(2015/08) Aug 2015 Mummies

Just scan only... I did my Blood test thru harmony test liao...

He say 21weeks scan can detect got hole in heart anot.. & perhaps more details into individual organs/brains/blood vessels..

Initially i mixed up the NT & nasal bone length..

He wrote there nasal bone length 3.7mm ..

Then in my heart i was like 'NT is 3.7mm means no good!!' ..

Then later he say NT scan is 1.7mm .. Normal range.

Then i was like 'oh... Nasal bone length & NT is totally 2 different things' .. :oops:

He pass me the scan pix in a cd but i no laptop cos hubby bought laptop overseas liao.. So i cant view..

Today i go is to 买一个安心 .. :D

Congrats on the good results. Gosh really not that pricey compared to Harmony test :)

So genetic scanning will be scans no no further tests, like bloodtests etc?

Did dr comment on how different genetic scanning is compared to the week 20 detailed scan?

Last edited:

Just scan only... I did my Blood test thru harmony test liao...

He say 21weeks scan can detect got hole in heart anot.. & perhaps more details into individual organs/brains/blood vessels..

Initially i mixed up the NT & nasal bone length..

He wrote there nasal bone length 3.7mm ..

Then in my heart i was like 'NT is 3.7mm means no good!!' ..

Then later he say NT scan is 1.7mm .. Normal range.

Then i was like 'oh... Nasal bone length & NT is totally 2 different things' .. :oops:

He pass me the scan pix in a cd but i no laptop cos hubby bought laptop overseas liao.. So i cant view..

Today i go is to 买一个安心 .. :D

That's great, peace of mind is so very important.

Must be quite a scare. NT gotta be under 2mm, as for nasal bone I'm
not too sure. I just told myself ok when gynae says it's all good heee... I think my NT was 1.13mm.

I think oscar is impt in the scanning portion cos they look at structural growth. If there is a way to combine both that will be good. In my first kid the oscar detected potential heart problem which led to further monitoring before the 20 week detailed scan so in a way it is still useful but maybe not as useful in detecting chromosomal abnormalities. Just some thoughts.

Thanks for sharing. When I read up on Oscar scan, it always says it's purely to detect Trisomy 21 -> down syndrome. No mention of other detections. Is your first child potential heart issue detection from the oscar bloodtest? Just find it puzzling why sources say oscar is for Trisomy 21 only.

Then the Harmony test detects Trisomy 21, Trisomy 13, Trisomy 18. So it appears Harmony does more than Oscar, just be reading the sources online.

Am confused as a result.

For pantang sake, if you wish to follow a wee bit, perhaps can get the large items like cot during a 'good' month, ie 7th or 8th mth per your mil suggestion. Otherwise can ignore her too.

Oh I know!! u can pay for the cot first but arrange for delivery during that auspicious period :) I think we did that. the cot was only delivered after my no.1 was born. But seriously, u can ignore the traditions if it bothers u more to follow them.
Any idea if at the baby fair, will they provide delivery to my hse? Any minimum spending needed?

Thanks for sharing. When I read up on Oscar scan, it always says it's purely to detect Trisomy 21 -> down syndrome. No mention of other detections. Is your first child potential heart issue detection from the oscar bloodtest? Just find it puzzling why sources say oscar is for Trisomy 21 only.

Then the Harmony test detects Trisomy 21, Trisomy 13, Trisomy 18. So it appears Harmony does more than Oscar, just be reading the sources online.

Am confused as a result.

yesterday I was asking the staffs there why gyane never recommend me harmony test instead since it can detect more, they explained it depends on individual gyane judgement on our condition. Anyway, I just follow whatever gyane asked me to lol... I also din bother to ask my gyane.

Am confused as a result.

yesterday I was asking the staffs there why gyane never recommend me harmony test instead since it can detect more, they explained it depends on individual gyane judgement on our condition. Anyway, I just follow whatever gyane asked me to lol... I also din bother to ask my gyane.

When i 10weeks tat time, my gynae intro both test to me..

Gave me a piece of paper wif info on the 2 tests.. But before tat i alrdy knew harmony test has higher accuracy.. & oscar like always false positive, then end up have to do harmony to re-cfm.

Then he ask me go home think abt it but I make appt on the spot..

So is like beta to read up more so u know roughly wat is gg on.. Wat are the test/scan to be expected at diff stages

For pantang sake, if you wish to follow a wee bit, perhaps can get the large items like cot during a 'good' month, ie 7th or 8th mth per your mil suggestion. Otherwise can ignore her too.

