters but im not sure if he can recognise them from the books or not...maybe play safe and get the cats ones..

but you confirm have or not? coz im buying some stuff from acma just cant decided which one to get...

shauna
you are really mean!!!!poor bro!!! i hope he didnt grow up to have phobia of doing household chores...

CY-
red and orange sets for baby-3 and the rest are for 4-8 or something like that..did u c the ones cat brought to toyrental?
oh man, i think everyone grows up having a phobia of doing housework. how i wish i can put up my legs and not do a thing for a week.. hmm..

CG-
u mean let him feed himself with spoon? we leave him with a bowl n spoon at every meal now. and we demonstrate feeding and use his hands to direct spoon towards his mouth n mine, but he doesnt show feeding skills. he's quite happy to stir n bang the items ard.

Books-
do u give child the book to play with? toss ard? some books recommend that books are left ard for kids to explore and play with,even if it means throwing them ard..
whenever we read, i will hold the book and sidney would help to flip the pages.
then i borrow this bunch of library board books and leave him to play with them. library users are gonna hate me for this.
i realise as long as we handle the books, the child can still help to flip soft pages pretty well.

shauna
there is a type of spoon that comes with a loop for the handle designed for bb to start self feeding. Another type is curvy head.

elmo,cg-
we have a similar spoon as the 1st pic. but the green loop spoon looks interesting.i'm gonna go hunt for this.
he holds his spoons pretty well. but just doesnt put it in his mouth(even when we bring his hand with it to his mouth). and this is particularly bewildering for a kid who mouths quite a number of things.

cg-
yah i'm too kan cheong abt the books. i always tell him "mommy take, mommy hold.." . i cant let him throw or tear his books, i will go crazy.
u c thats the thing with me. eveyrthing for a child is supposed to be experimental, n i'm so uptight.urghs.

shauna,
yar, can understand wat u mean coz i m really precious about my books too. but hv learnt to relax when it comes to emma's books. there's a few that i will let her manhandle, and the ones i like i will put them higher so she needs to ask me for them. hehee... tat way, she can't spoil them! these days i notice more and more that she's "reading" the books herself, as in flipping pages and staring intently, instead of always asking us to read to to her.

oh, on feeding, E finds it easier with a fork than spoon, so i gv her those plastic disposable ones, maybe worth a try?

shauna
I'm those typical mother that don't let my girl self feed at home cos scare of messy. But when I bring her out I will let her self feed. I will bring a few types of spoons along...so that when she doesn't want this I will give the other one to distract her. It works most of the time.

cg,
i lik the cleaning! m making E clean up her own mess at home nowadays, esp after dinner! her dining area looks like a murder scene everytime, bloody red tomatoes and bits of rice. :p

elmo,
i am the opposite! i can't stand it when she gets messy outside coz she wun let us clean her up. even with a bib she gets it all over her clothes, how did u manage?

Shauna
The one with the loop, you can try it from Toysrus.. similar design. Toddler self-feeding has an unique angle that benefits.
Iya, for so many mths, Sha takes care of her books.
BUT yesterday I had to punish with "Mr Right".
Can you imagine I have to chase after her once I got hold of "Mr Right"? (I don't know if I should laugh or get angry)
When G came back, she complained: "Shasha book right beat hand pain"
Then I asked" Are you supposed to tear the page of your book?"
Her reply: " No no no, right beat". Then she pointed at Mr Right and said "keep"
I followed by giving her a big kiss and big hug.
This is the way Sha is talking now, trying to make sentences..... wahahahahahaha!

Elmo
Sha loves the Ladybird CD with book.
Listening to the music then flip each single page. Sometimes she wants me to play the CD again, which occupy her for almost 1 hr.

Sharon
Here is my magic word: "Shasha, if you don't want me to clean you, ants will come"
She is quite pananoid about ants.
Because whenever I see ants on the floor, I will tell her it is because she dirties the floor, that is why ants come to our house and ants will bite.

CG-
she handles the paper pages well too? wow.
sidney will crush the pages one by one if i dun hold his paperbacks..now just picture my heart crumbling alongside.

sharon-
he flips his pages alot, bt dun think he's at the stage of staring intently at them yet, unless he's being read to. but whenever u finish the lines, (n he knows!), he immediately wans to flip the page!

elmo-
ive tot of bringin him to the playground downstairs to feed loh. very cek ark rite?

elmo
is ur condo rio vista? was there that day for the may bash..v nice pool! wif water slides, see saw etc...not many condos hv such features. hehe anyone else stays or knows anyone who stays there? would love to go there again.

pebbles, shauna, sharon
heheeh it's quite funny reading how uptight or concerned u r abt books' condition cos i'm the complete opposite! i always believe books r for reading, never mind the condition. I'm the kind who will fold corners (too lazy to look for bookmarks), highlight my books etc (of course, must be my own books lah!) But i've been blessed in this aspect cos N has always been gentle wif books from young. Din really need to remind or punish her much wrt books. Maybe my books threshold is super high!

shauna
let me go &amp; look for my looped spoons..see if they r still ard. N din really use them so can pass to u if u keen. Hee self feeding cannot be smooth &amp; easy leh...sure messy one...must loosen up in this aspect :p

Back