Oh I know!! u can pay for the cot first but arrange for delivery during that auspicious period :) I think we did that. the cot was only delivered after my no.1 was born. But seriously, u can ignore the traditions if it bothers u more to follow them.
Ya my friend oso say pantang la n etc... but mw dun believe all these hahahah .... i rather buy everything now then later on get so tired shopping for baby stuff

I bought the
Any idea if at the baby fair, will they provide delivery to my hse? Any minimum spending needed?

I bought the cot at Baby Fair expo, can choose delivery date and delivers to home. Mine was quite a real bargain too, Sears cot (selling at metro) for $150 only. I think most places selling cot for abt $300+ range.

I'm above 35, and oscar test is less accurate for above 35, hence gynea recommended Harmony. Many of his patient above 35 had false alarms with a Oscar tests hence he feels Harmony is more suitable.

I did Oscar for my first pregnancy. I was less than 35 then. I was sharing earlier here that amongst my 30+ forum friends who did oscar few years ago, I realised 3 kids had trisomy 13 conditions which weren't picked up by Oscar test. From reading online sources, It appears that Oscar doesn't test for Trisomy 13 and Trisomy 18 but Harmony does test for these 2 on top of down syndrome - Trisomy 21. If Oscar did test for Trisomy 13, then Oscar would have given my these 3 friends inaccurate results because they didn't know that their babies have these conditions until birth. So for 3 kids outta our 30+ kids, it's about 1 in 10, translated to 10% inaccuracy which is what Oscar results claims - 90% accuracy.

This is purely my deduction as I rethink back.

But so far no Down Syndrome amongst our 30+ kids.

So I feel for those under 35, Oscar is still a very good guide. Perhaps you can further discuss with your gynea to get more information if you feel the need cos I may have missed out on something, above just purely my observations.

Dear ladies,

Just to update on the genetic scanning which i did earlier at 12pm wif dr ananda.

Took abt 45min for the ultrasound.

Went through diff part of bb organs.. He will indicate the left kidney, right kidney, liver, fingers, toes..

Dr say everything 'seems' normal...

He manage to tel me the gender also though i alrdy knew it thru the harmony test..

Hmmm.. He give me a copy of the report & he will fax over to my gynae as well..

Cost of the scan is $450

He scheduled me for a detailed 21st week scan in march.
how far along are you? When can the ultrasound give doc an idea of the gender? I'm only 11 weeks in and can't wait to find out but don't think I wanna spend on the harmony test unless necessary.

I am 14w5d i think..

I think depends on the scan machine the doc is using & if he 'experienced' enuff & cooperation of your 'tenant' inside.. Hehe..

Not very sure also..

Some maybe dun wan commit so fast to u.

When i was 12w, did a scan with my own gynae, he did try to help me check out the gender but after looking thru few min.. He say 'i cant comment' :rolleyes:

how far along are you? When can the ultrasound give doc an idea of the gender? I'm only 11 weeks in and can't wait to find out but don't think I wanna spend on the harmony test unless necessary.

oic... maybe just try to request for videoing each time u get a scan done. perhaps will meet a kind-soul sonographer :)

The Oscars scan and detailed scan will be done with the Thomson clinic where they don't allow video-recording because I saw the sticker that said no. Not sure why.
As for other normal scans, will be done with my gynae, so maybe can ask her if she allows video-recording. :)

I have asked during my oscar scan yesterday, the staffs mentioned during 12 weeks to 15 weeks, gender will not be accurately seen as both gender will have the same "shape". The gender organs will only be slowly formed after that. Therefore my next genetic scan will be on the beginning of april, which is 20th week. By then, they can accurately tells me the gender of the bb.

I bought the

I bought the cot at Baby Fair expo, can choose delivery date and delivers to home. Mine was quite a real bargain too, Sears cot (selling at metro) for $150 only. I think most places selling cot for abt $300+ range.
Such good deal? Wow... I saw online seller brand new cot was btw $129 to $169.. probably I will wait till bb fair to buy haha. Mu hubby dun like wood material, but I tot all cot are made in wood? Haha...

Vermont, which nationality maid are you thinking of looking for? If indo, i suggest u get her in by june instead. Cos july they hari raya you may not find that many willing to come out. Most likely they only want to come after hari raya. Otherwise i think a good guide is to start about 2 to 3 months. Cos sometimes the chosen maid fail medical etc need to select again or in some cases they go back on their word so give some buffer better.

My first oscar had a scan and blood test. The scan showed potential heart problem so we went back at 15 weeks. The second scan gave all clear for heart development. So oscar scan can still help in some ways. For me it was the blood test results that was not good.

Yup, sane >o<
Feeling unsure whether I can go through it all over again.... haha

The feel is like "back to school" again, I never even realise that there are 3 types of Avent bottles now, no 2 will be using the same brands as no 1 :)

So angry just now!!.:mad::mad:

Was doing survey price recently at metro, kiddy palace etc. Suddenly MIL say dont buy anything before 7th 8th months. I told her I will buy some stuffs during April during bb fair due to attractive discount. I explained i will not buy clothes, only baby pram, milk bottles or breastpump if there is really good discount etc. She keep saying NO cuz patang.. later bb come out very naughty blah blah blah... I told hubby that im not gonna care and listen and he scolded me for being stubborn not listening to elderly. :mad:

Any MTBs here listen to all this thing? Thou there are certain things have to listen, but I dun agree all have to follow lo... :( So angry and sad! Doesnt know how to explain to my hubby abt my anger. Haiz...

Unlike the mummies who has pass downs or existing bb stuff, I've started from 0 so gotta prepare the stuff now.
I understand that feeling, see so many cute stuff but gotta lun and yet cannot buy, 很难受。
I have already brought some stuff fr mothercare fair, think most likely will chiong the Apr baby fair, by that time will be almost in the 7th month too:D

Vermont, which nationality maid are you thinking of looking for? If indo, i suggest u get her in by june instead. Cos july they hari raya you may not find that many willing to come out. Most likely they only want to come after hari raya. Otherwise i think a good guide is to start about 2 to 3 months. Cos sometimes the chosen maid fail medical etc need to select again or in some cases they go back on their word so give some buffer better.

My first oscar had a scan and blood test. The scan showed potential heart problem so we went back at 15 weeks. The second scan gave all clear for heart development. So oscar scan can still help in some ways. For me it was the blood test results that was not good.

I see. So start searching 2-3 months earlier, meaning if I aim to start maid in July then I'll start the search April-May.

Indo ones, can we request them to not fast? Should we allow them pray daily?

During my last scan, gynae looked at the NT and nose bridge, he declared. good then says the rest will depend on Harmony test results. He didn't mention the heart :( Maybe cos he really wasn't doing a full fledged oscar scan for me, no additional charge.

Hi, can I check at which week did u do Ur Oscar? And what will the blood test actually shows about the baby? Thank u for sharing...

The Oscars scan and detailed scan will be done with the Thomson clinic where they don't allow video-recording because I saw the sticker that said no. Not sure why.
As for other normal scans, will be done with my gynae, so maybe can ask her if she allows video-recording. :)

I see. I thought you can't video during your regular scans :) Then it's all good. I also wanna video again next visit. Cos now quite slack, didn't request hubby to come to scans with me, so at least can show him the videos.

if i'm not wrong, it's a personal group within the person's fb account cos we need to add each other as friends. from the rest of the groups that i joined, i don't need to add the admin as friends before joining.

@little_eel
1: unless your fren is in the group already and add u den dun need add me. yr fren can u in directly. many are doing that.
2: those u dun need add admin is coz its a closed group not secret . its diff. closed group mean you can easily find when type group name in fb den u just cick join and wait for admin to accept. secret means nobody can find the group. hope this clarify yr doubt
3: and yes its a secret. only member in the group can see what member post

Last edited:
Such good deal? Wow... I saw online seller brand new cot was btw $129 to $169.. probably I will wait till bb fair to buy haha. Mu hubby dun like wood material, but I tot all cot are made in wood? Haha...

There are 2 plastic covers on top of the cot rail, so that baby won't be buying into the wood. I also thought cots are all build with wood :)

i am the last few among my friends to be preggy.. :p

Few of them know liao so tey say will pass me pram, cot, clothings & toys..

Tey say all these add up alot of costs... Ask me dun waste $$..

Of course i myself will wan to shop ard also.. See those cute cute clothings, cannot resist. Haha.. :oops:

i am the last few among my friends to be preggy.. :p

Few of them know liao so tey say will pass me pram, cot, clothings & toys..

Tey say all these add up alot of costs... Ask me dun waste $$..

Of course i myself will wan to shop ard also.. See those cute cute clothings, cannot resist. Haha.. :oops:

i have pram and many toys.. not getting cot this time... a bit lazy to shop for #3... cause i have both gender stuff at home. haha

I see. So start searching 2-3 months earlier, meaning if I aim to start maid in July then I'll start the search April-May.

During my last scan, gynae looked at the NT and nose bridge, he declared. good then says the rest will depend on Harmony test results. He didn't mention the heart :( Maybe cos he really wasn't doing a full fledged oscar scan for me, no additional charge.
The fasting part i left it up to my maid to decide. In the end she didn't fast cos my mil told her not to cos i think scared later she cannot take it. So i think she did only one or two meals fasting. As for praying i believe most agencies would already have told them they cannot pray when working. So far i have not seen any who says they need to stop work to pray so i believe not an issue too.
But it is still so hard to select a good one. Everytime interview everything sure say ok ok. Come here then it is another matter. Sigh...

Hi, can I check at which week did u do Ur Oscar? And what will the blood test actually shows about the baby? Thank u for sharing...
Hi i did oscar blood test at week 9 and oscar scan at week 11. Kkh calls it first tri screening. The blood test show beta hcg and papp a levels. Combined with the scan it will give you a risk for trisomy 21, 18 &,13. The scan measures nt levels and checks visibility of major organs and nasal bone.
Hope this helps.

Hi i did oscar blood test at week 9 and oscar scan at week 11. Kkh calls it first tri screening. The blood test show beta hcg and papp a levels. Combined with the scan it will give you a risk for trisomy 21, 18 &,13. The scan measures nt levels and checks visibility of major organs and nasal bone.
Hope this helps.

why separate days? i did both blood and scanning for oscar on same day at week 12

Best to start early. You'll need time to train the helper too.. If you're lucky, she learns fast. If not... Aiyo.

Hmm.. I think it's up to your arrangement with the helper but I think a bit of tolerance for religion makes everyone a bit happier. My mom's indo helpers all fasted. One of them also prayed daily. As long as they do their chores and all properly, i don't think my mom ever had any issues.

The feel is like "back to school" again, I never even realise that there are 3 types of Avent bottles now, no 2 will be using the same brands as no 1 :)

Unlike the mummies who has pass downs or existing bb stuff, I've started from 0 so gotta prepare the stuff now.
I understand that feeling, see so many cute stuff but gotta lun and yet cannot buy, 很难受。
I have already brought some stuff fr mothercare fair, think most likely will chiong the Apr baby fair, by that time will be almost in the 7th month too:D

haha sane, it's really 'back to school' again! best part is, i don't even remember what had I previously prepared for my gal since it's been quite a while... :p
now, i'll need to google the list of items to prepare for newborns... sweat ar! Lol :D

When is ur EDD? Cuz during april baby fair, im in my 5th month only. Haha

haha sane, it's really 'back to school' again! best part is, i don't even remember what had I previously prepared for my gal since it's been quite a while... :p
now, i'll need to google the list of items to prepare for newborns... sweat ar! Lol :D

Don't need to Google, just walk round the baby fairs and u will have a feeling of
Déjà vu again. Only thing is this time u r more sure what to buy and what to avoid. :D

When is ur EDD? Cuz during april baby fair, im in my 5th month only. Haha

My EDD is in mid Jul but my kakis are over here :D
For my no 1, I started buying at Taka fair after my detailed scan. The bundle sales is indeed cheaper.
I think the Apr fair is more of pre order, perhaps u can place order first then delivery later like stroller and bulk items like wipes, diapers. ;)

Earlier I just took out my FILE. contains all my no.1 preggy prep notes...looks daunting and it's still sitting there untouched lol... for me, major item is probably carseat. The others I think just use my girls. and lotsa small little things to get.

I've loaned out all my 'entertainment' devices since my girl turned 1yo, the rocker, bb portable bed, bb playgym, playyard, playmat, Bright Starts doodle bug, Bumbo seat, etc. Have to slowly crawl them back.

Don't need to Google, just walk round the baby fairs and u will have a feeling of
Déjà vu again. Only thing is this time u r more sure what to buy and what to avoid. :D

My EDD is in mid Jul but my kakis are over here :D
For my no 1, I started buying at Taka fair after my detailed scan. The bundle sales is indeed cheaper.
I think the Apr fair is more of pre order, perhaps u can place order first then delivery later like stroller and bulk items like wipes, diapers. ;)

heee...so cute. so how u stumbled upon aug mummies?

Thank slchua, sane. Any reason why Myanmar maid isn't preferred?
I hear Myanmar maid takes longer time to train. And some can be from very ulu village, and don't know how to operate rice cooker, washing machine etc... end up lots of home appliance spoil o_O and language is a problem if their english is not good...
just my 2 cents... heard all these from my colleagues...

i'm also hiring maid this time round...

Back